PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin expecting big jump from Mendenhall

mesaSteeler
03-25-2010, 05:43 PM
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/03/25/tomlin-expecting-big-jump-from-mendenhall/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

Tomlin expecting big jump from Mendenhall
March 25th, 2010

Rashard Mendenhall rushed for 1,108 yards and seven touchdowns in 2009. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin made it clear to the former first-round pick that he expects him to build on what Mendenhall did in his second NFL season.

“He’s a very talented guy,” Tomlin said this week at the NFL owners meetings. “I think he’s capable of much more to be quite honest with you. I’ve been pretty clear with him in term of that with our exit interview.”

Mendenhall has clearly established himself as the Steelers’ feature back. What is less clear is how the Steelers’ situation at running back shakes out behind Mendenhall.

Mewelde Moore is their top backup right now -- he excelled when pressed into a starting role in 2008 because of injuries to Willie Parker -- but the Steelers will almost certainly add another back either in free agency or the draft.

That is especially true since the Steelers are keen on creating competition across the board, something they have done with free-agent signings such as Larry Foote, Antwaan Randle El and Will Allen.

Parker, who has not generated much interest on the free agent market, could return to the team for which he became a star before injuries slowed him down.

The Steelers, though, may be looking for a power back to add to their stable of runners. LeGarrette Blount of Oregon will visit the team next week, and he is 6-01/2 and 241 pounds.

A power back could help the Steelers improve on their short-yardage running in 2010.

But the 5-10, 225-pound Mendenhall could also emerge as that short-yardage hammer since he is still tapping into his enormous potential.

“He’s a guy that’s on the rise,” Tomlin said, “and I think he needs to have that mentality. Looking for him to do great things for us.”

Psyychoward86
03-25-2010, 06:03 PM
LeGarrette Blount of Oregon will visit the team next week, and he is 6-01/2 and 241 pounds.

Times are changing in Pittsburgh :jawdrop:

Kaeg
03-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Is this a sign of not having faith in Frank Summers? I'd throw Redman's name in there too, but I know the kind of reaction I'd get. :chuckle:

fansince'76
03-25-2010, 06:20 PM
I'd throw Redman's name in there too, but I know the kind of reaction I'd get. :chuckle:

But does Blount have suddenness and glide? That's the real question. :scratchchin:

:laughing:

Texasteel
03-25-2010, 06:24 PM
But does Blount have suddenness and glide? That's the real question. :scratchchin:

:laughing:

I have suddenness and glide. I just can't run for shit.

steelreserve
03-26-2010, 01:57 AM
It'd be nice if Summers turned out to be worth anything. I mean, come on, he ought to at least be able to be the third-stringer.

Galax Steeler
03-26-2010, 03:32 AM
I would say Mendenhall will have alot better numbers this year. He finally got a fell for the game last year and he knows what it is about. I just can't wait for the season to get here but I guess I better set back and enjoy the summer first.

Steelers>NFL
03-26-2010, 06:50 AM
I would say Mendenhall will have alot better numbers this year. He finally got a fell for the game last year and he knows what it is about. I just can't wait for the season to get here but I guess I better set back and enjoy the summer first.
I agree. The sky is the limit for this kid. Talent wise, he can take it to the next level.
All comes down to the line blocking for him. But he does seem to make something out of nothing. Which was Parker's drawback.

jonslow
03-26-2010, 09:54 AM
I agree. The sky is the limit for this kid. Talent wise, he can take it to the next level.
All comes down to the line blocking for him. But he does seem to make something out of nothing. Which was Parker's drawback.

Agreed. Mendenhall has a really high ceiling. I'd really like to see him start bowling defenders over instead of spinning all the time, and he needs to work on ball security, but he's got potential to be a pro-bowl back. All the more reason to draft Iupati in the first. :thumbsup:

Cinnjerm
03-26-2010, 09:55 AM

To me it's already been taken to the next level. I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he finish just outside of the top ten (of RBs). I think even last year if he had started the entire season there's a good chance he would've had closer to 1600 yards ( if not more).

LamarrWoodleysFade
03-26-2010, 10:17 AM
He needs to nix that spin move, though. That has me just waiting for him to fumble or get popped something serious.

Overall, I agree, this kid will be beast for years to come...

JEFF4i
03-26-2010, 06:17 PM
I can't wait to see Mendy again, possibly my favorite Steeler.

pete74
03-26-2010, 06:28 PM
hopefully he picks it up next season and emerges as a top back.

CanadianSteel
03-26-2010, 08:07 PM
He needs to nix that spin move, though. That has me just waiting for him to fumble or get popped something serious.

Overall, I agree, this kid will be beast for years to come...

I wouold say the spin move is ok in certain situations, but I agree it should not be his 'go to move" every time he faces a defender head on.... which seems to be the case. Also agree its a fumble or pop waiting to happen when always spin....

He fast and strong and can push the pile if he puts his mind to it....

Has he ever gotten like 25 plus carries in a game .... probably but not common.

Go Rushhard...

markymarc
03-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Rashard Mendenhall takes it to the superstar level in 2010. I am still amazed we were able to get him at 1.23 in 2008. That would be nice if we could pick up Blount or Gerhart in the draft because we will need to get a backup RB and keep Moore as our 3rd down back.

steelerdave1969
03-27-2010, 06:00 AM
Rashard really had me puzzled at first in the first part of his career, I thought he ran too straight up and just ran into other peoples backs. But it seems he has improved on those and maybe he will be better than I once thought of him. I think the Steelers will give everyone every chance to get the backup job behind him, but it wouldnt surprise me if the get a RB in the first 3 or so rounds. I love Willie Parker, but I am kind of to the point of not knowing what he has left for our team.

solardave
03-27-2010, 07:06 AM
It'd be nice if Summers turned out to be worth anything. I mean, come on, he ought to at least be able to be the third-stringer.

I thought they called him "Frank the Tank". Maybe that's what he's done TANKED! I sure hope not too, it would be nice if he can produce.

MACH1
03-28-2010, 02:40 AM
To me it's already been taken to the next level. I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he finish just outside of the top ten (of RBs). I think even last year if he had started the entire season there's a good chance he would've had closer to 1600 yards ( if not more).

Excuse me if I'm wrong, wouldn't he be closer to a 2000 yd rusher if we ran the ball consistently? Not just maybe for the first half of a game.

pete74
03-28-2010, 04:57 AM
Excuse me if I'm wrong, wouldn't he be closer to a 2000 yd rusher if we ran the ball consistently? Not just maybe for the first half of a game.

he had 1108. a 4.6 average. he would of needed alot of carries to get to 2000 and that would of probably hurt him in the long run. he would of needed another 185 carries if he continued to get 4.6ypc and that would put him at 446 carries for the year. that kind of workload would really tear him down and shorten his carear

Galax Steeler
03-28-2010, 06:25 AM
Agreed. Mendenhall has a really high ceiling. I'd really like to see him start bowling defenders over instead of spinning all the time, and he needs to work on ball security, but he's got potential to be a pro-bowl back. All the more reason to draft Iupati in the first. :thumbsup:

Toward the end of the year and especially the last game against the Dolphins he was not using that spin move like he had been. I didn't even notice him doing it one time against the Dolphins. Hopefully that is a thing of the past and he can start running over the defenders.

pete74
03-28-2010, 09:30 AM

i would love to have iupati. he so much reminds me of feneca and with iupati i see mendenhall running behind for 1500 yards every season

OX1947
03-28-2010, 12:56 PM
With this much talent and depth now. If Big Ben's thing comes out to be bullcrap, which it looks to be, Tomlin has to look at the Denver Broncos of 1998 as a blueprint on how to make this offense roll. You have a superstar QB, and a stud running back. USE IT. Use the run to pass and all you will see is wide open passing lanes. Mendy is a rushing title material. He is that good. AND, 500 yards receiving type as well. A 1400 yard, 500 receiving season isn't asking too much of this guy. He is that good.