PDA

View Full Version : McNabb to Redskins

Carolina Steelers
04-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Cant believe they traded him within the division they will see him twice a yr. WOW

Pittsburghfan
04-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Just showed this during tonight's baseball game. I was stunned.

Godfather
04-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Wow. I thought McNabb had a few good years left. This means he's washed up.

I'm just surprised Snyder didn't overpay for him.

stillers4me
04-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Maybe the Rooney's will punish Ben by trading him to Cleveland.

MasterOfPuppets
04-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Eagles trade Donovan McNabb to NFC East rival Redskins
08:24 PM

The Philadelphia Eagles traded Pro Bowl QB Donovan McNabb to their NFC East rivals, the Washington Redskins, on Sunday. Redskins coach Mike Shanahan confirmed the deal to USA TODAY's Jarrett Bell.

The Redskins will surrender a second-round pick this year (No. 37) and either a third- or fourth-round pick next year, Fox Sports and NFL.com reported.

McNabb has been the Eagles starter since 1999, when the club drafted him with the second overall pick. He brought the team to five NFC championship games and to Super Bowl XXXIX.

But Eagles coach Andy Reid said late last month that he was entertaining offers for all of his QBs -- including Kevin Kolb and Michael Vick. McNabb then said he wanted to remain with the Eagles, but whatever happened he wanted to move quickly.

Kolb, who filled in for McNabb in two starts last September, will become the Eagles' presumptive starter.

McNabb, 33, is entering the final year of his contract. -- Sean Leahy

wait a second... reed has said on several occassions., mcnabb WILL BE the starting qb for the eagles in 2010 ... wow...guess you can't believe anything you hear...unless of course its from the steeers...:noidea:

NEPAsteeler
04-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Maybe the Rooney's will punish Ben by trading him to Cleveland.

I was just thinking the same thing :chuckle:

Merchant
04-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Where did this come from? I had money on him going to Oakland aha

pepsyman1
04-04-2010, 08:11 PM
I've been a Steelers fan for the last 35 years, but I live just outside of Philadelphia and have had to deal with Eagles fans my whole life. They won't appreciate what they had until they see what they are stuck with. 82-45-1 record as a starter. There are more accurate passers in the league, but right at about 60% complete for his career and one of the lowest interception % of any starting QB ever......and they have NEVER liked him in Philly. Trading to a division rival no less. I can see him lighting the Eagles up, especially since the Redskins have a successful NFL coach at the reigns. By week 5 I assume the Boobirds will be looking for blood and bemoaning the loss of McNabb. Incredibly dumb move.

Aussie_steeler
04-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Minnesota will be kicking themselves. When Favre pulls the pin they will be left with not much.

Traded within your division to me is the ultimate insult. Your former owners are saying that they arent scared to face you twice a year.

X-Terminator
04-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Well, I guess it finally happened. There have been McNabb trade rumors for years, and now, finally, one actually comes to pass. But to a division rival? WTF??? You have to think this automatically makes the Redskins a playoff contender.

Psyychoward86
04-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Decent trade for the Skins, great trade for the Eagles.

MasterOfPuppets
04-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Well, I guess it finally happened. There have been McNabb trade rumors for years, and now, finally, one actually comes to pass. But to a division rival? WTF??? You have to think this automatically makes the Redskins a playoff contender.

jason campbell was hardly the biggest reason the skins sucked.

fansince'76
04-04-2010, 08:48 PM
jason campbell was hardly the biggest reason the skins sucked.

Yep. The owner was and nothing's changed there.

Godfather
04-04-2010, 08:52 PM
McNabb needs some targets. Where can Snyder find an old WR to overpay?

Ooooh...how about this guy?

http://thm-a01.yimg.com/nimage/35c1f865cf290932

JEFF4i
04-04-2010, 08:54 PM
I wouldn't be even slightly surprised if the Skins took T.O.

Do the Redskins know that players under 30 play in the NFL?

Nadroj 20
04-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Wow if TO went to the skins to reunited him with mcnabb?

That would be a ironic twist would it not? :chuckle:

Psyychoward86
04-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Wow if TO went to the skins to reunited him with mcnabb?

That would be a ironic twist would it not? :chuckle:

maybe he'll shock us yet and fire up a "that's my quarterback.." speech for him

BrandonCarr39
04-04-2010, 09:59 PM

I'm not going to imply the NFL is fixed, but this is a JOKE, IMHO - being traded to a divisional rival, you would think the Eagles would have gotten a ton of draft picks for this, right? I mean didn't the Cowboys get the KITCHEN SINK for HERSCHEL WALKER?? How the heck did the Eagles not take advantage of DAN SNYDER??

Make no mistake, however - Kolb is going to be very, very good - McNabb is very good, but Kolb is more suited for the WCO.

Godfather
04-04-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm not going to imply the NFL is fixed, but this is a JOKE, IMHO - being traded to a divisional rival, you would think the Eagles would have gotten a ton of draft picks for this, right? I mean didn't the Cowboys get the KITCHEN SINK for HERSCHEL WALKER?? How the heck did the Eagles not take advantage of DAN SNYDER??

Make no mistake, however - Kolb is going to be very, very good - McNabb is very good, but Kolb is more suited for the WCO.

No kidding. You'd think Snyder would have waited 5 more years and then traded 3 first rounders and 3 second rounders for McNabb.

steelreserve
04-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Traded within your division to me is the ultimate insult. Your former owners are saying that they arent scared to face you twice a year.

Actually, in this case, I think they're just saying they aren't scared to face the Redskins twice a year.

Normally, you'd be right. But trust me, they're still going to suck.

As a side note, I can't believe they would trade him for so little. Give up your starting QB for a second-round draft pick? I'd rather just hang on to him if that's the best anyone offered. Kolb looked OK, but I haven't seen anything to indicate he'll be that good. I wouldn't trust Vick with the starting job either. They must've really wanted McNabb out of there.

BrandonCarr39
04-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Actually, in this case, I think they're just saying they aren't scared to face the Redskins twice a year.

As a side note, I can't believe they would trade him for so little. Give up your starting QB for a second-round draft pick? I'd rather just hang on to him if that's the best anyone offered. Kolb looked OK, but I haven't seen anything to indicate he'll be that good. I wouldn't trust Vick with the starting job either. They must've really wanted McNabb out of there.

If the Eagles are going to have holes, it may be the OL - Shawn Andrews(probably the best OG ever) is finished and got cut, Jamaal Jackson tore his knee late last year and may not recover fully this year - again, they could have gotten more draft picks from the Skins to fix their OL. Or who knows? Maybe Reid and Banner know there are nuggets waiting in the latter rounds.

steelerdude15
04-04-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm extremely shocked by this news. He was by far, the best QB in Eagles history. Let's see all he's done, went to a SB, went to 5 NFC championship games, probably has the Eagles passing records, and let's not for get when McNabb played on a broken ankle.

JPPT1974
04-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Shows you how classless the Eagles organization for throwing McNabb under the bus!

steeldawg
04-04-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm extremely shocked by this news. He was by far, the best QB in Eagles history. Let's see all he's done, went to a SB, went to 5 NFC championship games, probably has the Eagles passing records, and let's not for get when McNabb played on a broken ankle.

Well it came down to money they just would of had to pay him way too much. and besides if you keep for another 2 years then you have to draft a qb high because mcnabb will be old and kolb will be old and vick will be old. so you would have to pay mcnabb a bunch your newly drafted qb a bunch and the money you paid kolb would have just been wasted. I know mcnabb was great for the eagles but this deal did make sense.

steelerohio
04-04-2010, 10:48 PM
A shocker for sure... I wouldn't trade within the division... unless the player really is not that great of a football player

Shea
04-05-2010, 12:23 AM
I've been a Steelers fan for the last 35 years, but I live just outside of Philadelphia and have had to deal with Eagles fans my whole life. They won't appreciate what they had until they see what they are stuck with. 82-45-1 record as a starter. There are more accurate passers in the league, but right at about 60% complete for his career and one of the lowest interception % of any starting QB ever......and they have NEVER liked him in Philly. Trading to a division rival no less. I can see him lighting the Eagles up, especially since the Redskins have a successful NFL coach at the reigns. By week 5 I assume the Boobirds will be looking for blood and bemoaning the loss of McNabb. Incredibly dumb move.

This is how I see it as well.

Not sure how the Skins will do this year, but they just got a hell of a lot better at the QB position.

OneForTheToe
04-05-2010, 12:33 AM
I hope McNabb torches the Eagles twice next year. Look, many say McNabb is overrated. Honestly, I can't argue with that assessment to an extent. Still, Philthy fans have never given McNabb his due for what he has done for their franchise. Four (or is it five) NFC Championship games and one Super Bowl appearance, while disappointing, is still worthy of some admiration. Besides, Andy Reid is the one calling 50 pass plays a game when he has Micheal Westbrook is his backfield.

ricardisimo
04-05-2010, 02:53 AM
I never thought I would be saying this in a million years, but here goes: I think Dan Snyder might be putting together a winning team.

Uggh... I feel dirty now.

SteelMusic
04-05-2010, 06:04 AM
My thoughts on the trade...

Actually, this is a great deal for both teams. McNabb can't win the big games in Philly. I think by trading him to a team like the Skins with low/no big expectations McNabb will be the leader a team like Washington is looking for. Also, Washington snagged up Willie Parker. I see what they are trying to build -- a team like the Pats with hungry, smart, veteran leaders.

The down side for the Skins is that McNabb hasn't proven that he can win the "big game" (playoffs or the Superbowl). However, I think if they build the right environment around his big headed ass, he can thrive and shock the naysayers (I hate McNabb).

Like him or not, McNabb is a weapon and I think that he will thrive in an atmosphere where he will be loved AND expected to play well, minus the relentless media bashing he received in Philly on a weekly basis.

Whatever the case may be, it was a division trade; one team will lose and one team will win big time.

I just hope that my boy Fast Willie gets to play an important role in the Offense. He didn't fit in well with the new scheme in the Burgh -- but make no mistake -- he is still a dangerous weapon. FWP just isn't the guy you want to be picking up short yardage or an every down back.

I see what the Skins are doing; Building a hungry, smart veteran team that may shock alot of people if they can stay healthy and play off of each other as a unit. Stay tuned folks, this could get interesting!

http://footballscores.me/mcnabb-win-both-teams-redskins-eagles

Galax Steeler
04-05-2010, 06:29 AM
Willie Parker and McNabb in Washington here come a superbowl.:rofl:

St33lersguy
04-05-2010, 07:25 AM
I didn't thnik McNabb was that bad of a QB, I think it was dumb they trade him within the division.

steeldawg
04-05-2010, 07:38 AM
They had to trade him to the skins he refused to talk with anyother team.

Bng_Hevn
04-05-2010, 07:38 AM
I hope McNabb torches the Eagles twice next year. Look, many say McNabb is overrated. Honestly, I can't argue with that assessment to an extent. Still, Philthy fans have never given McNabb his due for what he has done for their franchise. Four (or is it five) NFC Championship games and one Super Bowl appearance, while disappointing, is still worthy of some admiration. Besides, Andy Reid is the one calling 50 pass plays a game when he has Micheal Westbrook is his backfield.

Aren't you contradicting yourself there? On one hand you say McNabb took them to all the NFCCG and SB so he is responsible for the success and then you say that it is because Reid called 50 pass plays and didn't use Westbrook, implying that all the passing is why they choked in the big games.

You can't have it both ways. Macnabb is either your savior or your goat.

-----------
I never thought I would be saying this in a million years, but here goes: I think Dan Snyder might be putting together a winning team.

-------------

I think Shannahan has something to do with that. I'm sure they sat down and Snyder was "straightened" out. Afterall, how dumb do you have to be to try buying a team for 10+ years and fail miserably year after year and NOT wakeup.

I think Snyder is finally realizing that he needs to let football minds make football decisions.

GodfatherofSoul
04-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Wow, McNabb had a career like Marino did where the ownership expected him to win with crappy talent around him on offense (not the numbers mind you). They gave him a premier receiver just once and he went to the Super Bowl. McNabb is going to make all the Philly boobirds look like idiots in 2010.

Matty™
04-05-2010, 10:04 AM
wow that is a turn out for the books, Skins will be one to watch next year, still think their slow-ase O-Line will give up a ton of sacks, and we'll see DMac sidelined with an injury near the start of the season and the Redskins new look season go down the proverbial pan :)

Fire Haley
04-05-2010, 10:10 AM
LMAO at all the McNabb haters crying in Philly now. Andy Reid pinning all his hopes on Kolb sounds like a recipe for destruction.

I perdict they each will go 8-8, so this only makes the Cowboys path to the playoffs easier.

vasteeler
04-05-2010, 10:28 AM

i feel like i have said that for the last 10 years

Matty™
04-05-2010, 10:46 AM
LMAO at all the McNabb haters crying in Philly now. Andy Reid pinning all his hopes on Kolb sounds like a recipe for destruction.

I perdict they each will go 8-8, so this only makes the Cowboys path to the playoffs easier.

ah you forget resting all his hopes on...

Kolb....

and Vick :downspin:

XxKnightxX
04-05-2010, 11:03 AM
This only solidifies the redskins team wise and draft wise. Shannahan is going to load up on Offensive Line this year with their draft picks. They have a good and steady defense, a busy backfield, and a QB now. All the pieces are in the puzzle now. Idk about you guys buy this seems like a resemblance of what Shanny did with Elway back with the broncos. A great passing QB with running game. So what do you do? Build a backfield and offensive line, add a steady running game, and let your QB lead the team. I dont expect the perfect season for the Skins, but theyre going to a tough out .

fansince'76
04-05-2010, 11:29 AM
I don't understand all the Shanahan fluffing in this thread. After Elway retired in 1999, the Broncos managed to win one playoff game in the subsequent decade and missed the playoffs entirely in Shanahan's last 3 years on the sideline. A big reason for that was that Shanahan was also calling the shots in regards to personnel for the Broncos (very close to his new situation in Washington) and he failed pretty badly in that regard.

XxKnightxX
04-05-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't understand all the Shanahan fluffing in this thread. After Elway retired in 1999, the Broncos managed to win one playoff game in the subsequent decade and missed the playoffs entirely in Shanahan's last 3 years on the sideline. A big reason for that was that Shanahan was also calling the shots in regards to personnel for the Broncos (very close to his new situation in Washington) and he failed pretty badly in that regard.

Yeah Ill give you that one, he was getting too much power and it was starting to overwhelm him. But he has a Gm that will handle the load when the real football starts so he wont have to worry about that. And Im not fluffing him as an almighty coach, but the guy can coach and develop nobodies into somebodies. He also didnt have much success because of a horrid defense and unsormounting injuries to the team. Didnt he have one player against the falcons play Fullback , Running Back, and Middle linebacker in one game? Oh yeah and he was a rookie. And you look at the current Broncos team and see how many of those werent Shannahans players. Just sayin

EDIT: Let me also add, He had Jake the Snake as his QB, trying to fill in the shoes of John Elway, this time he has Donovan McNabb. Big difference in QBs.

fansince'76
04-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Let me also add, He had Jake the Snake as his QB, trying to fill in the shoes of John Elway, this time he has Donovan McNabb. Big difference in QBs.

Yes, but one of Shanahan's claims to fame (before Brian Griese and Plummer anyway), was that he was a whiz at coaching up QBs. Turned out that reputation was due more to coaching the likes of Steve Young and Elway than any special acumen he had as a coach. Guy's overrated as a HC, IMO.

XxKnightxX
04-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Yes, but one of Shanahan's claims to fame (before Brian Griese and Plummer anyway), was that he was a whiz at coaching up QBs. Turned out that reputation was due more to coaching the likes of Steve Young and Elway than any special acumen he had as a coach. Guy's overrated as a HC, IMO.

Yeah I see youre point on that one, I guess it was that media hype. I can see him being credited for coaching Steve Young, but Elway was a legendary QB before Shannahan became HC. He just made a better supporting cast for Elway with a stout defense and one of the most potent ground games around. He is an overrated coach if you try to compare him to the greats like Cowher and Walsh , but before he can straighten out the Skins roster, He managed to straighten out the owner, and thats a HUGE move on his end. Hes a definitely better upgrade over Zorn, and to be honest, I really didnt see Shannahan as a great QB whiz, same went for Gruden and Holmgren descendants and Gruden had Gannon who was already good, and Reid had oh yeah, McNabb. Theyre good at coaching the greats, but idk about turning 5th string practice squad backups into elites. I always saw Shannahan for being able to outsmart his opponent scheme wise rather than athletically wise.

fansince'76
04-05-2010, 01:23 PM
He managed to straighten out the owner, and thats a HUGE move on his end.

That's a great point. If he really can get Snyder to back off over the long run, that would be a huge step towards righting the ship in itself. And Shanahan is the best coach the 'Skins have had not named Gibbs in a while. I've always felt Shanahan was a good coach, just not a great one.

Matty™
04-05-2010, 02:50 PM
This only solidifies the redskins team wise and draft wise. Shannahan is going to load up on Offensive Line this year with their draft picks. They have a good and steady defense, a busy backfield, and a QB now. All the pieces are in the puzzle now. Idk about you guys buy this seems like a resemblance of what Shanny did with Elway back with the broncos. A great passing QB with running game. So what do you do? Build a backfield and offensive line, add a steady running game, and let your QB lead the team. I dont expect the perfect season for the Skins, but theyre going to a tough out .

I find their Defense to be very inconsistent personally, and even loading up on O-Line picks won't see McNabb protected to that much better a degree,

I think the Skins will not even win their Division let alone go anywhere in the playoffs

vasteeler
04-05-2010, 03:31 PM
I find their Defense to be very inconsistent personally, and even loading up on O-Line picks won't see McNabb protected to that much better a degree,

I think the Skins will not even win their Division let alone go anywhere in the playoffs

maybe not this year.Mcnabb is a good quarter back. I also think he has a few years in him.I think Shannahan is good enough to to build a good team and if Snyder keeps his nose out of it.I can see the redskins being real good in the next few years.

Psyychoward86
04-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Wow, McNabb had a career like Marino did where the ownership expected him to win with crappy talent around him on offense (not the numbers mind you). They gave him a premier receiver just once and he went to the Super Bowl. McNabb is going to make all the Philly boobirds look like idiots in 2010.

Are. You. Kidding. Philidelphia has had a wealth of talent during his reign, not just on offense, but on defense (except the wide receivers, yeah you're right on that). Jim Johnson has consistently made Philly one of the better defenses in the league to get Mcnabb the ball back, and Philly has an awesome O-line, and you can't forget about Westbrook, he really took the load off of his shoulders.

McNabb's problem is that he's a choke, a tease to the entire Eagles fanbase. All of you McNabb fans have to put yourselves in the Eagles fans' shoes: How would you feel if Ben put up #'s like last year and always lost when it mattered most (A Championship game, the superbowl), not once, but 5 times. Food for thought :noidea:

XxKnightxX
04-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Are. You. Kidding. Philidelphia has had a wealth of talent during his reign, not just on offense, but on defense (except the wide receivers, yeah you're right on that). Jim Johnson has consistently made Philly one of the better defenses in the league to get Mcnabb the ball back, and Philly has an awesome O-line, and you can't forget about Westbrook, he really took the load off of his shoulders.

McNabb's problem is that he's a choke, a tease to the entire Eagles fanbase. All of you McNabb fans have to put yourselves in the Eagles fans' shoes: How would you feel if Ben put up #'s like last year and always lost when it mattered most (A Championship game, the superbowl), not once, but 5 times. Food for thought :noidea:

We would of kept on Cheering for our team and try to make the best out of whats given to us. Oh wait didnt we do that with Odonell and Kordell Stewart? Excellent Defenses , Ball Hogging and time consuming running games, and we constantly lost when it mattered the most. We were and probably still are pissed, but we went on and cheered for the same damn team the year following.

And didnt McNabb lose most of those NFC championships because of garbage receiving corps and no supporting cast and the constant fact that Reid is a 60/40 pass run type of guy. Just remember the one year he did go to the Big Dance he had a dramatic but talented receiver and he ended up going against cheaters*.

And As talented as that defense is, it wasnt talented nor dominant when they went against the playoff virgin Cards. They shit a brick in that game and couldnt sack totempole warner. I didnt see Peyton being traded or bashed for constantly losing and trying to make its team win.

But one point that is worth arguing is that maybe seeing all these other elite QBs wint the big one and McNabb still hasnt brought them to the promise land might of gotten them impatient and dumped him to the foreskins. Expect a lot of motivation from McNabb this season.

OneForTheToe
04-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Aren't you contradicting yourself there? On one hand you say McNabb took them to all the NFCCG and SB so he is responsible for the success and then you say that it is because Reid called 50 pass plays and didn't use Westbrook, implying that all the passing is why they choked in the big games.

You can't have it both ways. Macnabb is either your savior or your goat.

-----------

-------------

I think Shannahan has something to do with that. I'm sure they sat down and Snyder was "straightened" out. Afterall, how dumb do you have to be to try buying a team for 10+ years and fail miserably year after year and NOT wakeup.

I think Snyder is finally realizing that he needs to let football minds make football decisions.

Could you point out where I used the word, or implied in any way, that I thought McNabb was a savior? Nor do I think he has to be either a savior or goat. Like most players, McNabb is between the two extremes somewhere. I'm simply stating that Philly fans don't appreciate what McNabb did accomplish (which was more than many teams but less than the best). Also, I think many of the failures that Philly did have can be traced to Andy Reid's play calling, Andy Reid has admitted as much in the past, when he has, at least temporarily, turned over play calling duties to other coaches.

Psyychoward86
04-05-2010, 09:33 PM
We would of kept on Cheering for our team and try to make the best out of whats given to us. Oh wait didnt we do that with Odonell and Kordell Stewart? Excellent Defenses , Ball Hogging and time consuming running games, and we constantly lost when it mattered the most. We were and probably still are pissed, but we went on and cheered for the same damn team the year following.

Eagle fans have always cheered their team. Just not McNabb. Steeler fans did the same, except with Stewart and O'Donnell

tony hipchest
04-05-2010, 11:52 PM

Make no mistake, however - Kolb is going to be very, very good - McNabb is very good, but Kolb is more suited for the WCO.only the patriots could secure that type of trade nowadays. infact all trades seem pretty much undervalued in todays market unless it is the patriots raking some poor team like the raiders or seahawks over the coals.

snyder is paying allen/shanahan handsomely to see he isnt taken advantage of anymore.

i agree that kolb will be good.

As a side note, I can't believe they would trade him for so little. Give up your starting QB for a second-round draft pick? I'd rather just hang on to him if that's the best anyone offered. Kolb looked OK, but I haven't seen anything to indicate he'll be that good. I wouldn't trust Vick with the starting job either. They must've really wanted McNabb out of there.kolb pretty much gave an ultimatum if he wasnt made the starter this year. while we may not have seen anything on sundays (other than his record two 300+ yd games in his first two starts) we have no idea what is seen in practices and inside the locker room.

there is absolutely nothing that suggests kolb cant achieve the success that the likes of warner, schaub, mcnair, hasselbeck, rodgers, or even brady has.

if he were anything near a bust or just a mediocre qb, i think he would be competing with jp losman, brian brohm, tavaris jackson, or jason campbell, for a job by now.

pepsyman1
04-06-2010, 02:27 AM

Everyone wants to put all the blame on McNabb. I will readily admit that he's played poorly in some of those games, but no one ever bothers to mention that in those playoff losses Jimmy Johnson's vaunted defense got shredded most of the time. McNabb has 7 playoff losses and the Eagles gave up over 25.5 points on average in those games. Eagle fans are gonna have a rough season or two.

Venom
04-06-2010, 05:37 AM
I still cant believe the Eagles traded McNabb inside their own division. Atleast when Bill Belichick traded away Drew Bledsow from the Pariots to the Bills , he got a first round draft choice. :noidea:

steelreserve
04-06-2010, 09:06 AM
kolb pretty much gave an ultimatum if he wasnt made the starter this year. while we may not have seen anything on sundays (other than his record two 300+ yd games in his first two starts) we have no idea what is seen in practices and inside the locker room.

there is absolutely nothing that suggests kolb cant achieve the success that the likes of warner, schaub, mcnair, hasselbeck, rodgers, or even brady has.

if he were anything near a bust or just a mediocre qb, i think he would be competing with jp losman, brian brohm, tavaris jackson, or jason campbell, for a job by now.

No, there's nothing to show he's a bust, but he's still an unproven QB, which I guess is what I'm trying to say. If you're trying to make a run at a Super Bowl, which the Eagles seemed like they were, making a QB switch when the old QB was doing fine is kind of unusual, is all. Especially when you have unlimited money for a year and get nothing in return.

A guy who's played in like, 10 career games with a 68 QB rating is in no position to be issuing ultimatums. He had a year left on his contract and so did McNabb. That would've been the smarter time to make the move if you ask me.

Basically, it seems to me like the Eagles decided to roll the dice just for the hell of it, because the payoff sure wasn't very good.

Bng_Hevn
04-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Could you point out where I used the word, or implied in any way, that I thought McNabb was a savior? Nor do I think he has to be either a savior or goat. Like most players, McNabb is between the two extremes somewhere. I'm simply stating that Philly fans don't appreciate what McNabb did accomplish (which was more than many teams but less than the best). Also, I think many of the failures that Philly did have can be traced to Andy Reid's play calling, Andy Reid has admitted as much in the past, when he has, at least temporarily, turned over play calling duties to other coaches.

That's why I started with "Aren't you contradicting yourself". Now, admittedly, I did continue as though you were.

Here is why I said that.

"....
I hope McNabb torches the Eagles twice next year. Look, many say McNabb is overrated.

Honestly, I can't argue with that assessment to an extent.

Still, Philthy fans have never given McNabb his due for what he has done for their franchise.

Point 1
Four (or is it five) NFC Championship games and one Super Bowl appearance, while disappointing, is still worthy of some admiration.

Point 2
Besides, Andy Reid is the one calling 50 pass plays a game when he has Micheal Westbrook is his backfield.
...."

You make a statement in Point 1 and then, with the word "besides", contradict that statement in Point 2.

Now, I'm no English major but to make a supporting statement, continue with "besides" and follow that with an "excuse" that justifies the opposite of your "supported statement" sounds like contradiction to me.

But I guess I may have misread it.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-06-2010, 12:36 PM
That's why I started with "Aren't you contradicting yourself". Now, admittedly, I did continue as though you were.

Here is why I said that.

"....
I hope McNabb torches the Eagles twice next year. Look, many say McNabb is overrated.

Still, Philthy fans have never given McNabb his due for what he has done for their franchise.

Point 1
Four (or is it five) NFC Championship games and one Super Bowl appearance, while disappointing, is still worthy of some admiration.

Point 2
Besides, Andy Reid is the one calling 50 pass plays a game when he has Micheal Westbrook is his backfield.
...."

You make a statement in Point 1 and then, with the word "besides", contradict that statement in Point 2.

Now, I'm no English major but to make a supporting statement, continue with "besides" and follow that with an "excuse" that justifies the opposite of your "supported statement" sounds like contradiction to me.

I think you did misread it.

McNabb lead the Eagles to 5 NFC Championship Games, and one Super Bowl. However, Eagles fans have never liked or appreciated McNabb. He was booed when the Eagles chose him in the 1999 Draft. He has been booed and berated for years and years in Philly.

Eagles fans lay the failures of the Eagles at the feet of McNabb. Their defense crapped the bed in some of those losses. He was never given an elite receiving option until his one season with Owens, their Super Bowl season.

Reid would call 60+ pass plays a game, putting the entire load on McNabb's back with subpar receivers to throw to. The defense would play below their standards. Westbrook wouldn't be used at all.

But in the end, the Eagles fans just blamed McNabb because his receivers dropped the balls, ran a wrong route, went out of bounds on 3rd and 5 with a yard to go for a first down.

Hell, they blamed McNabb for not running Westbrook enough.

ricardisimo
04-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Everyone wants to put all the blame on McNabb. I will readily admit that he's played poorly in some of those games, but no one ever bothers to mention that in those playoff losses Jimmy Johnson's vaunted defense got shredded most of the time. McNabb has 7 playoff losses and the Eagles gave up over 25.5 points on average in those games. Eagle fans are gonna have a rough season or two.

True. Ben played like crap in XL, but we still won. Sometimes the team has to win it, not the QB. Sometimes, as in most of the time, actually.

AllD
04-06-2010, 03:13 PM
With the Skins signing FWP and LArry Johnson and then trading for McNabb, "they are poised to dominate 2006."

OneForTheToe
04-06-2010, 10:32 PM

Here is why I said that.

"....

Point 1

Point 2
...."

I guess we will have to leave it at that, because I still don't see how those two statements contradict each other. I'm intending in the first statement that fans don't give McNabb his due for getting the Eagles as far as he has. In the second statement, I'm just alluding to the fact that Reid puts the pressure on McNabb to win the games practically himself by calling 50 pass plays a game. Thus, McNabb should get some credit from Philly fans for getting the team as far as he has, given the demands and limitations of running a one-dimensional offense. Maybe I should have said, in addition, rather than besides, but my editor was off work that day.

As I said, no big deal. We will just have to disagree and move on.

BrandonCarr39
04-07-2010, 10:15 PM

The reason why the Eagles were so successful early on was b/c their NFCE division was incredibly weak - Jerry Jones was still in full control from head on down to every play call on the sidelines, ditto Dan Snyder in Washington, and the Giants were getting old and didn't have the other Manning brother yet.

But then Jones/Snyder get their heads on straight and hired REAL coaches to build back their teams(Parcells and Gibbs - yes, they were over the hill, but they overhauled those respected teams' rosters for the long haul and made them competitive again), and Eli opened up a long window for the Giants, and more talent came along with it.

Result? The Eagles ended up getting their hands up to their eyeballs with competitiveness, and have fallen back little by little. Even WITH that weak NFCE, they ended up getting exposed by the BETTER teams in the NFC late in the playoffs. It's no surprise that they haven't had nearly the success since that Super Bowl appearance.

The only reason why they sniffed the playoffs in 2008 was b/c Tampa choked against a very bad Oakland team, Dallas had TO wrecking their locker room(and was removed from the team weeks after the season was over), and Chicago choked in their last game as well. Otherwise, Reid and McNabb would have been gone LAST year.(but they ended up getting a free ride to the NFCCG b/c they played Minny with no QB, and the Giants when they were in disarray)

To Andy Reid's credit, he's opened up another window on this team - they have a very young OL/DL, 2 big playmaking receivers in Jackson and Maclin(and Avant has great hands), a Jason Witten-like TE in Brent Celek, LeSean McCoy will likely be their next Brian Westbrook, Eldra Buckly has Marion Barber-potential, and they have a very fine secondary even with the loss of Sheldon Brown. Although their LB corps is either coming off of injury or has holes.

They should be competitive this year - honestly, I can see them winning the NFCE again. The Redskins, despite getting McNabb, have too many holes, especially on the OL.(they may win 8-9 games with McNabb) The Cowboys were awfully lucky to go injury-free last year, ain't gonna happen this year(and members of that team are ageing), plus they have holes at S and OL. I think the Giants could take the NFCE too, and it could come down to week 17 to decide this division b/w the Eagles and Giants.

Edit: The Eagles also got Bobby April, one of the best special teams coaches in the league. Not only will Jackson really shine on punt returns, but their ST coverage will improve quite a bit.