PDA

View Full Version : Hampton a regular at offseason workouts

mesaSteeler
03-31-2010, 08:12 PM
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/03/31/hampton-a-regular-at-offseason-workouts/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

Hampton a regular at offseason workouts
March 31st, 2010

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has yet to participate in the Steelers’ offseason workouts, and that might be the case even if he weren’t under investigation for sexual assault.

That is because the workouts are voluntary — and even less significant than the offseason practices that are also optional but at least entail more football-related activities.

“These things are always kind of weird because guys come and go and you really can’t gauge how many people were here and who was here at the time,” Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith said earlier this week. “There was a lot of guys who weren’t here (Monday) and they’ll start straggling in the closer we get to camp.”

One player who has not been a straggler is nose tackle Casey Hampton.

He has been a regular at the team's practice facility, and the Steelers have to be thrilled with the 6-1, 325-pounder’s attendance at the offseason training sessions. By all accounts, it has been sterling and that has to qualify as at least a mild surprise.

Hampton has made no secret of the fact that he likes offseason practices and conditioning about as much as he does cut blocks. Two years ago he skipped all of the voluntary offseason practices and showed up for training camp so out of shape that coach Mike Tomlin banished him to the physically unable to perform list.

Hampton’s history of toeing the line when it comes to his weight led to the inevitable questions of what would happen after the Steelers signed the five-time Pro Bowler to a three-year, $21.2 million contract.

So far, so good on that front as Hampton is giving every indication that his new deal has made him anything but complacent. :applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

polamalubeast
03-31-2010, 08:21 PM
I hope that Hampton will be in shape for the next camp, although he now has his contract

steelerdude15
03-31-2010, 10:24 PM
Good news to hear! :thumbsup: I'm glad the Steelers got him back and hopefully he retires a Steeler! :tt02:

Galax Steeler
04-01-2010, 03:28 AM
Maybe this is a hint that he wants to be the nose tackle for the next few years and we won't have to draft one in the draft. Keep up the good work Casey.

Steelers>NFL
04-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Regardless of his condition or lack of, the guy flat out plays hard every down.
We don't have to worry about his playing motor. He'll be ready to play come opening game.

stillers4me
04-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Happy to have him signed and right where he belongs! :tt03:

SteelerFanInStl
04-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Good to hear! :tt03:

mulldog24
04-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Really glad to see Hampton working out with the team. I think we will see shades of a younger Hampton this season!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-01-2010, 08:16 AM
How can this be?? :jawdrop:

I thought to the masses of (alleged) Steeler Fans, the 5 time Pro Bowl NT was fat, lazy and had a poor work ethic.:noidea: I remember hearing he ALWAYS had weight and work ethic problems.

Good thing Hamp is a pro and he is a Steeler.

Steeldude
04-01-2010, 08:26 AM
...with the 6-1, 325-pounder’s...

yeah right

steelballs
04-01-2010, 09:09 AM
It's amazing the power a big fat new contract has on ones' motivation.
Do you think Casey would have been at these offseason workouts if he was franchised....I think not.

pete74
04-01-2010, 09:18 AM
You get alot of players like haynsworth who get lazy once they get the fat check so it's nice seeing Hampton out there busting his ass we need to find and draft his replacement asap because he dosnt have many years left unfortunatly and a NT is probably the most important position in a 3-4

CanadianSteel
04-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Way to go Big Snack.... run those sprints, and lift them weights.... and stay away from the fried chicken :)
Snack is still a force in the middle, and hoping he will have another solid season..

Steeldude
04-01-2010, 10:20 AM
wasn't their a weight clause or similar item in his new contract?

OX1947
04-01-2010, 01:15 PM
I love big snack. Glad he is back and hopefully he can play as well as he did last year and retire a Steelers from beginning to end. All time great steeler in my book.

Dylan
04-01-2010, 03:14 PM
for some reason i thought this was going to be some type of april fools joke

OneForTheToe
04-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Regardless of his condition or lack of, the guy flat out plays hard every down.
We don't have to worry about his playing motor. He'll be ready to play come opening game.

Absolutely true. He probably gives the most consistent effort on the entire defense.

However, I have to say that when I read the title of this thread I did wonder for a second whether there was a new restaurant, with an all you can eat buffet, named "Off season Workouts." :noidea:You know, that gives me an idea ....... :tap: :greedy:

Curtain_of_Steel
04-01-2010, 05:10 PM
fat and lazy and poor work ethic is just fine when you get 5 probowls.

He shoul dbe sitting home this week, lol Next thing we know he is showing up and getting hurt from over working those lazyass bones of his.

Just like LT, everyone bitched he doesnt show up to camp than he does and he is hurt and gone from SD.

Chidi29
04-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Excellent news. Glad to hear it.

Corey120120
04-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Absolutely true. He probably gives the most consistent effort on the entire defense.

However, I have to say that when I read the title of this thread I did wonder for a second whether there was a new restaurant, with an all you can eat buffet, named "Off season Workouts." :noidea:You know, that gives me an idea ....... :tap: :greedy:

ROFLMAO.
that is f-ing hilarious

Chidi29
04-01-2010, 07:55 PM
wasn't their a weight clause or similar item in his new contract?

Yes. $1 million, a nice chunk fo change if I do say so myself.

Psyychoward86
04-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Why is this such a hot topic lol? If you had two brain cells, you would understand that there's little reason to question Casey's work ethic.

mikegrimey
04-01-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm glad we resigned Hamp, he's still one of the top NT in the league and it gives us plenty of time to find a suitable replacement.

I thought he looked more athletic last year than he had in the previous two, hopefully that carries over to this season.

steelerdave1969
04-01-2010, 09:17 PM
I think that Hampton being here is he is trying to send a messege indeed to some like . . . Ziggy Hood who alot of folks have said could move over to NT and be good at it . . Ziggy or whoever it is trying to take snaps away from him is gonna have a battle on his hands when it comes to one of the Very Best at his position in the NFL.