PDA

View Full Version : Goodell wants games in Week 16 & 17 to be divisional matchups

Venom
03-24-2010, 04:40 PM
Roger Goodell in his press conference held today at the conclusion of the annual league meetings said he wants the schedule to be set so in their are divisional matchups during the final two weeks of the season.

"It is still an issue and I spoke to the competition committee about it on Sunday," Goodell said today at the Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes. "One of the key things we're doing in the short term is in our scheduling. We're trying to schedule, potentially, week 17 will be all division opponents. And maybe even a large part of week 16.

"So, we think that will address this to some extent. It will not necessarily eliminate the issue but the competition committee, and I've stressed to them, we need to continue to look at this because it's important to the quality of what we do, the integrity of our game." -----Sounds good to me :thumbsup:

CanadianSteel
03-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Hey this was something I thought about lasy year - something I may actually agree with the comish on...

stillers4me
03-24-2010, 04:47 PM
First smart thing I've ever heard him say. As a matter of fact, last year when teams were throwing games and screwing other teams playoff chances, I said to my husband, "Why don't they make the last couple of games divison games? Then, at least most of the time, everyone is playing to win." The Bengals had every single one of their division games wrapped up at mid point of the seson, which gave them a clear advantage. If we had played the Cinci in one of our last 3 games, our season may have ended differently.

SteelCityMan786
03-24-2010, 07:33 PM
I'll go for it. Whatever allows all 32 teams if possible to have a chance at a playoff spot till the end. Might actually force teams to compete all year long.

Psyychoward86
03-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Might actually force teams to compete all year long.

This is the part of the new possible rule that i like the most. Now teams are less likely to pull out their starters near the end of the year. I think this will make games that much more interesting.

steelerohio
03-24-2010, 07:39 PM
agree with Goodell on this one...

SteelersMongol
03-24-2010, 08:54 PM
I'm sorry I didn't get it. Wouldn't this B only giving the divisional championship games a different name which is week 16 or 17 game & nothing changes?

Psyychoward86
03-24-2010, 09:00 PM
I'm sorry I didn't get it. Wouldn't this B only giving the divisional championship games a different name which is week 16 or 17 game & nothing changes?

Not necessarily, but yeah, it would happen more often. Still, it would make the playoff picture a hell of a lot more interesting. More spoilers, and more underdogs getting in. Im intrigued to say the least.

Who knew Goodell could actually think of a good idea...?

klick81
03-24-2010, 10:14 PM
This Goodell douche may have just come up with a good idea for once.

Galax Steeler
03-25-2010, 05:00 AM
I am all for it could make for some interesting football toward the end of the year.

CantStop85
03-25-2010, 07:24 AM
First smart thing I've ever heard him say. As a matter of fact, last year when teams were throwing games and screwing other teams playoff chances, I said to my husband, "Why don't they make the last couple of games divison games? Then, at least most of the time, everyone is playing to win." The Bengals had every single one of their division games wrapped up at mid point of the seson, which gave them a clear advantage. If we had played the Cinci in one of our last 3 games, our season may have ended differently.

"I'm a Steelers fan, and week 16 and 17 divisional matchups was my idea."

Godfather
03-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Wow...the blind squirrel found a nut for once.

steelax04
03-25-2010, 01:30 PM
"I'm a Steelers fan, and week 16 and 17 divisional matchups was my idea."

"I'm a Bengals fan and my signature image is over 2MB in size..."

May I direct you to Section 3...
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=354

steelerdude15
03-25-2010, 04:09 PM
It would add more punch to the end of the season, I like it.

CantStop85
03-25-2010, 06:32 PM
"I'm a Bengals fan and my signature image is over 2MB in size..."

May I direct you to Section 3...
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=354

Lighten up bro-ski, it's called a joke. No need to get all authoritarian on me. I've been here for almost 5 years; if I need to refer to the forum rules I think I can find them myself. :chuckle:

stillers4me
03-25-2010, 06:46 PM
I knew what you were referring to, CS85....and I :chuckle:

The Duke
03-25-2010, 07:18 PM
I agree with Goodell

Wtf?

steelax04
03-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Lighten up bro-ski, it's called a joke. No need to get all authoritarian on me. I've been here for almost 5 years; if I need to refer to the forum rules I think I can find them myself. :chuckle:

But I can't miss an opportunity to poke a Bengal's fan... :drink:

It wasn't as authoritarian as you took it, my apologies.

St33lersguy
03-26-2010, 03:14 PM
I find this a little unneccessary, the schedule is perfectly fine the way it is now. This topic is not worth discussing at a league meeting.

Sharkissle29
03-29-2010, 07:42 PM
i actually agree with goodell about something????????

Matty™
03-30-2010, 12:16 PM
another few more weeks of MNF here in the UK would never go amiss in all honesty :D