PDA

View Full Version : Steelers May Add a True Fullback

mesaSteeler
03-25-2010, 06:52 PM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/03/25/steelers-may-add-a-true-fullback/
Steelers May Add a True Fullback
3/25/2010 7:51 AM ET By JJ Cooper

Dan KreiderSteelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has made it clear that the thinks a pure fullback is about as useful in the modern NFL as a Wing-T quarterback.

But apparently Arians will not be making the final decision on a fullback going forward. Mike Tomlin said recently that the Steelers would look to add a true Dan Kreider-type fullback as the team tries to re-emphasize the run. According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers recently attempted to sign Rolly Lumbala, a blocking fullback who played last year with the Canadian Football League's BC Lions. Lumbala ended up signing with the Dolphins.

If Pittsburgh does sign a fullback, it likely won't make a whole lot of difference for their usual sets -- Pittsburgh's depth at wide receiver ensures that the Steelers will use plenty of three wide receiver formations. But with a No. 2 tight end (Matt Spaeth) who is a poor blocker, a true lead blocker would help out Rashard Mendenhall in running situations. It would be even more important in goal-line situations where a fullback is a near necessity.

There's no true fullback on the Steelers' current roster. Tank Summers, the team's Opening Day fullback in 2009, is more of a big tailback who is trying to learn the position while David Johnson and Sean McHugh are both tight ends who can play fullback in a pinch.

The bad news is that this is not a good year for true blocking fullbacks in the draft, and there are very few options among the free agent class -- Kreider and Cincinnati's Jeremi Johnson are probably the two best. But fullbacks are such an undervalued part of an NFL offense that Pittsburgh should be able to find a blocking back to take a look at in the late rounds of the draft or among undrafted free agents. And the waiver wire during training camp will also give Pittsburgh some options.

Psyychoward86
03-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Bruce Arians has made it clear that the thinks a pure fullback is about as useful in the modern NFL as a Wing-T quarterback.

wooooow stuff like this makes me want to punch a random kid in the face.

Chidi29
03-25-2010, 07:46 PM
wooooow stuff like this makes me want to punch a random kid in the face.

Of course, David Johnson was used a good bit at fullback the second half of the season. Which shows that if we can do so, we'll use a fullback regardless of what Arians has said about the issue in the past.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-25-2010, 08:38 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. Reminds me of Cleveland 10 years ago when they abandoned the FB and the closest guy on the roster was R. J. Bowers. :doh:

Bus36RollsUrlacher
03-25-2010, 09:11 PM

Dan KreiderSteelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has made it clear that the thinks a pure fullback is about as useful in the modern NFL as a Wing-T quarterback.

Yep - the Wing-T involves pounding the ball down the opponent's throat with 3 running backs, and testing the stamina of a defense to keep getting up down after down, and seeing them dragging their butts to the line in the fourth quarter. It involves controlling the clock and the tempo of the game and daring safeties to get closer to the line of scrimmage to stop the run and then bite on a play-action fake because they've been getting the crap kicked out of them down after down...

Sorry - I must have been dreaming... or at least hoping that we run the ball more this year!

KeiselPower99
03-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Resign Dan Kreider!!!!

Prok
03-25-2010, 10:34 PM
just draft Cody and throw him in there at the goaline

Yeah this. lol

My advice to anyone thinking that the FB we do get will contribute blocking-wise: If he doesn't show BA he can catch, he's screwed. lol

LVSteelersfan
03-25-2010, 11:30 PM
I am rooting for Frank Summers but that is mostly because I am a UNLV alumni and want someone from that awful college team to succeed in the NFL. Only a few players from UNLV have had success in the NFL. Randall Cunningham and Ickie Woods come to mind.

tony hipchest
03-25-2010, 11:56 PM
...and his name is tim tebow.

tony hipchest
03-26-2010, 12:01 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. Reminds me of Cleveland 10 years ago when they abandoned the FB and the closest guy on the roster was R. J. Bowers. :doh:that'll happen in a "blue moon".

1NyK3df0xaw

im sorry... i thought you said RJ Bowzer. :doh:

Cmdurand21
03-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Interesting that the Dolphins signed a FB when they have one of the best in the league on their roster.. Our very own Lousaka Polite.

Psyychoward86
03-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Interesting that the Dolphins signed a FB when they have one of the best in the league on their roster.. Our very own Lousaka Polite.

yeah seriously lol. What, the best 3rd and short converting FB aint good enough for them? :chuckle:

Tone's Toes
03-26-2010, 12:49 AM
Can't wait to add one again. He can do what most FB's do here since BA showed up and that's stand on the side lines in street clothes doing nothing and drinking Gatorade for 3-4 hours.

steelerdude15
03-26-2010, 01:17 AM
That's good news IMO. I like that they want to run the ball more this upcoming season, well it seems now. I really do hope they run the ball more and maybe get some running plays for the FB if we get one. Would be great for goal line plays too.

Galax Steeler
03-26-2010, 04:37 AM
If we are going to run the ball more we need to beef up the offensive line and get the push off of the ball. A fullback will help if we decide to run the ball but we need to keep the defenders out of the backfield and give our backs time to find a hole.

tube517
03-26-2010, 08:57 AM
I'd like to see Tank succeed. Maybe the new OL coach could work with him. I'd like to see him pound the ball too.

I am rooting for Frank Summers but that is mostly because I am a UNLV alumni and want someone from that awful college team to succeed in the NFL. Only a few players from UNLV have had success in the NFL. Randall Cunningham and Ickie Woods come to mind.

jonslow
03-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Yep - the Wing-T involves pounding the ball down the opponent's throat with 3 running backs, and testing the stamina of a defense to keep getting up down after down, and seeing them dragging their butts to the line in the fourth quarter. It involves controlling the clock and the tempo of the game and daring safeties to get closer to the line of scrimmage to stop the run and then bite on a play-action fake because they've been getting the crap kicked out of them down after down...

You hit the nail on the head, my friend. Played the Wing-T in high school... Not a fan of the offense, but I'm a big fan of the mentality.

If we're looking at a true fullback, I'd be ecstatic if we drafted John Conner.

http://www.sidelinescouting.net/rankings/fb.shtml#conner

I scouted fullbacks for the site all year and I was pumped when Conner was invited to the Senior Bowl. He's my favorite short-yardage back in the draft class. He's a true fullback in every aspect (with a few added perks).

There's a reason they call him "the Terminator," and it's not just because of his last name. This guy is a devastating lead blocker. I wouldn't even mind using a fifth-round comp. pick on him.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-26-2010, 11:22 AM
There's a reason they call him "the Terminator," and it's not just because of his last name. This guy is a devastating lead blocker. I wouldn't even mind using a fifth-round comp. pick on him.

If his name was Tito Puentes, there is no way he still gets nicnamed the terminator. Again.......I'll beleve it when I see it. This type of offense does not want or use a true FB.

I was all for Kettani, Fiametta or Ashaph Schwap last year as true blockers at FB, but know that the current offense wants H-backs like we got in David Johnson. Still doubtful that it happens this year.

jonslow
03-26-2010, 11:28 AM
If his name was Tito Puentes, there is no way he still gets nicnamed the terminator. Again.......I'll beleve it when I see it. This type of offense does not want or use a true FB.

How do you know we don't want a true fullback? We sure as hell do need one. Did you even see our short-yardage game last year? Forget goal line offense... We need someone to open holes, plain and simple. If I watch us stall out at the goal line again every game because Big Ben takes sacks on first and second down because our short-yardage game wasn't good enough to pound it in, I'll dig through this thread and re-post this. I want to see us get back to hard-nose, punch-you-in-the-face football, and we need a ground game to do that. We need a true fullback to open holes for a young runningback with a lot of potential.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-26-2010, 12:01 PM
How do you know we don't want a true fullback? We sure as hell do need one. Did you even see our short-yardage game last year? Forget goal line offense... We need someone to open holes, plain and simple. If I watch us stall out at the goal line again every game because Big Ben takes sacks on first and second down because our short-yardage game wasn't good enough to pound it in, I'll dig through this thread and re-post this. I want to see us get back to hard-nose, punch-you-in-the-face football, and we need a ground game to do that. We need a true fullback to open holes for a young runningback with a lot of potential.

I have been HATING on Carey Davis for 3 years now on this board. I despise the fact that we devalued the FB and let Kreider go, instead to replace him with a 225lb useless lead blocker.

I still have the memory of Kreider laying a devastating lead block in the 2007 preseason at the HOF game in Canton, where Al Michaels noted that that block has to be recognized as a positive for keeping a blocking FB. It was on a Parker TD.

Its been an issue for 3 seasons now and most of us recognize that. I appreciate your insight on draft related topics, but your presence here the past 3 months to promote your internet draft site is one thing. Your lack of knowledge that the Steelers run game has suffered for the past 3 seasons because the lack of a FB and lack of adding a FB...is another thing.

Dino 6 Rings
03-26-2010, 12:51 PM
...and his name is tim tebow.

YEAH!!!!

Fire Haley
03-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Tomlin is just pulling your chains.

He was laughing as he said it.

Dino 6 Rings
03-26-2010, 12:55 PM
We're going to take Tebow?

That's the Rumor I'm starting

jonslow
03-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Its been an issue for 3 seasons now and most of us recognize that. I appreciate your insight on draft related topics, but your presence here the past 3 months to promote your internet draft site is one thing. Your lack of knowledge that the Steelers run game has suffered for the past 3 seasons because the lack of a FB and lack of adding a FB...is another thing.

Whoah whoah... My presence here is multi-faceted. I am- and always have been- a die-hard Steelers fan. I have watched every game this team has played since I was seven years old. This happens to be the only forum I belong to (my colleagues on the site belong to others).

But I'm going to brush that childish comment off, because if you happened to read more than a few of my posts, you'd know I have a lot more to offer than draft insight. I never once said the Steelers' running game has suffered because of the lack of a true fullback. I simply said it would help to have a true fullback (like Kreider) to open holes for a young runningback with a lot of talent.

How about we keep the personal insults out of these threads, eh?

markymarc
03-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Carey Davis and Frank Summers can't be happy. It's okay because even if Tomlin and Colbert pick up a "true" FB, Bruce Arians will laugh behind their backs and make sure the FB only sees a handful of plays on game day!

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Whoah whoah... My presence here is multi-faceted. I am- and always have been- a die-hard Steelers fan. I have watched every game this team has played since I was seven years old. This happens to be the only forum I belong to (my colleagues on the site belong to others).

But I'm going to brush that childish comment off, because if you happened to read more than a few of my posts, you'd know I have a lot more to offer than draft insight. I never once said the Steelers' running game has suffered because of the lack of a true fullback. I simply said it would help to have a true fullback (like Kreider) to open holes for a young runningback with a lot of talent.

How about we keep the personal insults out of these threads, eh?

I'm sorry if I offended you. But please dont question if I "even saw our short yardage offense this year" I have been watching Steeler games for 31 years and I record the game every week on my DVR and go back and rewatch....at at times break down plays that worked and didnt.

I am fully aware of our short yardage offense and the concepts of blocking, reach blocking, combination blocks and the occasional zone blocking schemes that are used.

I have always been a proponent of a FB, but knew 3years ago that this offensive scheme would eliminate the need for a FB and because of it, suffer in short yardage. So again, I will believe it when I see it that this offense begins to use a FB again.

Again, sorry if I offended you by questioning your motives of pimping your site, or knowing of the offensive philosophy change 3 years ago. But honestly, your questioning me "if I even saw our short yardage offense" was rather condescending and it irked me.

Texasteel
03-27-2010, 01:40 PM
That's the Rumor I'm starting

Actually, I have seen that rumor before, and have seen it in one mock.

JEFF4i
03-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Imagine what Mendy could do with a FB lead blocking. *sigh*

Godfather
03-27-2010, 03:58 PM
How about JOHN KUHN?

ricardisimo
03-27-2010, 04:59 PM
that'll happen in a "blue moon".

1NyK3df0xaw

im sorry... i thought you said RJ Bowzer. :doh:

Ah, Bowser and a young Billy Crystal... those were the days. "Goodnight, sweetheart, well it's time to go..."

SMR
03-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Ah, Bowser and a young Billy Crystal... those were the days. "Goodnight, sweetheart, well it's time to go..."

:rofl:

those were the days indeed!

St33lersguy
03-27-2010, 10:38 PM

Why haven't the steelers fired this blithering idiot yet?

ricardisimo
03-27-2010, 11:40 PM
Why haven't the steelers fired this blithering idiot yet?

Because he's not a blithering idiot. He's just not that great either.

welder4pit
03-28-2010, 02:47 PM
I agree with everything you said. And would like to add that being able to run the ball in the 4th qtr. with a lead would be nice too.

Prok
03-28-2010, 08:06 PM
I agree with everything you said. And would like to add that being able to run the ball in the 4th qtr. with a lead would be nice too.

See i don't really mind passing the ball with a lead. Especially with Ben as our QB.

My whole problem with our offense is some of the wierd formations and how opposing defenses attack it. Seems like alot of times they get a free rusher at Ben and completely blow up some running plays in the back-field before they even get the chance to develop imo.

And i don't think anyone can deny that as prolific as the offense is at times, there are just as many times where it seems like a comedy of errors. And it's quite frustrating to alot of us fans to be honest.

I think BA would be a good QB coach. But his game-planning and situational play-calling as an OC lacks, to say the least.

Psyychoward86
03-28-2010, 09:45 PM
I think BA would be a good QB coach. But his game-planning and situational play-calling as an OC lacks, to say the least.

He is a good QB Coach, look what he did for Peyton Manning and Ben. What i would've liked to see was Bruce getting demoted to QB Coach, and us picking up a new offensive coordinator, but too late now.

Prok
03-28-2010, 09:52 PM
He is a good QB Coach, look what he did for Peyton Manning and Ben. What i would've liked to see was Bruce getting demoted to QB Coach, and us picking up a new offensive coordinator, but too late now.

Totally agree. Not to cry over spilt milk i guess...

But i THINK (i have no way of confirming, just my personal opinion) that BA is more of an en-abler to Ben. And in my view Ben needs an OC that is willing to clash with him idea-wise and be a better teacher of game-planning for different defenses.

That's not to say that we can't win championships with Ben and BA. I'd just hope that our D stays at or near the top of the league and Ben can get chances to run no-huddle to pull out some wins for us. It's pretty much been our formula for success as of late IMO.

MACH1
03-28-2010, 10:12 PM
Imagine what Mendy could do with a FB lead blocking. *sigh*

But Ben doesn't get paid 107 Mil to hand the ball off. :rolleyes:

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-28-2010, 10:49 PM
How about JOHN KUHN?

:rofl: Now that is a GREAT idea!!! His mere presence would improve the Steelers image immensely. Didnt he invent a cure for global warming that is up for the Nobel prize??

G.F........I think you have the answer. :thumbsup: