PDA

View Full Version : overtime rule changed for playoffs

pete74
03-23-2010, 03:52 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nflmeetings&prov=ap&type=lgns

SteelerFan091472
03-23-2010, 04:33 PM
I thought the overtime rules were fine the way they were. I think they would've better served to move the kickoff spot back to the 35 yard line.

fansince'76
03-23-2010, 04:38 PM
I thought the overtime rules were fine the way they were.

They were until Peyton Manning was kept off the field in OT against the Chargers in a wild card game season before last and the same thing happened to Lord Favre this past season in the NFCCG. That's what this is really about. :coffee:

Preacher
03-23-2010, 05:21 PM
They were until Peyton Manning was kept off the field in OT against the Chargers in a wild card game season before last and the same thing happened to Lord Favre this past season in the NFCCG. That's what this is really about. :coffee:

Naa. This has been a constant discussion for about 10 years. It has just gained momentum. Honestly, I thought it would have changed 2 or 3 years ago.

Personally, I think the change is ok. I would have rather they ruled out OT fieldgoals all together.

tony hipchest
03-23-2010, 05:27 PM
They were until Peyton Manning was kept off the field in OT against the Chargers in a wild card game season before last and the same thing happened to Lord Favre this past season in the NFCCG. That's what this is really about. :coffee:ironically the vikings are 1 of the 4 teams who voted against it.

i love this rule change. it guarantees our best player who arguably owns one of the most clutch drives in nfl history gets his hands on the ball.

the ravens and bengals obviously saw the importance of not guaranteeing one of the most clutch players in the game, a possession.

i think its funny half the "no" votes came from half of our division. being that we play them 4 times, i hope the rule is extended into the regular season.

pete74
03-23-2010, 05:41 PM
i am glad they changed it and am hoping that they will eventually change it for the regular season as well. a coin toss should not decide the games winner. i love the change

AllD
03-23-2010, 06:18 PM
I think it's about extra money for commercials and concession stand sales to extend the game. I think the rule stinks. It is micro-managing the players and could affect the way the game is played in the final minutes of regulation by taking away some of the drama and suspense. :::BARF:::

Nadroj 20
03-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Im glad its a good rule change and not one that makes the NFL more of a sissy league.

steelreserve
03-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Boo-hoo Colts, that's what this is about. The league is STILL butthurt over that loss to the Chargers, never mind that Indy just didn't play very well for most of the game.

Honestly, if you didn't win the game in regulation, you have no one but yourself to blame and you can STFU and accept that there's going to be some chance involved.

Personally, I think the change is ok. I would have rather they ruled out OT fieldgoals all together.

That's probably the best idea of all. To win, you've got to get the ball into the end zone, not go on some weak-ass 30-yard "drive" to get into FG range, which isn't that difficult to do. That way no one can complain that the team who loses the coin toss doesn't get a chance, and they don't have to turn the rulebook into some convoluted mess to do it.

pete74
03-23-2010, 07:34 PM
i would perfer they did the same as college but that could go on for a long time in a game like last years saints vs arizona game

Galax Steeler
03-24-2010, 04:48 AM
I am ok with it that will make the first team getting the ball think more if they get into field goal range.

stillers4me
03-24-2010, 06:47 AM
Yeah, well just wait until players start getting major injuries in OT because this rule will make it necessary for them to be on the field alot longer, when they are already tired and beat up from the first 60 minutes they played.

As soon as a marqee player gets hurt in OT when the game would have laready been over after a FG, they will start rethinking this. I keep hearing how the fans want this.....I think it's BS.

HometownGal
03-24-2010, 06:55 AM
Me likey. :thumbsup:

CanadianSteel
03-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Has anyone seem mention of what happens if a team scores a safety in OT ?

Just wondering.... as I have not seen this mentioned anywhere in the rule proposal, and you can bet your bottom dollar that it will happen at some point if the rule doesnt account for it.

Edman
03-24-2010, 11:19 AM
A blind nut finds a squirrel every once in a while. Wait...

Finally, an NFL rule change I don't mind.

steelreserve
03-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Has anyone seem mention of what happens if a team scores a safety in OT ?

Just wondering.... as I have not seen this mentioned anywhere in the rule proposal, and you can bet your bottom dollar that it will happen at some point if the rule doesnt account for it.

Any score other than a first-possession FG still ends the game.

CanadianSteel
03-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Any score other than a first-possession FG still ends the game.

Ya that makes sense steelreserve - so a safety essentially ends the game whether on first drive or thereafter.

plenewken
03-24-2010, 01:30 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-nflmeetings&prov=ap&type=lgns

This is a stupid decision, IMO. There shouldn't be different rules between regular season and playoffs.
This being said either we give both teams the same opportunity to win or we stick to the rule we have today. If the team who wins the toss scores a TD, it wins, and the other team doesn't get the ball.
Basically, the NFL ruling committee, once again, openly favors offense over defense.
I'm in favor of the college OT system over this goofy system.
If this is not possible, then leave the rule as it is today, but above all, make the rule for the entire season and not only for the playoffs. <sigh>

Pittsky
03-24-2010, 02:31 PM
i think it would have been better to make the rule first one to 6 points. either 2 FG's or a TD to decide a winner.

i agree with the post above also...why just the playoffs? there's a lot of very important games in the regular season that decide whether or not teams make it into the playoffs...

Shea
03-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Naa. This has been a constant discussion for about 10 years. It has just gained momentum. Honestly, I thought it would have changed 2 or 3 years ago.

I could go for that but it will never fly. We're talking about a potentially endless game when you take into account certain circumstances.

Look at some of the games that are played in extreme winter conditions that often see teams even barely manage to get a FG because of it. It is quite an accomplishment to get those 3 points - TD's would be a dream.

What comes to mind is the Miami game a few years ago when the field was so extremely sloppy at Heinz that a punt literally implanted into the playing field upon impact, and a game, if I remember correctly, ending with the score being 3-0. You rarely can move the ball in such a situation unless you have a strong running game, and even with that you aren't likely going to sniff the endzone.

This will never happen.

But it would be fun to watch them try. :chuckle:

steelerdude15
03-25-2010, 12:38 AM
I say that since it's in the playoffs, might as well add it to the regular season.

fansince'76
03-26-2010, 01:17 PM
NFL - Vilma calls new overtime rule a slight to his team

Miami, March 25 (Reuters) - New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma said on Thursday the NFL’s new rules on overtime are a slight to his team, which advanced to the championship game earlier this year under the old rule.

The Saints beat the Minnesota Vikings 31-28 in sudden-death overtime of the NFC Championship game after winning the coin toss and nailing a 40-yard field goal on their first drive.

“If you read between the lines, we feel like they’re saying well, if Minnesota would have had a possession who knows what would have happened,” said Vilma, who lives in Miami and was playing in a friendly tennis match with world number two Caroline Wozniacki on Thursday at the Sony Ericsson Open.

“We don’t appreciate that. I don’t appreciate it at all.”

Starting next season, the team with the first possession in overtime would have to score a touchdown to end the game. But if they only manage a field goal then the opposing team will get a chance to end the game by scoring a touchdown.

If both teams score field goals on their first possession, or fail to score, then classic sudden-death rules would come into effect, with the next team to score winning the game.

The rule was passed 28-4 by league owners Tuesday.

Vilma, a six-year NFL veteran who has played the last two seasons in New Orleans, said the Saints beat the Vikings fairly and that the NFL’s rule changes were designed to avoid the situation from occurring again.

“Whoever scores wins,” he said. “It’s up to Minnesota to stop us. They didn’t stop us on fourth downs and that’s their problem. I just feel like they’re slighting us, but it is what it is.”

After beating the Vikings, New Orleans went on to defeat the Indianapolis Colts 31-17 to win their first Super Bowl.

Vilma Sounds Off On New OT Rule (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=reu-saintsvilma&prov=reuters&type=lgns)