PDA

View Full Version : How does Holmes trade impact Steelers’ draft plans?

mesaSteeler
04-12-2010, 11:02 PM
How does Holmes trade impact Steelers’ draft plans?
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/04/12/how-does-holmes-trade-impact-steelers-draft-plans/
(There is a video with this. Check the URL if interested. - mesa)

Posted: April 12th, 2010 | Frank Tadych | Tags: Brian Baldinger, Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, Kyle Wilson, Maurkice Pouncey, Mike Iupati, Mike Wallace, Pat Kirwan, Santonio Holmes

Now that Santonio Holmes has been jettisoned (couldn’t resist with that one), how does Sunday’s trade impact the Steelers’ draft plans?

With Holmes, it was widely thought the Steelers would address needs at cornerback or along the offensive line with the No. 18 pick. In fact, in all three of our in-house mock drafts, Boise State CB Kyle Wilson was the pick for the Steelers. Connections have also been made to G/T Mike Iupati and G/C Maurkice Pouncey.

Even with the stated belief in Mike Wallace after a fine rookie season, there’s now a void at receiver for the Steelers, a definite “need” to address in the draft for a team that historically drafts by taking the best player available. As it stands, Wallace is in line to join Hines Ward (now 34) in the starting lineup, with Antwaan Randle El, Arnaz Battle and Limus Sweed as the backups.

Pat Kirwan noted in his weekly chat Monday he now wouldn’t be surprised to see the Steelers look to Georgia Tech WR Demaryius Thomas at No. 18, given that Dez Bryant would be off the board.

An interesting opinion floated by analyst Brian Baldinger is that the Steelers want to get back to a run-focused offense next season, lending credence to taking an interior lineman with their first pick. The Steelers hold 11 picks, giving them plenty of ammunition to manuever in the draft.

Following the trade of Holmes, it seems the Steelers at the very least have put themselves in the market for a receiver in the early rounds.

tony hipchest
04-12-2010, 11:40 PM
i sure hope santurdio doesnt affect our draft. we are finally in position to address defensive depth and maybe even get a top db we havent had since polamalu.

with all the needs this team has had, another wr just pisses me off.

while i usually agree with pat kirwan, his recent stance is we need to take d. thomas, and t. pike with our 1st and 2nd/(or early 3rd), respectively.

if arians cant work with the offensive skill position players he already gots, then he is beyond hope.

if the steelers dont like s. holmes twitter douchbaggery, they better not check out what "big time" bill gay is up to in his twitter lyfe, because it is much of the same. a player who can possibly be a top nickelback and fill in if troy or clark gets hurt would seem to be the BPA if you ask me.

townsend, carter, and possibly gay are nearing the end of their careers in the black and gold.

we already got ball catchers.

pancake
04-13-2010, 05:39 AM
3rd round or later we might grab a WR.

wdsteel
04-13-2010, 06:19 AM
i dont want to see a WR till 4 or 5...and 4 is if someone drops to us

supa_fly_steeler
04-13-2010, 06:32 AM
I don't think Holmes affects our draft.

But this is significant for Limas.

He gets 1 last chance, when i mean last, it's make or break year for him to be a good reciever or someone who's unemplyed watching the steelers on sundays thinking "what if i caught that".

whatdoiknow
04-13-2010, 10:22 AM
I mean since the HYPOCRITE Steelers are soooo concerned about " Character ",,,then Isn't it obvious ?
The Steelers HAVE to draft Texas WR Jordan Shippley. The dude may not be fast..( 4.68 forty )...or Athletic.
But he IS a confirmed Christian. And has never ever had a Beer or any other Alcoholic drink,,or even a soda for that matter. I mean the dude IS GOD!! So the Steelers NEED to take the good " White " kid,,,rather than those Horrid Ghetto raised " Black " kids. I mean they are nothing but trouble,,,right ? ( Insert Sarcasm here )

steelerdave1969
04-13-2010, 12:03 PM
I think he does affect this draft whether anyone likes it or not. I started a thread a good while back saying that I thought the Steelers needed to take a WR early in the draft . . but not in the 1st round. Now I hope that we get our OL and Secondary taken care of in the 1st 2 rounds, but I guess we will have to wait n see. Good luck to Holmes until he faces the Steelers this season.

steelerdave1969
04-13-2010, 12:06 PM
I mean since the HYPOCRITE Steelers are soooo concerned about " Character ",,,then Isn't it obvious ?
The Steelers HAVE to draft Texas WR Jordan Shippley. The dude may not be fast..( 4.68 forty )...or Athletic.
But he IS a confirmed Christian. And has never ever had a Beer or any other Alcoholic drink,,or even a soda for that matter. I mean the dude IS GOD!! So the Steelers NEED to take the good " White " kid,,,rather than those Horrid Ghetto raised " Black " kids. I mean they are nothing but trouble,,,right ? ( Insert Sarcasm here )

Maybe its just me, but I dont remember anyone making this thing a Racist thing bud. Nothing wrong with trying to live your life right and going to church and being a born again Christian either.

Set-Man
04-13-2010, 08:50 PM

Did I miss something?

taztroy43
04-13-2010, 09:06 PM

:chuckle:...