PDA

View Full Version : Best Tradedown Partners?

atlee731
04-10-2010, 11:18 PM
The more I think about the options at 18, and while I favor Pouncey in round 1, it does seem a bit high to draft a center. So, who would be our best trading partners to move back a few places and still land Maurkice and what would we get back in return? I'd love to pick up an additional 2nd or 3rd round pick and lose a 5th, 6th, or 7th.

Looking at the draft order, I could imagine:

20 Houston (targeting Ryan Mathews or Earl Thomas)

22 New England (targeting Graham or Bryant)

23 Green Bay (not sure)

24 Philadelphia (not sure)

Thoughts?

Aussie_steeler
04-11-2010, 02:06 AM
I think Houston sits.

I can honestly see the Pats trading down to get more second round picks. They need to rebuild and get good value for their future dollars. They have shown that they love to build with 2nd rounders

Phili is a real candidate to move but I think they go top 5 to chase Eric Berry or Gerald McCoy if he somehow falls.

The ideal candidates are those teams who are in love with Mike Iupati. That is why I would throw Dallas in the mix. (hell even Pittsburgh West might want to get Faneca 2.0 for Russ Grimm)

My way of thinking is who is of best value at #18. My bet is Mike Iupati, Brandon Graham, Jason Pierre Paul and Earl Thomas.

Teams will trade up for O lineman and passrushers. Trades rarely happen in the top ten but they certainly do hot up in the bottom two thirds of the first round.

The ultimate wildcard in this whole scenario, as always is the Tebow side show. The latest buzz is that Tebow is now considered first round talent by many and someone is going to move up to get him.

Dont write off a team that has already picked in the first and is willing to give up a 2nd and next years first round pick. Pittsburgh will never go down that line, but other clubs have done that in the past.

I cant wait to see the trades that are done Thursday night to start off the second round. This draft is going to be wild.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-11-2010, 06:15 AM
Arizona, Green Bay and Dallas all need OT's....and are in bad positions to pick them up. they may be potential partners in a trade.

I think that San Diego wants NT Dan Williams and they are willing to wait until round 2 for a RB. Williams value is much higher than San Diegos pick at #28....so if they really covet him they might want to move up ahead of teams like Atlanta...Houston...Cincinnatti...who ALL need DT's and who ironcally pick at #19, #20, and #21....putting us in a VERY good spot for a trade.

groundhogday
04-11-2010, 09:59 AM
I think the Steelers should concentrate on moving up not down. We have 10 picks. A bunch won't make the team. We should move up in 1 to get someone like Haden/Thomas or be content on landing Pouncey, Wilson, or Iupati. At a minimu to trading down, it only needs to be so we can move back up into the second.

mwittman5
04-11-2010, 12:09 PM
remember the chargers picked up the seahawks early 2nd rd pick. maybe we can swap 1st rd picks with the chargers and get their 2nd rd pick that they got from the seahawks

Psyychoward86
04-11-2010, 01:54 PM
the 49ers are a great target

Texasteel
04-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Arizona, Green Bay and Dallas all need OT's....and are in bad positions to pick them up. they may be potential partners in a trade.

I think that San Diego wants NT Dan Williams and they are willing to wait until round 2 for a RB. Williams value is much higher than San Diegos pick at #28....so if they really covet him they might want to move up ahead of teams like Atlanta...Houston...Cincinnatti...who ALL need DT's and who ironcally pick at #19, #20, and #21....putting us in a VERY good spot for a trade.

Green Bay has stuck in my mind. They would really like an OT and if one is there, and we don't take him ourselves, they may come calling. Never thought much about SD but your right. If Williams slides to 18, and again if we don't want to take him they could call us as well. I'm pretty sure that we could get GB's 3rd round pick.

steelerdave1969
04-11-2010, 09:06 PM
I personally dont see the Steelers trading down unless someone just blows their minds with a crazy offer. . . but thats just me:noidea:

Cmdurand21
04-11-2010, 09:25 PM
If a Safety like Earl Thomas is still on the board, we maybe be able to get the Saint 1st 3rd and 5th for our 1st and 6th. Pouncey might still be on the board then, but that's a long way to fall for just a 3rd and 5th. I think we'd only make a deal if there is no one we covet left on the board.

Texasteel
04-12-2010, 05:11 AM
I personally dont see the Steelers trading down unless someone just blows their minds with a crazy offer. . . but thats just me:noidea:

No its not just you. Most, if not all, of us would rather see us stay put and get one of the names we've been throwing around. This is just, what if talk.

supa_fly_steeler
04-12-2010, 05:34 AM
No its not just you. Most, if not all, of us would rather see us stay put and get one of the names we've been throwing around. This is just, what if talk.

I can't see us trading down because of the draft picks.

Especially where we are situated right in the middle of round 1. Someone great will fall to us.

I would trade with the Dolphins #12 or 49ers #13 or Seahawks #14 if Earl Thomas is still on the board.

Cmdurand21
04-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Now that we have so many 5th round picks, I think you might see us trade up in the 2nd round to get Golden Tate if he is available. I'd love to have him, and he would fit into Ward's spot in 2-3 years. I am also worried about Mike Wallace. We just dumped a truck load of pressure on this young guy, so it would be nice to see another young talent take some of the heat off him. Maybe Sweed? :rofl:

mulldog24
04-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Now that we have so many 5th round picks, I think you might see us trade up in the 2nd round to get Golden Tate if he is available. I'd love to have him, and he would fit into Ward's spot in 2-3 years. I am also worried about Mike Wallace. We just dumped a truck load of pressure on this young guy, so it would be nice to see another young talent take some of the heat off him. Maybe Sweed? :rofl:

I like this idea a lot! Not only is Golden Tate a great WR but also a KR/PR and the thing for me is that Tate is a converted RB so maybe he could be a 3rd down back as well. It would be sweet to have someone with his receiving skills coming out of the backfield on a 3rd down situation.:tt03::drink:

Aussie_steeler
04-13-2010, 06:30 PM

The two 5th round picks packaged are worth about 65 points

That equates to

1 position in round 1 (1-18 to 1-17)
6 positions in round 2 ( 2-20 to 2 - 14)
13 positions in round 3 ( 3-18 to 3-5)
22 positions in round 4(4 -18 to 3 -28)

Under those scenarios I just dont see us moving high enough up to get a person like golden tate. Maybe an Aurelious Benn?

I like the idea of moving up in the 3rd if a quality OLB is available like Koa Misi. I really see a need for a good 3rd OLB on this current roster.

whatdoiknow
04-13-2010, 06:47 PM
remember the chargers picked up the seahawks early 2nd rd pick. maybe we can swap 1st rd picks with the chargers and get their 2nd rd pick that they got from the seahawks

I agree that San Diego is a good trade partner. But no way do they toss their pick at 40 to move up from 28 to 18. That's way too high of value according to the official trade value chart. I'd say something more like we deal 18 & 52 to San Diego for their picks at 28 & 40, and their 4th rounder at 126 and their first 5th rounder at 159.

It actually works out better for the Chargers on that trade value chart.

Set-Man
04-13-2010, 07:47 PM
I would sit at 18 and take either Kyle Wilson (who should be there) or Earl Thomas(if he is there).
It would be nice to somehow move up in the second to grab Golden Tate. I know people say we don't need a receiver but unless Sweed reinvents himself we are thin there.
Ward- on his last legs (literally)
ARE- slot
Wallace- are only legit receiver
battle- special teams
Sweed- enough said

We need another good one. Holmes was a big loss and I don't care what anyone says. I understand the trade (not what we got for him) but he was a great receiver

taztroy43
04-13-2010, 08:25 PM
I would sit at 18 and take either Kyle Wilson (who should be there) or Earl Thomas(if he is there).
It would be nice to somehow move up in the second to grab Golden Tate. I know people say we don't need a receiver but unless Sweed reinvents himself we are thin there.
Ward- on his last legs (literally)
ARE- slot
Wallace- are only legit receiver
battle- special teams
Sweed- enough said

We need another good one. Holmes was a big loss and I don't care what anyone says. I understand the trade (not what we got for him) but he was a great receiver

:thumbsup: I agree w/ u completely

Steely McSmash
04-13-2010, 10:06 PM
One thing of interest is the order of the 3-4 teams.

5 KC
9 BUF
11 DEN
12 MIA
13 SF
17 SF (kind of run a hybrid I think)
18 PIT
22 NE
23 GB
25 BAL
26 AZ
27 DAL
28 SD
29 NYJ

If a great 3-4 Prospect like Brandon Graham, Sergio Kindle or Jared Odrick falls to us at 18, there are 7 teams tightly clustered below us that might be interested in jumping past the pack to get their guy. Maybe even for Cody. If there's no special player there at 18, I would move down 5-10 in a hearbeat to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd.

With GB as mentioned, we trade 1.18 and 6.18 for 1.23 and 3.22.
AZ is hurting for OLB, Also have 4 picks in the top 3 rounds to move up. Trade there might be 1.18, 4.18, 5.18, 5.32, for 1.26, 2.26. Of course you know they'd be interested in one of our players in the trade:rofl:. Maybe 1.18 and Nick Eason for 1.26 and 2.26?