PDA

View Full Version : Steelers daily digest: Florida cornerback Joe Haden confirms he met with Mike Tomlin

mesaSteeler
03-19-2010, 07:26 AM
Steelers daily digest: Florida cornerback Joe Haden confirms he met with Mike Tomlin
March 19, 7:03 AM
Pittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m3d19-Steelers-daily-digest-Florida-cornerback-Joe-Haden-confirms-he-met-with-Mike-Tomlin

GAINSEVILLE, FLA - Although he is expected to be gone by the time the Steelers make their pick, one of the players Steeler coach Mike Tomlin and his staff interviewed during the Florida Gators Pro day at the University of Florida, was cornerback Joe Haden, this according to him.

A gifted athlete who was the first true freshman to ever start at corner for the Gators, Haden is expected to be the first cornerback selected during the April Draft.

Where he falls is still a big question mark because of his 40 time at the Combine, but he was impressive during Pro day running around a 4.58 on soggy ground and it more than likely propelled him back into the top ten, which would be out of the Steelers range.

"He's one of the hardest working guys. He's got a Tebow-type work ethic," Florida coach Urban Meyer said of Haden. "So it doesn't surprise me that he's been doing this for this long. He did shock us when we first got him. We thought he would be a very good offensive player, but he comes in and starts three years at corner and played at a high level. But once you get to see the way he works, he's blessed, has a lot of freakish ability. Great worker, one of the best workers I've ever been around."

At 5-foot-11, 193 pounds, Haden has the speed necessary to be a very good shut-down corner. It is also a positive that he started 40 games at UF, and its something that has the Steelers interested according to Hayden himself.

"It helps a whole lot, especially understanding defenses," Haden said. "And just talking to some coaches, I talked with the Steelers yesterday, it put me on the board. Basically the NFL they do some of the same things we do at Florida."

The SEC is one of college football's premier conferences when it comes to the speed of its wideouts. A sign of things to come is what Hayden did in the SEC Championship game. He basically shut down Alabama receiver Julio Jones a player who helped lead his team to the Naional title.

" A lot of it is smarts," Haden said. "Where I am at (cornerback) you have to do a lot of studying and watching films, knowing reads and understanding distance, you have to be a student of the game. You can be as athletic as you want, but you have to be smart because those offensive receivers know what they are doing, and you don't, so you have to really study the game."

Haden has drawn comparisons to former Pitt standout Darrelle Revis, a guy the Steelers wanted but also a guy who was plucked a round before them in 2008. Having that kind of pressure can be tough, but Haden said playing at Florida has readied him for the next level.

"I know for a fact, for sure that I am ready to go to the pros," Haden said. " I've been playing here with Pro like players, and lining up against Percy Harvin helped to know what is going to be in the NFL every week and every day, but I'm ready for the challenge."

Career Stats at Florida:

* 39 Starts
* 152 Solo Tackles
* 60 Assisted Tackles
* 33 Passes Defended
* 8 Interceptions
* 3.5 Sacks
* 3 Forced Fumbles
* One Blocked Kick

Pre Draft notebook

Sean Lee an Upper St. Clair native and former Penn State standout visited the Steelers yesterday.

Texasteel
03-19-2010, 08:48 AM
All though I still don't think we have a real shot at Hayden, who knows. I can see the Steelers going in a few different directions in this draft, all of which are very exciting to me. I am certain that we will get a very good player, and can not wait to see just who that player is.

Will the Steelers trade up to get a player they like? Will they sat pat and see who is there for them? Will they try to trade down and grab a player they may grade higher that the rest of the league, picking up another mid-round pick where they see several players that can help this team? Who will it be Hayden, Thomas, Davis, Weatherspoon, Pouncey. Stay tuned to " As The Draft Turns"

I love this stuff!

vtw8lftr
03-19-2010, 12:55 PM
I think Jacksonville is one of the few teams we may have a chance to trade with if we wanted to move up and grab Haden... but it is going to cost... maybe our 1st, 3rd, and 5th in order to grab the 10 spot and Haden.

pete74
03-19-2010, 03:31 PM
I think Jacksonville is one of the few teams we may have a chance to trade with if we wanted to move up and grab Haden... but it is going to cost... maybe our 1st, 3rd, and 5th in order to grab the 10 spot and Haden.

as much as i would love to have haden i dont think i would trade all 3. then again, i would trade all 3 for revis so if he is as good as revis it may be worth it but you'll never know. we just need to many players especially because of the age of our defense to trade 3 picks.

jollyrob68
03-19-2010, 09:08 PM
This a a very good draft. Dont trade up to get anyone. We need our 1st,2nd,3rd and 4th round picks. We need our future starters from this draft. If we get a Top lineman in rd 1 then we need a Cb in rd 2.If we go CB or Earl Thomas in RD 1 then we need a Lineman in rd 2. Round 3 is were we need to pickup an impact player one that slipped Brandon Spikes, a DT etc or a quality player like Toby G, Jacoby Ford,Dexter Mccluster. RD 4 LB, Rd 5 Power RB if you didn't get one,5a CB/LB.

We need a quality OL,CB,LB,LB,RB,Scat BAck/kick returner,DL,OL,TE/Safety. They can honestly pick a CB in rds 1-3 but to get a starter it should be no later than rd 2.
1.Pouncey, 2.Cook cb,3.LB,DL or RB,4. LB/DL,5.RB 5a.SS/FS,6.CB,6a OL/KR,7. OL/TE

Galax Steeler
03-20-2010, 04:46 AM

Agreed I have seen mock drafts with the no.10 spot for the Steelers. From what I have been a reading Jacksonville wants out of the no.10 spot. If we are going for McClain or Haden in this draft then this is probably what we are going to have to do to get one of them.

pete74
03-20-2010, 05:41 AM
there are alot of great defensive players in this draft and hopefully its not like the 2008 draft were we only end up with 1 starter because we really need a good one here. i wish this crap with ben would get over with so we know if we need to start looking for a qb or not.