PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers draft digest: Big lineman Mike Iupati scheduled for visit

mesaSteeler
04-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers draft digest: Big lineman Mike Iuputi scheduled for visit
April 7, 5:36 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m4d7-Pittsburgh-Steelers-draft-digest-Big-lineman-Mike-Iuputi-scheduled-for-visit

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers plan to bring in yet another big offensive lineman as early as this week as Mike Iuputu is also scheduled for a visit according to a league source.

Steeler officials already have met with Iuputi during the Senior Bowl and yesterday had 350 pound Bryan Baluga of Iowa at the UPMC facility. Buluga is quickly moving up the draft day charts and could go as early as the top ten though.

As for Iuputi, the 6-5, 325 pounder earned consensus All-American honors this season after being named to the first team by the Associated Press, Walter Camp, American Football Coaches Association and the Football Writers Association of America.

An Outland Trophy finalist and first team All-WAC selection, Iupati helped the Vandals claim just the second bowl victory in program history—a 43-42 win over Bowling Green in the Humanitarian Bowl. He didn’t allow a single sack all season and graded out at 90 percent or better in all 13 games.

He can play both the guard and tackle slot and is projected as a guard on the NFL level, one with skills similar to former Steeler Alan Faneca.

What makes him special is his blocking skills. He is explosive and has an initial violent punch, has solid instincts and finishes his blocks not to mention the fact Iuputi is very physical and aggressive.

According to NFL Draft Dog, He uses his size and power effectively to help block down on opponents in the running game and no one can move him. He ties up defenders well and moves them away from the hole leaving it open for the running back to get through on a consistent basis. He won’t get pushed around either thanks to his wide base and leg strength.

Iuputi did not work out during Idaho's Pro Day on March 11, opting instead to run drills for teams he visits and keep his combine numbers.

Interestingly the two players he compares himself to are current Steeler Chris Kemoeatu whom he looks up to and a player coached by former Steeler coach Russ Grimm, Duece Lutai.

RECENT FIRST ROUND HISTORY: 2009 - Evander "Ziggy" Hood (DL, Missouri); 2008 - Rashard Mendenhall (RB, Illinois); 2007 - Lawrence Timmons (LB, Florida State); 2006 - Santonio Holmes (WR, Ohio State); 2005 - Heath Miller (TE, Virginia); 2004 - Ben Roethlisberger (QB, Miami-Ohio); 2003 - Troy Polamalu (SS, USC); 2002 - Kendall Simmons (G, Auburn); 2001 - Casey Hampton (DT, Texas); 2000 - Plaxico Burress (WR, Michigan State); 1999 - Troy Edwards (WR, Louisiana Tech); 1998 - Alan Faneca (G, LSU); 1997 - Chad Scott (CB, Maryland); 1996 - Jamain Stephens (T, North Carolina A&T); 1995 - Mark Bruener (TE, Washington); 1994 - Charles Johnson (WR, Colorado); 1993 - Deon Figures (CB, Colorado); 1992 - Leon Searcy (T, Miami-Florida); 1991 - Huey Richardson (LB, Florida); 1990 - Eric Green (TE, Liberty).

atlee731
04-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m4d7-Pittsburgh-Steelers-draft-digest-Big-lineman-Mike-Iuputi-scheduled-for-visit

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers plan to bring in yet another big offensive lineman as early as this week as Mike Iuputu is also scheduled for a visit according to a league source.

Steeler officials already have met with Iuputi during the Senior Bowl and yesterday had 350 pound Bryan Baluga of Iowa at the UPMC facility. Buluga is quickly moving up the draft day charts and could go as early as the top ten though.

Interestingly the two players he compares himself to are current Steeler Chris Kemoeatu whom he looks up to and a player coached by former Steeler coach Russ Grimm, Duece Lutai.

Who does their proofreading? If you're going to misspell, at least be consistent and misspell it the same way every time.

pete74
04-07-2010, 05:30 PM
i was surprised when i saw baluga visited yesterday because we unfortunatly dont have a chance a landing him

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Matt Pawlikowski

As for Iuputi, the 6-5, 325 pounder earned consensus All-American honors this season after being named to the first team by the Associated Press, Walter Camp, American Football Coaches Association and the Football Writers Association of America.

Iuputi did not work out during Idaho's Pro Day on March 11, opting instead to run drills for teams he visits and keep his combine numbers.

).

Who does their proofreading? If you're going to misspell, at least be consistent and misspell it the same way every time.

:rofl: No kidding. They misspelled the names of 3 players in that article. I'm surprised they got "Walter Camp Award" correct.

Either way, you never know. Many of us never thought that Michael Oher would slide to #23 last year and he did. IMO, Oher is better than Beluga and Mike Oompa-loompa. :wink:

jonslow
04-07-2010, 08:21 PM
:rofl: No kidding. They misspelled the names of 3 players in that article. I'm surprised they got "Walter Camp Award" correct.

Either way, you never know. Many of us never thought that Michael Oher would slide to #23 last year and he did. IMO, Oher is better than Beluga and Mike Oompa-loompa. :wink:

:chuckle:

Not too many guys are going to be as good as Oher straight out of the draft. But I've been on the Iupati wagon for a long time. I hope he has a good visit with the Steelers. I'd be thrilled to see either Iupati or Kyle Wilson in Pitt next year.

Steely McSmash
04-07-2010, 10:27 PM
That's some sharp spelling.

You'd think he'd model himself after someone better than Kemo though huh?

Galax Steeler
04-08-2010, 04:21 AM
i was surprised when i saw baluga visited yesterday because we unfortunatly dont have a chance a landing him

Didn't you hear we are going to trade into the top ten.:chuckle:

pete74
04-08-2010, 04:32 AM
Didn't you hear we are going to trade into the top ten.:chuckle:

yea right. lol. there really isnt anyone worth trading for. next year is a different story. there are 3 really good qb's coming out(i want washingtons) and i would be happy to make a play for one.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-08-2010, 10:03 AM
:chuckle:

Not too many guys are going to be as good as Oher straight out of the draft. But I've been on the Iupati wagon for a long time. I hope he has a good visit with the Steelers. I'd be thrilled to see either Iupati or Kyle Wilson in Pitt next year.

Yes, but my point is that many had Oher as a top 10 talent in December, but for some reason he slid to #23 in April. Bulaga could do that......unlikely, but it could happen. I honestly thought Oher was an impressive pass blocker, but needed work in the run game........we should have traded up to #23 for him. :doh:

I know you like Iupati and I do too, but think he is still pretty raw and considering the Steelers have a bunch of talent on the inside already I think he is a luxury pick. He might be able to play RT, but will need a lot of work.

I cant help thinking that we are thin at OT position and could use a #1 CB. A pure LT or #1 CB is much more worthy of the #18 pick than a Guard IMO.

jonslow
04-08-2010, 11:57 AM
I cant help thinking that we are thin at OT position and could use a #1 CB. A pure LT or #1 CB is much more worthy of the #18 pick than a Guard IMO.

I completely agree that a true #1, shutdown corner or pur LT is more value and a more pressing need than a guard. We'll have to wait and see if one will fall to us or if we trade up for one. I have a bad feeling Earl Thomas and Joe Haden come off the board in the top 10 and Kyle Wilson gets sniped a few picks before us.

taztroy43
04-08-2010, 01:00 PM
yea right. lol. there really isnt anyone worth trading for. next year is a different story. there are 3 really good qb's coming out(i want washingtons) and i would be happy to make a play for one.

I agree with you completely....Jake Locker is a freaking BEAST that has Tim Tebow type of ability with a very strong arm....he actually has very good mechanics!!!!! :thumbsup: Unfortunately he will probably be the 1st overall pick next year.....Shoot if he had come out this year he would of been #1 overall w/o question!!!!!!!!!!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_H72nuGPD-4Q/SL3iobffLpI/AAAAAAAAa9Y/xDjZOuljuOY/s400/Hot+jock+Washington+QB+Jake+Locker.jpg,http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Washington+State+v+Washington+WN40B5ZaNwCl.jpg

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sgPsXdf56W4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sgPsXdf56W4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8GnN_bTYtq4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8GnN_bTYtq4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fhTjtK2EcWc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fhTjtK2EcWc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

pete74
04-08-2010, 02:31 PM
he probably is the best but next year is just like the year ben was drafted. there are 3 or 4 possible 1st round qb's

SteelerFanInStl
04-08-2010, 03:57 PM

:iagree: It all depends on who's left on the board though. I'd love to see a pure LT fall to us but I just don't think there's gonna be one left at #18. We will be able to get a #1 CB there though.

pete74
04-08-2010, 04:14 PM
iupati definatly has the build and arm length to play LT in the future. its no gurentee and i would perfer a LT myself but if there isnt a pure LT on the board then i wont complain about Iupati. one LT i never hear in the top 5 that i belive deserves to be there and i would love on our team is charles brown. he has great height, arm length and is a great player

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-08-2010, 04:47 PM
iupati definatly has the build and arm length to play LT in the future. its no gurentee and i would perfer a LT myself but if there isnt a pure LT on the board then i wont complain about Iupati. one LT i never hear in the top 5 that i belive deserves to be there and i would love on our team is charles brown. he has great height, arm length and is a great player

Lots more to playing LT than height and arm length. Sam Young is 6'8" with 34.5" arms, but will not play LT in the NFL.

Iupati has never had to kick step and is a bulky mauler that grabs a lot. That works on the inside, but will not work at LT. Brandon Albert has much better feet and pass blocking technique than Iupati ..........and the Chiefs still feel he is better at guard. Iupati struggled terribly in the Senior Bowl practices playing OT and would need a lot of coaching to play RT, let alone LT.

Charles Brown is a great technician and coached by one of the great college O line coaches (Golden Pat Ruel) of all time. But Brown is a light footed guy that is barely over 300lbs and probably fits best in a zone block offense. I would not cry if Brown ended up a Steeler, but he just isnt a fit for this offense.

taztroy43
04-09-2010, 01:42 AM
he probably is the best but next year is just like the year ben was drafted. there are 3 or 4 possible 1st round qb's

yea every year theres always about 3 qb that warrant top 10 top 15 selections....but the thing is Jake Locker has nobody in his team thats spectacular....for example he doesn't have a dez bryant/golden tate/ on offense....Jake Locker is the Washington team....if he had some talent around him on the offensive side of the ball like Bradford, Tebow, or McCoy....he would tear it up more than any of those guys.....but the matter of the fact is that he has a crappy team in Washington......but the dude seems like a Winner.....like u mentioned....reminds me of when Ben came out......Ben didn't have an outstanding team but he did some crazy plays for his team in order to get W's.(Ben ran/threw/whatever it took for his team).....those characteristics I see in Locker, the man is a winner even though his team sucks!!! He does everything in his power to see his team come out with a W, but one man can't really make that much of a difference in football.... and if were thinking of trading up next year.....I hope it would be for this guy.......I know a lot of people don't want to hear this but what if Big Ben gets charges filed against him or has a future incident??? or even if he has a(I believe) 6th concussion?????:noidea: what then????????

pete74
04-09-2010, 03:31 AM
yea every year theres always about 3 qb that warrant top 10 top 15 selections....but the thing is Jake Locker has nobody in his team thats spectacular....for example he doesn't have a dez bryant/golden tate/ on offense....Jake Locker is the Washington team....if he had some talent around him on the offensive side of the ball like Bradford, Tebow, or McCoy....he would tear it up more than any of those guys.....but the matter of the fact is that he has a crappy team in Washington......but the dude seems like a Winner.....like u mentioned....reminds me of when Ben came out......Ben didn't have an outstanding team but he did some crazy plays for his team in order to get W's.(Ben ran/threw/whatever it took for his team).....those characteristics I see in Locker, the man is a winner even though his team sucks!!! He does everything in his power to see his team come out with a W, but one man can't really make that much of a difference in football.... and if were thinking of trading up next year.....I hope it would be for this guy.......I know a lot of people don't want to hear this but what if Big Ben gets charges filed against him or has a future incident??? or even if he has a(I believe) 6th concussion?????:noidea: what then????????

i agree and would love to have him. i said earlier in another thread that i think he will be the next payton manning. i would trade ben and our 1st round pick in a second for the chance to draft Locker.

SteelerFanInStl
04-09-2010, 08:41 AM
i agree and would love to have him. i said earlier in another thread that i think he will be the next payton manning. i would trade ben and our 1st round pick in a second for the chance to draft Locker.

:screwy: You would trade one of the best QBs in the NFL today, who's also the Steelers best QB since Bradshaw, AND a 1st round pick for an unproven college QB??? :sofunny: It's a good thing you don't work for the Steelers!

Texasteel
04-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Lots more to playing LT than height and arm length. Sam Young is 6'8" with 34.5" arms, but will not play LT in the NFL.

Iupati has never had to kick step and is a bulky mauler that grabs a lot. That works on the inside, but will not work at LT. Brandon Albert has much better feet and pass blocking technique than Iupati ..........and the Chiefs still feel he is better at guard. Iupati struggled terribly in the Senior Bowl practices playing OT and would need a lot of coaching to play RT, let alone LT.

Charles Brown is a great technician and coached by one of the great college O line coaches (Golden Pat Ruel) of all time. But Brown is a light footed guy that is barely over 300lbs and probably fits best in a zone block offense. I would not cry if Brown ended up a Steeler, but he just isnt a fit for this offense.

Gonzo, If both were sitting there, Iupati and Pouncey, which one would you take? Personaly I think I would prefere Pouncey.

What draft position would you think about taking them? Possably if we could drop back to say 23 - 25?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-09-2010, 10:03 AM
Gonzo, If both were sitting there, Iupati and Pouncey, which one would you take? Personaly I think I would prefere Pouncey.

What draft position would you think about taking them? Possably if we could drop back to say 23 - 25?

WOW !!-Great Question!! Its really tough to answer.

Iupati has all the physical skills, but is still quite raw IMO, can play guard or probably RT. I think he has bigger upside and potential to be great.

Pouncey is more polished, can play G or C and Gerald McCoy described him as the toughest O lineman he has played against. I dont know that Pouncey has the upside of Iupati, but is still really good.

I think I would take Iupati before Pouncey and yeah, that 23-25 range is good value.

Aussie_steeler
04-09-2010, 04:16 PM
WOW !!-Great Question!! Its really tough to answer.

Iupati has all the physical skills, but is still quite raw IMO, can play guard or probably RT. I think he has bigger upside and potential to be great.

Pouncey is more polished, can play G or C and Gerald McCoy described him as the toughest O lineman he has played against. I dont know that Pouncey has the upside of Iupati, but is still really good.

I think I would take Iupati before Pouncey and yeah, that 23-25 range is good value.

Someone will definitely overpay for Mike Iupati. I see the same thing happening that occured with Brandon Albert.

Look for someone like Dallas to want to move up 5 -7 spots to gaurantee getting a player that they really covet.

If you are Pittsburgh and your man isnt at #18 then dropping back to #25 to get Odrick, Pouncey or McCourty wouldnt be a bad option. I think the real value for the steelers is in the late 2nd / early 3rd rounds where they can pick up talented players to fill the backup roles on the squad that are really weak.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Aussie, I am starting to think that somebody is gonna trade ahead of the Steelers to get Iupati, because of a lot of the hype and mocks of the Steelers wanting him. I am also thinking that the 49ers might take him ahead of us.

The 9ers are happy with Joe Staley, but want to bolster the O line. I can see them going with the best DB like Haden, Berry or Thomas with their first pick, then Iupati with their 2nd at #17. In that case the Steelers take BPA or entertain a trade down later in the 1st and like you say can still get their guy and maybe pick up an additonal 2nd round pick.

pete74
04-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Someone will definitely overpay for Mike Iupati. I see the same thing happening that occured with Brandon Albert.

Look for someone like Dallas to want to move up 5 -7 spots to gaurantee getting a player that they really covet.

If you are Pittsburgh and your man isnt at #18 then dropping back to #25 to get Odrick, Pouncey or McCourty wouldnt be a bad option. I think the real value for the steelers is in the late 2nd / early 3rd rounds where they can pick up talented players to fill the backup roles on the squad that are really weak.

i definatly agree that we may grab odrick in the 1st but i also think Iupati has all the tools to be a probowl player for many years. i really like Iupati and wanted him for a while but now im considering Pouncey the better pick since he can play guard or center

Aussie_steeler
04-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Aussie, I am starting to think that somebody is gonna trade ahead of the Steelers to get Iupati, because of a lot of the hype and mocks of the Steelers wanting him. I am also thinking that the 49ers might take him ahead of us.

The 9ers are happy with Joe Staley, but want to bolster the O line. I can see them going with the best DB like Haden, Berry or Thomas with their first pick, then Iupati with their 2nd at #17. In that case the Steelers take BPA or entertain a trade down later in the 1st and like you say can still get their guy and maybe pick up an additonal 2nd round pick.

Iupati is definitely on the radar of the 49er's and Cowboys. I also wouldnt rule out the Eagles as Andy Reid loves mauling guards. With the demise of Shaun Andrews I believe Iupati would nearly come into the league with the same impact that Andrews had.

From #13 ( where 49ers can set the tone of the draft ) I can see the top 10 players being available to chose from being. But I think it will take a ton of luck to get both Haden and Iupati.

1. Dez Bryant
2. Joe Haden
3. Sergio Kindle
4. Earl Thomas
5. Mike Iupati
6. Jermaine Gresham
7. Brandon Graham
8. Dan Williams
9. Anthony Davis
10. Kyle Wilson

I am guessing OLB (graham) DT ( Williams), TE ( Gresham) & CB ( thomas & wilson) will be the BPA's available at #18. WIth that list I am not 100% committed to any player.

We need something to happen in the next week that clarifies the picture of this draft a little/

St33lersguy
04-10-2010, 07:52 PM
I saw Iupati in the senior bowl, I thought he held too much. Bulaga will be long gone

fansince'76
04-11-2010, 08:33 PM

It's just another example of the typical journalistic brilliance found in pretty much every Matt Pawlikowski piece.