PDA

View Full Version : jeff reed hasnt signed franchise tender yet

mwittman5
03-21-2010, 12:24 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

Jeff Reed seriously considered signing his one-year franchise tender in recent days, but backed off because the Steelers declined to promise the kicker he won't be franchised again next spring.
Reed is still holding out hope that a long-term deal can be reached, but the Steelers recently rejected a five-year proposal worth $22M from Reed's camp. So Reed continues to work out on his own and we suspect he'll eventually have to sign the tender. Reed was 27-for-31 on field goals last season, but missed both his attempts from 50+ yards out.

pete74
03-21-2010, 12:34 PM
im not a reed fan. he is good from close but it sucks knowing that he cant hit a long one and is horrible at kicking off and because that i dont think he is worth a little over 4 mil a year

7willBheaven
03-21-2010, 12:50 PM
5 year 22 mil....if thats true...wow...no thanks.

OX1947
03-21-2010, 01:32 PM
4.2 million a year for 5 years? His Jeff Reed and his agent on crack? 2 mil a year tops. And that's pushing it, Jeebus.

SteelerFanInStl
03-21-2010, 02:35 PM

:iagree: I'd hate to see a rookie in there but Reed's just not worth that much.

solardave
03-21-2010, 02:47 PM
I just watched the replay of Da Bears' game where he missed both FGs. Not worth that much. Time to find a kicker in the late rounds to replace him. Be smart Jeff, sign the tender!

Godfather
03-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Kickers are important after last season.

Reed missed two FGs against Chicago and one against Cincy and cost us two games. We missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker.

Kris Brown went Shankopotamus on a Sunday night game that the Texans ended up losing in OT. They also missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker.

Shayne Graham was the goat in the playoff game against the Jets.

Nate Kaeding missed three kicks in the Chargers' playoff loss.

Ryan Longwell missed a FG in the NFCCG that would have ended up preventing overtime.

Suisham missed a chip shot that would have put away Washington's game against the Saints, allowing the Saints to tie and then win in overtime.

Garret Hartley came through whenever New Orleans needed him.

OneForTheToe
03-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Jeff Reed is as valuable a kicker as there is in the NFL. However, no kicker is worth 4 million plus a year, IMO.

Psyychoward86
03-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Jeff Reed is as valuable a kicker as there is in the NFL. However, no kicker is worth 4 million plus a year, IMO.

nope, it's fact

43Hitman
03-21-2010, 05:20 PM

nope, it's fact

Lol..QFT!

steelerdude15
03-21-2010, 05:25 PM
He's a good kicker, but no kicker is worth that much. What if the Steelers had a different kicker for kickoffs and had Reed for field goals and extra points. :noidea:

solardave
03-21-2010, 05:37 PM
We'd end up spendind as much for 2 kickers as Reed wants. Get him to sign the tender and look for his replacement.

Steely McSmash
03-21-2010, 05:43 PM
I'd say Reed is worth no more than 2.5M /season. Even that's a stretch.

rich4eagle
03-21-2010, 05:54 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

Jeff Reed seriously considered signing his one-year franchise tender in recent days, but backed off because the Steelers declined to promise the kicker he won't be franchised again next spring.
Reed is still holding out hope that a long-term deal can be reached, but the Steelers recently rejected a five-year proposal worth $22M from Reed's camp. So Reed continues to work out on his own and we suspect he'll eventually have to sign the tender. Reed was 27-for-31 on field goals last season, but missed both his attempts from 50+ yards out.

I hope Reed does not sign and we get a new kicker. His liabilities overshadow the cost of what we tendered

steelreserve
03-21-2010, 08:50 PM
a five-year proposal worth $22M from Reed's camp.

... and in the fifth round, the Pittsburgh Steelers select K _________ of _______ University.

I mean, unless Reed and his agent decide to come back from Mars before then.

What else are we going to use those draft picks for? It's not like we have space on the roster for many.

X-Terminator
03-21-2010, 08:57 PM
OK ya know, I love ya Jeff and defended you on this board, but you have got to be out of your mind if you think you're worth $4.2 million per year.

He should sign the tender, and if he still thinks he's worth that much money after this season, then he can take his services elsewhere. This ain't Oakland, and our owner isn't senile.

Thanks, Al Davis. Way to screw up the league's salary structure yet again.

ETL
03-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Kickers are important after last season.

Reed missed two FGs against Chicago and one against Cincy and cost us two games. We missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker.

Kris Brown went Shankopotamus on a Sunday night game that the Texans ended up losing in OT. They also missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker.

Shayne Graham was the goat in the playoff game against the Jets.

Nate Kaeding missed three kicks in the Chargers' playoff loss.

Ryan Longwell missed a FG in the NFCCG that would have ended up preventing overtime.

Suisham missed a chip shot that would have put away Washington's game against the Saints, allowing the Saints to tie and then win in overtime.

Garret Hartley came through whenever New Orleans needed him.

All you have done is point out situations where kickers either won or lost the game. Your list has NO RELEVANCE to whether a CERTAIN KICKER will always make a kick or not. In fact, you cite how kaeding and Longwell, kicking veterans, have missed kicks and how Garret Hartley - a part-timer this past year - made clutch kicks.

I would argue that every kicker has had a moment where they have missed crucial kicks and every joe-blow kicker has made a kick to win a game.

Kicking is a crap shoot - however, Reed knows Heinz field and that is of value but not worth $4 Mil. The salary cap affects the whole team and spending that much for a kicker will cost us somewhere else.

I would offer Reed $9 mil over 4 yr - max

Galax Steeler
03-22-2010, 03:43 AM
I have to agree with everyone else he is just not worth that much money. I think it is time to start finding his replacement this year.

HometownGal
03-22-2010, 07:08 AM
OK ya know, I love ya Jeff and defended you on this board, but you have got to be out of your mind if you think you're worth $4.2 million per year.

He should sign the tender, and if he still thinks he's worth that much money after this season, then he can take his services elsewhere. This ain't Oakland, and our owner isn't senile.

Thanks, Al Davis. Way to screw up the league's salary structure yet again.

^ This. :thumbsup:

As is well known around here, I am a huge Skippy fan, but even I have to say that $4.2 mil a year is outrageous. :jawdrop: If he wants to play hardball with the Steelers FO, I'm sorry, Jeff, but you're going to find yourself on the outside looking in come the end of this season. :shake01:

steelerdave1969
03-22-2010, 08:43 AM

Sad thing is .. he will most likely get close to 5 years $4.2 or so.. wouldnt surprise me at all. And seeing last season play out the way it did... I wouldnt care as long as he makes the big kicks in games that could cost us Super Bowl #7

kirklandrules
03-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Sad thing is .. he will most likely get close to 5 years $4.2 or so.. wouldnt surprise me at all. And seeing last season play out the way it did... I wouldnt care as long as he makes the big kicks in games that could cost us Super Bowl #7

Although his meltdown in Chi prevented his team from making the playoffs. I know a number of missed opportunities throughout the year prevented them from making the playoffs, but two makeable kicks and they might have been in (most likely to lose in the first round, but that was extra revenue for the Rooneys and money for his teammates).

For $4.2M I would expect kickoffs to reach the endzone and a long FG threat, not just someone that is accurate inside the 45. In that respect, he's a one dimissional kicker.

SteelGhost
03-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Although his meltdown in Chi prevented his team from making the playoffs. I know a number of missed opportunities throughout the year prevented them from making the playoffs, but two makeable kicks and they might have been in (most likely to lose in the first round, but that was extra revenue for the Rooneys and money for his teammates).

For $4.2M I would expect kickoffs to reach the endzone and a long FG threat, not just someone that is accurate inside the 45. In that respect, he's a one dimissional kicker.

^This.

To reach the endzone and to kick higher to help the other 10 ST guys to cover adequately :noidea:

Steely McSmash
03-22-2010, 11:07 AM

I believe the highest paid is Janikowski who gets $4m/yr. Last time I checked nobody was really following Al Davis's lead on anything. He overpays his punter too.

steelerchad
03-22-2010, 11:09 AM
We'll I'm for the Steelers paying what they can afford to pay. With the Steelers that's probably a little less than market value with market value being the ceiling. I know the guy can't kickoff and he also cost us the Bears game last year (in bad weather). But you can't argue with his accuracy inside of 45 yards (especially at Heinz Field). If they can afford him, please keep him. Because when we're at home this year in the AFC championship game with a 40 yarder to win it and go to the SuperBowl, I don't want some unproven rookie in there choking the game away.

colescott1
03-22-2010, 11:29 AM
He better realize for that sort of money, he also has to actually attempt to tackle kickoff returners when they go blowing by him.

*** and yes, I'm one of those crazy folks who EXPECT the kicker to be able to make a tackle. I know some here say "he's not paid to tackle". If thats the case, then why does he where a helmet and shoulder pads?
He's one of the 11 on the field, playing against 11 on the return team. Darn straight he better put forth some effort.

steelreserve
03-22-2010, 12:08 PM
I believe the highest paid is Janikowski who gets $4m/yr. Last time I checked nobody was really following Al Davis's lead on anything. He overpays his punter too.

For that matter, Al Davis pays the long snapper $1.7M.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Condo-Morris-sign-restricted-tenders.html

The Raiders are completely off on a tangent from reality, and for Reed and his agent to suggest we need to use that as a model for negotiations is insulting, quite frankly.

If the guy really has that much of an overinflated opinion of his value, we can move on, thanks, and I don't really care about OMG, Kris Brown, or OMG, nobody else in the entire universe can kick at Heinz Field. We'll manage just fine without this type of kicker contract drama bullshit.

HughC
03-22-2010, 06:30 PM
The fact he hasn't signed is no big deal; check the calendar, it's only March. It's pretty much standard operating procedure as part of negotiations on the part of any NFL player who is tagged and his agent to not sign the tender. It's also not uncommon for one side to ask for a much larger sum of money in the beginning of negotiations than what they are actually looking for.

rich4eagle
03-22-2010, 08:01 PM
reed is not very good and a liability when he is not kicking field goals........personally the best thing to do is move on:tt04:

steelreserve
03-22-2010, 11:14 PM
The fact he hasn't signed is no big deal; check the calendar, it's only March. It's pretty much standard operating procedure as part of negotiations on the part of any NFL player who is tagged and his agent to not sign the tender. It's also not uncommon for one side to ask for a much larger sum of money in the beginning of negotiations than what they are actually looking for.

yeah, but on the other hand, I am sick of drama over the goddamn kicker. Hearing about it once was one time too many. Sign a deal and STFU, or take a hike, is where I am at this point.

A couple months of contract issues over James Harrison was worth it. Six months of contract issues over Hampton was worth it. A year of contract drama over Jeff bleeping Reed is way beyond old, and if he's serious about becoming a diva, he can feel free to suck a dick and go home.

HometownGal
03-23-2010, 05:58 AM
reed is not very good and a liability when he is not kicking field goals........personally the best thing to do is move on:tt04:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry, Rich, but that just cracked me up. :rofl:

Other than the game against da Bears last season, the guy is about as clutch as they come and particularly at HF.

If he's a liability, then Harrison, Santo and Ben should move on too - right? :doh:

I think he and his agent wanting $4 mil a season is outrageous, but I give credit where it is due and Reed is one of the best PK's in the league when the game is on the line.

BigBen'sSwagger
03-23-2010, 06:38 AM
We'll I'm for the Steelers paying what they can afford to pay. With the Steelers that's probably a little less than market value with market value being the ceiling. I know the guy can't kickoff and he also cost us the Bears game last year (in bad weather). But you can't argue with his accuracy inside of 45 yards (especially at Heinz Field). If they can afford him, please keep him. Because when we're at home this year in the AFC championship game with a 40 yarder to win it and go to the SuperBowl, I don't want some unproven rookie in there choking the game away.

Are you really Alan Faneca in disguise??? Remember what he said about Ben as a rookie QB?

Look Reed is good but he's not Adam Vinateri (sp). I like the guy enough to want him kicking field goals but we are eventually going to have to find his replacement and with his horrible kick offs and horrible tackling I'm ready to bring in others to compete with him and if we move on without him so be it.

HometownGal
03-23-2010, 07:07 AM
Look Reed is good but he's not Adam Vinateri (sp).

Skippy's stats over 8 seasons:

FG% - 83.3%
PAT % - 99.0%
KO avg. return yards: 21.8
Touchbacks: 44

http://www.nfl.com/players/jeffreed/profile?id=REE265822

Adam Vinatieri's stats over 14 seasons:

FG% - 82.0
PAT% - 98.1
KO avg. return yards: 22.2
Touchbacks: 88

http://www.nfl.com/players/adamvinatieri/profile?id=VIN196019

Vinatieri has played 6 more seasons than Jeff Reed and other than the touchbacks, their stats are almost identical.

BigBen'sSwagger
03-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Skippy's stats over 8 seasons:

FG% - 83.3%
PAT % - 99.0%
KO avg. return yards: 21.8
Touchbacks: 44

http://www.nfl.com/players/jeffreed/profile?id=REE265822

Adam Vinatieri's stats over 14 seasons:

FG% - 82.0
PAT% - 98.1
KO avg. return yards: 22.2
Touchbacks: 88

http://www.nfl.com/players/adamvinatieri/profile?id=VIN196019

Vinatieri has played 6 more seasons than Jeff Reed and other than the touchbacks, their stats are almost identical.

Very impressive stats I will admit and like I said I like Jeff but I gotta ask how many game winning kicks has Adam missed? I can think of at least two by Jeff and those touchbacks as well.

Like I said I like Jeff alright but he is not worth the kind of money he is askin' for. I know it is negotiations but I am hoping we get him to sign at a reasonable price and that his heart is still in the right place.

colescott1
03-23-2010, 09:16 AM
does anyone know what Janokowski's stats are as far as fg % and touchback %? Granted, with Mr Davis just throwing money, it may not add up, but we all know Jeff is USUALLY money on mid and short range field goals....but he can't kickoff. So he can only perform 1/2 of his required job well. That doesn't mean top dollar to most squads.

HometownGal
03-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Very impressive stats I will admit and like I said I like Jeff but I gotta ask how many game winning kicks has Adam missed? I can think of at least two by Jeff and those touchbacks as well.

Like I said I like Jeff alright but he is not worth the kind of money he is askin' for. I know it is negotiations but I am hoping we get him to sign at a reasonable price and that his heart is still in the right place.

Without even researching the stats on Vinatieri, I can assure you that he has missed more than 2 game-winners in his 14 year career - probably in his first 8 years as well. :chuckle: I can also assure you that in Reed's 8 year career, he has made more than 2 game winning kicks.

I agree - his price tag is ludicrous as it would be for any PK and as much as I adore Skippy, if he refuses to come down on his price, he can hit the highway. That being said, however, after what Weird Al gave his PK who, imho, doesn't make a hair on Reed's hiney, I can't really blame the guy for at least trying to reach for the moon. :noidea:

LVSteelersfan
03-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Can someone please tell me what happens if he refuses to sign the tender? I think he is an absolute fool if he tries to sit out because he got the franchise tag. Or plays crappy on purpose like Faneca did while he was crying over a lack of a contract the Steelers could not afford. Oh, poor baby. You don't get over 4 mil per year. You are going to starve to death with those starvation wages. Bunch of overpaid jackA $ $ es in this league.

tony hipchest
03-23-2010, 10:48 PM
Can someone please tell me what happens if he refuses to sign the tender? I think he is an absolute fool if he tries to sit out because he got the franchise tag. Or plays crappy on purpose like Faneca did while he was crying over a lack of a contract the Steelers could not afford. Oh, poor baby. You don't get over 4 mil per year. You are going to starve to death with those starvation wages. Bunch of overpaid jackA $ $ es in this league.he has to sit out for the year with no pay (going into a year with a potential lockout).

he will sign. if not, we will spend a 5th round pick on a kicker and he will screw himself out of $2.8 mil and potentially find himself playing soccer or selling insurance for $40,000 next year.

SteelerFanInStl
03-24-2010, 07:52 AM
he has to sit out for the year with no pay (going into a year with a potential lockout).

he will sign. if not, we will spend a 5th round pick on a kicker and he will screw himself out of $2.8 mil and potentially find himself playing soccer or selling insurance for $40,000 next year.

:iagree: He really doesn't have much choice.

markymarc
03-26-2010, 08:36 PM
It wouldn't be smart on Skippy's part to not sign the franchise tender. Just like Tony stated if he doesn't then the Steelers will use 1 of their picks on a kicker.