PDA

View Full Version : Why so little interest in McNabb??

Merchant
03-25-2010, 10:39 PM
All the eagles want for him essentially is a second round pick, and so far i'm hearing that only 2-3 teams (oakland, buffalo) are interested in him. I've always been a fan of McNabb.. definitely one of the top quarterbacks in the league.. so why is there so little interest? Seems like he'd be a huge upgrade for many teams in the league (e.g. Jacksonville, San Fran, Cleveland, St.Louis-even though they might draft Bradford with the #1 pick)

XxKnightxX
03-25-2010, 11:18 PM
I honestly dont know, The guy has done nothing but play his ass off and win games for that Franchise, they were nothing but bums before he got there, and he still gets treated like crap. The reason why teams may not show interest either is because McNabb is requesting a long term deal and teams dont seem too fond of giving up a second and then setting up a long term deal with them.

Psyychoward86
03-25-2010, 11:19 PM
According to Jason La Canfora (lol).....The Bills and the Raiders are very interested.

I guess age is a concern, QB's have a long lifespan in the NFL, but Mcnabb is 33, and he wont be around playing at a high level for that much longer.

MasterOfPuppets
03-25-2010, 11:19 PM
every quote i've ever see coming from philly'e organization says they are not shopping mcnabb.... certainly since they said so it MUST be true...:noidea:

tony hipchest
03-26-2010, 12:00 AM
i dont know what you are hearing but the most sensible deal is the rams guaranteeing him $25 mil as opposed to pissing away $40 mil on bradford who may or not pan out .

the rams give away the 1st pick in the second round (plus otagwey?), save money, and have a legitimate winner to start on day 1.

every quote i've ever see coming from philly'e organization says they are not shopping mcnabb.... certainly since they said so it MUST be true...

:rofl: thats right. its DEFINITELY not true!

MasterOfPuppets
03-26-2010, 12:06 AM
Andy Reid has said Donovan McNabb is his starting quarterback heading into the 2010 season.

ESPN reporter Sal Paolantonio says the Eagles look like they are going to trade QB Donovan McNabb if they get a good offer. Paolantonio says they need to have this figured out by the end of the draft or it's going to cause a rift in the locker room.

But the trade rumors around the team's quarterback situation have persisted. And now Reid says offers are being made for all three of the Philadelphia Eagles' quarterbacks -- McNabb, backup Kevin Kolb and former Atlanta Falcons starter Michael Vick.

Reid said Tuesday and again Wednesday that the team is entertaining and evaluating the offers, according to published reports in Philadelphia. He has declined to offer details about the proposals.

"I'm listening [to offers] out there," Reid said Wednesday at the NFC coaches media breakfast, according to Philly.com. "I'm not saying I'm doing anything. But we're keeping our ears open.

"I don't worry about [what other people are saying]. It's an evaluation process right now," he added, according to the Web site. He also said he could see all three quarterbacks remaining with the team.

McNabb responded to Reid's statements via his blog at yardbarker.com.

"My position hasn't changed. I've said all along that I would like to win a Super Bowl and finish my career in Philadelphia," McNabb wrote. "I understand the situation well and just hope whichever direction the Eagles decide to go in, they do it quickly. I think that would be best for me, Kevin, Michael, the Eagles, and any other teams involved.

"No matter what happens, I've already begun preparing to have an outstanding season in 2010."

Reid broached the subject of trade offers on Tuesday.

"This is the truth: Our three quarterbacks are Philadelphia Eagles," Reid said Tuesday, according to The Philadelphia Inquirer. "People are entertaining us with offers. Nothing's been done, but we're evaluating all of them. That's the truth. There's not a lot really going on other than entertaining."

Reid would not address the team's specific plans, according to the report, but said that from a coach's standpoint, the Eagles are in an enviable position.

"There are coaches who dream to be in this situation," Reid said, according to the Inquirer. "I'm not in any hurry to get rid of any of them. Have people talked? Yeah, people have talked. Have we listened? Yeah, we're in the process of listening. The bottom line is if I have all three of them, that's great."

Reid has stated and reiterated that McNabb is the team's starter headed into 2010. But trade rumors have not died down as the team's supporters debate whether it would be best to stick with McNabb, who has brought the team to five NFC Championship Games and a trip to the Super Bowl, or turn the page and give Kolb the keys to the offense.
:noidea:

McNabb, around whom trade rumors have begun to swirl, told thePhiladelphia Inquirer that Eagles coach Andy Reid privately has assured the 11-year veteran he will retain the team's starting job:

"That's all that matters. I heard it when he said it to you guys, but I heard it before anyway. I think a lot of people look too far into things with all the assumptions and this could happen. He told everybody I'm going to be there, and I'm his guy. I don't see anything that anybody should look into."

steelerdude15
03-26-2010, 12:26 AM
The funny thing is... McNabb is the best QB in Philly history, IMO.

MasterOfPuppets
03-26-2010, 01:02 AM
if i'm the gm of the following teams, i'd have no problem offering up a 1st and a 3rd for mcnabb...the teams in bold especially could be serious contenders with mcnabb.
cleveland
jacksonville ( trade gerrard for a 3rd or 4th?)
denver
washington
minnesota
carolina
tampa
arizona
st louis
seattle
san fran

tony hipchest
03-26-2010, 01:03 AM
"I'm not saying I'm doing anything. But we're keeping our ears open.

"I don't worry about [what other people are saying]. It's an evaluation process right now,"

coachspeak at its finest.

so does that mean he is lying or telling the truth about mcnabb being on the trading block? :huh:

i guess it depends if you are a philly fan who thinks owners and mgmt always tell the truth, or someone who looks at the situation from a realistic and objective point of view.

fansince'76
03-26-2010, 01:06 AM
coachspeak at its finest.

so does that mean he is lying or telling the truth about mcnabb being on the trading block? :huh:

i guess it depends if you are a phily fan who things owners and mgmt always tell the truth, or someone who looks at the situation from a realistic and objective point of view.

Don't know - I'm waiting for Wexell's tweet on the matter telling me what to think, personally. :coffee:

tony hipchest
03-26-2010, 01:08 AM
Don't know - I'm waiting for Wexell's tweet on the matter telling me what to think, personally. :coffee:dont hold your breath.

you can stay tuned in on ESPN's sportscenter. :coffee:

fansince'76
03-26-2010, 01:35 AM
dont hold your breath.

you can stay tuned in on ESPN's sportscenter. :coffee:

Sorry, I don't really keep up with that bastion of journalistic integrity. Have they mentioned when we're picking up Vick by any chance? After all, we'd be a perfect fit for him (Mark Schlereth even said so!), especially with Ben heading to Sing Sing soon on a rape charge. :coffee:

steelreserve
03-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Latest I heard on the radio here this morning was that Crazy Al has offered the Eagles Nnamdi Asomufmadfgsafdsagjfdsasafa for McNabb straight up. Apparently they're working on the details, like if one team or the other gets a sidekick or a draft pick thrown in.

Seems like it would make sense for both sides, although I will believe it when I see it.

Mags87
03-26-2010, 12:12 PM
my friend is a big Vikings fan and he's been talking about them being interested in McNabb for a few years now. but now that they have Favre who has no idea how to make up his mind, it seems like their golden opportunity is gonna pass them right by. i have a lot of respect for McNabb as a player and i wouldnt mind watching him play in Purple.

X-Terminator
03-26-2010, 12:31 PM
McNabb has been rumored to be traded at least 10 times over the past 3 seasons, mainly to Chicago, and it hasn't happened yet. In fact, if it's true that the Eagles only wanted a 2nd round pick, that deal would have been done already.

When something actually happens, call me. Until then, it's just another shot in the dark that missed its target.

Mags87
03-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Some of McNabb's credentials:

NFL records
Most consecutive pass completions, 24; vs New York Giants, Nov. 28, 2004; vs Green Bay Packers, Dec. 5, 2004

Least-intercepted quarterback per pass attempt of all time, (4588 attempts-96 interceptions, 2.09%)

Second-best touchdown-to-interception ratio of all time, (209-96, 2.18) behind Tom Brady (217-92, 2.36)

First NFL Quarterback ever to throw for more than 30 touchdowns and fewer than 10 interceptions (2004)

One of six quarterbacks of all time to have over 25,000 passing yards and 3,000 rushing yards (alongside Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, Fran Tarkenton, Steve McNair, and John Elway)

Currently the third-highest winning percentage among active quarterbacks (83-45-1, .647) behind Peyton Manning (119-59-0, .669) and Tom Brady (88-25-0, .779)

ive always liked this guy, and i still think this is a terrible move if Philly decides to lose him. then again, talks of McNabb leaving during the offseason is almost as sure fire as Favre retiring

XxKnightxX
03-26-2010, 05:51 PM
my friend is a big Vikings fan and he's been talking about them being interested in McNabb for a few years now. but now that they have Favre who has no idea how to make up his mind, it seems like their golden opportunity is gonna pass them right by. i have a lot of respect for McNabb as a player and i wouldnt mind watching him play in Purple.

McNabb should do the Randall Cunningham project, play for the eagles, go to a superbowl, go to the Vikings and get close to the super bowl . History repeats itself :sofunny:

AllD
03-26-2010, 08:30 PM
He is a great QB. Probably the best active QB who has not won a SB. The Eagles were asking for a top 42 draft pick this year, very reasonable. The Cards already announced they were not interested. He has a home in Phoenix which would make great sense, but the Cards lost a lot of good players to FA, so they are going to ride Leinart.

There might be a back story having to do with the CBA or something else unknown. There are too many teams that need a QB where he would do well for the next 2 years.

Psyychoward86
03-26-2010, 10:25 PM

He's also the biggest choke at the QB position in NFL history. How do you not win a single superbowl when you've been to 4 NFC Championship games and a superbowl. Omg :doh:

tony hipchest
03-27-2010, 12:25 AM
He's also the biggest choke at the QB position in NFL history. How do you not win a single superbowl when you've been to 4 NFC Championship games and a superbowl. Omg :doh:

that almost sounds like cowhers steelers. 2 afc champ games with both odonnell and stewart.

i woulda loved to have donovan in those years. we may not have won 4 rings, but i sure as hell bet we wouldnt have lost 3 of 4 champ games at home with him.

cowher > reid

Aussie_steeler
03-27-2010, 03:45 AM

I think this is the best case scenario. Grab McNabb and let Favre sit or go.

McNabb has indicated that the first place he would go to in Minnesota so that he can reunite with Brad Childress.

http://min.scout.com/2/957237.html

Philli then packages its first ( 1 - 24) with the Minnesota first ( 1 - 30) plus a 3rd round pick and goes hard after Gerald McCoy or Eric Berry, both of whom they have scheduled pre draft interviews with.

It looks like Philli is going to be aggressive.

I cant see St Louis making a play for McNabb as he only has one year left on his contract and he is likely to run to another team. Whereas in Minnesota he will resign to stay with his mentor Childress.

AllD
03-27-2010, 07:34 AM
Plus McNabb has already been quoted, "Do whatever you are going to do, but just make it quick." You can't ask for a better attitude.

The guy is good and even though he has not delivered a SB on his talent alone, who has? Dan Marino was made a similar scapegoat in Miami. You need a complete team or have a strong run to win it.

The Eagles would be smart to trade McNabb and get something of value if they don't want to extend him because as a FA they would receive nothing.

chacha
03-27-2010, 12:22 PM

exactly, and the organization and the fans have never appreciated him, of course this is Philly we're talking about so that's to be expected anyway. I hope he goes to the Rams, Vikings, or Arizona and gets away from that crap city

43Hitman
03-27-2010, 12:23 PM
lol...what? Weren't our Steelers very very close to doing the same thing? Is Cowher a choke artist? Manning was considered the biggest choke until he won a championship, and that was foolish too.

St33lersguy
03-27-2010, 01:26 PM
There is no interest because he's an aging choker

Psyychoward86
03-27-2010, 03:16 PM
lol...what? Weren't our Steelers very very close to doing the same thing? Is Cowher a choke artist? Manning was considered the biggest choke until he won a championship, and that was foolish too.

Not nearly as bad as Mcnabb. Manning is still a choker with a ring under his belt, his playoff record isnt even at .500. But yeah, admittedly Cowher kind of was.

As said before, nobody wants an aging choker.

RoethlisBURGHer
03-27-2010, 05:51 PM
I think it has to do with his age and his injury history.

steelreserve
03-28-2010, 02:19 AM
There is no interest because he's an aging choker

I think it's more that there's one year left on his contract, and after it expires, franchising him would cost literally $20 million. So unless he wanted to re-sign with your team anyway, you're essentially giving up a #1 draft pick or a Pro Bowler for a one-year rental.

McNabb is still an excellent QB, and a lot of teams (coughRaiderscoughNinerscough) would be far better off with him than any POS they've got on their current roster.

silver & black
03-28-2010, 08:32 AM
I think it's more that there's one year left on his contract, and after it expires, franchising him would cost literally $20 million. So unless he wanted to re-sign with your team anyway, you're essentially giving up a #1 draft pick or a Pro Bowler for a one-year rental.

McNabb is still an excellent QB, and a lot of teams (coughRaiderscoughNinerscough) would be far better off with him than any POS they've got on their current roster.

Agreed, but I don't want him.

I like McNabb, but his best years are behind him, IMO. He's 33, been hurt , and he would only be a bandaid for a year or two on a never healing wound in Oakland. He would get killed behind the pathetic O line of the Raiders.

Not only that, but you have to be crazy if you honestly think there is going to be any other QB besides JR that is going to start the season... despite Cable's insistence that there is going to be "competition" for the QB spot... LOL! Al paid for the lump of pork fat that is JR... don't kid yourself about who is going to be the QB of the Raiduhz!

I can't wait to wake up from this nightmare.

steelreserve
03-28-2010, 12:43 PM
I seriously think the best thing that could happen to the Raiders is if Russell got in some kind of dirt bike accident or nightclub stabbing or something idiotic like that.

Unfortunately, it'll never happen. I mean, he's dumb enough, but this is the Raiders. They're not going to catch a break.

silver & black
03-28-2010, 01:17 PM
I seriously think the best thing that could happen to the Raiders is if Russell got in some kind of dirt bike accident or nightclub stabbing or something idiotic like that.

Unfortunately, it'll never happen. I mean, he's dumb enough, but this is the Raiders. They're not going to catch a break.

I know what you're saying. I honestly don't wish for anything bad to happen to JR... I just want him to go away. He isn't interested in becoming an NFL QB. He has no work ethic. He doe sn't care about losing weight and coming in at a weight that would allow him to play better. He isn't interested in learning the playbook.... or watching film. He just isn't interested...period. Sometimes you have admit that you made a mistake, and cut your losses, and move on. Anyone else, other than Al Davis,would recognize this.

I can't remember ever being less interested in the off season, draft, or start of a new season. This decade has killed my enthusiasm for NFL football. I can fully understand how Browns, Lions, Bengals, Cardinals and Saints fans felt for years... it's miserable.

HughC
03-31-2010, 06:20 PM

That pretty much sums up the answer to the question of "why so little interest in McNabb?" I would also add that he's going to get paid fairly well this season - I believe $11 million between a roster bonus and his salary. So since he is in the last year of his contract, you'd be paying that much money and trading your 1st round draft pick for what could be a one-year rental. Then if you keep him you have to turn around and pay big bucks again next year, either in the form of a signing bonus to a new contract or by franchising him.

Most teams that need a quarterback also need a lot of help at other positions, and are more than a year away from the playoffs. There are very few teams that can honestly make a case that adding a quality quarterback makes them a super bowl contender. Some say Minnesota but I can't see Childress pulling the rug from under Favre's feet like that. That leaves Arizona but I'm guessing they're going to give Leinart one final shot to prove himself.

BrandonCarr39
04-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Because he's had a history of being injury prone?

Either way, I'm still shocked they didn't get much from the Redskins. Teams in general are DESPERATE for QBs, that especially if they're the missing pieces, they will give up ANYTHING(and we all know Snyder's track record).

I mean the Niners have 2 #1's this year - they scream of desperation to me.

tube517
04-04-2010, 11:19 PM
The Redskins always give up draft picks going back to George Allen. I wonder if they have ever had a full draft.

Because he's had a history of being injury prone?

Either way, I'm still shocked they didn't get much from the Redskins. Teams in general are DESPERATE for QBs, that especially if they're the missing pieces, they will give up ANYTHING(and we all know Snyder's track record).

I mean the Niners have 2 #1's this year - they scream of desperation to me.

BrandonCarr39
04-07-2010, 10:23 PM
The Redskins always give up draft picks going back to George Allen. I wonder if they have ever had a full draft.

They have the #4 overall pick, but don't pick again until the 4th round.

Despite being horrible last year, the Redskins, despite their lack of draft picks in recent years, have actually assembled a very fine 53 man roster with alot of young talent. They actually got alot of gems in the latter rounds as well as the undrafted free agent sections.

With all the injuries they had last year, these young guys came in and played very well(they blew those games againt Dallas and New Orleans b/c their kicker couldn't even kick a barn door, and they had an 8 pt 4th qtr lead against Philly until the roof came down).

And their injuries on the OL was what did them in last year - they were dragging guys off the street out of desperation.

lionslicer
04-13-2010, 10:40 PM
I think it has to do with him being over 30 and his inconsistancy. Generally players get more inconsitant as they get older, why put McNabb on a pedistole and say he's any better. Teams also look at him as ingury prone. He doesn't get hurt often, but when he does, he's out for a while, and being an older player makes his value go down a lot more in the injury department.