PDA

View Full Version : What were the steelers thinking?

IrishSteeler
04-12-2010, 10:57 AM
I used to be a Browns fan but I am moving to Pittsburgh so I have decided to support the Steelers
Have i cursed them?
This was such a Browns like trade
What were the Rooneys thinking?
Holmes was troubled but very talented
He was going to be the no.1 WR for many years to come
Now the Steelers offense is looking a whole lot worse
Who will they draft or sign?
Is there any positives from this trade?
Is there anybody who doesnt care about this trade?

Nadroj 20
04-12-2010, 11:02 AM
I liked holmes and under any circumstances hate to see him leave the team. I did feel like trading him was a good possibility however, but boy did i think we would get ALOT more then one 5th round pick!!

I'll get over the fact he's gone, and we should have got more for him.

fansince'76
04-12-2010, 11:04 AM
I would've liked them to get more, but I'm not going to cry over spilled milk. We'll survive.

Vincent
04-12-2010, 11:05 AM
I voted "get more". Heck, a case of beer would've doubled the value.

supa_fly_steeler
04-12-2010, 11:07 AM
I actually think Mike Wallace was going to be the better reciever.

I think Holmes was overrated because of that catch. I could think of 8 other receivers better than him.

truesteelerfan
04-12-2010, 11:19 AM
I think this trade was a BIG mistake! And to the JETS who were in the AFC Title game last year??? Even if he was suspended for 4 games....His stats would still be better than anyone who we get for a 5th round pick! I don't often feel this strongly about a move the FO makes...but this one makes me mad

Men of Steel
04-12-2010, 11:26 AM
greeaat..... thanks ALLOT TONE.....
now im gonna HAVE TO change my sig......... :doh:

steelreserve
04-12-2010, 11:28 AM
I voted for keeping him. Having him for 12 games would've done a lot more to help us win another Super Bowl than some throwaway draft pick that we don't even have room for on the roster. After the season, he probably walks away as a free agent and we get the same exact draft pick as a compensatory pick anyway.

Sorry, but I really don't think the intangible "distraction" of a guy who smokes weed has anywhere close to the same negative impact as giving up a 1,000-yard receiver for nothing. Even if we absolutely hated him, all we had to do was put up with him for three-quarters of a season. We've dealt with way worse.

Set-Man
04-12-2010, 11:32 AM
:noidea:I was pissed when I saw the headline early this AM, especially when I found out Leon Washington wasn't part of the deal.

Now that details are coming out about his actions I am understanding the move a little better.

1) Another drug offense, likely pot that would lead to a 4 game suspension. Is he an idiot?
2) Twitter account statements
3) Current lawsuit.

I see the trangression as follows:
1) This next season was most likely Holmes' last with us. And he would have been out for the first 4 games.
2) He seems to take his drug offenses lightly.
3) This would partly save the Steelers org. a little bit of ongoing embarassment from this offseason.
4) A fifth round draft pick is better then nothing but I would have hoped to get more from a former #1 who is still in his prime. Who would give up more for a troubled player who will be out the first 4 games of the season and have current legal issues? Looks like nobody

Hopefully Battle and Sweed pick it up.....

43Hitman
04-12-2010, 11:33 AM
I would've liked them to get more, but I'm not going to cry over spilled milk. We'll survive.

This.

Steely McSmash
04-12-2010, 11:33 AM

I think Holmes was overrated because of that catch. I could think of 8 other receivers better than him.

So he's maybe the 9th best receiver who we traded for a late 5th round pick.

Compare Boldin getting a 3rd and 4th I think.

It's actually pretty close to my assesment of him. I'd place him at about the top 3rd of the league for #1 receiver quality.

Bad deal short term but long term it might be the best thing if the team didn't think they could or would want to re-sign him. At least this way they get some value. There's rumor that there may be a second part of this for Leon Washington if he signs his tender.

I read that this went down very late. why not shop it around? The only thing that could conceivably be cause for rushing this is if the jets put the offer out there for a limited time or if the FO wanted to do this before the DA's announcement on BB being charged or not. who knows maybe they have been shopping it for a while.

Mags87
04-12-2010, 11:39 AM

did you watch the playoffs in 2008? Holmes was an absolute animal. I am very sad about this, even with his off the field problems. #10 made for one of my favorite football memories of all time. ill sure miss him :(

supa_fly_steeler
04-12-2010, 11:41 AM
did you watch the playoffs in 2008? Holmes was an absolute animal. I am very sad about this, even with his off the field problems. #10 made for one of my favorite football memories of all time. ill sure miss him :(

I did watch the playoffs, if Andre Johnson was on our team, I'm pretty sure he would of been a beast in the playoffs.

I'm just saying, watch out mike wallace doubters, just sit back, relax and watch him become avery good receiver.

IrishSteeler
04-12-2010, 11:51 AM
i think we will definately miss him on our offense
but i do think that it is a good idea to get rid of players with troubles with the law
however,the Rooneys are turning a blind eye to Big Ben
they would never trade him so why trade Holmes
and you cant say that it is because Holmes doesnt take his offenses seriously because Big Ben is a repeat offender

Hammer67
04-12-2010, 11:57 AM
i think we will definately miss him on our offense
but i do think that it is a good idea to get rid of players with troubles with the law
however,the Rooneys are turning a blind eye to Big Ben
they would never trade him so why trade Holmes
and you cant say that it is because Holmes doesnt take his offenses seriously because Big Ben is a repeat offender

Because Holmes was charged with his issues and failed a drug test. Ben has only been guilty of poor judgement so far. Different scenario. If Ben is charged and found guilty in either case, then we can talk.

Plus, it's a lot easier to find a player who only touches the ball four times a game vs. a franchise QB. Fair? Nope...but that's life.

Set-Man
04-12-2010, 11:58 AM
I think Holmes had issues with drugs and several off the field issues while Ben has had 2 issues with women. I agree that they are probably treating them different because Ben is our franchise QB. But saying that he has not been found guilty in either. In my opinion he is guilty of bad judgement and will hopefully not do this again. If he does then the FO has to make a tough call.

Hines0wnz
04-12-2010, 12:00 PM

Let's see your list. :wink02:

Mags87
04-12-2010, 12:05 PM
I did watch the playoffs, if Andre Johnson was on our team, I'm pretty sure he would of been a beast in the playoffs.

I'm just saying, watch out mike wallace doubters, just sit back, relax and watch him become avery good receiver.

i dont know who these Wallace doubters are, but you cant really expect that he can replace Tone's performance in his second year here. I am very excited about Wallace's future as a Steeler but i was also very excited about Tone's current contribution to the team. At least i can watch Randel El this year, that should help out a little bit.

Hammer67
04-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Let's see your list. :wink02:

Moss
Colston
Wayne
Fitz
Miles Austin
Roddy White
Steve Smith
Andre Johnson
Ocho

Oops...there's nine off the top of my head...

wdsteel
04-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Mike wallace full time starter...i give him 71 for 1109 yards....in a run 1st system.
just wished we got more then 5th and rb Leon Washington...even if we do get Leon
I still think we could of done better..

IrishSteeler
04-12-2010, 12:16 PM
what is the likelihood that we get Washington?

wdsteel
04-12-2010, 12:23 PM
he has to sign his 1 year tender..then its 90%

Prok
04-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Better question is how the F does a clowns fan switch his allegience to being a Steelers fan ???

:chuckle:

wdsteel
04-12-2010, 12:32 PM
said he moved....hey maybe we got a few jets fans in the trade...

Prok
04-12-2010, 12:33 PM
he has to sign his 1 year tender..then its 90%

Don't get your hopes up. ESPN guys have already reported Washington NOT part of deal.

IrishSteeler
04-12-2010, 12:38 PM
i was never a big browns fan but i just supported them because my parents lived there for 2 years
but now im moving to Pittsburgh

Prok
04-12-2010, 12:41 PM
i was never a big browns fan but i just supported them because my parents lived there for 2 years
but now im moving to Pittsburgh

Well i'm glad you found the light.

Rule #1 as a Steelers fan: Let all those negative cleveland vibes go. Let em' roll off of you like water off a ducks back.

:tt:

JackHammer
04-12-2010, 12:41 PM
I wish we got more but I'm not upset about it. We've moved on before and we'll do it again.

IrishSteeler
04-12-2010, 12:49 PM
how much hate is there in the Browns-Steelers rivalry?
would you say the steelers have the best front office/management in the NFL now and historically?
how much will the departure of Holmes effect the offense?

IrishSteeler
04-12-2010, 12:56 PM
also,why doesnt it say ANYTHING about the trade on steelers.com or the Big Ben case?

Godfather
04-12-2010, 01:13 PM
His contract was up after this season, and the Steelers weren't going to re-sign him anyway because of all the off-field headaches. But I wish we'd gotten more than a fifth rounder.

Oh--one thing the OP forgot. Any poll must include "Patriots suck and Tom Brady is gay" as an option.

steelerdave1969
04-12-2010, 01:15 PM
He's gone . . We have a 5th Round pick in return for a Former Super Bowl MVP . . . and Who Do We Select in the 1st Round This Year? . . . Its Over . . Its Done:hug:

wootawnee
04-12-2010, 01:42 PM
I think he is the best R.A.C. reciever in the game.......Top 5 punt returner too.........

SteelCityMom
04-12-2010, 01:48 PM
I'm glad he's gone...and this can't be stated enough to people who are freaking out about the pick they got for him.....The FO was going to cut him if he couldn't be traded (meaning they'd get nothing), and a 5th round pick was the highest bid for him.

Apparently nobody else in the league thought he was worth more than that.

solardave
04-12-2010, 02:01 PM

The fact is look at the baggage. He's never going to learn. He thinks he's above it all so it's good he's gone. We don't need him.

7SteelGal43
04-12-2010, 02:07 PM
I voted "wish we'd gotten more", but on a side note, the OP was very interesting. One thing you'll NEVER hear a Steeler fan say "I was a Steeler fan but I'm moving to Cleveland and decided to support the Browns". :noidea: jus' sayin

by the way, welcome to STEELER NATION !!

Steeldude
04-12-2010, 02:10 PM
has any legit source confirmed it was for a 5th round pick?

SteelersBry79
04-12-2010, 02:13 PM
For the most part I'm glad he's gone. Yes he's a valuable asset to the team, but like it's been said, wide receivers are a dime a dozen and the Steelers don't need a pot smoking idiot who brags about it. However, trade wise, it was a dumb move on the FO's part and we should've gotten more out of it, but I have all faith in the FO and in the end we'll do just fine.

wdsteel
04-12-2010, 02:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5077088.just a 5th and Ben still in dog house even without being charged

RoethlisBURGHer
04-12-2010, 02:25 PM
He was traded because of drugs, not the other legal issues. I wish we could have gotten more, but I think it would have been hard to do so.

Holmes has now has his second violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy. One more failed or missed drug test and he's suspended for an entire season.

This is also the last year he is under contract. When a new CBA is agreed to, he will probably be an UFA. The Jets probably can keep him if they want to, but will they? He is from Miami....maybe he will want to go to the Dolphins. Parcells doesn't shy away from troubled players, and Holmes is a proven receiver. If he does some damage against the Dolphins this season, I wouldn't be shocked to see Bill Parcells and Co. make a serious offer to bring Santonio home to Miami.

But in the end, he was traded because he broke a big promise to Mike Tomlin and the Steelers ownership, and they just couldn't justify keeping him around. Especially when it's been rumored that they were going to let him walk after this season and they could get something for him. A fifth rounder is better than letting him walk for nothing.

Galax Steeler
04-12-2010, 02:37 PM
I wished we could have gotten more out of the trade but we didn't so time to move on without him.

xbroughneck
04-12-2010, 02:42 PM
The Steelers got the best they could get. Sleepy eyes is now no longer a Steeler. Time for Ben to make Mike Wallace a pro bowl receiver. :tt04:

solardave
04-12-2010, 03:06 PM
I voted for keeping him. Having him for 12 games would've done a lot more to help us win another Super Bowl than some throwaway draft pick that we don't even have room for on the roster. After the season, he probably walks away as a free agent and we get the same exact draft pick as a compensatory pick anyway.

Sorry, but I really don't think the intangible "distraction" of a guy who smokes weed has anywhere close to the same negative impact as giving up a 1,000-yard receiver for nothing. Even if we absolutely hated him, all we had to do was put up with him for three-quarters of a season. We've dealt with way worse.

They're saying it's about the weed but I'll bet it's more about disrespecting women.
I ask you,what's worse (other than murder or rape) than hitting women? Not just hitting women but throwing glasses at them and then paying someone else to take the blame.
Sorry, he's a punk and we're better off without him. There are a lot of talented recievers in this draft. IE---- Mike Wallace.

stlrtruck
04-12-2010, 03:22 PM
It took me all day to process this and the only thing that resounds inside my ears is, "WE ONLY GOT A 5TH ROUND PICK FOR HIM?!"

Worse case scenario let him play out his last year, and be completely done with him but basically what you're getting in return for a good WR is someone that will either not make the team, be only STs, or on the practice squad.

Right now I say it was a bad trade, but I come back to the fact that I trust the FO and they'll put something together - just right now that pill is hard to swallow.

steelreserve
04-12-2010, 03:35 PM
They're saying it's about the weed but I'll bet it's more about disrespecting women.
I ask you,what's worse (other than murder or rape) than hitting women? Not just hitting women but throwing glasses at them and then paying someone else to take the blame.
Sorry, he's a punk and we're better off without him. There are a lot of talented recievers in this draft. IE---- Mike Wallace.

Yeah, I guess the more I think about it, the more I'm angry about what we got in return than about anything else. We seriously could've gotten a pick at least two rounds higher if we'd put even a minimal amount of effort into it instead of a complete knee-jerk like this.

Or if it was our way of saying "F-you, we want to send a message that we won't tolerate this type of bullshit" ... why did we trade him to a playoff contender in a big market exactly like he wanted? It would be like if I showed up for work drunk and shouting "screw this place, I want to work for someone else in a place with tropical weather," and to send a message that it wouldn't be tolerated, they set me up with a job with a rival company based out of Honolulu. Yeah, they sure showed me.

kirklandrules
04-12-2010, 04:04 PM
I gotta laugh about a lot of the posts in this thread. A few weeks ago everyone was posting that the Steelers were becoming the new Benguls with all the off field legal issues. Now that the FO has taken action, everyone is pissed. At a minimum we'll have a 5th rounder in camp pushing the guys ahead of him and therefore, making the team better. Tone was going to louse this up and hopefully this is his wakeup call. So let's be happy we aren't breaking the bank trying to resign a woman beating druggy who helps put us in the same conversation as the Bungles and will have some potential for a longer term contributor.

polamalubeast
04-12-2010, 04:06 PM
The biggest problem with this is to have trade exchange has a team or that Holmes could help them win the super bowl.

The jets will be very difficult next year, especially if Sanchez gets better.

Supporters of the jets have the right to dream in the super bowl, while for us, may be very difficult AC to win the super bowl, which is our goal every season.

I hope at least we will be able to surprise the world this year as in 2004!

Steeldude
04-13-2010, 01:04 AM
looks liek the steelers didn't really value holmes or other teams didn't value him.

in terms of depth it hurts a little, but holmes really wasn't anything special.