PDA

View Full Version : Is Ben Going to Be a Target This Year?

AndyWitmyer
04-08-2010, 01:09 AM
I have a bad feeling that even if Ben is found to be entirely, 100% innocent in what has become his 2nd sexual assault story in two years, other teams might use the assumption of his guilt as a means of motivating and rallying their players. I could just hear it now, someone in a locker room before the game saying "Okay guys, we're gonna beat the sh*t out of that rapist son of a b*tch!" (I keep thinking this would be Baltimore, but honestly this could very well be any team). Seriously, I don't think it's much of a stretch. Besides murder, people seem to openly rate sex crimes as a close 2nd for what bothers them most.

Ben could be entirely innocent, but still - could his actions in Georgia end up jeopardizing more than just his public image, but perhaps even his own health? He gets sacked 40 or 50 times a season already - now add to that an allegation of sexually assaulting a "college student" (as the media loves to put it) in the bathroom of a nightclub. I just hope Ben has more than ample protection this year or he might routinely walk off the field looking like Favre after playing the Saints....

What are your thoughts? Will other teams exploit this in any significant way or do you think it'll end up being a non-issue?

I don't want to see Ben getting seriously injured by another player over this ESPECIALLY since he's innocent (which, btw, after weeks of reflection, I truly believe he is). Maybe I'm overthinking this or overreacting, but it seriously has me a little worried, ya know?

stb_steeler
04-08-2010, 01:21 AM
Funny you mention Baltimore.....Hmmm no room to talk there, what with all the thugs on their team. Besides i dont think that will scare Ben to much.

steelreserve
04-08-2010, 03:14 AM
Baltimore has two guys who killed someone. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I really don't think anyone on another team can use this as motivation, because most of them seem to spend 90% of their own free time a) getting DUIs, b) making a scene at a strip club, or c) getting into the ever-popular confrontation outside a nightclub with shots fired.

I mean, seriously? Come on.

Matty™
04-08-2010, 03:16 AM
Baltimore has two guys who killed someone. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I really don't think anyone on another team can use this as motivation, because most of them seem to spend 90% of their own free time a) getting DUIs, b) making a scene at a strip club, or c) getting into the ever-popular confrontation outside a nightclub with shots fired.

:tt02: so true

every franchise have had problems with the law in one respect or another

Galax Steeler
04-08-2010, 04:34 AM
I don't think it would affect the way teams prepare for Big Ben.

solardave
04-08-2010, 07:01 AM
First the NFL is not the Boys Scouts. These guys have a Barbarian mentality. They are going to go after Ben because it's how the game is played. Saying let's get the rapist SOB is like saying Let's go get that murderer (now it would be those murderers). Exploit this? No. It won't change the game one bit!

stlrtruck
04-08-2010, 09:53 AM
I don't see any coach using those terms. But I believe he'll be a target for the simple fact that he's a proven winner in the NFL and teams hate him. PERIOD!

MACH1
04-08-2010, 10:02 AM
He's a QB, he'll always be a target.

SteelGhost
04-08-2010, 10:43 AM
He's a QB, he'll always be a target.

^^ THIS. :thumbsup:

steelerdude15
04-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Yeah... when isn't he a target?

Bubbabanjo
04-08-2010, 11:39 AM
I doubt rumors and snide remarks are on his worry list from other teams.....more LB's un-opposed screaming thru the line and ringing up more concussions. The O-line is his biggest worry in the game.

Where Ben needs to worry about this nonsense is endorsements. These women (if gold-diggers) are costing him mountains of money. He was the NFL heir apparent in the Big Money commercial jackpot. All gone now. His bar life has cost him millions. And possible TV and movie deals.

What a dope...........anybody ever see the old movie Cherry 2000. It was about a future world where women were so coniving a man had to have a team of lawyers for any date or kiss. The men developed Cherry 2000 robots instead of dealing with that.

Buy a robot Ben!!!

steelpride12
04-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Ben will always be a target, but for what he did recently it won't be a problem. No coach would use those words to motivate their team.

steelax04
04-08-2010, 12:10 PM
If this is what it takes for a coach or player to get fired up to play Pittsburgh, then they shouldn't be in the league in either capacity, imho.

JEFF4i
04-08-2010, 12:40 PM
In the very, very off-chance that something like this could happen, Ben should have only one response..."Bring it."

JEFF4i
04-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Although...a new taunt after the coin-toss could go something like this...

"I'm going to do to you what I allegedly did to that 20 year old female in Georgia during the preseason!"

steel9guy
04-08-2010, 02:51 PM
If this is what it takes for a coach or player to get fired up to play Pittsburgh, then they shouldn't be in the league in either capacity, imho.

I agree because if you're not fired up to play us were gonna kick your butt.

CanadianSteel
04-08-2010, 04:10 PM
To be honest I am more concerned about the refs being even more biased against the Big Ben & the Steelers, and maybe an un-written rule that he gets "NO" calls and cannot win in the end.
Specially if he is not charged and Godell cannot suspend him. It would look bad on the leauge if bens goes out and lights it up and wins the Superbowl...... Call me a conspiricy theorist :)

And I know Ray Ray won the superbowl the year after his charges but that was a different regime..

Am I NUTS to think this is a possibility ????

AndyWitmyer
04-09-2010, 05:35 AM
To be honest I am more concerned about the refs being even more biased against the Big Ben & the Steelers... Am I NUTS to think this is a possibility ????

I never thought about that. Sadly, I wouldn't rule it out. Besides, as I said in my original post, yeah Ray was accused of murder - but I'd still argue that in some ways, being involved in rape or sexual assault is actually more abhorrent to many Americans than murder (which is odd but true). The refs might very well look at Ben as being a criminal -- if so, their calls might be influenced by this assumption. I mean I DOUBT this will happen, but you never know...

And I agree with your claim that the refs often appear to be outwardly biased against the Steelers (especially in regards to the double standard on holding calls)! ! Grr.

stillers4me
04-09-2010, 06:28 AM
I bet more than half of them are thinking, "There but for the grace of God (go I)." If anybody thinks that what is presumed to have occured in that bathroom is a rare occurrence for pro athletes and rock stars, then you are quite naive.

Wikipedia: Proverb, I would likely have experienced or done the same bad thing if God had not been watching over me. (You can say this to refer to someone who has had bad luck; implies that the person is no less virtuous than you are but is now miserable purely because of bad luck, which might happen to you as well.)

plenewken
04-09-2010, 08:25 AM
I have a bad feeling that even if Ben is found to be entirely, 100% innocent in what has become his 2nd sexual assault story in two years, other teams might use the assumption of his guilt as a means of motivating and rallying their players. I could just hear it now, someone in a locker room before the game saying "Okay guys, we're gonna beat the sh*t out of that rapist son of a b*tch!" (I keep thinking this would be Baltimore, but honestly this could very well be any team). Seriously, I don't think it's much of a stretch. Besides murder, people seem to openly rate sex crimes as a close 2nd for what bothers them most.

Ben could be entirely innocent, but still - could his actions in Georgia end up jeopardizing more than just his public image, but perhaps even his own health? He gets sacked 40 or 50 times a season already - now add to that an allegation of sexually assaulting a "college student" (as the media loves to put it) in the bathroom of a nightclub. I just hope Ben has more than ample protection this year or he might routinely walk off the field looking like Favre after playing the Saints....

What are your thoughts? Will other teams exploit this in any significant way or do you think it'll end up being a non-issue?

I don't want to see Ben getting seriously injured by another player over this ESPECIALLY since he's innocent (which, btw, after weeks of reflection, I truly believe he is). Maybe I'm overthinking this or overreacting, but it seriously has me a little worried, ya know?

Are you fearing that he might get sacked more than 50 times next season? Me too, and it has nothing to do with this off-field issue.
At this point, Ben could very well be only one more concussion away from retirement so he better change his style of play or he could be golfing sooner than we all think.

steeldawg
04-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Are you fearing that he might get sacked more than 50 times next season? Me too, and it has nothing to do with this off-field issue.
At this point, Ben could very well be only one more concussion away from retirement so he better change his style of play or he could be golfing sooner than we all think.

You can make this arguement for any player that steps on the field the game is fast and violent every player could be one injury away from their career ending.
:blah:

plenewken
04-09-2010, 12:36 PM
You can make this arguement for any player that steps on the field the game is fast and violent every player could be one injury away from their career ending.
:blah:

I agree but not all players are franchise QBs and not all franchise QBs are sack prone as Ben is.

stb_steeler
04-09-2010, 04:01 PM
I dont think any coach would allow that being the ultimate goal, and that is to kill the opposing teams QB. Wouldnt that make your team one dimensional trying only to focus on one thing. :coffee: