mesaSteeler
03-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Steelers expect to open 2010 at home
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_672380.html
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, March 18, 2010
Last updated: 6:08 pm

The NFL schedule has not been set but president Art Rooney II said he expects the Steelers to open the 2010 season Sept. 12 at Heinz Field.

There has been speculation that the Steelers would open the season Sept. 9 in New Orleans against the Saints, who are reigning Super Bowl champions.

"We won't be playing in New Orleans," Rooney II said. "We have to be home that weekend because of the baseball schedule."

The Pirates are away the opening weekend of the NFL season but home the following weekend.

The Steelers and Pirates try to stagger home games when the seasons overlap because of how close Heinz Field and PNC Park are to one another.

With the Saints opening the season on Thursday and the New York Jets slated for one of the Monday night games, the Steelers are all but assured of playing their first game on Sunday.

steelerchad
03-18-2010, 09:47 PM
I love an opening day Sunday 1pm game. Nice weather, just maybe a little chill in the air. Some good tailgating and a Steeler win. I'm ready for summer to be over and it hasn't even started.

steelerdude15
03-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Awesome, a week one season opener at home is always great! Go Steelers! :tt:

Galax Steeler
03-19-2010, 03:38 AM
I love it when they open up at home get the season started out right and get the city of Pittsburgh a rocking for the new season.:tt04:

steelballs
03-19-2010, 07:47 AM
I can smell the kielbasa already....opening Sunday at home is always welcome in my book.
We can only hope that #7 will be in attendance.

Merchant
03-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Let's put that #1 opening day record to the test

stlrtruck
03-19-2010, 08:59 AM
I just hope they play their second home game before October. Tough to bring a Floridian up to Pittsburgh when what yinz call warm is cold to a little one.

fansince'76
03-19-2010, 09:05 AM
"We won't be playing in New Orleans," Rooney II said. "We have to be home that weekend because of the baseball schedule."

The Pirates are away the opening weekend of the NFL season but home the following weekend.

Aren't those kinds of scheduling conflicts why they built PNC Park? :huh:

zulater
03-20-2010, 11:15 PM
Aren't those kinds of scheduling conflicts why they built PNC Park? :huh:

I hope the Steelers don't have too many home games scheduled for October. Wouldn't want there to be conflict with all those potential Pirate playoff games.

:chuckle: