mesaSteeler
03-24-2010, 07:44 PM
Steelers' draft picks
March, 24, 2010
Mar 24
7:30 PM ET
By James Walker
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

After acquiring three compensatory picks this week, the Pittsburgh Steelers are now second in the AFC North with 10 total draft picks.

Here is a breakdown of each selection:

Round 1: No. 18 overall
Round 2: No. 52 overall
Round 3: No. 82 overall
Round 4: No. 116 overall
Round 5: No. 151 overall
Round 5: No. 164 overall
Round 5: No. 166 overall
Round 6: No. 188 overall
Round 7: No. 225 overall
Round 7: No. 242 overall

Can 10 rookies make a veteran-laden team such as the Steelers? It's doubtful.

Therefore, Pittsburgh may find itself in position to move up in the NFL draft to select a player (or players) the team covets. In recent years the Steelers have shown the ability to move up and down the draft.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-24-2010, 08:51 PM
While the Steelers cant trade compensatory picks, they can trade other picks that they do have to move up and maybe get a player they want. I can see 2 trades happening so the total # of picks is 8. The idea of trading down isnt gonna happen unless somebody really comes with an offer that cant be ignored.

TheWarDen86
03-24-2010, 08:54 PM
I'm encouraged by what Reese and the Giants accomplished in the draft a couple years ago. Not to mention that I think we have an even better GM and talent evaluators.

Galax Steeler
03-25-2010, 03:38 AM
The closer it is getting to the draft the more I think we are going to trade up.

SteelMember
03-25-2010, 07:22 AM
While the Steelers cant trade compensatory picks, they can trade other picks that they do have to move up and maybe get a player they want. I can see 2 trades happening so the total # of picks is 8. The idea of trading down isnt gonna happen unless somebody really comes with an offer that cant be ignored.

There is no doubt in my mind that if the Steelers use all these picks, maybe only half would end up making a roster/PS spot. I agree that trading some of our later picks to move up in earlier rounds to field some better talent is the way to go. Realistically though, it wouldn't be a very big jump early, but enough to steal a guy they really like.

According to the trade value chart, using all these could yeild us...

rd4 #116 = 62
rd5 #151 = 31
rd6 #188 = 16
rd7 #225 = 2

Total = 111

About 2-3 spots in the 1st. From #18 to #16.
About 10 spots in the 2nd. From #52 to #42.
About 20 spots in the 3rd, moving us back into the end of the 2nd round. #82 to #62.
or basically equal to the first pick in round 4. Moving us from #116 to #97.

Even trading away all these, we would still end up with 6 picks.

:thumbsup:

vtw8lftr
03-25-2010, 07:51 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that if the Steelers use all these picks, maybe only half would end up making a roster/PS spot. I agree that trading some of our later picks to move up in earlier rounds to field some better talent is the way to go. Realistically though, it wouldn't be a very big jump early, but enough to steal a guy they really like.

According to the trade value chart, using all these could yeild us...

rd4 #116 = 62
rd5 #151 = 31
rd6 #188 = 16
rd7 #225 = 2

Total = 111

About 2-3 spots in the 1st. From #18 to #16.
About 10 spots in the 2nd. From #52 to #42.
About 20 spots in the 3rd, moving us back into the end of the 2nd round. #82 to #62.
or basically equal to the first pick in round 4. Moving us from #116 to #97.

Even trading away all these, we would still end up with 6 picks.

:thumbsup:

But if we are truly sold on someone like Haden and want to trade up with Jacksonville to grab him at 10 then:

#10 = 1300

1st #18 = 900
3rd #82 = 180
5th #151 = 31

We still come up short value wise but those three picks might be enough to lure Jacksonville out of having to draft in the top 10 and have to pay that kind of guaranteed money.

This is what we have left after the trade:

Round 1: No. 10 overall
Round 2: No. 52 overall
Round 4: No. 116 overall
Round 5: No. 164 overall
Round 5: No. 166 overall
Round 6: No. 188 overall
Round 7: No. 225 overall
Round 7: No. 242 overall

If we grabbed Haden in the first and then took the best OL/DL/LB available in the 2nd (Veldheer/Tennant/Jerry/Spikes/Thomas/Troupe) I wouldn't be to upset.

steelerdave1969
03-25-2010, 12:19 PM
If the Steelers are gonna move up the draft board I hope its to get one of the top Offensive Linemen myself.

pete74
03-25-2010, 02:28 PM
If the Steelers are gonna move up the draft board I hope its to get one of the top Offensive Linemen myself.

agreed. we have all these picks but in reality were luckey if we get 2 starters from all of them. i would do whatever i had to in order to grab a good LT or iupati in this draft.

as for what someone posted about our gm, he hasnt drafted so good the last few years. if you want to see a good draft look at what jacksoville did last year. i pray we have a draft like that this year

steelerdave1969
03-27-2010, 06:15 AM
I kind of have to agree somewhat with ya Pete. I still the think that Lawrence Timmons is not the answer to take over for James Farrior next season. Mendenhall had a decent season last year behind a suspect offensive line, but thats another case of "lets just wait n see".

Steely McSmash
03-28-2010, 10:05 PM
the problem with trading the picks is that for the most part they're not really worth that much. I might consider trading 5,6,7 for another 4th rounder.

The other thing to do would be to trade for better picks last year. Trade 7th for 2011 6th etc. Keep it up and pay it forward until it's worth a 3rd rounder or so.

There's potential for a draft pick to make the roster at any position. Multiple spots at OL, CB, RB are possible even.

St33lersguy
03-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Good, let's trade up for someone like Haden, McClain, Earl Thomas, or Dan Williams

Steely McSmash
03-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Couple of trade ideas

Trade 1.18, 4.18 and 5.20 to DAL for 1.27 and 2.27. (Dal only has 6 picks, could use OL help)

Trade 1.18 and 2.20 to Jax for 1.10 (Jags only have 6 picks and might not want to pay 10th pick prices)

Trade 2.20 to CLE for 3.7 and 3.21 (CLE has 12 picks and might want to consolidate to get higher quality players)

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-29-2010, 09:44 PM
What happens to Starks?

He plays LT this season and if the rookie is good enough to start at LT his 2nd year, then he does. More likely, if Colon cant be extended, the rookie starts at RT in his 2nd season and Starks plays LT again.....or is traded.

Then, by the drafted rookie's 3rd season, he can play LT and Starks is either shifted to RT in the final year of his contract, or he is traded away for a bucket of Gatorade.

Ideally, I would love it if we traded our 1st round pick and Starks to trade up and get a better pick and maybe select Bulaga. Then we plan to have Essex play LT, while Urbik, Foster and Legursky battle for the RG spot. That way we are rid of Starks and his contract, but have OT's of Colon, Essex, Bulaga, Hills.

jollyrob68
03-29-2010, 09:51 PM
He plays LT this season and if the rookie is good enough to start at LT his 2nd year, then he does. More likely, if Colon cant be extended, the rookie starts at RT in his 2nd season and Starks plays LT again.....or is traded.

Then, by the drafted rookie's 3rd season, he can play LT and Starks is either shifted to RT in the final year of his contract, or he is traded away for a bucket of Gatorade.

Ideally, I would love it if we traded our 1st round pick and Starks to trade up and get a better pick and maybe select Bulaga. Then we plan to have Essex play LT, while Urbik, Foster and Legursky battle for the RG spot. That way we are rid of Starks and his contract, but have OT's of Colon, Essex, Bulaga, Hills.

I think they're going to have an issue with resigning Colon once The new CBA is in place. He's constantly told he's their best lineman and he's gonna want to be paid that way. Starks played better on the right and is under contract.

pete74
03-30-2010, 04:35 AM
I think they're going to have an issue with resigning Colon once The new CBA is in place. He's constantly told he's their best lineman and he's gonna want to be paid that way. Starks played better on the right and is under contract.

colon is not as good as he thinks. he isnt horrible but there is a reason he hasnt made the pro bowl, obviously he isnt the best. i would like to see colon move to guard if we brought in a tackel who can play. starks isnt great but he did a really good job against jared allen and a few other top ends this past season.

jollyrob68
03-30-2010, 07:23 AM
colon is not as good as he thinks. he isnt horrible but there is a reason he hasnt made the pro bowl, obviously he isnt the best. i would like to see colon move to guard if we brought in a tackel who can play. starks isnt great but he did a really good job against jared allen and a few other top ends this past season.

i agree he's not as good as he thinks he is but they think he's that good and if they dont draft a quality lineman will have to pay the man.