PDA

View Full Version : Holmes looking to play for a bigger market

Cmdurand21
04-08-2010, 03:43 PM
I know you guys dislike PFT, but whatever. Here is the article

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/08/report-santonio-could-be-eyeing-a-bigger-market/

At a time when there's a belief that receiver Santonio Holmes could be the fall guy for the recent string of alleged misbehavior in the 'Burgh, there's a report that Santonio may want to say "sayonara" to the Steel City.

Ken Laird of ESPN 1250 reports that Holmes doesn't believe that the Steelers will pay him "what he believes he's worth" on a new contract, and that Holmes would prefer to play in a big market in 2011.

The possible divorce between the Steelers and the MVP of Super Bowl XLIII could explain the team's decision to bring receivers Dez Bryant and Golden Tate in for a pre-draft visit. Both could be available when the Steelers exercise the 18th overall pick in the draft.

Personally, I will say good riddance to Holmes. He had a knack for disappearing in "unimportant" games, and is an idiot. He is nothing, but a criminal and will probably end up like Plex. Last year was his highest statistical season with 1200 yards and 5 tds, nothing to write home about. His career so far is one catch long in my eyes.. but what a great catch.

Dino 6 Rings
04-08-2010, 03:51 PM
yeah, pretty sure Burress left for the same exact reason...

have fun in jail fool.

pete74
04-08-2010, 03:58 PM
i have been saying for almost a year that he will be gone and here is the reaction i have been getting

Assistant Coach

zulater
Member Number: 5296 Re: Holmes accused of assault

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74
were definatly not extending his contract now. there was still a chance we would but he is as good as gone now. whats up with these steeler players. boy how times have changed
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We really need an eye roll emotcon here. Because that's what I'm doing right now.

I hope you don't forget to post when the Steelers open contract discusions with Santonio.

Steelers>NFL
04-08-2010, 04:05 PM
I always thought he would go for the big pay day instead of staying with a winner for a reasonable pay.
I think the Steelers shoud try and trade him for a second round pick during the upcoming draft.
Rather than just let him walk next year.

fansince'76
04-08-2010, 04:05 PM
According to Ken Laird, Arians was given his walking papers this past January too. Just sayin'.

BlastFurnace
04-08-2010, 04:08 PM
If he's here, he's here. If not, we move on.

I just pull for the laundry, not the player any longer.

pete74
04-08-2010, 04:09 PM
I always thought he would go for the big pay day instead of staying with a winner for a reasonable pay.
I think the Steelers shoud try and trade him for a second round pick during the upcoming draft.
Rather than just let him walk next year.

i agree 100%. he will be gone after this season because we cant afford him so we may as well try and get something for him. maybe we can get a good CB in the 2nd with our holmes trade. hopefully its not a corner like the one we drafted in the 2nd round of the 2004 draft though

SMR
04-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Wow, this is utterly sad. I miss the days when players actually wanted to STAY with the team and even took a pay cut- sigh.....this sucks. I sure miss the Bus!!!

polamalubeast
04-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I also saw that the steelers do not want to offer him a contract with what he knows to pass the other day on twitter.:banging::banging::banging::mad:

If so, it should seek to trade on.

I do not remember seeing the steelers have such a bad off-season because Ben and Santonio:banging::mad:

tony hipchest
04-08-2010, 04:40 PM
According to Ken Laird, Arians was given his walking papers this past January too. Just sayin'.this makes 2 ken laird stories that are extremely believable.

nothing against holmes, just like i didnt have anything agiainst plax and faneca, but i would rather lose him than others (such as woodley).

unfortunately the only team dumb enough to give up anything of value for him (seattle giving up a 1st for d. branch) already gave up a 2nd for a 4th year qb nobody has heard of and has never thrown an nfl pass.

good luck in miami in '11 holmes.

steelerdave1969
04-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Holmes may catch a 100 passes somewhere in 2011 and thats fine, the Steelers are not about showing off and saying.. look how much I am making and sorts. I like what he brings to our team but I also liked what Burress brought to our team as well. But that being said the Steelers have got to be thinking ahead which means they need to be keeping an eye of some of the good, not great talent in this upcoming draft, cuz the pick at 32 next season will not give us a bigtime shot at a top WR... that is after we get #7 in the Bowl season...
:popcorn:

steelreserve
04-08-2010, 05:29 PM
unfortunately the only team dumb enough to give up anything of value for him (seattle giving up a 1st for d. branch) already gave up a 2nd for a 4th year qb nobody has heard of and has never thrown an nfl pass.

What on earth would make you think that's the only team dumb enough? Did Al Davis die while I was on vacation? I mean, Holmes is the Raiders' wet dream:

Yet another wide receiver ... check
Bad attitude ... check
Legal problems ... check
Wants an absurd contract ... check
Former Super Bowl MVP ... check
Would probably want out of Oakland after 1-year deal expires ... check

So he's pretty much their ideal type. Just about the only downside for Oakland is that he's a Super Bowl MVP who's also had some productive seasons, not just some flash in the pan. But they'd probably be willing to overlook his regular-season success.

Oh well. The Steelers will be fine. WR is probably the easiest position to replace, as well as the one where it's easiest for the team to get by with so-so talent.

NJarhead
04-08-2010, 05:41 PM
this makes 2 ken laird stories that are extremely believable.

nothing against holmes, just like i didnt have anything agiainst plax and faneca, but i would rather lose him than others (such as woodley).

good luck in miami in '11 holmes.

Nah. Jets. Or perhaps New England. :doh: He could replace Welker.

Psyychoward86
04-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Nah. Jets. Or perhaps New England. :doh: He could replace Welker.

lol do you know what a slot receiver is? I'll give you a hint: Welker is one, Santonio isnt.

SteelGhost
04-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Than God we have Mike Wallace in our team :tt02:

Psyychoward86
04-08-2010, 06:39 PM
Again guys, this is the SAME GUY who reported that Bruce Arians was going to be fired...

steeltheone
04-08-2010, 07:01 PM
We never pay recievers big money...esp thugs...

zulater
04-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Holmes is one of the best route runners in the league, blocks above average for a wr, has good hands, and excells in poor weather and against good teams. I wouldn't take his loss lightly, nor would I think the Steelers.

That's not to say the Steelers wont accomadate Holmes if he tries to punch his ticket out of town. Price matters, and if Holmes thinks he should be paid top 5 for his position then he'll probably either be dealt or allowed to walk at the end of his contract.

But still I think it'd be a shame. He's a more complete player than Plax ever was, and I've got a hunch that Ward would start to look his age in a hurry without Santonio drawing double coverage opposite him.

SuzyPeppercorn
04-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Oh well. The Steelers will be fine. WR is probably the easiest position to replace, as well as the one where it's easiest for the team to get by with so-so talent.

Let me just say I am a huge Holmes fan. He has made quite a few big catches but receivers are a dime a dozen. Let him walk. He'll be in jail soon enough.

mwittman5
04-08-2010, 08:32 PM
so much for holmes being a steeler fan

Merchant
04-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Who needs Holmes when we got Sweed

BlastFurnace
04-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Who needs Holmes when we got Sweed

If Sweed can clear his head and gain confidence....he will be every bit as good as Holmes.

Holmes is an outstanding receiver because he knows he can do it. Sweed's biggest problem is that he's not sure if he can do it.

Psyychoward86
04-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Again guys, this is the SAME GUY who reported that Bruce Arians was going to be fired...

^^^Just so the less-gullible people read it^^^

JackHammer
04-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Wow, this is utterly sad. I miss the days when players actually wanted to STAY with the team and even took a pay cut- sigh.....this sucks. I sure miss the Bus!!!

That's weird because those were around the same days that we were losing Randle El(I don't blame him) and Chris Hope. Hate to break it to you, but "those days" never existed.

Merchant
04-08-2010, 10:28 PM
If Sweed can clear his head and gain confidence....he will be every bit as good as Holmes.

Holmes is an outstanding receiver because he knows he can do it. Sweed's biggest problem is that he's not sure if he can do it.

I just watched Sweed's Texas highlight tape last night. Dude was a force to be reckoned with. I still have hope he can do great things for us.

But let's not turn this into another Sweed thread, because I know how much the mods love those :chuckle:

Shea
04-08-2010, 10:41 PM
I personally won't be upset to see him go.

Even our TE has better hands than he does.

SteelerFanInStl
04-08-2010, 11:51 PM
According to Ken Laird, Arians was given his walking papers this past January too. Just sayin'.

:iagree: Why don't we wait for it to actually happen before we condemn our Super Bowl MVP?

Galax Steeler
04-09-2010, 03:39 AM
If he is going to leave then I think we should go ahead and trade him and pick up a decent draft pick for him.

HometownGal
04-09-2010, 05:30 AM
Holmes is one of the best route runners in the league, blocks above average for a wr, has good hands, and excells in poor weather and against good teams. I wouldn't take his loss lightly, nor would I think the Steelers.

That's not to say the Steelers wont accomadate Holmes if he tries to punch his ticket out of town. Price matters, and if Holmes thinks he should be paid top 5 for his position then he'll probably either be dealt or allowed to walk at the end of his contract.

But still I think it'd be a shame. He's a more complete player than Plax ever was, and I've got a hunch that Ward would start to look his age in a hurry without Santonio drawing double coverage opposite him.

Spot on. :thumbsup:

If the Steelers offer him a decent contract, I'd be happy to see him stay but if he really wants that gigundo payday in a larger market - :wave:

stillers4me
04-09-2010, 05:42 AM
Maybe Randle-El will have some infuluence over his decision. ARE left for the money and then found out he wasn't in Kansas anymore. I'm sure he would have loved to sport that 2nd SB ring. He seemed quire happy to be back.

rbryan
04-09-2010, 05:48 AM
He's already exceeded the highest expectations I ever had for him. He will live forever in Steeler lore for "The Catch"

I'll still be sad when he leaves....but I'll get over it.

Rick5895
04-09-2010, 05:54 AM

I couldn't agree more on Holmes talent and what he means to the Steelers. That being said, He WILL want more than we are willing to pay, that and the fact that he has a talent for finding trouble, has one year left on his contract and the way the draft is being done this year, It would not surprise me to see a trade after the first evening of the draft. If we can secure a 2nd round pick or even a 2nd round pick next season for him , I am sure F.O will look at it. Santo has been a good player for the Steelers but sometimes you have to cut losses before they happen.
If Santo, however, becomes "Bettislike" and decides this is the place for him then great, I for one don't expect it.

IrishSteeler
04-09-2010, 06:57 AM
Santonio Holmes is great
His big players against the Ravens,Chargers and Cardinals in last years playoffs?
if you watch the steelers top 10 players of the 2008 season he is the star of half of them
will he actually go to jail?
is he not popular in Pittsburgh?

solardave
04-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Don't let the door hit you in the ass!!! We can't afford to pay him what he thinks he's worth because "THAT'S HOW YOU BE GREAT"!!!!! A legend in his own mind.
What's the difference between Santonio Holmes and Marijuana? One is a drug and the other is a dope!

steelballs
04-09-2010, 08:37 AM
As was mentioned earlier, Holmes is a legitimate talent, but the Steelers will move on and Holmes will again be another example of a "Steeler system player" that will not capture the same success that he achieved while with the black & gold.

I hate to lose him, but not to the extent that keeping him would be a detriment to the financial stability of the franchise.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the road....even if the road is paved with cash.

SteelerEmpire
04-09-2010, 09:27 AM
I'll have to see this one (Holmes leaving) to believe it... I don't have anything bad to say about the guy... Yea he's had his troubles as a football player, but how many others have also in these days and times and there have been 'several' Steelers players causing commotion here in the last few years.
In addition, he is responsible for giving us #6... without his catch, 'the Wiz' would have probably took us to school...
And, if you remember, that was not the first and only miracle style catch he made for the team that year...
These types of comments like "I don't think the Steelers will pay me what I'm worth" and threats to leave the team are common around the time when there's a contract negotiation... its all part of a negotiation process...

SteelGhost
04-09-2010, 09:40 AM

I agree 100 % zulater :thumbsup:

I really really want Santo to stay in The 'Burgh, but if he decides to go for his payday instead of the rings ..... :wave:

steelerdude15
04-09-2010, 10:07 AM
I like Holmes, he's a good WR and play maker, but with all this trouble, he needs to leave. If he cleans up his act then, he can stay.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-09-2010, 10:18 AM
It all makes sense now. Randle El and Battle are here as insurance. Battle plays the game a lot like Hines does, El can work the slot and be a #2, while Wallace can take the top off the coverage and the coaching staff still says that Sweed is in their plans.

So, if Holmes wants more $$ and leaves, then Ward retires. Its could be Wallace, El, Battle, (Golden Tate??), Sweed or Gresham???

Prok
04-09-2010, 10:29 AM
All i know is Santonio is a hellova play-maker. See any game against the ratbirds the last few years for reference. It'd be a big mistake IMO to let him get away through FA. I don't think his off-field stuff isn't correctable.

Steeldude
04-09-2010, 01:37 PM
let him go. he has pretty much had just an average career with the steelers so far. sure he has had some highlights, but average seems a better word to describe holmes than great. if he had better hands great would be a better word to use for him.

i'm not really worried about the steelers finding a replacement.

stb_steeler
04-09-2010, 03:05 PM

They dont make em like the Bus anymore....:hatsoff:

wootawnee
04-09-2010, 03:19 PM
We need to find a good dude like John Staworth.......We Might have in Mike Wallace.....

SteelerFanInStl
04-09-2010, 03:26 PM
As was mentioned earlier, Holmes is a legitimate talent, but the Steelers will move on and Holmes will again be another example of a "Steeler system player" that will not capture the same success that he achieved while with the black & gold.

I don't agree in this case. I think that if Holmes leaves he could very well be even more successful for another team. Unlike Randle El, Holmes is a legitimate #1 WR.

fansince'76
04-09-2010, 03:34 PM

Yeah, too bad Holmes isn't closer to retirement with absolutely no other prospective takers for his services.

SteelerJay
04-09-2010, 05:44 PM
ladies...quit the whining...don't believe the hype; Holmes is here to stay

SMR
04-09-2010, 05:45 PM
They dont make em like the Bus anymore....:hatsoff:

Indeed.

:mad:

Psyychoward86
04-09-2010, 05:49 PM

lol, you mean our vertical passing attack, which requires actual talented receivers?

KeiselPower99
04-09-2010, 07:07 PM
If he wants money he will walk. If he wants to be with a winner then he stays. Ive never been a fan of him and find him to celebrate to damn much for simple plays.

Cinnjerm
04-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Even if this is true I still don't see him going anywhere just cause it seems like he enjoys the media attention from winning a lot. I mean, yeah... he could get more money somewhere, but as Foote found out the hard way there's a lot to be said for winning. He'll be sitting there with fat pockets and no media hype cause he went to some bullshit-ass team like the Raiders. :rofl:

Cinnjerm
04-09-2010, 07:17 PM
And yall need to stop pretending like you won't miss this dude. He's replaceable, but not easily replaceable. Just think of all the after-the-catch yards this dude get's (refer to the AFC Championship game 08 when he took a pass from Ben mid-field 60+ yds for a touchdown).

steelerchad
04-09-2010, 07:40 PM
I too think Santonio is gone next year and have said so in other posts. But what in the heck does a large market have to do with anything in the NFL.
This is not baseball, where only the Yankees and Red Sox can afford to pay the big contracts. There is a salary cap in the NFL and market size has very little to do with what a team pays. The Steelers are probably top 3 if not #1 in fan base across the entire country. Holmes has a better chance of getting jersey sales in a Steelers Uni than most other teams. TV? No. With the Steelers being a national favorite they are on all the time. I live in Virginia and I get the Sunday ticket, but I hardly need it as they are on regular TV 9-12 games a year out of market. I can't possible understand what playing in a major market has to do with anything. If it's fame he's seeking, better chance of finding it in Pittsburgh with all the success and tradition.
Anyway, I believe he's gone. just not for the reason stated.

Set-Man
04-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Man, do we forget fast! First lets take Santonio as a player. There is no way in hell we win the Superbowl last year without him. The dude burns the Ravens secondary on a broken play and scores a crucial TD. Then he brings a punt return back against the Chargers. It was all him on the last drive of the Superbowl. His yards after catch were exceptional.

Now as a person none of us know him personally but he has had his off the field issues. You would think he would learn.

What to do?
Well we think Wallace is the answer and he did have a great year. We definitely need another top end receiver if Santonio is gone. Hines as much as I love him is a slot receiver who is nearing his last years. Who else do we have? Randle-El is a stop-gap as a backup to Ward. Without Santonio our receiving corp isn't that great. Having Holmes and Wallace on the field frees one of them up in coverage. Without Holmes, Wallace would be blanketed as who else do we have to stretch the field?

Now if we get an offer for a good trade we should do it because I agree he is gone after next year. We could use that pick on a young speedy receiver. But we should give him his due and stop comparing him to Burress who is now in jail and never won a championship for us. Holmes is a very good player and I appreciate his play inside the football stadium.

Of course just my opinion.

stillers4me
04-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Man, do we forget fast! First lets take Santonio as a player. There is no way in hell we win the Superbowl last year without him. The dude burns the Ravens secondary on a broken play and scores a crucial TD. Then he brings a punt return back against the Chargers. It was all him on the last drive of the Superbowl. His yards after catch were exceptional.

Now as a person none of us know him personally but he has had his off the field issues. You would think he would learn.

What to do?
Well we think Wallace is the answer and he did have a great year. We definitely need another top end receiver if Santonio is gone. Hines as much as I love him is a slot receiver who is nearing his last years. Who else do we have? Randle-El is a stop-gap as a backup to Ward. Without Santonio our receiving corp isn't that great. Having Holmes and Wallace on the field frees one of them up in coverage. Without Holmes, Wallace would be blanketed as who else do we have to stretch the field?

Now if we get an offer for a good trade we should do it because I agree he is gone after next year. We could use that pick on a young speedy receiver. But we should give him his due and stop comparing him to Burress who is now in jail and never won a championship for us. Holmes is a very good player and I appreciate his play inside the football stadium.

Of course just my opinion.

And it's a damn good one. :drink:

Steely McSmash
04-09-2010, 10:10 PM
I personally don't think any of this means anything.

Holmes is a good #1 who's just coming into his own. The SB win was by far the best game he played to that point in time.

IF the FO thinks he's as good as gone, maybe they'd trade him coming up to the draft. Think about it the bungles are short on receivers AND criminals.

Dino 6 Rings
04-12-2010, 12:04 PM
So he got his wish...go play for the cursed franchise known as the Jets.

Hey Holmes...as long as Namath is alive that team will NEVER win the Super Bowl.

That was the deal Joe made with the Devil to win it in '69.

enjoy your time in the rotten apple.