PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper makes his Steelers picks

Fire Haley
04-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Kiper has UF C/G going to Steelers in first round

April 7th, 2010

With the NFL draft two weeks away, ESPN analyst Mel Kiper Jr. has the Steelers taking Florida center/guard Maurkice Pouncey with their first-round pick, No. 18 overall.

“I think the Steelers could use a versatile, interior presence that can play at a high level at center or guard,” Kiper said today on a conference call. “He’s also got great character.”

If the Steelers took the 6-5, 304-pound Pouncey with their top pick, they could play him at right guard, where they could use an upgrade, and eventually move him to center.

Pouncey compares favorably with Jets center Nick Mangold, who has made the last two Pro Bowls and become one of the top players at his position.

If the Steelers address the offensive line with their first-round pick, Kiper said, they almost have to use their second-round pick on a cornerback.

Kiper said Patrick Robinson of Florida State would be a strong possibility for the Steelers in the second round if they go with a cornerback.

Another possibility he mentioned in the second round is East Carolina nose tackle Linval Joseph.

“Is really under the radar,” Kiper said of the 6-41/2 328-pound Joseph, “but has really come along and is now a solid late (round) one or early to mid two.”

Kiper said the Steelers may take a defensive end early in the draft and said Arkansas State’s Alex Carrington is a possibility for them in the third round. Joseph, he said, also could play end in a 3-4 defense

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/04/07/kiper-has-uf-cg-going-to-steelers-in-first-round/

jdthree
04-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Don't hate the positions, but just where they are picked. I'd rather go either Thomas or Wilson in the first and then Walton in the second and then either Carrington or Mike Neal in the third.

pete74
04-08-2010, 06:51 PM
i would be very happy if we drafted just like that. we do need a corner but no matter what everyone thinks i seriously doubt were taking one in the 1st after drafting 2 last year. pouncey would be a great upgrade

whatdoiknow
04-08-2010, 06:55 PM
If I want advice on " BOWLING "...I will ask a guy named " Mel ". But when it comes to the Steelers, and their needs and what they are looking at,,Kiper has the LEAST amount of credibility that there is. Pouncey is exactly what the steelers do not need. Not saying he doesn't have some skills. But not for us. Gil Brandt, a very knowledgeable NFL player scout said that Pouncey is getting ranked alot higher than he deserves. Gil said Pouncey is a mid-2nd round talent. And his finesse style would NOT benefit the Steelers.

Pouncey at 18 would maybe be the worst steeler 1st round selection EVER. Even way worse than Troy Edwards.

Aussie_steeler
04-08-2010, 08:00 PM
If I want advice on " BOWLING "...I will ask a guy named " Mel ". But when it comes to the Steelers, and their needs and what they are looking at,,Kiper has the LEAST amount of credibility that there is. Pouncey is exactly what the steelers do not need. Not saying he doesn't have some skills. But not for us. Gil Brandt, a very knowledgeable NFL player scout said that Pouncey is getting ranked alot higher than he deserves. Gil said Pouncey is a mid-2nd round talent. And his finesse style would NOT benefit the Steelers.

Pouncey at 18 would maybe be the worst steeler 1st round selection EVER. Even way worse than Troy Edwards.

Well maybe you should head to the bowling alley right along with Mel.

To compare Maurkice Pouncey to Jamain Stephens and Huey Richardson is crazy and maybe just a little uninformed.

But then again - What do I know? :noidea:

Texasteel
04-08-2010, 08:02 PM
This is the first time I have heard Joseph mentioned higher than the 4th round.

Steely McSmash
04-08-2010, 09:29 PM

This is how Kiper estabishes credibility. He moves guys up and down the board constantly so wherever Joseph gets picked he can go through his notes and say

"oh yeah on April 7 I picked this guy in the second! Pass the hair gel boys I'm on a roll!"
:rofl:

steelerdave1969
04-08-2010, 09:34 PM
I personally would like those first 2 picks by the Steelers. With Pouncey in the 1st round I think the Steelers really upgrade and they say that he might could play Guard as well til the time come to replace Hartings. But I personally would be suprised if Patrick was left that late in the 2nd round . . . but who am I ?

whatdoiknow
04-08-2010, 09:38 PM

To compare Maurkice Pouncey to Jamain Stephens and Huey Richardson is crazy and maybe just a little uninformed.

Aussie sir, I think you missed my point. When I stated that Pouncey at 18 would be our worse selection ever, I meant selection according to need, and Pouncey's skill level. As for Jamain Stephens and Richardson,,,they turned out to be bad players. But at the time, their selections were valid. In fact Richardson was considered by most every expert at that time as a GREAT pick for us. But selecting a mid-2nd round talent at 18, and one who's style doesn't even fir us, would be as bad, if not worse when we totally REACHED for Troy Edwards when we did. And in that vein Pouncey would be a worse SELECTION than either Richardson and Stephens...cause they were both taken right where the experts said they should.

Aussie_steeler
04-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Aussie sir, I think you missed my point. When I stated that Pouncey at 18 would be our worse selection ever, I meant selection according to need, and Pouncey's skill level. As for Jamain Stephens and Richardson,,,they turned out to be bad players. But at the time, their selections were valid. In fact Richardson was considered by most every expert at that time as a GREAT pick for us. But selecting a mid-2nd round talent at 18, and one who's style doesn't even fir us, would be as bad, if not worse when we totally REACHED for Troy Edwards when we did. And in that vein Pouncey would be a worse SELECTION than either Richardson and Stephens...cause they were both taken right where the experts said they should.

In that context it makes a little more sense. I believe that Pouncey is the pick if you trade down in the first to grab an extra late 2nd / early 3rd. ( eg. Dallas)

Gil Brandt has Pouncey as mid round 2 talent. Kiper has him as first round talent. PFW has him at #24, Draftscout.com at #35 ( but he is chosen in the mid first round in most of their published mocks) :noidea:

His evaluations never change, just his detemined value. A quality center is a need for the future (if Legursky is not the chosen one) and I would be happy for it to happen this year. I think he sits around the #20 mark for value.

Last year I think we all may have under estimated the value of Alex Mack and Eric Wood. I know I was disappointed to see both taken last year before the #32 pick

Respect the opinion - just not buying the blind faith in your experts and their perceived value.

Sadly we have been lacking a lot of good quality debate in the war room this year so it is nice to see someone with a strong opinion that they are prepared to stand by.

tony hipchest
04-08-2010, 10:27 PM
This is the first time I have heard Joseph mentioned higher than the 4th round.i tend to pay more attention to the collective opinion of the draftnics on this board as opposed to kiper. not that i think he sucks or anything, i just think there are those out there a bit more focus and study for specific needs.

i agree, that 18 is just too high to take a guard/center. we are trying to make a championship run, right?

it would be a great selection if we were drafting where the colts are (and i believe pouncy will be a great selection for them at #31) but we are drafting in the middle of the pack on a rare occasion. i cant remember the last time a center, or even a guard prospect was drafted as high as #18. steve hutchinson? :noidea:

most teams will be going 3 wr/1te/1rb set. we need 3 starting calibur CB's as the nickel package will probably be used as often as our base 3-4.

im not sure how many games a pro bowl ball hiker in a couple of years will actually win us.

MasterOfPuppets
04-08-2010, 10:58 PM

i think the comparison of pouncey to mangold is a bit of a stretch as well... mangold was labeled a solid prospect and first round before the combine based on his college resume (like mack)....pouncey was never mentioned as first round talent until after the combine....:noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
04-08-2010, 11:18 PM
i cant remember the last time a center, or even a guard prospect was drafted as high as #18. steve hutchinson? :noidea:

. and you would be correct ... hutchinson was # 17 in 2002 ? and the browns took jeff faine # 21 in 2003 ? does brandon albert count ?

of course the draft is just a roll of the dice, but i think the odds are better that the G/C prospect in the first rnd has a better chance of being a 10-12 yr starting probowler ( faneca , hutchinson , mangold etc..) then a cb ....( chad scott ...:doh: )
basically what i'm saying is the interior linemen that are worthy of first rd consideration usually do pan out vs other positions...

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-09-2010, 12:51 AM

Gil Brandt has Joseph ranked in his #31- 40 top prospects of the draft.

FWIW, Kiper had Alex Mack sliding to us last year too. I still thin #18 is way too high for a center.

Galax Steeler
04-09-2010, 04:19 AM
There is no dought that Pouncey would make us a great player but getting him at 18 I would rather take someone else at the 18 th spot.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-09-2010, 10:09 AM
i think the comparison of pouncey to mangold is a bit of a stretch as well... mangold was labeled a solid prospect and first round before the combine based on his college resume (like mack)....pouncey was never mentioned as first round talent until after the combine....:noidea:

I agree too that the Mangold comparison is a bit much. I think Pouncey compares more to Eric Wood or even Ryan Khalil(sp).

I still think we have a good OG prospect in Urbik, but eithe Iupati or Pouncey would be insurance if Urbik isnt the guy.....plus either can replace a current vet on the roster in the future if Urbik does pan out (Pouncey- Hartwig) (Iupati-Colon).

In essence, if Iupati is drafted and Urbik wins a G spot, the combo on the right side would be Urbik G and Iupati RT....allowing Colon to leave in free agency.

Youngstown Steeler
04-09-2010, 12:27 PM
I personally would like those first 2 picks by the Steelers. With Pouncey in the 1st round I think the Steelers really upgrade and they say that he might could play Guard as well til the time come to replace Hartings. But I personally would be suprised if Patrick was left that late in the 2nd round . . . but who am I ?

I know this was just an oversight on your part, but Hartings has been gone for years, now. :wink02:

revefsreleets
04-09-2010, 02:00 PM
All I will say is this: If my ONLY job was evaluating NFL prospects and attempting to match them to draft positions, I would do a MUCH better job than Mel Kiper does. Just as an aside, isn't it interesting that he has us spending our first pick on a guy who hasn't even visited the Steelers?

SteelerFanInStl
04-09-2010, 03:32 PM
I know this was just an oversight on your part, but Hartings has been gone for years, now. :wink02:

Well, we are STILL trying to replace him. :toofunny: