PDA

View Full Version : So Grades out a better Guard for the Steelers?

BKAnthem
03-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Pouncey or Iupati?

jonslow
03-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Iupati, hands down. Pouncey is getting way too much hype. Yes, he's a solid interior lineman, but that's as good as I think he is- solid. He doesn't excel in any particular area.

On the other hand, Iupati is a mauler. He excels in run-blocking and is a very capable pass blocker. He is a true NFL guard with all the potential in the world.

For anyone who disagrees, please, sit down and a watch a few hours of game film. I have, and I really think Iupati has the talent and physicality to be a premier guard in the NFL. Pouncey will end up at center sooner or later anyway.

7willBheaven
03-25-2010, 01:25 PM
I've never watched either guy play...but from what I've learned about them in the off season/etc...i would say Iupati...plus i would think he'd have the edge because that is his natural position...where Pouncey has been playing C more.

jonslow
03-25-2010, 02:38 PM
I wanted to add onto my earlier post with a little clarification-

I do like Pouncey, but in regards to the actual question, I think Iupati is the better guard and much better suited for the Steelers.

They are two very different athletes, and are both good at different things. Pouncey is a little better in pass blocking, but Iupati is head and shoulders above Pouncey in the running game. He has quicker feet than Pouncey and has a much bigger, more muscular build.

I think Iupati can bring some things to the table the Steelers have been missing lately. He has a mean streak and loves to get after it. He can really revitalize a weak running game we've seen in the last couple years. He would make a much bigger impact on the offense than would Pouncey next season IMO.

pete74
03-25-2010, 03:24 PM
I wanted to add onto my earlier post with a little clarification-

I do like Pouncey, but in regards to the actual question, I think Iupati is the better guard and much better suited for the Steelers.

They are two very different athletes, and are both good at different things. Pouncey is a little better in pass blocking, but Iupati is head and shoulders above Pouncey in the running game. He has quicker feet than Pouncey and has a much bigger, more muscular build.

I think Iupati can bring some things to the table the Steelers have been missing lately. He has a mean streak and loves to get after it. He can really revitalize a weak running game we've seen in the last couple years. He would make a much bigger impact on the offense than would Pouncey next season IMO.

agreed and hope we grab him. i also like pouncey but his arms are much shorter

jollyrob68
03-25-2010, 03:44 PM
I like both but want Pouncey. He can play both Gaurd and Center and Center is our weakest spot on the Oline. Iupat I like but he hasn't played with his hand in the dirt and he holds A LOT! We already have that problem. I think Pouncey can step in from day 1 and be the center. Let Hartwig be the swing backup with Foster starting at guard.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-25-2010, 03:54 PM
I still think that #18 is way too early for an interior lineman to be selected. Iupati is the better guard, but is a longer term project than many think. He's big, powerful and raw. Didnt see a lot of great competition in college and struggled when he did see it in the Senior Bowl vs the likes of Dan Williams and Geno Atkins.

Sure Iupati looked good in drills the week of Senior Bowl practice(but not as an OT), which is an indication of his skill set, but when it all was to come together in the game, Bama OG Mike Johnson performed better.

I think Iupati is the better guard, I think he has the bigger upside, I think he will take a year or 2 to progress to starting. But chew on this...........in a combine interview on NFL network, Gerald McCoy of Oklahoma said the toughest O lineman he faced in college was Pouncey.

pete74
03-25-2010, 04:46 PM
i wouldnt mind taking pouncey either. we need a center so i wouldnt be upset. i think if they were both to play gaurd iupati would be the better of the 2 in the long run but pouncey will be a pro bowl center by his 2nd year. personally i would rather trade up for a left tackle

jollyrob68
03-25-2010, 06:29 PM
i wouldnt mind taking pouncey either. we need a center so i wouldnt be upset. i think if they were both to play gaurd iupati would be the better of the 2 in the long run but pouncey will be a pro bowl center by his 2nd year. personally i would rather trade up for a left tackle

If we trade back and get an additional 2nd rounder i'd do it and hope Pouncey is still there. If he's not their will be quality players to pick from and we can get Jared Veldheer in the 2nd. Lets say Pouncey is gone but Jared Odrick,Taylor Mays, Mount Cody and Devin McCourtey or Kareem Jacksson are there its a win win for the Steelers. They now would have 2 2nd rounders and could pick up a CB(if not taken in rd 1, Jared Veldheer Left Tackle and A solid Guard or Nate Allen,Toby Gerhart etc.

They could take Mount Cody in 1st,CB & Brandon Spikes in the second.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-25-2010, 08:36 PM
They could take Mount Cody in 1st,CB & Brandon Spikes in the second.

An overweight NT that can only play 5 downs before getting winded and a LB that runs a 5.1 -40 yard dash.................great idea. :headshake:

mulldog24
03-25-2010, 10:59 PM
I would actually like to have Pouncy over Iupati. I like the idea of having a true center like the old days with guys like Webster,Dawson and Hartings. I watched some video on NFL.com today and Mike Mayock said that he thought Pouncy was a better prospect than Mack,Wood,or Unger from last years draft. I don't know but for what it's worth I think that we have some good guards, one of them plays RT:wink02: and think we could use a true Center and another solid tackle JMHO.:thumbsup:

jollyrob68
03-25-2010, 11:33 PM
:tt03:I would actually like to have Pouncy over Iupati. I like the idea of having a true center like the old days with guys like Webster,Dawson and Hartings. I watched some video on NFL.com today and Mike Mayock said that he thought Pouncy was a better prospect than Mack,Wood,or Unger from last years draft. I don't know but for what it's worth I think that we have some good guards, one of them plays RT:wink02: and think we could use a true Center and another solid tackle JMHO.:thumbsup:

SteelerFanInStl
03-26-2010, 08:56 AM
An overweight NT that can only play 5 downs before getting winded and a LB that runs a 5.1 -40 yard dash.................great idea. :headshake:

:rofl: It seems that jollyrob is just full of great ideas. If he was running the Steelers we'd have a fat and out of shape NT, a slow ILB that can't get to the sideline and an old choke artist at QB. :toofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-26-2010, 11:16 AM
:rofl: It seems that jollyrob is just full of great ideas. If he was running the Steelers we'd have a fat and out of shape NT, a slow ILB that can't get to the sideline and an old choke artist at QB. :toofunny:

Is somebody advocating a trade for Fran Tarkenton??? Man, the offseason brings out all kinds of stuff. :doh:

jollyrob68
03-26-2010, 02:55 PM

Let get this straight. I dont want Cody at 18 and if you look at my post you will see I like Dan Williams as a Nt and said in the past The Steelers wouldnt take Cody because the already have an issue with Hamptons weight.
What I'm saying is if they traded back and picked up an additional 2nd rounder then in the first they'd have options. If you listen to what Jamie Dukes has said Cody is a True Power PIg(his words) thats hard to find in the 34 D and If the Steelers dont take him then San Diego will.
As Far as Spikes He's a true 34 ILB and yes I think he's slow but he's also a playmaker. I wasn't on the Spikes bandwagon but if you had an additional 2nd rounder wouldn't you take one of the better ILB coming out of college? Spikes would of been considered a 1st rounder if it wasnt for the eye gauging incident. I dont care if they take him or not its an option.

jollyrob68
03-26-2010, 03:08 PM
I recall some people on this board and others drooling for Micah Johnson and he was stiff as a board at the combine. The announcers said the same thing. I give him credit for running the 40 to show his recovery from the ACL tear.

jollyrob68
03-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl
It seems that jollyrob is just full of great ideas. If he was running the Steelers we'd have a fat and out of shape NT, a slow ILB that can't get to the sideline.

We already do! Casey Hampton and James Farrior. Hampton is only a 2 down NT and Farriors age has caught up to him. We brought back foote and he's no gem in coverage but he provides depth.

pete74
03-26-2010, 04:48 PM

i agree about spikes but i bet cody will be the best run stuffing nt in a few years and we will be seeing him in the pro bowl. hampton is another 2 down nt coming out of college with a weight problem

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-27-2010, 12:02 PM
i agree about spikes but i bet cody will be the best run stuffing nt in a few years and we will be seeing him in the pro bowl. hampton is another 2 down nt coming out of college with a weight problem

I still thinks Spikes can be productive, but the confirmation of his lack of speed puts him likely in the late 2nd or 3rd round.

Hampton never had a weight problem coming out of college. THAT is pure misinformation. 6-1 and 320lbs and a solid workman at Texas.

At Texas, Casey started 37 consecutive games for the University of Texas and became the first defensive lineman to lead the Longhorns in tackles for two consecutive seasons, registering 9.5 sacks, 54 stops for losses, 56 quarterback pressures, and nine fumbles.

The Steelers drafted Casey Hampton in the first round (2001) with hopes that his size, strength, and workmanlike attitude would give them the 3-4 nose tackle they had been lacking since the departure of Joel Steed.

http://pit.scout.com/a.z?s=68&p=8&c=1&nid=1114601

Hampton was 320 and strong, while Cody was 355-370, fat and weak. I honestly think Cody will be a big body guy with less impact than Gabe Watson. If you watched the Senior Bowl week and game, he looked sluggish and made little impact. Same with the BCS game vs. Texas. I sure hope somebody else takes Cody.

SteelerFanInStl
03-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl
It seems that jollyrob is just full of great ideas. If he was running the Steelers we'd have a fat and out of shape NT, a slow ILB that can't get to the sideline.

We already do! Casey Hampton and James Farrior. Hampton is only a 2 down NT and Farriors age has caught up to him. We brought back foote and he's no gem in coverage but he provides depth.

Both of whom have multiple Pro Bowls and are veterans. Big difference between them and rookies. Casey is also one of the strongest players in the NFL. Cody is just fat with huge man boobs. I'd rather wait and take a guy like Torell Troup any day.

SteelerFanInStl
03-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Hampton never had a weight problem coming out of college. THAT is pure misinformation. 6-1 and 320lbs and a solid workman at Texas.

At Texas, Casey started 37 consecutive games for the University of Texas and became the first defensive lineman to lead the Longhorns in tackles for two consecutive seasons, registering 9.5 sacks, 54 stops for losses, 56 quarterback pressures, and nine fumbles.

The Steelers drafted Casey Hampton in the first round (2001) with hopes that his size, strength, and workmanlike attitude would give them the 3-4 nose tackle they had been lacking since the departure of Joel Steed.

Hampton was 320 and strong, while Cody was 355-370, fat and weak. I honestly think Cody will be a big body guy with less impact than Gabe Watson. If you watched the Senior Bowl week and game, he looked sluggish and made little impact. Same with the BCS game vs. Texas. I sure hope somebody else takes Cody.

Exactly!

pete74
03-27-2010, 03:50 PM
I still thinks Spikes can be productive, but the confirmation of his lack of speed puts him likely in the late 2nd or 3rd round.

i will find this post in a year or 2 and bring it back up. honestly i dont know what hampton weighed in college but he definatly had weight and condition problems his entire nfl carear. cody is 345 right now and hampton was heavier then that coming into training camp many times. how many times did cower go off on hampton because he couldnt do the runs in camp? hampton is a great nt and i think cody will be just as good. not 1 single running back has ever ran for 100 yards on alabama since cody started. he is the best run stopper hands down.

SteelerFanInStl
03-27-2010, 10:12 PM
i will find this post in a year or 2 and bring it back up. honestly i dont know what hampton weighed in college but he definatly had weight and condition problems his entire nfl carear. cody is 345 right now and hampton was heavier then that coming into training camp many times. how many times did cower go off on hampton because he couldnt do the runs in camp? hampton is a great nt and i think cody will be just as good. not 1 single running back has ever ran for 100 yards on alabama since cody started. he is the best run stopper hands down.

Have you seen pictures of Hampton with his shirt off? He's very solid. Compare that to Cody who's all flab bouncing all over the place. Cody only benched 22 times at his pro day also. Grats to him for getting 2 more reps than 170 lb Dexter McCluster. :toofunny:

St33lersguy
03-27-2010, 10:35 PM
I think Iupati because most guys who play a different position from the position they've played for years often play poorly. Just think of Sean Gahan converting from guard to center.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-28-2010, 11:04 PM
i will find this post in a year or 2 and bring it back up. honestly i dont know what hampton weighed in college but he definatly had weight and condition problems his entire nfl carear.

Hampton was runner up to Larry Allen in the NFL strongest man competition in 2007 with 39 reps at 225lbs. You cant say the guy has conditioning problems, because he definately knows where the weight room is.

At the NFL skills competition, which aired Monday but was held before the Pro Bowl, Hampton bench pressed 225 39 times, good for second place behind defending champion Larry Allen. Hampton outlasted John Henderson, Jamaal Williams and a slew of other beefy linemen, but Allen managed to edge Hampton with a last gasp 40th press.

What's most impressive about Hampton's 39 reps is that it came just a couple of weeks after the season ended. You'll occasionally hear about a prospect bench pressing 43 or 44 reps at the NFL combine, but that comes after weeks of training--this was Hampton on just another normal week of his offseason. And it's five better than he did when he was the NFL combine years ago

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2007/02/12/casey-hampton-bench-presses-225-like-its-a-toothpick/

Hampton again benched 34 reps at the NFL Combine....while Cody declined benching at the combine and instead put up 22 reps at his pro day. Hampton has worked his entire career, while Cody spends more time at Burger King than the weight room.

Bring it up in 2 years. I've been wrong before, but I bet Cody doesnt turn out to be any better than Gabe Watson.

Steely McSmash
03-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Just for reference here are the sizes of some prototypical NT as they entered the draft:

Casey Hampton – 6-1, 314
VinceWilfork 6-1, 323
Haloti Ngata 6-4, 338

pete74
03-29-2010, 04:42 AM
QUOTE=SteelerFanInStl;790750]Have you seen pictures of Hampton with his shirt off? He's very solid. Compare that to Cody who's all flab bouncing all over the place. Cody only benched 22 times at his pro day also. Grats to him for getting 2 more reps than 170 lb Dexter McCluster. :toofunny:[/QUOTE]

oh yea, very solid

SteelerFanInStl
03-29-2010, 10:39 AM
QUOTE=SteelerFanInStl;790750]Have you seen pictures of Hampton with his shirt off? He's very solid. Compare that to Cody who's all flab bouncing all over the place. Cody only benched 22 times at his pro day also. Grats to him for getting 2 more reps than 170 lb Dexter McCluster. :toofunny:

oh yea, very solid[/QUOTE]

That's solid, especially compared to Cody. Have you watched Cody run? He's got man boobs and gut flopping all over the place. Cody has never seen a weight room and Big Snack is one of the strongest players in the NFL. If you can't tell the difference between the two then you're just plain clueless.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-29-2010, 11:03 AM
That's solid, especially compared to Cody. Have you watched Cody run? He's got man boobs and gut flopping all over the place. Cody has never seen a weight room and Big Snack is one of the strongest players in the NFL. If you can't tell the difference between the two then you're just plain clueless.

Agreed. Cody's Moobs have breasts on them....where in that Hampton picture he is only sporting A-cup material.

Still, the man's physique is only a minor part of the picture to me. Hampton is a 5 time pro bowler, multiple super bowl winner and proven NFL NT that gets upfield and is disruptive in the run game.

Cody on the other hand I watched in 3-4 games this year and just clogs up the LOS, without getting that much of an upfield push against College Linemen....then he needs to come out after 3 snaps because he is winded. From what I saw, Cam Thomas, Dan Williams, Mike Neal, Jared Odrick were much more impressive than Cody at the senior bowl. I think Cody just screams bust.

GrizzlyDean
03-29-2010, 06:45 PM
No way to compare Cody to Hampton as of now. We can talk about this 5 years from now. Cody has a chance to be very good but as of now he is no Hampton.