PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Tomlin denies reports Roethlisberger appealed for Arians

Galax Steeler
03-23-2010, 04:40 AM
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Ben Roethlisberger has been accused of doing many things lately. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin says there is one thing his quarterback did not do; he did not make an appeal to save his coordinator's job.

There were reports shortly after the Steelers' 2009 season ended that Tomlin planned to fire offensive coordinator Bruce Arians only to relent after Roethlisberger's plea to keep him.

"All false," Tomlin said Monday. "It's really a joke."

Tomlin spoke publicly for any length of time since he held a news conference Jan. 5, two days after the season ended without a playoff appearance for the Steelers. Tomlin subsequently fired several coaches but Arians was not among them. He said he was aware of the reports he was going to fire his offensive coordinator.

"I don't know where it came from," Tomlin said during a 30-minute interview at the NFL meetings. "I think it was generated by people outside of our building. I became aware of the confusion, but it wasn't something that was generated by us or through us so really I didn't have an opinion regarding it then, and I really don't now."

Tomlin agreed with team president Art Rooney's assertion to the Post-Gazette that the Steelers must run the ball more consistently than they did in 2009. And he said if they can find a fullback that suits the style of blocking to accomplish that -- as Dan Kreider did previously -- they will use him.

"We've got to run the ball more effectively in critical situations because that's how we desire to play football and it increases our chances of winning," Tomlin said. "It makes us a more dominant football team."

He said they hope to run better by working at it, which includes emphasizing it as well as executing it.

"It's a mentality. We've got to commit to doing it. Yes, ultimately when the ball's inside the white lines and we're playing football it's about execution. But it's also about planning, it's about preparation. It's a commitment, one that we're willing to continue to turn stones over to make sure that we're doing our very best to make sure we're great in those areas."

Among other notable topics Tomlin broached Monday:

• Antwaan Randle El could be used in some ways how he was used before he left the Steelers as a free agent in 2006, including throwing the occasional pass and as a punt returner.

"I'm open to it developing. I'm not going to assume he's the same guy he was when he left here. Four years is a long time in football terms but we know what he's capable of."

• On finding a running back to complement Rashard Mendenhall:

"Mewelde Moore has shown he's capable of that and he started five or six games and ran for 500, 600 yards in '08. He's shown capabilities in that area but we're not going to stop there. With the moves that we've made it's obvious that we're intent on creating competition. We believe that strengthens us. We've done that at linebacker. We've done so at safety. We've done so at wide receiver. If given the opportunity we'll continue to do so at running back."

• On the health of linebacker Larry Foote, who did not play in Detroit's final two games because, one source said, he had a Lisfranc foot injury:

"I feel great about it. He passed our physical so I was comfortable with it."

• On the chance Dennis Dixon will remain the No. 2 quarterback, after he moved into that job when Charlie Batch broke a wrist last season:

"He's a young guy who took a nice step between year one and year two. In terms of what he brings to the table, man, if he continues on that path I see no reason why he shouldn't."

• Nearly three months later, on what went wrong in 2009 that kept his Super Bowl champs from making the playoffs, particularly their five-game losing streak:

"Because that was us. That's the story of the National Football League. It's one of the reasons I love it, man. You either do or you don't. We didn't.

"It was an uncomfortable stretch there for us all that highlights what we weren't. But the reality is we were not a playoff-caliber team. That's why we didn't make it."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10082/1044933-66.stm

Steelers>NFL
03-23-2010, 08:17 AM
"Tomlin agreed with team president Art Rooney's assertion to the Post-Gazette that the Steelers must run the ball more consistently than they did in 2009. And he said if they can find a fullback that suits the style of blocking to accomplish that -- as Dan Kreider did previously -- they will use him."

"We've got to run the ball more effectively in critical situations because that's how we desire to play football and it increases our chances of winning," Tomlin said. "It makes us a more dominant football team."
---
Let's home he means this. If we can run the ball more consistantly, to go along with our great passing game
it will be an exciting seasons. Looking forward to upcoming season.

mesaSteeler
03-23-2010, 08:24 AM
Tomlin refutes rumors of Arians' firing
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_672926.html
By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, March 23, 2010

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said offensive coordinator Bruce Arians was not in danger of losing his job following the 2009 season.

There had been speculation that Tomlin would fire Arians, who has been a lightning rod for fan criticism as the Steelers have become a more pass-oriented attack and struggled in short-yardage running situations.

Asked specifically about a rumor that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger talked him out of firing Arians in early January, Tomlin said, "All false. It's really a joke.

"I don't know where it came from. I think it was generated by people outside of our building. I didn't have an opinion regarding it then and I really don't now."

The Steelers had a 4,000-yard passer, two 1,000-yard receivers and a 1,000-yard rusher for the first time in franchise history last season. But they finished 19th in the league in rushing (112.1 yards per game) and had trouble running the ball when they were inside their opponents' 20-yard line.

Tomlin said the Steelers, who hired Sean Kugler as offensive line coach, need to make more of a commitment to running the ball.

He said he is open to adding a traditional fullback -- something the Steelers haven't had since releasing Dan Kreider in 2008 -- to the roster.

But, Tomlin said, "If we don't have that guy, we're not going to put a square peg in a round hole. Everything that we do offensively, defensively and special teams is geared toward accentuating the skill set of the people we have."

Injury update

Tomlin said he has gotten positive reports regarding players who missed significant time last season because of injuries.

That includes strong safety Troy Polamalu, who was limited to five games in 2009 because of separate injuries to his left knee, and defensive end Aaron Smith.

The Steelers put Smith on injured reserve in October after he tore his rotator cuff.

Tomlin said he will limit the amount of work Smith gets in offseason practices, though not just because Smith will turn 34 next month and is coming off a major injury.

Tomlin said the Steelers want to give extra work to second-year defensive ends Ziggy Hood and Sunny Harris this spring.

"(Smith's) number of snaps in the spring and summer would be de-emphasized whether he was injured or not," Tomlin said.

Losses turn into gains

The Steelers will have two extra fifth-round picks and an additional seventh-round selection in next month's NFL Draft.

The Steelers were awarded three of the 32 compensatory draft picks that were doled out yesterday at the NFL owners meetings.

They received the picks for losing wide receiver Nate Washington, cornerback Bryant McFadden and quarterback Byron Leftwich in free agency last year.

The extra picks are No. 164, 166 and 242 in the draft, which will be held April 22-24.

The Steelers had one pick in all seven rounds prior to picking up the additional selections.

The New England Patriots lead all teams with four compensatory picks.

Extra points

Starting center Justin Hartwig will be limited in offseason practices after having offseason shoulder surgery, Tomlin said. ... Larry Foote, who signed with the Steelers last week, may have scared some teams off because of a lingering foot injury. But Tomlin said Foote passed the Steelers' physical and that he is "comfortable" with the signing. ... The Steelers will hold their first two offseason practices April 21-22. The NFL allows teams to hold 14 voluntary practices during the offseason.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Chidi29
03-23-2010, 08:47 PM
"Tomlin agreed with team president Art Rooney's assertion to the Post-Gazette that the Steelers must run the ball more consistently than they did in 2009. And he said if they can find a fullback that suits the style of blocking to accomplish that -- as Dan Kreider did previously -- they will use him."

---
Let's home he means this. If we can run the ball more consistantly, to go along with our great passing game
it will be an exciting seasons. Looking forward to upcoming season.

While I agree we need to be more effective in such situations, let's not forget this comment made by Tomlin in the same article.

But, Tomlin said, "If we don't have that guy, we're not going to put a square peg in a round hole. Everything that we do offensively, defensively and special teams is geared toward accentuating the skill set of the people we have."

Which I agree with 100%. And considering all the weapons we have at WR, at the very least, a decent straight line blocker in Johnson or possibly McHugh, and extinction of road-grading fullbacks, I wouldn't count on getting another Krieder in our lineup for a long, long time.

St33lersguy
03-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Consider that the steelers were leaning towards Arians' firing & that Ben likes working with Arians. Put that into account with when Ben asked for a tall WR before the 2008 draft he got his wish

AllD
03-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Are they saying Foote has a foot injury? That's like a libraian named "Bookman".

HometownGal
03-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Consider that the steelers were leaning towards Arians' firing & that Ben likes working with Arians. Put that into account with when Ben asked for a tall WR before the 2008 draft he got his wish

Damn that liar Tomlin. The next time we see him, he'll have a 3" growth on the end of his nose.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tnpPU5qMUSM/SkzURSOIDYI/AAAAAAAABpw/YpJBpaZWK5A/s400/crickets+chirping,jpg.gif

LVSteelersfan
03-23-2010, 11:45 PM
I still have aspirations that Frank the Tank will foot the bill at FB. He looked bad last year when he played but rookies don't always get it right off the bat. Lets hope he is ready to rock and roll this year.

zulater
03-24-2010, 07:18 AM
I still don't think we have full disclosure on the early offseason disposition of the coaching staff and all that transpired in the retention and dismissal of the staff as it was and currently is Or more simply put, I don't think various local writers that have no history of fabricating news simply decided to make up a bunch of lies about Arians continued employment with the Steelers. Imo something went down, but even if that's the case there's no reason for the Steelers to explain what that may have been and what the proccess was in their eventual decision to retain Arians. .. Transparency just isn't s.o.p. for billion dollar corporations.

Texasteel
03-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Damn that liar Tomlin. The next time we see him, he'll have a 3" growth on the end of his nose.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tnpPU5qMUSM/SkzURSOIDYI/AAAAAAAABpw/YpJBpaZWK5A/s400/crickets+chirping,jpg.gif

It's much more impressive then the story starts with, " I heard from this guy I know".

X-Terminator
03-24-2010, 08:20 AM
I still don't think we have full disclosure on the early offseason disposition of the coaching staff and all that transpired in the retention and dismissal of the staff as it was and currently is Or more simply put, I don't think various local writers that have no history of fabricating news simply decided to make up a bunch of lies about Arians continued employment with the Steelers. Imo something went down, but even if that's the case there's no reason for the Steelers to explain what that may have been and what the proccess was in their eventual decision to retain Arians. .. Transparency just isn't s.o.p. for billion dollar corporations.

Or maybe that people were wrong about Arians' alleged firing and can't admit it? :noidea:

We now have 2 people - the head honcho and the head coach - who have said that the reports of Arians' firing were unsubstantiated. Tomlin saying so is most telling, because so many here have said that the Rooneys leave it up to the head coach to hire or fire assistants. Therefore, if Tomlin says Arians was never going to be fired, then that should be the end of it. It won't be, because Jim Wexell and Lance Zierlein apparently have more credibility than members of the front office.

Bottom line is either Mr. Rooney and Mike Tomlin are lying to cover up their true feelings or intentions at the time, as is being implied, or the reports (really just rumors) of Arians' firing were premature. You can choose to believe the rumors. I'll take the story straight from the horse's mouth.

MasterOfPuppets
03-24-2010, 08:28 AM
. I'll take the story straight from the horse's mouth.

did you believe cowher when he denied the rumors that he was leaving pittsburgh ?:noidea:

Texasteel
03-24-2010, 08:48 AM
did you believe cowher when he denied the rumors that he was leaving pittsburgh ?:noidea:

I have not reason to believe that Tomlin is lying, unless you have something to show that he is.

X-Terminator
03-24-2010, 08:52 AM

I don't remember caring one way or the other. Nice deflection, though.

MasterOfPuppets
03-24-2010, 09:01 AM
I have not reason to believe that Tomlin is lying, unless you have something to show that he is. would you really expect him or rooney to say " well we talked about tellin him to hit the bricks, but we decided to let his contract run its course, besides...ben likes him "....:doh: ....of course they're gonna deny it...just like i would deny it if my girlfriend ever asked me if i ever thought about kicking her to the curb.....:chuckle:

Texasteel
03-24-2010, 09:06 AM
would you really expect him or rooney to say " well we talked about tellin him to hit the bricks, but we decided to let his contract run its course, besides...ben likes him "....:doh: ....of course they're gonna deny it...just like i would deny it if my girlfriend ever asked me if i ever thought about kicking her to the curb.....:chuckle:

The only stories that have the sources name attached to it has denied it. Until something more concrete comes out than " I heard from this guy". Yes sir I will believe what they say. Not going to call a man a lier without knowing he is.

MasterOfPuppets
03-24-2010, 09:09 AM
I don't remember caring one way or the other. Nice deflection, though.
ummmm...how in the hell was that a deflection ? don't deflections usually follow a question you don't wanna answer truethfully? like the one i asked you ? did you or did you not believe cowher when he denied his leaving ?

X-Terminator
03-24-2010, 09:46 AM
ummmm...how in the hell was that a deflection ? don't deflections usually follow a question you don't wanna answer truethfully? like the one i asked you ? did you or did you not believe cowher when he denied his leaving ?

I did answer your question, and that is I didn't care one way or the other if he was leaving or not. The team would have been fine either way.

It's a deflection because you and everyone else who jumped all over those rumors cannot admit that you were wrong and Wexell/L. Zierlein were wrong about his alleged and imminent firing. Instead, we get one excuse after another. "Well, it could have been this, or it could have been that." Nothing but speculation and wishful thinking. Both Rooney and Tomlin have said his firing was never discussed. Period. If you want to call them liars, go right ahead.

kirklandrules
03-24-2010, 11:05 AM
I think someone on the fringe of the organization (The Source) made a speculative guess and threw it to one member of the media (probably over drinks). Now that source won't be credible and a certain member of the media has egg on his face. And do you really think Ben is pulling the strings and not the Rooneys? I saw the post where someone said Ben wanted a tall receiver and they drafted a tall receiver ... as if that proves Ben pulls the strings with this team. Guess those strings weren't working too well when Ben said don't let Plexiglass go and the FO let Plexiglass go.

There might have been a message to Arian after last season to find a way to establish a consistent running game next year or he'd be history and that might have gotten blown into an imminent firing. But I really don't think he was on his way out only to have Ben ride to the rescue. Sorry, but that idea would assume that the Rooneys are weak owners ... which they are not.

MasterOfPuppets
03-24-2010, 05:08 PM
I did answer your question, and that is I didn't care one way or the other if he was leaving or not. The team would have been fine either way.

It's a deflection because you and everyone else who jumped all over those rumors cannot admit that you were wrong and Wexell/L. Zierlein were wrong about his alleged and imminent firing. Instead, we get one excuse after another. "Well, it could have been this, or it could have been that." Nothing but speculation and wishful thinking. Both Rooney and Tomlin have said his firing was never discussed. Period. If you want to call them liars, go right ahead.
once again...i didn't ask you how you felt about cowher leaving ... i asked you if you believed him WHEN HE DENIED RUMORS THAT HE PLANNED TO LEAVE ... the question requires ONLY a yes or no answer. i'm starting to think YOUR doing a bit of deflecting.... :popcorn:

tony hipchest
03-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Wexell/L. Zierlein were wrong about his alleged and imminent firing.

that might make sense if it were remotely true. :doh:

your selective memory has failed you.

try again.

MasterOfPuppets
03-24-2010, 06:59 PM
hey tony....did you believe cowher when he denied the rumors that he was planning to leave pittsburgh ?

Texasteel
03-24-2010, 07:23 PM

try again.

Are you saying that Wexel did not report that BA was about to be fired, or that the report of BAs firing was true.

X-Terminator
03-24-2010, 09:18 PM
once again...i didn't ask you how you felt about cowher leaving ... i asked you if you believed him WHEN HE DENIED RUMORS THAT HE PLANNED TO LEAVE ... the question requires ONLY a yes or no answer. i'm starting to think YOUR doing a bit of deflecting.... :popcorn:

And I say again that I didn't care. You can call it what you want, but that is my answer, OK? I DID NOT CARE ONE WAY OR THE OTHER ABOUT THE RUMORS OR COWHER'S DENIAL.

try again.

OK, it wasn't Wexell who reported that Arians was going to be fired, it was the guy from ESPN Radio 1250. Lance Zierlein backed that guy up and said he wasn't wrong. Wexell reported that Arians was going to be fired, but there was a change of heart, which evidently was NOT the case since both Mr. Rooney and Tomlin said that Arians was never discussed and that they hadn't even considered firing him. Regardless of who the players were, they were wrong, and the Arians detractors who jumped all over the initial story and are, in essence, calling Rooney and Tomlin liars were wrong as well.

tony hipchest
03-24-2010, 11:14 PM
...and the Arians detractors who jumped all over the initial story and are, in essence, calling Rooney and Tomlin liars....and you have a problem with that, why?

you seem not to care that cowher was a liar. :noidea:

oh, thats right. the holy leaders of the steelers are like the venerable george washington who would never tell a lie. :rolleyes:

zulater
03-25-2010, 01:17 AM
Are you saying that Wexel did not report that BA was about to be fired, or that the report of BAs firing was true.

Did he? That's not what I remembered him reporting.

devilsdancefloor
03-25-2010, 01:19 AM
some here need to try a little humble pie and i ma not talking the band either. Could it be that *gasp* you where wrong and so was the reports? Im not happy wht BA has done to the run game, but someone somewhere decided that he gets another year maybe 2 who knows. Hell he could get half way through next year and he gets canned. BUT that doesnt change that he is still here and coach says ben had nothing to do with him getting stay . is that so hard to believe over he was getting fired? i think the reports are the ones who got caught as frauds and liars cause look BA is a still here. Anyway please reflect before going all crazy on some folks.

tony hipchest
03-25-2010, 01:36 AM
Are you saying that Wexel did not report that BA was about to be fired, or that the report of BAs firing was true.yes. that is EXACTLY what i am saying.

HTG equated him to laird, and after that people ran with said opinion as gospel (just to refresh memories of what was ACTUALLY reported, heres the thread and ACTUAL article)-

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=46201&highlight=wexell&page=4

zulater
03-25-2010, 01:39 AM
some here need to try a little humble pie and i ma not talking the band either. Could it be that *gasp* you where wrong and so was the reports? Im not happy wht BA has done to the run game, but someone somewhere decided that he gets another year maybe 2 who knows. Hell he could get half way through next year and he gets canned. BUT that doesnt change that he is still here and coach says ben had nothing to do with him getting stay . is that so hard to believe over he was getting fired? i think the reports are the ones who got caught as frauds and liars cause look BA is a still here. Anyway please reflect before going all crazy on some folks.

Yeah well Wexall still is a feature writer for Steelers Digest which the Steelers exercise editorial control over. So I guess they're comfortable employing a liar ? Either that or I can believe a reporter with a proven track record didn't just make stuff up for shits and giggles about the Rooneys.

The end result is the end result, Arians is still here for the moment. good for him, we all hope he proves it wasn't a mistake to retain his services.

But too many otherwise reputable reporters( find one case where Wexall was caught in a lie why don't you?) claim there was something going on. They had no vested interest in reporting untruths. Conversly the Steelers gain nothing from tranparency. I still think tomlin and company aren't coming clean. Which in no way bothers me. There's no need for them to.

tony hipchest
03-25-2010, 02:12 AM
rooney also said that arians was doing a bang up job and they were pleased with his services...

right before he offered up what arians needed to correct and improve on in order to remain employed.

i guess its up to each individual to decide what "lie" they chose to believe. :noidea:

oh and the rooneys would never lie. they support, elected, and work for obama. :flap:

Preacher
03-25-2010, 03:42 AM
This is just precious.

Follow the irony.

Ben is accused... TWICE of sexual misconduct.... We know in BOTH cases he was with the woman that accused him, but since HE said he didn't do it, and we LIKE Ben, well, he didn't do it.

The two most important people (Rooney and Tomlin) in keeping Arians says Arians was NOT on the chopping block, and that the stories were made up. However, even though there is NO evidence except from a single story AT ESPN that was spun and re-spun by the news media, since we DONT like Arians, well, the team president, the coach, and even Ben are liars since they all have said Ben had nothing to do with saving Arians job.

:huh:

HometownGal
03-25-2010, 06:34 AM
HTG equated him to laird, and after that people ran with said opinion as gospel (just to refresh memories of what was ACTUALLY reported, heres the thread and ACTUAL article)-

This is what Wexell ACTUALLY penned in the ACTUAL article:

His sequence of playcalling in the second quarter Sunday showed his mettle, and showed why the Rooneys want Tomlin to find a new offensive coordinator.

Does Tomlin have the courage to fire a man with whom he’s won a ring? Or does he stand up to the pressures of the front office?

It should be an easy call; one that could be announced at a final press conference today

Given the fact that both Laird and Wexell were out and out proven wrong, I'd say my comparison was spot on.

Art Rooney II publicly stated that Arians' job wasn't discussed and praised BA on his OC performance. Tomlin publicly stated that the rumor started by "someone outside the building" that Ben pushed hard for BA to keep his job was totally false.

Mr. Rooney and Tomlin - those sleazy liars. :shake01:

Texasteel
03-25-2010, 06:39 AM
Did he? That's not what I remembered him reporting.

Well thats what you defended in a 3 day argument with me.

Texasteel
03-25-2010, 06:48 AM
yes. that is EXACTLY what i am saying.

Which is what you are saying exactly to? Did he or did he not report that BA was likely to be fired? AND Was the report true, in your opinoin, or not.

I don't understand why you are now pointing a finger at HTG. She only expressed the same opinion that several of us had. An opinion that still looks to be true.

zulater
03-25-2010, 07:05 AM
This is just precious.

Follow the irony.

Ben is accused... TWICE of sexual misconduct.... We know in BOTH cases he was with the woman that accused him, but since HE said he didn't do it, and we LIKE Ben, well, he didn't do it.

The two most important people (Rooney and Tomlin) in keeping Arians says Arians was NOT on the chopping block, and that the stories were made up. However, even though there is NO evidence except from a single story AT ESPN that was spun and re-spun by the news media, since we DONT like Arians, well, the team president, the coach, and even Ben are liars since they all have said Ben had nothing to do with saving Arians job.

:huh:

First off, I've never declared Ben guilty or not guilty. I've more than once said that at the very least he's got a problem in the manner he treats young woman.

Second i know many love to think the Steelers are immune to distorting the truth that gets out to the public, but I don't share that opinion. People with power, money and influence almost always distort the public message to their advantage.

How many times have we seen coaches who look right in a camera and state unequivically they have no interest in that job they've been rumored to be a candidate for and two weeks later they're the new coach? I could fill chapters on similiar distortions in sports, often by church going folk.

You don't have to lie to distort the truth either. You're asked whether you've ever discussed a job with another team and you say no, because you haven't. But youre agent sure as hell has. There's always avenue's for distortion when you've got the insiders angle of the story.

So sorry I think there was internal discussion about Arians. I don't think people just made up a story out of thin air for fun.

zulater
03-25-2010, 07:08 AM
Well thats what you defended in a 3 day argument with me.

Sorry, maybe that's your view of it, but you're wrong.

X-Terminator
03-25-2010, 09:55 AM
oh, thats right. the holy leaders of the steelers are like the venerable george washington who would never tell a lie. :rolleyes:

No, I am just more apt to take them at their word more so than a bunch of journalists spreading rumors. Seems YOU have a problem with that. Why?

The Rooneys are well within their rights to be displeased with the offense under Arians, and they have said so. They are, after all, the fricking owners of the franchise. But that doesn't mean they were all gung-ho to fire him despite what Laird and others reported. Again, if Rooney or especially Mike Tomlin wanted Arians gone, he would have been gone. The fact that he's still employed speaks for itself. If you want to side with Laird, Wexell, etc., that's fine by me. I do not, which apparently is NOT fine with you.

zulater
03-25-2010, 11:13 AM
No, I am just more apt to take them at their word more so than a bunch of journalists spreading rumors. Seems YOU have a problem with that. Why?

The Rooneys are well within their rights to be displeased with the offense under Arians, and they have said so. They are, after all, the fricking owners of the franchise. But that doesn't mean they were all gung-ho to fire him despite what Laird and others reported. Again, if Rooney or especially Mike Tomlin wanted Arians gone, he would have been gone. The fact that he's still employed speaks for itself. If you want to side with Laird, Wexell, etc., that's fine by me. I do not, which apparently is NOT fine with you.

Conversly if the Rooney's wanted Jim Wexall gone from the official publication of the team, Steelers Digest wouldn't you think the same would be true there?

So you expect me to believe that Wexall made up inflammatory blatantly false remarks,( lies) attributed them to the Rooney's and yet he remains in their employ on their "Official" publication?

Would you keep a person that defamed you in such a way on staff for your official publication if you had one?

I know I wouldn't.

:coffee:

MasterOfPuppets
03-25-2010, 11:58 AM
If you want to side with Laird, Wexell, etc., that's fine by me. I do not, which apparently is NOT fine with you.
is that so huh ? seems to me YOU were the one to bring it up.... here's your lead of sentence in your very first post in this thread...
Or maybe that people were wrong about Arians' alleged firing and can't admit it?
for somebody who's "fine" , with other peoples opinion / judgement , you sure seem to like to harp on it. i can see why you don't wanna answer the question concerning cowher... you'll either look gullible for saying you believed him, or you'll look like a hypocrite for saying you didn't. i mean its not like cowher had a reason to lie other than not wanting to cause a distraction and fuel the media fire. :popcorn:

fansince'76
03-25-2010, 12:12 PM
is that so huh ? seems to me YOU were the one to bring it up....

Mmmm....no, actually he wasn't - post #9 (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=789482#post789482) of this thread:

I still don't think we have full disclosure on the early offseason disposition of the coaching staff and all that transpired in the retention and dismissal of the staff as it was and currently is Or more simply put, I don't think various local writers that have no history of fabricating news simply decided to make up a bunch of lies about Arians continued employment with the Steelers.

for somebody who's "fine" , with other peoples opinion / judgement , you sure seem to like to harp on it. i can see why you don't wanna answer the question concerning cowher... you'll either look gullible for saying you believed him, or you'll look like a hypocrite for saying you didn't. i mean its not like cowher had a reason to lie other than not wanting to cause a distraction and fuel the media fire. :popcorn:

Bu-bu-bu-bu-Cowher! :coffee:

X-Terminator
03-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Conversly if the Rooney's wanted Jim Wexall gone from the official publication of the team, Steelers Digest wouldn't you think the same would be true there?

So you expect me to believe that Wexall made up inflammatory blatantly false remarks,( lies) attributed them to the Rooney's and yet he remains in their employ on their "Official" publication?

Would you keep a person that defamed you in such a way on staff for your official publication if you had one?

I know I wouldn't.

:coffee:

No, I'm saying that it was PREMATURE for them to report that Arians was going to be fired and for those who couldn't wait for the axe to come down on him to believe the initial story. Then when it turned out that they were, in fact, going to retain him, it left egg on all of their faces. Maybe if they had waited until the official announcement from the team, they may have ended up looking a little bit better, wouldn't you think?

is that so huh ? seems to me YOU were the one to bring it up.... here's your lead of sentence in your very first post in this thread...

Yeah, you just can't and won't accept my answer, yet you want to call me out for not accepting or respecting your answer.

Whatever dude. Cowher's situation isn't even relevant to this conversation anyway and it IS a deflection no matter how much you want to say it isn't.

I'm done with this damn circular argument. The fact of the matter is Arians is going to be on the sideline again next season with the playbook in his hand. The end.

MasterOfPuppets
03-25-2010, 12:42 PM
No, I'm saying that it was PREMATURE for them to report that Arians was going to be fired and for those who couldn't wait for the axe to come down on him to believe the initial story. Then when it turned out that they were, in fact, going to retain him, it left egg on all of their faces. Maybe if they had waited until the official announcement from the team, they may have ended up looking a little bit better, wouldn't you think?

Yeah, you just can't and won't accept my answer, yet you want to call me out for not accepting or respecting your answer.

Whatever dude. Cowher's situation isn't even relevant to this conversation anyway and it IS a deflection no matter how much you want to say it isn't.

I'm done with this damn circular argument. The fact of the matter is Arians is going to be on the sideline again next season with the playbook in his hand. The end.

alrighty then...:toofunny:

bill clinton did not have sex with that woman...:sofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
03-25-2010, 12:58 PM
yet they cut thier fullback and try to lineup TE's and RB's at fullback....:thumbsup:

kirklandrules
03-25-2010, 02:26 PM
In the end, it really doesn't matter who started the rumor or why. We'll never really know because the key individuals that know the truth aren't talking about it. I think we need to argue about the future ... will they find a fullback that can play the roles established by Kreider and Witman? Will BA know how to use a battering ram or more importantly, will BA out-think himself and go with the 3 tightend sets in the redzone or short yardage situations that have failed our running game miserably? Can this guy adapt and learn to respect the best tool of the running game (FB)?

Texasteel
03-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Sorry, maybe that's your view of it, but you're wrong.

No I am not wrong, and it's not just my view, it is what happened. You still can not stand that every source that has a name attached to it is saying that you opinion is wrong. You would much rather believe a source who no one but the writer of the article know who he is. Rooney is lying, Tomlin is lying, but the mystery man is incapable of being wrong. I'll leave you with that opinion and let everyone else make up their own minds.

Prok
03-25-2010, 06:20 PM
It's really all just a big mis-understanding.

After the season ended, i was sooooooo pissed because we lost to those crappy teams and all. See i have this mental telepathy problem. I sent soooo many bad vibes in Pittsburgh's general direction and all of it was sooooo anti-Burce Arians. Seems everybody there got all their wires crossed and it confused Tomlin so much that he fired a couple other assistant coaches who happened to be close while BA was out taking a piss. So basically i miss-fired. My apollogies.

:banging: :banging: :banging:

tony hipchest
03-25-2010, 09:22 PM
Which is what you are saying exactly to? Did he or did he not report that BA was likely to be fired? AND Was the report true, in your opinoin, or not.

I don't understand why you are now pointing a finger at HTG. She only expressed the same opinion that several of us had. An opinion that still looks to be true.he said arians could be fired as soon as today. thats an accurate statement. just as accurate as saying he could not be fired as soon as today. he stated an opinion, not reported a fact. dont get the 2 mixed up.

and please dont act like i was singling out HTG. i simply attributed an accurate quote to her. a quote she had no problem standing up and owning. i respect that. i was more pointing the finger at you and XT, who STILL believe wexell made a false report.

The Rooneys are well within their rights to be displeased with the offense under Arians, and they have said so. They are, after all, the fricking owners of the franchise. But that doesn't mean they were all gung-ho to fire him despite what Laird and others reported. Again, if Rooney or especially Mike Tomlin wanted Arians gone, he would have been gone. The fact that he's still employed speaks for itself. If you want to side with Laird, Wexell, etc., that's fine by me. I do not, which apparently is NOT fine with you. fine by me? i really could care less what you believe. that is your right, and i have no problem respecting other peoples beliefs.

just get your facts straight, dont misconstrue them, or put words in other peoples mouths and dont pass your opinion off as the holy grail of truth and fact, and i wont have nothing to contend. :noidea:

exactly. :thumbsup: i guess kevin colbert is telling the 100% truth when he says that limas sweed is still very much in the steelers plans. :rolleyes:

coachspeak and ownerspeak should not be taken as gospel. its the way of the business.

Texasteel
03-26-2010, 05:16 AM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest;790067]he said arians could be fired as soon as today. thats an accurate statement. just as accurate as saying he could not be fired as soon as today. he stated an opinion, not reported a fact. dont get the 2 mixed up.

and please dont act like i was singling out HTG. i simply attributed an accurate quote to her. a quote she had no problem standing up and owning. i respect that. i was more pointing the finger at you and XT, who STILL believe wexell made a false report.

If you want to point a finger at me, then do so. Don't go through HTG. Wexell did, I believe, report that the FO wanted BA gone, and at the very least implied that they where pressuring Tomlin to fire BA. That does not come across as an opinion. Then Rooney said that he did not talk to Tomlin about firing BA.

Don't lecture me about not believing Wexell's report, when so many here will not believe Rooney or anyone else that doesn't fall in line with their opinion.

tony hipchest
03-26-2010, 08:29 PM
If you want to point a finger at me, then do so. Don't go through HTG. Wexell did, I believe, report that the FO wanted BA gone, and at the very least implied that they where pressuring Tomlin to fire BA. That does not come across as an opinion. Then Rooney said that he did not talk to Tomlin about firing BA.

Don't lecture me about not believing Wexell's report, when so many here will not believe Rooney or anyone else that doesn't fall in line with their opinion.

the only ones who have been systematically lectured in this whole ordeal is anyone who believes the media reports had some truth to them.

i can read inbetween the lines and smell the "coachspeak" a mile away. i dont need anyone such as XT to lecture me for what i believe or demand that i admit that i am wrong, especially when they cant prove otherwise.

ANYONE with a background in sports journalism will tell you it is not an owners or coaches responsibility to tell the truth and admit that in most cases, it is their job to cover it up. i get this.

FWIW- pirates ownership says they will be winners. i dont believe that bullshit either. :poop:

if they wanted winners they would field winners just like the last 4 expansion teams have.

Texasteel
03-26-2010, 10:06 PM
the only ones who have been systematically lectured in this whole ordeal is anyone who believes the media reports had some truth to them.

i can read inbetween the lines and smell the "coachspeak" a mile away. i dont need anyone such as XT to lecture me for what i believe or demand that i admit that i am wrong, especially when they cant prove otherwise.

ANYONE with a background in sports journalism will tell you it is not an owners or coaches responsibility to tell the truth and admit that in most cases, it is their job to cover it up. i get this.

FWIW- pirates ownership says they will be winners. i dont believe that bullshit either. :poop:

if they wanted winners they would field winners just like the last 4 expansion teams have.

I don't agree with you that you have been lectured any more than your side of discussion have lectured others. I myself have been call lost and a loser because of my opinion.

You see the owner and the coach as professional lier's, I see them as men the deserve the same courtesy and consideration as an other man. You see the writers in question as infallible crusaders, I see them as men, mostly respectable honest men, that live on information. often from an unnamed source. If that information is poor, they can make mistakes with it.

You chose to believe one, I chose to believe the other. So you tell me. What's the real difference between us?

tony hipchest
03-26-2010, 10:50 PM
I don't agree with you that you have been lectured any more than your side of discussion have lectured others. I myself have been call lost and a loser because of my opinion.

You see the owner and the coach as professional lier's, I see them as men the deserve the same courtesy and consideration as an other man. You see the writers in question as infallible crusaders, I see them as men, mostly respectable honest men, that live on information. often from an unnamed source. If that information is poor, they can make mistakes with it.

You chose to believe one, I chose to believe the other. So you tell me. What's the real difference between us?there is no difference and even if there was, i can respect that. its a shame you have been called a loser for your opinion. i, myself, would never stoop that low towards a respected member such as yourself.

i have been called a communist and anti-american for my opinion on a regular basis around here. :noidea: it doesnt bother me.

as for how i see art rooney II i will lean on HTG's professional experience and opinion having worked around the man. he is a cut throat attorney by nature. while that doesnt suggest he is a professional liar, certain elements of skirting around the "truth" come with the territory. its their trade by nature.

it is worth noting that many people consider all lawyers professional liars.

plus he is a businessman 9a damn good one, i will say), and will do whatever is best for his business (even if that means allowing some "truth & rumors" to be leaked to instill fear and light a fire under his employees ass).

i can understand and relate because i have used the same tactics with my own employees, even though i preach honesty and integrity. i also know you cant let even the best employee become to safe and comfortable and take their job security for granted, especially when they are screwing up.

everybody is replacable. even bill cowher.

Texasteel
03-27-2010, 10:41 AM
I think we both would agree that we can be lied to my just about anyone even if it is unintentional. If it's a politician you can take that X 10. I can count the number of people I completely trust on one hand. How ever, although I understand the need to sometimes remain nameless, I believe I will NORMALLY take the word of someone that is willing to attach their name to a statement over the one that remains nameless.

We all have to chose who we believe, and that will not alway be the same person.