PDA

View Full Version : Maurkice Pouncey

BehindSteelCurtain
04-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Perfect fit for the Steelers. Hardnose interior lineman.....Comparable to Jets C Nick Mangold.

Listed at 6'5", 312 lbs....out of University of Florida.

Forget all the WR in the 1st round talk....this guy is our guy. Not sure what he's expected to play at the NFL. Started as a Frosh. at RG. As a Soph. and Jr. he was a C. Probably could play either or and start right away for the Steelers.

PhantomJB93
04-13-2010, 12:09 AM
If we get a second 1st rounder then sure. If we take him before somebody for the secondary then I will be pissed.

7willBheaven
04-13-2010, 12:15 AM
I dunno how we'd get a second first rounder unless we gave up a lot or did some stupid trade. I wouldnt be against moving back a couple picks...getting a late 2nd or a 3rd thrown in and then pickup Pouncey if thats the route they are going. I'd be happy with CB/OL in the first...hell even a stud NT of the future is fine by me (though i think Dan williams is gone by this pick and i dont like anyone else in the first for NTs)

supa_fly_steeler
04-13-2010, 02:28 AM
If we get a second 1st rounder then sure. If we take him before somebody for the secondary then I will be pissed.

This agreed

Sharkissle29
04-13-2010, 01:05 PM
At the 18 spot i would not want to draft this guy.....

However, a trade down for a higher 2nd or 2nd straight up....and id LOVE it

+NuBbS+
04-13-2010, 01:12 PM
i love pouncey alot due to his versitility(sp). i'd love to trade down from 18 to the mid 20's and snatch him up. then maybe trade into the early part of the second round and address our DB or WR situation.

tony hipchest
04-13-2010, 07:23 PM
he sounds like a damn fine interior lineman. but supply and demand says you dont take them so early.

how many interceptions does all his supporters think he will get? because just incase anyone has forgotten, our CB's had a grand total of two last year.

i cant see a football hiker being such a high priority after last season. now if we were the defending champs or in the same position as the colts, i could see having the luxory to make that pick.

taztroy43
04-13-2010, 07:33 PM

:thumbsup:

pete74
04-13-2010, 07:52 PM
i would like to trade up and grab him. we can use the extra pick to trade up in the 2nd and grab tate or someone else

Steel_Bus_24
04-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Yep I'll be mad if we don't get some secondary help as well in the 1st

Only exception would be if McClain falls to us

Set-Man
04-13-2010, 08:40 PM
For me it is easy:

What is easier to get in free agency - center or corner? We are never going to get a shutdown corner in free agency as they are way too damn expensive! The only way to get one is through the draft, probably in the first round. I would go for Kyle Wilson or Earl Thomas (if he is still there). Get a center in later rounds. Would I like Pouncey --> not at 18 I wouldn't. I would move back a few spaces, try to get Pouncey and then hopefully get someone early in the second round like Golden Tate.

PhantomJB93
04-13-2010, 11:40 PM
I dont even want to trade down for him, dont get me wrong Pounceys a beast but the fact of the matter is there is a HUGE dropoff in CB skill every year after the first round whereas there is at least a LITTLE more depth at linemen, IMO we NEED to address the CB problem with pick 18 unless Haden, Thomas, Berry, and Wilson are all gone by the time we pick (which I doubt). The only way Id pick an OL over one of them is if one of the OL "superstars" projected to go top ten managed to fall to 18.

taztroy43
04-14-2010, 02:14 AM
I dont even want to trade down for him, dont get me wrong Pounceys a beast but the fact of the matter is there is a HUGE dropoff in CB skill every year after the first round whereas there is at least a LITTLE more depth at linemen, IMO we NEED to address the CB problem with pick 18 unless Haden, Thomas, Berry, and Wilson are all gone by the time we pick (which I doubt). The only way Id pick an OL over one of them is if one of the OL "superstars" projected to go top ten managed to fall to 18.

:thumbsup: you're right on the money on that one!

Steely McSmash
04-14-2010, 12:50 PM

There's certainly a lot of OC and OG talent through round 3 as you would expect. I don't know that I've ever seen Pouncey described as a potential game changer. So in that sense I agree that he'd probably not worth his current hyped value. At 2.10 or so it's not outrageous but you can get a good guard or center later. I think Iupati is a special player so I wouldn't mind him in the first.

There are certainly a lot of corners projected to be on the board in round 2. McCourty from Rutgers is I think right up there with Wilson.

I took a look for yucks at when the 2010 pro bowl corners were drafted.

1.31 Asomugha
1.14 Revis
1.7 Bailey
4.23 Samuel
1.4 C. Woodson
1.16 Rodger-Cromartie
1..5 Newman
1.25 Jenkins

5 of these were the #1 corner taken. I was expecting this data to refute the need to go corner in the 1st but now I agree with you.

redrider
04-14-2010, 10:22 PM
he sounds like a damn fine interior lineman. but supply and demand says you dont take them so early.

how many interceptions does all his supporters think he will get? because just incase anyone has forgotten, our CB's had a grand total of two last year.

i cant see a football hiker being such a high priority after last season. now if we were the defending champs or in the same position as the colts, i could see having the luxory to make that pick.Steelers had problems in short yardage situations all of last season and for the better part of the last three seasons, at least in part because sean mahan and justin hartwig couldn't handle the big NT/DT'S up front. If the steelers recent talk about wanting to run the ball more is nothing more than lip service then they shouldn't draft pouncey(or any other interior lineman)in the first round but if they're serious, consider that the 2nd rated center in this year's draft ,Matt Tennant , isn't even in the same zip code in ability as pouncey. the talent level after him at center goes straight off a cliff.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-14-2010, 10:31 PM
I would like to see a new center

PhantomJB93
04-14-2010, 11:22 PM
There's certainly a lot of OC and OG talent through round 3 as you would expect. I don't know that I've ever seen Pouncey described as a potential game changer. So in that sense I agree that he'd probably not worth his current hyped value. At 2.10 or so it's not outrageous but you can get a good guard or center later. I think Iupati is a special player so I wouldn't mind him in the first.

There are certainly a lot of corners projected to be on the board in round 2. McCourty from Rutgers is I think right up there with Wilson.

I took a look for yucks at when the 2010 pro bowl corners were drafted.

1.31 Asomugha
1.14 Revis
1.7 Bailey
4.23 Samuel
1.4 C. Woodson
1.16 Rodger-Cromartie
1..5 Newman
1.25 Jenkins

5 of these were the #1 corner taken. I was expecting this data to refute the need to go corner in the 1st but now I agree with you.

EXACTLY. Ive tried bringing that up before but a lot of people ignore that statistic, but the fact of the matter is Asante Samuel and Al Harris are literally the ONLY notable CB's in the NFL today taken outside of the first round. CB is easily our biggest need right now, and dont get me wrong I completely understand the "Best Player Available" argument unless somebody projected to go t10 falls to us Kyle Wilson/Earl Thomas could EASILY be argued to be the BPA up there with the linemen and linebackers people keep insisting we should draft, so why take somebody to replace somebody down the line when we can take the BPA AND address our biggest immediate need? (and yes, CB is a bigger need than the OL right now)

pete74
04-15-2010, 05:39 AM
i would love to grab pouncey in the 1st but then again there are about 5 people i would be happy with in the 1st

Galax Steeler
04-15-2010, 05:41 AM
i would love to grab pouncey in the 1st but then again there are about 5 people i would be happy with in the 1st

Agreed the first round of this years draft is loaded with talent. It is hard to just key in on one player this year.

supa_fly_steeler
04-15-2010, 07:44 AM
2 interceptions over a 5000 yard offense is a far greater need imo

pancake
04-15-2010, 03:36 PM
I would be fine with Pouncey if we traded back in the 20's and grabbed him. maybe picking up another 2nd round pick, but at 18 I want Kyle Wilson...