PDA

View Full Version : 9-21, 123 yds, 2 int

tony hipchest
02-05-2006, 10:20 PM
go ben. youngest sb champ ever!

Koopa
02-05-2006, 10:23 PM
yeah he played horrible but made plays when they matter. next year he'll play a whole lot better when we repeat

TexaSteeler
02-05-2006, 10:24 PM
For having an "off" game, he still came up big when we needed it.

Congats Ben!!

Steeler in Carolina
02-05-2006, 10:25 PM
His best play was late when it looked like either him or Bettis went the wrong way and Ben still made the first down.

PisnNapalm
02-05-2006, 10:25 PM
His scrambling ability kept us in the game on key plays. He's only going to get better. Go BEN!

marksashton
02-05-2006, 10:26 PM
"Big Ben" had less to do with the outcome of the game than most of the players on the field and all of the regs. He was...less than medicre. His only big play was...nice...but extremely lucky at 3 and 28. But hey, he has bragging rights. Even if he was mediocre.

SteelerzGirl
02-05-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm so proud of Ben. He's come such a long way from last year. Come hell or high water, he was determined to keep his promise to Jerome, and he stayed true to his word, along with all the Pittsburgh Steelers. He gave us one heck of a ride! Super Bowl XL Champions, baby! :bouncy:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Ben made some key plays when he had too..not his best game but we couldnt have done it without him

jaysta
02-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Hey Roger Staubach was MVP of Super Bowl 6 with only 119 yards and he didn't lay his body on the line like Big Ben did tonight! He did what he needed too and it worked. Go Big Ben! Here's one for you! :cheers:

steveprs
02-05-2006, 10:35 PM
he had an off game but he got us here so he will be better next time.

TapOut64
02-05-2006, 10:42 PM
The way I look at it, Ben got the Steelers to the Super Bowl. Yes, he had an off night, but he got them there.

siss
02-05-2006, 11:00 PM
As much as I love the guy you dont have an "off" night at the super bowl!

tony hipchest
02-05-2006, 11:28 PM
ben had a great night people. you know why? because he got them there and it was a team effort.

3 to be 4
02-06-2006, 04:46 PM
exactly. its all about the winning. And Ben is a winner.

I.C. Lights
02-06-2006, 05:07 PM
When you have a great team, people step up when others struggle. We've been doing it all season.

Koopa's right that next time in the Super Bowl, we'll see the Ben we're used to - pressure will be much easier to deal with now that he already has one under his belt!

SteelerFanInCA
02-06-2006, 05:11 PM
All the crap doesn't matter now. He played strong to get us into the show.

Man_Of_Steel
02-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Poor kid was nervous as sin. Heck even Hines Ward asked Ray Lewis before the game if it was okay to be this nervous and he said "yeah, all the great ones are."

Don't worry about Ben, he'll do better next year. :bouncy:

Need4spd
02-06-2006, 06:01 PM
All in all, he played an absolutely dreadful game. He personally made one good play and that of course was the 3rd and 28 to Hines that got them down to the 3 yard line. And quite honestly, that ball was under-thrown and I thought Hines really made a great adjustment on that pass to make the play. Hence, he is the MVP of the game. I will say this, the way Ben kept that play alive buying time, scrambling out of the pocket while still having the presence of mind to not step over the line of scrimmage, and finding an open receiver looked awfully reminiscent of a play that Brett Favre might make in that situation. This season not withstanding, anything Ben does that resembles Favre is all right by me. He's only 23 years old folks, I think we've got a pretty good dozen or so seasons to look forward to.

OX1947
02-06-2006, 07:19 PM
This isnt baseball fellas. Numbers dont mean jack. He made one bad mistake the whole game. Seattle played great D, i think they were the cause of him playing bad more then ben not playing well. But made 5 or 6 big plays in the game. Emmitt Smith had 49 yards in SB XXX. No one remembers that much. Ben will be known as the youngest QB to ever win a ring and is 27-4 in his career in two seasons...

SteelersNation7
02-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Ben did not have a great night, but let's remember he's only 23, two years in the NFL, First Super Bowl...lot's of pressure...he will grow from this...for crying out loud fans were not here if it wasnt for him...can you emagine what it's going to be like for many years around here????AWESOME!!!!!

LambertIsGod58
02-06-2006, 07:48 PM
This isnt baseball fellas. Numbers dont mean jack. He made one bad mistake the whole game. Seattle played great D, i think they were the cause of him playing bad more then ben not playing well. But made 5 or 6 big plays in the game. Emmitt Smith had 49 yards in SB XXX. No one remembers that much. Ben will be known as the youngest QB to ever win a ring and is 27-4 in his career in two seasons...

I agree Ox....Seattle D was that good, I thought. Especially in the 1st half. Ben was one of the main reasons why we made it. After all he gave us "the Tackle" vs Indy and last night gave us "the Block" with Randle El's TD pass to Ward.

Need4spd
02-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Oh there's no question that he is one of, if not the single biggest reasons that we are Super Bowl champions today. No question about that what so ever. And I know he's only 23 years old, and I know about the immense amount of pressure, I'm just speaking about this particular game. Statistics do count for something, and his weren't good. I think they were pretty much right in line with how well he really played. He just looked out of sync the whole game. The last 3 games in these playoffs I thought he played with excellent rythem, finding open receivers, delivering the ball on time, and in this game he just didn't. Those two picks he threw were not bad reads, they were bad throws. Again, this takes nothing away at all from the wonderful season that he had overall, especially in the playoffs. I mean he was down right extraordinary in the playoffs. If there was an MVP award for the post-season as a whole, he'd have run away with it. Ben carried the team on his back through the playoffs, and in this final game, they carried him a little bit because they had to, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Sorry for being so long winded. GO STEELERS!!!

LambertIsGod58
02-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Oh there's no question that he is one of, if not the single biggest reasons that we are Super Bowl champions today. No question about that what so ever. And I know he's only 23 years old, and I know about the immense amount of pressure, I'm just speaking about this particular game. Statistics do count for something, and his weren't good. I think they were pretty much right in line with how well he really played. He just looked out of sync the whole game. The last 3 games in these playoffs I thought he played with excellent rythem, finding open receivers, delivering the ball on time, and in this game he just didn't. Those two picks he threw were not bad reads, they were bad throws. Again, this takes nothing away at all from the wonderful season that he had overall, especially in the playoffs. I mean he was down right extraordinary in the playoffs. If there was an MVP award for the playoffs as a whole, he'd have run away with it. Ben carried the team on his back through the playoffs, and in this final game, they carried him a little bit because they had to, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Sorry for being so long winded. GO STEELERS!!!

Yes on all counts, that's what teammates do....

Steve_Courson's_Liver
02-06-2006, 08:15 PM
In the Era of Fantasy Football fa gotry... people tend to dwell on stats. The point is to WIN THE GAME... not post gaudy stats. Yes.. Ben was off. But he came up huge when he had to.

Watching the game, I was nervous as hell, so I could not imagine actually having to play in the game. I mean... Ward vomited before the game and he is not in his second year like Ben. I think Ben mastered the playoffs this year and stumbled in the Superbowl... next year he masters the Superbowl.

atrus20
02-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Lets look at some other winning QB stats for the super bowl.

Super Bowl XL Roethlisberger 9/21 123yds 2INT

Super Bowl XXXVI Brady 16/27 145yds 1TD (Brady's first win)

Super Bowl XXXV Dilfer 12/25 153yds 1TD

Super Bowl XXXII Elway 12/22 123yds 1INT (Elway's first win)

Yeah I'll take them numbers! :cool:

thanks www.superbowl.com :peace:

Need4spd
02-06-2006, 09:25 PM
atrus... I love the quote by Troy there in your signature. That's pretty sweet.

atrus20
02-06-2006, 09:32 PM
atrus... I love the quote by Troy there in your signature. That's pretty sweet.

Thanks. It was something he said for media day and it just clicked with me.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=4665

tony hipchest
02-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Lets look at some other winning QB stats for the super bowl.

Super Bowl XL Roethlisberger 9/21 123yds 2INT

Super Bowl XXXVI Brady 16/27 145yds 1TD (Brady's first win)

Super Bowl XXXV Dilfer 12/25 153yds 1TD

Super Bowl XXXII Elway 12/22 123yds 1INT (Elway's first win)

Yeah I'll take them numbers! :cool:

thanks www.superbowl.com :peace:

me too. its cool how ben matched elways passing yards. the point of this thread is that most people said ben would have to play the game of his life or be as good as he was in the other 3 playoff wins. some analysts even went so far to say the steelers couldnt win if the steelers went back to their run first philosophy. these numbers mean nothing to me other than a testament to how good the steelers are as a team to overcome one of their stars not having a stellar preformance. ben delivered on his year old promise to get jerome to detroit and he delivered the 4 gameballs he promised to jerome in the playoffs.

clevestinks
02-06-2006, 09:37 PM
go ben. youngest sb champ ever!
Hines Ward two big drops one would have been a TD
Tumane a drop
Wilson a drop.

25 yards rushing and 4 first downs, huge.

Key block on Els TD pass Huge

OX1947
02-06-2006, 09:46 PM
No one is giving Seattle's D credit. Not even Seahawks fans are giving credit to their own defense. I think Seattle was more of the problem for Ben then his decision making. That INT was a perfect gamble that paid off. The Seattle defense has the speed and the talent to cover alot of space. Its funny how one play can change things, but if Ben hits Cedrick on that pass, Big Ben wins the MVP. At that point, no one had seperated themselves as the star player. But I think ultimatly, both defenses played very well and we just hit enough big plays to win....