PDA

View Full Version : Possible Solution to the Holmes fiasco

PhantomJB93
04-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Trade whatever draft picks as necessary (our second and either our third or fourth; maybe a pick in next year's draft if we absolutely have to) to acquire a LATE first round pick in addition to pick 18; take Kyle Wilson at pick 18 and Golden Tate (similar in size and speed to Holmes but without the character questions) near the end of the first round.

Thoughts?

supa_fly_steeler
04-12-2010, 03:49 PM
i would make the 49ers get colon

13th pick select earl thomas

18th pick select brandon graham

move up in later rounds to select some random recievers

ETL
04-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Panic move

PhantomJB93
04-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Panic move

Ya, I figure a lot of people might say that. Im a ND fan so Im just getting myself into the delusion that we actually have a chance of nabbing Golden Tate now lmao

The Duke
04-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Thoughts

No

You want to waste a pick on next year's draft for a freakin wide receiver? There's plenty of talent as high as the 4th round

slippy
04-12-2010, 04:04 PM
don't forget that heath and mendenhall are excellent receivers.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Because the year is uncapped. I would mortgage a bit next year for this year. ONLY because this year appears to be a very deep draft. At least through 3 rounds.

But I think if we had a shot to move now for someone like haden, because of the holmes mess, thats not going to happen. Therefore I really like Pouncey at 18.
I think there is a Wallace around 4 in the draft.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-12-2010, 04:13 PM
The solution is to NOT panic. We still have 3 solid receivers (Ward, Wallace and El)... We'll be fine. No need to reach, and the best move is to take the best available PLAYER, and not for a perceived "need"...

RoethlisBURGHer
04-12-2010, 04:14 PM
We don't need to use a first rounder on a wideout.

Mike Wallace is going to step into the position that Holmes had. He stretches the field with his speed like Holmes did.

Randle El is back, he's still fast and he will be able to work out of the slot where he's most effective.

Heath Miller is one of the best receiving tight ends in the NFL.

Mendenhall is good at catching balls out of the backfield, something we never did with Willie Parker because he was horrible at it.

pete74
04-12-2010, 04:16 PM
i think we will move upo in the 2nd to grab tate if he is still there which he should be.

Indo
04-12-2010, 04:20 PM
The solution is to NOT panic. We still have 3 solid receivers (Ward, Wallace and El)... We'll be fine. No need to reach, and the best move is to take the best available PLAYER, and not for a perceived "need"...

The solution is...
the FO already has a solution

Personally, I can't wait to see what it is

steelreserve
04-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Somehow, I don't think we'll be drafting any receivers. Ever stop to think that we've already got five on the team -- maybe six if you count Grisham? There's no spot on the roster for any more. We'd be drafting them just to cut them, or else cutting one of the free agents we just gave a million-dollar signing bonus to. Not gonna happen.

LVSteelersfan
04-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Somehow, I don't think we'll be drafting any receivers. Ever stop to think that we've already got five on the team -- maybe six if you count Grisham? There's no spot on the roster for any more. We'd be drafting them just to cut them, or else cutting one of the free agents we just gave a million-dollar signing bonus to. Not gonna happen.

What he said. We need to draft to find replacements over the next few years for Harrison, Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, etc. WRs we don't need no matter how much people are panicking. I still say Sweed is going to pan out as at least a three for now and move up to a two when Hines finally retires.

The Duke
04-12-2010, 05:40 PM

Grisham!

have high hopes for him

Ward, Wallace, El, Sweed, Grisham, and Battle

you may be on to something. Maybe we won't see a WR until at least the 4th/5th round, when they can easily be stashed on the PS

PhantomJB93
04-12-2010, 05:56 PM
What he said. We need to draft to find replacements over the next few years for Harrison, Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, etc. WRs we don't need no matter how much people are panicking. I still say Sweed is going to pan out as at least a three for now and move up to a two when Hines finally retires.

If you're worried about drafting replacements than why are you not worried at all about the receivers? Randle El clearly doesnt have much left in the tank and Hines isnt going to be here much longer either. then were left with Wallace and...nobody else. I just think we need to take a WR early because we just traded our "WR of the future" and this draft's best WR's look to be much more promising than next year's, I think we need to jump on that opportunity rather than take the chance and find our new wideout next year...

SteelGhost
04-12-2010, 05:57 PM
IMHO the secondary and OL are the first units that need to be addressed :noidea:

Prok
04-12-2010, 06:01 PM
The solution is...
the FO already has a solution

Personally, I can't wait to see what it is

Mike Wallace. He's a great deep threat already.

Psyychoward86
04-12-2010, 06:03 PM

Hines is may have 4 years left on his contract, but he's 33 years old and has had nagging injuries the last 3 years We dont know how much longer he'll be so productive. ARE will only be around 3 years, and at best can be considered an O.K #2 (#3 for us obviously). Wallace has been going up against #3 and #4 cornerbacks for most of the year. We dont know how he'll do against starting corners.

There's a lot of question marks, but at least we still got Heath and Rashard to throw too :thumbsup:

RoethlisBURGHer
04-12-2010, 06:08 PM
IMHO the secondary and OL are the first units that need to be addressed :noidea:

I agree.

What good is a first round receiver if Ben's not upright long enough to get him the ball and the defense can't get off the field without the opposing team scoring?

PhantomJB93
04-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Hines is may have 4 years left on his contract, but he's 33 years old and has had nagging injuries the last 3 years We dont know how much longer he'll be so productive. ARE will only be around 3 years, and at best can be considered an O.K #2 (#3 for us obviously). Wallace has been going up against #3 and #4 cornerbacks for most of the year. We dont know how he'll do against starting corners.

There's a lot of question marks, but at least we still got Heath and Rashard to throw too :thumbsup:

Exactly, I just think we need to find our "future WR" now that we got rid of Tone and we have noone we can rely on to be here 2 years from now as an established starting receiver and (although I may be a biased ND fan) I just happen to think a receiver like Golden Tate would fit PERFECTLY in our system and fill the role that has been left by Santonio and is likely to be soon left behind by Hines.

SteelGhost
04-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Exactly, I just think we need to find our "future WR" now that we got rid of Tone and we have noone we can rely on to be here 2 years from now as an established starting receiver and (although I may be a biased ND fan) I just happen to think a receiver like Golden Tate would fit PERFECTLY in our system and fill the role that has been left by Santonio and is likely to be soon left behind by Hines.

Let's keep the faith in Mike Wallace :wink: :tt03:

Shoes
04-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Grisham!

have high hopes for him

you may be on to something. Maybe we won't see a WR until at least the 4th/5th round, when they can easily be stashed on the PS

I like Grisham, hope to see more of him this year.

Psyychoward86
04-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Grisham dropped a pass and caught a pass against an awful, awful defense. We really dont know jack about what's going to go on with him.

Imagine if Limas just unleashes the dragon right now and supplants a spot as at least a #3 wide receiver. I would be more than pleased if he could pan out as even a decent #3.

St33lersguy
04-12-2010, 07:02 PM
The steelers do not need a WR, they have their all-time leading recieve who is still running strong, an emerging reciever in Mike Wallace, plus 2 servicable back ups in ARE and Arnaz Battle. Although I figure that if the steelers weren't smart enough to ask for more than a pick they'll use as practice fodder for a year or two they will think a WR is such a dire need and ignorepressing areas of need like the D-line

BritishSteel
04-13-2010, 05:17 AM
Grisham!

have high hopes for him

Isn't Logan also technically listed as WR? Not that I think we'll see much of him as a wideout (Unless Arians has been working on building the gadget playbook up again in the close season).

With 11 picks in this years draft, that's plenty of ammunition to be creative, but I can't see us drafting a WR in the first three rounds - bigger needs elsewhere.

wdsteel
04-13-2010, 05:38 AM
[QUOTE=supa_fly_steeler;797833]i would make the 49ers get colon

this is good for tradeing back into 1st.. dont get a WR till 4 or later..
dont for get about logan....they wanted to fine ways to fit him in last year.
well this year they found a way...sorry tone.:wave:

SteelerFanInStl
04-13-2010, 08:08 AM
With 11 picks in this years draft, that's plenty of ammunition to be creative, but I can't see us drafting a WR in the first three rounds - bigger needs elsewhere.

:iagree: You can still get a good WR late in the draft.

steelpride12
04-13-2010, 08:17 AM
i would make the 49ers get colon

move up in later rounds to select some random recievers

I think the team will keep Colon and not make the WR position a priority. Remembering the '05 season when the WR corp was Ward, Wilson and El, this season starting off with Ward, El, and Wallace, Battle is a good start and a receiver in the first or second round will do this team just good with still a chance for Thomas.

SteelMember
04-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Hey, we have 11 picks. We use 6 of them to pick Wr's. Surely one of them will be good.

:busted: /sarcasm alert