View Full Version : William Gay, others cash in

mesaSteeler
03-23-2010, 07:01 PM
William Gay, others cash in
March, 23, 2010
Mar 23
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/10889/william-gay-others-cash-in
By James Walker

Pittsburgh Steelers cornerback William Gay received some heat for his struggles in his first year as a full-time starter. But Gay did receive a nice bonus for his efforts.

On Tuesday, the NFL released its list of the top 25 players with performance-based bonuses. Gay earned the fourth-highest amount with $325,607.

The bonuses are based on playing time earned last season compared to their original salary level. Gay played in all 16 games for Pittsburgh and started 14.

Here is the full list of AFC North players who received sizable performance-based bonuses:

4. Gay, Steelers cornerback, $325,607

18. Kyle Cook, Cincinnati Bengals center, $268,122

24. Brandon McDonald, Cleveland Browns cornerback, $248,403

Chidi29
03-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Good for him. Know it was tough sledding last year, but he wasn't as bad as people made him out to be. A lot of the "poor play" was attributed to scheme, which gets magnified ten fold when you lose your playmaker in Troy that makes the LeBeau defense go. It's not like we've always had elite corners up until this season. We haven't had one really since Woodson.

Like his potential and think he's a good fit in LeBeau's scheme. Hope things turn around for him next year.

steelerdave1969
03-23-2010, 08:52 PM
I hope he will use the extra cash to make the trips to Pittsburgh to be with the team during OTA's .. cuz he definitely proved that he needs to be there.

LamarrWoodleysFade
03-23-2010, 09:56 PM
He needs to give it back...

LVSteelersfan
03-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Wow, performance bonuses for lousy performance. I have heard it all now. Kind of like a government worker. Oops. I shouldn't rag on them too much since I am a retired local government worker. : )

steelreserve
03-23-2010, 11:42 PM
I think Parker is more deserving of a performance bonus. He did more to help the team by NOT playing than just about anyone else could've by playing. It was like getting rid of a reverse Pro Bowler.

tony hipchest
03-23-2010, 11:48 PM
I think Parker is more deserving of a performance bonus. He did more to help the team by NOT playing than just about anyone else could've by playing. It was like getting rid of a reverse Pro Bowler.you DO know he's coming back, right?

even the rams let him leave w/o a contract.

he will be like el and foote, except cheaper and w/o the hiatus. :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
03-24-2010, 03:29 AM
you DO know he's coming back, right?

He would look good in Black and Gold for the minimum.:sofunny: NOT

solardave
03-24-2010, 05:45 AM
:sofunny:Wow, performance bonuses for lousy performance. I have heard it all now. Kind of like a government worker. Oops. I shouldn't rag on them too much since I am a retired local government worker. : )

He's going to use part of it to buy a shovel to lean on during games. At least that way he can claim to be a Blue Collar government worker.:hatsoff:

Steelers>NFL
03-24-2010, 08:58 AM
He earned his small raise. Good for him.

steelerdave1969
03-24-2010, 09:11 AM

I hope your right Tony about him coming back for the minimum, but I doubt it. You folks need to remember what he did for us as Steelers fans and the organization. I love Willie and I hope he comes back.. besides.. he cant be much worst than Randel El'

steelreserve
03-24-2010, 11:28 AM

I'm hoping that things like that will tell us that hey, if no one else in the league wants him, maybe they're on to something, and we don't need to hurry up and make him an offer.

If history is any indicator, though, we're not that smart. For some reason, we just LOVE shooting ourselves in the foot with this guy, so we'll probably re-sign him "just because." At this point, I really agree with you; he'll be back because we've trained ourselves to be in the mindset where it happens by default. Every time I think we've finally gotten rid of him, he'll just keep coming back over and over and over. I can honestly see this dragging on for years. If someone killed Parker and dismembered his corpse and set it on fire and buried it in separate parts of the country, he'd still be back as a zombie within days, and we'd sign him to a 3-year contract.

khorton9986
03-24-2010, 03:55 PM
William Gay is horrible

Rick5895
03-25-2010, 06:17 AM
William Gay is horrible

LOL, if the steelers draft the kid from Boise St. Gay will likely be gone.

steelballs
03-25-2010, 07:32 AM
Gay is definitely not the long term solution....he wasn't the solution last year and won't be the solution going forward....hopefully.
William was a band-aid at best last year and the Steelers need to upgrade this position or we'll see more of the same mediocre play from that position.

The fact that he received a performance bonus begs the question FOR WHAT? His performance was horrible week in week out. He consistently got beat and looked lost out there in many instances and can't tackle to save his life.

I miss Bryant McFadden.

steelreserve
03-25-2010, 11:45 AM
The fact that he received a performance bonus begs the question FOR WHAT? His performance was horrible week in week out. He consistently got beat and looked lost out there in many instances and can't tackle to save his life.

I think the NFL-mandated performance bonuses are based on playing time only, not whether you played well. They probably have some formula where if you're a fifth-round draft pick, you're expected to be starting xx% of the time, or playing xx% of the snaps, and if you're playing significantly more than that, they give you a boost.

I guess that's because when you sign your rookie contract as a late-round draft pick, you're signing it with the assumption that you'll be a role player at best, and your pay is in line with that. So if guys are playing a lot more, they get compensated for the extra risk -- it would suck to be putting your career on the line by going out there five times more often than you thought you would, and you're still getting paid peanuts, so in the event of an injury, all the risk is on the player.

If it was performance-based, Gay would be paying US money.

steelreserve
03-25-2010, 03:07 PM
We got to SB40 in spite of Parker (look at his game logs from the playoffs), and then he had one lucky run that helped cover up what was, overall, an abysmal postseason. He cannot run the ball against good teams. Even if he was in peak form -- and I use that term loosely -- from 3 years ago and he offered to play for free, I would not want him back. When he's an injury-prone back whose skills have obviously declined, double no thanks. Not at any price, and not if every other running back on the roster was injured.

Psyychoward86
03-25-2010, 06:23 PM
I miss Bryant McFadden.

McFadden made William Gay look like a shutdown corner last year. Really, he did.

The Duke
03-25-2010, 06:31 PM
McFadden made William Gay look like a shutdown corner last year. Really, he did.

Thank you!

Gay didn't do a perfect job last year, but at least he wasn't getting burned all over the place like BMac. Different system? sure, but it's not like he was ever that good in pittsburgh anyway

Seems kinda smart for the cards to only sign him to a 2 year contract....

steelballs
03-26-2010, 08:43 AM

Wow....BMac must have really sucked in Arizona last year.

I'll admit, I didn't pay much attention to BMacs performance in Arizona, but when he was here in the burg', he was definitely a more physical presence than Gay and a better tackler by far....IMO of course.

I'm pulling for Gay, as it doesn't appear the Steelers are looking to supplant him, but he has to step his game up a notch or three.

steelballs
03-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Thank you!

Gay didn't do a perfect job last year, but at least he wasn't getting burned all over the place like BMac. Different system? sure, but it's not like he was ever that good in pittsburgh anyway

Seems kinda smart for the cards to only sign him to a 2 year contract....

I respect your opinion.....we've all seen players leave the black & gold and flounder elsewhere and this could be another example of this with BMac. I'll take your word on BMac's poor performance w/ Arizona as I didn't see many Card games.

Gay struggled last year, not for a lack of trying or hustle, but he seemed to be confused quite often and his suspect tackling skills and small size worked against him....once again IMO of course.

markymarc
03-26-2010, 09:09 PM
Unfortunately William Gay is not starting CB material. Hopefully depending on who we draft, Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett push Gay back to the nickel spot.