PDA

View Full Version : The Name Not Mentioned In The RB Situation

WilleStargellParker
04-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Stefan Logan!! Seriously remember the Steelers Brass towards the end end of the year saying they want to get him involved in the backfield the following year with lots of screens and etc. I think he would be productive if given the chance and why is nobody now not even bringing his name up when we talk about the rb depth ?

Psyychoward86
04-07-2010, 05:47 PM
If Mendenhall goes down and hits the IR, Stefan Logan isnt exactly who most people want starting in his place. The Chargers have Sproles, but they know that it's rare that you find a 185lb. runningback that can be used as a feature back (Warrick Dunn is probably the only recent back that could pull it off). I think there's a reason why he's listed as a wide receiver.

I think most people such as myself are looking for a runningback that could possibly excel in the complete absence of Rashard Mendenhall.

BehindSteelCurtain
04-07-2010, 05:54 PM
LaGarrette Blount ... He met with Steelers' today.

WilleStargellParker
04-07-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm not saying Logan should be the starter but that he adds another dimension to the backfield. I would be fine with Mendy, Moore and Logan as our backs. Also if Mendy does got down I think Moore and Logan sharing the load would be fine.

Preacher
04-07-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm not saying Logan should be the starter but that he adds another dimension to the backfield. I would be fine with Mendy, Moore and Logan as our backs. Also if Mendy does got down I think Moore and Logan sharing the load would be fine.

Moore was fine two years ago.

However, at this point I would prefer to see Mendy, Logan and a rookie that could take carries away from Mendy.

I do NOT want Mendy as the featured back. I do NOT want the featured back system.

Psyychoward86
04-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Im telling you guys, Moore's 2008 campaign was overrated. The minute Rashard goes down and someone else has to step in, the running game will be mediocre again

Merchant
04-07-2010, 07:00 PM
I agree. I always pictured Logan as a Darren Sproles-type back. He seems very quick and slippery. I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do on a couple of screen plays.

Psyychoward86
04-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Or we could you know, actually run the ball. When you evaluate an RB, smaller things like efficiency with bubble screens are a bonus. They need to be able to run the ball. And in today's league, your #2 RB needs to be legit.

steelreserve
04-07-2010, 10:55 PM
If Mendenhall is healthy all year, I'd love Logan as a role player in the backfield. He brings a totally different kind of weapon to the table. But in case of injury, I wouldn't want Logan playing every down, no way. Too many limitations, or at least question marks. You want a pretty well-rounded guy to be the backup in case of injury.

tube517
04-07-2010, 11:06 PM
AMEN!

You have to have 2 good backs now. MeMO is a 3rd down receiving back not a #2

However, at this point I would prefer to see Mendy, Logan and a rookie that could take carries away from Mendy.

I do NOT want Mendy as the featured back. I do NOT want the featured back system.

Steely McSmash
04-07-2010, 11:35 PM
As far as I know Logan is considered a receiver on the team. That's who he trained with in Latrobe last year. This is consistent with his use in the bunch screens etc.

I agree that we need a #2 who can run the ball effectively in general. Moore or Logan do not fit the bill there.

IMO the #2 is a battle between Redman and Rookies and UFA this year.

Moore is the #3

Summers hopefully will have some competition at FB in camp as well for the #4 spot.

Steeldude
04-08-2010, 12:27 AM
moore has ran the ball fine when called upon.

this is reminds of when porter left. so many were clamoring for a replacement when the steelers had a better player waiting the entire time. where did all of those people go who said harrison is nothing more than a backup LB?

Galax Steeler
04-08-2010, 03:33 AM
Im telling you guys, Moore's 2008 campaign was overrated. The minute Rashard goes down and someone else has to step in, the running game will be mediocre again

Agreed Rashard is the heart of the running game and if he does get injured we are in trouble. I think Moore could help out but is not going to be a game in and game out back. I still think we need to get someone in the later part of the draft.

solardave
04-08-2010, 06:05 AM

I agree. Logan can help but he won't be an every down back. Moore has his role but again not an every down back. Draft a rookie and groom him to step in if Mendy goes down or is thinking about going out to a club and some psychic chick reads his mind and presses charges against him. :wink02:

Steeldude
04-08-2010, 06:23 AM
mendenhall has yet to prove he is a 1st-string RB. he may very well be a good starting RB, but it's a little too early to crown him a success just yet. he showed glimpes of things that were promising, but he also showed some things that weren't so great. let's see how 2010/11 turns out

SteelerFanInStl
04-08-2010, 08:09 AM
mendenhall has yet to prove he is a 1st-string RB. he may very well be a good starting RB, but it's a little too early to crown him a success just yet. he showed glimpes of things that were promising, but he also showed some things that weren't so great. let's see how 2010/11 turns out

I disagree. 1,100 yards rushing with 4.6 ypc shows that he's a 1st string RB. He's obviously still got things to work on but he proved himself last year.

ricardisimo
04-08-2010, 08:40 AM
I'm not sure it's worth anyone's time to lose sleep over the RB depth chart. I think the little chats Art had with Tomlin and Arians about the running game, and whether or not we draft O-line early are much more germane to whether we will have any success next year running the ball.

And steeldude's right, one decent season tells us very little about Rashard. Do I think we need to draft another RB? No. But he's not "elite" just yet. Besides, he could be the Second Coming of Barry Sanders, and it wouldn't matter if he's not being used properly.

devilsdancefloor
04-08-2010, 08:41 AM
What about handing the ball off to frank the tank? maybe redman? memo did a wonderful job filling in for FWP. It would be nice to see Logan in the backfield of lined up as a WR. But i doubt we see it i have been waiting for the pony backfield from BA since we drafted Mendy.:noidea::tt03::tt03:

steelerchad
04-08-2010, 08:52 AM
I believe of any position in the NFL, RB is the position you are most likely to find a diamond in the rough through the draft. It's also one of the easier positions to transition from the college game to the Pros. Hit the hole and let your vision and insticts take over. Picking up the blitz is probably the toughest part to learn. But if you're looking for someone to take 5-10 carries a game off of Mendy, I think we may find someone in the 3rd or 4th round who could possibly do this. This years draft is said to be deep at RB. If the Steelers stick to BPA strategy we may get lucky in a middle round. I believe we have a couple of extra 3's or 4's this year due to free agency losses. Look at the production we got from Wallace in the 3rd last year at receiver. I think it's possible.

TheRuneMeister
04-08-2010, 08:57 AM
I'd love to see Redman in there as #3 (the coaches must have seen something the rest of us didn't in preseason/training camp)...or perhaps Summers converted back to RB. I know he is not your prototypical RB, but neither was Bettis. Had high hopes when he was drafted.

SteelGhost
04-08-2010, 09:30 AM

While I agree to some extent, I think Rashard did a great job coming from his injury, he ran effectively and picked up more than 1,000 yards. I expect this kid will be better in 2010. If BA does what Artie suggests (run the ball effectively when they need to) RM will have an outstanding performance IMHO

The RB depth chart must be addressed in the draft though.

Indo
04-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Speaking of LaGarrette Blount---
Does he have Suddenness and Glide? Or just a Mean Right Hook? :chuckle:

Just Askin'...

SteelGhost
04-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Speaking of LaGarrette Blount---
Does he have Suddenness and Glide? Or just a Mean Right Hook? :chuckle:

Just Askin'...

I don't know ... wait .... Lakelander must know the answer :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-08-2010, 10:13 AM
I think the OP has a point. Mendenhall will be the primary RB, with Moore or a rookie taking some of the carries too.

But, this is the final year of Moore's contract and if he isnt signed, I can see the Steelers going forward with Moore, Rookie (Dixon, Blount, Tate, Bell, Paschal, etc) Summers and Logan in the 2011 season.....if there is no lockout.

mulldog24
04-08-2010, 11:10 AM
I like Logan as a situational rb but not as a #2. I would like to see what Summers can do as a rb. Summers was very productive in college and can catch the ball pretty well too. I think he is more of a rb than a full-time fb.

KeiselPower99
04-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Logan can be the speed back and it would make sense. Mendenhall and Logan. I can deal with it

JEFF4i
04-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Wait Mendenhall still has to prove himself to some of you people? Behind a poor O-Line he rushes over 1,000 yards with crowning jewels like Denver and Chargers games?

pancake
04-08-2010, 12:43 PM
If Mendenhall is healthy all year, I'd love Logan as a role player in the backfield. He brings a totally different kind of weapon to the table. But in case of injury, I wouldn't want Logan playing every down, no way. Too many limitations, or at least question marks. You want a pretty well-rounded guy to be the backup in case of injury.

Totally agree... :thumbsup:

ricardisimo
04-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Wait Mendenhall still has to prove himself to some of you people? Behind a poor O-Line he rushes over 1,000 yards with crowning jewels like Denver and Chargers games?

Not so much Rashard having to prove himself... probably more like Arians having to prove he knows how to use him. I think Mendy's good, I don't know if he's great yet, and I don't know that he's elite enough to consistently overcome the O-line you mention and Arians' scheme.

Psyychoward86
04-08-2010, 05:48 PM

LOL. U like Moore but you're afraid of what Mendenhall is incapable of? Well, i can tell you he's already a better blocker and receiving back since Tomlin already told us late in the season that Mendenhall took over 3rd down duties. And i think we all know who carries the rock better. That makes no sense, i dont think you even realize who Moore ran against in '08 when everyone was overhyping the crap out of Mewelde. He ran against the jaguars, bengals, giants, and colts. All of them were laughable defenses except for the giants. And against the Giants, Moore was completely shutdown, other than a single 32 yard TD in the 1st quarter.

Im appreciative of what Moore does for us, and im even more appreciate of the fact that he accepts his limited role in our offense, but if mendenhall goes down, our problems are gonna snowball in a bigger issue: Mendy goes down we start passing the ball more, we start passing the ball more Ben gets sacked more often, Ben gets sacked more often and it would be a miracle if he survives 7 more fruitful years in Pittsburgh. Not to mention opposing defenses would hardly take our run game very seriously if Mendenhall isnt back there.

Chidi29
04-08-2010, 07:50 PM
Logan came into camp as a RB and we moved him to WR. Shows how much confidence we have in him out of the backfield.

Logan needs to focus on making the team first before we talk about him playing anywhere else. Randle El could push him off the roster (Or vice versa).

SteelerFanInStl
04-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Logan came into camp as a RB and we moved him to WR. Shows how much confidence we have in him out of the backfield.

Logan needs to focus on making the team first before we talk about him playing anywhere else. Randle El could push him off the roster (Or vice versa).

I wouldn't be surprised if Logan doesn't make the team. If we draft a rookie who can return kicks, I think he'll be gone.

Steel-Bryan
04-09-2010, 01:46 AM
Supposedly were going to Draft Kyle Wilson according to most Mocks. I heard he can KR .

Galax Steeler
04-09-2010, 04:35 AM
Supposedly were going to Draft Kyle Wilson according to most Mocks. I heard he can KR .

He can return kicks but I just don't see us drafting a receiver in the first round.

stillers4me
04-09-2010, 05:15 AM
We'd better not draft a WR in the first round this year............not with the way our secondary fell apart last year.

Steel-Bryan
04-09-2010, 10:03 AM
He can return kicks but I just don't see us drafting a receiver in the first round.

Hes a CB from Boise

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-09-2010, 10:14 AM

While its true that Logan needs to compete for a job, he got moved to WR spot because the backfield was crowded with Parker, Mendenhall, Moore and a need for a FB like Summers.

Logan can play RB and is an interesting 3rd down weapon, but you are right that they brought in El and a few other guys that can return KO.

Galax Steeler
04-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Hes a CB from Boise

Sorry I was thinking about Dez Bryant WR, Oklahoma State my bad.

Psyychoward86
04-09-2010, 05:47 PM
While its true that Logan needs to compete for a job, he got moved to WR spot because the backfield was crowded with Parker, Mendenhall, Moore and a need for a FB like Summers.

Logan can play RB and is an interesting 3rd down weapon, but you are right that they brought in El and a few other guys that can return KO.

lol ARE sucks as a KR. He's a PR. Logan is the exact opposite, so our return game will work beautifully.

Steeldude
04-10-2010, 05:35 AM
but you're afraid of what Mendenhall is incapable of?

isn't everyone wary of what their 1st round starting RB can or cannot do? he hasn't shown enough to proclaim him as anything more than average at this point.

dont think you even realize who Moore ran against in '08 when everyone was overhyping the crap out of Mewelde

i don't think you realize who mendenhall ran against in 09. the difference here is moore is a backup. i expect more out of mendenhall especially since he is a 1st round pick and the starter.

but if mendenhall goes down, our problems are gonna snowball in a bigger issue

1,100 yards RBs are a dime-a-dozen.

let's take a look at how mendenhall did versus the defenses of 09...

his only 100+ yard rushing games were against the raiders (29th vs rush), broncos (26th) and chargers (20th). wouldn't you call them laughable also?

it mainly has to do with the O-line. no holes means no yards.

Not to mention opposing defenses would hardly take our run game very seriously if Mendenhall isnt back there

i don't think anyone took the steelers running attack as a threat in 2009. which, IMO, has to do with the O-line failing to open holes and getting a good push.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-10-2010, 07:28 AM

Wilson returned punts...McCourty is the CB that returned Kickoffs.

Psyychoward86
04-10-2010, 10:26 AM
isn't everyone wary of what their 1st round starting RB can or cannot do? he hasn't shown enough to proclaim him as anything more than average at this point.

what happened to 1,100 yard RB's are a dime-a-dozen

i don't think you realize who mendenhall ran against in 09. the difference here is moore is a backup. i expect more out of mendenhall especially since he is a 1st round pick and the starter.
1,100 yards RBs are a dime-a-dozen.
let's take a look at how mendenhall did versus the defenses of 09...
his only 100+ yard rushing games were against the raiders (29th vs rush), broncos (26th) and chargers (20th). wouldn't you call them laughable also?
it mainly has to do with the O-line. no holes means no yards.

all true, but some of those performances were ridiculously dominant. Keep in mind that Rashard is 22 years old. Most RB's that young arent even in the league, heck, even putting up a 1,000 yard season for that matter. He's young, and has done more than just "flashed" the ability to be a complete back that can block, catch, run, take pitches, etc. His upside is off the charts. Ugh, but i dont think anyone can disagree with you on the o-line :doh:

i don't think anyone took the steelers running attack as a threat in 2009. which, IMO, has to do with the O-line failing to open holes and getting a good push.

i hope we draft one of these RB's in the draft:

1) Lagarette Blount
2) Joe Mcknight
3) Stafon Johnson

whatdoiknow
04-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Mcknight and Johnson ? What are you ? A USC fan :-) Both those guys don't fit what we need. We need a down on the goalline Smasher RB. Blount can fit that role. As can Dixon from Ole Miss. But not the other two.

Psyychoward86
04-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Mcknight and Johnson ? What are you ? A USC fan :-) Both those guys don't fit what we need. We need a down on the goalline Smasher RB. Blount can fit that role. As can Dixon from Ole Miss. But not the other two.

Blount or Dixon would be awesome too. The only concern with them are off-field issues.

The only character issues i could find though were Blount's punching incident, and Dixon had a DUI.

So i guess we could consider giving them ONE free ticket, seeing how they dont have an awful history other than that :noidea:

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-10-2010, 10:57 AM
i hope we draft one of these RB's in the draft:

1) Lagarette Blount
2) Joe Mcknight
3) Stafon Johnson

We have brought in Blount (6'1 241 lbs) and Anthony Dixon (6'1 233 lbs). I am beginning to wonder if this wasn't Tomlins subtle way of telling Frank Summers (5'10 240 lbs) that he needs to be "on the field" this year.

I think it may be working....He has been conditioning with his former pro-day coach and says that he is in the best condition of his life...and fully intends to be a starter.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-10-2010, 11:07 AM
lol ARE sucks as a KR. He's a PR. Logan is the exact opposite, so our return game will work beautifully.

I'm just saying that with guys on the team like ARE, Battle, Wallace, Burnett that are all capable of returning kickoffs.....Logan is gonna be in tougher this year to earn a spot on the 53.

If all he does is return kickoffs, then its even harder to give him a jersey on gameday when El, Battle, Wallace and Burnett are all probably going to be playing on a regular basis on either offense of defense.

I hope Logan makes it and can contribute as a RB too....but I think its gonna be tough.