PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Throw Parker Under the Bus

HayekHeroes
04-03-2010, 03:28 AM
The Bus raised him. Parker helped the steelers win two superbowls and he went to 2 pro bowls. He did not have the best of hands. He was a good back and the steelers need depth at that position.

Parker has not be charged with sexual assault, smoking MJ, or throwing drinks in women's faces. Ok. so he was upset about losing his starting job. Who wouldn't? I think the Steelers made a mistake in not trying to sign him for cheap. I'm sure the Redskin's paid minimum or a little above for a great guy and solid player.

MACH1
04-03-2010, 03:51 AM
Willie made his choice, live with it.

Galax Steeler
04-03-2010, 05:07 AM
I still say they have there eyes on someone in the draft.

solardave
04-03-2010, 06:04 AM
:coffee:Willie left on his own. HE DIDN'T want to be here.

SteelersJW
04-03-2010, 07:21 AM
A 1-year $3.1 million contract isn't minimum when you're not expecting the guy to carry the load. He'll be sharing time with Larry Johnson and Clinton Portis. This is just another example of the Redskins throwing money at old washed-up players.

SteelerFanInATL
04-03-2010, 09:41 AM
The Bus raised him. Parker helped the steelers win two superbowls and he went to 2 pro bowls. He did not have the best of hands. He was a good back and the steelers need depth at that position.

Parker has not be charged with sexual assault, smoking MJ, or throwing drinks in women's faces. Ok. so he was upset about losing his starting job. Who wouldn't? I think the Steelers made a mistake in not trying to sign him for cheap. I'm sure the Redskin's paid minimum or a little above for a great guy and solid player.

Too many times I was FWP hit the hole like he ran into a brick wall. That was even when our o-line had favor. The writing was on the wall. When you draft a #1 who was a steal where he was picked, it was obvious what would happen in the future. MM proved he can get the job done. Obviously the professionals know what they are doing. We have won two superbowls in recent years with olines below our standards and with a NON DRAFTED, FREE AGENT RUNNING BACK. I am sure they know something about our backs that allow us to have a solid group.

WH
04-03-2010, 09:51 AM
If they did in fact throw Parker under the bus, they put him back where they found him.

They gave him a chance, both parties came out on the plus side. If he wants to be salty he needs to remember that no one else was knocking at his door when the Steelers picked him up.

solardave
04-03-2010, 10:00 AM
If they did in fact throw Parker under the bus, they put him back where they found him.

They gave him a chance, both parties came out on the plus side. If he wants to be salty he needs to remember that no one else was knocking at his door when the Steelers picked him up.

AMEN!

Set-Man
04-03-2010, 10:12 AM
I had to write something after reading all the stuff about FWP.
In essence he was a great find by the Steelers. He WAS very fast and this was exploited by the decent offensive line he was running behind when he started. When he had a gap his speed exploited it. He wasn't a very instinctive runner as he seemed to often run into tackles instead of away from them.

If Mendenhall had a decent line to run behind, could you think how productive he could be? We are only 1, maybe 2, possibly 3 lineman (?4) away from that!

With injuries and a offensive line which is inferior Parker couldn't do anything. Please don't refer to the last game of the season as that was one game in a defense that was exhausted.

Did we throw him under the Bus? Heck no man! This is a business and his best years are way behind him. We should thank him for his contributions but to keep him is not only crazy but stupid.

The Steelers pride themselves in letting their vets go instead of trading them. Look at the Patriots who always get something for their vets. Look at what they did with Vrabel. He was such a big part of their team but they just shipped him off like it was nothing. Now we do not have to be the Patriots but there has to be a middle ground to rack up draft picks in which the team can be continually rebuilt.

just my opinion, of course...

Bubbabanjo
04-03-2010, 10:38 AM
He had to go...he was too bitter. Like Foote he will have to learn what he lost at home. Willie was a good Steeler back and we needed him. Had a lot of good years and one great one in the SB. Shame all sides couldnt come together. A smart man would have known backup is the perfect position when the legs start to show wear and a team needs you. Wille was never the smartest guy.....but seemed like a good guy. Will miss the big dummy. He may even do better at the skins if they have a better run block line.....ours kind of stinks right now.

SteelerEmpire
04-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Every Steeler has their time. Someday we'll be talking about Ben, Troy, Hines, etc... leaving... Its just the circle of life on the football field...

Psyychoward86
04-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Lol we threw him under the bus? We dont owe him anything. The NFL is a business to you know, and being football player in this league is A JOB. Sometimes you gotta move on.

SteelerFanInStl
04-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Said Open starter position between aging Clinton Portis , Grandmama Larry Johnson , you gotta expect Willie Parker to show up in camp and steal that starting job.

You seem to have forgotten that Willie hasn't been the same since the knee injury. I wish him the best but I don't see him taking that starting job. It looks like RBBC to me.

spyboots
04-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Willie, the Steelers gave you a chance when no one else even heard of you and your own college didn't even start you. (I don't think he should be bitter.)

RoethlisBURGHer
04-03-2010, 12:48 PM
Parker has seemed a bit bitter about losing his starting job since the season ended.

There were games where he didn't play. He didn't seem happy.

He got two Super Bowl rings and became a great football story, from not starting in college to being a starter in the NFL for a number of years.

He didn't want to be a backup in Pittsburgh and he knew that he wouldn't see $3M from the Steelers to be a backup. He didn't want to be here, he would have sat out for a season instead of "crawling back to the Steelers".

WH
04-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Every Steeler has their time. Someday we'll be talking about Ben, Troy, Hines, etc... leaving... Its just the circle of life on the football field...
I would bet anyone that Hines retires a Steeler. I definitely could be wrong, but i definitely feel like I'm right.

Psyychoward86
04-03-2010, 05:35 PM
I would bet anyone that Hines retires a Steeler. I definitely could be wrong, but i definitely feel like I'm right.

what a bold predicament he's 33 years old and has 4 years left on his contract :rolleyes:

rick723
04-03-2010, 05:49 PM
I had to write something after reading all the stuff about FWP.
In essence he was a great find by the Steelers. He WAS very fast and this was exploited by the decent offensive line he was running behind when he started. When he had a gap his speed exploited it. He wasn't a very instinctive runner as he seemed to often run into tackles instead of away from them.

If Mendenhall had a decent line to run behind, could you think how productive he could be? We are only 1, maybe 2, possibly 3 lineman (?4) away from that!

With injuries and a offensive line which is inferior Parker couldn't do anything. Please don't refer to the last game of the season as that was one game in a defense that was exhausted.

Did we throw him under the Bus? Heck no man! This is a business and his best years are way behind him. We should thank him for his contributions but to keep him is not only crazy but stupid.

The Steelers pride themselves in letting their vets go instead of trading them. Look at the Patriots who always get something for their vets. Look at what they did with Vrabel. He was such a big part of their team but they just shipped him off like it was nothing. Now we do not have to be the Patriots but there has to be a middle ground to rack up draft picks in which the team can be continually rebuilt.

just my opinion, of course...

Willie was my all time favorite player but he was lucky. Art Rooney was killing time on a friday night in NC and went to a HS game. Saw willie and ask if he was going to attend College. Willie sid yes and Art gave him a card and said if you DO NOT get drafted call me. Willie did not get drafted, called Art. Got a try out, Now owns a super bowl record. Please tell me how the one guy said we threw him under the bus? If Rooney doesn't say call. Willie is flipping burgers 40 miles from me in Clinton North Carolina.

Fire Haley
04-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Water under the bridge - time to move on.

I'd like to see what RB we draft.

WH
04-03-2010, 08:33 PM
what a bold predicament he's 33 years old and has 4 years left on his contract :rolleyes:
I'm sure there were many that thought Franco was going to retire a Steeler, and that Jerry Rice and Joe Montainya would retire a 49er

Psyychoward86
04-03-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm sure there were many that thought Franco was going to retire a Steeler, and that Jerry Rice and Joe Montainya would retire a 49er

pshhh, only way hines doesnt retire a Steeler is if he gets a freak injury that gets him cut during his contract and he still wants to play.

WH
04-04-2010, 04:27 AM
pshhh, only way hines doesnt retire a Steeler is if he gets a freak injury that gets him cut during his contract and he still wants to play.

If I said he was going to retire a Steeler for sure, and then he didn't, some hack on this message board would come back here dig it up during some obscure argument so they could say ''you were wrong'' (in a super nerdy voice)

steelerdave1969
04-04-2010, 04:59 AM
I Love you willie and Wish you all the luck in the world. Thank you for the years that you gave us to enjoy with the Steelers, the Greatest NFL Org of All-Time, and may God continue to Bless You
:hug:

Matty™
04-04-2010, 06:52 AM
If I said he was going to retire a Steeler for sure, and then he didn't, some hack on this message board would come back here dig it up during some obscure argument so they could say ''you were wrong'' (in a super nerdy voice)

the nerd would be right though lol :tt02:

LVSteelersfan
04-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Sorry Willie, but you were never that good of a running back. No instinct or cutback moves. Can't catch the ball worth doodoo. Sure you are fast (or were) but fast gets you nothing without some kind of instinct for finding holes when there are none. I loved the couple of years that you were good but that was more of other teams not realizing your speed at first than your ability as a RB. Once they figured out you ran straight ahead as fast as you could, it was easy to stop you behind the line of scrimmage more often than not. Having a bad offensive line doesn't help, but Mendenhall showed last year what a RB with instinct for finding holes is all about. Willie will be another one of those ex-Steelers that will fade away into anonymity on a lousy team. The Steelers FO made the right choice as usual. Sorry, but I will not miss you getting stopped two yards behind the LOS 90% of the time.

steelreserve
04-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Sorry Willie, but you were never that good of a running back. No instinct or cutback moves. Can't catch the ball worth doodoo. Sure you are fast (or were) but fast gets you nothing without some kind of instinct for finding holes when there are none. I loved the couple of years that you were good but that was more of other teams not realizing your speed at first than your ability as a RB. Once they figured out you ran straight ahead as fast as you could, it was easy to stop you behind the line of scrimmage more often than not. Having a bad offensive line doesn't help, but Mendenhall showed last year what a RB with instinct for finding holes is all about. Willie will be another one of those ex-Steelers that will fade away into anonymity on a lousy team. The Steelers FO made the right choice as usual. Sorry, but I will not miss you getting stopped two yards behind the LOS 90% of the time.

Are you my long-lost brother or something? I've rarely read anything that I so completely agree with on so many levels.

SteelerJay
04-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Parker would have been a great counter-punch to Mendenhall. The Steelers did not offer him a contract thinking no one would sign him and they would get him at about a mil/yr, appreciably less than he was asking.

They bargained themselves out of the running, so to speak. Then they try some damage control by saying he was 'bitter' about being the non-starter. Yet he signs with a team that has two other capable backs. Nevertheless, you can't win 'em all.

Last year they let Mcfadden sign with Arizona and paid the price in the secondary by putting too much pressure on Gay. Learning from that, this year, they realise the value of keeping the players they developed and re-sign Foote and Randle-El. Oh well, you live and you learn, sometimes too late but never without future benefit.

wootawnee
04-04-2010, 12:51 PM
The problem with Willie was, he didn't have an open mind.......Jerome used to try and explain things to him and he didn't want to listen to him cause he thought he knew it all.......He hated when Jerome tried to explain things to him........He also celebrated too much for making a 12 yard run..........That stuff gets old and holds a true champion back........Now Mendy gets up after a long run and keeps his mind in the game and on the next play with his teamates and coaches.........Going apeshit like Parker did only works if you are a power back......Cause all the energy is evolved around you ,like Jerome..........Whenever Parker went nuts after a run, he got out of sinc with the team , coaches and game plan.....Its great for the fans, but not for the game......He could have been so much better with a different attitude........
A pissed off running back only works if you are a powerback.......A posetive attitude for all others is required for greatness........All the greats were like that.......

steelerdude15
04-04-2010, 06:25 PM
I wonder when we'll get a "what round or what RB should we draft." :rolleyes:

Psyychoward86
04-04-2010, 06:32 PM
I wonder when we'll get a "what round or what RB should we draft." :rolleyes:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=49909

And why not? It should be addressed (if possible).

Mewelde Moore, Redman, Summers, or Vincent aren't the solution if Rashard goes on IR.

steelreserve
04-04-2010, 10:53 PM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=49909

And why not? It should be addressed (if possible).

Mewelde Moore, Redman, Summers, or Vincent aren't the solution if Rashard goes on IR.

Why isn't Moore? He did well when he filled that role before. I would've rather had him as the #2 guy over Parker anyway.

Summers ... well, I don't know what to expect, but I still have some hope for him. Redman and Vincent, not so much. I wouldn't be surprised to see us take a RB somewhere in the draft, but more like a project guy we hope we get lucky with. I don't think it's exactly an urgent need yet.

Hines0wnz
04-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Who will the Willie-haters move on to next? :noidea:

vasteeler
04-05-2010, 02:50 PM

back to Airens

steelreserve
04-05-2010, 09:01 PM

Who says we need to move on? I'll be perfectly happy continuing to point out how much Parker sucks as a member of the Redskins.

Psyychoward86
04-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Why isn't Moore? He did well when he filled that role before. I would've rather had him as the #2 guy over Parker anyway.

I agree with the vote of no confidence in Willie, but still as i said before, if you look back at Moore's campaign in '08, it was overrated. I'll analyze the games he started briefly:

@ Jaguars: 99 yards, 5.8 YPC, 3 catches. Good job, but against a bad defense
@ Bengals: 120 rush yards, 6 YPC, 3 total TD's. All right, i gotta give it to him right here. He owned face against perhaps the most underrated defense of the '08 season.
Giants: 84 rush yards, 4.4 YPC, and a TD. Sounds good right? Especially against one of the NFC's finest defenses? Those stats are deceiving, 32 of those yards came on a single TD run in the 1st quarter. The rest of the game, he got SHUTDOWN. I have that game recorded, and trust me, you'll forget that he's even in the game anymore after the 1st quarter.
Colts: 105 all purpose yards, 2 TD's. Sounds good, but half of those were rush yards where he averaged 2.4 YPC. And the colts had an awful defense as always.

Im not hating on Moore, but im just not all that confident in him. Besides, he accepted that he would have a limited role when he came here. DL, OL, S, CB, ILB, and OLB are areas of more pressing need for sure, but picking up a sleeper in the later rounds at RB wouldnt hurt. People didnt think we needed Rashard when we had Willie, and people didnt think the vikings needed Adrian Peterson when Chester Taylor was coming off of a 1,500 all-purpose yard season :noidea:

steelreserve
04-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Giants: 84 rush yards, 4.4 YPC, and a TD. Sounds good right? Especially against one of the NFC's finest defenses? Those stats are deceiving, 32 of those yards came on a single TD run in the 1st quarter. The rest of the game, he got SHUTDOWN. I have that game recorded, and trust me, you'll forget that he's even in the game anymore after the 1st quarter.
Colts: 105 all purpose yards, 2 TD's. Sounds good, but half of those were rush yards where he averaged 2.4 YPC. And the colts had an awful defense as always.

So ... what you're saying is, Moore has good games against shitty defenses, and if you just throw out the long runs, he's no good? Hmm, where have I heard that before?

(sorry, couldn't resist) :chuckle:

Im not hating on Moore, but im just not all that confident in him. Besides, he accepted that he would have a limited role when he came here. DL, OL, S, CB, ILB, and OLB are areas of more pressing need for sure, but picking up a sleeper in the later rounds at RB wouldnt hurt. People didnt think we needed Rashard when we had Willie, and people didnt think the vikings needed Adrian Peterson when Chester Taylor was coming off of a 1,500 all-purpose yard season :noidea:

I pretty much agree with that attitude. I wouldn't be thrilled with Moore as the #1 guy for the whole season either, but that's not what a backup is. You use him here and there, and hope he can fill in if needed. If the #1 running back is injured for, like, 10 games, most teams will have problems no matter what. Unless they're in a really fortunate position where they happen to have two great RBs or a guy who emerges by surprise, but like I said, that's mostly about being lucky. For a backup, Moore is pretty much as good as I'd hope for. But I agree, unless Summers shows us some reason he's made leaps and bounds, I wouldn't mind us taking a shot at someone to round out the depth chart. But we do have other needs in the high rounds unless we get a real steal.

fansince'76
04-06-2010, 01:09 AM
Wonder how UFN feels about the 'Skins' new RB....

MACH1
04-06-2010, 01:42 AM
Wonder how UFN feels about the 'Skins' new RB....

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k201/aubsmell/crazy_fat_kid.gif

:toofunny::toofunny:

Prok
04-06-2010, 06:56 AM
back to Airens

Hey some of us never left the Arians hating bandwagon. lol

Steely McSmash
04-06-2010, 01:09 PM
My 2cents is that I think Willie at the end of the season was fairly close to as good as he was in prior years.

Bottom line is that he was a good overall RB with great speed and limited everyting else.

I'd much rather have young guys in backup roles particularly like RB where there isn't a crazy amount of Dick LeBeau's playbook so they can improve and be future starters rather than wearing a sweatsuit off into the sunset.

Stlrs4Life
04-07-2010, 12:31 PM

$3 million a year is not cheap. And it was Willie that became fragile, don't act like the Steelers didn't appreciate what he has done while here. And since we had Fast Willie, we then had Fumble Willie, and then Fragile Willie.

MACH1
04-07-2010, 12:42 PM
$3 million a year is not cheap. And it was Willie that became fragile, don't act like the Steelers didn't appreciate what he has done while here. And since we had Fast Willie, we then had Fumble Willie, and then Fragile Willie.

And Can't catch a ball willie or One armed tackle willie.