PDA

View Full Version : Mock 2.0 (inspired by Rob Rang)

atlee731
04-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Just read Rob Rang's mock at nfldraftscout.com, and it makes sense to do Pouncey/Carrington at 1 and 2, so I figured I'd try to finish off the rest:

1. Maurkice Pouncey C Florida
2. Alex Carrington DE Arkansas State
3. John Jerry G Mississippi
4. Alterraun Verner CB UCLA
5a. Joe Webb WR UAB
5b. Nolan Carroll CB Maryland
5c. Arthur Moats OLB James Madison
6. Jim Dray TE Stanford
7a. Ramon Harewood OT Morehouse
7b. Alfonso Smith RB Kentucky

And I'd try to grab these guys as FAs:
David Nelson WR
Boris Lee ILB Troy

Thoughts?

pancake
04-03-2010, 02:34 AM
Steelers bring in two more mid round CB's... :doh:

I think we need Kyle Wilson, but that is just my opinion...

jollyrob68
04-03-2010, 06:07 AM
Pouncey in the 1st then its CB or Thaddeus Gibson in the 2nd and CB,LB or Toby G in the 3rd.

SteelerFanInStl
04-03-2010, 10:54 AM

:iagree: Exactly what we don't want. Why take Jerry in the 3rd when Pouncey will most likely start out at RG and we still have Urbik from last year? I also don't see a reason to take a DE in the 2nd after taking Ziggy first last year. We need depth there but it can be addressed later in the draft. I don't think that there's anything that I like about that draft.

St33lersguy
04-03-2010, 11:03 AM
No middle linebackers?

BKAnthem
04-03-2010, 04:56 PM

:iagree: Exactly what we don't want. Why take Jerry in the 3rd when Pouncey will most likely start out at RG and we still have Urbik from last year? I also don't see a reason to take a DE in the 2nd after taking Ziggy first last year. We need depth there but it can be addressed later in the draft. I don't think that there's anything that I like about that draft.

:thumbsup:

Aussie_steeler
04-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Just read Rob Rang's mock at nfldraftscout.com, and it makes sense to do Pouncey/Carrington at 1 and 2, so I figured I'd try to finish off the rest:

5a. Joe Webb WR UAB
6. Jim Dray TE Stanford

David Nelson WR
Boris Lee ILB Troy

Thoughts?

I actually like the direction you have taken.:thumbsup:

Pouncey is only young and will be a very good pro for the next 15 years. He wont play guard, he will go straight to center. Carrington at DE and Jerry at OG / OT swing man are both great picks IMO.

Not sure about Verner at #4 when you probably have a better CB in Carroll in the 5th.
I would swap Verner for a Safety, Nose Tackle or Linebacker.

I really love the Alfonso Smith pick at 7B. This one is a flyer ( which is what I believe the team needs - a change of pace back)

IMO good work

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-03-2010, 06:45 PM

5a. Joe Webb WR UAB
6. Jim Dray TE Stanford

David Nelson WR
Boris Lee ILB Troy

Thoughts?

Very good...I agree with Aussie about Verner...take Verner out and replace him with RB Anthony Dixon or RB LaGarrett Blount.

I'm also not sure if we will use a 5 on a WR and would consider an ILB like Jamar Chaney or Micah Johnson.

A player that I have been watching with some interest as a 7th rounder is FB Jameson Konz...he only played FB for one year but is 6'4 234 lbs and just ran a 4.43 at his pro day.

Psyychoward86
04-03-2010, 09:31 PM
You guys are way to concerned about drafting for need and not quality.

There's tons of hidden talent in the middle rounds, you kidding me? And give Lewis and Burnett a chance to pan out...

steelerdave1969
04-03-2010, 09:56 PM

5a. Joe Webb WR UAB
6. Jim Dray TE Stanford

David Nelson WR
Boris Lee ILB Troy

Thoughts?

I love the Pouncey and Jerry selections for sure. To be honest with ya I dont really care for the 2nd pick with DE Carrington, but who am I?... lol

atlee731
04-04-2010, 01:17 AM
Good thoughts (except for the one who didn't like anything about it)... thanks.

I agree with the thought that it's a deep defensive draft so spending an early pick on Pouncey vs Wilson and grabbing a CB later sits better. I do like Verner... he's been productive and made plays, even though he might not have the glistening numbers that some of the other guys have. Also, I think grabbing Carrington would bring in some more youth for the Dline, since Ziggy can't play on both ends. Lastly, bringing in competition at all the Oline spots would give us flexibility to get rid of marginal players and get back to opening some real holes (which Dray also helps with).

So, I modify to:
3. Sean Lee ILB Penn State
4. Mitch Petrus G Arkansas
5a. Alterraun Verner CB UCLA
6. Jim Dray TE Stanford

:helmet:

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-04-2010, 08:18 AM

I agree with the thought that it's a deep defensive draft so spending an early pick on Pouncey vs Wilson and grabbing a CB later sits better. I do like Verner... he's been productive and made plays, even though he might not have the glistening numbers that some of the other guys have. Also, I think grabbing Carrington would bring in some more youth for the Dline, since Ziggy can't play on both ends. Lastly, bringing in competition at all the Oline spots would give us flexibility to get rid of marginal players and get back to opening some real holes (which Dray also helps with).

So, I modify to:
3. Sean Lee ILB Penn State
4. Mitch Petrus G Arkansas
5a. Alterraun Verner CB UCLA
6. Jim Dray TE Stanford

:helmet:

Kudos for sticking to your guns...it shows that you have actually done some research instead of just randomly assigning players. Though I might not agree with all your picks (but then again, who am I)....I respect the work you put into it

SteelerFanInStl
04-04-2010, 10:43 AM

:sofunny: I disagreed with your picks and told you why. You asked for thoughts and I gave them. If you simply dismiss anyone who disagrees with you, you won't last long here.

atlee731
04-04-2010, 11:43 AM
If you simply dismiss anyone who disagrees with you, you won't last long here.

Isn't that how most people exist around here?

:hatsoff:

pancake
04-04-2010, 02:53 PM
You guys are way to concerned about drafting for need and not quality.

There's tons of hidden talent in the middle rounds, you kidding me? And give Lewis and Burnett a chance to pan out...

First off, I agree there is tons of hidden talent in the middle rounds, but for all positions. I am not calling for Lewis and Burnett to be cut, I just think we need a top notch CB while those two work on getting bettter. If Lewis works out then he could take over for Ike when his contract is up.

I think Kyle Wilson is quality and fits the need... IMO

SteelerFanInStl
04-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Isn't that how most people exist around here?

:hatsoff:

I don't think that someone who's only been a member since Feb '10 is qualified to make that kind of a statement. There are some people like that here but I would say that the majority are not. That's why I choose to frequent this Steeler forum instead of the others.

Aussie_steeler
04-04-2010, 05:01 PM
: I don't think that there's anything that I like about that draft.

Here is what I can find to like in the original draft.

Reason 1. Pouncey can and most likely will be the 2nd coming of Dermonti Dawson. Justin Hartwig is servicable and also on the downward path of his solid career. Pouncey would be the 2011 starter and only see limited action in 2010.

Reason 2. John Jerry would be awesome value to the steeler squad. As a OT / OG swing man he fits the job description for the steelers gameday backup for the O line. Ramon Foster currently fills that role on gameday with his ability to play LT, RT and OG. There is no real backup at RT behind Willie Colon so competition is needed at the OT position on this roster. The steelers usually show a strong desire to always bring in O lineman who can play multiple positions and John Jerry certainly fits that bill. They also very rarely start before the 3rd season . In 2012 an O line of Starks, Kemo, Pouncey, Urbik, Jerry would be more than acceptable.

Reason 3. Nolan Carroll is a great value pick. His stock has been devalued as the result of a broken leg but he is a strong CB with shutdown capacity and a desire to get in the mix and tackle. Represents great value if a CB is missed in the early rounds. I dont ever want to see another Ricardo Colclough type CB pick ever again.
Obviously the FO likes him enough to schedule an interview with him.

Reason 4. WIth a need to bring in at least two OLB's to provide some competition Arthur Moats is a very suitable candidate. Current depth at OLB is not great and some projects will be brought in. Moats, Tracy, Schofield etc etc will be exactly the type of player drafted late.

Reason 5. Alfonso Smith is a RB with good speed and plenty of upside. I wouldnt take a punt on a guy like this making it to the UDFA list so grabbing him at 7 is not a bad idea.

But according to Murphy's law - none of these players will ever be steelers now that I have pimped them.

atlee731
04-04-2010, 09:05 PM
I don't think that someone who's only been a member since Feb '10 is qualified to make that kind of a statement. There are some people like that here but I would say that the majority are not. That's why I choose to frequent this Steeler forum instead of the others.

Relax... it was a joke. I've actually been frequenting the site quite a bit but never bothered with an account. It's not necessarily a bad thing to have strong personalities, as long as they know what they're talking about.