PDA

View Full Version : McSmash's mock 3.0

Steely McSmash
03-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Thought I'd throw something out there.

1. Dan Williams NT TEN - Good NT is still hard to get. Seems like good value. Could push to start in 2011. Hoke could go into DE rotation.

2. Jerry Hughes OLB TCU - Good potential and could use a year to bulk up.

3. John Jerry - OG Miss. - Run blocker that can fire off the ball and open some holes

4. Amari Spievey CB Iowa - Good CB with a nose for the ball

5. Joique Bell RB Wayne St. - Good change of pace / 3rd down guy. Compete with Redman for #3 RB spot.

5b Freddy Barnes WR Bowling Green - great undervalued receiver. Can carry Hines's pads.

5c Joe Pawelek ILB Baylor - Good potential here, instinctive player and good leader. Needs to bulk up a bit which is fine because he won't smell the field in 2010 outside of ST.

6 Sean Canfield QB Ore St. - Decent prospect. Some reviews said he makes good decisions. We could use that in a QB :doh:

7 Nate Byham TE Pitt - Blocking TE takes over for Spaeth. Passable qualities as a receiver if pressed into service.

7b Cory Jackson FB Maryland - Compete with Tank for #4 FB/RB spot.

As an alternate consider same as above but with

2. Perrish Cox CB Ok St - Physical corner,playmaker, leader

4. Lindsay Witten OLB Connecticut - Very physical mostly DE in College, good rush skills.

7willBheaven
03-22-2010, 11:48 PM
I dont have a problem getting a NT. Unless they think/know Legursky is the future C...then I'd like a C in the 2nd/3rd and I'd pass on the G...we dont need anymore G's...and i personally dont know much about the guys from 5B on...besides the Pitt TE...but not too bad overall.

Steely McSmash
03-22-2010, 11:59 PM
I dont have a problem getting a NT. Unless they think/know Legursky is the future C...then I'd like a C in the 2nd/3rd and I'd pass on the G...we dont need anymore G's...and i personally dont know much about the guys from 5B on...besides the Pitt TE...but not too bad overall.

Thanks. I certainly wouldn't mind Tennant or Walton in the 3rd for OC. My opinion is that we have a lot of guards but none of them are very good. Kemo looked good in one game this year. He didn't keep it up though.

7willBheaven
03-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Thanks. I certainly wouldn't mind Tennant or Walton in the 3rd for OC. My opinion is that we have a lot of guards but none of them are very good. Kemo looked good in one game this year. He didn't keep it up though.

I actually thought Kemo had a good year until he got banged up...you could tell a difference. And i think Urbik should work out well...my key thing/thinking is...we draft him in the 3rd last year...why draft another in the 1st-3rd or so again until we know what we got with him. I'd rather get a stud T or C if we go online.

Aussie_steeler
03-23-2010, 03:43 AM
My brain is scrambled after all the free agent signings. It is really hard to be critical of any mocks with what has transpired of late.

Williams at NT is a pick that could afford to sit and wait for 2 years, spell Casey a little and grow into his future role.

First thoughts on the mock are that Jerry Hughes is going to go higher ( probably late first round), but I definitely agree that an OLB in round 2 is not out of the question. I really like Koa Misi in the second or possibly Ricky Sapp

The only name I really dont like is your option at #2 Perrish Cox. For some reason, maybe character, I am just not sold on him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
03-23-2010, 08:50 AM
2. Perrish Cox CB Ok St - Physical corner,playmaker, leader

Yikes....I would stay as far away from Cox as possible....this guy has "bengal" written all over him!!!

03/05/10 - Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy will not allow star cornerback Perrish Cox to work out at the team facilities for NFL scouts during the Cowboys' Pro Day March 10. Gundy announced as much publicly during a radio interview yesterday with Al Jerken on the Sports Animal Tulsa network. Gundy's decision continues a stunning fall from grace for the former All-Big 12 star. Cox was suspended due to two separate curfew violations while the team prepared in Dallas for the Alamo Bowl against Mississippi. He was not allowed to participate in the bowl game. Making matters worse, during his session with the media, Cox characterized the questions he received from NFL teams about his suspension from the Cowboys as being "harassed." Cox's term wasn't a slip of the tongue; he repeated the word several times to describe his Q and A sessions with teams. Cox furthermore hurt his chances with clubs by coming in much slower than expected during drills. Considered one of the top corners in the nation and a big play returner (six career touchdown returns), Cox was timed in the high 4.5s to low 4.6s in the 40-yard dash. Apparently, he'll need to find another location if he is to work out for scouts prior to the draft. Considering his characterization of their questions, it is difficult to believe scouts will be willing to go out of their way to see him again. It's too bad. Cox is a talented player worthy of first round consideration. At this point, however, it is questionable if he'll make the second or even third round. I've spoken to teams who have discussed removing him off their draft board entirely. - Rob Rang, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=64874&draftyear=2010&genpos=CB

St33lersguy
03-23-2010, 09:04 PM
We need a safety, can't walk out of this draft without a safety

steelerdave1969
03-23-2010, 10:00 PM
With the Free Agent signings that the Steelers have made, I think it is imparable that they will be looking strongly at DB and Offensive Linemen. Casey Hampton will be fine for his remaining 3 years of his contract atleast 2 of them. As of right now I know that we have no replacement for him for the future but maybe that comes next spring. Safety is taken care of with the resigning of Clark, I know he wont be here for 10 more years or anything like that, but he is a good compliment to Troy. This doesnt mean that I dont see them taking a Safety fairly early but a Corner and Offensive Linemen seems way more important at this moment. Even the signing of Foote gives us promise for the next few years, as if anything happens to James Harrison or Lamar Woodley then Lawrence Timmons can move outside and insert Foote right back in to where he is already accustomed. Alot of people think that Timmons is more suited for the Outside anyways and I am kind of in the boat with them.

kirklandrules
03-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Even the signing of Foote gives us promise for the next few years, as if anything happens to James Harrison or Lamar Woodley then Lawrence Timmons can move outside and insert Foote right back in to where he is already accustomed. Alot of people think that Timmons is more suited for the Outside anyways and I am kind of in the boat with them.

I think Timmons will make an excellent ILB ... but not in Foote's old position ... in Farrior's position. He has the speed and did display great downfield ability in pass protection. He just wasn't up to shedding the guards during run plays, which is usually where Foote excelled. In fact, i thought Fox did a pretty good job backing up that run stopping position. So, we'd have Foote/Fox in the Mack and Farrior/Timmons in the Buck.

jollyrob68
03-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Dont touch COX,Take Pouncey or Earl Thomas if he's still There. Move back if you can pickup a 2nd round pick and hope Pouncey,Odrick,Cody or Devin McCourtey,Kyle Wilson,Kareem Jackson & Taylor Mays might be on the board.
If they take Pouncey in the 1st they can focus on Defense. 1.C 2.CB 3.LB 4.FS/SS 5. RB 5a.LB 5c.DL 6.OT 7. FB/TE 7A. DL.

Steely McSmash
03-25-2010, 09:41 PM
I think Timmons will make an excellent ILB ... but not in Foote's old position ... in Farrior's position. He has the speed and did display great downfield ability in pass protection. He just wasn't up to shedding the guards during run plays, which is usually where Foote excelled. In fact, i thought Fox did a pretty good job backing up that run stopping position. So, we'd have Foote/Fox in the Mack and Farrior/Timmons in the Buck.

I think you've got the mack and buck mixed up. Mack is the coverage/flow to the play guy. Buck is the takes on blocks guy. (I remember this as the M from Mack is an upside down W and the mack is more weakside type of a role)

The problem with Timmons is that he's got Mack skills but he doesn't have the leadership to go with it. Ideally the Mack should be the field general. I guess Timmons is kind of quiet so I think he's not ideal in that role.

Psyychoward86
03-25-2010, 10:17 PM
I think you've got the mack and buck mixed up. Mack is the coverage/flow to the play guy. Buck is the takes on blocks guy. (I remember this as the M from Mack is an upside down W and the mack is more weakside type of a role)

The problem with Timmons is that he's got Mack skills but he doesn't have the leadership to go with it. Ideally the Mack should be the field general. I guess Timmons is kind of quiet so I think he's not ideal in that role.

Foote was our mack linebacker, Farrior is and was the buck linebacker

Steely McSmash
03-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Foote was our mack linebacker, Farrior is and was the buck linebacker

I think we're on the same page for the idea of the players but I've read some differing descriptions of Mac/Buck. Seems like the PGH media sources agree with you unless you're saying that 220lb Farrior is the one taking on blocks ( and you're not)

Couple sources:

Farrior = Buck (no description)

http://pit.scout.com/2/894226.html

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10060/1039382-66.stm

Farrior = Mack (weak side)

http://waldo56.wordpress.com/2009/08/21/a-hat-on-a-hat-plus-one/

http://www.steelersfever.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49399&page=2