PDA

View Full Version : I might be out of line thinking this....

whatdoiknow
04-09-2010, 10:18 AM
But I have to say this. Alot has been mentioned about Ben not being at the current off-season workouts going on right now in Pittsburgh. But we all know that the steelers themselves asked Ben to not attend cause of all the crazy Media that would maybe distract those practices. It's not like Ben didn't want to attend. But yet the think that kinda bothers me right now is that,,,I have been watching ESPN's " First Take show. And you know what ? I noticed that our OWN..currently re-signed S Ryan Clark has been up there for the past 3 weeks or so, in Connecticut where they tape the show,,,doing a daily segment on each teams draft picks along with EX-Player Lomas Brown. Now Lomas doing this is okay cause he is retired. But I have to say it kinda bothers me that Ryan thinks it's more Important to maybe work on his next career after football as a TV commentator. Rather than up in Pittsburgh, with his teammates working in drills. Like I said fellow fans, maybe I am out of line thinking this but I am sorry. It is the way I feel.

Look I like Ryan Clark. But I also feel that maybe a FS like Earl Thomas might be our best option if available at 18 cause it clearly looks like Clark has other ventures on his mind other than the Pittsburgh Steelers.

But then again...Whatdoiknow ?

stlrtruck
04-09-2010, 02:37 PM
But I have to say this. Alot has been mentioned about Ben not being at the current off-season workouts going on right now in Pittsburgh. But we all know that the steelers themselves asked Ben to not attend cause of all the crazy Media that would maybe distract those practices. It's not like Ben didn't want to attend. But yet the think that kinda bothers me right now is that,,,I have been watching ESPN's " First Take show. And you know what ? I noticed that our OWN..currently re-signed S Ryan Clark has been up there for the past 3 weeks or so, in Connecticut where they tape the show,,,doing a daily segment on each teams draft picks along with EX-Player Lomas Brown. Now Lomas doing this is okay cause he is retired. But I have to say it kinda bothers me that Ryan thinks it's more Important to maybe work on his next career after football as a TV commentator. Rather than up in Pittsburgh, with his teammates working in drills. Like I said fellow fans, maybe I am out of line thinking this but I am sorry. It is the way I feel.

Look I like Ryan Clark. But I also feel that maybe a FS like Earl Thomas might be our best option if available at 18 cause it clearly looks like Clark has other ventures on his mind other than the Pittsburgh Steelers.

But then again...Whatdoiknow ?

They are voluntary workouts so they players don't have to be there. He may be dealing with other issues that require him to stay in that area. Who knows? Or maybe, like Troy, he's got a personal trainer that gets him in better shape than the off-season programs in Pittsburgh. I'm just sayin.

But then again, like you, what do I know?!

Davison_K
04-09-2010, 05:11 PM
As far as the point of the thread, which seems to have been missed, I am kind of in agreement, but like stlrtruck said he could have his own personal training similar to Troy. Though if that isn't the case, I feel that voluntary or not, all players should be there. It would probably prevent debacles similar to Casey Hampton's last year.

Psyychoward86
04-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Mountains out of molehills.

Cinnjerm
04-09-2010, 07:28 PM
I found that mildly offensive and it wasn't even directed towards me. :coffee:

As far as the point of the thread, which seems to have been missed, I am kind of in agreement, but like stlrtruck said he could have his own personal training similar to Troy. Though if that isn't the case, I feel that voluntary or not, all players should be there. It would probably prevent debacles similar to Casey Hampton's last year.

Agreed, that response was not proportional to the initial comment at all. My take is that as long as he performs on the field when the season rolls around, I don't really care what he does now. He is a veteran player and deserves as much time as he needs to prepare himself however he sees fit. That being said, I'd be lying if I said that it didn't bother me a little thinking that he seems to be spending an inordinate amount of time developing his post-NFL career, but everyone's gotta eat right?

steelerchad
04-09-2010, 07:52 PM
You know what. I had a job for 5 years that I worked from home. I now have been back in an office for almost a year. And I can tell you, I got more done working at home. Less distractions, less travel time. Not everybody is this way and some are more productive in an office environment.
If a veteran like Clark has shown the coaches that he's disciplined and has a strong work ethic. Then I don't see it as a problem if he spends an hour or 2 on TV in his "free" time. I'm sure he's getting his work in. Now if he floats into camp 10lbs heavy and a step slow, then it's a different story. As long as he's working out on his own and shows up in shape and ready to go he's fine. Besides, this guy is currently the hardest hitting fool in the NFL. I'm glad we signed him back, and remember this guy loves his job and loves doing it in the burgh. Give him a break.

whatdoiknow
04-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Maybe I was out of line. But I still say that a free agent like Clark, who barely got any real offers, was brought back to Pittsburgh at a pretty darn good contract if what I read was right. I think just for good chemistry sakes he should be there. But if not, okay if he is at his home, which I hear is in florida, and is working out hard and spending time with his kids and wife. But, to be staying on the east in Connecticut, and worrying more about being on ESPN First Take as some sort of " Draft Expert ",,,which by the way..Is he ? I think is ridiculous. And kinda disrespectful to the Steelers Organazation.

But hey..Whatdoiknow ?

Psyychoward86
04-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Maybe I was out of line. But I still say that a free agent like Clark, who barely got any real offers, was brought back to Pittsburgh at a pretty darn good contract if what I read was right. I think just for good chemistry sakes he should be there. But if not, okay if he is at his home, which I hear is in florida, and is working out hard and spending time with his kids and wife. But, to be staying on the east in Connecticut, and worrying more about being on ESPN First Take as some sort of " Draft Expert ",,,which by the way..Is he ? I think is ridiculous. And kinda disrespectful to the Steelers Organazation.

But hey..Whatdoiknow ?

like u said, he's probably working hard? There's a lot of people who dont come to these things, including vets. And now is actually kind of a vital time to have one of our own in the media, especially with Ben's problem are. How can you not be proud of Ryan right now

colescott1
04-10-2010, 06:30 AM
Remember...it was also Ryan Clark that defended Ben from not being at the volunteer sessions, saying that as long as when he came, he was ready to do his job, that was all that mattered..... so Ryan is doing the same thing.

I see it more as "walking the talk". As stated above, if he comes in overweight and outta shape, then yeah....lesson learned. Otherwise, what he does in the off season is his business.

rick723
04-10-2010, 08:27 AM
Mountains out of molehills.

AMEN "Ditto"

rick723
04-10-2010, 08:30 AM

But hey..Whatdoiknow ?

Some people ain't happy unless they are bitching about someone/thing else. Just a fact of life. I think the Rooney's and Coach Tomlin may know a thing or two about how to run a football team. You?

Kaeg
04-10-2010, 09:23 AM
It's not really bothering me. As others have stated, as long as he doesn't show up out of shape. I'm wondering if this is something unusual about players not being there for the voluntaries, or if maybe it's roughly the same as always, but there's just an unusual amount of focus on it this year.

Godfather
04-10-2010, 10:19 AM
No reason for Clark to come to the team facility unless Troy is there. The reason we have him is because he's such a good complement to our first ballot Hall of Famer.

Anything else can be done at home.

whatdoiknow
04-10-2010, 10:42 AM
No reason for Clark to come to the team facility unless Troy is there. The reason we have him is because he's such a good complement to our first ballot Hall of Famer.

Anything else can be done at home.

But Clark is NOT at home. He is living about 1,500 miles away from his family, NOT seeing them at all. Living out of a Hotel, and concentrating 15 hours a day on what 5th round pick the Browns are gonna take. And as far as your point about as long as Troy is not there, why should Clark...that's BS. Troy has never been there, and besides this season, Clark has ALWAYS been there. So why the change now ?
Probably cause Clark knows his playing career is almost through, and wants to work on his next career for ESPN.

Either way you slice it, he is wrong. And he is disrespectful to the Steelers.

Prok
04-10-2010, 03:13 PM
How the hell is he dis-respecting the Steelers ???

Did we not just re-sign him ??

Ya think coach Tomlin is in Pittsburgh sweating it out saying "OMG all my players aren't at VOLUNTARY workouts, we're doomed" ???

tony hipchest
04-10-2010, 03:25 PM
But Clark is NOT at home. He is living about 1,500 miles away from his family, NOT seeing them at all. Living out of a Hotel, and concentrating 15 hours a day on what 5th round pick the Browns are gonna take. And as far as your point about as long as Troy is not there, why should Clark...that's BS. Troy has never been there, and besides this season, Clark has ALWAYS been there. So why the change now ?
Probably cause Clark knows his playing career is almost through, and wants to work on his next career for ESPN.

Either way you slice it, he is wrong. And he is disrespectful to the Steelers.

you could say the steelers disrespected clark by giving him a lowball offer, gambling on the fact that he loves his team and didnt want to leave. he gave the hometown discount and accepted less money to stay..

i would say they owe it to him to not make a big deal about him making a little extra cash on the side (on his OWN time) and working to advance his career beyond the steelers.

Rick5895
04-11-2010, 05:10 AM
These "workouts" are just weightlifting and running. I am sure if they were putting in schemes and other football related things all of the players would be there. Clark is , IMO, a true professional, and is more than likely working out on his own. Just because he is working for ESPN doesn't mean he is fat and out of shape.
With all the Ben and Santo drama there is way too much negativity, Let's start on some positives, like we have Clark back, signed a valuable back up in Will Allen, added good depth with Foote etc. Once all the other crap is behind us I am looking forward to a great season.
:tt04:

LVSteelersfan
04-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Does everyone understand the concept of voluntary? It means you do not have to be there. As long as players are working out to keep in shape, I certainly have no problem with what they do during voluntary workout time. I just hope that Ben comes to camp in shape. He seems to be getting heftier and heftier every year.

steelerdave1969
04-11-2010, 09:00 PM
I totally understand that the Steelers org doesnt really want Ben there because of the craziness that it would cause for the rest of the team. And with Ryan Clark missing all the time obviously that he is, he has No Right To Down Ben or Anyone else that is not in camps around the league. Just My Opinion Though
:noidea:

fansince'76
04-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Does everyone understand the concept of voluntary?

Quite a few don't, it appears....