PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Walmart/Super Walmart in their small community?

NEPAsteeler
04-06-2010, 11:35 PM
I live in a small community in the northeastern part of Pennsylvania (hence my name, lol). It was just approved tonight to rezone an area from "light industrial" to "commercial" to build a Super Walmart. The new Walmart will be located in Exeter, PA. Maybe some of you have heard of this going on, and I know this certainly isn't the first time Walmart has tried to build a store in a small community. Now keeping in mind, this area already has two, yes two, Super Walmarts, each within about 5-10 minutes of where the new one will be built. I simply do not see the need for a third one, especially in such a small area filled with "mom and pop" shops. Am I against Walmart in general? No. But I really think they need to stay away from small towns. Welcome to America I guess. Anything to make money.

Here's the story in one of our local papers... http://www.timesleader.com/news/Exeter-council-says-yes-to-Wal-Mart.html

MACH1
04-06-2010, 11:45 PM
They basically done the same thing here. We have three of them within a 50 mile radius(2 super) in three different towns. It really hasn't affected the small "mom and pop" stores to much. Me, personally prefer the smaller stores, makes it easier to get in and get out, guy thing. And the prices are pretty much the same.

Shea
04-07-2010, 12:11 AM
I use to work for a major supermarket chain in California and the Wal-Mart chain is one example of a catastrophic developement to the health of the unionized grocery industry, and will ultimately be the death of it.

They'll continue to pop-up everywhere because they offer a product that is cheaper to the public due to the low wages and lack of benefits that they provide for their employees.

It's a no win situation except for the consumer and that's all it takes for it to fly.

MACH1
04-07-2010, 12:18 AM
I use to work for a major supermarket chain in California and the Wal-Mart chain is one example of a catastrophic developement to the health of the unionized grocery industry, and will ultimately be the death of it.

They'll continue to pop-up everywhere because they offer a product that is cheaper to the public due to the low wages and lack of benefits that they provide for their employees.

It's a no win situation except for the consumer and that's all it takes for it to fly.

damn those greedy evil capitalists.

Shea
04-07-2010, 12:29 AM
damn those greedy evil capitalists.

Yep, thousands of hard-working people would express that exact sentiment.

tony hipchest
04-07-2010, 12:36 AM
we have a super wal-mart (which probably has as much floorspace as our only mall).

when they moved in we had 4 grocery stores- smiths, albertsons, and local IGA and big-8. the only one remaining is the locally owned ma and pa iga who sold out to Lowes (who relocated to the abandoned smiths building).

the original wal mart building (before "supersizing") has sat abandoned for over 10 years and it was less than 10 years old. the 7 year old albertsons building was tore down to build a walgreens and hastings.

super walmart kicked sears out of town, and just about did the same to k-mart when they were facing bankruptcy.

we used to have a butcher shop with locally grown NM beef. now all our shit is processed and imported from canada, mexico, and even some parts of the US.

so anyways, i get all my produce and meat from lowes (cheaper and better) and everything else from wal-mart.

home improvement giants lowes and home depot have also moved in (across the street from eachother) and done the exact same thing. while its good for the consumer, it has put about all other long time homebuilder sites out of business, and like wal mart, the workers are left high and dry and easilly replacable.

MACH1
04-07-2010, 12:46 AM
so anyways, i get all my produce and meat from lowes (cheaper and better)

Doesn't it taste like sawdust?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
04-07-2010, 01:00 AM
actually im suprised niether has gone out of business due to the confusion.

oh, and we cant buy a live lobster in our town. only boxed and frozen. and when they have them, a pound of king crab legs is $23 at lowes on ice, or $15 (pre-packaged) at wal-mart- although on sale for $11 a coupla months ago.

MACH1
04-07-2010, 01:12 AM
actually im suprised niether has gone out of business due to the confusion.

oh, and we cant buy a live lobster in our town. only boxed and frozen. and when they have them, a pound of king crab legs is $23 at lowes on ice, or $15 (pre-packaged) at wal-mart- although on sale for $11 a coupla months ago.

They sell those things live?

I think costco had some live one's at one time, but I was there for the case of top ramen. :chuckle:

SteelCityMom
04-07-2010, 01:17 AM

I think costco had some live one's at one time, but I was there for the case of top ramen. :chuckle:

They used to. Most supermarkets do not anymore though, not sure why. That used to be the main attraction for me as a kid though when we'd go grocery shopping.

SteelCityMom
04-07-2010, 01:20 AM
I shake my head every time I see Wal-Marts so close together. I just don't see the point. I also must say I despise the store. The prices are sometimes better, but I try to avoid it like the plague, especially on a Friday or Saturday night. It's like a zoo for humans.

MACH1
04-07-2010, 01:22 AM
They used to. Most supermarkets do not anymore though, not sure why. That used to be the main attraction for me as a kid though when we'd go grocery shopping.

We used to have a chinese restaurant that had one of those big giant tanks right by the front door when you walked in. Never bought one though.

tony hipchest
04-07-2010, 01:24 AM

"lucky"...

super wal mart only sells the 12 packs. i cant even imagine the ammount of noodles i could make with an entire case.

i could go into business and open our only chinese food joint. :laughing:

Matty™
04-07-2010, 04:24 AM
get the same with Tesco here in the UK

we have three in Redditch, bloody three maybe even four it's simply madness

Galax Steeler
04-07-2010, 04:32 AM

Gotta love them noodles.

WH
04-07-2010, 04:46 AM
http://www.walmartmovie.com/

Wal-Mart sucks, and costs taxpayers Millions.

Galax Steeler
04-07-2010, 04:59 AM

Agreed no love lost here for Wal-Mart.

NEPAsteeler
04-07-2010, 08:23 AM

You can still get them alive in my town. It's pretty cool actually.

NEPAsteeler
04-07-2010, 08:30 AM
My concern is that we have a little shopping center that has about 20 stores in it. It's been here since about the 60s or 70s. Unfortunately, every store that's in this center sells stuff that can be found in Walmart. This shopping center has been the main artery for our town for as long as it's been here and I'm afraid Walmart is going to ruin it for us.

Vincent
04-07-2010, 09:50 AM
I try to avoid it like the plague, especially on a Friday or Saturday night. It's like a zoo for humans.

Wallyworld is probably a good place to "get" the plague, especially on weekends. :wtf: :horror: However, with that said, and assuming you have been inoculated, Wallyworld is an exciting venue for, er, "offbeat" entertainment. http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Our closest Wallyworld is a spot of serious concern though. Not surprisingly, while English is the "preferred" language, it isn't the "first" language. What is unnerving is that Russian leads the pack. One might say "OK, Russian. So what?". And if it were just "babushkas" and wheel chairs, I might be less alarmed. No, these people are youngish families that are surprisingly affluent. The "dads" all look like spetznaz. Cut. Hard core. The eyes give it away. I have asked folks that "know about such things", and they all shrug and say "I have no idea".

So, here we are, deep in Confederate held territory, living among Russian mafia and a spetznaz "forward area".

Its absolutely surreal. One day last week I walk in and just past the front door is a woman and her daughter with a full cart going on in Russian about who knows what. The woman is 40ish, Demi Moore looking, and very well dressed. The daughter is 18ish, 6 ft X 120 and I'm not exaggerating, drop dead gorgeous. She looked like a Barbie doll. No, she looked like one of the Barbi twins at 18, and was dressed in the latest stuff from Paris. Seriously, WTF is wrong with this picture?

And speaking of Lowes Foods, same deal there. There is a cute little "Irina" in one of the check outs. Really thick accent. "So of all the gin joints in the world, what are you doing in this one?". "Husband sent here.". Really? "I hate it here".

But I digress...

Vincent
04-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Gotta throw the libs some "red meat" here...

http://media.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/1177.jpg

A "hate B-b-b-b-b-booosh" hoody in, er, "public safety" (or is that "magic underwear"?) party drawers and camo boots. My bride won't let me leave the house looking like that, so I have to sneak out at night. :rofl::rofl:

Your entertainment dollar goes further at Wallyworld.

zulater
04-07-2010, 11:22 AM

Remember don't buy unless you see the made in China label. :chuckle:

Bng_Hevn
04-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Living on the NC Coast we always have live lobsters at the local wal-mart.

I for one would love to NOT shop there, I like shopping at Harris Teeter's instead. My wife is getting pretty good at doing the coupon/sale thing to where we can get major deals at non-walmart stores, like Lowes Foods an Harris Teeter's.

I'll voluntarily go to WM for electronics like batteries or non-food items...like it is supposed to be. Sort of like what K-Mart used to stand for. But I hate having to go there for food. I'd be willing to boycott it if it would take traction.

The thing about WM is that if you have a family of 4+ and have X dollars to spend, you really don't have a choice. We only have 1 kid now, maybe will have 1 more but when you can get the same exact item for less, considerably less, it's difficult not to go with it. Namely cereal products, things that are the same in all stores.

I will not buy anything "fresh" from Wal-mart though, luncheon met etc. Will not. it is just plain nasty. Won't buy Wal-Mart brands on food items either. I've had bad experience with flour and sugar while making choc chip cookies.

Bng_Hevn
04-07-2010, 12:12 PM
You know, we could start an internet rumor of sorts that brings the downfall of Wally World. You know how everyone believes everything they read on the internet - if it's in a blog, it must be true, right?

fansince'76
04-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Won't buy Wal-Mart brands on food items either. I've had bad experience with flour and sugar while making choc chip cookies.

I can only imagine. :yuck:

Pursuant to that, I won't buy food at Walmart either. I either pick things up at King Soopers, or for larger food purchases, give a list to my father for things to pick up at the commissary at Buckley AFB as he's retired Army and then I pay him back.

WH
04-07-2010, 12:14 PM
You know, we could start an internet rumor of sorts that brings the downfall of Wally World. You know how everyone believes everything they read on the internet - if it's in a blog, it must be true, right?

Get someone really famous to Tweet something.

X-Terminator
04-07-2010, 02:29 PM
There are 2 Wal-Marts here within 5 miles of each other (one Super). I try to avoid going there like the plague. The only time I will go there is if Mom wants to go or I need something that I can get a little bit cheaper there than at another store. Otherwise, it's Giant Eagle, Market District (which is Giant Eagle on steroids) or McGinnis Sisters, which is a local specialty market and is the only place I will buy my meat and seafood. It is always fresh, many of their lunch meats are not processed and it supports PA farmers and other businesses. There is just isn't much I like about Wal-Mart, from the employees down to the "people" who frequent it.

X-Terminator
04-07-2010, 02:35 PM

You can buy live lobsters at Giant Eagle's Market District stores. Otherwise, off to Wholey's in the Strip you go...

Vincent
04-07-2010, 02:40 PM
C'mon you people. Wallyworld is just a "slice" of Americana you don't want to admit exists. But its there. Its calling out to you... "Olive loaf's on sale - $2.99 a pound!:.

WH
04-07-2010, 03:09 PM
McGinnis Sisters, which is a local specialty market and is the only place I will buy my meat and seafood. It is always fresh, many of their lunch meats are not processed and it supports PA farmers and other businesses. There is just isn't much I like about Wal-Mart, from the employees down to the "people" who frequent it.

Is that the one in Cranberry Twp?

beSteelmyheart
04-07-2010, 03:55 PM
We try to avoid going to WalMart for food & usually shop at Winn Dixie but it is noticeably more expensive. I refuse to buy anymore of what WalMart calls "steak"-can't really find the words to describe the taste & texture...
I prefer to call it "Squall-Mart" because of the screaming children that seem to have the run of the place. Sometimes you can hear them through the entire store!
My hometown shopping district's down fall was a combination of the collapse of the local steel industry & the beginning of the take-over of the department stores.

norlana
04-07-2010, 10:21 PM
McGinnis Sisters is on Route 228 just east of Cranberry about 2 miles. Adams Township - 7 Fields area.

X-Terminator
04-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Is that the one in Cranberry Twp?

It's on Rt. 228 in Adams Twp. There is also one in Monroeville and Brentwood, which is a 3 minute drive from my place and is the original, though relocated, store.

Stlrs4Life
04-09-2010, 08:43 PM

Exactly. I only go there when it's something I need late at night, when everything else is closed.

MACH1
04-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Exactly. I only go there when it's something I need late at night, when everything else is closed.

I only go when the wife drags me kicking and screaming.

tony hipchest
04-09-2010, 10:00 PM
i gotta go there weekly (at minimum) to buy feeder fish for my daughters pet snake...

and a pair of foster grant sunglasses (i seem to break them every week)...

and a cube of busch light.

oh, and to check out the babes. :cool:

BrandonCarr39
04-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Yep - even in the small developing city I'm in, there's one smack in the middle of it.

However - my mom prefers to go to a big Vietnamese store elsewhere in the metroplex, plus it's hard as heck to drive through all that parking traffic at Wal Mart. I'm not a fan of it either.

WH
04-10-2010, 05:29 AM

Same here, I only ever went there after midnight. Then you get:
1. Great Parking
2. 15 people who are 10 times drunker than you'll ever be
3. No lines.

I will say however, that WalMart is the only place that carried Imaginasians (trademark) Fry yourself General Tso's Chicken. It was the best General Tso's I've ever had, and it only cost $3.97

Godfather
04-10-2010, 11:24 AM
My town is a little isolated. It's about 10 miles to the Wal-Mart in Waveland (the beach town where Anderson Cooper cried after Katrina). I have to go there about once a week for dog food because all we have close by is a Rouse's and they only sell small bags for $11.

When I lived in New Orleans we went to Wal-Mart because the closest one was far superior to the closest Winn-Dixie (which always sold spoiled meat). Interesting how those places are different from one place to another--we get better quality from Wally World and worse quality from Winn Dixie.