PDA

View Full Version : Madden: Tomlin should shoulder some blame, too

mesaSteeler
03-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Madden: Tomlin should shoulder some blame, too
TEXT SIZE Increase text size Decrease text size
By: Mark Madden
Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2010/march/29/madden-tomlin-should-shoulder-some-blame-too.html
Monday March 29, 2010 11:43 PM

"As bad boys go, Steelers have supplanted the Bengals.”

The headline at ProFootballTalk.com is a sad statement, but an accurate one. With the Ben Roethlisberger allegations segueing into Santonio Holmes’ latest escapade and with Joey Porter not far removed from Pittsburgh, the Steelers have never been viewed in a more embarrassing light.

Besides the players involved, Mike Tomlin should be the most embarrassed.

He won a Super Bowl, but that was with somebody else’s team. Otherwise, Tomlin’s reign as Steelers coach has been marked mostly by trouble and turmoil.

It’s not Tomlin’s job to baby-sit his players 24/7. But it is his duty to create an environment of accountability.

If Tomlin has done that, there’s precious little evidence. Domestic abuse, disorderly conduct, sexual assault … under Tomlin, the Steelers have run amok, especially given the team’s “standards of conduct” that are “above and beyond,” as Tomlin was laughably quoted as saying last week.

Tomlin was hired to satisfy the tenets of the Rooney Rule. But was he ready for the job? Was he ready to be head coach of perhaps football’s most storied team?

Tomlin never played in the NFL. He’s not much older than his players. He’s known for being a players’ coach, but many feel he crosses that fine line and is too buddy-buddy. He’s only coached in the NFL since 2001 and spent just one season as a coordinator before the Steelers hired him. Tomlin has little experience at being boss.

Tomlin wasn’t exactly oozing credibility in the first place.

Now his players’ shenanigans have him under a microscope.

Or, at least, they should. Tomlin’s reputation remains remarkably unscathed despite all that’s happened.

Maybe that’s fair. After all, what NFL coach truly does control his players? Between frequent roster shuffling, brief coaching tenures and second/ third/fourth chances gone wild, it’s surprising that any player listens to any coach on any issue.
Advertisement

Tomlin has a good football mind. He seems to be a good administrator. He’s got massive potential.

Like his predecessor, Bill Cowher, Tomlin will probably develop into a very good coach.

Tomlin just needs time and, since the Steelers never fire coaches, it’s on his side.

Tomlin’s vulnerability in touchy situations came to light last season when he failed to mediate the conflict between Roethlisberger and Hines Ward.

Roethlisberger sat out with a concussion. Ward questioned Roethlisberger’s courage on national television.

Tomlin, by all accounts, did nothing.

Tomlin got lucky. That dispute didn’t spiral out of control. But look what’s happened since.

The Steelers have become a mess on Tomlin’s watch.

He has the most direct control over the players, and things are chaotic.

Marvin Lewis survived similar turbulence in Cincinnati and turned things around. Tomlin can do the same.

But the Steelers need to make a statement. They need to do something that suggests further tumult will not be tolerated.

But that’s difficult to do when James Harrison, an admitted domestic abuser, and Jeff Reed, a one-man crime wave of disorderly conduct, committed grievous transgressions and got fat new contracts after.

My advice is for you, not the Steelers: Watch hockey. The disappointments are a lot fewer and further between.

The good news: If Holmes can throw a glass across a room and hit a girl in the eye, the Steelers have a solid option at quarterback if Roethlisberger is suspended.

Assuming Holmes isn’t suspended, too, that is.

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).

fansince'76
03-30-2010, 10:25 PM
....and with Joey Porter not far removed from Pittsburgh, the Steelers have never been viewed in a more embarrassing light.

Fatboy realizes Porter was given his release before Tomlin coached his first game, right? :coffee:

OneForTheToe
03-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Also, Vick once played a game against the Steelers, so naturally his dog fighting crimes are a reflection on the Steelers.

OX1947
03-30-2010, 10:41 PM
This isn't college a-hole. These are grown men. Tomlin and the Steelers organizations' job is to win football games, not babysit grown men. How the **** does an article like this allowed to be printed? This is the most asinine thing I have ever heard. I want to jump into a time machine and have a second chance at not reading this soiled toilet paper.

tony hipchest
03-30-2010, 11:03 PM
unfortunately, with what has been going on, it does reflect on the coach. it is the nature of the beast.

with that being said, dan rooney was the true face of the franchise, just like his dad. he was the lovable father figure to all his players.

maybe we should blame him (or better yet obama) for abandoning the steelers and moving overseas.

better yet... lets blame goodell for running his ass out of the league. :thumbsup:

steelerohio
03-30-2010, 11:11 PM
The coach can only do so much... what a waste of time...

MACH1
03-30-2010, 11:23 PM
Didn't know it was Tomlins job to babysit these guys 24/7.

JEFF4i
03-30-2010, 11:24 PM
Reading these articles posted daily I really feel as if I went into the wrong profession.

fansince'76
03-30-2010, 11:28 PM
Also, Vick once played a game against the Steelers, so naturally his dog fighting crimes are a reflection on the Steelers.

Oh, and Greg Lloyd allegedly putting the business end of a gun in his son's mouth in 2001 was by extension Tomlin's fault too, since Lloyd once played for the Steelers. And do I really need to mention Ray Lewis?

JEFF4i
03-30-2010, 11:30 PM
There was once a draft pick who went on to not help a little old lady across the road, which is Tomlin's fault.

tube517
03-30-2010, 11:34 PM
I blame Tomlin when he was the Def Backs Coordinator for TB for the Steelers signing of DeWayne Washington and Chad Scott for Pittsburgh. After all, if he did get them to come to Tampa, we would not have had their sorry play for all those years. All his fault. :wink02:

tony hipchest
03-30-2010, 11:38 PM
Oh, and Greg Lloyd allegedly putting the business end of a gun in his son's mouth in 2001 was by extension Tomlin's fault too, since Lloyd once played for the Steelers. And do I really need to mention Ray Lewis?

:laughing:

tomlin shoulda drafted dan marino instead of that paralyzed drunk driver.

stillers4me
03-31-2010, 05:13 AM
It's Bush's fault.

AndyWitmyer
03-31-2010, 05:19 AM
It's Bush's fault.

Well, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one thinks so! :chuckle:

Also, I only clicked on this thread because I thought it was John Madden getting in on the Ben-Bashing. I was going to rip on him for all of the obvious reasons, but I guess I'll just have to save it for another time.

stillers4me
03-31-2010, 05:46 AM
The good news: If Holmes can throw a glass across a room and hit a girl in the eye, the Steelers have a solid option at quarterback if Roethlisberger is suspended.

Assuming Holmes isn’t suspended, too, that is.

What an idiot.

AndyWitmyer
03-31-2010, 05:49 AM
What an idiot.

Agreed. Totally. I love how this guy just immediately passes his judgment on Holmes without even considering the fact that maybe, JUST MAYBE Santonio's *gasp* - actually innocent??? I love the timing of his opinion, too - seeing as how the criminal charges against Santonio were dropped.

:doh:

steeldawg
03-31-2010, 06:32 AM
we have two allegations with no charges filed and all of the sudden we have supplanted the bengals. I love how joey porter gets lumped in there also, talk about grasping at straws to prove your point. Was anyone else aware of marvin lewis turning it around in cinncinatti as far as i know they still havent won anything. Tomlin does not shoulder this blame he's responsible for what happens on the field, he's not responsible for grown men's actions off the field. This is the problem with our society we are always lookin to blame someone else , whatever happened to accoutability.

SteelerFanInStl
03-31-2010, 08:08 AM
Madden once again proves that he's an idiot. I don't know how that guy still has a job.

SteelerFanInATL
03-31-2010, 09:45 AM
Didn't know it was Tomlins job to babysit these guys 24/7.

NO its not!!!! It is Cowhers job since they were his draft picks!!! :popcorn: :popcorn:

Godfather
03-31-2010, 10:18 AM
So, when Tomlin won the Super Bowl, it doesn't count because he inherited those players. But when those same inherited players get in trouble, it's his fault.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
03-31-2010, 10:20 AM
Madden has an obvious agenda which is biased against Tomlin... This article, if it were on paper rather than my computer screen, would make nice toilet paper...

vasteeler
03-31-2010, 10:22 AM
As soon as i read this "As bad boys go, Steelers have supplanted the Bengals.”
i gave up on the artical, what a joke

X-Terminator
03-31-2010, 10:28 AM
First of all, note the date of the article. It's Monday, before the charges against Santo were dropped. Second, is anyone really surprised Doughnut Boy wrote an article bashing the Steelers? That's the reason why he now has to write for 3rd-rate rags like the Beaver County Times and his radio show is now on 105.9 The X, a network geared to the young and dumb (though they are the Pens' radio flagship).

Just like always, Madden proves himself to be an absolute douchebag idiot. How he still has a job that doesn't involve washing dishes is beyond me.

JEFF4i
03-31-2010, 01:21 PM
Don't blame me, I voted Palin.

Godfather
03-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Madden has an obvious agenda which is biased against Tomlin... This article, if it were on paper rather than my computer screen, would make nice toilet paper...

I'd like Madden to show me where the Rooney Rule says a minority coach has to be HIRED. Much less interviewed seeing as how we talked to Ron Rivera before we interviewed Tomlin.

steeldawg
03-31-2010, 11:32 PM
So, when Tomlin won the Super Bowl, it doesn't count because he inherited those players. But when those same inherited players get in trouble, it's his fault.

lol thats a great point!

RoethlisBURGHer
04-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Did someone actually pay him to write that? If so, they wasted their money because my friend's four year old daughter could write a better article.

Mike Tomlin is the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He is paid for the on-field product, which he has produced with. No losing seasons and a Super Bowl Championship.

It is not part of his job to babysit grown ass adults. At 18, your parents are no longer held equally responsible for your actions, so how in the hell can you hold Mike Tomlin partly responsible for the actions of a grown adult off the field?

AllD
04-01-2010, 02:56 PM
The bottom line is the player's poor behavior directly reflects the team. The HC for the Steelers is one of the faces of the team, therefore he does deserve some of the blame. Not to mention #7 and #10 with his catch.

Playing professional sports is a lifestyle choice, not a typical 9 to 5 occupation. With it comes personal responsibility that some players accept, while others feel a sense of entitlement.

Some people are just not mature enough to handle the celebrity and money that go along with being a sports superstar while others remain humble and strive to achieve greatness on and off the field. After seeing the actions of Reed, BB and Holmes, would you behave like an idiot if you were in any of their shoes? I bet everyone would do it differently.

*Great respect for #92 and he receives a bye on the topic discussed above.

steelerchad
04-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Man. Did that guy say Tomlin was hired to satisfy the Rooney rule?
I don't live in Pittsburgh anymore, so I'm not subjected to this guys trash on a daily basis. But this Madden guy is an idiot. I believe Tomlin got the job because he won it and because Cowher didn't really push for Grimm or Whiz to succeed him. If your current Boss doesn't recommend you, then management probably doesn't think you're ready to take the head job.
All indications are that Tomlin is a young, knowledgeable, organized guy who has already had some great success in his 3 years as HC.

Bng_Hevn
04-01-2010, 03:37 PM
As much as I don't care for Tomlin (I think he is a blowhard), what the players do during the off-season should have nothing to do with Tomlin. That is akin to saying your 25 year old son robbing a bank is your responsibility. Well, maybe you would be partly to blame for that if you didn't raise him "correctly", but your name wouldn't be on the court papers as a defendant.

I just wish football teams had the ability to cut ties with players not worth the trouble. Not that Ben would be in that category, but if all this blows over and he gets into it again, what can you do besides make an example of him?

I guess if I ran a football team I'd have a team like the Bengals, and the exact opposite of the Bengals.

I'd accept ZERO tolerance for this type of behavior and would immediately trade/cut the player. So, I'd be like the Bengals in that my team would be mired in losing seasons but opposite them b/c I'd have no criminals.

Indo
04-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Mark Madden :monkey:

and that's all I have to say about that

Corey120120
04-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Mark Madden :monkey:

and that's all I have to say about that

I agree. i hate him.

rick723
04-01-2010, 10:34 PM
And someone really wants to listen to mark madden? guys a clowns fan

solardave
04-02-2010, 05:57 AM
What an idiot.

I agree. He needs to go write somewhere else. The only point I agree with is that Tomlin ( really the FO) needs to get BB's and Santonio's attention. Just don't put yourself in the position to be acused. Other than that he missed his true calling as a body part. An:banging: a..hole!

HometownGal
04-02-2010, 06:34 AM
I've made no secret around here how I feel about Madden. He's the anti-Steeler and would be better served being the national spokesman for a pizza franchise. Of course, he'd probably eat all the profits so that wouldn't work either. :upyours: Madden. :pig: :pig:

Separated at birth:

http://site.steelcityauctions.com/madden.jpg

AND

http://www.garnersclassics.com/pics/space/hut.jpg