PDA

View Full Version : Steelers daily digest: Linebacker Brandon Spikes meets with Steelers

mesaSteeler
03-21-2010, 10:21 AM
Steelers daily digest: Linebacker Brandon Spikes meets with Steelers
March 21, 9:07 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m3d21-Steelers-daily-digest-Linebacker-Brandon-Spikes-meets-with-Steelers

GAINESVILLE, FLA - The Steelers coaching staff sat down with another Florida player during its Pro Day, this according to a source at the University.

That player is linebacker Brandon Spikes, who many feel have the size to make a switch to Outside linebacker or even a Defensive end in the 3-4 scheme.

Spikes is 6-foot-2, 249 pounds.

The one thing about Spikes, is that he has good football knowledge. He knows how to anticipate where the ball is going and is great at getting to the opposing rusher. Four of Spikes' six career interceptions went for touchdowns, but his production was down from his stellar sophomore year the past two years.

Last year in regard to stats, it was his worst year on the field for the Gators, but he was plagued with injuries including a groin and heel tendinitis. Still he always seemed to come up with the play when it was needed.

Spikes was involved in an on field incident in a game against Georgia that caught national attention. In that contest he poked Bulldog freshman running back Washaun Ealy through the facemask.

Gator coach suspended him for a half of the next game, but Spikes refused to play the contest, instead suspending himself from playing. He spoke about the incident at the Combine last month to reporters.

" I didn't want younger players to think that was the right way to play the game," Spikes said. "There were a lot of emotions going on in that game, both sides were taking shots at each other. But that is why I suspended myself, because that is not the way the game is supposed go be played."

Spikes has been compared by many to former Ohio State standout James Laurinaitis but if there is a flaw it is his sideline to sideline running ability.

FREE AGENT NEWS

Willie Parker visited with the Rams, but left without a contract in hand. Last season for the Steelers, Parker rushed for 398 yards without a touchdown and he had only one receiving score.

Former Steeler Joey Porter, after taking a trip to DC, is the latest former player to sign with Pittsburgh West, IE; the Arizona Cardinals.

"I was looking to play for a West Coast team and I know everything Whiz is about," Porter told reporters. "He had me over there in Pittsburgh for eight years so I don't have to be blindsided by some new coaches and trying to wonder how I fit. I know exactly how I fit. I know how he would try and use me if I was here and I am just trying to be a piece to the puzzle that's already there."

jollyrob68
03-21-2010, 01:13 PM
If Brandon Spikes is there in the 3rd snatch him up. He's a true 34 ILB but he's a 2 down ILB.

jonslow
03-21-2010, 01:22 PM
If Brandon Spikes is there in the 3rd snatch him up. He's a true 34 ILB but he's a 2 down ILB.

Agreed. He was clocked slower than 5.00 in the 40 at his pro day. His speed is a serious concern. He claims to have been battling injuries at the time, but I don't know if I believe it.

If he falls late, I wouldn't mind seeing us snag him, but not early on. I wouldn't expect him to come in and start immediately.

pete74
03-21-2010, 01:31 PM
yea i would definatly take him in the 3rd. his proday wasnt the best but he sure looks good on the field

SteelerFanInStl
03-21-2010, 03:45 PM

I'm not high on using a 3rd round pick for a 2 down player. He might be worth a 4th but not a 3rd.

Steeldude
03-21-2010, 06:23 PM
that's all the steelers need, a LB who is slower than their DTs. :thumbsup:

Steeldude
03-21-2010, 06:24 PM
i wouldn't take a 5.1 40 LB in any round

Galax Steeler
03-22-2010, 05:09 AM
that's all the steelers need, a LB who is slower than their DTs. :thumbsup:

Maybe with his speed we can put him up on the line as a DT.:chuckle:

jollyrob68
03-22-2010, 12:31 PM
I'm not high on using a 3rd round pick for a 2 down player. He might be worth a 4th but not a 3rd.

The one thing no one can argue is Spikes gets the job done. However I like Roddrick Muckelroy of Texas & AJ EDDS of Iowa.

BKAnthem
03-22-2010, 03:01 PM
That's the thing about the NFL it exposes all your college flaws.....and if speed is one of those flaws...you usually have a problem....If he can make up for lack of speed by awareness, quickness, and anticipation....he should be fine...

pete74
03-22-2010, 04:46 PM
everyone is tearing up on spikes but i would love to have him in the 3rd. he definatly isnt great but for a 3rd rounder he would be a steal. harrison was supposed to be to slow. hell, would you pass on haden in the 3rd because he had a slow run at the combine? yes he made it up but say he didnt. would you still want him? cb is the one position you really need speed

steelerdave1969
03-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Maybe a late 4th rounder, but I bet he is gone by the middle of the 3rd at the latest.

Psyychoward86
03-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Spikes was involved in an on field incident in a game against Georgia that caught national attention. In that contest he poked Bulldog freshman running back Washaun Ealy through the facemask.

Gator coach suspended him for a half of the next game, but Spikes refused to play the contest, instead suspending himself from playing. He spoke about the incident at the Combine last month to reporters.

" I didn't want younger players to think that was the right way to play the game," Spikes said. "There were a lot of emotions going on in that game, both sides were taking shots at each other. But that is why I suspended myself, because that is not the way the game is supposed go be played."

Very admirable. This really caught my attention