PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Cup Playoffs. Round One. Bring on the Sens!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Fire Haley
04-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Last year, Pens fought their asses off to get the 4th seed. This year, they kinda stumbled into it - losing every meaningful game against the Caps and Devils to get there.

Not a confidence builder for me, but, we'll see if they can find the light switch in the dark,

Sens just lost their best forward Kovalev - torn ACL.

If the Pens lose the first game against the Sens - panic will ensue.

Pens in 6.

X-Terminator
04-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Last year, Pens fought their asses off to get the 4th seed. This year, they kinda stumbled into it - losing every meaningful game against the Caps and Devils to get there.

Not a confidence builder for me, but, we'll see if they can find the light switch in the dark,

Sens just lost their best forward Kovalev - torn ACL.

If the Pens lose the first game against the Sens - panic will ensue.

Pens in 6.

Kovalev is not the Sens' best forward - Daniel Alfredsson is. His numbers are down only because he missed 15 games due to injury this year. Jason Spezza is another one, but he has a history of not being a great playoff performer. Basically this series will come down to whether or not the Pens can play their game. If they do, they will make life miserable for the Sens, because after Volchenkov and Phillips, their defense is average at best. If they are flat, it'll give the Sens every reason to think they can beat them. They will also need Brian Elliott to play better than Fleury if they are to have any chance of winning this series.

I also say Pens in 6. They are the better team and they will prove it to the Sens once again.

#1 Big Ben Fan
04-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Pens in a five and I'm not worried about this team. They're battled tested enough and I'm sure they will turn on that extra gear once the play-offs starts.

Edman
04-11-2010, 08:13 PM
New Jersey winning the Atlantic hasn't won them much. They've been poor in the playoffs recently.

X-Terminator
04-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Series starts Wednesday:

Wednesday, April 14 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. TBA
Friday, April 16 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. TBA
Sunday, April 18 at Ottawa, 6:30 p.m. TBA
Tuesday, April 20 at Ottawa, 7:00 p.m. TBA
*Thursday, April 22 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. TBA
*Saturday, April 24 at Ottawa, 7:00 p.m. TBA
*Tuesday, April 27 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. TBA

Only 2 day break is between games 6 and 7, if it gets that far. Sounds good to me. HTG and I will be at the game on Wednesday - can't wait!

SteelCityMan786
04-11-2010, 09:58 PM
New Jersey winning the Atlantic hasn't won them much. They've been poor in the playoffs recently.

Best Performance in the last 3 years was 2007. That same year they lost to Ottawa in the next round.

Anyway. I see this series going 6-7 games. Ottawa hasn't made it easy to beat them, and they're not about to start.

Fire Haley
04-11-2010, 11:08 PM
NHL.com says they're all on Versus and CBC. No NBC game.

7SteelGal43
04-11-2010, 11:28 PM
LET'S GO PENS :tt03:

steelpride12
04-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Alright well im going to be super confident and say the Pens go into the game 100% healthy and go out and kick major ass! I feel they will turn it on for the playoffs and become the lethal threat on offense.

Now the defense with Rich Boy Letang and GoGo I am slightly worried. Either way this just will turn out to be a long, good series with momentum going back and forth!

Pens in 6.

SteelCityMom
04-12-2010, 12:09 AM
NHL.com says they're all on Versus and CBC. No NBC game.

Works for me! That means all playoff games should be available on the Jumbotron outside Mellon (assuming they're doing it again this year). We've had a blast there the past couple years.

Galax Steeler
04-12-2010, 04:07 AM
Lets go Pens lets go kick some butts.

supa_fly_steeler
04-12-2010, 04:17 AM
Sens in 6.

Losing a 5-2 lead to the islanders is a disgrace.

Being shutout 2 times in six games is a disgrace, this team is nothing without crosby and malkin.

Just saying. GO KINGS

steelpride12
04-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Sens in 6.

Losing a 5-2 lead to the islanders is a disgrace.

Being shutout 2 times in six games is a disgrace, this team is nothing without crosby and malkin.

Just saying. GO KINGS

The game the Pens still won? The Game the Pens were without Kunitz, Poni, Orpik, and Cooke, and where all that mattered was Sid scoring and not getting any injuries?

And Sid and Malkin will be there for the playoffs sooo they will be fine in the PA's.

supa_fly_steeler
04-12-2010, 11:09 AM
The game the Pens still won? The Game the Pens were without Kunitz, Poni, Orpik, and Cooke, and where all that mattered was Sid scoring and not getting any injuries?

And Sid and Malkin will be there for the playoffs sooo they will be fine in the PA's.

Oh ahaha Cooke LMAO.

I remember the cheapshot artist.

Didn't he want a fight with Kane, then Kane knocked him out.

I will sacrifice 100 bulls to Kane for that.

I don't think it's fine. Fleury has been so inconsistent this season. I wonder sometimes if he was actually worth the 1st round pick. It's not fine when your team can't function on the powerplay and give up tacky goals either as i said Bent Johnson sucked all season or the Penguins really were bad.

steelpride12
04-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Oh ahaha Cooke LMAO.

I don't think it's fine. Fleury has been so inconsistent this season. I wonder sometimes if he was actually worth the 1st round pick. It's not fine when your team can't function on the powerplay and give up tacky goals either as i said Bent Johnson sucked all season or the Penguins really were bad.

Ya Cooke with 15 goals and 30 points and a key players for the team and third line. He brings an emotion to the team many wish they had believe me he is important to this team!

Oh Fluery the goalie who took the team to the finals in consecutive years and won the the cup the second time and your going to bash him because he is having an off season, but still managed the 4th seed and 37 wins 8th best in the league. Sorry, but I won't complain.

SteelCityMom
04-12-2010, 11:18 AM
Oh ahaha Cooke LMAO.

Yeah, two SCF's two years in a row (with one being a win). Fleury sucks. Definitely not worth the 1st round pick.

Listen, Pens probably aren't going to win the cup again...only bandwagoners think they're going to win the cup and have amazing seasons every single year, but they are set to make the playoffs and be cup contenders for a long time. There's maybe a handful of teams in the league that can say the same.

BTW, the Kings aren't one of them (never were), so I predict you'll be hopping on some other "hot" teams bandwagon next year. Nucks in 5, Pens in 5 or 6.

supa_fly_steeler
04-12-2010, 11:19 AM
Ya Cooke with 15 goals and 30 points and a key players for the team and third line. He brings an emotion to the team many wish they had believe me he is important to this team!

Oh Fluery the goalie who took the team to the finals in consecutive years and won the the cup the second time and your going to bash him because he is having an off season, but still managed the 4th seed and 37 wins 8th best in the league. Sorry, but I won't complain.

Seriously outside of the Penguins nobody likes Cooke the cheapshot artist, he got served good and he deserved it.

LOl serves him the lesson somewhere Savard is grinning, and i am still laughing

Who cares if Fleury won it last year, INCONSISTENCY is inconsistency.

I don't get whats up with you anything negative about the penguins and you start crying.

The Difference Between the Kings and the Penguins

roMPetM2ie4

1uFUNv6csIc

I still want you to beat the Crapitals.

supa_fly_steeler
04-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah, two SCF's two years in a row (with one being a win). Fleury sucks. Definitely not worth the 1st round pick.

Listen, Pens probably aren't going to win the cup again...only bandwagoners think they're going to win the cup and have amazing seasons every single year, but they are set to make the playoffs and be cup contenders for a long time. There's maybe a handful of teams in the league that can say the same.

BTW, the Kings aren't one of them (never were), so I predict you'll be hopping on some other "hot" teams bandwagon next year. Nucks in 5, Pens in 5 or 6.

Firstly I never said Fluery sucks.

Top 5 goalies in league on their good days

1. tim thomas
2. lundqvist
3. fleury
4. luongo
5. brodeur

Secondly dont call me a bandwagoner when i stay to watch the kings start the game at 4am and then work at 8am, you know nothing about my passion for supporting teams.

I wonder how many of you penguin fans stay up if you would to 4am to watch your team.

Oh btw we recently beat the Canucks 8-3.

And at least when we are winning by a large margain we keep it.

steelpride12
04-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Seriously outside of the Penguins nobody likes Cooke the cheapshot artist, he got served good and he deserved it.

LOl serves him the lesson somewhere Savard is grinning, and i am still laughing

Who cares if Fleury won it last year, INCONSISTENCY is inconsistency.

I don't get whats up with you anything negative about the penguins and you start crying.

The Difference Between the Kings and the Penguins

roMPetM2ie4

1uFUNv6csIc

I still want you to beat the Crapitals.

Inconsistent? 37 wins is not inconsistent! Oh the Kings can fight? Wow I forgot fighting wins championships your right. Oh that's right 0 Cups even with Gretzky. You be a fan of them all you want it's your choice.

supa_fly_steeler
04-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Inconsistent? 37 wins is not inconsistent! Oh the Kings can fight? Wow I forgot fighting wins championships your right. Oh that's right 0 Cups even with Gretzky. You be a fan of them all you want it's your choice.

So who cares about the wins, as you say.

PLAYOFFS MATTER THE MOST OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be a fan for the Kings for all my life, I cant wait until Simmonds if he has the chance fights with Cooke.

Hopefully it will be more than just a little beating.

steelpride12
04-12-2010, 11:37 AM
So who cares about the wins, as you say.

PLAYOFFS MATTER THE MOST OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be a fan for the Kings for all my life, I cant wait until Simmonds if he has the chance fights with Cooke.

Hopefully it will be more than just a little beating.

Cooke is an agitator not a fighter. Sorry if you don't like that. Ill take a non fighter any day when he contributes to the Pens the way he does. Yes Playoffs do matter most and the Pens know how to play solid hockey in them.

SteelCityMom
04-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Firstly I never said Fluery sucks.

Top 5 goalies in league on their good days

1. tim thomas
2. lundqvist
3. fleury
4. luongo
5. brodeur

Secondly dont call me a bandwagoner when i stay to watch the kings start the game at 4am and then work at 8am, you know nothing about my passion for supporting teams.

I wonder how many of you penguin fans stay up if you would to 4am to watch your team.

Oh btw we recently beat the Canucks 8-3.

And at least when we are winning by a large margain we keep it.

Fleury has NEVER been consistent in the regular season, so that doesn't worry me at all. He's more than proven he can step up to the challenge in big games.

I look for Malkin and Guerin to have the biggest impact against the Sens...they are the top point getters in the 4 games against this year. Crosby traditionally has not had big games against the Sens, but he's been playing on another level lately and I don't expect that to diminish any.

Sens also have a dismal 18-21-2 away record this year, so that plays into the Pens hands very well. My only real concern in the playoffs is defense (specifically Gogo and Letang). If they can step up their game, even just a little bit, I don't think the Sens have a chance.

And yes, I would stay up till 4am to watch Pens games. I don't sleep until then most nights anyway. I only questioned your fanhood of the Kings because it's so...random. Nobody anywhere really talked about the Kings (at least since Gretzky left) until this year. Not even people from LA.

SteelCityMom
04-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Pens have decent fighters too...just sayin'.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UVGCJ1OyE9k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UVGCJ1OyE9k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/36OoQBZiz64&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/36OoQBZiz64&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-bpxg6W1Dk0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-bpxg6W1Dk0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yGFFT8wud3U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yGFFT8wud3U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

supa_fly_steeler
04-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Fleury has NEVER been consistent in the regular season, so that doesn't worry me at all. He's more than proven he can step up to the challenge in big games.

I look for Malkin and Guerin to have the biggest impact against the Sens...they are the top point getters in the 4 games against this year. Crosby traditionally has not had big games against the Sens, but he's been playing on another level lately and I don't expect that to diminish any.

Sens also have a dismal 18-21-2 away record this year, so that plays into the Pens hands very well. My only real concern in the playoffs is defense (specifically Gogo and Letang). If they can step up their game, even just a little bit, I don't think the Sens have a chance.

And yes, I would stay up till 4am to watch Pens games. I don't sleep until then most nights anyway. I only questioned your fanhood of the Kings because it's so...random. Nobody anywhere really talked about the Kings (at least since Gretzky left) until this year. Not even people from LA.

I only think the Pens won't be good agains the Sens because i think their the darkhorse, and well the Pens have had to worried the past few weeks. Even if you beat the Sens u got the Devils and then the Caps which is hell.

Greztky's best assist was to Yezerman lol, Simmonds is the stuff right now, love his style of play.

An agitator imo is just a wuss. Simmonds is what 180lbs and he fights 220-230lbs. It just shows how much of a dude he is like below.

He goes right after a defensemen and kinda wins

nZGHbl-jXCg

Yes there are some bandwagoners, I dont register at the Kings because of that, so i decide to give my opinions on the penguins thread.

Im glad you would stay up to 4am to watch, now it will be 6am for me when i have to go to turkey for a few months for business and then hong kong idk what time.

SteelCityMom
04-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Simmonds is a decent fighter of course (although Getzlaf and Stuart are probably not the best examples of why lol)...but not sure why you are bringing up Simmonds in response to Cooke. Cooke (as has been mentioned) is not known to be a decent fighter, he's an agitator. The Pens already have a couple of enforcers on the team in Rupp and Godard.

supa_fly_steeler
04-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks for being one of the few to at least be civilised in the conversation.

And to just say, after the penguins won the stanley cup i shifted to supporting the kings because i liked them for what they were, not liking the team because i loved the football team.

i couldnt care if they sucked, growing up liking soccer my local team wasn't very good always went into administration, all my friends supported the big teams, for me its the enjoyment. i couldnt care less if they are one hit wonders.

steelpride12
04-12-2010, 12:14 PM
And you can like any team you won't Im not going to judge you for that at all, but Cooke and Simmonds are two different players. Cooke is the agitator starts things, scores and contributes to the third line and we have Rupp and Godard as our enforcers when things get out of hand.

SteelCityMom
04-12-2010, 04:59 PM
One of the best part of Pens playoff hockey? That's right...more Yinz luv da Guins (though not as many this year as I've been accustomed to in past years :(

<object width="960" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/upQp1pTyqyc&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/upQp1pTyqyc&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="960" height="745"></embed></object>

steelpride12
04-12-2010, 06:28 PM
I love Yinz Luv Da Guins watch every episode SteelCityMom. It is a shame he didn't do many episodes and looks like only one after 4 games of a series.

Fire Haley
04-13-2010, 08:39 PM
inj updates

Left winger Alexei Ponikarovsky is eligible to return from a two-game NHL suspension for Game 1 of the playoffs. Also expected back are Matt Cooke (head) and Chris Kunitz (shoulder).

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10103/1049966-61.stm

steelpride12
04-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Yupp team is expected to be 100% healthy for game one!

Galax Steeler
04-14-2010, 03:57 AM
Can't wait Lets go Pens.

supa_fly_steeler
04-14-2010, 05:29 AM
PREDICTION
Penguins - 3
Senators - 2

Goals from Crosby, Letang and a Powerplay goal by Gonchar sees the Penguins win the first game of the series

HometownGal
04-14-2010, 05:42 AM
I'll be at the game tonight with a friend of mine, as XT prefers to watch the game from his home under the circumstances.

Looks like we'll have everyone back and though I'm expecting a close and hard fought game, I think the Pens will come out of this one with a huge W. :hope: :applaudit:

Enjoy the game everyone! :drink:

LETS GO PENS!

stlrtruck
04-14-2010, 07:41 AM
I'll be at the game tonight with a friend of mine, as XT prefers to watch the game from his home under the circumstances.

Looks like we'll have everyone back and though I'm expecting a close and hard fought game, I think the Pens will come out of this one with a huge W. :hope: :applaudit:

Enjoy the game everyone! :drink:

LETS GO PENS!

Where are your seats? I'm gonna try to find you (as if I know what you look like) LOL and point you out to THE PRINCESS!

Anyway, should be a good opening game as long as the PENS skate completely opposite of how I saw them skate the last game I saw them play.

supa_fly_steeler
04-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Malkin Contracts Bug, Morning Skate to sit out first game
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10103/1143686-34.stm

Dan Bylsma at the Morning Skate addressed concerns about Malkins health.

"He will be a gametime decision" said Byslma.

READ MORE (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10103/1143686-34.stm)

SteelCityMom
04-14-2010, 09:41 AM
Malkin Contracts Bug, Morning Skate to sit out first game
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10103/1143686-34.stm

Dan Bylsma at the Morning Skate addressed concerns about Malkins health.

"He will be a gametime decision" said Byslma.

READ MORE (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10103/1143686-34.stm)

Do you have a working link to this story? Can't find it posted anywhere.

steelpride12
04-14-2010, 09:57 AM
Man I hope Malkin is not going to be out tonight. I thought the injury report said 100% all healthy and ready to go. Any confirmed link please?

steelerdude15
04-14-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm really hoping Malkin plays tonight, that's going to hurt a little if he isn't. I still feel they can pull it off, Let's Go Pens!

supa_fly_steeler
04-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Lolz im just joking.

Its my late april fools joke.

He will be playing :D

p.s. i hope i didnt jinx

steelerdude15
04-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Lolz im just joking.

p.s. i hope i didnt jinx
:chuckle: You scared me there for a second.

steelpride12
04-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Kunitz is truly a game time decision though.

supa_fly_steeler
04-14-2010, 11:46 AM
:chuckle: You scared me there for a second.

Lol.

If Malkin was out i would cry

SteelMember
04-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Lolz im just joking.

p.s. i hope i didnt jinx

Bad supa fly!

http://uconnladybug.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/fly_swatter.jpg

http://www.makinmomoney.com/dead_fly.jpg

:nono:

Fire Haley
04-14-2010, 12:02 PM
inj update update

Kunitz out for game 1

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/

Looks like all the Pens games will be on Versus!

Thank you DirecTV - woo-hoo - their HD is awesome, and Deb Placey is my girl

Fire Haley
04-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Pens/Wings Game 7 on NHL network right now - get it fired up!

SteelersBry79
04-14-2010, 03:38 PM
I am ready for this!!!!! I got my Malkin t-shirt and jersey ready and I'm going down to Nigro's to watch the game and drink some beer!!! GO PENS!!!!!!!!!! WOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! :tt03::tt03:

supa_fly_steeler
04-14-2010, 03:47 PM
Nigro's? lol

SteelersBry79
04-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Nigro's? lol

Nigro's restaurant. 5th Avenue, North Versailles, PA Good food and cheap beer during Steelers and Penguins games.

steelpride12
04-14-2010, 04:08 PM
I can't freaking wait any longer!!! COME ON PENS!

supa_fly_steeler
04-14-2010, 05:38 PM
22 mins left

WH
04-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Cough....Jordan Staal misses a wide open oppurtunity. Surprise, Surprise.

steelerdude15
04-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Come on Pens!

supa_fly_steeler
04-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Lmao Sens are owning your rink at the moment.

All this rubbish about playoffs are a new meaning.

Lmao not tonight. It's been awful.

supa_fly_steeler
04-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Whow.

Sens 3-1.

Im calling the Sens 4-0 series

steelerdude15
04-14-2010, 07:11 PM
Come on Pens, clean up the play!

supa_fly_steeler
04-14-2010, 07:28 PM
malkin might save your sorry butts this game

Dodt
04-14-2010, 07:50 PM
lets go pens.

SteelCityMom
04-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Whow.

Sens 3-1.

Im calling the Sens 4-0 series

Gotta love the kind of people who call series based off one game. LOL @ 4-0 series.

SteelCityMom
04-14-2010, 08:10 PM
BTW....Flyers are beating the Devils 2-0 right now. I would not be the least bit sorry to see the Flyers knock them out. The Flyers absolutely owned the Devs in the regular season.

ADAMS SCORES!!!!!!!!!! None in the regular season and he gets a huge one now. It's a one goal game again!

LETS GO PENS!!!

SteelCityMom
04-14-2010, 08:20 PM
:countdown Ruutu! Makes it 5-3.

Fleury's having a bad game...I expect perfection from him the next few games, as is his usual after such a poor performance.

As long as the Caps or Wings don't win the cup, I'm cool.

Dodt
04-14-2010, 08:23 PM
another powerplay chance for the pens

OneForTheToe
04-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Flower is going to have to play better than this. And he should know by now he won't get much help.

OneForTheToe
04-14-2010, 08:32 PM
nice Go Go.

SteelCityMom
04-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Gogo scores to make it 5-4! Come on guys! 2 minutes left!

SteelCityMom
04-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Flower is going to have to play better than this. And he should know by now he won't get much help.

He will, that's the one thing I'm sure of.

Dodt
04-14-2010, 08:36 PM
almost.

SteelCityMom
04-14-2010, 08:36 PM
Well, Sens take the first game...I know the next game will be better though...Fleury rarely had 2 bad games in a row.

OneForTheToe
04-14-2010, 08:40 PM
This is why you can't play average going into the playoffs and expect to flip a switch ... I'm certainly not giving up on the Pens, but if their D doesn't improve, and flower doesn't start stepping up his game more consistently, it is going to be a very short playoff run this season.

steelerdude15
04-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Damnit. :banging: I loved how they tried rallying back and that was a beautiful back-hander by Adams. There were some weaknesses that will need to be fixed, but it won't be an easy fight Ottawa! Let's Go Pens! :tt02:

steelerdude15
04-14-2010, 08:43 PM
:iagree:

X-Terminator
04-14-2010, 08:49 PM
The Pens will win this series. Bank it. I'm not going to get all butt-hurt over one game where if Fleury plays decently and the Sens don't get that gift goal, they likely win. Brian Elliott did not impress me one bit and if the Pens really get their game going and start peppering him with shots, he is going to be toast.

BTW, just ignore supa_fly - all he's trying to do is get you all riled up, and some of you are falling for it.

OneForTheToe
04-14-2010, 08:57 PM
The Pens will win this series. Bank it. I'm not going to get all butt-hurt over one game where if Fleury plays decently and the Sens don't get that gift goal, they likely win. Brian Elliott did not impress me one bit and if the Pens really get their game going and start peppering him with shots, he is going to be toast.

BTW, just ignore supa_fly - all he's trying to do is get you all riled up, and some of you are falling for it.

Good to see you around XT. I don't disagree with you. I just think these are the types of games the Pens won the last two seasons. Either flower would make a spectacular save or somebody gets that goal at the end. It just seems this year, in those situations, we are coming up short more often. Still, I am certainly not giving up. As you said, we should win this series. Also, one thing about the Pens, the road does not scare them.

SteelCityMom
04-14-2010, 08:58 PM

Agree with you completely. I think Fleury will bounce back with some great performances, as is his usual during the regular and post season. The shots on both sides were very low as well, this certainly won't be the norm in all the games.

I know I shouldn't be bothered by supa's statements...I just think some of them are very silly and can't help making it known lol.

OneForTheToe
04-14-2010, 09:01 PM
At least the Debils lost.

Fire Haley
04-14-2010, 09:18 PM
No over-analyzing necessary - when Fleury is a sieve - they lose.

SteelCityMom
04-14-2010, 09:24 PM
At least the Debils lost.

Flyers are going to destroy the Devils...bank on it. They won 5 out of 6 regular season games against them this year. It may sound weird, but the Flyers are the last team the Devils wanted to see in the playoffs.

Shea
04-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Well, atleast Adams got a goal. :chuckle:

I'm not worried about this series either. All tonight showed me was that the series will atleast go to five games, probably six.

As for the West - anyone care what happens there?

steelpride12
04-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Well im going to say good game Pens seriously. I mean yes Fluery gave up i think 2 bad goals which did cost us the game, but the PP looked hot and Adams scoring means business! 5 to 4 they made it a game had good chances.

Elliot is a sub par goalie and I know the Pens can rock him for 4-5 goals a game our D just needs to stand up and Fluery needs to make a save or so! Only positive about Ottawa was their defense is so tough they just push Malkin and Sid mostly around like rag dolls.

I still call Pens win big Friday and do still take the series in 6.

SteelCityMom
04-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Well, atleast Adams got a goal. :chuckle:

I'm not worried about this series either. All tonight showed me was that the series will atleast go to five games, probably six.

As for the West - anyone care what happens there?

I care about the west...I'm rooting for the Coyotes and Sharks over there. Fiance is a huge Sharks fan (after being a huge Pens fan b/c I make him).

Shea
04-14-2010, 11:15 PM
I care about the west...I'm rooting for the Coyotes and Sharks over there. Fiance is a huge Sharks fan (after being a huge Pens fan b/c I make him).

Atta girl! :chuckle: :thumbsup:

Will be interesting to see how far the Sharks go. Playoffs just don't seem to mix with them unlike the regular season.

As for Phoenix - what the hell is going on there?? :noidea:

An organization couldn't be more screwed up than they are, yet here they are in the playoffs. Go figure.

SteelCityMom
04-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Atta girl! :chuckle: :thumbsup:

Will be interesting to see how far the Sharks go. Playoffs just don't seem to mix with them unlike the regular season.

As for Phoenix - what the hell is going on there?? :noidea:

An organization couldn't be more screwed up than they are, yet here they are in the playoffs. Go figure.

Hey, they are winning tonight too...3-2 over the Wings. Bryzgalov is the biggest reason they are doing so well, with 42/50 wins for the season and 8 shutouts (second in the league).

As of right now, Coyotes have had 28 shots on Howard (with 3 getting by) and Wings have had 38 shots on Bryzgalov (with 2 getting by).

After all the Pens went through to keep the team in town, I can relate to the Coyotes...I'm glad they're having a great season. (Knocking out the Wings wouldn't bother me too much either)

supa_fly_steeler
04-15-2010, 03:51 AM
Wow that was a poor performence everyone apart from Malkin played underpar.

We may just be looking at a Senators upset.

Goddamit then i have to watch that russian scumbag and the Crapitals take the cup home.

Penguins get it together so i dont have to watch the sun burn my eyes out

steelpride12
04-15-2010, 07:56 AM
That's Supa being himself once again. Just trying to get under our skin, but just give him the good old ignore and go on your way. Anyone who says it's going to be an Ottawa upset after one game which we lost by 1 goal has no idea what they are saying.

supa_fly_steeler
04-15-2010, 08:10 AM
What how can you say that the Sens wont win.

Your all full of garbage expecting to win. You got lucky losing by just 1 goal. The Sens owned your rink. lmao

Fleury will lose you this series, he wwas out of place in all the goals.

I will be watching the Kings tonight, showing how you actually try in the playoffs, and again the Crapitals as they will hopefully lose.

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 08:14 AM

Your all full of garbage expecting to win. You got lucky losing by just 1 goal. The Sens owned your rink. lmao

I will be watching the Kings tonight, showing how you actually try in the playoffs, and again the Crapitals as they will hopefully lose.

LOLZ....and what happens if the Kings lose tonight? Will that mean that the whole series is over?

I mean, it's gotta be impossible for a team to come back from any kind of a series deficit and end up winning the series. That would be, like, ridiculous and stuff. I have no clue when the last time that happened was. :noidea:

SteelMember
04-15-2010, 09:40 AM
:countdown Ruutu! Makes it 5-3.

Fleury's having a bad game...I expect perfection from him the next few games, as is his usual after such a poor performance.

Yes. Tonight he was horrible, but as you said, he can turn it around.

— G MARC-ANDRE FLEURY in the last two postseasons after a loss: 8-3, 2.10 GAA, .931 SV%. He’s not known as a big game goalie for nothing.

History suggests Fleury will bounce back big Friday (http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/2010/04/14/history-suggests-fleury-will-bounce-back-big-friday/)

Well im going to say good game Pens seriously. I mean yes Fluery gave up i think 2 bad goals which did cost us the game, but the PP looked hot and Adams scoring means business! 5 to 4 they made it a game had good chances.

Elliot is a sub par goalie and I know the Pens can rock him for 4-5 goals a game our D just needs to stand up and Fluery needs to make a save or so! Only positive about Ottawa was their defense is so tough they just push Malkin and Sid mostly around like rag dolls.

I still call Pens win big Friday and do still take the series in 6.

Way to keep it positive. :thumbsup: They will make adjustments.

It's the best of 7, not the best of 1.

LETS GO PENS!

steelpride12
04-15-2010, 10:01 AM

Oh you mean the Kings bandwagon team you jumped on? Good point your one "loyal" fan who know's hockey and your totally right the Kings will win big tonight and play real hockey. How stupid that all sounds seriously.

supa_fly_steeler
04-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Oh you mean the Kings bandwagon team you jumped on? Good point your one "loyal" fan who know's hockey and your totally right the Kings will win big tonight and play real hockey. How stupid that all sounds seriously.

the kings i actually supported straight after there 30 win season and when the penguins won the cup. so i dont know how im a bandwagon fan so shut up and go drink some poison.

i cant wait until the pens get swept. it will shut your mouth up with the shit you talk about. pens this, pens that

penguin fans = most ignorant. infact now i want ovechkin to win the stanley cup.

If you want i can become an edmonton oiler fan next year? i will still hate the penguins because of people like you.

i hope the sens win 4-0. It will put the biggest smile on my face

what makes you think you knew hockey, you said u would beat the sens, right now they OWN you and your ignorant mouth that needs to shut close with a beautiful sweep that is on the horizion.

supa_fly_steeler
04-15-2010, 01:31 PM
LOLZ....and what happens if the Kings lose tonight? Will that mean that the whole series is over?

I mean, it's gotta be impossible for a team to come back from any kind of a series deficit and end up winning the series. That would be, like, ridiculous and stuff. I have no clue when the last time that happened was. :noidea:

No i will be proud of the Kings, and yes i do think the Canucks will win, there a very strong side, i just want to see simmonds do really well in the game and at least win a fight to spur us on for future games

Im saying the Penguins have been so inconsistent all year and it has carried into the playoffs, fleury was disgraceful last night. he was out of position in alot of the goals.

You guys looked excellent for the first 5 minutes then went back to how u played people like new jersey and washington.

Oh just to the ignorant post above.

Im also such a bandwagoner that im going to watch the kings at 5:30am and then go to work pretty much straight afterwards for 12 hours.

Yes it really does smell of bandwagon.

At least im not a legit idiot like you.

steelpride12
04-15-2010, 01:42 PM
the kings i actually supported straight after there 30 win season and when the penguins won the cup. so i dont know how im a bandwagon fan so shut up and go drink some poison.

i cant wait until the pens get swept. it will shut your mouth up with the shit you talk about. pens this, pens that

penguin fans = most ignorant. infact now i want ovechkin to win the stanley cup.

If you want i can become an edmonton oiler fan next year? i will still hate the penguins because of people like you.

what makes you think you knew hockey, you said u would beat the sens, right now they OWN you and your ignorant mouth that needs to shut close with a beautiful sweep that is on the horizion.

WOW! Exactly you jumped on their bandwagon because they started winning? That equals a bandwagon fan be proud of that. I don't care if you hate the Pens it's just funny that you run around here running your big mouth trying to insult us Pens fans. WE DON"T CARE! You mean nothing to any of us and if the Pens lose oh well I won't cry for your sorry ass.

I get humor from you because it's Simmonds this Simmonds that Go Kings, Go Ovechkin with that cup you absolutely have idea about hockey and doing this just to get under our skin and sorry, but it won't be happening anytime soon so keep trying everyone we love laughing at your ignorance!

You cheer for who you want and tell me the Pens will lose. Im rooting for them till the day I die, while I watch you bounce around the bandwagons like one uneducated so called "hockey fan" would!:wave:

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 01:43 PM

Wait...what? Which 30 game winning season? (Sorry couldn't help it...there's been so many of them). Since you included the Pens winning the Stanley cup in your statement, I'm assuming you mean last year. Does this mean you JUST started watching hockey last year???

I have to be honest and tell you this, you calling Pens fans ignorant is just hilarious. You've been nothing but ignorant in almost every post you've made on this forum, whether it regards hockey or football. If I were you, I wouldn't be to quick to judge anyone else's level of ignorance. Just a little word to the wise if you will.

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 01:46 PM
No i will be proud of the Kings, and yes i do think the Canucks will win, there a very strong side, i just want to see simmonds do really well in the game and at least win a fight to spur us on for future games

Im saying the Penguins have been so inconsistent all year and it has carried into the playoffs, fleury was disgraceful last night. he was out of position in alot of the goals.

You guys looked excellent for the first 5 minutes then went back to how u played people like new jersey and washington.

Oh just to the ignorant post above.

Im also such a bandwagoner that im going to watch the kings at 5:30am and then go to work pretty much straight afterwards for 12 hours.

Yes it really does smell of bandwagon.

I wouldn't blame you for being proud of the Kings...that's a big deal for them to make the playoffs. Keep the faith though...the Canucks are horrible when it comes to the playoffs. The Kings may actually have a shot in the first round.

But come one, be serious. Unless you've never watched a full series of playoff hockey you'd have to know that losing a game doesn't equal losing a series. We get it, you hate the Pens, but it's retarded to say that the series is over already.

Case in point...the Pens were down 2 games against both the Caps and the Wings last year and came back to win both series on their way to win the cup.

You are just making yourself sound incredibly silly with statements like these.

supa_fly_steeler
04-15-2010, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't blame you for being proud of the Kings...that's a big deal for them to make the playoffs. Keep the faith though...the Canucks are horrible when it comes to the playoffs. The Kings may actually have a shot in the first round.

But come one, be serious. Unless you've never watched a full series of playoff hockey you'd have to know that losing a game doesn't equal losing a series. We get it, you hate the Pens, but it's retarded to say that the series is over already.

Case in point...the Pens were down 2 games against both the Caps and the Wings last year and came back to win both series on their way to win the cup.

You are just making yourself sound incredibly silly with statements like these.

THANKS for seeing i have faith int he kings. i dont hate the pens, i just startign to hate them because steel pride says im a bandwagoner for supporting them after a 30 win season lol.

i started watching the penguins at the start of 2008, so two seasons almost now, i like the kings for what they are, honestly i dont give a shit if they have the number 1 overall pick each year, i will continue watching them for what they do, giving me a happy time watchign them.

You cheer for who you want and tell me the Pens will lose. Im rooting for them till the day I die, while I watch you bounce around the bandwagons like one uneducated so called "hockey fan" would!

your death will probably come soon since you will probably turn on the penguins, your the type of fan that would.

i mean nobody would care anyway.

and yes

GO Kings. I wiill always say that. Hell GO OILERS. at least the fans have faith in them and dont BOO THEM after just missing a shot on goal.

disgraceful. more reason to hate the penguins, i would never boo them, if i was a player i would rather be cheered.

but wait, didn't crosby get booed when he came back from the olympics, same as toews...

but that is just weak.

SteelMember
04-15-2010, 02:14 PM
shut up and go drink some poison.
penguin fans = most ignorant
i want ovechkin to win the stanley cup.
your ignorant mouth that needs to shut close

I know someone who's no going to be very happy when she gets here.

:smashy:

snuka, you realize this IS the Penguins Forum, no?

:shake01:

steelpride12
04-15-2010, 02:16 PM
THANKS for seeing i have faith int he kings. i dont hate the pens, i just startign to hate them because steel pride says im a bandwagoner for supporting them after a 30 win season lol.

i started watching the penguins at the start of 2008, so two seasons almost now, i like the kings for what they are, honestly i dont give a shit if they have the number 1 overall pick each year, i will continue watching them for what they do, giving me a happy time watchign them.

your death will probably come soon since you will probably turn on the penguins, your the type of fan that would.

i mean nobody would care anyway.

and yes

GO Kings. I wiill always say that. Hell GO OILERS. at least the fans have faith in them and dont BOO THEM after just missing a shot on goal.

disgraceful. more reason to hate the penguins, i would never boo them, if i was a player i would rather be cheered.

but wait, didn't crosby get booed when he came back from the olympics, same as toews...

but that is just weak.

My death will come soon? Im sorry I forgot you are the all mighty.

It's funny how you accuse Pens fans of all of this nonsense when your no fan at all. You know nothing about hockey and your no King's fan or any. Just another pathetic flick in this world who has nothing better to do with your day then get on a Pens thread and bash the fans because you can.

Oh that's right ive been a loyal fan since I was 6 years old, and oh wait I never booed my team and no one on this site has either so why don't you run right along I think mommy is making lunch. :wave:

fansince'76
04-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Sorry this went on for as long as it did, folks. Appears some people just don't get the message.

steelpride12
04-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Sorry this went on for as long as it did, folks. Appears some people just don't get the message.

Thank you very much for removing this idiot who didn't learn his lesson the first time. We can all go back to celebrating our Pens in peace! :drink:

Sorry everyone I had to man up and say something he was becoming very annoying to all and after threaten my life and using that language he did it went to far.

Thank you FanSince'76!

steelpride12
04-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Let's go Pen's... Question: Myself and the misses are coming to Pburgh on May 8th thru 9th and if the Pen's are playing a home playoff game either day is it awesome or what to grab a lawn chair and sit outside the Igloo and watch the game on the big screen? wanted to know?

You have no idea how great it is yes. These fans below are always the way back to the street. I barely think you can see the screen that far back, but that is a good show of the thousands I mean thousands that go to this. Yes I have been there for the past few seasons and loved every single game. It's like being at a home game with the crowd chanting and screaming! Come early though!:thumbsup:

http://cache.boston.com/multimedia/sports/bigshots/nhl/bs10.jpg

pittsburghp8baller
04-15-2010, 03:43 PM
those were some fun pages wasnt it? Last time i checked 30 wins was good for a high lottery pick wasnt it?

though this year i said the kings could be a sleeper coming out of the west, or at least to come out the first round with a win.

was a tough loss for the Pens last night, Fleury wasnt solid in net but im positive he is gonna bounce back.

good to see Adams finally get one, and steigy was finally right, he always said Adams was waiting to score during a key situation and he did

steelpride12
04-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Im really looking for a strong win from the Pens tomorrow! I know Fluery and when he has an off game he rarely does it twice in a row. Fluery will come out strong and the Pens will fire the puck a lot more and Elliot is the key for the Pens W in this series. He is just sub par and always get's caught in his own net. If Fluery can out play him the Pens will win. I promise that.

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Sid will stay the course with offensive gameplan
Thursday, 04.15.2010 / 2:42 PM / Penguins vs Senators - 2010 Stanley Cup Conference Quarterfinals By Adam Kimelman - NHL.com Staff Writer
PITTSBURGH -- Sidney Crosby went into the 2009-10 season with more of a shooter's mentality than he had previously in his career. The results were career-highs in goals (51) and shots (298).

But in Game 1 of the Penguins' Eastern Conference Quarterfinal series against the Ottawa Senators, Crosby had just two shots, both of which came in the final 6:17 of Wednesday's game, a 5-4 loss. Game 2 is Friday (7 p.m. ET, Versus, CBC, RDS).

It's not the first time the Senators have frustrated Crosby -- he had just 3 assists in four games against them in the regular season -- but with the intensity of the games ratcheted up, it was a decisive victory for Ottawa's defensive tandem of Anton Volchenkov and Chris Phillips.

"I think they just play good team defense, that's pretty much the key to any strong defense against anybody," Crosby said following Thursday's practice at Mellon Arena. "Playoff hockey is going to be tight whether you're playing Ottawa or anyone else. It's going to be tight, not a lot of chances. I don't see anything different."

Instead of being a goal-scorer, Crosby found better success as a playmaker, and he picked up assists on three of the Penguins' four goals in Wednesday's loss.

"If you watch the game, where would you thought I could have shot more?" Crosby asked. "That's the way it works. You got two guys on defense who are going to take away time and space and they don't want me to have the puck. That's something I have to deal with. But if they're doing that, then other guys are going to be open, and in most cases that's going to be the best option."

But the Penguins didn't get to this point this season by Crosby being solely a playmaker -- they were 22-8-3 when he scored a goal.

"By no means am I going to pass up any shots if they give me that space," Crosby said. "Hopefully, I'm going to make them pay for giving me that time and space. That's just hockey. You can't shoot the puck if you're getting two guys in your face. And if they're not there, make sure I go on net."

Crosby said turning into an Alex Ovechkin-like gunner isn't an option.

"I'm not going to change anything," he said. "To say I'm going to start shooting needlessly just to shoot, that's not smart. You have to trust your instincts. One game doesn't mean you have to re-invent the wheel."

The Penguins only had 21 shots in Game 1, and a lot of that was due to poor play through the neutral zone, and not finding the net when they did have time and space to get shots off, as they missed 14 other shots. Crosby, however, is the offensive key for the Penguins, and said improved play in the offensive end will lead to more chances not just for him, but for everyone.

"It's pretty hard to shoot if you don't get the puck in the offensive zone," Crosby said. "We've got to do a better job of that."

Not having played the Senators since Jan. 28, there was a lack of familiarity with just how the Senators were going to play against him. Now that he's got one game under his belt, Crosby said there are changes he can make to his game to hopefully find more open ice.

"There're always adjustments that go on," he said. "Are they going to play perfect? No. I'm going to get my chances. When I do, I have to make the most of them. Last night we didn't get in the offensive zone enough, and in turn that takes away those opportunities to get the open ice. It's a matter of working together to create that space. They're going to give me time and space at some point, and hopefully I'm going to make the most of it."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=525629

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Fleury feeling fine

One day after giving up five goals on 26 shots in the Game 1 loss to the Senators, Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury was putting the tough night behind him.

"I feel better this morning than I did last night, that's for sure," he said following practice Thursday.

Teammates haven't lost any confidence in the goalie who led them to last spring's Stanley Cup. And the numbers prove they have no reason to fear a repeat performance.

Last spring, Fleury surrendered five goals in a playoff game three times, and three times came back with stellar efforts, allowing just four total goals in the three bounce-back games, two of which were on the road. In games after losses last spring, Fleury was 6-2 with a 2.22 goals-against average.

"He has not just a playoff history of bouncing back," coach Dan Bylsma said. "He's a guy who after bad games, after situations where he's been pulled or had a bad game, he comes back with a good performance. Marc's our guy, we're confident in the guy we have back there. He's a guy who's made big saves for us.

That's who he is for us. He's also a guy who does bounce back and is ready for the next time he gets in the net. That's something we're going to need from him in Game 2." (Friday, 7 p.m. ET, Versus, CBC, RDS)

Crosby said Fleury's play was the least of his team's worries.

"He's got high expectations of himself," Crosby said. "I'm sure he'll bounce back."

-- Adam Kimelman

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=525629

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Crosby Morning Skate Post
Sidney Crosby talks to the media after the morning skate
4/15/2010 2:49 Mins

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=15&id=66258

P.S. I'm always amazed at how well he deals with the media...I couldn't imagine having to talk to the media day in and day out with dozens of microphones shoved in my face. I really respect that side of him. Lord knows I'd slap the taste out of someones mouth for hovering around me that much.

steelpride12
04-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Another offensive blow for the Sens!

Senators winger Michalek done for playoffs with torn ACL
Buzz up!
By Kevin Gorman, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, April 15, 2010
Last updated: 5:10 pm
Find us on Facebook

TribLIVE.com on Facebook

Become a fan of TribLIVE to get news & sports updates to your wall.
About the writer

Kevin Gorman is a Pittsburgh Tribune-Review staff writer and can be reached at 412-320-7812 or via e-mail.
Ways to get us

The Ottawa Senators endured another offensive blow when left wing Milan Michalek was lost for the remainder of the Stanley Cup playoffs with a torn ACL in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference quarterfinal series.

Michalek was third on the Senators with 22 goals, and joins 18-goal scorer Alex Kovalev as their second top-six forward to be lost to a knee injury.

Michalek tore the ACL completely Wednesday night in 5-4 victory over the Penguins in Game 1 of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal series. Senators general manager Bryan Murray said the injury will require surgery.

"That's the tough news of the day, from our point of view," Murray said. "You go into the playoffs and you have some key people hurt, it makes it more difficult."

Murray said "in all likelihood, (Michalek) needed surgery" anyway, as he already had missed nine games with a partially torn ACL and was wearing a brace for protection. He injured the knee during a collision behind the back wall in the second period.

Murray indicated that Ryan Shannon, who has five goals and 16 points in 66 games, could replace Michalek. Senators coach Cory Clouston, however, declined to discuss his lineup.

Fire Haley
04-15-2010, 07:46 PM
So Fleury had the sniffles? Is that his excuse?

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 08:00 PM
So Fleury had the sniffles? Is that his excuse?

Where are you even getting that impression from?

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Another offensive blow for the Sens!

Though it's a tough blow to the Sens and is an advantage to the Pens, I'm not happy about any players being out under those circumstances....unless of course their name starts with O and ends with Chicken.

steelpride12
04-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Though it's a tough blow to the Sens and is an advantage to the Pens, I'm not happy about any players being out under those circumstances....unless of course their name starts with O and ends with Chicken.

I know for sure tough. I like seeing the Pens win against a top of the line team, not like two seasons when we swept the Sens because they were crippled from injury!

steelpride12
04-15-2010, 09:11 PM
What a good night! The Caps LOSE to the Habs in game one and Ovie get's nothing!

X-Terminator
04-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Why the hell was Michalek playing with a partially torn ACL anyway? What doctor would even clear him to play, knowing the risk of a full tear? If I'm a Sens fan, I'm pretty freaking pissed right now.

Shea
04-15-2010, 09:21 PM
What a good night! The Caps LOSE to the Habs in game one and Ovie get's nothing!

Wouldn't it be something if the Habs somehow manage to win this series?

Caps going out in the first round - that would be some good stuff. :chuckle:

Fire Haley
04-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Habs beat the Caps in OT.........ha ha

Ovie = 0 shots on goal for the whole game

Shea
04-15-2010, 09:25 PM
Where are you even getting that impression from?

I'm not sure either, but perhaps he or Johnson is sick??

Penguins Recall Goaltender Brad ThiessenThursday

The Pittsburgh Penguins have recalled goaltender Brad Thiessen from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League, it was announced by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

Thiessen, 24, completed his first season with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, playing in 30 games with a 14-14-1 record. The 6-foot, 180-pound netminder led the team in goals-against average (2.45), save percentage (.914) and shutouts (4).

Thiessen signed with the Penguins on April 8, 2009, and joined the team during their Stanley Cup championship run, providing practice support as a member of the taxi squad “Black Aces.”

Prior to joining the Penguins, Thiessen started three seasons at Northeastern University. He played in 111 games, posting a 52-46-12 record. The Aldergrove, British Columbia native posted an impressive 25-12-4 mark last season with Northeastern, with a 2.12 goals-against average and .931 save percentage.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=525635&navid=DL|PIT|home

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 09:39 PM
Why the hell was Michalek playing with a partially torn ACL anyway? What doctor would even clear him to play, knowing the risk of a full tear? If I'm a Sens fan, I'm pretty freaking pissed right now.

I had no idea you were a Sens fan. And yeah, that's pretty stupid for a doc to clear a guy with a partially torn ACL. My only guess is he insisted on playing regardless b/c it was the playoffs. Nothing gained nothing lost ya know.

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm not sure either, but perhaps he or Johnson is sick??

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=525635&navid=DL|PIT|home

My guess is it's something up with Johnson. I think Killer said that b/c of the headline for the story I posted. I haven't heard anything about either goalie being injured or sick.

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Habs beat the Caps in OT.........ha ha

Ovie = 0 shots on goal for the whole game

Ovi = http://carolinakioty.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/29366343-easternboxturtle2.jpg

steelpride12
04-15-2010, 09:52 PM
I had no idea you were a Sens fan. And yeah, that's pretty stupid for a doc to clear a guy with a partially torn ACL. My only guess is he insisted on playing regardless b/c it was the playoffs. Nothing gained nothing lost ya know.

He said IF he was a Sens fan he is a die hard Pens fan. Very stupid decision by Mikahlik and the doc that cleared him and now the Sens get another big offensive blow! Im not complaining.

Ill be at the big screen tomorrow I just hope the weather doesn't get nasty!:popcorn:

X-Terminator
04-15-2010, 09:53 PM

Whoa...I said IF I was a Sens fan. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Pens fan. Why else would I have season tickets? I hate the Sens and especially Jason Spezza.

HometownGal
04-15-2010, 09:53 PM
I was listening to Y-108 this morning and was absolutely appalled by some of the comments I heard from purported "fans" with regard to MAF. Cut him, trade him, bench him . . . :jawdrop: Thank God there were some fans who called in and sent texts (which the DJ revealed) in support of The Flower. I was there at that game last night and 2 of the Sens goals were unlucky breaks. One of 'em was a bad hop and on the other, the D sold Fleury out. I must admit, though, that only 4 SOG in the first and no shots in a time period of 16+ minutes was pretty abysmal, but they brought it in the 3rd - unfortunately too little too late.

I think Elliott is ripe for the pickin' but the Pens have got to take more SOG.

I think the Pens win in 6. :hope: :thumbsup:

:applaudit: and :hatsoff: to the fans - they were pretty much roarin' throughout the game. :banana:

XT - you would have cracked up listening to a guy who was sitting in the last row in our old D-7 section. He was firing comments out there all night but the funniest one of all was when he yelled down to the refs to "take the whistles out of their asses and blow them". :laughing:

LETS GO PENS!

steelpride12
04-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Ya HTG I agree some of the comments about Fluery im hearing around is just unbelievable about a guy who took the Pens to the SCF's two years straight and won the cup the second time around. Sure he had an off game, but I don't consider the 8th most wins in the league a disappointment and he will come back strong Friday bank it!

Agreed Pens win in 6 and a W at home tomorrow before heading to Ottawa!
GO PENS!

X-Terminator
04-15-2010, 10:03 PM
I was listening to Y-108 this morning and was absolutely appalled by some of the comments I heard from purported "fans" with regard to MAF. Cut him, trade him, bench him . . . :jawdrop: Thank God there were some fans who called in and sent texts (which the DJ revealed) in support of The Flower. I was there at that game last night and 2 of the Sens goals were unlucky breaks. One of 'em was a bad hop and on the other, the D sold Fleury out. I must admit, though, that only 4 SOG in the first and no shots in a time period of 16+ minutes was pretty abysmal, but they brought it in the 3rd - unfortunately too little too late.

:applaudit: and :hatsoff: to the fans - they were pretty much roarin' throughout the game. :banana:

XT - you would have cracked up listening to a guy who was sitting in the last row in our old D-7 section. He was firing comments out there all night but the funniest one of all was when he yelled down to the refs to "take the whistles out of their asses and blow them". :laughing:

LETS GO PENS!

I'm not surprised. The Pens have the biggest bandwagon in the league - only the Caps come anywhere close. This is a Stanley Cup-winning goaltender, for crying out loud. If the Pens don't win the Cup, they're going to be calling for people's heads. Hell, the media has already sewn the seeds for it, as they always do. Just read Rob Rossi's article from the Trib about the team's expectations, and you'll see what I mean. Just wait until the Pens have a down season or 2 - it'll be like 2005-06 all over again, the team playing in a half-empty arena.

Too bad I missed the game and that crack from that fan, though - I'd have howled! :toofunny:

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Whoa...I said IF I was a Sens fan. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Pens fan. Why else would I have season tickets? I hate the Sens and especially Jason Spezza.

LOL....my bad, read that completely wrong. I do agree with you for the most part on your other points though. Like I said, only thing I can figure is he felt he might as well try to play.

steelpride12
04-15-2010, 10:09 PM
LOL....my bad, read that completely wrong. I do agree with you for the most part on your other points though. Like I said, only thing I can figure is he felt he might as well try to play.

He won't be doing that again if that was his reasoning. Went from trying to play to out the entire postseason.

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 10:11 PM

LETS GO PENS!

Yeah, before I left the Pens forum I was on last year, everyone there was hopping on the trade Fleury bandwagon. Funny that they changed their tune after the SCF's.

I love the Pens, and I love this city. I do hate that it's not a big hockey market though. We've been so blessed with such a wealth of talent over the years and I hate that being a part of Penguins forums has been more of an embarrassment than a privilege.

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 10:13 PM
He won't be doing that again if that was his reasoning. Went from trying to play to out the entire postseason.

Well, i get his reasoning though...it was either try to play or not play at all. Like I said, nothing gained nothing lost. I respect him for giving it a shot though. If he was that badly injured, it was bound to catch up with him sooner or later.

steelpride12
04-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Yeah, before I left the Pens forum I was on last year, everyone there was hopping on the trade Fleury bandwagon. Funny that they changed their tune after the SCF's.

I love the Pens, and I love this city. I do hate that it's not a big hockey market though. We've been so blessed with such a wealth of talent over the years and I hate that being a part of Penguins forums has been more of an embarrassment than a privilege.

Well im sure you as myself just take pride in knowing we are true fans that have been there since the "dark ages" and have always backed out team. I kinda just ignore the bandwagons because they are embarrassing, but I know like us there are plenty of loyal long time fans out there!

Shea
04-15-2010, 10:14 PM
My guess is it's something up with Johnson. I think Killer said that b/c of the headline for the story I posted. I haven't heard anything about either goalie being injured or sick.

This is the only thing I can find:

11:37 AM:
Penguins video coordinator Jim Britt is in net for the Penguins at their Thursday practice. Goaltender Brent Johnson is not on the ice and we expect to get an update from Bylsma on his status after the skate.

Looks like something is up with Johnson. Hope it's not serious, I really like him as our back-up.

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 10:16 PM
This is the only thing I can find:

Looks like something is up with Johnson. Hope it's not serious, I really like him as our back-up.

Yeah, if Britt is filling in, there's definitely something wrong with Johnson.

I've seen Britt do some goal tending on IPH, but he would never do a real practice session if someone wasn't seriously hurt or sick. He's not that bad either...but I sure hope Johnson is ok.

SteelCityMom
04-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Well im sure you as myself just take pride in knowing we are true fans that have been there since the "dark ages" and have always backed out team. I kinda just ignore the bandwagons because they are embarrassing, but I know like us there are plenty of loyal long time fans out there!

Oh I'm with you...it's just the mood on the main Pens forum (from the NHL.com site) is just extremely volatile. It's like if you're not the most sarcastic, self-loathing MF'er....you're not welcome. Just a bit much for me.

steelpride12
04-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Oh I'm with you...it's just the mood on the main Pens forum (from the NHL.com site) is just extremely volatile. It's like if you're not the most sarcastic, self-loathing MF'er....you're not welcome. Just a bit much for me.

That's that young teen fan base of bandwagons believe me being 19 I see all these kids randomally buy Sid jerseys and start running their mouth and all hard ass about hockey like they know anything that's why I stick to these boards, were all die hard fans and when an idiot(Supa) comes around he doesn't stand a chance! :hug:

SteelCityMom
04-16-2010, 12:13 AM
Dammit...where's Supa at.

Kings lost tonight...Series is definitely over for them. They suck. :chuckle:

steelpride12
04-16-2010, 06:29 AM
Dammit...where's Supa at.

Kings lost tonight...Series is definitely over for them. They suck. :chuckle:

HEHE! Well like he said Pens are getting swept and Kings are going all the way. He would know he was a fan of them for about 4 months :doh:.

Also he is banned for life.

WH
04-16-2010, 08:18 AM
Watch Captain Unga Bunga miss the big hit (instead of playing defensive hockey), and cost his team the lead, and ultimately the game.

http://video.nhl.com/videocentRiagatan 1 er/console?hlg=20092010,3,111&event=WSH581

SteelMember
04-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Penguins' Fedotenko could get playoff hook (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_676748.html)
By Rob Rossi, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, April 16, 2010

One of Dan Bylsma's nicknames is "Disco," but perhaps "Captain Hook" best suits the Penguins coach.

The defending Stanley Cup champions are down 1-0 in their best-of-seven series against the Ottawa Senators. They face a crucial Game 2 on Friday night at Mellon Arena, and Bylsma appears ready to yank a healthy regular wing from the lineup for the second consecutive postseason.

If Ruslan Fedotenko is the new Petr Sykora, then Bylsma will have made an early move that should sound an alarm for any Penguins player whom the coach deems isn't prepared to play in the playoff pressure cooker.

Any forward not named Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin or Jordan Staal is subject to sitting.

"You have to know your message, be real clear, get it to the right people the right way — and you have to be able to re-enforce it as well," Bylsma said Thursday after practice at the Igloo.

Scratching Fedotenko, who scored seven of his 20 career playoff goals last spring for the Penguins, would re-enforce that the Penguins need to perform with more efficiency, patience and determination in the offensive zone.

Fedotenko was not a regular on line rushes during practice Thursday. Pascal Dupuis and Alexei Ponikarovsky worked the wings on Malkin's line, and Fedotenko worked off-rushes with wing Eric Godard, who did not dress for any playoff games last spring.

Game-time decisions are a way of life in the playoffs for NHL coaches, but Bylsma did not dismiss the likelihood of forward Mike Rupp replacing Fedotenko for Game 2. In fact, he suggested Rupp's often nasty style could work as a nice deterrent against a Senators club that Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik said made Game 1 "not very fun" because of their willing physicality.

"As defensemen, when you (go) back for pucks and you're constantly getting hit ... that wears you down in a hurry in a seven-game series," Orpik said.

Rupp was a healthy scratch in the Penguins' 5-4 loss. He said he would cherish a chance to provide pause to Ottawa's hard-charging third- and fourth-line forwards, who are set on pounding the Penguins' puck-moving defense corps into submission.

"I've made it pretty evident what I do every night — chip pucks in, try to establish the forecheck. There's nothing cute coming from my end," Rupp said. "If I get the opportunity, I'm just going to try and help the team establish some offensive-zone time and move some bodies around."

Added Bylsma: "There's a physical aspect, and when you talk about what Mike has brought to our team and can bring to our team ... he's created offense, zone time, big hits, being that guy with speed through the neutral zone and being a guy who's a crashing, big body."

Bylsma's brief history as coach includes a gut-check benching of Sykora during the second round of last year's playoffs. Sykora had been center Evgeni Malkin's regular right wing for two seasons. But with the Penguins down, 2-0, to Washington in the second round and Malkin needing a spark, Bylsma scratched Sykora, who did not return until Game 6 of the Cup Final.

Sykora and Bylsma were teammates with Anaheim, so there is little reason to believe Bylsma would develop cold feet about sitting Fedotenko, who struggled in the regular season. He had only 11 goals but owns a reputation as a playoff performer.

Fedotenko played less than 11 minutes in Game 1. He did not register a shot, though he was credited with five hits.

Ponikarovsky was no more impressive with only two hits and just a shot. That was his first playoff game since 2004, though he offered no excuses for a disappointing postseason debut with the Penguins.

"You should be able to get into it quicker than I did — especially physically," he said. "It's hard to say that I've never been in this situation because I haven't been in the playoffs in (six) years. ... I don't think it takes any time to prepare yourself emotionally and mentally to play in the playoffs."

If he isn't prepared for Game 2, perhaps Ponikarovsky will be Captain Hook's next victim.

Tank really showed up for the playoffs last year, but he truly runs hot and cold taking some time to warm up and get it going. I think the feeling may be that we don't have time to wait.

One thing is for sure. He seems to take more than his fair share of hits and abuse from the opposition (no matter who it is) before he gets agitated enough to fight back. Rupp would indeed be in upgrade in that respect.

Fire Haley
04-16-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm almost wishing we would have kept Satan.

Indo
04-16-2010, 04:11 PM
Can't wait for this game---

Two thoughts:

A) Flower had an off-night. Better to do it at the beginning of a series, than near the end when it really matters

2) Watching the Caveman suck-ass was a thing of Beauty.

X-Terminator
04-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Tank is indeed scratched tonight, and Rupp will play.

Nadroj 20
04-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Im ready to watch this game tonight as well. Not been able to watch em a whole lot so im glad its playoff time to get a chance to see them more!

WH
04-16-2010, 06:11 PM
nice Fleury, nice.

tony hipchest
04-16-2010, 06:13 PM
WTF???

are you freaking kidding me? (penguins, not you WH)

:dang:

WH
04-16-2010, 06:15 PM
WTF???

are you freaking kidding me? (penguins, not you WH)

:dang:

Oh, I know. That better be the only freakin' goal he allows in the first.

BAD Discipline from the guy who was calling out his team a month ago. Spezza lured him into that like a moth to the flame.

McCreary is reffing the game. Pens are effed.

minutes later:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH CROSBY

HometownGal
04-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Dirtbag Sutton just elbowed Leopold in the head - he's down on the ice right now. :mad: :mad:

WH
04-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Dirtbag Sutton just elbowed Leopold in the head - he's down on the ice right now. :mad: :mad:

Oh yeah, big effin' hit to the head. GTFOutta here.

minutes later:

Talbot is the man. More balls than half the Senators bench.

SteelCityMom
04-16-2010, 06:52 PM
F-ing Sutton again.

Rupp knocking Smith through the zamboni doors was hilarious...and Talbot standing up for the team made me smile.

This series might just get a lot uglier.

And yay for Sid getting the goal...they've been getting some good shots in on Elliot and I think they might just break him tonight. Sens just woke up the dragon.

X-Terminator
04-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Leopold, how long have you been playing in this league? You should know to keep your head up!

That said...Sutton still hit him right in the head. How he was not penalized is beyond me, but then again, McCreary is one of the referees. I swear to God he hates the Penguins and tries to screw them at every chance.

HometownGal
04-16-2010, 07:17 PM
McCreary is one of the referees. I swear to God he hates the Penguins and tries to screw them at every chance.

Enough said.

I, too, thought it was hilarious when Rupp smacked Smith through the zamboni doors. :laughing: :thumbsup: The only downside is that I wish it had been Spezza - I dislike him almost as much as Jagr.

HometownGal
04-16-2010, 07:21 PM
LMAO!!!!! Ruutu just got face-washed by Max. :laughing: I still love me some Jarkko but he really got a huge heapin' taste of his own medicine there. WTG Superstar! :applaudit:

HometownGal
04-16-2010, 07:23 PM
I just absolutely LOVE the way the Pens are hitting the living shit out of the Sens tonight! :applaudit: :thumbsup:

Elliott has been playing out his azz tonight this far but I think we're going to break him very soon. :hope:

LETS GO PENS!

HometownGal
04-16-2010, 07:24 PM
Geno lured that big oaf Sutton into a penalty. Pens on PP. :hope: :hope:

HometownGal
04-16-2010, 07:26 PM
WOW!!! Poni is flying out there tonight. :applaudit:

Didn't score on the PP. :banging:

WH
04-16-2010, 07:30 PM
I don't have a good feeling about this Sens PP.

X-Terminator
04-16-2010, 07:45 PM
LMAO!!!!! Ruutu just got face-washed by Max. :laughing: I still love me some Jarkko but he really got a huge heapin' taste of his own medicine there. WTG Superstar! :applaudit:

Speaking of face-washes, I'm still looking for that penalty on Matt Cooke. And of course who called it? McCreary. :banging:

HometownGal
04-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Flyers and Debs tied at 2-2 in the 2nd.

Pens are absolutely FLYIN this period! :banana: :applaudit:

Holy Mother of God - Serg just laid a hit on Neil. :jawdrop:

Pens coming up on another PP. :banana: Must get goal - no can lose. :chuckle:

HometownGal
04-16-2010, 08:12 PM
HOLY SHIT!!!!! That was dangerously close to going in and Sid saved our asses. :horror:

HometownGal
04-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Hey - where's steelpride12? I miss him in this thread - he's always here and brings so much positive energy! :applaudit:

X-Terminator
04-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Hey - where's steelpride12? I miss him in this thread - he's always here and brings so much positive energy! :applaudit:

He might be at the game tonight - I know he talked about trying to get tickets.

HometownGal
04-16-2010, 08:18 PM
He might be at the game tonight - I know he talked about trying to get tickets.

Oh OK. You're probably right.

What a nice play by Fleury! :applaudit:

C'mon boyz - let's win this thing in regulation. :hope:

WH
04-16-2010, 08:18 PM
HOLY SHIT!!!!! That was dangerously close to going in and Sid saved our asses. :horror:

could say that almost every game.

HometownGal
04-16-2010, 08:24 PM
WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!! Kris Letang puts it in the net to give the Pens the lead! :applaudit: :banana:

That's the way to earn that big contract! :thumbsup:

WH
04-16-2010, 08:31 PM
nice seeing all those bumbs at the game sitting with 30 seconds left to go. ::barf::

GO PENS

HometownGal
04-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Absolutely awesome game by our Pens! :hatsoff: What a physical slugfest between the two teams and the Pens didn't back down and shot the puck towards the net at every turn! WTG guys! :applaudit:

And . . .

87 is still > 8.

WH
04-16-2010, 08:33 PM
87 is still > 8.

As the years go on....that becomes more and more obvious to even Crosby haters.

X-Terminator
04-16-2010, 08:36 PM
Letang is still way overpaid, but hey...way to come through! :tt02:

And the series is all tied up! :tt02:

With the way the Pens dominated that game, it would have been a shame if they lost. Great job all around!

SteelCityMom
04-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Holy crap what a game! 52 hits by the Pens (9 by Orpik alone!).

Love the energy they brought to the game tonight, and even though Fleury didn't see that many shots, he still played very well. Glad he got good support from the D....and of course Crosby.

Hope Leopold is better soon, I'd hate to have McKee take his place up at Scotia Bank.

LETS GO PENS!!!

SteelCityMan786
04-16-2010, 08:59 PM
Good Work all the way around tonight. Way to rebound. Now use this momentum and take both games in Ottawa.

HometownGal
04-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Debs and Flyers tied up at 3 with under 6 to go in the third. It gags me with 20 spoons to be cheering on that filth from Delphia. :puke: :horror:

Indo
04-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Sid's skating behind the net to keep the puck from Spezza was just INSANE!

And to cap it off with the go-ahead goal was just Perfect...

SteelCityMom
04-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Debs and Flyers tied up at 3 with under 6 to go in the third. It gags me with 20 spoons to be cheering on that filth from Delphia. :puke: :horror:

:banging:

Just checked the score again, it's 5-3 Dweebils with 30 seconds to go.

Freaking Flyers.

OneForTheToe
04-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Wouldn't you know it .... I went to the Legion tonight to put out a little grub, and because I don't get VS, and the cable was out. I listened to as much of the game on the radio as I could, with the other ear connected to the phone trying to get through to Comcast. BTW, they will be there either tomorrow, or Sunday, between between 8:00 am and noon.:coffee:

zulater
04-16-2010, 09:22 PM

One of the greatest all around individual efforts I've ever seen! Tremendous game by Sid! :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
04-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Wouldn't you know it .... I went to the Legion tonight to put out a little grub, and because I don't get VS, and the cable was out. I listened to as much of the game on the radio as I could, with the other ear connected to the phone trying to get through to Comcast. BTW, they will be there either tomorrow, or Sunday, between between 8:00 am and noon.:coffee:

Major suckage, dude. I've had about 4 power flickers tonight, but thankfully they were all before and after the game.

Shea
04-16-2010, 11:31 PM
The guys responded, and played a much better game. :thumbsup:

Was so relieved to see Leopold actually get up and skate off. I thought for sure he was going to have to be taken off on a stretcher. One scary hit - actually turned my stomach the way his body flopped in the air and then thudded onto the ice, showing that the lights upstairs had been slammed off. Hopefully, he isn't seriously hurt.

Loved Sid's assist on the Tanger goal. If there were an award for best assist, he'd win it with that one.

Galax Steeler
04-17-2010, 04:23 AM
Great team effort for the Pens. Crosby is a beast couldn't ask for a better player.

WH
04-17-2010, 05:55 AM
You'd never see Ovechkin stick handle like that. If i'm wrong, please show me.

steelpride12
04-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Sorry guys me and the queen watched the game on the big screen in the pouring rain of course, but great crowd still loved it! WHAT A GAME!!!

52 hits from the Pens, they came out and punished the Sens on every play possible and other than that stupid first goal played great. The Sens barely could stay in the offensive zone and the defense and Fluery was much improved!

I actually think Sutton's hit was dirty, Im pretty sure he left his feet and went for the head, but again Leopold should know to keep your head up with puck possession in the neutral zone. I just hope he will be good to go Sunday.

Rupp knocking the Senator into the Zamboni doors was so funny and Talbot is a man possessed and I can see him getting a goal this series, im so happy he is stepping up as so is Adams IMO.

SId on that last goal was just unreal the way he skated and found Letang for the game winner with about 4 minutes left!!! :thumbsup:

Great game series tied 1 to 1 and the Caps losing pricess!

SteelCityMom
04-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Jordan Leopold has likely sustained a concussion and is doubtful for Game Three against Ottawa scheduled for Sunday.
This will likely be confirmed after the Penguin defenseman is re-evaluated Saturday. Leopold took a check to the head from the Sens' Andy Sutton Friday night and was woozy for quite a spell. The good news is that it looks as if long-term, Leopold has escaped serious injury.
Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36614892/ns/sports-player_news/

SteelMember
04-17-2010, 11:30 AM

That was indeed high-light reel material. He did at least 2 figure 8's, if not 3. Then he tops it off with a great pass from his knees. awesome!

Then Letang finally hits the net, and what do you know... winner, winner. chicken dinner! :thumbsup:

I don't know if Sutton's hit was "dirty", or not (no doubt it was to the head), but that's his MO. Sure, Leopold should have kept his head up, but he was already engaged with another player trying to strip the puck. Thats the part I didn't like. Big hits all game though.

I believe it was in the 3rd period, with about 7 minutes to go... Something turned on the switch for Fleury. He started to display the great saves he is capable of.
I hope he's found 'the zone", and stays there.

LET"S GO PENS! :tt02:

PhantomJB93
04-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Sorry guys me and the queen watched the game on the big screen in the pouring rain of course, but great crowd still loved it! WHAT A GAME!!!

52 hits from the Pens, they came out and punished the Sens on every play possible and other than that stupid first goal played great. The Sens barely could stay in the offensive zone and the defense and Fluery was much improved!

I actually think Sutton's hit was dirty, Im pretty sure he left his feet and went for the head, but again Leopold should know to keep your head up with puck possession in the neutral zone. I just hope he will be good to go Sunday.

Rupp knocking the Senator into the Zamboni doors was so funny and Talbot is a man possessed and I can see him getting a goal this series, im so happy he is stepping up as so is Adams IMO.

SId on that last goal was just unreal the way he skated and found Letang for the game winner with about 4 minutes left!!! :thumbsup:

Great game series tied 1 to 1 and the Caps losing pricess!

Haha I was there too, it was my first time ever going to watch it on the Trib Tron but even with the rain I am convinced it is the best way to watch a Pens game (besides actually being inside the Igloo, of course).

Go Pens!!! :tt04:

SteelersBry79
04-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Ok well the first game sucked. End of that.

Last night's game was much better. Some of us were stunned when Crosby danced with the puck and set up Letang like he did. Hopefully we can win both games in Ottawa and finish the series at home in game 5.

GO PENS!!!!!! :tt03:

steelpride12
04-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Haha I was there too, it was my first time ever going to watch it on the Trib Tron but even with the rain I am convinced it is the best way to watch a Pens game (besides actually being inside the Igloo, of course).

Go Pens!!! :tt04:

If I can't get tickets to a game im always at the big screen I love it, and agreed other than being in the Igloo it is the best way to celebrate the Pens with your fellow Pens fans! :popcorn:

steelpride12
04-17-2010, 06:14 PM
The Habs are really giving the Caps trouble and are already up 1 to 0 early in the first period I love this. Im sure the Caps will win this series, but seeing they are very beatable and proving without Ovechkin contributions they just are not that dominate.

WH
04-17-2010, 06:25 PM
So wish I was there...

This is off subject folks.. Please help!! So I just went and bought my GF's engagement ring today.. I really want my ring to be something that is about Pittsburgh (The city or Pengiuns or Pirates or Steelers). Any suggestions on where we can go when we are out there in a few weeks and look at my ring? Sorry to go off subject..

Now back to our Pens!!!

I don't know how much Triangle cut diamonds cost, but the Pens use a triangle on their logo, the Steelers tried to use a triangle on they jersey's at one point, Downtown Pittsburgh is often referred to as the Golden Triangle.

SteelCityMom
04-17-2010, 07:07 PM
So wish I was there...

This is off subject folks.. Please help!! So I just went and bought my GF's engagement ring today.. I really want my ring to be something that is about Pittsburgh (The city or Pengiuns or Pirates or Steelers). Any suggestions on where we can go when we are out there in a few weeks and look at my ring? Sorry to go off subject..

Now back to our Pens!!!

Here's a few of the nicer stores in Pittsburgh...

Frost & Co. http://www.frostdiamonds.com/

Henne Jewelers http://www.hennejewelers.com/

Werner Jewelers http://www.decidio.com/local-businesses/v-48-jewelry%20stores/pennsylvania/Pittsburgh/werner-jewelers-55756.html

Helzberg Diamonds http://www.helzberg.com/storelocatorresults.do?method=view

Here's a list of jewelers in Pitt. though if you want to check out some stones and prices beforehand.

http://www.manta.com/mb_55_B63BY000_IJ7/jewelry_stores/pittsburgh_pa?pg=1

Congratulations and good luck!

LETS GO PENS! (and Habs!)

Edman
04-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Habs score. 3-1.

The Caps are in trouble.

SteelCityMom
04-17-2010, 07:19 PM
Habs go up 3-1!

:dancing::toast::dancing:

SteelCityMom
04-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Habs score. 3-1.

The Caps are in trouble.

I missed the first part of the 2nd period...has Ovi gotten more than one shot on goal yet? I know he finally managed one in the first.

NVM...looked it up, he's got 4 shots on goal tonight.

And Habs go up 4-1. Being reviewed though.

SteelCityMom
04-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Caps are choking...this goal will be good.

Habs up 4-1

SteelCityMom
04-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Ohhh and Caps wake up...4-2 towards the end of the 2nd.

Indo
04-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Habs 5-4

~4:00Left

SteelCityMom
04-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Games getting a little close here! Was tied up at 4-4...Habs just scored to make it 5-4 and then took a penalty.

Caps on PP with 4:43 to go.

GO HABS GO!

Indo
04-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Nice kill!

SteelCityMom
04-17-2010, 08:31 PM
No doubt! A little over 2 to go...LETS GO HABS!

SteelCityMom
04-17-2010, 08:33 PM
:banging::banging::banging::banging:

Carlson ties it at 5.

Indo
04-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Habs are getting lazy or tired...

SteelCityMom
04-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Yeah, or maybe OvenChicken actually waking up and doing something helps. He's got a goal and 3 assists tonight.

OT coming up.

Indo
04-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Looks like they're goin' to OT

Indo
04-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Habs

Grasping Defeat from the Clutches of Victory

dumbasses

SteelCityMom
04-17-2010, 08:54 PM
Blah...Craps win in OT on a shot from Backstrom. All tied up there too.

Habs got weak and lazy when they got a big lead.

X-Terminator
04-17-2010, 09:25 PM
I think one thing we can all agree on is that the Caps ain't winning shyt with that goaltending. Not every team is going to blow a 4-1 lead like the Habs did tonight either.

Shea
04-17-2010, 09:27 PM
I can't believe the Habs let that one get away. :doh:

steelpride12
04-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Dammit Habs! Blowing a 4 to 1 lead. Guess that's why they are the 8th seed!

WH
04-18-2010, 03:05 AM
At least NHL.com is praising Backstrom for the goal, and not getting on OVerchkin's **** train for the 4 point night.

steelpride12
04-18-2010, 09:26 AM
6:30 can't come any sooner! Let's Go Pens!

SteelCityMom
04-18-2010, 10:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5_WBoAzt2o&feature=player_embedded

We so need these guys at our igloo... lololololol

:rofl:

I've seen a couple of clips from them in Vancouver before...Green Men FTW!

steelpride12
04-18-2010, 11:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5_WBoAzt2o&feature=player_embedded

We so need these guys at our igloo... lololololol

I saw these guys while watching the game so hilarious! You know the Kings players wanted to smile or laugh! :rofl:

X-Terminator
04-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Just to get people in the mood for tonight...

tleh8BcbceA

steelpride12
04-18-2010, 11:37 AM
I like that X-T great post! Ahh Im so pumped for the game. I got my jersey reppin all day long and the house is decorated and ready to go. Im staying home for the game and then a 2.5 hour drive back up to school in Erie! GO PENS!:popcorn:

WH
04-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Spezza stayed with Crosby. He didn't get totally killed. The other 4 Senators that weren't doing a damn thing during that 12 second puck handling seminar are the ones that need to learn the concept of defense.

Crosby is amazing.

SteelCityMan786
04-18-2010, 01:33 PM
I think one thing we can all agree on is that the Caps ain't winning shyt with that goaltending. Not every team is going to blow a 4-1 lead like the Habs did tonight either.

A prime example of how it has bit them in the past. :chuckle:
5IDAv-2wVAk

Just to get people in the mood for tonight...

tleh8BcbceA

OWNED!

steelerdude15
04-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Let's Go Pens!!!!!

steelpride12
04-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Not bad first period! 1 to lead after the Poni goal great to get the first goal of game to quiet that crowd, but I think 4-5 shots is just not enough and the Pens just need to keep firing the shots because Elliot is their weak link for sure!

Good to see Regin get the goal denied it was def. a kicking motion and the Pens have a 4-3 PP in the second to work with they need to shoot, shoot, shoot!

GO PENS!

X-Terminator
04-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Now you just know the "conspiracy" BS is going to start up again about Regin's goal being disallowed. Because, you see, the Pens are never allowed to benefit from any call, even if it's the correct one. :coffee:

I thought both teams played well defensively in that period - neither team was giving up a whole lot of chances or shots. Blowing that 3-on-1 hurt, though, because that might have forced the Sens to press harder for a goal, which of course favors the Pens. If I'm in the Pens' locker room, I'm emphasizing killing this penalty and to not change a thing they're doing defensively.

steelpride12
04-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Now you just know the "conspiracy" BS is going to start up again about Regin's goal being disallowed. Because, you see, the Pens are never allowed to benefit from any call, even if it's the correct one. :coffee:

I thought both teams played well defensively in that period - neither team was giving up a whole lot of chances or shots. Blowing that 3-on-1 hurt, though, because that might have forced the Sens to press harder for a goal, which of course favors the Pens. If I'm in the Pens' locker room, I'm emphasizing killing this penalty and to not change a thing they're doing defensively.

I agree I was thinking the same. Every playoffs the Pens always get some kind of conspiracy against them because they are never allowed to get the right call it will be coming soon you will see.

Great goal by Malkin he made a nice move around Sutton and 2 to 1 lead is big in the second.

steelpride12
04-18-2010, 07:13 PM
GOOOALLLLL!!! Sid off a turnover with great patience in front of the net pushing through everyone with a nice wrister to give the Pens a scary 2 goal leads after the second period! GO PENS!

steelpride12
04-18-2010, 07:40 PM
GOOALLLL!!! After an amazing save by Fluery to stop the score from going 3 to 2 a great pass to Guerin at the blue line for a break away goal to make this game a 4 to 1 Pens lead! Come on boys time to finish this game off and get a W on their home ice!

steelpride12
04-18-2010, 07:58 PM
4 to 2 Sens score on the PP, but as of now Fluery has played just great this game and if he can put out this performance, barring now more goals in the playoffs the Pens will shine once again!

Edman
04-18-2010, 08:06 PM
For a team that wins the Atlantic Division all the time, the Devils sure do suck in the playoffs. Lost 3-2 to Philly today and are down 2-1 in the series.

A little over 3 minutes to go, don't slip Penguins.

X-Terminator
04-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Another solid all-around performance for the Pens. Solid defense, good puck management, and capitalized on their chances when needed. Fleury once again did not have to face a lot of shots, just 20 for the game. Good job, gentlemen!

Man, if the Sens can't generate more shots and chances, they're going to be toast in this series. Other than on the PP, they couldn't get much going at all except in spurts.

steelpride12
04-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Great 4 to 2 win for the Pens and I sure was impressed. Came out scoring 4 goals at their home in front of a wild loud group! Sid still looks like a man possessed out there getting scoring chances every play and Malkin as well really impressed me tonight and all series long with his play!

Talbot is just made and fit for the playoffs he will score soon I wouldn't be surprised one bit! Fluery hey i say he had a great game. Gave up 2 goals both on the Sens PP and stopped 20 and one that was about to trickle into the net!

The Pens are coming out of their zone is strong numbers and made it hard for the Sens to get a good scoring chances. The D are stepping up on their man and blocking shots like crazy they have for sure improved after 3 games!

2 to1 Pens lead in the series let's take both games on the road! GO PENS!

OneForTheToe
04-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Another solid all-around performance for the Pens. Solid defense, good puck management, and capitalized on their chances when needed. Fleury once again did not have to face a lot of shots, just 20 for the game. Good job, gentlemen!

Man, if the Sens can't generate more shots and chances, they're going to be toast in this series. Other than on the PP, they couldn't get much going at all except in spurts.

Now this is the team I remember from last year. Solid defense, the stars shining, and role players like Talbot stepping up. The Sens are quite frustrated at the moment. It would be good to jump on them early on Tuesday.

OneForTheToe
04-18-2010, 09:02 PM
For a team that wins the Atlantic Division all the time, the Devils sure do suck in the playoffs. Lost 3-2 to Philly today and are down 2-1 in the series.

A little over 3 minutes to go, don't slip Penguins.

I have a sick feeling rooting for philthy, but anything to avoid Brodeur and that confounded neutral zone trap.:rant::m16:

SteelCityMom
04-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Just came across this...made me chuckle a bit.

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YuxaoLP4-OY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YuxaoLP4-OY&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

HometownGal
04-18-2010, 10:33 PM
What a WOW of a game by our Pens! :applaudit: :hatsoff: :banana:

They did almost everything right (except for the PK) and played a solid 60 minutes of Pens playoff hockey. Good to see Hottiekarovsky get his first playoff goal - he must be in hog heaven playing in the playoffs with a team that has a good chance of repeating as Champs! :hope: This team is now firing on all cylinders both offensively and defensively and if they keep playing like they have the last 2 games, I really don't know if there is a team out there who can keep them from Cup #4. :tt03:

Tuesday night can't get here soon enough!

LETS GO PENS!

steelpride12
04-18-2010, 10:55 PM
I have really been impressed with the D. I mean they are really giving the Sens hassles and I see they are stepping up on their man before they have a chance to shoot and blocking shots always only helps! GoGo and Letang with goals and the points shooting much more is also a huge plus!

Im telling you if this team and Fluery played like they did tonight they not only can win the series, but go for it all!

GO PENS!

steelerdude15
04-18-2010, 11:46 PM
Haha that video was funny. :chuckle: I'm very happy with the win tonight Pens! :tt02: Very good play and control of the puck. Great on taking control of the game and come out with a big victory!

Galax Steeler
04-19-2010, 03:58 AM
That was a good game by the Pens. Hard hitting and playing hard this is what they need to keep doing to win the series.

WH
04-19-2010, 06:08 AM
Jordan Staal can't hit the broad side of a barn with a hockey puck. He proved that many times before and really hammered it home when he missed that open net.

steelpride12
04-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Jordan Staal will score you watch he will show up in a big way and a big game like he always does.

stlrtruck
04-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Jordan Staal will score you watch he will show up in a big way and a big game like he always does.

:iagree:

And it may not be this series, but when it's vital, I too believe that he'll show up!

HometownGal
04-19-2010, 07:57 PM
http://files.shroomery.org/files/10-005/550017499-polar-bear-face-palm_thumbnail.jpg

That is all.

Shea
04-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Jordan Staal can't hit the broad side of a barn with a hockey puck. He proved that many times before and really hammered it home when he missed that open net.

Quit looking at Staal only in the offensive sense - which he will contribute - but start watching him with defense in mind.

You then will start to see how wrong your criticisms of him are and also how extremely unfair. Jordan is stellar on D.

My only gripe with him is when he's the one heading to the box because he will then be unavailabe for the PK.

He's that good.

steelpride12
04-20-2010, 12:21 AM
Yupp Staal can practically do it all. Any team would want him for their first line center. 21 goals in the regular season he can score, One of the best if not the best offensive defense men on 5 on 5's, but mostly on the PK.
And also of course on the second line PP he can produce. Sounds like one heck of a player to me.

WH
04-20-2010, 02:12 AM
Yupp Staal can practically do it all. Any team would want him for their first line center. 21 goals in the regular season he can score, One of the best if not the best offensive defense men on 5 on 5's, but mostly on the PK.
And also of course on the second line PP he can produce. Sounds like one heck of a player to me.
Except for any of the 16 teams in the playoffs and the top half of the 14 that aren't. If you paired Staal against the best defensive players on teams like the RedWings and Devils....he'd crash and burn.

10 PP goals in 4 seasons is production?

Anyways.

Recching ball kicked some ass last night

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=526281

HometownGal
04-20-2010, 06:28 AM
Quit looking at Staal only in the offensive sense - which he will contribute - but start watching him with defense in mind.

You then will start to see how wrong your criticisms of him are and also how extremely unfair. Jordan is stellar on D.

My only gripe with him is when he's the one heading to the box because he will then be unavailabe for the PK.

He's that good.

:applaudit::thumbsup::applaudit: AMEN sister! :drink:

Caps beat the Habs last night and take a 2-1 series lead. :banging:

I'm really looking forward to the game tonight and a Sens ass whoopin'!

LETS GO PENS! :tt03:

SteelMember
04-20-2010, 07:10 AM
Don Cherry singing the same old song. (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_677264.html)

Canadian broadcasting icon Don Cherry has accused Penguins center Sidney Crosby and select teammates of diving to draw penalties in a first-round Stanley Cup playoff series against the Ottawa Senators. During the first intermission of a "Hockey Night In Canada" broadcast of Game 3 on Sunday, Cherry called out wingers Tyler Kennedy and Matt Cooke, then Crosby, for diving — sarcastically noting that Crosby has "iron legs." Crosby shrugged off Cherry's comments on Monday. He insisted that "everyone who watches the games... can make their own opinions about who dives." Cherry has drawn the wrath of Penguins fans for allegedly taking shots at Crosby since his rookie season five years ago.

Ya. Everybodys diving, Don. :doh:
Now go back to your cereal box before those darn kids try to steal your lucky charms.

and in other news....

Johnson's return

Goalie Brent Johnson said he expects to dress for Game 4 tonight. He has sat the past two games while recovering from flu-like symptoms, including a troubling bout with dehydration. He was one of the last players to leave the ice yesterday after facing shots from assistant coaches and players likely to be scratched tonight — including left wing Ruslan Fedotenko, who is likely to sit for a third straight game.

steelpride12
04-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Great that Johnson is returning to the lineup and Im not sure if Leopold will return tonight, but Mckee stepped up great and I think his shot blocking ability really helps the Pens and it would be a boost if he remained in the line up.

Well Caps looks back to normal and another playoffs where it will be Sid and Capt. Caveman leading the way in points and goals and im more than ready to take on the Caps again!

7 can't come soon enough LET'S GO PENS!

X-Terminator
04-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Except for any of the 16 teams in the playoffs and the top half of the 14 that aren't. If you paired Staal against the best defensive players on teams like the RedWings and Devils....he'd crash and burn.

10 PP goals in 4 seasons is production?

Hmmm, Staal isn't any good, huh? Well, how about this:

Datsyuk, Kesler, Jordan Staal Named Selke Finalists

NEW YORK -- Pavel Datsyuk of the Detroit Red Wings, Ryan Kesler of the Vancouver Canucks and Jordan Staal of the Pittsburgh Penguins are the three finalists for the 2009-10 Frank Selke Trophy, awarded "to the forward who best excels in the defensive aspects of the game," the National Hockey League announced today.

Members of the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association submitted ballots for the Frank Selke Trophy at the conclusion of the regular season, with the top three vote-getters designated as finalists. The winner will be announced Wednesday, June 23, during the 2010 NHL Awards that will be broadcast live from the Pearl Concert Theater inside the Palms Hotel Las Vegas on VERSUS in the United States and on CBC in Canada.

Following are the finalists for the Frank Selke Trophy, in alphabetical order:

Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit Red Wings

A master at getting and keeping the puck, Datsyuk led the NHL in takeaways for the third time in the past four seasons with a career-high 132, nearly 60% more than second-place Ryan Kesler of Vancouver (83). Datsyuk ranked second on the Red Wings in plus-minus with a +17 rating and was the club's top face-off man, posting a 55% winning percentage (590 of 1,070). Datsyuk could become the first player to win the Selke Trophy for three consecutive seasons since Bob Gainey of the Montreal Canadiens won it the first four seasons it was presented, from 1978 through 1981.

Ryan Kesler, Vancouver Canucks

Kesler ranked second in the League in takeaways (83), appeared in all 82 games and averaged a career-high 19:37 in ice time, second among Canucks forwards to Henrik Sedin. The speedy center ranked ninth among NHL centers in face-offs taken (1,401), winning a team-best and career-high 55% of them (772), led the Canucks in total shorthanded time (218:20), dished out 95 hits and recorded 73 blocked shots. Kesler has earned a berth as a Selke Trophy finalist for the second consecutive season, finishing third in last year's voting behind Datsyuk and Philadelphia's Mike Richards.

Jordan Staal, Pittsburgh Penguins

Staal received plenty of ice time against the NHL's top centers in 2009-10, appearing in all 82 games and ranking third among Pittsburgh forwards in ice time per game (19:23), trailing only Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. He played more shorthanded minutes (274:08) than every NHL forward except St. Louis' Jay McClement (306:53). The 21-year-old also led the Penguins in plus-minus with a career-best +19 rating. Staal is a Selke finalist for the first time and will be making his second trip to the NHL Awards, having finished third in voting for the Calder Trophy as the League's top rookie in 2007.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=526328&navid=DL|PIT|home

While I think Pavel Datsyuk will win it once again, you don't get Selke nominations if you suck.

SteelCityMom
04-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Yeah XT, that's great and all, but he obviously sucks since he doesn't score like Sid.

Quit trying to drag facts and weak Selke nominations into this, the Pens clearly need to trade his sorry butt.

This message has been brought to you by....

http://schol.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/national-sarcasm.jpg

P.S. Congrats to Gronk for getting the nomination at such a young age! That's a tremendous accomplishment for him.

WH
04-20-2010, 01:15 PM
I agree with NHL.com, this is the best startoff to the playoffs since I can remember.

anyways.

Yay! Defensive Forward of the year! I'm sure teams that need a 1st line center are lining up with trade offers for a defensive center.

::see above picture::

X-Terminator
04-20-2010, 01:27 PM
I agree with NHL.com, this is the best startoff to the playoffs since I can remember.

Yay! Defensive Forward of the year! I'm sure Teams that need a 1st line center are lining up with trade offers for a DEFENSIVE

Yeah, like nobody in the league wouldn't want any of those guys on one of their top lines. :coffee:

Dude, you need to get over your hatred. Staal is never going to be a superstar the likes of Crosby or Malkin...which BTW happens to be the only reason why he is centering the 3rd line here. On most other teams, he'd be one of the top 2 centers without question. He is a damn good player and he puts up better numbers than a lot of top 6 forwards. He only scored 4 less goals than Kesler and 6 less than Datsyuk, for crying out loud. But nah, let's get rid of him, because he can't score 50 goals like Crosby. Trust me, there would be PLENTY of teams lining up to trade for him.

WH
04-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah, like nobody in the league wouldn't want any of those guys on one of their top lines. :coffee:

Dude, you need to get over your hatred. Staal is never going to be a superstar the likes of Crosby or Malkin...which BTW happens to be the only reason why he is centering the 3rd line here. On most other teams, he'd be one of the top 2 centers without question. He is a damn good player and he puts up better numbers than a lot of top 6 forwards. He only scored 4 less goals than Kesler and 6 less than Datsyuk, for crying out loud. But nah, let's get rid of him, because he can't score 50 goals like Crosby. Trust me, there would be PLENTY of teams lining up to trade for him.

To put him on their first line as a center? Name 3 teams.

Never said get rid of him. ever.

I'll get over my hatred for Jordan Staal when he comes through in a big way in the playoffs this year. Which one of you think is a guarantee. In fact. I'll do my best to be the first person to comment here about it to recognize his accomplishment AND eat my crow sandwich.

I will, however, not agree that he would flourish as a 1st OR 2nd line center. His points would suffer greatly against the top defensive pairings of most NHL teams. Hopefully we will never see him as a permanent 1st or 2nd line center while he is with Pittsburgh. (That would mean either Sid or Gino are gone).

X-Terminator
04-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Never said get rid of him. ever.

I'll get over my hatred for Jordan Staal when he comes through in a big way in the playoffs this year. Which one of you think is a guarantee. In fact. I'll do my best to be the first person to comment here about it to recognize his accomplishment AND eat my crow sandwich.

I will, however, not agree that he would flourish as a 1st OR 2nd line center. Hopefully we will never see him as a permanent 1st or 2nd line center while he is with Pittsburgh. (That would mean either Sid or Gino are gone)

Comes through in a big way this year? Hell, he's already done that. I guess you forgot that SH goal he scored in game 4 of the Final last year that many people say tipped that series in the Pens' favor?

Would you like that crow beer batter-dipped or served raw?

And of course, you can totally see the future that Staal would never flourish as a 1st or 2nd line center given that he's just 22 years old and can never, ever, ever improve as he matures.

SteelCityMom
04-20-2010, 02:03 PM
I will, however, not agree that he would flourish as a 1st OR 2nd line center. His points would suffer greatly against the top defensive pairings of most NHL teams. Hopefully we will never see him as a permanent 1st or 2nd line center while he is with Pittsburgh. (That would mean either Sid or Gino are gone).

You mean he doesn't match up well against top D men? Like US Olympic Team Alternate Captain and top D man Brian Rafalski?

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZKHRYu9Lrbs&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZKHRYu9Lrbs&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

WH
04-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Comes through in a big way this year? Hell, he's already done that. I guess you forgot that SH goal he scored in game 4 of the Final last year that many people say tipped that series in the Pens' favor?

Would you like that crow beer batter-dipped or served raw?

And of course, you can totally see the future that Staal would never flourish as a 1st or 2nd line center given that he's just 22 years old and can never, ever, ever improve as he matures.

How did his SH goal last year tip the scales in their favor when the Wings won 5-0 the next game? It tipped the scales in their favor that game, sure, but not the whole damn series.

I don't doubt he can mature and become amazing, shoot, I hope for nothing more. I say as Jordan Staal is here and now he would not flourish as a top 2 line center.

edit: didn't see SCM's video.

Yeah, saw that last year. And I cheered for Jordan Staal's accomplishments. I also jeered at him when he was lollygagging, falling down, and turning over the puck too.

SteelCityMom
04-20-2010, 02:08 PM
I don't know, maybe it's just me...but being a Selke nominee at 21 and being a consistent 20+ goal scorer on the third line is pretty amazing.

He also does center the 2nd line many times. Either when Geno is injured or on line with Sid.

X-Terminator
04-20-2010, 02:22 PM
How did his SH goal last year tip the scales in their favor when the Wings won 5-0 the next game? It tipped the scales in their favor that game, sure, but not the whole damn series.

I don't doubt he can mature and become amazing, shoot, I hope for nothing more. I say as Jordan Staal is here and now he would not flourish as a top 2 line center.

Because it gave them belief that they could beat that team even after being drubbed 5-0 in the next game.

Anyway, whatever. It's still a big goal in a big moment on the biggest stage of them all.

And again, the only reason Staal isn't one of the top centers right now is because of Malkin and Crosby. Otherwise, he would be, and would likely have better linemates than he has now in Cooke and Kennedy, which would allow him to flourish. Sure, he has things he needs to work on, such as using his size more often to create room for himself and his face-offs, which aren't good. But the kid is good now, and he's only going to get better - whether it's here or with another team.

WH
04-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Because it gave them belief that they could beat that team even after being drubbed 5-0 in the next game.

that 1 goal by Jordan Staal gave them the belief that they could beat the Red Wings in game 6?

whhhhaaaat? I'd like to agree with you there, but they are already done that in game 3.....

SCM. what are his numbers like when he does that? I know they are good when he's Geno's winger. I believe that's where he got a fair share of his rookie season points.

SteelCityMom
04-20-2010, 02:47 PM
that 1 goal by Jordan Staal gave them the belief that they could beat the Red Wings in game 6?

whhhhaaaat? I'd like to agree with you there, but they are already done that in game 3.....

SCM. what are his numbers like when he does that? I know they are good when he's Geno's winger. I believe that's where he got a fair share of his rookie season points.

Well, his rookie season he scored 4 PP goals, 7 SH goals and 1 penalty shot out of his 29 goals. I myself cannot remember or find the information on whether Staal was a center or a winger with Malkin...though I'm sure that didn't hurt his numbers if he was. You could conversely say that Staal helped Malkin with his numbers that year as well if they were on line together a lot (both were rookies and both were up for the Calder with Malkin winning).

XT might remember better than I do, but I don't recall Staal playing winger for Malkin (at least not normally).

As for his numbers when he centers the 2nd line, I honestly couldn't tell you. Maybe some NHL stat keeper somewhere knows that answer, but I just know that he does it often.

X-Terminator
04-20-2010, 02:48 PM

I don't know, that's what the media has said. :noidea: Personally, that goal meant a lot because it helped the Pens to even things up and give them a legitimate chance at winning the series. Had they lost that game, they may not have recovered - just like in 2008.

Anyway, his numbers are not good when he has been asked to center the 2nd line. But then again, look at his linemates for a lot of those games. Some guys just do not work well together, and Staal just didn't fit with Fedotenko and Dupuis the way he does with Cooke and Kennedy, or with Malkin. I think his top-6 future here in Pittsburgh is at wing rather than center, to be honest, because Sid and Geno aren't going anywhere for a very long time.