PDA

View Full Version : HOLMES TRADED TO JETS for a 5th RD pick in 2010

Pages : 1 [2] 3

spyboots
04-12-2010, 08:55 AM
And a 5th is not "too low." That's the FO's way of telling him what they feel he's worth, i.e., it wasn't hard at all to let him go.

Also, it's trading away 3/4 of the season since he'll more than likely miss the first 4 games. It came down to "get him out and do it NOW!" He wanted to go to a big market, so they called New York and knew Ryan would want him -- after all, when he was with the Ravens, he got to see Holmes in action first hand.

fansince'76
04-12-2010, 08:55 AM
shame to see him go thought.
dang and i just bought his jersey back in december.

That's why I no longer buy jerseys of current players - only throwbacks.

Steel_12
04-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Drug problems or off the field issues...SO WHAT!!! This is the worst trade I've ever seen the Steelers make...BY FAR! I knew the people who do no wrong would be on here bashing Santonio. Is James Harrison a loser too because he beat his woman? Maybe we should trade him for a 6th rounder! Smoking weed is not having a drug problem. Crack, heroin...those are drug problems.

This makes the Steelers look even worse. I hear people saying that no player is bigger than the organization...well maybe pride shouldn't be bigger than the organization. Then to make an example of Santonio (IMO they went too far) and not Big Ben is ridiculous!

revefsreleets
04-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Youngsters and the ignorant, take note: THIS is what us older Steelers fans mean when we talk about "The Steeler Way", and why we scoff at the ridiculous posts about picking up FA trash like TO and Mike Vick.

The Steelers will not play the game like the Cowboys or Ratbirds. They will not "Win at any cost". Integrity and character still count for this team.

So endeth the lesson.

mesaSteeler
04-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Remember the last Steeler WR to play in New York? I would not be surprised if the pothead punk Holmes self destructs the way Plexiglass did. Maybe the Pothead and Plexiglass will have adjoining cells.

As far as trading the pothead for a fifth round pick it's obvious that he wasn't going to stay next year anyway so why not get something for him this year?

Art II is asserting his control over the team. He tried being a nice guy but now the gloves are off. The fat fool Arians with his pass happy offense better be paying attention as well. Art II means it when he says he wants us to run the ball more.

mesaSteeler
04-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Youngsters and the ignorant, take note: THIS is what us older Steelers fans mean when we talk about "The Steeler Way", and why we scoff at the ridiculous posts about picking up FA trash like TO and Mike Vick.

The Steelers will not play the game like the Cowboys or Ratbirds. They will not "Win at any cost". Integrity and character still count for this team.

So endeth the lesson.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit::applaudit::applaudit:

Absolutely correct. It's why I've been a Steeler fan for 46 years.

memphissteelergirl
04-12-2010, 09:01 AM
There has to be something MAJOR here that is more behind the scenes that we know.
I mean, a FIFTH rounder for a guy that was a super bowl MVP 2 years ago??!!!??!!??

There has to be!

I was scanning the ESPN headlines on my Blackberry and imagine my shock! WTH is going on here!?

Steel_12
04-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Integrity and character for SOME players still count for this team.

stlrz fan
04-12-2010, 09:03 AM
If he was unhappy here he would just become a mouthy cancer here over the course of the season. Although he would be auditioning he would be too much of a distraction. So long Santonio!

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-12-2010, 09:05 AM
I knew the Steelers would do something like this to protect their retarded image that means absolutely nothing. Steelers are in rebuild mode now, maybe we can make the playoffs again in three years.

I think you have no concept of either team image OR trade value.

The Steelers image is far from "retarded"...When virtutally every news agency and talking head mention our "image" when reporting on the off-field problems...then you can bet the the sporting world knows abou the Steeler tradition and their believe in character. Its not a myth...its doesnt mean "absolutely nothing". The way that the Front Office has done business has given us nothing less than 6 Superbowls and has made us the envy of every team in the NFL.

In regards to the trade...I am sorry to see Santonio go....but lets be realisitic. This was the last year of his contract and there was virtually no way that we were going to be able to resign him. He would have gone into FA and we would have gotten nothing for him. With a possible 4 game suspension we traded a troubled player who was only going to give us 12 more total games in his career.

Losing Holmes sucks...but its not the end of the world and that 5th round pick can packaged to get us an extra player in the top 100.

KeiselPower99
04-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Look at his past week. being sued running his mouth about wanting to play for a bigger market an the 4 game suspension that is to be annouced today. He brought ti upon himself and Im happy to see him go. Always been to ****y for me. Now we see why Battle and Randle El were signed

SteelerFanInStl
04-12-2010, 09:10 AM
I'm still :mad: about this trade. Not so much the fact that they traded him, I can understand why, but the fact that they got so little in return. Here's part of an article on nfl.com:

Some league executives who were reached Sunday night said that despite their concerns with Holmes' behavior, it was surprising the Steelers did not get at least a third-round pick in return, with teams like Washington, Miami, Tampa Bay and Carolina among those in need of a wide receiver.

That's exactly what I'm thinking and that's what bothers me. There needs to be more to this for it to even come close to make sense.

revefsreleets
04-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Integrity and character for SOME players still count for this team.

Ben will NOT be charged today. Unless you think he should be charged with being a practicing heterosexual?

What Ben did and what Holmes has REPEATEDLY done are vastly different. And the other players only had single incidents.

Interceptor
04-12-2010, 09:13 AM
What the hell just happened? Your team gave up one of the league's most dangerous receivers for peanuts?!

fansince'76
04-12-2010, 09:15 AM
What the hell just happened? Your team gave up one of the league's most dangerous receivers for peanuts?!

Thet's funny, because all I've ever heard from opposing fans is how he's "overrated" and doesn't make a hair on the ass of WRs like Fitz, Boldin, Marshall, Moss, etc., etc. Now all of a sudden he's one of the most dangerous WRs in the league?

devilsdancefloor
04-12-2010, 09:16 AM
for all who are complaining ab9ut a 5th round pick... think a second.... maybe we are going to trade away some draft picks to get a few players we want? just a thought...

steelballs
04-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Right or wrong, good or bad, I think the Steelers did this for one reason and one reason only.... to send a message.

The older crowd on this site understands and probably expected a move similar to this, including myself, but the newer crowd is now being enlightened as to how the Steelers control their internal malcontents and overall image. This move is shocking, but certainly not unexpected.

Steel_12
04-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Ben will NOT be charged today. Unless you think he should be charged with being a practicing heterosexual?

What Ben did and what Holmes has REPEATEDLY done are vastly different. And the other players only had single incidents.

Santonio will not be charged for his alledged offense either. I hear what you're saying but it does look suspect. We knew Santonio had off the field issues BEFORE we drafted him. Why not suspend him for 4 games and keep one of the best WR in the game instead of trading him for a 5th? I know he was in his last year of his contract but if other teams are saying they're surprised the Steelers didn't get at least a 3rd round pick for him, WTF are we doing?

supa_fly_steeler
04-12-2010, 09:19 AM
Everyone

Light em up and pass em around we wake n bake all day everyday

dezignpro04
04-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Mike Wallace and Hines the starters with Randle El as the 3 WR... I wouldn't call it pressing..

I do like the kid from ND.. The guy looks like a Steve Smith (CAR) clone.

I agree. Plus the last season of 1200+ yards is also because of Big Ben. If you think that is going to happen with the Jets your crazy. They went to the playoffs with what . . . a 9-7 record. They wouldn't have even been there if the Colts would have done their job and beat them.

Randell El makes a better back up QB than C Batch. Also I think with him we have a better return man than Logan as well. I am pissed about the trade too, but the world isn't over. I was pissed when Parker was benched - then we found out who Mendenhall was. I also think Mike W is going to be a stud if developed properly.

I do think the Steelers know something we don't. I also have heard that its a 4 game minimum suspension. Could be longer, and if it ends up being half the season that makes it a even better trade.

lamberts-lost-tooth

Very simple...you see, integrity must be part of the team concept because...oh....wait....just saw your avitar.

never mind.
:chuckle:

SteelMember
1st time he got dinged for drug test failure was a 3 game pay check fine. This is his second time and it costs him and his team a 4 game suspension. The next time is a one year suspension.

He has also pissed off the Rooneys with his tweets and continues to get into situations off the field that could land him in trouble with the NFL.

This guy is a proven slow learner and if he gets dinged again he would have been lost to us anyway.

We would not have been able to resign him next year and if he screwed up again during this year we lose him for nothing. Now at least we have an extra pick to package up and do whatever the front office wants in this draft. We have what, 11 picks now, and how many open positions on the team?

The Steelers have dealt with this situation quikly, effectively and have sent the message that they will restore the Steelers Integrity at any cost.

True.

THIS is not "how you be great!"

Big pay day + Off-field issues + Possible suspension = FO... cut to the chase.

I wish there was another piece in this trade for us, but unfortunately, I would not be suprised if the 5th is all we get.

So long, Smokey. :smoker: :wave:

steelerchad
04-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Guys- This trade served 2 purposes.
One to tell Santonio he isn't more important than the team.
Two- To get something for a guy who was gone after this year anyway. Without the pending suspension and off field issues, we likely keep him through this year. But we wouldn't resign him for 2011 anyway, there's no way he would negotiate a fair contract with the Steelers.
Remember, this guy is good. But, he thinks he is "great". In fact, he told us so in the SB. This is how you be great.
So go ahead and be great in NY, if you're unproven sophomore QB can get you the ball in between the 40 or so runs a game.

In the big scheme of things, if we get a solid special teamer for 5 years with that 5th rd pick it may be of more value than the 12 game max we had left with Santonio. And that's 12 games if his stupid A** doesn't get in any more trouble.

Also, I think this gives Sweed one more chance to make an impact on this team. I think that kids got potential he has just had a rough start to his career. I think we're really talking about 3 dropped passes that have defined his career so far. If he can put those out of his head, I think he has a chance to live up to his original potential. This may be the break he needed to get on the field and show us.

Steel_12
04-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Right or wrong, good or bad, I think the Steelers did this for one reason and one reason only.... to send a message.

The older crowd on this site understands and probably expected a move similar to this, including myself, but the newer crowd is now being enlightened as to how the Steelers control their internal malcontents and overall image. This move is shocking, but certainly not unexpected.

It doesn't matter the age of the crowd...we all understand how the Steelers operate. Some of us just can't understand the 5th rounder for a top 10 WR.

fansince'76
04-12-2010, 09:26 AM

Yep, same here - I think this may have gotten Ben's attention.

revefsreleets
04-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Steelers have an uncanny knack for dumping players RIGHT before something really bad happens (although there have been a few exceptions).

My guess is that, as someone previously posted, there is MUCH more than meets the eye here....we'll have to sit back and see how it all shakes out.

steelballs
04-12-2010, 09:28 AM
It doesn't matter the age of the crowd...we all understand how the Steelers operate. Some of us just can't understand the 5th rounder for a top 10 WR.

OK....I'll give the younger crowd the benefit of the doubt, but the quickness of the move and subsequent lack of value for Holmes doesn't surprise me. The Steelers were looking to make a bold statement and they certainly accomplished that.

Steelersfan4life0655
04-12-2010, 09:29 AM

i really hope this got Ben's attention! If not, well........

Fire Haley
04-12-2010, 09:30 AM
So, we're taking a WR in the 1st rd now - and we play the Jets this year - that means Gay will be covering Holmes? Yeah - that should be fun to watch.

Our WR group just went from the best in the AFC North to the worst. And Ben will just have to hold onto the ball even longer looking for an open receiver, until he gets hurt.

Dixon to Sweed!

No wonder all the Steelers haters around the league are laughing at the Steelers today.

Steelersfan4life0655
04-12-2010, 09:31 AM
I trust the FO on what just happened. They are one of the best in the game, heck, maybe in all of sports. I just hope when the Jets come to town, that Holmes doesnt have a good game! Hope are secondary gives him hell!!:tt02::tt02:

Kindjunior
04-12-2010, 09:32 AM
THIS is not "how you be great!"

We always brag about the integrity of our team. Today is the day we all get to pay the price for making that claim. Have faith in the winningest franchise in NFL history. I do.

steelballs
04-12-2010, 09:33 AM

I'm sure all of SteelerNation hopes so as well.

Ben is still young and dumb and will still have to learn life's lessons on his own, but a move like this and the stern "talking to" he receives from Goodell and I'm sure from Art II and hopefully Dan will steer him in the right direction once and for all.

steelerchad
04-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Very simple...you see, integrity must be part of the team concept because...oh....wait....just saw your avitar.

never mind.

I like this one.
You likely won't get a response though.
Truth hurts.

The Steelers aren't perfect, but they're the closest thing to perfection in the NFL. Less than 5 teams in the NFL even think about cutting ties with Holmes. The Steelers have repeatedly done this in the past.

Indo
04-12-2010, 09:53 AM
:twocents:

Revs and others have it right:
The Steelers are about Integrity and Character. It IS NOT about winning at ALL costs. Not a single one of those silver trophies has an asterisk attached to it...

Holmes has repeatedly had off-field issues. And for those of you who keep saying that THC is not a drug, you are simply wrong. It is. And, at this point in time it is not only illegal, it is strictly forbidden by NFL Policy. That means during the off-season as well as during the season.

Why was Holmes case re-opened AFTER it was dropped? Could it possibly be that his drug screen turned out to be POSITIVE? And, as someone said, was it ONLY THC that was positive, or were there other positives?

For all of his talent, is this a person with Character?

EVEN if the off-field antics are ignored, Holmes has, AT BEST, 12 games as a Steeler. He will be gone after this season.

Then there is the Twitter thing.
These athletes are too stupid to realize that their Tweets actually mean something...Holmes, again, showed a WHOLE LOT OF CHARACTER (where is the sarcasm smiley?) in his Tweets...
and he basically has said he doesn't want to be a Steeler.

So there you have it:
No character
Drug problems (Yes. Problems. Period. When they (those that sign your check)say "stop doing that", and you don't or can't, you have a problem)
Stupid Tweets
Repeated idiocy

and you are gone.

I'm not saying that I like it (purely from the perspective of his talent), but I DO like it from the perspective that it is GETTING BACK TO THE STEELERS WAY

and I do have a feeling that there is more to this deal; that the FO has "other plans" for making things better than they seem right now.

The FO knows what it is doing
we are all just a bunch of dumbasses on a message board.
we twirl our towels and bitch about their decisions
THEY (not "WE") have 6 Lombardis
we just cheer them for it
PROUDLY

Steel_12
04-12-2010, 09:56 AM
I think it's funny how people don't think Ben has character issues.

steelballs
04-12-2010, 09:57 AM

The Steelers are about Integrity and Character. It IS NOT about winning at ALL costs. Not a single one of those silver trophies has an asterisk attached to it...

Holmes has repeatedly had off-field issues. And for those of you who keep saying that THC is not a drug, you are simply wrong. It is. And, at this point in time it is not only illegal, it is strictly forbidden by NFL Policy. That means during the off-season as well as during the season.

Why was Holmes case re-opened AFTER it was dropped? Could it possibly be that his drug screen turned out to be POSITIVE? And, as someone said, was it ONLY THC that was positive, or were there other positives?

EVEN if the off-field antics are ignored, Holmes has, AT BEST, 12 games as a Steeler. He will be gone after this season.

These athletes are too stupid to realize that their Tweets actually mean something...Holmes, again, showed a WHOLE LOT OF CHARACTER (where is the sarcasm smiley?) in his Tweets...

So there you have it:
No character
Drug problems (Yes. Problems. Period. When they (those that sign your check)say "stop doing that", and you don't or can't, you have a problem)
Stupid Tweets
Repeated idiocy

and you are gone.

I'm not saying that I like it (purely from the perspective of his talent), but I DO like it from the perspective that it is GETTING BACK TO THE STEELERS WAY

and I do have a feeling that there is more to this deal; that the FO has "other plans" for making things better than they seem right now.

PROUDLY

Well said.

dezignpro04
04-12-2010, 09:59 AM

So there you have it:
No character
Stupid Tweets
Repeated idiocy

and you are gone.

PROUDLY

Yes! This was there way of sending a message to Ben for 2 offenses without actually suspending him (pending todays 2pm DA release). We NEED Ben - Holmes was a bonus and the team did not need him to win games. We have other big play makers.

He was an awesome receiver, and I keep getting flashbacks of the catch in the super bowl, but I think he can be a CANCER like TO has been for every team he has played on.

WH
04-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Steelers will use Both 5th Round picks, and their third to trade up to draft Tim Tebow. Mark it down.

/sarcasm

I have to agree with everyone that is a fan of this trade.

Fire Haley
04-12-2010, 10:03 AM
We do have four 5th rd picks now, I believe.

I'd still say the entire Steelers F.O. should be drug tested immediately.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-12-2010, 10:04 AM
We can package that 5th and move up in the 4th or the third to grab WR's Taylor Price out Ohio or Andre Roberts from the Citadel.

Price is 6'1 204 lbs ..high character and great hands...good route runner...and returns kickoffs...4.40 forty.

Roberts is 5'11 195 lbs... he is a "yes sir, no sir" type of young man...excellent route runner...also had a 4.40 forty and returns kickoffs.

LambertIsGod58
04-12-2010, 10:08 AM
Steelers will use Both 5th Round picks, and their third to trade up to draft Tim Tebow. Mark it down.

/sarcasm

I have to agree with everyone that is a fan of this trade.

I hope this is a joke......Why would we want Tebow? Reed need someone to hold for xtra points?

Edman
04-12-2010, 10:10 AM
The trade at all doesn't bother me. It's what we got in return that sucks.

Santonio for all of his talents and skill, is a headcase. He's facing a suspension, and has been in constant trouble with the law. The dude has been arrested twice before his first game.

The most the Steelers are going to get out of the guy is 12 games for a reciever who outside the 2008 playoffs and XLIII, has been a run of the mill WR.

Steel_12
04-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Yes! This was there way of sending a message to Ben for 2 offenses without actually suspending him (pending todays 2pm DA release). We NEED Ben - Holmes was a bonus and the team did not need him to win games. We have other big play makers.

He was an awesome receiver, and I keep getting flashbacks of the catch in the super bowl, but I think he can be a CANCER like TO has been for every team he has played on.

Lol so you're saying that Holmes was expendible so that we can send a message to Ben? WOW...I keep hearing how no one player is bigger than the organization but it seems that Ben is to some of you.

Prok
04-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Absolutely insane. A 5th? Retarded.

Hell just keep him on the team and accept the 4 game suspension over a 5th round pick, Jesus.

My thoughts exactly. I can understand trading him but he's worth more than a freakin 5th...

dezignpro04
04-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Lol so you're saying that Holmes was expendible so that we can send a message to Ben? WOW...I keep hearing how no one player is bigger than the organization but it seems that Ben is to some of you.

Not expendable by any means. He would have been gone whether Ben was in legal trouble or not, that was not the reason. But if you are going to tell me that it didnt come up in the discussion of the FO then your lying to yourself.

You think they can tell Ben to behave himself while they put up with Holmes crap. Pot meet kettle.

My thoughts exactly. I can understand trading him but he's worth more than a freakin 5th...

That suspension is also dependant on the outcome of the situation. If he is found guilty mark my words, it will be a longer suspension. Then what will the Jets use him for - water boy.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-12-2010, 10:15 AM
You can't trade comp picks.

Write it down.

They now have four 5th round picks...only two are comp picks...so yes...they could trade two 5th rounders.

Vincent
04-12-2010, 10:17 AM
I liked the rumor that we were going to trade him to the 9ers for an exchange of our #1s, and their #2. That deal makes much more sense. Can we have that please?

Oh, its too late?

Trade him, yes. But trade him to the other conference and get some value.

tony hipchest
04-12-2010, 10:17 AM
The trade at all doesn't bother me. It's what we got in return that sucks.

:iagree: im still pissed and highly disappointed. i know hindsight is 20-20 but cant forget what we gave up to get him.

a 1st, 2nd, and 4th to the giants. we get their 3rd and 1st in return. here is our 2006 draft in a nutshell-

santonio holmes
willie reid
anthony smith
:banging:

we coulda had nick freaking mangold. :doh: = worst steelers draft gaffe of the decade.

LambertIsGod58
04-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Couldn't agree more......

Vincent
04-12-2010, 10:20 AM
They now have four 5th round picks...only two are comp picks...so yes...they could trade two 5th rounders.

That'd be worth 61.5 points which gets us the 21st pick of the 4th round. You can't put lipstick on this pig.

cardsfanmd
04-12-2010, 10:20 AM
I could see Santonio for Darelle Revis but santonio for a 5th round pick? come on

No GM in the history of the world would ever consider trading Revis for Holmes. I'm not sure Holmes and a 1st would be able to pry away the best corner in the game.

Glace
04-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Only getting a 5th round pick bothers me....but I'm glad to see Holmes gone.

I just can't even see past his big-headed douchebaggery anymore. If I saw one more muscle flex after a 2 yard reception on a 3rd and 15...I would have smashed my TV. Not to mention all his REAL legal issues.

I thank him for his superbowl winning catch...but that is it.

Hasta la vista, baby.

cardsfanmd
04-12-2010, 10:23 AM

Is that supposed to be a joke? The steelers were all about integrity when they were roiding up their players to win those silver trophies???????? How many linemen are still alive from those championship teams?

The Steelers are a well run team and have a great history, but I think you took that one a bit too far.

Fire Haley
04-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Steelers new draft board\

http://a5.vox.com/6a00c2252963c0549d0109d0793405000e-500pi

dezignpro04
04-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Only getting a 5th round pick bothers me....but I'm glad to see Holmes gone.

I just can't even see past his big-headed douchebaggery anymore. If I saw one more muscle flex after a 2 yard reception on a 3rd and 15...I would have smashed my TV. Not to mention all his REAL legal issues.

I thank him for his superbowl winning catch...but that is it.

Hasta la vista, baby.

True that.. lol

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/mikesousa05/111432_cropped.jpg

Lookit everybody predicting Sweed to be our new savior - ha ha - after a dozen threads running him out of town a month ago.

Not Sweed, Wallace maybe.

atlsteelers
04-12-2010, 10:25 AM
horrible tade, holmes can be an idiot but ultimately he is the scapegoat for pig ben. at least get something better than a 5th pick.

jaygorius
We always brag about the integrity of our team. Today is the day we all get to pay the price for making that claim. Have faith in the winningest franchise in NFL history. I do.

Very well said.

Jackal
Is that supposed to be a joke? The steelers were all about integrity when they were roiding up their players to win those silver trophies???????? How many linemen are still alive from those championship teams?

The Steelers are a well run team and have a great history, but I think you took that one a bit too far.

Everyone was roiding up their players in the '70s, give me a break.

Asshat.

SteelCityMom
04-12-2010, 10:31 AM

*sigh* You do know this was before roids were a banned substance right? And there wasn't a ton of information on how it they were detrimental to your health in the long run back then. For the most part they were used to help speed up healing.

cardsfanmd
04-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Everyone was roiding up their players in the '70s, give me a break.

Asshat.

It is common knowledge that the Steelers were the first team in the NFL to seriously integrate steroids and benefited big time from it with 4 rings. Denying that makes you either blatantly ignorant or a boldfaced liar.

MasterOfPuppets
04-12-2010, 10:32 AM
:iagree: im still pissed and highly disappointed. i know hindsight is 20-20 but cant forget what we gave up to get him.

a 1st, 2nd, and 4th to the giants. we get their 3rd and 1st in return. here is our 2006 draft in a nutshell-

santonio holmes
willie reid
anthony smith
:banging:

we coulda had nick freaking mangold. :doh: = worst steelers draft gaffe of the decade. i'm on record here as saying i still thought mangold would have been the better pick :banging: ....but anywho....did they even bother to call al davis , snyder, or jones ? i mean didn't they give up a 1st for roy freakin williams ? :doh:

dezignpro04
04-12-2010, 10:33 AM

It is common knowledge that the Steelers were the first team in the NFL to seriously integrate steroids and benefited big time from it with 4 rings. Denying that makes you either blatantly ignorant or a boldfaced liar.

Not much going on over at the Cardinals forum huh? Maybe you should start a thread about which QB is going to try and match the 40 year old from last year.

a) St Pierre
b) Leinart
c) Anderson
d) None of the above

zulater
Stonio had to go. I got that.

Given recent events he had little to no trade value. I got that too.

But significantly strengthening the hand of a top AFC contender for virtually no return? Sorry but I can't wrap myself around this one. :banging:

With the exception of the Ravens, I would have preffered Holmes to go just about anywhere outside the Jets. :mad:

fansince'76

Wrong. The '63 Chargers had the juice on their training table. Get a clue.

memphissteelergirl
*sigh* You do know this was before roids were a banned substance right?

Don't confuse that jello-for-brains with the facts, SCM. :wink02:

SteelCityMom

LOL....you've been reading too many youtube comments my friend.

Link with your proof please? I mean...since it's common knowledge.

cardsfanmd
04-12-2010, 10:34 AM
*sigh* You do know this was before roids were a banned substance right? And there wasn't a ton of information on how it they were detrimental to your health in the long run back then. For the most part they were used to help speed up healing.

That's fine and I completely understand, but I think it's unfair to say that those trophies were won entirely fair and square if you admit that they players who won them were using PEDs. Am I really that far off in saying this?

Glace
04-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Can we keep this thread on the topic of Holmes and not Steroids please?

SteelCityMom
04-12-2010, 10:35 AM
That's fine and I completely understand, but I think it's unfair to say that those trophies were won entirely fair and square if you admit that they players who won them were using PEDs. Am I really that far off in saying this?

Ummmm....yes you are.

Say it out loud with me now....nearly everyone was juicing in the 70's.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-12-2010, 10:36 AM

So there you have it:
No character
Stupid Tweets
Repeated idiocy

and you are gone.

PROUDLY

:thumbsup:

fansince'76
04-12-2010, 10:36 AM

Yeah, and we bought the refs in XL and XLIII too. Go away, jackass. :coffee:

MasterOfPuppets
04-12-2010, 10:37 AM
i'm gonna call that DA and tell them i saw holmes throw that glass at that girl....:chuckle:

Prok
04-12-2010, 10:38 AM
i'm gonna call that DA and tell them i saw holmes throw that glass at that girl....:chuckle:

LOL

I'm still a bit upset we didn't get more value for him.

dezignpro04
04-12-2010, 10:39 AM

While your at it, tell the other DA that Ben was to drunk to "get it up" and nothing happened.. :wink02:

cardsfanmd
04-12-2010, 10:39 AM
LOL....you've been reading too many youtube comments my friend.

Link with your proof please? I mean...since it's common knowledge.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/8322840
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_328813.html
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_462321.html
http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation/2008/06/so-terry-bradsh.html
http://eddriscoll.com/archives/006884.php

I could post thousands of these. Is this really necessary? I know you guys are pissed about getting nothing for Holmes and I get that----but I didn't do it.

tube517
04-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Looks like they were about to cut Sandoobio before the trade:

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/10102/1049772-66.stm

SteelCityMom
04-12-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm just glad we don't have to worry about him anymore. And a 5th round pick isn't so bad for a guy who's only going to play 12 games (at most) and want a huge payday at the end of it.

It won't surprise me to find out that he's getting charged with something serious or facing a long suspension for drugs either and the FO knew about it before it was leaked. If that's the case, I understand them getting rid of him as quickly as possible.

SteelCityMom
04-12-2010, 10:45 AM

I could post thousands of these. Is this really necessary? I know you guys are pissed about getting nothing for Holmes and I get that----but I didn't do it.

So which one says the Steelers were the ones that started the roids trend? I mean, one that isn't from the opining of Haslett either. Listen, we all know they did steroids. You claimed that they had an unfair advantage b/c of it and were the first team to use them....both statements which happen to be incredibly wrong to the nth degree.

And I'm not that upset about Holmes or the pick. It's an ok deal for a rental player.

LOL...after reading the articles more (b/c I know they're filled with nothing I don't already know) I found this.

For Courson, the Steelers were but a milepost in a long journey to steroid abuse that began before he was drafted into the league.

"Limited use" of steroids as a defensive lineman at the University of South Carolina rocketed to regular injections toward the end of his career with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the early 1980s, when age and injuries forced him "to rely on them" to stay in the league.

Thanks for backing up my original statements with this article.

atlsteelers

Have to disagree with you on this one. Even if holmes is charges and Ben walks...Ben's troubles are far worse than holmes...Ben's the highest paid player in franchise history and for two consuctive off season has been accused of sexual assualt.

It just easier to find franchise widouts than it is to find franchise qbs.

Steel_12
I'm just glad we don't have to worry about him anymore. And a 5th round pick isn't so bad for a guy who's only going to play 12 games (at most) and want a huge payday at the end of it.

It won't surprise me to find out that he's getting charged with something serious or facing a long suspension for drugs either and the FO knew about it before it was leaked. If that's the case, I understand them getting rid of him as quickly as possible.

Even if they were trying to get rid of him as quickly as possible, why not entertain other offers before you just give him away? If the rumors are true about teams willing to give up a 3rd rounder, why not go that way? This is crazy!

dezignpro04

You are in the wrong forum...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/mikesousa05/Funny%20Forum%20Stuff/cardinals2.jpg

Here you go - http://forums.azcardinals.com/index.php

XxKnightxX
04-12-2010, 10:46 AM
At first i was in the biggest WTF mood , but now that i gather my senses, I dont mind the trade. I just dont like the fact that they traded him to the jets because I live here and now i gotta listen to their bullshit. Anyway this sends a clear message to the whole TEAM and this is a TEAM sport. You do not taint their reputation and if you do then your ass is out. Now when you compare this to BBs situation, Ben kept his mouth shut and didnt say a damn thing, well Santo didnt he was very loud obnoxious and then running his mouth on the web and then bam another issue came up with his substance abuse policy. Way to go Steelers for setting your foot in their throats and showing that you guys arent doormats.

atlsteelers
04-12-2010, 10:52 AM
While your at it, tell the other DA that Ben was to drunk to "get it up" and nothing happened.. :wink02:

now thats funny

SteelCityMom
04-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Even if they were trying to get rid of him as quickly as possible, why not entertain other offers before you just give him away? If the rumors are true about teams willing to give up a 3rd rounder, why not go that way? This is crazy!

Maybe the did? None of us know really. I'm just saying it's not really as bad of a deal as everyone is making it out to be. If it ends up that he's going to be suspended for more than 4 games, or facing some kind of new criminal charge or something...this rental player deal will seem great. As it stands now, for a 12 game rental, I don't think it's that's bad.

CanadianSteel
04-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Heard about it on the drive to work this morning and nearly drove my car off the road..... Dude had issues .....but was a playmaker specially in big games and was hitting his prime and all they could get was a fifth for him ? Something else is going on but not sure what .. Holmes failed another drug test, or missed it....and will be suspended 4 game next year ?

Still I am pissed as our offense just took a huge unexpected hit IMO.... and a step back. I mean he is a FA at end of then year so let him play and take another run at the superbowl, and then choose not to resign him. If he signs elsewhere they would receive a comp pick anyhow likely better than a fifth. (depending on what type of agreement is reached with players and NFL). We were in no rush trade him so why not search out the best deal ? Also the timing is questionable with the Ben charges/ no chnarges announced today. This will look like we have sets of rules only for certain players... and not star QB's.

Steelers are getting blasted by their fans most message boards for this.... and I think its just until the full story comes out (if there is one).

We are still OK with Ward, Wallace and Randel El, but maybe we will draft a WR now - who knows...... not a good morning, but at least this afternoon the DA is expected to not file charges versus Big Ben, but will see at 2pm !!

BlastFurnace
04-12-2010, 10:55 AM
It doesn't surprise me at all. If all Boldin got was a 3rd and a 4th, then what did we expect for our Pot Smoking wideout that is going to be suspended.

Thanks for the Catch Santonio, but that's about it. You have more God given ability than most at your position and all you can think about is yourself. No-Thanks for being a selfish pig and not learning how to control your off the field behavior.

Steel_12
04-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Heard about it on the drive to work this morning and nearly drove my car off the road..... Dude had issues .....but was a playmaker specially in big games and was hitting his prime and all they could get was a fifth for him ? Something else is going on but not sure what .. Holmes failed another drug test, or missed it....and will be suspended 4 game next year ?

Still I am pissed as our offense just took a huge unexpected hit IMO.... and a step back. I mean he is a FA at end of then year so let him play and take another run at the superbowl, and then choose not to resign him. If he signs elsewhere they would receive a comp pick anyhow likely better than a fifth. (depending on what type of agreement is reached with players and NFL). We were in no rush trade him so why not search out the best deal ? Also the timing is questionable with the Ben charges/ no chnarges announced today. This will look like we have sets of rules only for certain players... and not star QB's.

Steelers are getting blasted by their fans most message boards for this.... and I think its just until the full story comes out (if there is one).

We are still OK with Ward, Wallace and Randel El, but maybe we will draft a WR now - who knows...... not a good morning, but at least this afternoon the DA is expected to not file charges versus Big Ben, but will see at 2pm !!

I agree!

dezignpro04
04-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the Catch Santonio, but that's about it. You have more God given ability than most at your position and all you can think about is yourself. No-Thanks for being a selfish pig and not learning how to control your off the field behavior.

My laments exactly. Very well said.

Shoes
04-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Steelers "called everyone" regarding Santonio trade
Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2010 10:25 AM ET
The biggest question in the wake of the abrupt decision by the Steelers to trade receiver Santonio Holmes is whether the Jets were the only team in the mix.

They weren't.

Per a league source, the Steelers "called everyone" regarding the possibility of trading for Holmes. (The source then acknowledged that the Ravens likely weren't called, and possibly not the Browns or the Bengals. The Eagles don't see a potential problem with calling any of those three teams.)

The process began, we're told, on Friday and accelerated over the weekend. And no one else was seriously interested.

Still, as pointed out in a coming edition of PFT Daily, the Steelers should have shipped him to the NFC, even if it meant only taking a sixth-round pick or a seventh-round pick.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/12/steelers-called-everyone-regarding-santonio-trade/

SteelMember
04-12-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm sure all of SteelerNation hopes so as well.

Ben is still young and dumb and will still have to learn life's lessons on his own, but a move like this and the stern "talking to" he receives from Goodell and I'm sure from Art II and hopefully Dan will steer him in the right direction once and for all.

It's the 3rd part of that saying that keeps geting him into trouble.

apparently he needs some better coaching in that game too. :couch:

ok. so he is one strike away from pulling a ricky williams.

I guess something (5th) is better than nothing (cut).

steelpride12
04-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Am I the only one not stunned? This team has been about having a good reputation and they won't stand for all the mistakes Holmes has been making. Yes he was a great play maker and the catch will never be forgotten, but he was not worth the big pay he wanted and the team will be fine without him.

Edman
04-12-2010, 11:04 AM

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=114

The Seahawk board is that way. Go there and cry with the other Super Bowl losers, because we're not putting up with it here.

Fire Haley
So why now? What was the rush? trade him on draft day to package a pick and move up.

I'm afraid Florio was right on this one - Holmes was made the scapegoat for Ben's problems.

"Yeah - listen up! Our QB is sacred, but anybody else screw up and you're gone!" - - what kind of a message is that?

SteelMember
...And when did everyone start "fearing" the jets, anyway?

J......E.....T.....S..... suc, suc, suc. :chuckle:

Prok
04-12-2010, 11:07 AM
What's half way cool for me is I have a few Jets fans friends so i wish him well in NY.

After the smoke settles our Steelers will STILL be the Steelers and make good moves for us. We WILL compete for SB's.

So i wish Santonio well in NY, i just wish we could have gotten more for him. But the Jets gave a 5th for a 12 game rental player unless they can get him signed long-term, which can't be good for their cap when it's all said and done.

Good luck Santonio and thank you 4 some GREAT catches. Especially all the catches that killed the ratbirds.

I betcha the Pats will struggle trying to cover Jets WR's twice a year now which is also a bonus. lol

Stu Pidasso
04-12-2010, 11:10 AM

Wait.... Tone played in SB XL? :)

SteelerEmpire
04-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Hope the Steelers know what their doing... Randel El said he was going to be the #3 receiver...didn't he...

klick81
04-12-2010, 11:11 AM
worst steelers draft gaffe of the decade.

I wouldn't go that far, seeing as how Holmes was a crucial part of obtaining #6. That alone makes his time here well worth the pick.

Now, you wanna talk about knee-jerk reactions? I think this is very much one.

tube517
04-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Leave it to Bouchette's editing skills :chuckle:

Wait.... Tone played in SB XL? :)

dezignpro04
04-12-2010, 11:14 AM
...And when did everyone start "fearing" the jets, anyway?

J......E.....T.....S..... suc, suc, suc. :chuckle:

Thank you. I thought I was the only person on here who thought that 9-7 team should not have been in the playoffs. Indy didnt do their job and they slid in. No one is scarred of the Jets....

tube517
04-12-2010, 11:16 AM
Agreed. He was about to be cut anyways. A 5th rounder is better than nothing. And the 4 game suspension has been confirmed by NFL.com

Am I the only one not stunned? This team has been about having a good reputation and they won't stand for all the mistakes Holmes has been making. Yes he was a great play maker and the catch will never be forgotten, but he was not worth the big pay he wanted and the team will be fine without him.

BlastFurnace
04-12-2010, 11:20 AM

No, you're not. Although I loved Santonio as a player, he is a "me first" type of guy who obviously is more concerned about himself off the field as well.

He's gone now. It's time to move on. He's someone else's headache now.

Believe43
04-12-2010, 11:27 AM
As I see it New York Jets do not have a 5th round pick in 2010 it was traded to Cleveland.

Shoes
04-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Jeff Reed will sign his franchise tender soon.....:chuckle:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/12/jeff-reed-will-be-signing-his-franchise-tender-soon/

PalmerSteel
04-12-2010, 11:34 AM
i was stunned when i first heard the news this morning. and pissed we only got a 5th rounder. after letting it sink in for a few hours, i commend the front office greatly and dealing with a problem now. i am sure they tried but just couldnt get anyone to bite for a higher draft pick since the suspension and assault problems are coming. maybe someday santonio will stay away from the mary jane, but not on our watch!!!!!!!

SteelMember
04-12-2010, 11:37 AM
As I see it New York Jets do not have a 5th round pick in 2010 it was traded to Cleveland.

It would be the 5th rd #24 (#155 overall) they aquired from the eagles.

steelpride12
04-12-2010, 11:37 AM
A 5th rounder is better than nothing. After this season he would have been gone because he wants the big payday this team would not have given him so at least we got something! Also yes a 4 game suspension this season he would have been a waste of a roster spot.

GodfatherofSoul
04-12-2010, 11:40 AM
This organization has a great sense of when to shed expensive, problem players. I'm guessing that there's a little more going on that we know about, and it doesn't have a thing to do with Ben.

Steel_12
04-12-2010, 11:40 AM
A 5th rounder is better than nothing. After this season he would have been gone because he wants the big payday this team would not have given him so at least we got something! Also yes a 4 game suspension this season he would have been a waste of a roster spot.

Waste of a roster spot for a top tier WR? OMG...ya'll are killing me! lol

zulater
04-12-2010, 11:42 AM
i was stunned when i first heard the news this morning. and pissed we only got a 5th rounder. after letting it sink in for a few hours, i commend the front office greatly and dealing with a problem now. i am sure they tried but just couldnt get anyone to bite for a higher draft pick since the suspension and assault problems are coming. maybe someday santonio will stay away from the mary jane, but not on our watch!!!!!!!

I don't think the assualt case if going anywhere, and i don't even think that factored into the Steelers decision.

This is all about the failed ( or missed) drug test and the twitters imo. When Stonio had his incident with the blunt in his ashtray in 2008 Tomlin took him into his office and had a heart to heart with him.If you remember early this last season when Holmes had some critical drops that cost the Steelers dearly Tomlin had Santonio's back. Wouldn't say or hear a word against him.

In other words Holmes violated Tomlin's trust, the bond was broke. There's no turning back from that.

Prok
04-12-2010, 11:43 AM

I've had Jets fans in the past lead me to believe he wasn't even a good #3 WR. LOL

dezignpro04
04-12-2010, 11:44 AM

If it makes you feel any better he is going to a team with 2 maybe 3 other B+\A receivers. I want to see how they are going to share the yards this season with their acquisition of Holmes.

Doesn't matter since they still have Mark Sanchez. Sanchez couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. :chuckle:

Steel_12
04-12-2010, 11:45 AM
I've had Jets fans in the past lead me to believe he wasn't even a good #3 WR. LOL

I just wish people would stop making it seem as if Holmes was expendible. We lost the best WR on the team and people are saying "oh well"...seriously?

fansince'76
04-12-2010, 11:46 AM

Yep, seems most opposing fans were always saying he sucked until we traded him.

Steel_12
04-12-2010, 11:47 AM
If it makes you feel any better he is going to a team with 2 maybe 3 other B+\A receivers. I want to see how they are going to share the yards this season with their acquisition of Holmes.

Doesn't matter since they still have Mark Sanchez. Sanchez couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. :chuckle:

lol...Sanchez does suck right now but he has WRs to make him a bit better. The Jets have more talent than we do right now so I wouldn't laughing too hard.

BlastFurnace
04-12-2010, 11:49 AM
I just wish people would stop making it seem as if Holmes was expendible. We lost the best WR on the team and people are saying "oh well"...seriously?

His talent wasn't expendable that is for sure.

Unfortunately for Santonio, you have to obey laws and follow rules....you know...be a decent citizen. Santonio isn't that kind of person.

zulater
04-12-2010, 11:50 AM

Wallace might be better over the long haul though? :noidea:

Regardless Holmes forced the Steelers hand. He violated the trust that Tomlin had placed in him when he flunked( or missed) his latest drug test.

Prok
04-12-2010, 11:52 AM

Agreed. But ya gotta understand that we ARE the Steelers. We're a sound organization. I'm thinking our FO and CS is pretty sure Wallace is the future for us. Ya gotta admit the guy has a ton of upside.

Fire Haley
04-12-2010, 11:52 AM
The real question now is...

Dez Bryant

http://images.athlonsports.com/d/13073-1/DezBryant1.jpg

or Golden Tate?

http://www.blueworkhorse.com/images/stories/slideshow/golden-tate-heisman.jpg

One or the other - there are no other choices - make your pick.

Nadroj 20
04-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Well guys im just now able to get to a computer after hearing about this this morning.

What the hell?

Why in the world did we only get a 5th round pick for him!

IDK about you guys but I want them to go get marshall now.

Rush58
04-12-2010, 11:55 AM

Dez Bryant

or Golden Tate?

we have to go wide receiver now or we are just slightly better than 8-8 or 9-7. ben is going to struggle big time without another addition.

Steel_12
04-12-2010, 11:56 AM
His talent wasn't expendable that is for sure.

Unfortunately for Santonio, you have to obey laws and follow rules....you know...be a decent citizen. Santonio isn't that kind of person.

Jeff Reed...Big Ben...both have had multiple off the field issues. Yeah I know Reed and Ben are on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as team importance but why should it matter? I've heard plenty of stories of Ben and Reed not being decent citizens. A lot of people are looking at the Steelers as showing favoritism...I can't blame them either.

zulater
04-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Steelers upset with his "off field" issues. Does this mean "Big Rappist" Ben is on the way out too or is it just the Black guys who have to be good off field!!

Holmes Threw Glass; Ben Stole A$$ !!!

I'm Just Sayin!!!

First off, you're a troll, no reason to mince the truth.

Second whatever happened in Orlando has little or nothing to do with this trade. Santonio was called on the carpet by his coach in 08 for a drug related incident. The coach thought he had an understanding with him. The trust was violated the moment Holmes failed his drug test. And therin lies the reason he's gone.

:coffee:

Bye troll. :wave:

zulater
04-12-2010, 11:57 AM

Dez Bryant

or Golden Tate?

The answer lies in my avater. :chuckle:

Steel_12
04-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Agreed. But ya gotta understand that we ARE the Steelers. We're a sound organization. I'm thinking our FO and CS is pretty sure Wallace is the future for us. Ya gotta admit the guy has a ton of upside.

I hear you Prok...but again, how does what you said exclude Jeff Reed and Big Ben?

fansince'76
04-12-2010, 11:58 AM
First off, you're a troll, no reason to mince the truth.

Second whatever happened in Orlando has little or nothing to do with this trade. Santonio was called on the carpet by his coach in 08 for a drug related incident. The coach thought he had an understanding with him. The trust was violated the moment Holmes failed his drug test. And therin lies the reason he's gone.

:coffee:

Bye troll. :wave:

What the hell is a "rappist?" Is that a conjunction of rapper/artist? :noidea:

Nadroj 20
04-12-2010, 11:59 AM

Dez Bryant

or Golden Tate?

Between those 2 i think Bryant is the better more versatile athletic (insert any other good description HERE) player.

Golden Tate is really good though and may fit our system better.

But id choose Dez.

Vincent
Artie called me this morning and said a 5th was all they could bet for him. Damaged goods.

Steel_12
Wallace might be better over the long haul though? :noidea:

Regardless Holmes forced the Steelers hand. He violated the trust that Tomlin had placed in him when he flunked( or missed) his latest drug test.

I agree Wallace will be a beast but we thought Nate to be a beast also. Our #3 WR always have nice seasons....even back to when ARE was there the first time.

Vincent
04-12-2010, 12:01 PM
What the hell is a "rappist?"

Its a stage on the path to becoming an ash murderer, just after cereal killer.

memphissteelergirl
04-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Well guys im just now able to get to a computer after hearing about this this morning.

What the hell?

Brandon Marshall? Seriously?? :doh:

zulater
04-12-2010, 12:03 PM
I agree Wallace will be a beast but we thought Nate to be a beast also. Our #3 WR always have nice seasons....even back to when ARE was there the first time.

You really thought Nate was a "beast"? Hell I thought he was a great story, coming from Tiffin college and all, good guy too ( met him, nicest kid you could find) but I never saw star quality in him. I thought he was a good player, but never anything special.

Wallace i think has star potential written all over him. But that's premature I suppose, but at least now we'll get a chance to find out.

Prok
04-12-2010, 12:03 PM
I hear you Prok...but again, how does what you said exclude Jeff Reed and Big Ben?

I know. Wondering that myself. Everyone is gonna have their own opinion and some are sure to paint Santonio as the scapegoat for all the players off-field crap.

We gotta stay the course and see what comes out of GA today as well.

Gotta say these are VERY strange times to be a Steelers fan.

tube517
04-12-2010, 12:05 PM
:rofl:

What the hell is a "rappist?" Is that a conjunction of rapper/artist? :noidea:

Nadroj 20
Brandon Marshall? Seriously?? :doh:

Cant knock his skills, hes tough and ive heard the steelers are at least interested.

I understand the problems he can cause but holmes had problems too. I dont see anyone on this board being furious if we did get him (when i say furious i mean absolutely can not stand the fact we got him), some might not like it however his production on the field is of more importance to me.

dezignpro04

What the hell?

If you read the last 37 pages, i think you will change. Everyone is coming to grips with he decision after some reasonable forum support.

Shoes
04-12-2010, 12:06 PM
we have to go wide receiver now or we are just slightly better than 8-8 or 9-7. ben is going to struggle big time without another addition.

When we had the toughest schedule in the NFL many said we would win 8-10 games.... but we won the SB. Last year many thought we would run the table (remember we had 20 of the 22 starting roster returning ) and we didn't make the playoffs. Besides...we are going to run the ball more... lol

Steel_12
04-12-2010, 12:07 PM
You really thought Nate was a "beast"? Hell I thought he was a great story, coming from Tiffin college and all, good guy too ( met him, nicest kid you could find) but I never saw star quality in him. I thought he was a good player, but never anything special.

Wallace i think has star potential written all over him. But that's premature I suppose, but at least now we'll get a chance to find out.

Nate has great potential that's why Tennessee spent a lot of money on him. I'm saying that Wallace has that same potential. Nate put up some nice numbers for us too.

fansince'76
04-12-2010, 12:11 PM
I dont see anyone on this board being furious if we did get him (when i say furious i mean absolutely can not stand the fact we got him), some might not like it however his production on the field is of more importance to me.

I would be. Living in Broncos country, I've had a front row seat for the assclownery that Marshall displays on an almost daily basis. Practically every day this past season there was a new drama in the local news about that dude. I'll pass.

BlastFurnace
04-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Jeff Reed...Big Ben...both have had multiple off the field issues. Yeah I know Reed and Ben are on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as team importance but why should it matter? I've heard plenty of stories of Ben and Reed not being decent citizens. A lot of people are looking at the Steelers as showing favoritism...I can't blame them either.

That's the way life is....Jimmy Johnson, when he coached the Cowboys, acknowledged that some players get away with more stuff becuase of their status on the team.

The Steelers have one Pro Bowl QB, ROLB, and a really good Kicker. None of which were expendable...because we have no-one to take their place. Therefore, they stayed on the team.

The guys they have gotten rid of that were problem children: Brentson Buckner, Santonio Holmes, Barry Foster, Cedric Wilson, and probably others that I am forgetting...the Steelers had or have someone who can easily take their place.

If Ben goes plowing through another Hotel Worker or Coed in the near future....he may meet the same fate. Hopefully, he won't.

Prok
04-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Also i think some ppl need to realize Steelers are STILL pretty good at WR. Most teams would kill for our depth.

Our only problem is replacing the older guys like Ward and El the next couple years.

With Heath Miller in the reciving mix we still only have one ball to throw.

steelerdude15
04-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Theres no need to draft another WR. The Steelers are still pretty stacked when it comes to that position. Ward, Wallace, ARE, and Battle... we're fine.

dezignpro04
04-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Also i think some ppl need to realize Steelers are STILL pretty good at WR. Most teams would kill for our depth.

Our only problem is replacing the older guys like Ward and El the next couple years.

Heath Miller is a stud! I freaking love that guy. On third and eight that guys gloves are always full of sticky tar!

Fire Haley
04-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Between those 2 i think Bryant is the better more versatile athletic (insert any other good description HERE) player.

Golden Tate is really good though and may fit our system better.

But id choose Dez.

Ben does like the tall receivers

I knew I shoulda made this a poll.

truesteelerfan
04-12-2010, 12:19 PM
I think this trade was a BIG mistake! And to the JETS who were in the AFC Title game last year??? Even if he was suspended for 4 games....His stats would still be better than anyone who we get for a 5th round pick! I don't often feel this strongly about a move the FO makes...but this one makes me mad

SteelCityMom
04-12-2010, 12:23 PM

Well, they kind of did before they got rid of Holmes...they picked up ARE.

And wait, weren't they 9-7 last year WITH Holmes??? Now you're saying they're only slightly better than 9-7? Wouldn't that mean that you're predicting they'll be better w/o Holmes than they were last year w/ Holmes. Just sayin'.

ajscratch71
04-12-2010, 12:28 PM
I think it's funny how people don't think Ben has character issues.

I'm with you.

I understand the franchise QB getting a longer rope but as others have said, "no one person is bigger than the organization." If Santonio was traded for his transgressions then BB should get traded too.

It's obvious that Ben has character issues and makes stupid decisions also. Yet, we have people on this board who are defending and excusing Ben's actions as just being a heterosexual. Really?? I guess we can excuse Santonio's penchant for weed as just "enjoying the Earth." Why the double standard?

This seems like more of a business move than a "message." The guys who the FO truly feel are expendable will get dealt away, period. BB is NOT expendable, therefore, he is still on the team.

truesteelerfan
04-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Breaking news on ESPN...

Holmes suspended for 4 games for substance abuse....

Still not a good move IMO to trade him......:banging:

dezignpro04
04-12-2010, 12:31 PM
I think this trade was a BIG mistake! And to the JETS who were in the AFC Title game last year??? Even if he was suspended for 4 games....His stats would still be better than anyone who we get for a 5th round pick! I don't often feel this strongly about a move the FO makes...but this one makes me mad

Are you really worried about a team that made it into the playoffs because the opposing teamed rolled over and LET them win. They should have not even been in the playoffs. No one is worried or scared of the Jets.

They suck. Have as much talent as you want on the field but if you cant get them a ball it does no good. They were not a legitimate AFC title game team last year. Now they have 2 potential drama queens that will be complaining like TO for not getting the ball. Even Romo cant get his team to the big dance - you think Sanchez can?

steelreserve
04-12-2010, 12:32 PM
And wait, weren't they 9-7 last year WITH Holmes??? Now you're saying they're only slightly better than 9-7? Wouldn't that mean that you're predicting they'll be better w/o Holmes than they were last year w/ Holmes. Just sayin'.

In terms of winning football games, I'd be amazed if we aren't better this year. Last season we had a team that could've easily been 14-2 if not for the fact that we had a few key injuries and then shot ourselves in the foot over and over and over and over and over. I have rarely seen a team self-destruct like that since ... well, since the 2006 Steelers.

Rick5895
04-12-2010, 12:34 PM
I think a lot of folks are over reacting to this trade. We have depth at WR. Holes is an exceptional WR but is he worth the nonsense he brings with him, NO. I have read people want to trade for Marshall, draft Bryant, or sign T.O. That IS over reacting, we have depth, can pick up some solid players at wr if ned be in the 3rd or 4th,
ESPN ans SI are reporting that Santo might well have just been rleased by the Steelers, so we get a 5th, which I am sure our gys know what they are doing. Remember it is a 3 day draft this season with a day between round 1 and round 2/3. My bet is a trade up for an additional 2nd or 3rd.
STay tuned.

Fire Haley
04-12-2010, 12:34 PM
I
We gotta stay the course and see what comes out of GA today .

almost time

Ben-a-Palooza!

http://cdn.photos.tmz.com/gallery_images/images/2010/03/big_ben_TMZ_4_full.jpg

Steel_12
04-12-2010, 12:35 PM

But that depth takes a big hit when you lose your best WR.

dezignpro04
04-12-2010, 12:38 PM
almost time

Ben-a-Palooza!

Those girls are hot. They look better than the alleged 1st girl he "raped". . . . .

Oh wait, just noticed their faces were blur'd out... :noidea:

LOL

stillers4me
04-12-2010, 12:39 PM
It's the hypocrisy of the whole that burns me up. Why do the rest of the fanbase of the NFL think it's wrong for us to have a "turd" like Santonio on our team but it's now a great thing that somebody else has him?? They couldn't care less about "integrity"...it's all about hoping the Steelers can't win games.

Shoes
04-12-2010, 12:40 PM
almost time

Ben-a-Palooza!

Bng_Hevn
04-12-2010, 12:41 PM
If the 5th rounder is so low, then why not send a "real" message and simply release him?

Hines0wnz
04-12-2010, 12:47 PM
I hope Hines still has some good tread left on him. He, Heath and the emerging Mike Wallace are going to have to play huge this season.

Steely McSmash
04-12-2010, 12:48 PM
But that was the case even before we traded for a 5th round pick. Santonio would have been replaced next year instead of this year anyway, and we wouldn't have gotten squat for him.

Actually you'd probably get a 3rd-5th comp pick for him depending on other FA moves.

Dino 6 Rings
04-12-2010, 12:49 PM
If the 5th rounder is so low, then why not send a "real" message and simply release him?

Word I just heard was they were going to release him if they couldn't find anyone willing to take him for that mediocre pick.

Prok
04-12-2010, 12:50 PM
But that depth takes a big hit when you lose your best WR.

Look at it this way. It gives Mike Wallace more catches and deep shots. The kids got some serious upside imo.

Hammer67
04-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Good riddance....I heard he was a cancer in the locker room anyway. I bet James Harrison was referring to him last year when he said that some players might have been a little selfish last year instead of playing as a team.

With all the crap they were dealing with, they had to make an example out of someone. And, let's not OVER REACT people, a receiver touches the football an average of FOUR times a game. Someone else can step up.

And, ignore what fans of other teams think. They have no idea how the Steelers do business. If you want a criminal on your team, so what? Even if it hurts PIT this year, they will have improved the atmosphere in the locker room and sent a message to other players on the team. You think a marginal player who has these tendancies will think twice now that they see what the Org would do to the #1 guy?

Steely McSmash
04-12-2010, 12:56 PM
DAMN TWITTER! I honestly believe that if Holmes was not so stupid as to post that stuff on his twitter account, he may still be a Steeler, or at the very least we would have gotten better that a 5th for him.

The Steelers should start putting into future contracts that players are not allowed to participate in social networking while they are an employee of the organization. Name me one time anything positive has ever come from twitter, facebook, etc...when it comes to a professional athlete.

:applaudit:+1

Set-Man
04-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Thank God we have Wallace.
We need to groom another since we can't run the ball

WH
04-12-2010, 01:10 PM
After the smoke settles our Steelers will STILL be the Steelers and make good moves for us. We WILL compete for SB's.

I think the smoke settled last night.

see what I did there?

Sharkissle29
04-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Look at it this way. It gives Mike Wallace more catches and deep shots. The kids got some serious upside imo.

I agree, although we still dont really know how good Wallace is after the catch, as most of his catches are already past the seconday.

i'd like to see what wallace can do in the open field after a catch.

wad421
04-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Good riddance....I heard he was a cancer in the locker room anyway. I bet James Harrison was referring to him last year when he said that some players might have been a little selfish last year instead of playing as a team.

With all the crap they were dealing with, they had to make an example out of someone. And, let's not OVER REACT people, a receiver touches the football an average of FOUR times a game. Someone else can step up.

And, ignore what fans of other teams think. They have no idea how the Steelers do business. If you want a criminal on your team, so what? Even if it hurts PIT this year, they will have improved the atmosphere in the locker room and sent a message to other players on the team. You think a marginal player who has these tendancies will think twice now that they see what the Org would do to the #1 guy?

Spot on... absolutely Spot on...........

cardsfanmd
04-12-2010, 01:18 PM
You are in the wrong forum...

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/mikesousa05/Funny%20Forum%20Stuff/cardinals2.jpg

Here you go - http://forums.azcardinals.com/index.php

I'm not sure what Cardinal team your talking about but that isn't my Cardinals' logo.

WH
04-12-2010, 01:20 PM
http://www.wxdx.com/cc-common/mlib/2094/04/2094_1271092034.jpg

10 ''Are you thinking what I'm thinking, Ben?''
7 ''Yes, Santonio, but how are we going to hollow out the inside to fit all the Patron?''

Prok
04-12-2010, 01:28 PM
I agree, although we still dont really know how good Wallace is after the catch, as most of his catches are already past the seconday.

i'd like to see what wallace can do in the open field after a catch.

Shit i'd be happy if he caught all deep passes for scores. Trust me that scares the crap out of opposing DC's. lol

Holmes was great for us but Ben is the guy we need to get straightened out imo. He'll make ANY of our WR's better just by being on the field with them.

Edman
04-12-2010, 01:50 PM
It's said on ESPN that Holmes will DEFINITELY be suspended. So he's good for 12 games at the most in 2010. On top of that, he's due a contract next year, and he wants big bucks.

All of the sudden, the Jets don't look like geniuses anymore. What we got in return still sucks, though.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-12-2010, 01:58 PM
Ok Steeler fans, take a deep breath and come down off the ledge to face some reality.

While WR is a glamour position in the NFL, its the easiest to replace, other than maybe OG or FB. So many things have to happen before a WR gets his hands on the football and the fact that the Steelers have experienced and productive NFL players under contract, Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle El, Mike Wallace, Arnaz Battle........its no big deal.

Yes, Holmes is a talent, but he is also a pot smoking, glass throwing, alleged spouse abusing WR who apparently was gonna want more $$ than the Steelers were gonna shell out. So he isnt here for 12 games....no big deal. Thanks for the memories.

bozz723
04-12-2010, 02:05 PM
"A guy who smokes weed is a druggie?"

Yes. He couldn't stay off the weed - while earning millions and being on the best-storied team - when he knew it could be detrimental to the team. Flunking the pee test is what got him the 4-game suspension. If he can't stay off it for that, he's a druggie.

I don't want to get into a whole weed argument, but obviously weed is not an issue at all and should never be suspendable in the first place. It is an absolute joke and 95% of NFL players smoke weed 100% guaranteed. Anyone who takes medication for whatever made up ailment someone has is more of a druggie than Santonio Holmes.

Don DeVore
04-12-2010, 02:05 PM
and you guys thought my post was impossible to happen...a fifth round pick?...omg...atleast with my proposed trade we got some value back.

steelerdave1969
04-12-2010, 02:11 PM
:doh:When I got the text last night around 11 pm I thought something was wrong with my mom or mother n law, so I got up to check my phone and I thought I would never be able to go back to sleep. The first text I got said the Trade had happened and the first thing I thought they might have gotten a 2nd or 3rd round pick... then about 5 minutes later another Text came throough and said it was a 5th Rounder . . . . :banging: . . . . I just dont understand still to this minute why or how they could just let him go for a 5th Rounder. . . But then again now that I hear that they were gonna Release him anyways, I guess they did ok.

SteelCityMom
04-12-2010, 02:16 PM
and you guys thought my post was impossible to happen...a fifth round pick?...omg...atleast with my proposed trade we got some value back.

Uhhhh, you're "proposed fantasy trade" had nothing to do with Holmes.

And the Steelers did get something back...a 5th round pick for a problem player that was going to play 12 games and be gone at the end of the season. What do you expect to get for that?

CaliStillersFan
04-12-2010, 02:26 PM
I've been thinking about this all morning and I'm willing to give the Rooney's the benefit of the doubt. I remember all the Giants fans saying how they were so grateful when they got Plaxico, and look where he is now. They always know more than we do. I do think that they could have gotten more, but we have 11 picks in this draft, and should be able to make some moves, hopefully the Steelers capitalize. I just wish we would have gotten Leon Washington instead of another 5th round pick. After seeing everything that has come out so far this morning, I'm going to stick with, "In Rooney's We Trust".

AllD
04-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Holmes really stepped into a big pile this time. If he follows the road Plax took, he has nobody to blame but himself.

Good luck Tone, get your head on straight before you shoot yourself in the foot, metaphorically speaking.

Indo
04-12-2010, 02:32 PM
I don't want to get into a whole weed argument, but obviously weed is not an issue at all and should never be suspendable in the first place. It is an absolute joke and 95% of NFL players smoke weed 100% guaranteed. Anyone who takes medication for whatever made up ailment someone has is more of a druggie than Santonio Holmes.

Dude,
(can I call you "Dude", since you are likely one of those "Legalize It" dudes...)

Like it or not, THC IS a drug and it IS Illegal. Period.
It does not matter how many people (95% in the NFL, you say) smoke it. They are all (if that number is accurate, and I doubt it since you likely pulled it out of your a$$) breaking the LAW. It absolutely should be a suspendable offense. Football players who get caught smoking weed are getting a SLAP ON THE HAND when they are suspended because the "average citizen" (non-celebrity football player) would get THROWN IN JAIL for a similar offense.

And, as I said before, he was already told by the team and the NFL to stop and he didn't. Whether he didn't want to stop or he simply couldn't stop is beside the point. He didn't stop---he has a problem; whether it is an attitude problem where he thinks the rules don't apply to him, or a REAL problem with needing to be high often...

Grow up

SteelCityMom
04-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Dude,
(can I call you "Dude", since you are likely one of those "Legalize It" dudes...)

Like it or not, THC IS a drug and it IS Illegal. Period.
It does not matter how many people (95% in the NFL, you say) smoke it. They are all (if that number is accurate, and I doubt it since you likely pulled it out of your a$$) breaking the LAW. It absolutely should be a suspendable offense. Football players who get caught smoking weed are getting a SLAP ON THE HAND when they are suspended because the "average citizen" (non-celebrity football player) would get THROWN IN JAIL for a similar offense.

And, as I said before, he was already told by the team and the NFL to stop and he didn't. Whether he didn't want to stop or he simply couldn't stop is beside the point. He didn't stop---he has a problem; whether it is an attitude problem where he thinks the rules don't apply to him, or a REAL problem with needing to be high often...

Grow up

Agreed. And I'm one of those "legalize it" dudettes, but until it is legal he's got to follow the rules.

Hell, I quit smoking weed for a slightly better than minimum wage job...and this dude can't quit for millions of dollars? Come on...it's not like he's a crack addict or anything (that I know of)...put the blunt down for a few years lol.

SteelerFanInStl
04-12-2010, 02:38 PM

Dez Bryant

or Golden Tate?

And why exactly are these the only choices? Why would we even consider Dez Bryant when he's got as much baggage as Holmes? Even with Holmes gone, I don't see a reason to go WR until at least the 3rd round.

CaliStillersFan
04-12-2010, 02:45 PM
I wish the players would just negotiate dropping THC from the tested substances list when they redo the new CBA. Over 25% of the states in this country have medical marijuana laws (too bad PA isn't one of them), and I'd rather see players smoke pot for chronic pain from playing football than addicted to an opiate based pain med which is much more harmful. We here in Cali will hopefully be the 1st state to fully legalize pot this November, once that happens it will only be a matter of time before the Fed makes this a non issue forever.

Why do we never hear about an NBA getting suspended for smoking pot? Because they don't test their players for it.

Steel_12
04-12-2010, 02:51 PM

But he only got those looks because Santonio commands attention.

pancake
04-12-2010, 03:11 PM
We don't have a #1 WR on the team this year, but if we have enough weapons we can still make it work.

pancake
04-12-2010, 03:11 PM
I guess the FO was serious about running the ball more next season... :toofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Quit cryin Steeler fans. WR is the most overrated position in the NFL and we still have lots of good ones on the roster.

Peyton Manning can make Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon and Anthony Gonzales look good. Brady did similar to Dion Branch, David Givens and Troy Brown. Kurt Warner helped Az Hakim, Steve Breaston and Ricky Proel put up good stats too.

Ward, El, Wallace, Miller, Battle, Sweed are enough targets to throw at. Maybe add Marty Gilyard or Freddy Barnes later in the draft and it gets even better. Holmes was gonna go next year via Free Agency anyways.

Bring on the draft. See ya later Bongtonio Holmes.

Indo
04-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Bongtonio?
Now THAT'S funny!

:toofunny:

xbroughneck
04-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Quit cryin Steeler fans. WR is the most overrated position in the NFL and we still have lots of good ones on the roster.

Peyton Manning can make Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon and Anthony Gonzales look good. Brady did similar to Dion Branch, David Givens and Troy Brown. Kurt Warner helped Az Hakim, Steve Breaston and Ricky Proel put up good stats too.

Ward, El, Wallace, Miller, Battle, Sweed are enough targets to throw at. Maybe add Marty Gilyard or Freddy Barnes later in the draft and it gets even better. Holmes was gonna go next year via Free Agency anyways.

Bring on the draft. See ya later Bongtonio Holmes.

+1 Couldn't have said it better myself.

steelreserve
04-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Why do we never hear about an NBA getting suspended for smoking pot? Because they don't test their players for it.

They don't really have a choice in the NBA. It'd be pretty near impossible to run the league when 70% of the players were suspended at any given time, which is about what would happen if they tested for weed.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Couldnt we get more than a 5th round?

Galax Steeler
04-12-2010, 03:44 PM
We don't have a #1 WR on the team this year, but if we have enough weapons we can still make it work.

I am sure someone will step up and fill the no.1 roll this year. I still think Wallace will still get better this year and he could be the go to guy never know.

CaliStillersFan
04-12-2010, 03:47 PM
They don't really have a choice in the NBA. It'd be pretty near impossible to run the league when 70% of the players were suspended at any given time, which is about what would happen if they tested for weed.

and that is the exact reason the NFL should do it. If it a safer alternative to opiates so it only makes sense if the NFL so concerned with its imagine and wants to eliminate as much negative press as possible. How many stories a year would we not have to hear about? I'm all for whatever gets the sports writers in America to write more stories about sports and less about athletes personal lives. I want more stories about strategy, schemes, draft prospects and less about pot smoking, DUI's and drunken bathroom sex with college coeds. I'll read the National Enquirer if I cared about that crap.

Hines0wnz
04-12-2010, 03:54 PM

Hines Ward? Every D-coordinator in the league likes to know where he lines up on every offensive play. There is a reason why those certain down field blocks are now a 15 yd penalty. :thumbsup: :wink02:

Most of all...he mentors every WR in the locker room about how to play the game. He doesnt put up big numbers (never has) and his body may be wearing out from how hard he plays but I am willing to bet Ben wants to see #86 on the field in crunch time. #1 WRs are typically about themselves in the NFL but that is not Steeler football, never has been, never will be. With Holmes out, Randel-El back and Mike Wallace emerging as a star, the #1 WR on this team will be the guy who moves the chains on 3rd and long or catches the TD off a play-action pass. What I mean is....the team is #1 and anyone who doesnt follow suit is not cut out to wear the black and gold.

The Duke
04-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Quit cryin Steeler fans. WR is the most overrated position in the NFL

I couldn't agree more with this

Good Riddance Holmes!

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-12-2010, 05:03 PM

Good Riddance Holmes!

It's easier to believe this if Holmes would have become a Troy Edwards clone, but he didn't.

Sad to say, but we just GAVE AWAY a VERY, VERY GOOD football player, and his loss WILL be felt.

Yeah, we'll recover, but we also made the Jets a better team too...

I understand this trade, and I agree with it...But I also HATE it...

LVSteelersfan
04-12-2010, 05:07 PM
I was all for dumping Holmes last year. Now he will be in the big city and will probably not even be in the league in a year or two because there are a lot more bad influences in NY than in Pittsburgh. And those of you railing on Ben not getting treated the same as Holmes. Get real. Ben has not been charged with anything by anyone to this point except for a ticket for not wearing a helmet. Just because gold diggers are after his money does not put him in the same boat as pothead, wife beater, always seems to be in trouble Holmes. And I do agree with others on this board that POT IS ILLEGAL. PERIOD, END OF STORY. You can conjecture all day long that a lot of players smoke pot. So what. That does not make it any less illegal.

pete74
04-12-2010, 05:24 PM
i hate how its a 5th round pick. i hate even more how its the jets. the thing with it is, he's being made an example of. you make our team look bad, your doing wrong things, your ass gotta go. and they're showing big ben that they will move on without you in a heartbeat.

what? your the guy who bashed me a few weeks ago when i said this would happen. you told me there was no way the steelers would ever trade there top WR. you didnt think i was going to forget all that did you?
here was your post when i said we would not keep holmes

Originally Posted by +NuBbS+
i know this sounds bad but im enjoying all the people who say that were gonna get rid of Ben and Tone...lol just FYI they aren't going anywhere....so get over yourself... i wonder what would happen if we put some of the crazy people in the front office?? Maybe draft Tebow who is the angel child until someone turns him out..... then get Dez Bryant just because we can....and start from scratch....lol

WH
04-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Less one WR that causes issues on a shot in the dark at maybe finding that 5th round gold Offensive Lineman? I'll take it.

SteelersBry79
04-12-2010, 05:42 PM
It's easier to believe this if Holmes would have become a Troy Edwards clone, but he didn't.

Sad to say, but we just GAVE AWAY a VERY, VERY GOOD football player, and his loss WILL be felt.

Yeah, we'll recover, but we also made the Jets a better team too...

I understand this trade, and I agree with it...But I also HATE it...

This

Less one WR that causes issues on a shot in the dark at maybe finding that 5th round gold Offensive Lineman? I'll take it.

This too

tube517
04-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Sandoobio

Bongtonio?
Now THAT'S funny!

:toofunny:

plenewken
04-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Sandoobio

WR= Wild Reefer

86WARD
04-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Anyone who tries to justify and spin this as a good trade is frankly insane...there is nothing good about this trade. A 5th round pick folks...5th round picks are average to below average players on this team...IF they make the roster...lol.

Prok
04-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Anyone who tries to justify and spin this as a good trade is frankly insane...there is nothing good about this trade. A 5th round pick folks...5th round picks are average to below average players on this team...IF they make the roster...lol.

You make a good point. What are we gonna do though?

:noidea:

HanSteelers
04-12-2010, 06:50 PM

Good Riddance Holmes!

couldn't agree more.
much easier to fill this whole than a hole at RB. QB. TE. almost every single offensive position if not every

Holmes was a great player for us but this was definitely the right move for the Steelers
We won the super bowl without Plaxico the following season
We'll win the Super bowl without Santonio also this upcoming season
go steelers:tt04:

Psyychoward86
04-12-2010, 06:59 PM
I wouldnt be so pissed about this if we didnt get so little out of it. That 5th round pick we get better be a jewel.

BehindSteelCurtain
04-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Im hoping the FO has something planned........

That gives us (4)5th rounders....possibly use those.....Hell lets just trade up to get Rolando McClain.

Prok
04-12-2010, 07:08 PM

That gives us (4)5th rounders....possibly use those.....Hell lets just trade up to get Rolando McClain.

Hell yeah. I'd be ALL FOR that !!

:tt:

BehindSteelCurtain
04-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Hell yeah. I'd be ALL FOR that !!

:tt:

Thats what Im hoping is that they have a plan.....Im sure they knew that Steeler Nation would be shaking their heads after this one.

I think Golden Tate is a strong possiblity also...Assuming Bryant is gone, but I don't even know if the Steelers would draft Bryant because he has issues too. Plus his name is Golden.

BlastFurnace
04-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Santonio shocked at trade

Monday, April 12, 2010

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Santonio Holmes said today he was "shocked" to learn the Steelers had traded him to the New York Jets but is "ready to move forward to start a new career."

Holmes, speaking with reporters on a conference call late this afternoon, said Kevin Colbert, the Steelers director of football operations, informed him of the trade about 9 p.m. Sunday.

"I was very shocked," Holmes said. "But it opened a lot of doors and gives me a new chance to start over."

The NFL announced today that Holmes would be suspended for the first four games of the season after violating the league's substance abuse policy.

"Right now, I'm accountable for what happened," Holmes said, adding that "I don't think I have to dig out of any holes. These guys have opened up their arms to me."

Holmes had no parting shots for the Steelers.

"I'm definately going to leave with great memories. I had a tremendous time, spending four years," Holmes said. "Those guys still trust and believe in me. It's just unfortunate we had to part ways. It worked out better for the both of us."

New York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum, on the same conference call, acknowledged the Jets were taking a risk by acquiring Holmes but noted it only cost his team a fifth-round draft choice.

"Santonio's situation, obviously there have been some bumps in the roads in the past," Tannenbaum said. "Hopefully he has learned from that. We understand there are risks, significant risks but at the end of the day we felt the price was reasonable and the risk reasonable."

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10102/1049842-100.stm#ixzz0kvlicRfT

BlastFurnace
04-12-2010, 07:17 PM
Santonio shocked at trade

Monday, April 12, 2010

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Santonio Holmes said today he was "shocked" to learn the Steelers had traded him to the New York Jets but is "ready to move forward to start a new career."

Holmes, speaking with reporters on a conference call late this afternoon, said Kevin Colbert, the Steelers director of football operations, informed him of the trade about 9 p.m. Sunday.

"I was very shocked," Holmes said. "But it opened a lot of doors and gives me a new chance to start over."

The NFL announced today that Holmes would be suspended for the first four games of the season after violating the league's substance abuse policy.

"Right now, I'm accountable for what happened," Holmes said, adding that "I don't think I have to dig out of any holes. These guys have opened up their arms to me."

Holmes had no parting shots for the Steelers.

"I'm definately going to leave with great memories. I had a tremendous time, spending four years," Holmes said. "Those guys still trust and believe in me. It's just unfortunate we had to part ways. It worked out better for the both of us."

New York Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum, on the same conference call, acknowledged the Jets were taking a risk by acquiring Holmes but noted it only cost his team a fifth-round draft choice.

"Santonio's situation, obviously there have been some bumps in the roads in the past," Tannenbaum said. "Hopefully he has learned from that. We understand there are risks, significant risks but at the end of the day we felt the price was reasonable and the risk reasonable."

Read more: http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10102/1049842-100.stm#ixzz0kvlicRfT

If Santonio is shocked that he was let go...then he is dumber than I originally thought. Just another case of a clueless athlete.

pete74
04-12-2010, 07:17 PM
we will have tate next season to take holmes place. good riddence

AllD
04-12-2010, 07:19 PM
I guess this means Holmes will not be running for governor of Pennsylvania.

Psyychoward86
04-12-2010, 07:31 PM
we will have tate next season to take holmes place. good riddence

cool beans

pete74
04-12-2010, 07:34 PM
cool beans

if he is still there in the 2nd i bet you we trade up and land him. it kinda sucks because i wanted an offensive lineman or corner in the 2nd but now we have bigger needs. i think were going lineman in the 1st though so we can get back to running more

Psyychoward86
04-12-2010, 07:37 PM
if he is still there in the 2nd i bet you we trade up and land him. it kinda sucks because i wanted an offensive lineman or corner in the 2nd but now we have bigger needs. i think were going lineman in the 1st though so we can get back to running more

and boy, do we ever need to be able to run the ball now. I think a lot of people are really underrating the impact of Santonio's disappearance from our offense.

pancake
04-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Hines Ward? Every D-coordinator in the league likes to know where he lines up on every offensive play. There is a reason why those certain down field blocks are now a 15 yd penalty. :thumbsup: :wink02:

Most of all...he mentors every WR in the locker room about how to play the game. He doesnt put up big numbers (never has) and his body may be wearing out from how hard he plays but I am willing to bet Ben wants to see #86 on the field in crunch time. #1 WRs are typically about themselves in the NFL but that is not Steeler football, never has been, never will be. With Holmes out, Randel-El back and Mike Wallace emerging as a star, the #1 WR on this team will be the guy who moves the chains on 3rd and long or catches the TD off a play-action pass. What I mean is....the team is #1 and anyone who doesnt follow suit is not cut out to wear the black and gold.

The 34 year old Ward is no #1, but he will be a big part o our offense. I think FO hopes that Wallace can be, but I doubt he can be in year 2.

Psyychoward86
04-12-2010, 07:41 PM
The 34 year old Ward is no #1, but he will be a big part o our offense. I think FO hopes that Wallace can be, but I doubt he can be in year 2.

95 receptions, 1,167 yards, 6 TD's, 5 100 yard games. Nbd, Hines just cant do it anymore :rolleyes:

who do you think is our #1 right now? If you spit the words Wallace, ARE, Sweed, or Grisham out, we are in SERIOUS trouble

T&B fan
04-12-2010, 07:48 PM
If Santonio is shocked that he was let go...then he is dumber than I originally thought. Just another case of a clueless athlete.

yup you got it right .. I think I read he was wanting to play for a bigger market anyway , and the Steelers would not pay him what he was going to ask for next yr . but he must have burned one and forgot he said it .. ..

St33lersguy
04-12-2010, 07:58 PM
:doh: Why didn't the steelers ask for more? Why did they only settle for a pick that the steelers will end up using to take a guy they won't need who will probably not make the 53 man roster? They should have just kept him, they would gotten more out of that. FAIL

Kindjunior
04-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Cmon guys, its not like he shot himself in the leg in a busy club with an illegal firearm :rofl:

Lets face it, the Rooney's know a loser when they see one.

BUCKEYE4EVER
04-12-2010, 08:49 PM

+1 If your only going to get a 5th rd pick for tone. They would of got better than that with a compensary pick in the 2011 draft. More than likely they would of got a after the 3rd round pick. This is crazy now Sanchez has Edwards and Holmes for WR . I'm sorry but I can't see loading afc foes with talent. Without a doubt this trade could come back to bite us right square in the azz!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leftoverhard
04-12-2010, 08:54 PM
facepalm

Hammer67
04-12-2010, 09:01 PM
I think you guys are all overestimating the importance of the receiver position....
They only touch the ball, on average, four times a game!!!!

He will be replaced and not missed.

Nadroj 20
04-12-2010, 09:59 PM
95 receptions, 1,167 yards, 6 TD's, 5 100 yard games. Nbd, Hines just cant do it anymore :rolleyes:

who do you think is our #1 right now? If you spit the words Wallace, ARE, Sweed, or Grisham out, we are in SERIOUS trouble

At this point in his career ward is probably a #2 or slot guy...maybe give him the title as #1 but when it comes down do it wallace is our big play guy now.

BlastFurnace
04-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Holmes claims his Twitter account was hacked

Posted by Mike Florio on April 12, 2010 10:05 PM ET

We reconfigured various Monday afternoon radio spots in the hopes of being able to participate in the conference call conducted on Monday regarding the Jets' trade for receiver Santonio Holmes.

The call was supposed to start at 4:00 p.m. It didn't. When 4:20 p.m. ET rolled around, I needed to wake and bake. (I hope I'm finally using that term correctly.)

Eventually, the call occurred. During the discussion, Holmes was asked about a Twitter exchange from the day after news broke of a lawsuit filed against Holmes based on allegations that he threw a drink in a woman's face.

Holmes told a Twitter user that he "shud try finding the worst thing that you could drink n kill urself.

"It wasn't me," Holmes said, per Manish Mehta of the Newark Star-Ledger. "I never tried to defend myself on that topic among anyone on Twitter or among anyone that tried to ask me for interviews. . . . I would definitely be accountable for my actions if I did say it."

So why wouldn't he have defended himself? All he'd need to do is delete the tweet and post a new one explaining that his account had been accessed by something not authorized to use it.

Besides, Holmes has a "Verified Account." In other words, the stuff he says on it are regarded as his words. If he failed to secure his user name or password and someone else made that statement, Holmes is still responsible. At a minimum, he needs to offer an explanation more detailed than "it wasn't me."

At some point, Holmes has deleted the tweet. However, he has yet to remove the one in which he declares an intention to "wake n bake," or where he reminds the fans that "u don't cut my check."

But at least this story has a somewhat happy ending. On March 30, he pointed out that he loves the Jets.

Then again, maybe it wasn't him.

www.profootballtalk.com

Shea
04-12-2010, 11:31 PM
His twitter account was hacked ....... :toofunny:

Nice try Tone.

Psyychoward86
04-12-2010, 11:49 PM
At this point in his career ward is probably a #2 or slot guy...maybe give him the title as #1 but when it comes down do it wallace is our big play guy now.

We have no idea what Wallace can do for us as a starter right now. Last year, he was going up against all nickel corners, #3 and #4 cornerbacks on opposing teams. how many teams do you know with 3 or 4 good cornerbacks? The fact is that Wallace was being covered by crap defenders. He will have to step up huuuuge if you expect him to do anything like he did before. He wont be averaging 19.4 yards per catch, that's almost for sure. Hines is on his last legs soon, but his fruitful production is still very promising. If Wallace is our #1, were in deep poo.

WH
04-13-2010, 04:01 AM
His twitter account was hacked ....... :toofunny:

Nice try Tone.

You wrote down what popped in my brain.

The next time I post something on this message board that isn't liked, i'm going to say ''OH MY ACCOUNT WAS HAXXED!''

BritishSteel
04-13-2010, 04:55 AM
You go away for a few days, come back to find this happening!

I can understand the front office using him to make a point, but a 5th round pick? Seriously? To the Jets? We must really hate the Patsies!

Apparently it was the best deal available from ringing round - That said, if the best we could do was a late 2nd day pick, then might we not have been better off waiting to see how day one of the draft panned out - if the worst had come to the worst, we could still have taken the Jets offer during day 1 if nothing better had come along.

Maybe it was a one-time only deal.

SteelerFanInStl
04-13-2010, 09:05 AM
We have no idea what Wallace can do for us as a starter right now. Last year, he was going up against all nickel corners, #3 and #4 cornerbacks on opposing teams. how many teams do you know with 3 or 4 good cornerbacks? The fact is that Wallace was being covered by crap defenders. He will have to step up huuuuge if you expect him to do anything like he did before. He wont be averaging 19.4 yards per catch, that's almost for sure. Hines is on his last legs soon, but his fruitful production is still very promising. If Wallace is our #1, were in deep poo.

I have to agree. While I like Wallace a lot, he's unproven as anything more than a #3 WR.

whatdoiknow
04-13-2010, 10:00 AM
All I can say fellow steeler fans is when I first heard this, I wanted to come here and RANT! But I was so depressed. I still say that Kevin Colbert should be AXED!! I don't care if Holmes failed another drug test and was to be suspended for four games. The bottom line is it is maybe 1 out of 25,000 5th round picks will even make the team. And we give a SB MVP WR who is 26 for that ??? Stupid. Just plain stupid. I mean if we are healthy this year, we are right there for a chance at another SB title. But that is WITH Santonio. So what if he plays this year and we release him. That is better than not playing with him, and we get just a 5th rounder for him. To me, if the Steelers are gonna PREACH so much about good character OFF the field, and stron work ethic on it. Then in MY opinion, the steelers absolutely MUST Sign Terrell Owens, or they are flat out Hypocrites! Bottom line about TO is, as crazy as his antics are,,he WANTS to win. And he definitely works hard in practice, and has NEVER had a single off field Incident ever. And the Steelers will not, no chance at all be CLOSE to a playoff team without a PROVEN Vet WR. And Battle & El DON'T provide that at all.

But I still say Colbert should be fired. He is a true MORON!!

Steeldude
04-13-2010, 10:46 AM
owens is horrible.

holmes is a loss in terms of depth. they guy was pretty much average.

GodfatherofSoul
04-13-2010, 11:14 AM
owens is horrible.

He's a great receiver, but he never grew on me. Something always irked me about him, like the constant showboating after completions. We're going to be hurting unless someone like Sweed steps up, but I can't say I'm sad to see him go.

SteelCityMom
04-13-2010, 11:34 AM
All I can say fellow steeler fans is when I first heard this, I wanted to come here and RANT! But I was so depressed. I still say that Kevin Colbert should be AXED!! I don't care if Holmes failed another drug test and was to be suspended for four games. The bottom line is it is maybe 1 out of 25,000 5th round picks will even make the team. And we give a SB MVP WR who is 26 for that ??? Stupid. Just plain stupid. I mean if we are healthy this year, we are right there for a chance at another SB title. But that is WITH Santonio. So what if he plays this year and we release him. That is better than not playing with him, and we get just a 5th rounder for him. To me, if the Steelers are gonna PREACH so much about good character OFF the field, and stron work ethic on it. Then in MY opinion, the steelers absolutely MUST Sign Terrell Owens, or they are flat out Hypocrites! Bottom line about TO is, as crazy as his antics are,,he WANTS to win. And he definitely works hard in practice, and has NEVER had a single off field Incident ever. And the Steelers will not, no chance at all be CLOSE to a playoff team without a PROVEN Vet WR. And Battle & El DON'T provide that at all.

OMG you're delusional. Massive fail of a post.

P.S. Holmes was going to be cut...be glad they got something for him. And yes, ARE is in no way a proven veteran WR, I mean he's only won a SB with the Steelers.

Huge, massive fail.

whatdoiknow
04-13-2010, 11:45 AM
OMG you're delusional. Massive fail of a post.

P.S. Holmes was going to be cut...be glad they got something for him. And yes, ARE is in no way a proven veteran WR, I mean he's only won a SB with the Steelers.

Huge, massive fail.

Mom,,,How have I failed ? Look, just because Chris Mortenson says the steelers were going to just cut Holmes does not make it true, does it ? Plus, why would that matter ? I mean the Steelers knew they were not going to even offer Burress a new deal once his ran out, and they did not. But they didn't just give him away cause they knew that it would be better to keep him that final season, and try to win a super bowl. Rather than offer him up in his final year of his deal when every NFL GM knew we weren't going to re-sign him, so we chose to keep Plex that final season, rather than get a 5th for him. I mean seriously Mom, do you think IF we would have kept Holmes, and just let him walk that the " Comp " pick we would have gotten would have been a 5th rounder ? Cause if you do then my sweet Mom:chuckle:...it's YOU that are delusional. But, since we dealt Holmes, we will not get any comp pick.

And as for El, yeah he is a decent slot WR. But he in no way is a deep speed WR, or a outside WR. I would bet my life that it would have been better to keep Santonio, and then HOPE a team that has " Major " playoff hopes has a Injury of a key WR Vet, and then they offer us a HELL of alot more than a single 5th round draft pick that most likely won't even last through training camp. And I'm pretty sure a 2-time 1200 Yd plus Super Bowl MVP would have Mom.

So, I don't think I failed at all. But thanks for your reply Mom:wave:

steelerchad
04-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Mom,,,How have I failed ? Look, just because Chris Mortenson says the steelers were going to just cut Holmes does not make it true, does it ? Plus, why would that matter ? I mean the Steelers knew they were not going to even offer Burress a new deal once his ran out, and they did not. But they didn't just give him away cause they knew that it would be better to keep him that final season, and try to win a super bowl. Rather than offer him up in his final year of his deal when every NFL GM knew we weren't going to re-sign him, so we chose to keep Plex that final season, rather than get a 5th for him. I mean seriously Mom, do you think IF we would have kept Holmes, and just let him walk that the " Comp " pick we would have gotten would have been a 5th rounder ? Cause if you do then my sweet Mom:chuckle:...it's YOU that are delusional. But, since we dealt Holmes, we will not get any comp pick.

And as for El, yeah he is a decent slot WR. But he in no way is a deep speed WR, or a outside WR. I would bet my life that it would have been better to keep Santonio, and then HOPE a team that has " Major " playoff hopes has a Injury of a key WR Vet, and then they offer us a HELL of alot more than a single 5th round draft pick that most likely won't even last through training camp. And I'm pretty sure a 2-time 1200 Yd plus Super Bowl MVP would have Mom.

The fact is the Steelers would have only gotten a comp pick if he had stayed on this team for 2010, then left via free agency. Obviously that wasn't going to happen because the Steelers had decided Holmes wasn't going to be a Steeler this year. He was going to be cut, and that's obvious given what they traded him for. They wanted to part ways and they did.
As far as the Burress deal, he stayed through his last year and then they let him walk. I don't remember winning the SB his last year, but somehow we were able to win one after he left. And Santonio wasn't there yet either. So I'm not going to write off a season because they let a good, but not great receiver go. And by the way, this dumbass is likely to break a law again and the next time he'll be suspended for a full year.

The Steelers have been the model franchise in the NFL for 40 years now, they've won more than any other team and for the most part they've done it with personnel decisions much like they just made. I think I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this decision, I think they've earned at least that much.

SteelCityMom
04-13-2010, 12:06 PM

You failed miserably because of your childish knee-jerk reaction of "OMGZ We need to get rid of Colbert, he's a total MORON!!!!! LOOK AT ME!!!!"

Yeah, let's can Colbert cause he got rid of a problem player. (aka...you're delusional)

Pardon me for taking Chris Mortenson's (and others) word over yours. They have just a tiny bit more credibility than you do sorry to say. And do you REALLY think that they just brought ARE back on to the team and have been meeting with WR prospects for a while now for shyts and giggles? If you don't think that these actions have anything to do with wanting Holmes gone you're far more delusional than I thought.

Also, the difference between Plex and Holmes is night and day. If Plex had already been getting into the same trouble that Holmes has been, they would not have kept him that final season and would not have eluded to wanting to offer him another deal. Apparently they saw something in him in his final season that made them say...no, we'll let him be someone else's problem. Very bad comparison.

WH
04-13-2010, 12:08 PM

The proof that says otherwise in this organization is more than enough to prove that wrong.

whatdoiknow
04-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Mom, how exactly was Holmes a problem child ? He was sited once for pot yes. And maybe he failed another test, or didn't report. But about 80 % of the league does that. As for any other Illegal activities, what has Holmes done ? And the Colbert comment was my opinion. Fine you don't agree. But the dude has made Max Starks a top-5 paid Linemen, and he sucks. Not to mention overpaying for the other two horrible Linemen in Kemo and Colon. But point of fazct regarding Holmes is that he has gotten better each season. He won a MVP Award in the Super Bowl. And he is a dangerous Deep speed WR that I GUARANTEE you makes things alot easier for Hines the past 4 years, and as well Wallace's first season success. Bottom line, we keep Holmes this year, we can see if another team has a Injury and will deal ALOT more for Holmes. Or we keep him the entire season, Holmes leaves in free agency, and we get at LEAST A 3rd rounder for him. And you damn well KNOW Holmes is going to be on his BEST Behaiver this season cause he will want to Increase his Free agency value for next year.

Bottom line, Colbert, even if he shouldn't be fired IS a Idiot!!

WH
04-13-2010, 12:42 PM

Yeah, damn you Colbert for drafting Ben, Santonio, Heath, Troy, Rashard, Woodley, and picking up Nate Washington and Willie Parker off scrap heaps. Idiot.

whatdoiknow
04-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Actually,,,Colbert has never had the final decision on drafting when Cowher was there. So ALL those players you mentioned don't really apply. And yes, Colbert has found some Gems. But once you have found them, you don't deal a " Diamond " like Holmes for a piece of " Sh!t " like a 5th rounder,,,,do you ?

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-13-2010, 12:51 PM
The bottom line is it is maybe 1 out of 25,000 5th round picks will even make the team.

The bottom line is that your math is extremely bad. According to your "bottom line" ...only one 5th rounder has made an NFL team in the last 625 years.

:huh:

SteelCityMom
04-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Mom, how exactly was Holmes a problem child ? He was sited once for pot yes. And maybe he failed another test, or didn't report. But about 80 % of the league does that. As for any other Illegal activities, what has Holmes done ? And the Colbert comment was my opinion. Fine you don't agree. But the dude has made Max Starks a top-5 paid Linemen, and he sucks. Not to mention overpaying for the other two horrible Linemen in Kemo and Colon. But point of fazct regarding Holmes is that he has gotten better each season. He won a MVP Award in the Super Bowl. And he is a dangerous Deep speed WR that I GUARANTEE you makes things alot easier for Hines the past 4 years, and as well Wallace's first season success. Bottom line, we keep Holmes this year, we can see if another team has a Injury and will deal ALOT more for Holmes. Or we keep him the entire season, Holmes leaves in free agency, and we get at LEAST A 3rd rounder for him. And you damn well KNOW Holmes is going to be on his BEST Behaiver this season cause he will want to Increase his Free agency value for next year.

Are you really that dense?

Outside of being busted for pot once and now getting a 4 game suspension for breaking the substance abuse policy, he was arrested in Miami Beach, Florida on May 27, 2006 for disorderly conduct. Charges were subsequently dropped after Holmes paid a fine. Holmes was arrested for a second time on June 18, 2006 for domestic violence and assault in Columbus, Ohio.

We call this a pattern.

Hines0wnz
04-13-2010, 01:17 PM

Actually, he is very, very good.

Interceptor
04-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Thet's funny, because all I've ever heard from opposing fans is how he's "overrated" and doesn't make a hair on the ass of WRs like Fitz, Boldin, Marshall, Moss, etc., etc. Now all of a sudden he's one of the most dangerous WRs in the league?

Well, that's someone else. I never stated he was overrated. Ben, maybe, but not Santonio.

Objectively speaking, I have to admit that the Steelers organization had a knack for picking out receivers with "sticky hands". That's what I hated - the Steelers didn't need a good QB because their receivers just catch everything. We have a top QB (well, that window is closed now) but WRs who couldn't even catch a cold.

I was surprised my team didn't go for him - he certainly qualifies with his rap sheet. :chuckle:

FredScott
04-13-2010, 07:06 PM
Yea such a messed up trade, I mean Holmes is worth at least a 3rd round pick, yea i Know his contract is up after this year and he had this recent off the field issue but the Rooney's really overreacted in this situation. I mean my god lets trade Big Ben now while were on a roll, hell we might get Bernie Kosar and a 7th round pick in return for Ben.

SteelGhost
04-13-2010, 07:15 PM
Well, that's someone else. I never stated he was overrated. Ben, maybe, but not Santonio.

Objectively speaking, I have to admit that the Steelers organization had a knack for picking out receivers with "sticky hands". That's what I hated - the Steelers didn't need a good QB because their receivers just catch everything. We have a top QB (well, that window is closed now) but WRs who couldn't even catch a cold.

I was surprised my team didn't go for him - he certainly qualifies with his rap sheet. :chuckle:

Yeah right :coffee:

86WARD
04-13-2010, 09:01 PM

Could only trade 2 of those 4 picks. Can't trade compensatory picks...

86WARD
04-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Yea such a messed up trade, I mean Holmes is worth at least a 3rd round pick, yea i Know his contract is up after this year and he had this recent off the field issue but the Rooney's really overreacted in this situation. I mean my god lets trade Big Ben now while were on a roll, hell we might get Bernie Kosar and a 7th round pick in return for Ben.

They attempted to get a 3 for him, but couldn't. He's worth much more than what they got for him. Problem is that they showed their hand before they began talking trade...and that is never good...

memphissteelergirl
04-14-2010, 10:40 AM
The fact is the Steelers would have only gotten a comp pick if he had stayed on this team for 2010, then left via free agency. Obviously that wasn't going to happen because the Steelers had decided Holmes wasn't going to be a Steeler this year. He was going to be cut, and that's obvious given what they traded him for. They wanted to part ways and they did.
As far as the Burress deal, he stayed through his last year and then they let him walk. I don't remember winning the SB his last year, but somehow we were able to win one after he left. And Santonio wasn't there yet either. So I'm not going to write off a season because they let a good, but not great receiver go. And by the way, this dumbass is likely to break a law again and the next time he'll be suspended for a full year.

The Steelers have been the model franchise in the NFL for 40 years now, they've won more than any other team and for the most part they've done it with personnel decisions much like they just made. I think I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this decision, I think they've earned at least that much.

:thumbsup::applaudit: