View Full Version : Foote signing could pay dividends for Steelers

mesaSteeler
03-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Foote signing could pay dividends for Steelers
About the Author
Mike Wilkening
mwilkening@pfwmedia.com
Senior editor
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/03/19/foote-signing-could-pay-dividends-for-steelers

Posted March 19, 2010 @ 12:42 p.m.
By Mike Wilkening

The Steelers significantly improved their LB depth when they re-signed Larry Foote to a three-year deal on March 15. Foote, who played his first seven seasons with Pittsburgh before being released last May and eventually signing with Detroit, is most likely to be the top reserve inside linebacker for the Steelers, but he gives the Steelers considerable lineup flexibility now and in the future. With starting ILB James Farrior, 35, nearing the end of his career, there's reason to wonder if Foote, who turns 30 in June, eventually will take his place in the lineup opposite young, athletic Lawrence Timmons, who can be very disruptive at times and has potential to develop further. The signing of Foote also might give the Steelers some flexibility in the draft no longer is inside linebacker such a pressing need, although adding a young outside linebacker at some point might still be on Pittsburgh's radar.

For the most authoritative NFL draft news and free-agency analysis, visit ProFootballWeekly.com.

pete74
03-19-2010, 08:03 PM
i agree

steeltheone
03-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Yes...Larry Foote all 30 years old and slow will pay huge dividends....

jonslow
03-20-2010, 02:27 AM

Foote is not that slow, and has shown he can still play in the NFL. He was second in the league in yards allowed up the middle last year at 2.1 yards... Too many people are ripping on him right now. He's not that old, and he's not that slow. He has two rings with us. Obviously, he didn't just come along for the ride. He's a year removed from the last one. Give me a break...

MasterOfPuppets
03-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Foote is not that slow, and has shown he can still play in the NFL. He was second in the league in yards allowed up the middle last year at 2.1 yards... Too many people are ripping on him right now. He's not that old, and he's not that slow. He has two rings with us. Obviously, he didn't just come along for the ride. He's a year removed from the last one. Give me a break...
kinda hard to believe detroit would let the heart-n-soul of thier defense walk...:sofunny:

Galax Steeler
03-20-2010, 05:22 AM
kinda hard to believe detroit would let the heart-n-soul of thier defense walk...:sofunny:

I guess running backs will be ripping Detroit for a 100 to 150 yards a game now.:rofl:

pete74
03-20-2010, 05:31 AM

he did lead the team in tackels

AllD
03-20-2010, 09:11 AM
It gives us an advantage over Detroit if we play them in the Super Bowl next season. : )

Steelers>NFL
03-20-2010, 09:56 AM
35 (Farrior) is a lot worst than 30 (Foote). In football terms, 1000 times worst.

fansince'76
03-20-2010, 10:02 AM

Generally speaking, if a player is over 25, that guy considers him to be "old."

solardave
03-20-2010, 10:49 AM
At this stage he is probably as good as Farrior. Before he left we judged him compared to guys like Farrior, Porter, Timmons,etc. I'll take him as a backup.

wootawnee
03-20-2010, 03:11 PM

Right on dude....Larry can step right in.....KNows all the calls, Knows everybody out there.......... Plus 40 is the new 30........Unless you are a RB.....

kirklandrules
03-21-2010, 10:28 AM
Just to make one thing clear ... Foote won't replace Farrior. If needed, Timmons will move over to Farrior's position and Foote will be assuming his old spot. So the upgrade here is Timmons over Farrior, not Foote over Farrior.