PDA

View Full Version : What is most disappointing season of the steelers in the last 30 years?

polamalubeast
03-31-2010, 02:45 PM
I would say for a hand, the 2003 season.

It was really not nice to watch:doh:

polamalubeast
03-31-2010, 02:53 PM
I wanted to do a survey, but I failed

He would have several choices of answers as the team 1986,1988,1998,1999,2003,2006 and 2009

ARKIESTEEL
03-31-2010, 02:53 PM
for me it is always whichever one was the last one we didnt make the playoffs..........so last year would be my pick

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-31-2010, 03:04 PM
Gotta be 1988. The Chief passes, the end of the good old days as the last few steelers of the 70's hang on like Stallworth and Shell. 5-11 in the season and the following year didnt get any better as they drafted Tim Worley in the 1st round. :doh:

Some of you around here just know the teams of the last 15 years and heard of the 70's teams........but never had to live thru the down years of the 80's. So don't cry about Ben hanging onto the ball too long, without remembering Malone, Brister, Woodley, Tomczak, Graham, etc.

Prok
03-31-2010, 03:17 PM
Gotta be 1988. The Chief passes, the end of the good old days as the last few steelers of the 70's hang on like Stallworth and Shell. 5-11 in the season and the following year didnt get any better as they drafted Tim Worley in the 1st round. :doh:

Some of you around here just know the teams of the last 15 years and heard of the 70's teams........but never had to live thru the down years of the 80's. So don't cry about Ben hanging onto the ball too long, without remembering Malone, Brister, Woodley, Tomczak, Graham, etc.

True dat.

My pick would be any and all years we had to hope winner of QB "competition" could lead us to the promised land.

I got no bitches with Ben being QB what so ever.

AndyWitmyer
03-31-2010, 03:19 PM
I really, really hated sitting through Cowher's last season with the team. Courtesy of his motorcycle injuries, Ben was a wreck for most of it - add to that a team riddled by other injuries, as well as the fact that everyone knew Cowher was leaving pretty much no matter what - and what you got was a fairly uninspiring performance from a team that was nothing short of inspiring just one season prior. For the most part, it was actually hard to watch - especially that game against the Jaguars - you know, the one where their offense couldn't even put up a single first down, much less a single point. If I recall, the Jaguars didn't score a touchdown, but they were able to put up a few field goals. I walked away feeling stunned - that feeling would linger for the rest of the season. Yeah. there were a few glimpses of inspiration here and there, but for the most part they looked incredibly subpar.

I always had a great deal of respect for Cowher - and, to a degree, I still do - but in hindsight, I really wish he would have just retired after winning that Super Bowl. It just seemed like the hunger was gone. And for most of the season, a lot of his coaching decisions that year were (in my opinion) incredibly questionable. I also think Ben should have been played very sparingly (if at all) during at least the first 3 or 4 games of that season - I know he probably talked Cowher into letting him play, but it I just remember the distinct feeling that Ben was hardly at 100% - he might have been at 60%, tops. He just didn't look very well. Oh well, hindsight as they say, is 20/20.

fansince'76
03-31-2010, 03:45 PM
1980 - the dynasty ended with a whimper. Despite winning Lombardi #4, the cracks were beginning to show in '79 (35-7 shellacking by the Chargers, anyone?), but the whole thing collapsed in 1980. The low point of that season in particular for me was watching us lose a late season Thursday night game to the Oilers by a score of 6-0 and seeing one of the cameras focused on Bum Phillips on the sideline with his arms raised in triumph. Ugh.

polamalubeast
03-31-2010, 04:01 PM
I really, really hated sitting through Cowher's last season with the team. Courtesy of his motorcycle injuries, Ben was a wreck for most of it - add to that a team riddled by other injuries, as well as the fact that everyone knew Cowher was leaving pretty much no matter what - and what you got was a fairly uninspiring performance from a team that was nothing short of inspiring just one season prior. For the most part, it was actually hard to watch - especially that game against the Jaguars - you know, the one where their offense couldn't even put up a single first down, much less a single point. If I recall, the Jaguars didn't score a touchdown, but they were able to put up a few field goals. I walked away feeling stunned - that feeling would linger for the rest of the season. Yeah. there were a few glimpses of inspiration here and there, but for the most part they looked incredibly subpar.

I always had a great deal of respect for Cowher - and, to a degree, I still do - but in hindsight, I really wish he would have just retired after winning that Super Bowl. It just seemed like the hunger was gone. And for most of the season, a lot of his coaching decisions that year were (in my opinion) incredibly questionable. I also think Ben should have been played very sparingly (if at all) during at least the first 3 or 4 games of that season - I know he probably talked Cowher into letting him play, but it I just remember the distinct feeling that Ben was hardly at 100% - he might have been at 60%, tops. He just didn't look very well. Oh well, hindsight as they say, is 20/20.

Yes and for the defeats of 31-7 and 27-0 against the Ravens have been very embarrassing too.:mad:

He also defeated the Raiders 20-13 cons was very hard too, especially given that
Ben has made 4 interceptions and 2 return for a touchdown.:dang:

I can not believe we had lost our last 2 games against the Raiders:shake01:

stlrtruck
03-31-2010, 04:09 PM

I'm sending you my psychotrist bill for this one buddy!

Just when I was doing well, you gotta bring up the past!

fansince'76
03-31-2010, 04:18 PM

Yeah, with the Chief dying, '88 was bad, but by that time, I EXPECTED us to be downright bad to mediocre, or at best, wild card round cannon fodder for a legitimate SB contender. '80 was still the worst for me, as '80 was the first time the team missed the playoffs since I started watching football in '76.

SteelCityMom
03-31-2010, 04:24 PM

I was young, but I remember The Chief passing and how upset my Dad was over it. I was more into hockey at that age, but I clearly remember the profanity that was emitted from the den during the 80's (over football and hockey alike at many points!). I do remember feeling much shame over Tomczak's play though...he was just awful.

The most disappointing season for me was either the '03 or '06 season (when Cowher checked out ahead of time). They were just painful to watch.

chacha
03-31-2010, 04:32 PM
1984, when Franco Harris was released and played for the Seahawks:crying01::crying01::crying01::crying01:

Edman
03-31-2010, 04:37 PM
Going by overall body of work and looking at the circumstances, last year is probably the worst for me.

No motorcycle accident, no retiring coach, few injuries, a pretty talented team that already experienced 2006. A shaky start, but they seemed to get it together, and it looked like 2006 was a thing of the past.

Looking so dominant in Denver to go to 6-2 on Monday Night. Then came the second Cincy game...

The rest is history.

XxKnightxX
03-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Going by overall body of work and looking at the circumstances, last year is probably the worst for me.

No motorcycle accident, no retiring coach, few injuries, a pretty talented team that already experienced 2006. A shaky start, but they seemed to get it together, and it looked like 2006 was a thing of the past.

Looking so dominant in Denver to go to 6-2 on Monday Night. Then came the second Cincy game...

The rest is history.

Ill have to agree with you on that one. We were looking so well after that Monday night game. And the pain, anger, sadness, and frustration that the following 5 weeks ensued. I've had other people talk crap about the steelers since were always winning, but after the browns game I Hit absolute rock bottom. I had people having pity for me. Ill never forget after that browns game that I went to the gym right afterwards and unleashed so much anger that I wore myself out.

SteelGhost
03-31-2010, 07:37 PM
There were some disappointing seasons, but I have to go to '95 (the end of it that is)

January 26th, 1996, SuperBowl XXX, at Sun Devil Stadium in Arizona. Those 2 Larry Browns picks six were an atrocity by Neil O'Donnell, I can't exorcise that demon yet :doh: :banging:

HughC
03-31-2010, 08:08 PM
This is not an easy question to answer. First there's 1980, the first time in nearly a decade the team doesn't make the playoffs. Then there's 1998, a losing season after six straight playoff appearances. The 6-10 2003 season has to rank up there too.

Usually I say people put too much emphasis on the here and now and don't pay enough attention to past history when compiling 'best' and 'worst' sports lists, but 2009 may indeed go down as the most disappointing. Consider that the team was coming off a championship season with its roster nearly intact for starters. The add in the pre-season hype, with more national 'experts' predicting the Steelers to either win or at least make it to the Super Bowl than any other team. Add in the league's easiest schedule, playing the NFL's two worst divisions (the NFC West and the AFC West) and there was good reason for expectations to be very high. Not even making the playoffs was unimagineable.

Yes, the teams of the mid to late 80's were not very good, but the expectations for those teams was not very high either; therefore I wouldn't say they were the most disappointing. Disappointment is not the same as worst; it is the difference between expected results and actual results. By contrast to those teams of the late 80's the expectations for the 2009 was extremely high, so I think I would have to rank that team as the most disappointing Steeler team in the last thirty years.

El-Gonzo Jackson
03-31-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm sending you my psychotrist bill for this one buddy!

Just when I was doing well, you gotta bring up the past! Sorry about that...but you know I got very little sympathy for ya, as all it means is you will probably be prescribed some gator bites, grouper and a frosty beverage while watching the sun set on the gulf coast.......as therapy. :tt:

Yeah, with the Chief dying, '88 was bad, but by that time, I EXPECTED us to be downright bad to mediocre, or at best, wild card round cannon fodder for a legitimate SB contender. '80 was still the worst for me, as '80 was the first time the team missed the playoffs since I started watching football in '76.

76, I hear ya on that one as you could see the end coming when Vince Ferragamo gave us a run in the SB. To me '80 was the signal that the ride was over, but in '88 it felt like we were getting kicked out of the amusement park to me.

Still, I got myself a brand spankin new black Steelers hat the next year and started hoping for the best. Fun to be a fan!!!!

tony hipchest
03-31-2010, 08:57 PM
i remember crying when terry bradshaws arm was nothing more than a noodle and he announced his retirement.

with that being said, there were 5 games last year that were the culmination of the most disappointing season ever for me.

the suck ass raiders knocking us out of the playoffs as the defending SB champions twice, makes it even worse.

Psyychoward86
03-31-2010, 09:22 PM
In my lifetime, 2009 definitely. We come in as Superbowl contenders. We leave without even touching the playoffs.

And it didnt help that we lost EVERY game by 7 points or less, half of them by a field goal.

polamalubeast
03-31-2010, 09:34 PM
In my lifetime, 2009 definitely. We come in as Superbowl contenders. We leave without even touching the playoffs.

And it didnt help that we lost EVERY game by 7 points or less, half of them by a field goal.

I confess that every defeat was hard to take.

The cornerback was terrible.:doh:

The first defeat against the Bengals and the Raiders were the cons for me 2 of the worst defeats I have seen in my life.:mad:

The 2009 season was marked by the collapse in the 4th quart:banging::banging:

JEFF4i
03-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Hmmm...it's a tie, for me, a youngin...

Now I've liked the Steelers all my life. So when in school, it was a big deal that we made it in '95. Worse, in New Mexico, there's a crapload of Cowgirls fans. You can put the pieces together.

Honestly, this last year was pretty hard. We beat the Chargers, Vikings, and Broncos in strong fashion. Looked like Super Bowl Hangover was silly. But with Troy hurt, and just so many things going wrong...*sigh* Probably one of the most talented sets of players on both sides to miss the playoffs.

devilsdancefloor
03-31-2010, 10:43 PM
id have to go with the 85 season. The steelers finished 7-9 the first losing season in 13 years of watching the steelers.Had high hopes for that team since the year before they made it to the AFCCG only to get hammered by Miami. 1994 was also hard to swallow as well.

Edman
03-31-2010, 10:56 PM
2009 is an extra sore spot because a good chunk of the players on the team were vets who already experienced 2006, and they let it happen again.

BlastFurnace
03-31-2010, 11:14 PM
So many of them have been brought up. Here were my most disappointing seasons:

1977: We got in the playoffs by the slightest of margins only to get beaten by the Broncos. The reason it was so disappointing is that we came off an incredible 1976 season where we were two hurt RB's away from 3 - Peating. The 1977 team underachieved.

1980: There were cracks in the armour, but everything seemed to go bad this season with age and injuries. After beating Houston on opening day, I thought we could 3-Peat. It didn't end up that way.

1982: Bradshaw's last healthy year. Started the season off so promising by beating Dallas and Cincinnati...and then the players went on strike. I thought this team was the end of the era for the last of the great players on the team. That's what made it so disappointing. I thought this team could win it all. Lost a great playoff game to San Diego.

1998: Kordell's great 1997 had everyone expecting great things in 1998. The Kordell we saw in 1997, we never saw again. Yes, 2001 was good for Kordell, but the Steelers won more on defense than anything else that year. 1998 started off good at 7-4, but after the big Jacksonville win at home, the team completely fell apart.

2003: The year of Tommy Gun and injuries. After the opening day beatdown of Baltimore, I really thought that Tommy was going to lead this team places. This year was so disappointing in so many ways. The injuries of this year were really bad on the O-Line and it started the demise of Kendrell Bell...someone I thought would be a long time fixture at ILB for the Steelers after the 2001 and 2002 seasons.

2006: Complete beginning of the season meltdown from an injury standpoint, rumor's of the coach leaving, terrible start to the season, loss to the Raiders, etc. The team took a half year off this season.

2009: This was the biggest meltdown of them all. No-way, no-how should this team have missed the playoffs and fell as flat as they did in the middle of the season. Quite simply, last season should have been humiliating to the players to lose to the 3 worst teams in the entire league...and 2 of them when they were in disarray. Even without Troy and Aaron Smith, this team should have beaten the Chiefs, Raiders, and Browns by 14 points each. All the talk of this team and the lesson it learned in 2006. They didn't learn jack squat from 2006.

polamalubeast
03-31-2010, 11:31 PM
[QUOTE=BlastFurnace;792382]

1998: Kordell's great 1997 had everyone expecting great things in 1998. The Kordell we saw in 1997, we never saw again. Yes, 2001 was good for Kordell, but the Steelers won more on defense than anything else that year. 1998 started off good at 7-4, but after the big Jacksonville win at home, the team completely fell apart.

QUOTE]

In 1998, the collapse of the team starting at the loss controversy @ Detroit

is after the game, ls steelers lost 18 of 24 games following:banging:

polamalubeast
03-31-2010, 11:33 PM

BlastFurnace
03-31-2010, 11:42 PM

Exactly. The game after the big Jacksonville game was the Detroit Thanksgiving game. The team never recovered after that.

Steeldude
04-01-2010, 01:38 AM
all of the seasons with kordell as the starting QB

Galax Steeler
04-01-2010, 04:38 AM
There were some disappointing seasons, but I have to go to '95 (the end of it that is)

January 26th, 1996, SuperBowl XXX, at Sun Devil Stadium in Arizona. Those 2 Larry Browns picks six were an atrocity by Neil O'Donnell, I can't exorcise that demon yet :doh: :banging:

That would have to be mine as well. I could have strung O'Donnell up I was so mad.

plenewken
04-01-2010, 08:25 AM
I'd rather have a root canal than go through another atrocious season like 2003.

XxKnightxX
04-01-2010, 08:37 AM
A good question to add on , Since Last season was so disappointing to us as it was to me, isnt these Off field distractions making us even angrier? I mean I have to admit I got such a bitter and disappointing feeling after the 2009 season, and after the way all of these guys played, youre going to be acting like morons afterwards? Just a thought.

Matty™
04-01-2010, 09:59 AM
A good question to add on , Since Last season was so disappointing to us as it was to me, isnt these Off field distractions making us even angrier? I mean I have to admit I got such a bitter and disappointing feeling after the 2009 season, and after the way all of these guys played, youre going to be acting like morons afterwards? Just a thought.

a very good point, after the high of XLIII it's amazing how much of a downer some players went on in the aftermath of the SB and even in the regular season of 2009/10.

Sucks really, let's just hope a fish slap in the face will be all that is needed to wake them team up and get them to step up to their a-game.

plenewken
04-01-2010, 10:01 AM

A very good question indeed. I think there's much less tolerance for off-field f*ck-ups when they underachieve on the field. Most people expect them to keep a low profile, work hard at fixing their deficiencies, both individual and collective, instead of acting like spoiled jack@sses.
One positive thing though, out of 53+ players, only a couple have erred on the wrong side but unfortunately, they're 2 of the most prominent.

tube517
04-01-2010, 11:07 AM
I really thought they had a good team in 1982. They were relatively healthy and the first year of the 3-4 defense. I thought they were going to beat SD but they got killed by TO's.

And all I remember about 2003 was that dreaded secondary of brick footed CBs: Washington and Scott. Troy was a rookie and only played sparingly. No running game because Cowher had a "gut feeling" that Amos Z was the answer at RB.

So many of them have been brought up. Here were my most disappointing seasons:

1977: We got in the playoffs by the slightest of margins only to get beaten by the Broncos. The reason it was so disappointing is that we came off an incredible 1976 season where we were two hurt RB's away from 3 - Peating. The 1977 team underachieved.

1980: There were cracks in the armour, but everything seemed to go bad this season with age and injuries. After beating Houston on opening day, I thought we could 3-Peat. It didn't end up that way.

1982: Bradshaw's last healthy year. Started the season off so promising by beating Dallas and Cincinnati...and then the players went on strike. I thought this team was the end of the era for the last of the great players on the team. That's what made it so disappointing. I thought this team could win it all. Lost a great playoff game to San Diego.

2003: The year of Tommy Gun and injuries. After the opening day beatdown of Baltimore, I really thought that Tommy was going to lead this team places. This year was so disappointing in so many ways. The injuries of this year were really bad on the O-Line and it started the demise of Kendrell Bell...someone I thought would be a long time fixture at ILB for the Steelers after the 2001 and 2002 seasons.

2006: Complete beginning of the season meltdown from an injury standpoint, rumor's of the coach leaving, terrible start to the season, loss to the Raiders, etc. The team took a half year off this season.

2009: This was the biggest meltdown of them all. No-way, no-how should this team have missed the playoffs and fell as flat as they did in the middle of the season. Quite simply, last season should have been humiliating to the players to lose to the 3 worst teams in the entire league...and 2 of them when they were in disarray. Even without Troy and Aaron Smith, this team should have beaten the Chiefs, Raiders, and Browns by 14 points each. All the talk of this team and the lesson it learned in 2006. They didn't learn jack squat from 2006.

SteelGhost
04-01-2010, 02:14 PM
That would have to be mine as well. I could have strung O'Donnell up I was so mad.

I would erase Neil's "stats" from the books, the guy does not deserve that black and gold honor :pity:

stlrtruck
04-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Sorry about that...but you know I got very little sympathy for ya, as all it means is you will probably be prescribed some gator bites, grouper and a frosty beverage while watching the sun set on the gulf coast.......as therapy. :tt:

Damn, how did you know about Florida's healthcare? :tt03:

Back on target.

I'd have to say that 2003 was a rough season for me. All the components were pretty much in place but for some reason, they never played well as a unit.

SteelerFanInStl
04-01-2010, 06:29 PM
I've been a Steelers fan for about 35 years. Last year was the most disappointing to me because I had high expectations coming off of the SB win and returning basically the same team. The 80's weren't disappointing because we knew the team wasn't very good. :chuckle:

zulater
04-02-2010, 01:41 AM
I'd go last year too. To check in at the mid point at 6-2, coming off a big win at Denver, and then go and lose 5 in a row, to the quality of teams that we lost to, well it still doesn't make sense?

SteelerFanInStl
04-02-2010, 08:34 AM
I'd go last year too. To check in at the mid point at 6-2, coming off a big win at Denver, and then go and lose 5 in a row, to the quality of teams that we lost to, well it still doesn't make sense?

Yep, that was supposed to be the 'easy' part of the schedule.

spyboots
04-03-2010, 12:39 PM
1976 -- they best AND the worst season - if it weren't for both Rocky and Franco being injured, that would've been 3 super bowls in a row and 5 for the 1970s. That was our best team ever and it was sad that their injuries (and others) really hurt us. So to me it was the worst.

St33lersguy
04-03-2010, 04:54 PM
This past year was extremely unbearable
1. losing to garbage teams
2. lapses of effort
3. utter refusal to put teams away
4. awful, awful defense
Even the victories were ugly, barely beat the Titans with Kerry Collins, not Vince Young, barely beat the Lions, tried real hard to lose the 1st browns game, palyed the chargers in their annual slow start, almost let Tyler Thigpen come back against us. 2009 truly unbearable.

rick723
04-03-2010, 05:51 PM
for me it is always whichever one was the last one we didnt make the playoffs..........so last year would be my pick

Ditto

Edman
04-07-2010, 10:45 AM
This past year was extremely unbearable
1. losing to garbage teams
2. lapses of effort
3. utter refusal to put teams away
4. awful, awful defense
Even the victories were ugly, barely beat the Titans with Kerry Collins, not Vince Young, barely beat the Lions, tried real hard to lose the 1st browns game, palyed the chargers in their annual slow start, almost let Tyler Thigpen come back against us. 2009 truly unbearable.

You missed more very downer ones.

-Turning Bruce Gradkowski into Johnny U.
-Watching our Keystone Cop Secondary struggle to cover Jerry Rice II, er Louis Murphy.
-Allowing EIGHT sacks to the 32nd ranked Browns Defense.
-Failing to score a TD on said Browns Defense.
-Willie Gay getting trucked by AP.
-Getting gashed by Ray Rice.
-Bruce Arians controversy
-"Unleash" Hell.
-Getting swept by the Bengals.
-The ugly Special Teams.
-The "Return" streak
-22 consecutive red zone scores ALLOWED.

Don't forget we were THIS close to blowing the 6th consecutive game to the Packers at Heinz. Green Bay, like so many other teams before drives down the D and scores with no effort at all. Would've lost AGAIN if it weren't for Wallace's miracle.

2009 will go down in history as the most gutwrenching disappointment ever. Even though they finished at 9-7, they still didn't make the playoffs, so it's very little to be proud of. We know this team was capable of so much better than what we saw. Even without Troy.