PDA

View Full Version : Madden Monday: Some owe Big Ben apology

mesaSteeler
04-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Madden Monday: Some owe Big Ben apology
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/april/12/madden-monday-some-owe-big-ben-apology.html
By: Mark Madden
Beaver County Times

Monday April 12, 2010 12:08 AM

Not too long ago, rumor had it, the Steelers had a quarterback who liked men. You weren’t real comfortable with that.

The current Steelers quarterback likes women. You don’t like that, either. Make up your mind.

That’s all Ben Roethlisberger is guilty of: Liking women. It made Joe Namath an icon. It’s making Roethlisberger a pariah.

ESPN says Roethlisberger will not be charged with any crimes when the Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit District Attorney announces his finding regarding Roethlisberger’s night out in Milledgeville, Ga., last month.

Will you be as fast to embrace the law and join it in exonerating Roethlisberger as you were to wax self-righteous when, inexplicably, you turned on the quarterback that won you two Super Bowls?

Probably not. That’s life in the Ben lane. Surely make you lose your mind.

America was quick to praise serial adulterer/*****monger Tiger Woods when he was instantly competitive in the Masters despite tremendous scrutiny after over four months away from competitive golf, ignoring that Woods’ problems were self-inflicted and that team sports athletes have at least four months off between seasons.

Why won’t Pittsburgh get past Roethlisberger’s problems?

The civil suit(s) — one going on two — shouldn’t be a problem. With no criminal cases backing them up, those fall under the heading of “nuisance.”

Roethlisberger’s level of performance shouldn’t be a problem. Last campaign, he became the first Steelers quarterback to throw for 4,000 yards in a season.

No, the problem is — and will be — you’ve decided you don’t like Roethlisberger. I’m not minimizing that. Mike Tyson got convicted for rape despite no concrete evidence because a jury liked his victim a lot more than they liked Tyson. With Roethlisberger’s likeability at an all-time low, he should be all the more grateful this case won’t go to trial.
Advertisement Wedding Guide

So, you’ve got a guy you don’t like quarterbacking the football team you love. What next?

I don’t sense any change, mainly because I don’t sense Roethlisberger will feel a need to change. Anybody anticipating a public mea culpa, including Steelers management and his teammates, might be waiting a long time, and should be. Why apologize when you’ve done nothing wrong? It’s unnecessary, akin to an admission. Roethlisberger should keep going out. He likes girls and mostly, girls like him. Ben should just avoid he said, she said situations. Maybe his lawyers could draw up a release form.

I don’t expect any punishment from the NFL or the Steelers. What should Roethlisberger be punished for? What part of the NFL’s Personal Conduct Code did he violate? Even the proverbial talking-to will ring hollow.

The minute Roethlisberger is exonerated, he becomes the victim. Mistakenly arrested. Tried and convicted in the court of public opinion. Unfairly maligned by the media. Subject to speculated punishment ranging from jail to suspension to unemployment. Those things don’t go away, can’t be unsaid, now that it turns out Roethlisberger didn’t do anything.

Roethlisberger’s detractors won’t agree. “Didn’t do anything?” they will fairly roar. “He obviously did something!”

No, he didn’t. Roethlisberger really is a victim, proof anyone can accuse anyone of practically anything and have it taken seriously. There was never a legitimate case against Roethlisberger. Not a shred.

So, get over it. Ask nice, and maybe Roethlisberger will sign your autograph next time. Roethlisberger will have a big season. Bet on it. The great ones block out trouble, focus and perform.

It’s going to be awesome. It’s the one thing that can get you even angrier.

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).

stillers4me
04-12-2010, 07:36 AM
Who signed Mark Madden's name to this article?

SteelerFanInStl
04-12-2010, 08:13 AM
And Madden should be the first in line.

jjpro11
04-12-2010, 08:33 AM
even though i don't think he is guilty of anything other than being a dumbass at times.. i still want to hear he won't be charged from the prosecutor's mouth first.

Godfather
04-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Madden Monday: Some owe Big Ben apology
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/april/12/madden-monday-some-owe-big-ben-apology.html
By: Mark Madden
Beaver County Times

Monday April 12, 2010 12:08 AM

Not too long ago, rumor had it, the Steelers had a quarterback who liked men. You weren’t real comfortable with that.

The current Steelers quarterback likes women. You don’t like that, either. Make up your mind.

We did. We're OK with a QB who likes men. That's why there are all those posts from people wanting Tebow.

Gnutella
04-12-2010, 09:49 AM
I still think Mark Madden is a prick. But boy, oh boy -- he was spot on with this one.

dezignpro04
04-12-2010, 09:57 AM
I still think Mark Madden is a prick. But boy, oh boy -- he was spot on with this one.

+1. I agree with ya on that. Very well said \ written.

zulater
04-12-2010, 10:20 AM
I think there's a few that owe Ben an apology. John Steigerwald and Amy Lawrence ( ESPN radio) quickly come to mind. But I don't think the fans, the Steelers orginization or the league owe Ben an apology. Ben's frat boy behaviour is what got him into this mess and that' needs to change. Yeah I know, he's single, it's normal for a 28 year old to want to play the field. But he's not normal. He's not Joe the plumber, he's getting millions of dollars to be the face of one of the most storied franchises in sports. He has to hold himself to a higher standard of conduct than an average single shmoe. Not fair? Too bad, go drive a truck or something. .

Prok
04-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Wasn't madden one of the media guys bashing Ben ???

zulater
04-12-2010, 10:28 AM

No, Madden hates the Steelers but loves Ben. Been that way long beofre any of this stuff started happening.

Bluedust
04-12-2010, 11:21 AM

Madden's been behind Ben since as long back as I can remember. So no flip-flopping there.

fansince'76
04-12-2010, 11:27 AM

No, fatso blamed Tomlin for Ben's offseason problems.

Hines0wnz
04-12-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm withholding judgment pending the DA announcement...

Dino 6 Rings
04-12-2010, 12:07 PM
We did. We're OK with a QB who likes men. That's why there are all those posts from people wanting Tebow.

HEY!

I still want Tebow, he'll get us a 1st down on 3rd and short 99% of the time.

Hines0wnz
04-12-2010, 12:09 PM
HEY!

I still want Tebow, he'll get us a 1st down on 3rd and short 99% of the time.

lol This isnt the SEC.

Dino 6 Rings
04-12-2010, 12:10 PM
lol This isnt the SEC.

Good thing, some of the defenses in the SEC are better than the ones we face each season.

Like the Browns and the Bengals.

:rofl:

Gnutella
04-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Good thing, some of the defenses in the SEC are better than the ones we face each season.

Like the Browns and the Bengals.

:rofl:

In our second matchups with each of those teams, we scored six and 12 points, respectively.

Don DeVore
04-12-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm tired of hearing how BB won us 2 SB's
the first one he was horrible in and our defense and a 75 yard td run by willie won that sb
the second one also was won by our defense for the most part- for example a 99 yard int return by harrison

SteelCityMom
04-12-2010, 01:28 PM
the first one he was horrible in and our defense and a 75 yard td run by willie won that sb
the second one also was won by our defense for the most part- for example a 99 yard int return by harrison

Yup, the same defense that let the Cardinals come back for a large deficit to take the lead....

I mean, I'd be real tired of the QB that saved the D's ass too I guess. :doh:

Gnutella
04-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Yup, the same defense that let the Cardinals come back for a large deficit to take the lead....:

...which turned out to be a bad omen in 2009.

Bluedust
04-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Yup, the same defense that let the Cardinals come back for a large deficit to take the lead....

I mean, I'd be real tired of the QB that saved the D's ass too I guess. :doh:

It's impossible to get through to defense apologists, will never penetrate the thick skull, it's never the D's fault. Just nod and say, "Palin 2012!" or something and get on with your day.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-12-2010, 02:12 PM
I must say Madden's article is on the money... Fortunately for Ben, stupidity is not a crime...

zulater
04-12-2010, 02:15 PM

I guess the Steelers got to SB XL by invitation? :noidea: I mean the often brilliant play of the second year qb through the AFC playoffs, including a game saving tackle off a returned Jerome Bettis fumble obviously had nothing to do with them being there by your account?

I smell troll or idiot, which one do you proffess to be? :noidea:

atlsteelers
04-12-2010, 02:15 PM
The only person that owes an apology is pig ben. Like the DA said grow up ben, if we are cleaning house with holmes should we go a step further?

zulater
04-12-2010, 02:17 PM
The only person that owes an apology is pig ben. Like the DA said grow up ben, if we are cleaning house with holmes should we go a step further?

Yeah that would go far in cleaning up all those winning seasons.

:coffee:

atlsteelers
04-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Yeah that would go far in cleaning up all those winning seasons.

:coffee:

who says we can not win without ben? might not be superbowl contenders this season, but the steeles will be here long after ben is gone.

zulater
04-12-2010, 02:21 PM
who says we can not win without ben? might not be superbowl contenders this season, but the steeles will be here long after ben is gone.

How many Super Bowls have the Steelers won without an elite quarterback?

Exactly.

SteelersBry79
04-12-2010, 02:26 PM

I certainly hope you don't think we can win another SB, let alone a single game with Dixon as qb.

Yes, I do NOT have any faith in Dixon.

atlsteelers
04-12-2010, 02:30 PM
I certainly hope you don't think we can win another SB, let alone a single game with Dixon as qb.

Yes, I do NOT have any faith in Dixon.

why not? we could win dixon, no way the superbowl this year but we could work our way back into contention.

I like ben as quarterback - he is easily a top 3 in the league. but as person i have no respect for him and regardless of what madden says; nobody owes ben an apology.

Hines0wnz
04-12-2010, 02:36 PM
How many Super Bowls have the Steelers won without an elite quarterback?

Exactly.

This.

Hines0wnz
04-12-2010, 02:40 PM
I'm withholding judgment pending the DA announcement...

And now with that settled, we can all (try to) move on. Ben is only guilty of having millions of $$$ and being immature, so be it. I was once 28 and did stupid things and now he has too. Hopefully.....hope......ful.....ly.....he has learned his lesson and will just stay home and drink and play video games like us "grown ups" do now. :chuckle:

solardave
04-12-2010, 03:16 PM
even though i don't think he is guilty of anything other than being a dumbass at times.. i still want to hear he won't be charged from the prosecutor's mouth first.

I agree about the dumbass part. Another thing is the internet wasn't around when Namath played. BB is under the microscope and needs to be aware of it. Just don't put yourself in the position. PERIOD!!! Nothing wrong with liking women, it's what we do as men but we also have to respect them.I'm not saying he doesn't either.I'm just saying he sets himself up to look like he doesn't. Use some common sense Ben.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-12-2010, 03:25 PM
If Ben starts hitting on Suzy Kolber during an inebriated interview THEN we know we have a problem on our hands... :)

7SteelGal43
04-12-2010, 03:27 PM
:tt03: