PDA

View Full Version : Glad we have Dixon

Steelerfreak58
03-22-2010, 12:41 PM
If BB does get suspended I am glad we have Dixon waiting in the wings. I think the kid has a rocket for an arm and with a little more play time may rival our beloved starter. Goodell will not bat an eye to suspend BB if any charges come forward he is a pole smoker extraordinaire in my book and will do it just for PR for the NFL.

Anyways Dixon looked great last preseason throwing the ball, he adds an element of mobility, and he damn near won us a game against the Rat-Birds coming off the bench. If BB does have to hit the pine for being a dumb ass I think Dixon will give the Rooney's something to think about for the future.

Don't get me wrong I love BB and don't want to see anything happen to him or the team but Goodell is well Goodell and the Rooney's don't seem to like bad PR and BB is bringing it in droves even if he had zero to do with any of it. I hate the fact but we know history.

JEFF4i
03-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Here here

Fire Haley
03-22-2010, 01:07 PM
It's been two years and still no Dennis Dixon jerseys available - - - somebody better step up.

pete74
03-22-2010, 03:28 PM
ben will be our qb this season. its next season we have to worry about if he is found guilty. if charges are brought they will delay the trial until next offseason. hopefully we can get a good qb next draft

Rick5895
03-22-2010, 03:49 PM
:tt04:With the commish wanting to meet with BB, my guess is he will eventually suspend him for the first 4 games of the season.(conduct detrimental to the NFL) I have always felt that Dixon was a major steal for us in the 5th round. Thjere is no doubt in my ind we would still be a super bowl contendeer with Dixon. If ben is suspended it sure will make for interesting chat on these forums.:tt04:

Steelerfreak58
03-22-2010, 04:13 PM
ben will be our qb this season. its next season we have to worry about if he is found guilty. if charges are brought they will delay the trial until next offseason. hopefully we can get a good qb next draft

You don't think Dixon will be able to handle it? I mean the guy was in the running for Heisman before he blew out his ACL playing for Oregon and he has had plenty of time to recover from that and learn Arians offense. I really think if he is given half a chance he will shock many a Steeler fan. He has a rocket for an arm and is extremely mobile.

NEPAsteeler
03-22-2010, 04:20 PM
I think the chance of Ben receiving any sort of suspension is very likely, whether he's actually charged or not. Bottom line is, Goodell is suspension happy and it wouldn't surprise me one bit. As I've mentioned in other threads, no matter what ends up happening, Ben needs to avoid putting himself into these situations. I have full confidence in Dixon if need be.

KartSteel
03-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Sorry guys, not to put a damper on the DD love BUT, as Bill Parcels says, I wouldn't get the annointing oil out just yet for Dennis Dixon. Teams haven't had to game plan against him yet because he hasn't played that much. You have to remember, when he came in & played in Balti, they didn't have much time to game plan for him as well. I want to see what he can do when other teams know he's playing & have a game plan for him. IF he does well at that point, then I can say ok, looks like we have a steal with this guy. BUT, until that happens, I'm reseving judgement.

rick723
03-22-2010, 05:05 PM
If BB does get suspended I am glad we have Dixon waiting in the wings. I think the kid has a rocket for an arm and with a little more play time may rival our beloved starter. Goodell will not bat an eye to suspend BB if any charges come forward he is a pole smoker extraordinaire in my book and will do it just for PR for the NFL.

Anyways Dixon looked great last preseason throwing the ball, he adds an element of mobility, and he damn near won us a game against the Rat-Birds coming off the bench. If BB does have to hit the pine for being a dumb ass I think Dixon will give the Rooney's something to think about for the future.

Don't get me wrong I love BB and don't want to see anything happen to him or the team but Goodell is well Goodell and the Rooney's don't seem to like bad PR and BB is bringing it in droves even if he had zero to do with any of it. I hate the fact but we know history.

I agree with you. Check any post I ever mentioned Dennis Dixon. I like this guy. He can out throw Ben but, I hope Ben did not do it.

pete74
03-22-2010, 05:18 PM
You don't think Dixon will be able to handle it? I mean the guy was in the running for Heisman before he blew out his ACL playing for Oregon and he has had plenty of time to recover from that and learn Arians offense. I really think if he is given half a chance he will shock many a Steeler fan. He has a rocket for an arm and is extremely mobile.

i do. im not certain but i think he can at least be a decent qb. im sure they will do what they can to make sure they know if he can or not before deciding were to grab a qb next year

pete74
03-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Sorry guys, not to put a damper on the DD love BUT, as Bill Parcels says, I wouldn't get the annointing oil out just yet for Dennis Dixon. Teams haven't had to game plan against him yet because he hasn't played that much. You have to remember, when he came in & played in Balti, they didn't have much time to game plan for him as well. I want to see what he can do when other teams know he's playing & have a game plan for him. IF he does well at that point, then I can say ok, looks like we have a steal with this guy. BUT, until that happens, I'm reseving judgement.

true but he also didnt have any time to game plan since he only found out a day before the game that he was starting so that makes it pretty even

ETL
03-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Where the hell is all this love for Dixon coming from? Just because the guy wears a Steeler uniform you guys think he will be good?

If he was on the Browns roster right now would you be scared that they have a star in waiting? Hell no!

Dixon is as proven as this healthcare reform plan. He played one game as a starter, made a few throws that every backup QB in the league should be able to make and scored on a run, something that he won't be able to do in this league for long and threw a game costing INT and you guys feel good about that?

Put down the steeler cool-aid. This is a veteran team ready to win a SB now and I don't see how a one-game experienced QB will get that done.

I am pulling for Steeler players to do well but I feel I am realistic in my worry and caution with Dixon. Again, ask yourself, if Dixon was on another team would he worry you or would you be licking your chops? I'd say the latter.

Nadroj 20
03-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Where the hell is all this love for Dixon coming from? Just because the guy wears a Steeler uniform you guys think he will be good?

If he was on the Browns roster right now would you be scared that they have a star in waiting? Hell no!

Dixon is as proven as this healthcare reform plan. He played one game as a starter, made a few throws that every backup QB in the league should be able to make and scored on a run, something that he won't be able to do in this league for long and threw a game costing INT and you guys feel good about that?

Put down the steeler cool-aid. This is a veteran team ready to win a SB now and I don't see how a one-game experienced QB will get that done.

I am pulling for Steeler players to do well but I feel I am realistic in my worry and caution with Dixon. Again, ask yourself, if Dixon was on another team would he worry you or would you be licking your chops? I'd say the latter.

This guy has the talent and the abiltity to be a good QB. Do we know he will be a good QB? No. However the talent and potential is there and if you cant see that then your missing something.

I am not being bias at all. Dennis Dixon can run the team well enough for us to win games. He has a good arm and running skills, and was once a heisman canidate in college. Will he be better then Ben? No i dont think so.... if we can have Ben im taking Ben and I will not hesitate to do so.......and trust me none of us (at least shouldnt) EXPECT DD to come right in and the offense to not miss a step.....that wouldnt be very reasonable.....but we arent homers because we think we woulnt be completely dead if we did lose Ben to legal problems and DD would have to take over. We would be in a better situation then some teams would if they lost their starting QB IMO.

.24lockdown
03-22-2010, 06:18 PM
The kid does have potential, and he was one of my FAVORITE college players, but face it we are NOT a SB contender with him starting the entirety of one of the upcoming 2 seasons...

pete74
03-22-2010, 06:26 PM
i agree we wont win a superbowl his rookie year as that never happens but we will still be a good team competing every week and if not, well at least we will get a good draft pick the next spring

ETL
03-22-2010, 07:18 PM
POTENTIAL is not a good word that I want to hear about our starting QB. I want to hear the word PROVEN.

Nadroj 20
03-22-2010, 07:26 PM
POTENTIAL is not a good word that I want to hear about our starting QB. I want to hear the word PROVEN.

So every team in NFL history has started with a PROVEN QB?

Sorry NO.

What was ben? dont think he was proven.....

PalmerSteel
03-22-2010, 07:39 PM
i am just glad we took a late round flyer on him when we did or else we would probably be stuck with BSP and batch as 2 and 3. if worse case scenario with ben, ironically enough, BSP and batch could be 2 and 3 on the bench.

Corey120120
03-22-2010, 07:46 PM
So every team in NFL history has started with a PROVEN QB?

Sorry NO.

What was ben? dont think he was proven.....

:sign07:
Dont fight with ETL he seems crazy

Steelerfreak58
03-22-2010, 08:20 PM

What thread are you reading man? What was your reading comprehension when you were in school a couple of years behind? No one is anointing anyone anything. We are talking about a very realistic scenario and how well our depth at QB is or isn't. Think before you post either that or try pulling your head out before you write something down.

Steelerfreak58
03-22-2010, 08:23 PM

Show me a back up QB in the league that is PROVEN? There is a reason they are back ups. Is your IQ that low that you can imagine BB getting suspended by Goodell and us having to utilize a guy that the organization obviously thought had potential? With every post your argument becomes just that much more silly.

Steelerfreak58
03-22-2010, 08:24 PM
:sign07:

Either that or he is as smart as a bag of hammers. I am running with the second choice considering he seems to be pulling things out of his ass.

Steelerfreak58
03-22-2010, 08:26 PM
So it begins....

Goodell is already lining up to make his moves. In his world you are guilty until proven innocent it would seem.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-goodell-roethlisberger&prov=ap&type=lgns

Goodell plans to meet with Roethlisberger

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP)—NFL commissioner Roger Goodell plans to meet with Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger(notes) about the star’s off-field problems.

Goodell already has spoken with team owners about Roethlisberger, who is accused of assaulting a 20-year-old college student in a Georgia nightclub on March 5. Roethlisberger’s attorney says the quarterback committed no crime. Roethlisberger has yet to be interviewed by police in Milledgeville, Ga., and charges have not been filed.

“We take this issue very seriously,” Goodell said Monday at the NFL meetings. “I am concerned that Ben continues to put himself in this position.

“I spoke with the Steelers and (team president) Art Rooney about it and, at some point, I will be meeting with Ben at the appropriate time.”

Roethlisberger also is being sued by a woman who claims he raped her in 2008 at a Lake Tahoe hotel. He denies those allegations and has asked for counter-damages.

His latest alleged incident came during a 28th birthday party for Roethlisberger, who has a home about 30 miles from Milledgeville.

The two-time Super Bowl champ’s lawyer, Ed Garland, said he has hired his own investigative team.

David Cornwell, Roethlisberger’s lead attorney, said in a statement that he contacted the NFL when the most recent allegations were made against the quarterback.

“We agreed that I would keep the NFL apprised of all developments as they warrant,” Cornwell said. “I believe the Commissioner will allow us to focus on matters in Georgia, but we look forward to meeting with him and addressing any concerns he may have.”

Rooney has said the Steelers are “in a situation we’re going to let this investigation play out and then go from there.”

Roethlisberger skipped voluntary workouts with the team last week.

Steelerfreak58
03-22-2010, 08:32 PM
i agree we wont win a superbowl his rookie year as that never happens but we will still be a good team competing every week and if not, well at least we will get a good draft pick the next spring

I am not saying the kid will take us to the SB but he isn't a Rookie he has two years of experience on the team. Sure he doesn't have start time experience but its his 3rd season with the team he knows the offense if Arian's plays his cards right and sets him up with good play calling based on his abilities the amount of talent on the team will get us to the playoffs without a shadow of a doubt. We all know the playoffs is an entirely new season and that is all the team needs is a chance.

Prok
03-22-2010, 08:57 PM
I am not saying the kid will take us to the SB but he isn't a Rookie he has two years of experience on the team. Sure he doesn't have start time experience but its his 3rd season with the team he knows the offense if Arian's plays his cards right and sets him up with good play calling based on his abilities the amount of talent on the team will get us to the playoffs without a shadow of a doubt. We all know the playoffs is an entirely new season and that is all the team needs is a chance.

That '08 SB season was not one of Ben's better statistical years, for sure. But the way we won alot of those games was through his sheer poise, unshakeable confidence and moxy late in the games. It'd be totally unfair to expect DD to perform at that level in those circumstances IMO.

The things Ben would do to help us win games was the kind of stuff one John Elway did back in his prime.

As stated earlier, my expectations would drop considerably without Big Ben leading our offense. I'd hope to be pleasantly surprised by Dixon's development.

steelerdave1969
03-22-2010, 09:15 PM

Mr Pete I think we have a nice compliment at QB already in Dixon. The guy performed well last season against a pretty good defense In Baltimore at that. Dixon with time to be ready and prepared to start earlier than the Friday before the sunday night game will be just fine. The guy has mobility out the ying yang and given time I think he can be a good if not great replacement for Ben if need be. Maybe he is young and not very much experience but he has talent and that means alot.

tony hipchest
03-22-2010, 10:19 PM

:chillpill: :bite:

yeah, someone forgot their pills today. theres nothing wrong with being glad that we got a young, talented, valuable backup such as dixon.

and make nos mistake about it, he is gaining value.

there is a recent trend in the nfl. teams are starting to love young back ups who have sat and learned (and in some cases, even gotten some playing time) in the same system for 3-4 years.

schaub, cassell, orton, whitehurst. the vikings dont seem to be in any hurry to trade or replace t. jackson. anyone who thinks k. kolb doesnt have a ton of value is kidding themselves.

i can almost guarantee that when the offensive guru arians lands a head coaching job next season, he will be taking dixon with him (ben is not going to jail or getting cut) along with colbert and cowher. :chuckle:

ETL
03-22-2010, 10:24 PM
What thread are you reading man? What was your reading comprehension when you were in school a couple of years behind? No one is anointing anyone anything. We are talking about a very realistic scenario and how well our depth at QB is or isn't. Think before you post either that or try pulling your head out before you write something down.

Hey idiot. Don't even start with me with the name calling or I'm gonna bury you.

The title of this thread is "Glad we have Dixon" with a bunch of posters talking about how comfortable they feel with DD starting if Ben is suspended.

I disagree. My point being that he is inexperienced and was average in his only start. Which part of my argument did you not comprehend? Which part of my direct rebuttal did you not understand for you to question my "reading comprehension"

I am totally uncomfortable with DD as our fallback plan. The Vikings clearly realized this last year and went all out to get Favre. They had all the pieces to make a championship run except a QB. The had a guy with a lot of "potential" in Tavaris Jackson but realized that he was not good enough. So they went out and got Farve.

Which part of my last argument did you not understand?. Do you think DD is much better than Tavaris Jackson? Why the hell would you? Just because he hasn't played enough to show you any negatives? That's just plain ignorant.

I know DD has potential but he is a better fit for a rebuilding team like the Jets were last year or the Falcons a year before; not a periennial SB contender like the Steelers.

You can argue that we have no better option than DD. That is a totally separate argument? But to say that you are comfortable and glad that DD is our backup play to me is asking to be the Minnesota Vikings before Farve.

ETL
03-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Show me a back up QB in the league that is PROVEN? There is a reason they are back ups. Is your IQ that low that you can imagine BB getting suspended by Goodell and us having to utilize a guy that the organization obviously thought had potential? With every post your argument becomes just that much more silly.

If BB gets suspended - which is a distinct possibility, my argument is that we can't afford to have the back up QB fill - in. We need another QB that has been a proven starter in this league - not necessarily a proven star.

Dixon to me is not even a proven starter. There are guys in this league like Jeff Garcia to me who is a proven starter. Even Jason Campbell would be a better option to me than DD because of his experience. Or if the Steelers FO had the balls to do it, they should trade for one of the Eagles QBs - Kolb or McNabb (if BB is suspended). I will not be a ***** and not offer suggestions of my own for you to attack. (I hate it when people disagree with me and shoot me down but never stick their neck out with their own suggestions)

As for the name calling, I will chalk it up to your inability to handle rebuttals to your argument and your inability to be comfortable with people disagreeing with you because dude, it is so obvious that you are SO INSECURE with this - someone disagreeing with you. Like I said, you keep it up and I promise you, I will get your blood pressure so high that you will literally be pounding on your keyboard when you respond.... We are both Steeler fans that disagree on something. That's it. You want to make it about my "reading comprehension" or my "intelligence" and I will make it about you as well and not about the topic.

tony hipchest
03-22-2010, 10:40 PM
I disagree. My point being that he is inexperienced and was average in his only start. Which part of my argument did you not comprehend? Which part of my direct rebuttal did you not understand for you to question my "reading comprehension"

ben was inexperienced and average in his FIRST start = lame argument. :popcorn:

and I will make it about you as well and not about the topic.

*eagerly awaits the 'shaking in boots' that is sure to ensue* :laughing:

MACH1
03-22-2010, 10:46 PM

Nah, it's just a heavy flow day.

:chuckle:

Steeldude
03-23-2010, 12:27 AM

the heisman means nothing.

IMO, dixon was a product of a spread option offense. QBs like that are a dime a dozen in the NCAA. kordell had a rocket arm, was very mobile and had a good college career. how did that work out?

i am not saying it's impossible for dixon to be a good to even a great QB, but i seriously doubt he will be anything more than a benchwarmer.

tony hipchest
03-23-2010, 12:51 AM
IMO, dixon was a product of a spread option offense. .

if bruce arians had his way, that is exactly what we would be running. it is a growing trend in the nfl.

everyone wants to be like brady.

Steelerfreak58
03-23-2010, 01:34 AM
If BB gets suspended - which is a distinct possibility, my argument is that we can't afford to have the back up QB fill - in. We need another QB that has been a proven starter in this league - not necessarily a proven star.

Dixon to me is not even a proven starter. There are guys in this league like Jeff Garcia to me who is a proven starter. Even Jason Campbell would be a better option to me than DD because of his experience. Or if the Steelers FO had the balls to do it, they should trade for one of the Eagles QBs - Kolb or McNabb (if BB is suspended). I will not be a ***** and not offer suggestions of my own for you to attack. (I hate it when people disagree with me and shoot me down but never stick their neck out with their own suggestions)

As for the name calling, I will chalk it up to your inability to handle rebuttals to your argument and your inability to be comfortable with people disagreeing with you because dude, it is so obvious that you are SO INSECURE with this - someone disagreeing with you. Like I said, you keep it up and I promise you, I will get your blood pressure so high that you will literally be pounding on your keyboard when you respond.... We are both Steeler fans that disagree on something. That's it. You want to make it about my "reading comprehension" or my "intelligence" and I will make it about you as well and not about the topic.

The more you post the more you prove my point. Go back and try to really read the posts prior to your initial one I think its pretty obvious none of us were saying Dixon is the second coming of Christ. I stated it was just a nice position for us to be in if BB gets benched by Goodell which from his past history he is most assuredly going to do if BB's second issue isn't taken care of quickly and efficiently.

Dixon has had plenty of time to learn the offense and adjust to the speed of the game. He isn't some raw rookie coming out his first year being handed the offense and being begged to win at all costs as in some other organizations. The kid knows how to win big games and produce from his past history. Now does it mean it automatically makes him a "star" nope not at all. Like I said read the original post no one said he was better then anyone.

The kid has talent and solid physical attributes. If he gets to play he will lead the team to more wins then losses. Considering we almost made it to the playoffs at 9-7 that could very easily mean a trip to the playoffs if DD has to run the offense.

IT SURE IS NICE HAVING DD AS A BACK UP QB IF BEN CANT PLAY! Pretty much the statement some agree some don't. Didn't see much about a "love fest" you made it out to be...

Steelerfreak58
03-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Hey idiot. Don't even start with me with the name calling or I'm gonna bury you.

This made me chuckle. Here let me hand you a shovel you may need directions but I can have them put on tape since your reading skills seem to be less then to be desired. I eagerly await the burial. Parts of your post agree with the original statements and yet you act as if you are putting forth some grand ideas that the FO would run with. Some of us like to stick around in a place called reality and talk about the state of the team and how things could pan out REALISTICALLY.

Galax Steeler
03-23-2010, 03:32 AM
I would say Dixon could handle it pretty well. No he is not proven but they have showed me nothing that he can't handle the job if needed. So I will take the wait and see approach.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Wasn't Dixon drafted to be a WR, or KR, or the next Kordell???

Ahhhhh, I guess taking an undervalued QB in the 5th round to hold a clipboard and groom as a viable backup wasnt a waste after all.

steelreserve
03-23-2010, 11:47 AM
the heisman means nothing.

IMO, dixon was a product of a spread option offense. QBs like that are a dime a dozen in the NCAA. kordell had a rocket arm, was very mobile and had a good college career. how did that work out?

i am not saying it's impossible for dixon to be a good to even a great QB, but i seriously doubt he will be anything more than a benchwarmer.

Are we seriously comparing Dixon and Kordell Stewart? About the only similarity between them is that they're both black.

Dixon has actually shown that he's an accurate passer, and he looks to make the play through the air first and use his mobility if he needs to. Stewart came from an option offense and had a scramble-first mentality, and it was anyone's guess whether a pass would be on target or skip in the grass five yards in front of the receiver. There's no comparison between the two.

Does it mean Dixon's going to be a star? Hell if I know. But I'm pretty confident that if he had to come in for an extended period -- for whatever reason -- we could keep winning games. Given a few weeks, the offense might even get back to normal.

zulater
03-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Are we seriously comparing Dixon and Kordell Stewart? About the only similarity between them is that they're both black.

Dixon has actually shown that he's an accurate passer, and he looks to make the play through the air first and use his mobility if he needs to. Stewart came from an option offense and had a scramble-first mentality, and it was anyone's guess whether a pass would be on target or skip in the grass five yards in front of the receiver. There's no comparison between the two.

Does it mean Dixon's going to be a star? Hell if I know. But I'm pretty confident that if he had to come in for an extended period -- for whatever reason -- we could keep winning games. Given a few weeks, the offense might even get back to normal.

At this point you just can't make that comparison. Kordell had a couple pretty good years as an NFL starter, Dixon one decent half. I assume very little when it comes to Dixon, though i do hope he's ok.

JEFF4i
03-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Dixon's game in Balti was better than you think. Baltimore, known difficult defense (Ask Tom Brady), and playoff contender, nearly got beat. Sure, we lost. But there are other players to blame for that as much as Dixon. Don't forget, if we didn't drop the INT Flacco graciously gave to us in OT, then Dixon's rating would be up, he'd be considered a hero, and we'd have won by 3 (since the pick would've been around the 30 yard line).

Not only did he connect with Santo on a brilliantly thrown ball, but he gave us a 4th quarter lead which our team, yet again, botched. Of course I'd rather have Ben back there, who wouldn't? But if it looks like No Ben, I think there is plenty more that Dixon can show us and make us happy we have him.

"Proven..." Meh, that depends on your definition of proven. Two consecutive years we had a rookie QB in the AFC Champ, Big Ben did it himself. The Steelers losing Ben is pretty freakin bad, and if we take a hit like that, then rebuilding is just part of it.

steelreserve
03-23-2010, 01:24 PM
At this point you just can't make that comparison. Kordell had a couple pretty good years as an NFL starter, Dixon one decent half. I assume very little when it comes to Dixon, though i do hope he's ok.

OK, granted, it's too early to tell ANYTHING for sure with Dixon. But I think he has a completely different style and a completely different skill set from Kordell, which is why that comparison doesn't work for me.

Yeah, Dixon could end up doing a great big belly flop this year despite (IMO) starting with a more useful set of skills than Kordell. But I do think he's in a better position to succeed with what he brings to the table. Mainly, the running/scrambling option being a bonus tacked on to his regular game, rather than the focus of it.

ETL
03-23-2010, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest;789046]ben was inexperienced and average in his FIRST start = lame argument. :popcorn:

Why would you think that everything Ben did is the the exact road map for success?

My point stays the same. The steelers of 2004 were rebuilding - they were not ready to win a SB. That is why it was ok to start a rookie like BB.

If BB gets suspended, I wouldn't want a rookie BB to be the starter - which you are all to happy with. I simply cannot understand why you cannot get this point. Think tavaris jackson and maybe you will understand.

If you want to take a "gamble" - so be it - I don't.

ETL
03-23-2010, 06:51 PM
IT SURE IS NICE HAVING DD AS A BACK UP QB IF BEN CANT PLAY! Pretty much the statement some agree some don't. Didn't see much about a "love fest" you made it out to be...

NO IT ISN'T NICE HAVING DD AS A BACK UP. That is my argument. I disagree with your whole premise. We need more than DD.

I don't want the second coming of christ - i just want a better, way better, option than DD.

He's shown me nothing to think so highly of him and be "glad" that he's the backup.

tony hipchest
03-23-2010, 07:13 PM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest;789046]ben was inexperienced and average in his FIRST start = lame argument. :popcorn:

Why would you think that everything Ben did is the the exact road map for success?

My point stays the same. The steelers of 2004 were rebuilding - they were not ready to win a SB. That is why it was ok to start a rookie like BB.

If BB gets suspended, I wouldn't want a rookie BB to be the starter - which you are all to happy with. I simply cannot understand why you cannot get this point. Think tavaris jackson and maybe you will understand.

If you want to take a "gamble" - so be it - I don't.pipe down there, stretch.

neither BB or DD is a rookie.

plus the steelers were 1 game removed from the superbowl in 2004 ...and won it the next year. :hunch:

seems ready enuff for me.

ETL
03-23-2010, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=ETL;789323]pipe down there, stretch.

neither BB or DD is a rookie.

plus the steelers were 1 game removed from the superbowl in 2004 ...and won it the next year. :hunch:

seems ready enuff for me.

i get what you are saying - you have confidence in DD, you feel good about him. I disagree but if that is what you feel - hey, that's what you feel.

But I disagree with using BB as an example or model to feel good about DD. Totally different situation and different player. 2004 - we won because of defense and running game. BB was called to manage games. 2010 - we need the QB to win games not just manage them - we need DD to win games for us - I don't feel so good about that.

Steelerfreak58
03-23-2010, 07:53 PM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest;789336]

i get what you are saying - you have confidence in DD, you feel good about him. I disagree but if that is what you feel - hey, that's what you feel.

But I disagree with using BB as an example or model to feel good about DD. Totally different situation and different player. 2004 - we won because of defense and running game. BB was called to manage games. 2010 - we need the QB to win games not just manage them - we need DD to win games for us - I don't feel so good about that.

ETL did you watch him in college? This is not trying to be inflammatory I am just asking if you watched DD's games in college. I live on the west coast and caught a ton of his games while he played for Oregon and the kid is a ridiculously gifted athlete. When we picked him up in the 5th round two years ago I was ecstatic because it was a steal. He has a rocket for an arm and can move really well.

He isn't a rookie he has had 2 years to digest the system he knows it very well by now. He has had time to get the speed of the game and this year he will supplant CB as #2 for certain. He is young and very talented you really couldn't ask for more from a back up QB.

If the shit with BB doesn't clear up I am almost certain DD is going to give the front office something to think about. I absolutely hate the fact that BB is having all the trouble that he is having and really hope it he is able to clear his name but if he gets suspended for some games DD is going to be able to win us some games if given a chance. He isn't a rookie coming out from his first year of college he is a 3rd year player that is prime time to shine the way the Steelers do business the last 30 years with the draft.

tony hipchest
03-23-2010, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest;789336]

much better. that is a post that can be treated with respect.

i think "wasting" a fifth round pick on him now has potential to be quite a solid investment. i think DD will only play a game or two (hopefully none) barring a major injury to ben, and after another year in the same system, may be seasoned as a potential starting qb in the nfl. :noidea:

Steeldude
03-24-2010, 10:34 AM

Dixon has actually shown that he's an accurate passer, and he looks to make the play through the air first and use his mobility if he needs to. Stewart came from an option offense and had a scramble-first mentality, and it was anyone's guess whether a pass would be on target or skip in the grass five yards in front of the receiver. There's no comparison between the two

i beg to differ....

http://chi.scout.com/a.z?s=25&p=8&c=1&nid=664678

kordell stewart

Colorado's most prolific passer of all-time, setting records for completions (456), attempts (785), completion percentage (58.1 percent), passing yards (6,481), TDs (33), total offensive yards (7,770), average yards per completion (13.8), yards in total offense per game (235.5) and yards per offensive play (6.36)… Tallied a school-record six 300-yard passing games in his career while having only 2.4 percent of his passes intercepted… Second-team all-America selection by the Associated Press as a senior, capturing the Big Eight Conference QB efficiency rating title by completing 147-of-237 passes (62.0 percent) for 2,071 yards and 10 TDs…

================================

http://scorecenter.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=145026

dennis dixon

YEAR......CMP........ATT.........YDS......CMP%.... .YPA.....LNG..........TD...INT...SACK
2004.............6..........15 ............73..........40.0......4.87........22.. ..........0.......0...........1
2005 ..........69.......104...........777..........66.3 .....7.47........68.............6.......3......... .4
2006.........197.......322........2143..........61 .2.....6.66........67...........12.....14......... .6
2007.........172.......254........2136..........67 .7.....8.41........85...........20.......4........ 13

College stats: 26 starts, 5,122 yards, 38 TDs, 21 INT (also ran 199 times for 1,032 yards and 11 touchdowns in the last two seasons).

IMO, they are rather similar

solardave
03-24-2010, 12:36 PM
:tt04:I think Dixon will make a great starter with time. Maybe he can pull a Ben and get thrown in th mix and thrive. I hope if we need him he does just that. He's got all the talent and he's smart. Kordell had talent but couldn't read defenses. running around will only get you so far. that's why I've never been sold on Vick. He still has trouble reading D. Dixon seems to be more mature for his age.:tt03:

xbroughneck
03-24-2010, 03:08 PM
i beg to differ....

Except for the past two years Dennis Dixon has focused on being a QB and learning our system. Kordell Stewart, regardless of his collegiate stats, wasted a ton of his time preparing to be SLASH. He even worked out with the wide receivers before he became a starter. Worked out with the running backs.

Kordell was handled wrong if the idea was for him to ever be a starting QB, and he never adjusted.

Dennis Dixon was, is and will be a QB. Not as good as Big Ben, but better than Kordell Stewart.

If the idea is to say he's another black athletic QB (which I think is shortsighted) then compare him to Randall Cunningham. Dixon will be fine for a few games. Those games where the Steelers need to more than 24 points to win..(Patriots, Saints) a win is going to be pretty tough to come by.

I'd be more concerned with Bruce Arians play calling with a QB that didn't know the system already.

If Dennis Dixon forces the Steelers to become a run first offense I'm ok with that.

That said...Ben will play 16 games + the playoffs this season, so this is a dead issue.

But I'm glad we have Dixon as well. I think he will be a very good backup QB.

xbroughneck
03-24-2010, 03:13 PM
:tt04:I think Dixon will make a great starter with time. Maybe he can pull a Ben and get thrown in th mix and thrive. I hope if we need him he does just that. He's got all the talent and he's smart. Kordell had talent but couldn't read defenses. running around will only get you so far. that's why I've never been sold on Vick. He still has trouble reading D. Dixon seems to be more mature for his age.:tt03:

Dixon came into the league after suffering a terrible leg injury his last year in college.

That may prove to be a good thing because it probably forced Dixon to focus on reading defenses and making good decisions instead of simply relying on his running ability to bail him out of situations. If I was worried about taking a hit on my knee (like he probably was two years ago), I'd put in even more effort learning defenses and making good timed passes.

I think the Kordell comparison, other than them both being black Steeler QBs is unwarranted right now. Give him a season. If he short hops passes....I'll go HEY! Kordell 2.0 is out there.

Till then he's Dennis Dixon. The Steelers backup QB.

Polamalu43
03-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Whatever it is Dixon better be getting ready incase we need him this year.. Don't think Ben is gonna get suspended but you never know..

pete74
03-24-2010, 03:31 PM
you cant compare kordell and dixon. brady was a 6th round draft pick coming out of college and even though i cant remember his stats i doubt they were that good or he would of been drafted before the 6th. anyway my point is nobody knows if he is good or bad until he gets out there and plays a few games.

as for dixons stats in college, they would of been much better his last year if he didnt mess up his leg

pete74
03-24-2010, 03:32 PM
i beg to differ....

http://chi.scout.com/a.z?s=25&p=8&c=1&nid=664678

kordell stewart

Colorado's most prolific passer of all-time, setting records for completions (456), attempts (785), completion percentage (58.1 percent), passing yards (6,481), TDs (33), total offensive yards (7,770), average yards per completion (13.8), yards in total offense per game (235.5) and yards per offensive play (6.36)… Tallied a school-record six 300-yard passing games in his career while having only 2.4 percent of his passes intercepted… Second-team all-America selection by the Associated Press as a senior, capturing the Big Eight Conference QB efficiency rating title by completing 147-of-237 passes (62.0 percent) for 2,071 yards and 10 TDs…

================================

http://scorecenter.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=145026

dennis dixon

YEAR......CMP........ATT.........YDS......CMP%.... .YPA.....LNG..........TD...INT...SACK
2004.............6..........15 ............73..........40.0......4.87........22.. ..........0.......0...........1
2005 ..........69.......104...........777..........66.3 .....7.47........68.............6.......3......... .4
2006.........197.......322........2143..........61 .2.....6.66........67...........12.....14......... .6
2007.........172.......254........2136..........67 .7.....8.41........85...........20.......4........ 13

College stats: 26 starts, 5,122 yards, 38 TDs, 21 INT (also ran 199 times for 1,032 yards and 11 touchdowns in the last two seasons).

he had 20td's and 4 picks before his injury. just think, it could of been 40/8 if he never got hurt

khorton9986
03-24-2010, 03:58 PM
Didn't the injury happen with only a couple games left in the year?

pete74
03-24-2010, 04:01 PM
he was hurt the 3rd to last game. he hurt his knee the game before against arizona state then played the next week against arizona and completly tore his acl. they were ranked #2 in the country before dixon got hurt but fell apart after he couldnt play

xbroughneck
03-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Whatever it is Dixon better be getting ready incase we need him this year.. Don't think Ben is gonna get suspended but you never know..

I think we can all expect Dixon, in his third year, to play as well as Ben did during Ben's first year.

The problem with that is....if he has to play a full season I don't think the Steelers will do better than 10-6, or 9-7.....

That would result in another year out of the playoffs IMHO.

I think the Steelers are good enough, even with Dixon, to have a winning season.

I don't think they are good enough, with Dixon, to win the SB.

Rick5895
03-25-2010, 06:15 AM
I think we can all expect Dixon, in his third year, to play as well as Ben did during Ben's first year.

The problem with that is....if he has to play a full season I don't think the Steelers will do better than 10-6, or 9-7.....

That would result in another year out of the playoffs IMHO.

I think the Steelers are good enough, even with Dixon, to have a winning season.

I don't think they are good enough, with Dixon, to win the SB.

I agree that DD will play well if forced into playing, but, I also think the Steelers will remain a SB contender. Dixon brings some things to the Table Ben does not. He throws a better deep ball, which could loosen up the opposing D. In addition, he can run (when he hit the edge against Balt, he was gone for a TD, did a similiar thing vs Buff in pre season) and that threat also widens the defense out, which will provide more inside room for Mendy to run.
Ben is a playmaker and this whole discussion maybe unwarranted but IMO if Dixon lays we will be more than fine.

markymarc
03-26-2010, 08:54 PM
NO IT ISN'T NICE HAVING DD AS A BACK UP. That is my argument. I disagree with your whole premise. We need more than DD.

I don't want the second coming of christ - i just want a better, way better, option than DD.

He's shown me nothing to think so highly of him and be "glad" that he's the backup.

And who exactly would you feel comfortable with as the Steelers backup QB? I can't wait to see this list you provide. By the way, how many backup QBs do you know of that were forced into their first NFL start playing in Baltimore and taking them to overtime before losing?

Corey120120
03-29-2010, 08:38 AM

Is it because hes black? figure i would put that out there. either that or your name is Mark Madden.

Corey120120
03-29-2010, 08:42 AM
And who exactly would you feel comfortable with as the Steelers backup QB? I can't wait to see this list you provide. By the way, how many backup QBs do you know of that were forced into their first NFL start playing in Baltimore and taking them to overtime before losing?

Exactly. His first start was an away game against one of the best defenses in the league and he took them to OT. i think he is a very good player and has good potential. I gurantee if Ben gets suspened and dixon plays, and dixon wins us the first couple games EVERYONE will jump on the bandwagon.

AndyWitmyer
03-30-2010, 01:59 AM
Dixon showed a lot of poise in his game against the Ravens last year - in spite of coming in and playing on an offense that is essentially built around the strengths and weaknesses of Ben, he still played a hell of a game. Yeah, they lost, but let's be fair - even with Ben at the helm, at that point in the season the Steelers were losing against teams a hell of a lot worse than the Ravens. Four of the them, to be exact.

Again, the dude took the defensively impressive Ravens into OT as a back-up QB - that alone demonstrates to me that kid has a lot of promise!

On the subject of Ben (and how his current situation relates to Dixon): I've been a fan of Big Ben right from the start. Without a doubt, #7 has been a big part of the Steelers' success last decade. I won't deny that. And yet, a part of me is almost hoping that Ben is forced to sit out a few games. I think a little discipline might be good for him and who knows, it might light a fire under his @ss (look at what it did for Donovan McNabb a season or two ago when Reid benched him mid-season - he came back in a few games later playing statistically better than he had in years). I think Ben's starting to feel invincible - that his conduct no longer matters because, well, he's Big Ben and he can do what he wants. The thing is, it doesn't work that way and where he is now only proves it.

Also, I've been starting to get increasingly unimpressed with Ben's style of play - while once novel and different (to a degree it still is), I can't help but to think that defenses are getting pretty used to seeing it. I also haven't seen a whole lot of growth, in terms of expanding his style - he's still making a lot of the same mistakes that he made in 2005 (sometimes more of them now than then). He's still lousy at reading the blitz, and I know its cliche to say it, but he still holds on the ball too long. Yeah, sometimes he'll make some great plays - but he's also a $100 million QB that's getting sacked 50 times a season... in that regard, having Dennis Dixon play a few games might not only help to provide a fresh perspective, but it might give Ben something to contemplate from the bench. You know, something other than the next $12 million out of court settlement (aka the cost of getting a BJ).

I'm pretty sure that if things don't change for the better, Ben is either going to sustain a (potentially horrific) career-ending injury -OR- he's going wind up in jail. Obviously, I don't want Ben to be injured, nor do I want to see him in prison - but let's be honest, if things keep going the way they've been going, I think it's fair to begin legitimately asking what the Steelers might plan to do in a world post-Ben. Are they prepared for that possibility? It pains me to say this stuff because I've always thought very highly of Ben but my god, he's become such a liability! If its not 50 sacks, 5 or so concussions, a near-fatal motorcycle accident, or playing after an appendectomy, it's being a accused of sexual assault during the offseason. Not once, but twice. If Ben doesn't shape up he's either going to find himself seriously injured, dead, or in a state penitentiary.

My point being - if the worst comes to pass, I think we ought to be looking at the talent we already. Even if Ben is cleared to play next season without a suspension, Dennis ought to get some playing time now and then to keep him sharp, JUST IN CASE. I know people will think I'm being insensitive or controversial - I'd argue that I'm just being pragmatic. Sometimes reality is harsh. I'd like to believe that Ben is going to get his act together and play better than ever next season. It's just that at this point I'm going to need to see it in order to believe it.

If Ben can make it through this coming season (as well as the following offseason) without a serious concussion and without a single allegation of sexual assault, then I'll be impressed.

fansince'76
03-30-2010, 08:53 AM
Dixon showed a lot of poise in his game against the Ravens last year - in spite of coming in and playing on an offense that is essentially built around the strengths and weaknesses of Ben, he still played a hell of a game. Yeah, they lost, but let's be fair - even with Ben at the helm, at that point in the season the Steelers were losing against teams a hell of a lot worse than the Ravens. Four of the them, to be exact.

Again, the dude took the defensively impressive Ravens into OT as a back-up QB - that alone demonstrates to me that kid has a lot of promise!

On the subject of Ben (and how his current situation relates to Dixon): I've been a fan of Big Ben right from the start. Without a doubt, #7 has been a big part of the Steelers' success last decade. I won't deny that. And yet, a part of me is almost hoping that Ben is forced to sit out a few games. I think a little discipline might be good for him and who knows, it might light a fire under his @ss (look at what it did for Donovan McNabb a season or two ago when Reid benched him mid-season - he came back in a few games later playing statistically better than he had in years). I think Ben's starting to feel invincible - that his conduct no longer matters because, well, he's Big Ben and he can do what he wants. The thing is, it doesn't work that way and where he is now only proves it.

Also, I've been starting to get increasingly unimpressed with Ben's style of play - while once novel and different (to a degree it still is), I can't help but to think that defenses are getting pretty used to seeing it. I also haven't seen a whole lot of growth, in terms of expanding his style - he's still making a lot of the same mistakes that he made in 2005 (sometimes more of them now than then). He's still lousy at reading the blitz, and I know its cliche to say it, but he still holds on the ball too long. Yeah, sometimes he'll make some great plays - but he's also a $100 million QB that's getting sacked 50 times a season... in that regard, having Dennis Dixon play a few games might not only help to provide a fresh perspective, but it might give Ben something to contemplate from the bench. You know, something other than the next $12 million out of court settlement (aka the cost of getting a BJ).

I'm pretty sure that if things don't change for the better, Ben is either going to sustain a (potentially horrific) career-ending injury -OR- he's going wind up in jail. Obviously, I don't want Ben to be injured, nor do I want to see him in prison - but let's be honest, if things keep going the way they've been going, I think it's fair to begin legitimately asking what the Steelers might plan to do in a world post-Ben. Are they prepared for that possibility? It pains me to say this stuff because I've always thought very highly of Ben but my god, he's become such a liability! If its not 50 sacks, 5 or so concussions, a near-fatal motorcycle accident, or playing after an appendectomy, it's being a accused of sexual assault during the offseason. Not once, but twice. If Ben doesn't shape up he's either going to find himself seriously injured, dead, or in a state penitentiary.

My point being - if the worst comes to pass, I think we ought to be looking at the talent we already. Even if Ben is cleared to play next season without a suspension, Dennis ought to get some playing time now and then to keep him sharp, JUST IN CASE. I know people will think I'm being insensitive or controversial - I'd argue that I'm just being pragmatic. Sometimes reality is harsh. I'd like to believe that Ben is going to get his act together and play better than ever next season. It's just that at this point I'm going to need to see it in order to believe it.

If Ben can make it through this coming season (as well as the following offseason) without a serious concussion and without a single allegation of sexual assault, then I'll be impressed.

Sorry, but I just gotta laugh at you voluminously dumping on Ben after making all kinds of excuses for Plexiglass and being all over his jock in another thread.

scsteeler
03-30-2010, 09:21 AM

Ben is and until something changes that the Starting QB for the Steelers! Dixon is a guy that is waiting for his shot to show he can be a starting QB in which I hope that is no time soon. (I want to make a point that I really like Dixon and can't wait to see him get his shot as a starting QB with the Steelers) but Big Ben is the man and I can't wait for all of this mess to blow over and hopefully in Ben's favor.

plenewken
03-30-2010, 10:08 AM
O'Donnell was our QB when the Steelers went to the Superbowl in 1995. I don't see why it couldn't happen with Dixon,
As for Ben, he's most likely only 1 more concussion away from retirement and the way he plays, it's not gonna take long to happen. Sorry but that's a fact.
Guilty or not guilty is not the point. The Steelers FO better start thinking of Plan B now.

AndyWitmyer
03-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Sorry, but I just gotta laugh at you voluminously dumping on Ben after making all kinds of excuses for Plexiglass and being all over his jock in another thread.

I'm not "dumping" on Ben - I'm simply calling it as I see it. I personally don't wouldn't want to see Ben getting removed from the Steelers line-up, but man are you ever delusional if you think that he's not put himself in a pretty precarious situation - not just once, but almost every offseason since 2005. My posts are "voluminous" because I haven't been on the board since the the playoffs - I wanted to get across everything I've been thinking about since this whole sex scandal blew up. And my apologies if my somewhat pessimistic opinion of Ben somehow offends you.

I stuck up for Plax because I personally think his sentence was harsh - and I was simply agreeing with another person's post that it might be cool if Plax was back on the team at some point. But, as the old saying goes, opinions are like @ssholes - everyone's got one and they stink! :hatsoff:

Matty™
03-30-2010, 11:54 AM
O'Donnell was our QB when the Steelers went to the Superbowl in 1995. I don't see why it couldn't happen with Dixon,
As for Ben, he's most likely only 1 more concussion away from retirement and the way he plays, it's not gonna take long to happen. Sorry but that's a fact.
Guilty or not guilty is not the point. The Steelers FO better start thinking of Plan B now.

Him getting knocked about will slowly see his form nose dive, another big hit to his head like you said and he will be done. He'll try to play after a couple weeks out and just fail miserably.

Not jumping on a bandwagon but Dixon has shown promise but not enough, yes taking he Ravens into OT was great, but next time I want to see DIxon take the W before my faith is truly bestowed upon him.

:helmet:

AndyWitmyer
03-30-2010, 11:55 AM

^This

Ben's criminal charges are just a small part of the problem - the dude gets sacked 50 times a season, he's had 5 or so concussions, and he nearly killed himself on a motorcycle. Big Ben is as tough as they come, but he's not a god - he's certainly not invincible. IF Ben continues to get sacked game after game after game like this, I'd say that the odds of him sustaining at the very least a season-ending injury are pretty high. My point is that we ought to be thankful to have a young, promising player like Dixon as a back-up.... just in case. You know?