PDA

View Full Version : Question For Steelers Fans...

EmDiggy
03-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Too many times, the media always focuses on the big names of any franchise, and there are many players that have played that were Pretty Damn Good in their own right.. So the question is:

Who is a former Steelers player that you want fans of other teams to know about?

I plan to do a show called "The Hall of Very Good" which will include a team by team pick of "Who You Should Know About"

Godfather
03-21-2010, 01:37 PM
This is a hard question to answer because we know who our good players are, but we don't always know if everyone else recognizes it.

The first two players who come to mind for me are Darren Perry and Carnell Lake. They were awesome players for us, but are they too well-known for your show?

tony hipchest
03-21-2010, 01:45 PM
for our current team, aaron smith perfectly fits the description. he has been solid for a decade, but some other teams fans simply look at him as a "journeyman" (famou LITP quote).

for former players, im still not sure dermonti dawson gets the credit he deserves. lake and perry are good choices as well.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Jeff Hartings....Pro Bowl Center who now does some missionary work in Nicaragua. Played at a incredibly high level as a Guard and Center. Great story on and off the field.

Godfather
03-21-2010, 02:22 PM
for our current team, aaron smith perfectly fits the description. he has been solid for a decade, but some other teams fans simply look at him as a "journeyman" (famou LITP quote).

for former players, im still not sure dermonti dawson gets the credit he deserves. lake and perry are good choices as well.

Well, Aaron Smith is a Pro Bowler. He's just unsung because of the position he plays.

I know you came here for Steelers, but I'm going to recommend a few Saints special teams players from earlier in the decade: Steve Gleason, Fred McAfee (also known to Steeler fans :tt04:), and Michael Lewis. Lewis was known as the Beerman because he never played college ball and was driving a beer truck before the Saints found him. Gleason was known for his long hair and after Katrina, for forcing a fumble early in the Saints' return to the Superdome.

JPbucco
03-21-2010, 02:29 PM
John Jackson, Mark Bruener, Gary Dunn, Bryan Hinkle, Hardy Nickerson and Thomas Everett.

HOFCitySteelers
03-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Heres 2 players who I'm sure other teams fans were aware of, but don't get the respect now that they deserve. L.C. Greenwood and Donnie Shell.

solardave
03-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Dwayne Woodruff, Dennis (dirt) Winston,Ernie (Fats) Holmes, John Banaszak, Mike Meriwether.

fansince'76
03-21-2010, 03:06 PM
....Mike Meriwether.

Beat me to it.

StainlessStill
03-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Too many times, the media always focuses on the big names of any franchise, and there are many players that have played that were Pretty Damn Good in their own right.. So the question is:

Who is a former Steelers player that you want fans of other teams to know about?

I plan to do a show called "The Hall of Very Good" which will include a team by team pick of "Who You Should Know About"

There's been many of Steelers players who were great great talents that helped the Steelers fit the piece of thier puzzle.

Levon Kirkland, Jerry Olsavsky , Louis Lipps, Marvel Smith, Mark Bruener, Dan Kreider, Yancy Thigpen, Chris Hope, Dawson...the list goes on.

Godfather
03-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Louis Lipps is a good one.

Dirt is a Hall of Fame candidate so I don't know if he's what the OP is looking for.

Erric Pegram was good during his brief time here and gave us a two-headed monster in the backfield.

EmDiggy
03-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Louis Lipps was mentioned.. that's CLASSIC!!

JPbucco
03-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Louis Lipps was mentioned.. that's CLASSIC!!

My Louis Lipps jersey is one of my favorites.

steelerdude15
03-21-2010, 05:18 PM
How about Heath? :noidea: You never hear about him on T.V. and many people don't see him as a good TE, well... what else is new? :doh: I believe he's still one of the most underrated TEs in the game.

wootawnee
03-21-2010, 08:15 PM
Mike Wagner, Merril Hoge, Larry Brown, Gerry Mullins, Sam Davis, Dwight White, Steve Furness, John Banazack, John Kolb, Glen Edwards, Robin Cole, Steve Courson, Ron Johnson, Dwayn Woodruff, Craig Wolfley, Tunch, David Little, Weegie, Thompson, Carlton Haselrig, Justin Strelzyck, Eric Greene, Adrian Cooper, Ernie Mills, Barry Foster, Kirklan, Searcy, Steed, Hasings, C.J., Brenston Buckner, Brandon Stai, Earl; Holmes, Orphious Roye, Etc,...

Heath Isn't a spotlight guy.......If he was he could be all over sportcenter with his ability.......

stb_steeler
03-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Kordell Stewart....No Doubt! :rofl: kidding seriously. All pro Mike Webster.

zulater
03-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Jon Kolb is the best tackle in NFL history that virtually no one outside of Pittsburgh ever heard of. Throw Gerry Mullins, Gordon Gravelle, Sam Davis, Larry Brown in as well. These guys went toe to toe with the Dallas Doomsdayers, the Purple People eaters of Minnesota etc...These guys lined up against the best defenses of the time and almost always controlled the line of scrimmage.

zulater
03-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Oh yeah throw in Andy Russell, Glen Edwards, and Mike Wagner for the defense.

ETL
03-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Craig Colquitt - his one step punts made it virtually impossible to block his punts

JackHammer
03-21-2010, 09:31 PM
The Hitman, Earl Holmes would be one but I think I know of one that fits the description better. I can't believe nobody else mentioned the man who was responsible for so many of those truck sized holes that Bettis ran through. That man would be Tim Lester, aka The Bus Driver. Nuff said.

Godfather
03-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Chris Gardocki. Did you know he never had one blocked in his career?

Oh, and .... JOHN KUHN!

MACH1
03-21-2010, 10:04 PM
I know this isn't a Steeler player but it's one of my most favorite. :chuckle:

Kim Il Zong
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/motion/2008/0113/hu_080113nfl_mayneevent1v.jpg

Must see video.
The Legacy of Kim Il Zong (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3194681&categoryid=null)

HometownGal
03-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Jeff Hartings....Pro Bowl Center who now does some missionary work in Nicaragua. Played at a incredibly high level as a Guard and Center. Great story on and off the field.

:applaudit::applaudit::thumbsup:

I also agree with Carnell Lake and Darren Perry. Both were kick ass players but pretty much unsung heroes, imho.

I'd like to add Bennie Cunningham to that list. Back in the day when TE's were used primarily to block, BC became a viable receiving threat in the late 70's and early 80's and for a guy most people would view as a big oaf, he got 'r done. :applaudit:

steelerdave1969
03-22-2010, 07:40 AM
The 2 players that stand out to me in this situation were Center Dermontti Dawson and WR Louis Lipps. Dawson in my opinion was one of the very best that played the position. He could grind you into belivion in the running game while pulling out of line and leading the sweep.. or he could push you down and help someone else on the pass protecting part of the game as well. Louis Lipps did it all for the Steelers starting his rookie season. He returned punts better than anyone else in Steelers history to me and he caught everything our terrible QB's at the time could throw up.. like Mark Malone and Bubby Brister. No telling what kind of numbers Lipps would have had with a good QB like todays Steelers.

steelerchad
03-22-2010, 12:58 PM

Smith is what I would have said for our current players with Heath Miller on the list as well. Both play unheralded spots in our system, but they are extremely important to the efficency of the whole team.

Past players, I would say Merriweather and Lipps mostly because neither played on winning teams. Barry Foster for a short stint was a great back for us.

MaidenIndiana
03-22-2010, 05:14 PM
What about Donnie Shell, Greg Lloyd, and Kevin Greene:helmet:

Stlrs4Life
03-23-2010, 06:03 PM

Rocky Bleir.

Psyychoward86
03-23-2010, 06:37 PM
I know this isn't a Steeler player but it's one of my most favorite. :chuckle:

Kim Il Zong
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/motion/2008/0113/hu_080113nfl_mayneevent1v.jpg

Must see video.
The Legacy of Kim Il Zong (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=3194681&categoryid=null)

wtf?

serious question, how did he even get a sniff of the NFL in any way possible? :rofl:

SteelerFanInATL
03-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Mike Wagner, Merril Hoge, Larry Brown, Gerry Mullins, Sam Davis, Dwight White, Steve Furness, John Banazack, John Kolb, Glen Edwards, Robin Cole, Steve Courson, Ron Johnson, Dwayn Woodruff, Craig Wolfley, Tunch, David Little, Weegie, Thompson, Carlton Haselrig, Justin Strelzyck, Eric Greene, Adrian Cooper, Ernie Mills, Barry Foster, Kirklan, Searcy, Steed, Hasings, C.J., Brenston Buckner, Brandon Stai, Earl; Holmes, Orphious Roye, Etc,...

Heath Isn't a spotlight guy.......If he was he could be all over sportcenter with his ability.......

Mike Wagner gets my vote. Everyone remembers The Defense of the 70's but only Steeler fans will remember how much of a hitter Wagner was at safety along with Shell. :hatsoff::hatsoff::hatsoff::hatsoff::hatsoff:

Hamer
03-25-2010, 05:00 AM
.... Merril Hoge, .... Weegie Thompson, ... Barry Foster, ...... Etc,......

Wow I remember ol Weegie!

On the RB/FB slant, throw in "Sir Walter" Abercrombie, Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala (FUUU!), Erric Pegram, John L. Williams, Frank Pollard, Dick Hoak, Frenchy Fuqua, Bam Morris, Rich Erenberg, and of course The great John Henry Johnson! (but he might be a little too well known to be on this list)

steelballs
03-25-2010, 07:37 AM
How about Heath? :noidea: You never hear about him on T.V. and many people don't see him as a good TE, well... what else is new? :doh: I believe he's still one of the most underrated TEs in the game.

While on the TE position....how about Benny Cunningham.