PDA

View Full Version : What if Big Ben was black?

Shotgun35
03-18-2010, 06:30 AM
This writer just touches on something I thought was an interesting point:

http://www.blueworkhorse.com/articles/nfl/big-ben-its-3-strikes-and-you-are-out

What if Big Ben was black? Or god forbid if it was Donovan McNabb would have been accused of these actions, what would Eagles fans reaction have been?

steeldawg
03-18-2010, 06:45 AM
what if ben was chinese

steeldawg
03-18-2010, 06:46 AM
what if ben was an alien

steeldawg
03-18-2010, 06:47 AM
what if ben actually had sexual assault charges against him?

HometownGal
03-18-2010, 06:48 AM

What if Big Ben was black? Or god forbid if it was Donovan McNabb would have been accused of these actions, what would Eagles fans reaction have been?

I absolutely hate when anyone - especially writers - play the race card. It's a non-issue to me.

Eagles fans are an absolutely crazy lot and most of 'em don't like McNabb anyway, so they'd probably be a lot harder on him than most Steelers fans have been on Ben.

Donovan is happily married with a couple of kids - Ben is single with no children and appears to possess and over-inflated coconut which seems to be chock full of poor judgment and bad decision-making. However, the poor judgment and bad decision making aren't against the law, but it may come down to being against the Rooney law at some point and that wouldn't bode well for Ben.

steeldawg
03-18-2010, 06:49 AM
Can somebody please explain to me how the civil suit in Nevada was Ben putting himself in a bad situation?

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-18-2010, 06:50 AM

What the writer doesnt seem to comprehend is that McNabb is an awful comparison to make. Yes....McNabb would be chased out of town on rail. Not because of race but because of a pre-existing love/hate relationship between Donovan and the Eagles fans, many who would find ANY excuse worthy of getting rid of him.

Milkman
03-18-2010, 06:56 AM
What if Ben's last name was Dover? :tt:

plenewken
03-18-2010, 06:56 AM
However, the poor judgment and bad decision making aren't against the law.

It's the Law of PA to have insurance and a MC license (or learner's permit) to operate a motorcycle. Ben had neither of them.

HometownGal
03-18-2010, 07:03 AM
It's the Law of PA to have insurance and a MC license (or learner's permit) to operate a motorcycle. Ben had neither of them.

While you are correct, I wasn't referring to his motorycle accident in my post, but that would fall in line with poor judgment and bad decision making too. :drink:

steeldawg
03-18-2010, 07:04 AM

He did get a $388 fine but if he was black i believe the fine would of been closer to $400. :sofunny:

USWsteeler
03-18-2010, 07:06 AM
Can somebody please explain to me how the civil suit in Nevada was Ben putting himself in a bad situation?

A yeah... the lady said Ben raped her = BAD SITUATION.

Pittsky
03-18-2010, 07:08 AM

what if i told everyone you like to bang goats? would that be a bad situation too?:chuckle:

Pittsky
03-18-2010, 07:09 AM
only difference between him being white or black is Al Sharpton......i can't stand that POS

steeldawg
03-18-2010, 07:10 AM

Its an allegation and has nothing to do with ben putting himself in the situation for that to happen. It doesnt take much for someone to make an allegation.

GBMelBlount
03-18-2010, 07:45 AM
If Ben was black I would imagine he would be a tad faster and probably not get sacked quite so much.

Just sayin.

fat4jc
03-18-2010, 07:49 AM
My guess he really would be BIG Ben.

vrabinec
03-18-2010, 08:00 AM
What if my bull had tits? Could I milk it?

Pittsky
03-18-2010, 08:02 AM
If Ben was black I would imagine he would be a tad faster and probably not get sacked quite so much.

Just sayin.

:rofl:

SteelerFanInStl
03-18-2010, 08:08 AM
That's just what we need, someone bringing race into this. :banging:

Curtain_of_Steel
03-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Perhaps he is?lol

Emmitt Smith just found out he some whitey in him, and his great great grandaddy was his familiies slave owner.
Now Micheal Irvin wants to know if he is white too. Of course Irvin think he might be able to get away with more if he is.

The bottom line is, if your guilty your guilty, if your not your not. Everyone in this country judges very quickly anymore, and the press and the internet bs doesn't help. BB doesn't hang with a posse like Vick and iverson, doesn't appear to have been packing a loaded weapon(gun that is,lol). Everyone handle themselves differently, some have the persona of being guilty, regardless of race/color or alien stature. AKA thug like.

Wow this string went from what if BB was black, to BB being a chinese alien, to running mcnabb out of town, to riding on a motorcylce without a permit. Talk about a group needing some ritalin, lol After 10 posts no less.
J/K Don't get your thongs all bunched up now.

BigBen'sSwagger
03-18-2010, 08:34 AM
I don't know maybe we should ask Donte Stallworth what he thinks about if Ben were Black.

fansince'76
03-18-2010, 08:58 AM
I don't know maybe we should ask Donte Stallworth what he thinks about if Ben were Black.

Or Leonard Little. Or Pacman Jones. Or O.J. Simpson....

Godfather
03-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Well, the closest analogy is Kobe and the DNA evidence saved him.

GodfatherofSoul
03-18-2010, 10:00 AM
I think race does have something to do with the way some players are portrayed. Favre has always been treated like a golden boy, yet he's had all sorts of off-field problems including drug addiction. You look at guys like TO and Chad Johnson who's only crime is being an arrogant, prick and they get the same bad press as Lawrence Phillips.

Haven't we all worked with jerkwad employees, but we have the ability to handle it. Who cares about personality?

pete74
03-18-2010, 10:06 AM
I think race does have something to do with the way some players are portrayed. Favre has always been treated like a golden boy, yet he's had all sorts of off-field problems including drug addiction. You look at guys like TO and Chad Johnson who's only crime is being an arrogant, prick and they get the same bad press as Lawrence Phillips.

Haven't we all worked with jerkwad employees, but we have the ability to handle it. Who cares about personality?

i agree 100% and its a shame

MACH1
03-18-2010, 10:07 AM
What if Ben was Korean.

GBMelBlount
03-18-2010, 10:11 AM
What if Ben was Korean.

He'd probably have better judgment and wouldn't be so expensive.

steeldawg
03-18-2010, 10:11 AM
the only thing ive ever seen the media portray about TO and chad johnson is that they are distraction or poor teammates which i think is a fair assesment

pete74
03-18-2010, 10:13 AM
the only thing ive ever seen the media portray about TO and chad johnson is that they are distraction or poor teammates which i think is a fair assesment

do you feel ben is a poor teamate? why do you feel to and cj are? just curious

SteelersinCA
03-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Well, the closest analogy is Kobe and the DNA evidence saved him.

Yeah, 6 other dudes DNA!!!!:chuckle:

steeldawg
03-18-2010, 10:17 AM
do you feel ben is a poor teamate? why do you feel to and cj are? just curious

TO is a poor teammate
cj is a distraction
no i dont think ben is a bad teammate

steeldawg
03-18-2010, 10:22 AM
He was making the arguement that TO and CJ are portrayed as criminals cause they black....Im simply saying there not portrayed as a criminals just unlikable characters. They put themselves in the limelight and they love it and so does the media. Bens situation is a legal matter which is totally different. The media or the league cant act on the case because they have no details or charges so it would be foolish to make any decisions on ben without knowing the facts

BigBen'sSwagger
03-18-2010, 11:12 AM

Marvin Harrison seemed to have problems just go away, just like Ray Lewis and how bout Donte Stallworth?

pete74
03-18-2010, 11:20 AM
He was making the arguement that TO and CJ are portrayed as criminals cause they black....Im simply saying there not portrayed as a criminals just unlikable characters. They put themselves in the limelight and they love it and so does the media. Bens situation is a legal matter which is totally different. The media or the league cant act on the case because they have no details or charges so it would be foolish to make any decisions on ben without knowing the facts

actually the leauge can make a decision on ben before he is found guilty if they wanted to. they have done so in the past.

the reason i asked about ben was because there are all kinds of stories going around about ben being a prick to different watiers/waitresses, blowing off signings, not being a team player and the 2 sexualt assult charges. i was curious how you judged someone from a different team then the team you love.

personally i like ben, to and cj. there all some of the best athletes at there respected positions. i hear rumors about to and cj but as long as there not breaking the law and producing on the field i respect them. same with ben. like i said, im just curious to see how others felt

pete74
03-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Marvin Harrison seemed to have problems just go away, just like Ray Lewis and how bout Donte Stallworth?

marvin settled out of court. i wouldnt be surprised if ben did the same if he knew there was enough evidence against him. who knows if this girl will except though, i gurentee she will be filing a civil suit

steeldawg
03-18-2010, 11:32 AM
marvin settled out of court. i wouldnt be surprised if ben did the same if he knew there was enough evidence against him. who knows if this girl will except though, i gurentee she will be filing a civil suit

Well this is his point that its not an issue of race there are so many different cases and circumstances. People are so quick to say if he was black the league would have suspended him already, but show me another case with the same circumstances that goodell has suspended him before hearing if hes guilty or innocent.

BigBen'sSwagger
03-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Well this is his point that its not an issue of race there are so many different cases and circumstances. People are so quick to say if he was black the league would have suspended him already, but show me another case with the same circumstances that goodell has suspended him before hearing if hes guilty or innocent.

You got it!!!

SteelCityMom
03-18-2010, 11:36 AM

While you are partially right, another thing that plays a major part in this is the internet. When Favre had all his problems the WWW wasn't as big as it is now, you couldn't just click on 100 websites and read all the latest celebrity gossip, so none of it was as rampant as stuff that happens to athletes today. You better believe that if Favre was still a drug using skirt chaser, it would be all over the place.

stlrtruck
03-18-2010, 11:49 AM
My answer to the original article...."What if my aunt had a penis?"

There's too many WHAT-IFs. I mean I could list a few for myself:

1) What if I had actually gone to Penn State like I planned?
2) What if I had played the right 7 numbers on the 130 million dollar power ball?
3) What if I had stayed in the military?
4) What if I lost an arm/leg because of some freak accident?
5) What if my mom was American and my dad was African? (this one has a hint of sarcasm)

Shoes
03-18-2010, 11:58 AM
........IF my dog didn't stop to take a S**T, I would've got a rabbit... that's a Southwestern Pa special :chuckle:

Vincent
03-18-2010, 12:08 PM
What if Ben was Korean.

His Mother would have beaten him to death the first time. Then sent him out for groceries.

Nadroj 20
03-18-2010, 12:10 PM
IF i was 7'5" i COULD be in the NBA.

Pittsky
03-18-2010, 12:11 PM
if big ben was black they'd tell him to leave walmart....

chacha
03-18-2010, 12:14 PM
^ :rofl:

SteelerEmpire
03-18-2010, 12:52 PM
I think that still in this country that a black man would 'more likely' to have to prove himself innocent of an accusation (guilty until proof of innocence). While a white man's accuser would more likely have the burden of proof on 'their' shoulder's (innocence until proof of guilt).
I'm just sayin that's the way it still currently is... a pattern of thought by still a lot of people... At least when it comes to high profile celebrities this seems to be the case (I'm talking about 'public opinion')... but there are also a lot of people that don't think that way as well ...

xbroughneck
03-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Ok...

.me...a black guy...who is a Steeler fan...thinks the "what if Ben were black?" question is kinda pointless.

If he were black with two super bowl rings we'd be saying that same damn thing. If he'd won two super bowls Steeler fans wouldn't give a rats ass if he were green, purple magenta.....

What if it were Hines Ward?

What if it were the BUS?

I don't even understand why "I" bothered to respond.
Pointless thread.

GBMelBlount
03-18-2010, 02:07 PM
What if Ben was actually the reincarnation of Andre the Giant?

Again, this is purely hypothetical.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?u=3201&dateline=1263231878

http://thephantasmagoricals.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/mugshot__andre-the-giant1.jpg

steelerdave1969
03-18-2010, 02:26 PM
I am as white as a person can get and I am Now Way a Racist. I have thought the same thing a while back and If Ben were black he would have already been wrote up. Or if it had been someone like me out here that just tries to work hard for a living and not a super star. I love the Steelers but Ben is not the only celebrity that gets their ways in everything ;that goes on their lives.

SteelersinCA
03-18-2010, 02:30 PM
I can't believe this is a thread.

Cinnjerm
03-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Ok...

.me...a black guy...who is a Steeler fan...thinks the "what if Ben were black?" question is kinda pointless.

If he were black with two super bowl rings we'd be saying that same damn thing. If he'd won two super bowls Steeler fans wouldn't give a rats ass if he were green, purple magenta.....

What if it were Hines Ward?

What if it were the BUS?

I don't even understand why "I" bothered to respond.
Pointless thread.

Co-sign. I'm black as well and this question is tired. I mean, consider the track record. Ray Lewis killed a man and is still playing ball. /thread

NJarhead
03-18-2010, 03:36 PM
What if Big Ben was black?

He'd be the first black QB to win two SB's.

:coffee:

GodfatherofSoul
03-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Co-sign. I'm black as well and this question is tired. I mean, consider the track record. Ray Lewis killed a man and is still playing ball. /thread

Ray Lewis didn't kill anyone. But, everyone still *thinks* he did.

steeldawg
03-18-2010, 03:57 PM
I think that still in this country that a black man would 'more likely' to have to prove himself innocent of an accusation (guilty until proof of innocence). While a white man's accuser would more likely have the burden of proof on 'their' shoulder's (innocence until proof of guilt).
I'm just sayin that's the way it still currently is... a pattern of thought by still a lot of people... At least when it comes to high profile celebrities this seems to be the case (I'm talking about 'public opinion')... but there are also a lot of people that don't think that way as well ...

how can u say thats how it is..... the only way you could say that is to compare like cases with the same circumstances and for an overwhelming amount of the cases to be in favor of the white athelete. I cant see it

NJarhead
03-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Ray Lewis didn't kill anyone. But, everyone still *thinks* he did.

He was an accessory and was able to plea down to obstruction. Don't kid yourself.

MasterOfPuppets
03-18-2010, 04:09 PM
i thought for sure this would be a jason whitlock article....:noidea:

JEFF4i
03-18-2010, 04:43 PM
What if Ben was actually planted into the Steelers years ago by a communist agency outside of the influence of international law that seeks to not only take over the NFL, but use it to enslave the millions of football fans in this country to their will and ultimately, take over the planet.

steeldawg
03-18-2010, 04:47 PM
if ben were black his mother would have alot to explain to his father

MattsMe
03-18-2010, 04:56 PM
i thought for sure this would be a jason whitlock article....:noidea:

:chuckle: Me too.

tony hipchest
03-18-2010, 07:07 PM
What if Ben's last name was Dover? :tt:

this. :chuckle:

i am almost 100% certain that big ben is the first white qb to earn sb rings for 3 black back-up qb's in the same year.

infact the steelers may be the first team to ever even have 3 black qb's on their roster in the same year (batch, dixon, leftwich).

how bout that? :tt:

Vincent
03-18-2010, 07:26 PM

It wasn't until GB swerved into this... http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=787641&postcount=48

What if Ben was actually planted into the Steelers years ago by a communist agency outside of the influence of international law that seeks to not only take over the NFL, but use it to enslave the millions of football fans in this country to their will and ultimately, take over the planet.

Now we're getting somewhere.

steeldawg
03-18-2010, 07:37 PM
It wasn't until GB swerved into this... http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=787641&postcount=48

so you got a picture of bens dad, big deal :sofunny:

stillers4me
03-18-2010, 07:56 PM
this. :chuckle:

i am almost 100% certain that big ben is the first white qb to earn sb rings for 3 black back-up qb's in the same year.

infact the steelers may be the first team to ever even have 3 black qb's on their roster in the same year (batch, dixon, leftwich).

how bout that? :tt:

Did you know Mike Tomlin is black?

GBMelBlount
03-18-2010, 07:56 PM
JEFF4i

Vincent

:toofunny:

This thread is going south fast.....thankfully. :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
03-18-2010, 07:59 PM

Huh. Never noticed. :noidea:

tony hipchest
03-18-2010, 08:05 PM

i always just thought that was his hair, beard, and winter coat/steelers windbreaker.

:idea: this gives me a great idea!

im off to start a What if Mike Tomlin was white? thread :cya:

what this board really needs is a What if the Rooneys were Jewish? thread!

tony hipchest
03-18-2010, 08:11 PM
i got an even better idea... What if Mike Tomlin were white, the Rooneys were Jewish, and Big Ben was Marques Tuiassosopo?

http://espn.go.com/i/editorial/2006/0518/photo/ben_roethlisberger_cheese2_275.jpg

JEFF4i
03-18-2010, 08:13 PM
What if Mike Tomlin really is the guy from House?

NJarhead
03-18-2010, 08:18 PM
:toofunny:

This thread is going south fast.....thankfully. :chuckle:
:rofl:

"Going South?" This thread started in the basement. :chuckle:

NJarhead
03-18-2010, 08:19 PM
i always just thought that was his hair, beard, and winter coat/steelers windbreaker.

:idea: this gives me a great idea!

im off to start a What if Mike Tomlin was white? thread :cya:

what this board really needs is a What if the Rooneys were Jewish? thread!
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

harts
03-18-2010, 08:43 PM
I like the question somewhat

But how about we word it this way.......

If Ben was black would he have been able to carry himself in the same way as he has, as the franchise QB of the Steelers?

From what I have read about Ben in the papers and how he has conducted himself I would say no

Could Donovan McNabb get away with what Ben has done without severe public backlash and/or suspension?
I dont think so

personally
I do think public perception and criticism could be a little more harsh on Ben.

But I am glad it is not because I am a Steeler Fan

I am a Steeler Fan to the day I die and I think Ben is being protected media wise.... maybe not in PA but I dont live there so I cant comment on PA

I just wish Ben would clean his act up or handle himself in a way that these incidents dont happen.

I really dont care if Ben is being rude to a waitress or tells a autograph requestor to go dig a ditch

I dont know Ben personally and I dont really care if I ever meet him

I just want him to perform to the best of his abilities and help bring the #7 Lombardi back home

HometownGal
03-18-2010, 08:57 PM

I can't believe I even replied to this nonsense. :banging: I've already had several complaints about the topic of this thread so I'm going to have to lock it down - sorry.