PDA

View Full Version : No charges for Big Ben. No redemption either.

mesaSteeler
04-12-2010, 06:17 PM
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/04/12/no-charges-for-big-ben-no-redemption-either/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29
View From The Press Box

No charges for Big Ben. No redemption either.
April 12th, 2010

Ben Roethlisberger will not face criminal charges following an accusation of sexual assault stemming from a March 5 incident at a Milledgeville, Ga., nightclub.

But today’s announcement by district attorney Fred Bright, whose jurisdiction includes Milledgeville, hardly provides redemption for Roethlisberger.

Bright, in fact, had some pointed words for Roethlisberger during a news conference, including two that the Steelers have probably told their franchise quarterback: “Grow up.”

“If he were my son the best thing I could say is ‘Hey, grow up.’ ” Bright said. “I’d say ‘You don’t even need to put yourself in this position anymore. You need to be a role model for your team, your city, the NFL.’ "

Amen to that.

“I hope a lot of people involved in this learned some lessons," Bright said. "There was too much drinking going on, both under and over the age of 21.”

I’m re-thinking my position that the NFL would only suspend Roethlisberger if criminal charges were filed against him. The details that emerged during the news conference painted Roethlisberger and the NFL, by extension, in such a bad light that commissioner Roger Goodell may not have a choice but to take action.

Here is hoping that Bright’s words resonate with Roethlisberger – or someone in his camp that does have the two-time Super Bowl winner’s ear.

That is because Roethlisberger has used up all of his chances with the Steelers.

And one more off the field incident will earn him a one-way ticket out of town.

fansince'76
04-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Bright, in fact, had some pointed words for Roethlisberger during a news conference, including two that the Steelers have probably told their franchise quarterback: “Grow up.”

“If he were my son the best thing I could say is ‘Hey, grow up.’ ” Bright said. “I’d say ‘You don’t even need to put yourself in this position anymore. You need to be a role model for your team, your city, the NFL.’ "

Didn't see the presser, but if he did say that, it was completely out of line. If you don't have enough evidence to prosecute, cut to the chase and say that and then STFU.

Ricco Suavez
04-12-2010, 09:27 PM
Does it not appear at least a little strange that there was not enough
DNA evidence for a match. I mean two people who by all accounts had been drinking most of the night. Two people who engaged in a sexual encounter in a confined space. The "victim" has a minor laceration, yet not enough DNA to even test. Either someone is lying or someone cleaned up very well. BTW she had conflicting stories when first questioned. No wonder he was not charged. This should have been over weeks ago.

Preacher
04-12-2010, 09:30 PM
DNA evidence for a match. I mean two people who by all accounts had been drinking most of the night. Two people who engaged in a sexual encounter in a confined space. The "victim" has a minor laceration, yet not enough DNA to even test. Either someone is lying or someone cleaned up very well. BTW she had conflicting stories when first questioned. No wonder he was not charged. This should have been over weeks ago.

Or, he decided to "pull out"

Look. The issue isn't whether it happened or not, it is whether it was consensual or not.

Funny, that is the same issue as the previous girl.

Prok
04-12-2010, 09:53 PM

Agreed. And the DA DID even go as far as to say he knew early on this case wasn't going anywhere.

What they are doing IMO is they are tongue lashing Ben because he is the well-known football player and should have known better than to be in that situation. The reality of it is BOTH parties were at fault.

Ben hopefully has matured and learned from this. Now we can all move on and become one Steeler Nation again.

:tt:

mesaSteeler
04-12-2010, 09:58 PM

Remember that the DA does have to run for office so he had to bend over backward to make sure that his voters knew he had done a through job. After all it was a local girl who made the charge.

ysgi
04-12-2010, 10:32 PM
That DA was just covering his ass.

He wants to be Governor some day and he is PISSED that he couldn't use this high profile case to get his name known.

Ben did nothing wrong. END OF STORY.

Yinzers need to go back to drinkin Iron and hangin out at South Park.

Stu Pidasso
04-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Mesa, no offense, but I'm TIRED of reading bloggers inane chatter and retarded views. I can't stand bloggers who feel like the world is there to read their crap and enable them. F%^$ whoever wrote this.

I watched the presser, none of this ever came out of Bright's mouth.

tube517
04-12-2010, 10:41 PM
That DA was just covering his ass.

Yinzers need to go back to drinkin Iron and hangin out at South Park.

:drink:

mesaSteeler
04-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Mesa, no offense, but I'm TIRED of reading bloggers inane chatter and retarded views. I can't stand bloggers who feel like the world is there to read their crap and enable them. F%^$ whoever wrote this.

I watched the presser, none of this ever came out of Bright's mouth.

Take it up with the Pittsburgh Tribune and Scott Brown, who is one of their beat reporters for the Steelers. It's his blog on their site.

Email: sbrown@tribweb.com

Bio: Brown has worked in Gettysburg and Philadelphia and grew up in Greensburg. He returned to Western Pennsylvania last fall after spending more than six years trying to avoid water hazards (and alligators) and sand traps on Florida golf courses. He’s covered a variety of sports, including football, baseball and golf. He got talked into handling mascot duties one time for a minor league baseball game and doing a story on his experience. He survived the extreme heat and doing the "Chicken Dance," even though he thought he was going to lose his balance and fall off the dugout roof. Brown joined the Tribune-Review in 2006. He drove from Florida to Pittsburgh and, less than a week later, flew down to the Sunshine State to cover a Steelers-Jaguars game. In addition to the Steelers, he writes a regular NFL column and covered the Super Bowl in Miami. Personal background: Brown grew up in Greensburg and is a graduate of Greensburg Salem High School and Penn State University. He recently bought a townhouse in Export and, as a first-time homeowner, is a very big fan of warranties.

Vincent
04-12-2010, 10:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5079655

A doctor who examined her at a nearby emergency room found a cut, bruises and vaginal bleeding but could not say if she was raped. And while some DNA was found, there was not enough to determine whom it belonged to, Bright said.