PDA

View Full Version : Antwaan - Sign him up!!!!

BritishSteel
02-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Randle El's a free agent this close season. He showed today what he brings to the Pittsburgh Offense - unpredictability - his skill turned the game for us today - surely we've got to get the guy signed up.

TexaSteeler
02-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Perfect pass in Hines' stride. That was awesome.

Sharkissle29
02-05-2006, 10:37 PM
unfortunately he wont be a steeler next year :-/ but what are ya gonna do

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2006, 10:38 PM
I think Randle El may have just made his case as a great WR. We may not be able to keep him but he's our starting WR opposite Hines. If El is smart he stays a steeler!

Dook
02-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Great WR????

Uh, Randel fought for an early catch, gaining a badly needed first down.

The pass was out of this world but not something a really great WR needs to do now is it?

If anything, he's a great gadget player.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-05-2006, 10:46 PM
I hope ARE stays with the steelers.......Hes a great fit for our game......once he thinks about how good he has it on the steelers he will stay

SteelerzGirl
02-05-2006, 11:14 PM
I hope ARE stays with the Steelers, as well. If not, I'm sure someone will snatch him up quick.

Steeler in Carolina
02-05-2006, 11:30 PM
He needs to stay a Steelers. I don't see anyone going after him to be their No 1 receiver, so if he is going to be a No. 2, he should stay.

EnglishSteeler
02-05-2006, 11:36 PM
I can see Randle El staying. Cowher's going to want to make the Steelers the first side to win six super bowls and you would have to be mad to not want to be a part of it.

Koopa
02-05-2006, 11:40 PM
well i won't lose sleep if ARE don't come back, but it would be nice to keep the team together one more year minus bettis for sure. sure he can make a few plays but how often do we do that wr pass? and he ain't nothing special as a punt returner he's very overrated in that IMO. damn i thought he dun killed himself when he pointlessly dove to the ground. i think he might end up in chi-town cause that's the only place i heard him going to

Rotorhead
02-05-2006, 11:54 PM
He will probably go to Chicago, which sucks for us, but he has got to do what is best for him. I was glad to have him here for this run.

VegasStlrFan
02-06-2006, 12:06 AM
We need him.....sign him up .... the kid can play!! Certain people you need, ARE is one.

Steeler in Carolina
02-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Why Chicago? I know he went to Indiana, but his he from Chicago? The thing about him is he is important to the offense with the gadget plays. I would like to see him stick around, but if he doesn't, at least he learned from the best WR in football in Hines Ward.

Koopa
02-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Why Chicago? I know he went to Indiana, but his he from Chicago? The thing about him is he is important to the offense with the gadget plays. I would like to see him stick around, but if he doesn't, at least he learned from the best WR in football in Hines Ward.

there was an article on it in the post-gazette that week we played DA bears, and it talked about how he can play at home and shit like that. so that's why i think if he doesn't stay he'll go there

ColoradoSteelerFan
02-06-2006, 01:28 AM
I agree that Randle-El should be kept around.....but this is the difficult part about winning Super Bowls. Randle-El's stock went WAY UP today. He could have been the MVP. I saw a stat where he is 16 for 18 in his passes as a Steeler and 3 for 3 this year, with at least 2 of those being TD passes. Super Bowl teams blow up often because guys want their share. The Steeler organization appears to have been able to dodge this bullet for many years, but it will be interesting to see how the players react to winning it all. The salary cap restricts teams from being able to do much of what they would want to do....and no team seems to struggle with this more than the Super Bowl winner. Should be interesting.

ColoradoSteelerFan
02-06-2006, 01:31 AM
He will probably go to Chicago, which sucks for us, but he has got to do what is best for him. I was glad to have him here for this run.

I have heard that Chicago has made him a priority. However, there is hardly a guarantee that he will leave. A lot of it depends on what Randle-El wants. Does he want to stay with the organization that drafted him? Does he want to continue to play for Cowher? Is he willing to take a little less money to do this? Nothing is set in stone....and saying he will "probably" do anything is far too premature at this point.....unless you have spoken with him...

Rotorhead
02-06-2006, 02:21 AM
I know the Chicago is very interested in him and I also know that we have several FA's we need or should resign over him. Chicago will most likely offer him more money than the Steelers will so he will probably go there, unless he is willing to take less money. Since that doesnt really happen in the NFL, unless they are towards the end of their playing and want to stay with their team, that is why I say probably. I would love for him to stay though.

Randle el#82
02-06-2006, 07:38 AM
yes plz do sooo:bouncy:

70c10
02-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Antwaan is a multi purpose threat!

TasmanianTroy271
02-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Basically, my view on the whole situation was that we have2 young players who are likely to get looks from other teams; Randle El and Chris Hope, and we're only gonna keep 1. I tihnk El made his case to stay, and I didnt see Hope in the Superbowl at all. Remember him saying he wanted to cash in? I think somoene will pay him alot of money, and they'll find out that he just looked good because of his surroundings.

SteelerFan1
02-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Randel El is definitely an athlete, but to be honest I really don't see the point of paying him the big bucks to stick around. His punt returns have not been all that special, as he only averages 10 yards a return. Every once in a while they use that trick play, and teams always bite, but that's not to say that he's the ONLY person on the team that can throw that ball. Ward was a q.b. too.

Besides if coach wizz goes to the Raiders, than who's to say that the new offensive coordinator will even want to use Randel El in that capacity?

Big7Ben
02-06-2006, 11:59 AM
The pass Antwaan made was awesome!!

TasmanianTroy271
02-06-2006, 12:13 PM
but that's not to say that he's the ONLY person on the team that can throw that ball. Ward was a q.b. too.

Yea, but you need someone to throw the ball to, too. Wilson? Quincy? These guys have dropped balls before, and unless we get someone in the draft or Washington steps up (which I'd like to see), we're gonna need another reliable reciever...

Atlanta Dan
02-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Randle-El sealed the deal on not being in Pittsburgh next season with the TD pass.

Steelers already have starting WR $$$ invested in Hines Ward & Cedrick Wilson and will not pay what Randle-El will get from another team. El is a #3 receiver but his return skills and ability on gadget plays make him very marketable.

Chris Hope is a tougher call. I have read the Steelers are not wild about keeping him; question is how much Hope benefits from the talent that surrounds him.

Sad to see this team break up, but in the NFL you try to keep your core together and build around that.

Need4spd
02-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Unfortunately, this is the nature of the NFL, and all of professional sports in this day and age really. That being said, it would certainly be nice to keep him onboard as he is a great #2/#3 receiver for the Steelers, but it would not surprise if he heads elsewhere. None the less, I think we all appreciate his contributions during this season and in helping to bring a championship back to the Steel City!!

ColoradoSteelerFan
02-06-2006, 01:43 PM
If Randle El leaves, the good news is Cedric Wilson has grown into a great #2 receiver. With Quincy Morgan coming back next year, as well and the free agent market (hear David Givens will be available), all is not lost in the Steeler receiving corp.

rowedf
02-06-2006, 01:51 PM
See, here's the kicker for me. I want EL to say very badly, but......I can't see him getting "paid" to be a #2 man....not even close. Ideally, he's our #3 receiver, he is the perfect slot guy. We need a #2 man that could do the things that Burress did and be consistant. Can Wilson do that.....doubtful, can Morgan......doubtful (he didn't with the 2-3 other teams he was on). I really think the Steelers will explore their FA options with a viable #2 WR. EL will get a lot more money than most #2 guys now......unless he is the consumate team player and will take less money to stay here and possibly a lesser role......I think he'll be wearing a different uniform next year. I just don't think the FO feels he is the best fit as our #2.

Need4spd
02-06-2006, 02:13 PM
The problem with wide receviers in this regard is that any #3 guy, thinks he can go to another team and be a #2, and #2 guys think they're #1's, i.e. Keyshawn Johnson. He's a glorified #2 masquerading as a #1. And El is also a good example of this, he's really a solid #3 receiver, but after this post-season he will probably be able to find another team weak at that position who will be willing to pay him #2 receiver type money. And unless El likes his role in the Steelers offense and likes playing for a winning organization so much that he's willing to take a little less money, he will likely be shipping out of Pittsburgh.

ColoradoSteelerFan
02-06-2006, 02:29 PM
See, here's the kicker for me. I want EL to say very badly, but......I can't see him getting "paid" to be a #2 man....not even close. Ideally, he's our #3 receiver, he is the perfect slot guy. We need a #2 man that could do the things that Burress did and be consistant. Can Wilson do that.....doubtful, can Morgan......doubtful (he didn't with the 2-3 other teams he was on). I really think the Steelers will explore their FA options with a viable #2 WR. EL will get a lot more money than most #2 guys now......unless he is the consumate team player and will take less money to stay here and possibly a lesser role......I think he'll be wearing a different uniform next year. I just don't think the FO feels he is the best fit as our #2.

This is the problem with some guys. Randel El is NOT a #1 receiver. He isn't today and he never will be. He is a great slot receiver and someone who adds a dimension to your offense, but he is not a Hines Ward. He is not a Chad Johnson. Randel El is 5'10" and 192 lbs. He is clearly too small to be a #1. He is a guy that needs a very good #1 to take the pressure off of him. If he's the #1....who in the world would be the #2? That is a team with a sad receiving group! Stay El. Accept the wonderful roll you have here and be happy!

Need4spd
02-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Randel El is 5'10" and 192 lbs. He is clearly too small to be a #1.

In defense of his physical stature, Steve Smith is about that same size, and I would say he's definately a #1 receiver. That guy is just plain unique though. I see your point though, he is definately nowhere near a #1, you could argue that he's a #2 though. In a way, I think the best way to describe him really would be the present day version of "Slash." Nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned.

Steeler in Carolina
02-06-2006, 10:59 PM
The good thing is that whatever happens, we know that the front office will make a smart decision. They will not overpay Randel El like other teams will.

WWIIOwheelz
02-06-2006, 11:07 PM
I'll bet you 10 - 1 they make him a middle-range offer that will be attractive to him, laden with incentives.

He's been a working part of our offense, and Pittsburgh doesn't forget "what you've done for me lately."

Bottom-line, he gets more elsewhere if he wants to leave. If he wants to remain a part of something special, he takes less per year for a longer-term, laden with incentives (and probably a decent signing bonus.)

Is that wishful thinking? I don't think so. He's a huge special teams threat always, and an integral part of an offense with surprises up the sleeve. We didn't have a world champion for 26 years, and when we finally did again, he was the 1st WR in SB history to throw a TD pass. The one for the thumb has his name on it.

I'm being a little sentimental, I guess, but I'd really love for him to stay.

SteelrsRck
02-07-2006, 10:02 AM
We def need him

rowedf
02-07-2006, 10:14 AM
We def need him

We definetly do not NEED him, he's a great player to have, but to say a necessity, its not true. To me, there are other players up for FA that are more valueable than him (i.e. Ike Taylor, Chris Hope).....I think those two are closer to needs that EL is.

Haiku_Dirtt
02-07-2006, 02:00 PM
The bonus money we paid out last year for Hines and Heath is in the neighborhood of $13 million. Miller is locked up for the next few years. Nate Washington proved in the Indy game that he can make a big catch and break up a certain interception in the end zone - and save Ben's butt. Ced Wilson...I can't figure him out. A 'streak receiver'??

Who wouldn't like a garage and driveway full of toys? But this isn't the Oprah Winfrey Show.

If you deduct that rocket-propelled 75 yard score, then Willie has 9 rushes for 18 yards. I like Parker but he is somewhere in between a no. 1 and no. 2 leaning towards a no. 2 running back.

WE NEED A TAILBACK WHO CAN POUND THE BALL more than we need to overpay for a No. 2 receiver who is probably - I agree - closer to a gadget. Have you Randle El proponents looked at our backfield situation next year!!?? Parker Hayes and Kreider. Respectively a No. 2, No. 3 and a lead blocker (isn't Kreider great, love him).

We need to move up the draft board and get the future tailback to complement the future QB we already have. Or steal one from the open market. I love Lendale White. If he falls into the 10-15 slot, then we should strike a deal (ala the Polamalu 1st round pick).

rowedf
02-13-2006, 03:07 PM
The other thing we need to draft is a FB, I love Danny K. but our fullbacks last 6-8 years MAX, he's pushing it.

I think Willy can do it.....I think he certainly needs a compliment with him (like Bettis was this year)....but I think Willy can be the primary back carrying 18-24) times a game. I think they'll restructure Deuce and give him a shot as the compliment. Early in the season, I targeted Jamal Lewis as a big signing for us next year, but I think they'll stick with Willy and Deuce or a lesser teir backup running back if it's not Deuce.

The other guy that I think is becoming a "need to sign" is Kiesel, Kimo is getting up there and our ends need to know our system, I don't think Kiesel can command a lot of money, but I think we need to sign him.

TexaSteeler
02-13-2006, 04:30 PM
I think he's worth having because of his versatility. We don't need to carry a third QB on the roster if we have him, and we should take those savings into account when we sign him.

I don't buy him as the 3rd QB. We went three deep this year and still needed him at the wide out. You can't lose your top two QB's and your #2 receiver at the same time.

Suitanim
02-13-2006, 07:22 PM
Here's the practical side of the argument. If ARE leaves for Chicago, he'll disappear in that atrocity they call an offense. They'll probably let him play #2 role and hope that he can duplicate what he did here, but they simply don't have anywhere near the personnel for that to happen...but he'll make a lot of money and lose a lot of games.

Or, he could settle into the slot role for the Steelers, maybe accept some kind of incentive laden contract, and stay with a team that can and will win more Championships. I do believe the Steelers will make him a fair offer...what they won't do (and some teams might) is overcompensate him.

Randle el#82
02-13-2006, 11:49 PM
sign that godlayyy motha tucka:bouncy: