View Full Version : Defensive end Eason to re-sign with Steelers

mesaSteeler
04-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Defensive end Eason to re-sign with Steelers
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_675370.html
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, April 8, 2010

Unrestricted free agent Nick Eason, who started five games in 2009, will re-sign Thursday with the Steelers.

"He wanted to stay in Pittsburgh because of his love of the city and the team," agent David Wyatt said Wednesday night.

Wyatt said Eason, a defensive end who also visited the Arizona Cardinals, agreed to terms and the Steelers sent a contract to Georgia for him to sign.

Eason, who turns 30 next month, has served in a backup capacity the past three seasons. With veteran Travis Kirschke expected to retire, Eason's role could expand, along with Ziggy Hood, last year's first-round draft pick, and second-year-player Sunny Harris.

Eason totaled 16 tackles in eight games last season.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Galax Steeler
04-08-2010, 03:27 AM
This is the first of me hearing that Travis Kirschke is expectd to retire he has been a good one.

Steelers>NFL
04-08-2010, 07:26 AM
This is the first of me hearing that Travis Kirschke is expectd to retire he has been a good one.
Ed Bouchette said in his transcript the other day that Travis was expected to retire.
He also said, he expects the Steelers not re-sign Eason unitl after the draft.

BlastFurnace
04-08-2010, 09:44 AM
I like this signing. I have thought that Eason has been a servicable DE in our rotation for the past 2 seasons. Glad to see he's sticking around.

devilsdancefloor
04-08-2010, 09:59 AM
I like this signing. I have thought that Eason has been a servicable DE in our rotation for the past 2 seasons. Glad to see he's sticking around.

:iagree:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-08-2010, 10:07 AM
I thought this was gonna happen last year that Kirschke retired and Eason take his place. I really like what I saw from Sunny Harris and think this is gonna be a solid D-line for years, even after Smith retires.

Eventually gonna be Hood and Keisel starting with Harris and Eason backing up at DE. The wildcard is that if some reason the Steelers see Corey Wooten in the 2nd and take him.

steelerdude15
04-08-2010, 10:15 AM
With veteran Travis Kirschke expected to retire
This is the same for me about hearing him. Eason is a pretty solid player and I like the attitude he brings to the team, plus it's more depth.

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 10:41 AM
With Kirschke going to retire this season im sure this is a good move for the aging D-line!

steelreserve
04-08-2010, 11:13 AM
It's too bad Kirschke is retiring. I thought he was the best of our backups when he was healthy and would've preferred him over Eason. Of course, if he's getting too old to stay healthy in the first place, that kind of defeats the point.

Oh well. We'll do fine. We were basically carrying one too many defensive linemen for most of last season anyway once we grabbed Sunny Harris. And especially with Smith coming back, someone was bound to get squeezed out.

mulldog24
04-08-2010, 11:30 AM
I am glad to hear this as I think that Eason is a very solid player and brings valuable depth to our D-line. I also like Eason's work ethic and think he has gotten better each year.

KeiselPower99
04-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Eason has been a solid guy for us and happy to have him back. Kirschke was another solid Steeler free agent move and has 2 rings to look at now.

OneForTheToe
04-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Not surprised, but a good development.

Psyychoward86
04-08-2010, 06:01 PM
If Sunny and Ziggy both pan out, that will more than make up for the lousy drafting we've done in the later rounds (in recent years)

Chidi29
04-08-2010, 07:52 PM
It's too bad Kirschke is retiring. I thought he was the best of our backups when he was healthy and would've preferred him over Eason. Of course, if he's getting too old to stay healthy in the first place, that kind of defeats the point.

Yeah, I think the back injuries were too much for him especially at his age. Can only take so much of it.

Kind of unfortunate too. He played a lot better than I thought we would in relief of Aaron Smith.

mesaSteeler
04-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Eason Signing Fills Another Steelers' Roster Spot
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/04/08/eason-signing-fills-another-steelers-roster-spot/
4/08/2010 9:24 PM ET By JJ Cooper

Nick EasonIf the Steelers sign a couple of more players, they can take the third day of this year's draft off.

The Steelers re-signed defensive end Nick Eason on Thursday, bringing back a veteran who is coming off of one of his most productive seasons. It's the kind of move that's hard not to like--Eason is a solid backup who will likely be the team's No. 4 defensive end and his price (although not yet disclosed) is sure to pretty cheap by NFL standards.

But it also means that Pittsburgh has checked another position off its list of potential draftees. Unless Pittsburgh wants to go with the misguided approach of drafting for the practice squad, the Steelers have no reason to draft a defensive end--Aaron Smith and Brett Kiesel are the starters, 2009 first-rounder Ziggy Hood is the primary backup, Eason is the No. 4 DE while Sunny Harris, a relatively promising rookie last year, will be hoping the team decides to keep five defensive ends.

There are a lot of other positions where the Steelers are in a similar situation. At tight end, Pittsburgh has four veterans coming back to battle for three spots. At wide receiver, Pittsburgh has a set top three (Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes and Mike Wallace), two veterans (Arnaz Battle and Antwaan Randle El), a troubled if still talented third-year pro (Limas Sweed) and the best kick returner Pittsburgh has had in two decades (Stefan Logan). For all those players, Pittsburgh is likely to keep only five receivers and six at most.

At inside linebacker Pittsburgh has three starters on the roster (Larry Foote, James Farrior and Lawrence Timmons) plus a solid backup who is also one of the team's best special team's player (Keyaron Fox). Since the team usually keeps four inside linebackers, it seems unlikely that they will be drafting an inside linebacker.

Pittsburgh also has three solid quarterbacks (Ben Roethlisberger, Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon) on the roster and is set at kicker (Jeff Reed), punter (Daniel Sepulveda) and long snapper (Greg Warren).

So where can Pittsburgh draft players with a legitimate chance to make the team?

They could draft one safety (to possibly replace No. 4 safety Ryan Mundy). They have room to draft at least one tailback (to replace Willie Parker), but probably not two (since Rashard Mendenhall, Mewelde Moore, Isaac Redman and Tank Summers are on the current roster). They could take one offensive linemen and possibly two. If Pittsburgh drafts a nose tackle, he could battle Sunny Harris for the final defensive line roster spot. If Pittsburgh wanted to completely overhaul its backup outside linebackers it could draft a pair of edge rushers and there's a spot for one cornerback, although with Ike Taylor, William Gay, Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis back (and the chance that Deshea Townsend could return if Pittsburgh wants him) it's hard to see how two drafted corners could make the team.

Even if the Steelers do all that, we're talking about nine picks and several of those (the second outside linebacker pick, the nose tackle, the second offensive lineman and a second running back) would be 50-50 shots to make the team. Pittsburgh currently has 10 picks in the 2010 draft with three of them (two fifth-round and one seventh-round compensatory pick) that they aren't allowed to trade. So if you're wondering whether the Steelers will be making some deals, one can only hope that they'll package some picks to trade up this year or swap a couple of this year's picks for better picks innext year's draft.

Galax Steeler
04-09-2010, 03:29 AM
I wonder why the Cardinals didn't sign Eason.:noidea:

Kaeg
04-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Interesting that ad has Logan listed as WR. I hope we keep him, but it doesn't seem to make sense when we added El and Battle. Maybe his spot is secure at returning or RB.