PDA

View Full Version : What's Ben's Guaranteed Money left on his Deal?

desertsteel
03-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Anyone know? This would have to be a huge factor if worse comes to worse. Also, I assume there's no cap hit due to the uncapped year, correct?

Chidi29
03-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Doesn't matter. Here or not, we'll have to pay that money.

pete74
03-19-2010, 06:52 PM

no we dont. if he is guilty the the contract can be voided

desertsteel
03-20-2010, 04:38 PM

Umm me thinks you're wrong. A team is only on the hook for guaranteed money, not the whole contract. The rest would just count against the cap. But the cap hit is not a factor in the 2010 uncapped year. So if we cut him, the only ramification would be the loss of guaranteed money.

Does anyone know this figure?

desertsteel
03-21-2010, 08:26 AM
All contracts for Steelers..

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_contracts.aspx?sport=NFL&majteam=PIT

Still doesn't say how much of the 33.2 that was guaranteed there is left. 25.2 was a signing bonus and he's due 8 in 2010, just not sure how much of that is guaranteed. My opinion is that if it comes down to it, this will play a role in whether we release him or not.

Ben Roethlisberger Quarterback 3/3/2008: Signed an eight-year, $102 million contract. The deal contains $33.2 million guaranteed, including a $25.2 million signing bonus. Also included is a clause forbidding Roethlisberger from participating in "hazardous activities," e.g. riding a motorcycle with no helmet. 2009: $4.75 million (+ $3 million roster bonus due in March), 2010: $8.05 million, 2011-2014: $11.6 million, 2015: $12.1 million, 2016: Free Agent

pete74
03-21-2010, 08:50 AM
we wouldnt have to pay him another dime if we released him. we can fight he voided the contract and he wouldnt see another penny.

Galax Steeler
03-21-2010, 08:57 AM
we wouldnt have to pay him another dime if we released him. we can fight he voided the contract and he wouldnt see another penny.

I am not disagreeing with you but why wouldn't we have to give him the guaranteed money.:noidea:

mesaSteeler
03-21-2010, 09:23 AM
3/21/2010 3:33 AM
http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/localsports/3-21-Steigerwald
Rooneys may want some money back from Ben
By John Steigerwald

Think Dan Rooney would like to have some of that money back?

Regardless of how Ben Roethlisberger's Georgia Problem is resolved, you have to think the Rooneys have seen enough of him.

They're doing a good job of saying as little in public as possible, but wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall when father and son are discussing what to do with the face of their franchise, who has turned out to be a major embarrassment?

How do you think they feel about having made Roethlisberger the highest-paid player in the NFL for the 2009 season?

They gave him a signing bonus of $12 million and a $15-million salary. He has $15 million a year coming to him for the next five years, part of his $102-million deal, which is not guaranteed.

They got more than enough out of him on the field. He was a bargain.

They also got more than enough from him off the field.

Have they had discussions about cutting him?

How about trading him?

They couldn't trade him before the Georgia Problem is resolved, and if the resolution includes Roethlisberger being in an orange jump suit, they'll have nothing to trade.

If he avoids being charged and the Rooneys want to get him out of their sight, what are they going to get for a guy with his baggage and $75 million left on his contract?

It's not the kind of situation you expect to be in after paying a guy $27 million.

• Colin Campbell probably got it right. He's the NHL's Prefect of Dubious Hits to the Head, and he let Matt Cooke of the Penguins off the hook when he decided not to suspend him after looking at video of Cooke's hit to the head of Boston's Marc Savard.

At first look, you have to ask, if there's not a suspension for that, what will get you suspended? But as Campbell pointed out in an interview on 93.7-FM The Fan, Cooke didn't use an elbow and he didn't jump. There is no rule against what he did, which was not doing enough to avoid hitting Savard in the head. There's no rule against that yet, but the general managers are working on it .

Let's face it. It was a cheap shot. Cooke appeared to take an opportunity to allow Savard's head to collide with his shoulder.

The NHL needs to have a rule that allows for long suspensions for players who pass up the opportunity to not hit a player in the head.

• Some scary news coming out of Canada: Donald Fehr is sniffing around the NHL Players Association, and there are a good number of players who would like to see him in charge.

You remember Donald? Mister sunshine?

I don't ever remember seeing him smile. I do remember how vehemently he was opposed to a salary cap when he was the head of the Major League Baseball Players Association. He refused to budge and it did wonders for a couple of generations of players whose salaries increased tenfold. It also, for all intents and purposes, destroyed baseball in several good baseball cities.

If NHL players want Fehr to head their union because they think he'll get rid of the salary cap, then they're going to be extremely disappointed. The NHL's salary cap isn't going anywhere. At least it's not if the NHL is going to survive.

If the salary cap is going away, then they should stop construction on the Consol Energy Center immediately - unless it can survive without a hockey team because there won't be one in Pittsburgh.

• Remember when we were told that using our hard-earned money to build stadiums for the Pirates and Steelers was going to do wonders for the region's economy? Since then, we were told that our hard-earned money couldn't be used to build a new arena because the economy - the one that was going to be helped by the stadiums - was bad. Then we were told they found enough of our hard-earned money to pass on an offer of a free arena and still build one at our expense.

Then we got the 10-percent tax on alcohol that raised the cost of a beer at PNC Park and Heinz Field to (I think) $28.50.

Now the mayor of Pittsburgh wants tax on sugared drinks, two cents an ounce. What will that do to the cost of a 20-ounce Coke? Get it up to $12.75?

Too bad they can't figure out a way to tax stupidity.

• Maybe the NHL should try to get its games on the Cartoon Network. Don't laugh. The Cartoon Network does pretty well. According to the recent Nielsen ratings, it has more viewers on a given night than ESPN.

John Steigerwald writes a Sunday column for the Observer-Reporter. His new Website is www.justwatchthegame.com

desertsteel
03-21-2010, 09:41 AM

It could only be voided if he's convicted. I think the Rooneys will want rid of him if he's charged (me too).

pete74
03-21-2010, 09:56 AM
I am not disagreeing with you but why wouldn't we have to give him the guaranteed money.:noidea:

i will try to find were i read it but it said if he is guilty the roonys have the choice of voiding the contract which will mean they dont owe him anything else and can even fight for this years bonus if he dosnt play a game. i didnt see the contract so i have no idea how it is worded but i assume he would have to be guilty in a court room in order for them to void it. i know they had another clause were it could be voided for riding a motorcycle as well

scsteeler
03-22-2010, 11:35 AM

I may be incorrect but all NFL contracts have a clause that voids so called guaranteed money if you are convicted of a crime and suspended by the league and can not play!

And if you have been paid any of that money upfront you could be subject to pay it back if the team or NFL request you to do so.

Chidi29
03-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Umm me thinks you're wrong. A team is only on the hook for guaranteed money, not the whole contract. The rest would just count against the cap. But the cap hit is not a factor in the 2010 uncapped year. So if we cut him, the only ramification would be the loss of guaranteed money.

Does anyone know this figure?

I'm not wrong. The OP asked what the guaranteed money was, and i said it was irrelevant because either way, we'd have to pay it. (Though you guys bring up a good point about it possibly being voided should he be convicted. I know Ben has that "dangerous activities" clause in his contract; surely there is something about illegal actions).

I never said the whole contract would be guaranteed. Just the, you know, guaranteed.

Chidi29
03-22-2010, 08:58 PM
I may be incorrect but all NFL contracts have a clause that voids so called guaranteed money if you are convicted of a crime and suspended by the league and can not play!

And if you have been paid any of that money upfront you could be subject to pay it back if the team or NFL request you to do so.

Correct, though it does seem to be a bit of a lengthy process that will likely be taken to court via the player's union.

Vick had to pay $6.5 milliuon back to the Falcons when all was said and done.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/29966430/

WeegiesWarriors
03-23-2010, 04:43 AM
The only "guaranteed" money was given to him upfront. By that website that was linked that was 25mm bucks. He's got that in the bank able to spend it on 20 year old co-eds. Looks like he got another 3mm by being on the roster in 2009. The website says he had 33mm in guaranteed but only explains the signing bonus and the roster bonus. After that, we don't owe him another penny.

Assuming the rest of the guaranteed money is in roster bonuses down the road, had this been a salary cap year we would have been hit with a cap hit of roughly 20mm if we flat out cut him. If I remember correctly from when I was really into keeping up on this stuff years ago, if we cut him after June 1 the cap hit gets spread over 2 years. Either way that's hard to take unless he's in an orange jump suit and there is no other choice. With it being uncapped it would be interesting.

markymarc
03-26-2010, 07:57 PM
3/21/2010 3:33 AM
http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/localsports/3-21-Steigerwald
Rooneys may want some money back from Ben
By John Steigerwald
They're doing a good job of saying as little in public as possible, but wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall when father and son are discussing what to do with the face of their franchise, who has turned out to be a major embarrassment?

I would like to just be a fly on the way when Dan and Art get an opportunity to sit down and speak with Ben once this mess is over with.

desertsteel
03-28-2010, 11:00 AM
The only "guaranteed" money was given to him upfront.
Don't think so. You have any facts to back that up? With the huge deals that's not usually the case

HughC
03-31-2010, 06:37 PM
The only "guaranteed" money was given to him upfront.

Don't think so. You have any facts to back that up? With the huge deals that's not usually the case
Actually that is correct. Think for a second what money is guaranteed when you sign a contract: the signing bonus and first year salary. All else beyond that has to be earned and is not guaranteed: salaries in future seasons, roster bonuses in future seasons, workout bonuses and other incentives.

In other words, all guaranteed money has already been paid.