PDA

View Full Version : Have Scrambling QB's Lost Their Appeal?

Matty™
04-06-2010, 05:03 AM
Was just thinking about it over on another forum and wondering what you lads thought.

Obviously there are still a number of scrambling QB's active but it seems the amount of times they run the ball depletes with each game that passes.

Personally I think the risk of injury is a big factor with Coaches not wanting to risk their QB's legs.

What do you think?

steelreserve
04-06-2010, 09:58 AM
I think Michael Vick pretty much singlehandedly showed us why being an "athletic" quarterback doesn't work in the NFL. You've got to actually be a good passer first, THEN you can worry about scrambling.

Bng_Hevn
04-06-2010, 04:20 PM
You say "scrambling QB", I think the majority of the QBs are able to scramble. So do you mean running QBs? Or athletic QBs?

Athletic QBs would be a hot commodity....if they can pass the ball well. Who wants a QB that can run but can't read a defense?

Speed = big $$$$$. If you can flat out run, doesn't really make a difference if you can pass. Really. If another QB came out who could put KS and MV to shame in running, they would be drafted high the 1st, easily.

vasteeler
04-06-2010, 04:45 PM
its seems to me coaches are realizing that running qb's to date havent been real accurate and cant read defenses

Psyychoward86
04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
The only good scrambling QB's do the following:

1) Look to pass before running

2) Throw accurately while on the run

Big Ben and Aaron Rodgers come to mind.

steeldawg
04-06-2010, 07:12 PM
The problem has been defenses are too good theses days and they will take that scramble option away forcing a qb to beat them with there arm.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Here's the thing, lately all those QB's who can run and run and run.....they can't read a defense or throw the ball very well.

Kordell Stewart, Vince Young, and Michael Vick are perfect examples of that.

Matty™
04-07-2010, 03:25 AM
Here's the thing, lately all those QB's who can run and run and run.....they can't read a defense or throw the ball very well.

Kordell Stewart, Vince Young, and Michael Vick are perfect examples of that.

I thought in his rookie season Young read Defenses very well, even towards the end of last year he seemed to be able to read an opposition defense and react accordingly.

Galax Steeler
04-07-2010, 04:26 AM
I think alot of time they set there mind on running and start looking for open lanes instead of looking for a open receiver. I like a quarterback who can sit in the pocket or scramble outside the pocket like Ben.

Psyychoward86
04-07-2010, 06:41 PM
The problem has been defenses are too good theses days and they will take that scramble option away forcing a qb to beat them with there arm.

It has nothing to do with the defenses. If anything, it's always becoming harder and harder to play defense because all of these stupid rule changes, particularly rules that are giving QB's a higher completion percentage. Mobile QB's used to be pretty close to a necessity a long time ago because it was much harder to pass than it is now.

Roger Staubach, Fran Tarkenton, and Terry Bradshaw can tell you all about that.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-09-2010, 11:53 PM
It has nothing to do with the defenses. If anything, it's always becoming harder and harder to play defense because all of these stupid rule changes, particularly rules that are giving QB's a higher completion percentage. Mobile QB's used to be pretty close to a necessity a long time ago because it was much harder to pass than it is now.

Roger Staubach, Fran Tarkenton, and Terry Bradshaw can tell you all about that.

Those guys could also get it done through the air though.

I think Young could end up being very good if not great. I think he's finally showing it, he showed it last season when he replaced Collins. Now he just has to do it in consecutive seasons, he hasn't done that yet in the NFL.

Psyychoward86
04-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Those guys could also get it done through the air though.

I think Young could end up being very good if not great. I think he's finally showing it, he showed it last season when he replaced Collins. Now he just has to do it in consecutive seasons, he hasn't done that yet in the NFL.

yeah but they had to be able to run. It was a lot harder to pass the ball back then.

Gnutella
04-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Running QBs lost their appeal to me once the Kordell Stewart era came to an end.

Psyychoward86
04-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Running QBs lost their appeal to me once the Kordell Stewart era came to a start

FYP

RoethlisBURGHer
04-10-2010, 07:14 PM
yeah but they had to be able to run. It was a lot harder to pass the ball back then.

They had to be able to run for a different reason than today's scramblers. Back then, those guys had to be able to run because there were few rules for the defenses to follow.

Mike Vick, Kordell Stewart, and at least in his rookie season Vince Young had to run because they were mediocre passers at best, having an excellent game throwing the ball every once in a while.

Psyychoward86
04-10-2010, 08:33 PM
They had to be able to run for a different reason than today's scramblers. Back then, those guys had to be able to run because there were few rules for the defenses to follow.

um that's exactly what i said...