PDA

View Full Version : The Steelers front office Drops the Ball AGAIN

wiz1120
04-12-2010, 11:54 PM
I don't understand what the FO is doing. There are a couple of points that just don't make any sense, and I haven't really said anything up until this point.

First, let me just say that I agree that Holmes needed to go. No doubt about it, it should have been his final mistake as a Steeler. But why not shop the guy around? I keep reading reports that the Steelers were only contacted by the Jets on Sunday, and they made the deal Sunday night. I keep reading articles around the league, (i'll find them if you really don't believe me) that they could have gotten more. Not only this, but to trade him to a team in the AFC?? This was a terrible move by the Front Office.

Not only this, I am confused by their whole "held to a higher standards thing". It seems as though some players are disciplined, (holmes, wilson), and others aren't (harrison, roethlisberger). Now I am in no way saying ben deserves to be punished, but judging by the history of the Steelers, why did they put up with the off the field problems of Harrison but not Holmes or Cedrick Wilson?

There is a disclaimer here. I am in no way ripping the front office for their discipline policy, I just wish they were more consistent in what they do.

Psyychoward86
04-12-2010, 11:56 PM
harrison: He has been cooperative through his ordeals, and seems to be done with that crap

ben: he's the best QB for us since Bradshaw. It's hard to move a stalwart

wiz1120
04-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Harrison did swing at somebody in the Super Bowl, and I really hope he's done with that crap too..

But it's still inconsistent discipline

SteelCityMom
04-13-2010, 12:01 AM
All the reports I have heard have said that the Jets offered the best pick and that the Steelers were going to cut him anyway if they couldn't trade him. They made a good move IMO.

The Steelers were prepared to release wide receiver Santonio Holmes had they not been able to trade him, sources told the Post-Gazette today.

They took the best deal they could find late Sunday night -- a fifth-round choice in the April 22-24 draft from the New York Jets. It was the best offer they received after talking to a number of other NFL teams about trading Holmes.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10102/1049772-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

tony hipchest
04-13-2010, 12:03 AM
I keep reading articles around the league, (i'll find them if you really don't believe me) that they could have gotten more.

please do...

the fact that the bears didnt jump all over this deal tells me all i need to know.

steelerjim58
04-13-2010, 12:04 AM
I'm curious to know why so many of you believe that the team or the commissioner should punish players for actions that happen off the field and aren't related to their job. As long as they are able to show up for work I don't care what they do off the field.

wiz1120
04-13-2010, 12:05 AM
Come on, we all know the Cardinals would have given a fourth up for him!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

tony hipchest
04-13-2010, 12:07 AM
I'm curious to know why so many of you believe that the team or the commissioner should punish players for actions that happen off the field and aren't related to their job. As long as they are able to show up for work I don't care what they do off the field.im sure the league has a plan in place to redefine its rules according to what you care about. :coffee:

d2609j
04-13-2010, 12:07 AM
The fact that he was to be suspended for the 1st four games hurt the steelers bargaining power. Lets face it we would have had him for 12 games this year, and thats it. No way he was going to be renew after this year.

steelerdude15
04-13-2010, 12:09 AM
James didn't have the intent to hit his girlfriend. James wanted to have his child baptized and she didn't want that to happen so they go into an argument and he slapped her. Wilson had the intention to hit his wife, he went to a bar and just punched her in the mouth. Ben is innocent in both cases.

wiz1120
04-13-2010, 12:09 AM
I can't find any articles saying what teams were offering because we won't really know, he was only on the market for a couple of hours.

I was just reading an article on SI.com about how the Steelers could have gotten more if they wanted

JackHammer
04-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Harrison did swing at somebody in the Super Bowl, and I really hope he's done with that crap too..

But it's still inconsistent discipline

He swung an open hand at a guy who attempted to cut him at his knees. Dude deserved it and I'm glad Harrison dealt a little bit of swift justice.

wiz1120
04-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Why not hold on to Santonio for the week and see what happens?

This had to have something to do with the DA's announcement of Ben's Case the next day. That's the only thing that makes sense

RoethlisBURGHer
04-13-2010, 12:14 AM
Holmes has been in trouble multiple times since he's been drafted.

The big thing here was the drug use. He either failed or missed a previous drug test before to be put into the substance abuse program. Then there was being caught with marijuana filled blunts in 2008, which earned him a 1 game suspension with pay. He promised Tomlin and the Rooneys after that, that he would not use drugs or have them on him. He failed that promise by failing or not showing up for a drug test.

Harrison had his one incident, and that was it. He hasn't had any off-field transgressions since.

Ben has been accused, not found guilty. The woman in Nevada, most of is agree, is most likely lying and and is a psycho. If the DA can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Ben raped this girl, I don't see why he should be thrown off the team for having consensual sex.

Wilson walked into a bar and straight up punched his ex in the face. This was after an incident involving the same woman.

SteelCityMom
04-13-2010, 12:15 AM
I can't find any articles saying what teams were offering because we won't really know, he was only on the market for a couple of hours.

I was just reading an article on SI.com about how the Steelers could have gotten more if they wanted

WPXI was reporting that they had started talking to other teams about the trade Friday...so they had more than a couple hours. And no, they aren't going to tell you what every single team they talked to offered. All the FO is saying is that the Jets offer was the best, so they went with it. It's better than getting nothing from him by cutting him (which is what they were going to do if they couldn't trade him).

fansince'76
04-13-2010, 12:16 AM

This had to have something to do with the DA's announcement of Ben's Case the next day. That's the only thing that makes sense

Or the little matter of the league announcing his 4-week suspension today may have hastened things a bit.

SteelCityMom
04-13-2010, 12:17 AM

They traded him before the NFL announced that he was going to be suspended for 4 games...that's why they were quick about it.

wiz1120
04-13-2010, 12:17 AM
For all the Pirate fans out there, did any of you get that feeling in your stomach?

You know, where the player's in the last year of his contract, and the team lets him go for practically nothing.

I KNOW, it's not the same situation, but when I first saw the news, that Pirate feeling appeared right in the bottom of my stomach.

tony hipchest
04-13-2010, 12:21 AM
I keep reading articles around the league, (i'll find them if you really don't believe me) that they could have gotten more.
:rolleyes:

he was on the market for much more than the "few hours" you suggest he was.

come correct or dont come at all.

wiz1120
04-13-2010, 12:26 AM
:rolleyes:

come correct or dont come at all.

You really think that a super bowl MVP in the prime of his career isn't worth more than a 5th round pick?

You really think the FO got the best possible deal from this?

I'm sorry, I just view this as a frustration move by the front office.

SteelCityMom
04-13-2010, 12:27 AM
:wtf:

You know what...I may be a little tipsy, but methinks we're in the presence of a nasty Cardinals troll.

Be gone troll!

fansince'76
04-13-2010, 12:29 AM
:wtf:

You know what...I may be a little tipsy, but methinks we're in the presence of a nasty Cardinals troll.

Be gone troll!

Nah - with a join date of October 2007, that was a good year and a half before they had fans.

SteelCityMom
You really think that a super bowl MVP in the prime of his career isn't worth more than a 5th round pick?

And a troll who can't read to boot.

Yes, they took the best offer they could get. Either prove that wrong or be gone.

SteelCityMom
Nah - with a join date of October 2007, that was a good year and a half before they had fans.

Ahahaha ok...makes sense then.

He still can't read.

tube517
04-13-2010, 12:48 AM
There is a reason they do what they do and we do what we do. Unless your last name is Rooney, you have no say in the matter. Sure, you can be pissed and protest all you want. There are 6 big shiny trophies that this franchise earned for being the best on the planet. Yeah, I'm ticked that Sandoobio is gone. I frankly liked his play and he and Ben carried the team to its 6th trophy. But he messed up and so did Ben. We have to live with it. He had too much baggage. Is their receiving corps weakened? YES. Will they recover? YES. All my co-workers who are HUGE NFL fans respect the Steelers and NONE of them are fans. They like Philly, Dallas, NYG, and the Redskins and they would love for their teams to have the respectablity of the Steelers FO. Especially the Eagles fan who would die for just ONE Lombardi trophy.

tony hipchest
04-13-2010, 12:51 AM

I'm sorry, I just view this as a frustration move by the front office.you really think you can make claims like this w/o backing them up?-

Originally Posted by wiz1120

it appeas as if the steelers got what they could get and they werent interested with dicking around or haggling for nothing more.

even if we dont agree, that is how they do shit and it has always been successful in the past.

last i recall we won a SB w/o porter, faneca, and buress. i will side with them and the proven method that works and allow you to have your own opinion. :hatsoff:

wiz1120
04-13-2010, 01:21 AM
"3. This happened very suddenly, too sudden for the Steelers to troll the NFL to see if they could make a better deal, which they almost certainly could have done. When I say sudden, I mean Sunday. I hear the first inkling the Jets got of this deal came in a phone call Sunday, and GM Mike Tannenbaum jumped on it."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/11/bryant/index.html#ixzz0kxFOpodC
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Peter King on SI.com, this is what I mean when I said that I didn't feel like they uncovered every stone, and they could have gotten more

wootawnee
04-13-2010, 01:21 AM
You can't smoke the Hoochie in the burgh......But its legal and not shunned in Cali.........Holmes is smoking the hooch, and the Steelers don't like it.........He also runs his mouth like a hot dog from a past team with a star on their helmet.......Check out his twitters........That is no way to teach kids......

The Hooch will be legal again though.......

steeltheone
04-13-2010, 05:47 AM
Come on, we all know the Cardinals would have given a fourth up for him!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Before making fun of the Cards...Whiz has had none of these problems....

pete74
04-13-2010, 05:56 AM
i gurentee we could of got better then a 5th round pick for Holmes if we waited but we wanted to unload him as quickly as possible and im just glad they did the right thing

with that said, i hope the jets bomb this year. they have such high expectations but i would be so happy if they finished below 500 and holmes dosnt end up with more then 500 yards

fansince'76
04-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Before making fun of the Cards...Whiz has had none of these problems....

Oh, really?

http://www.mypokertube.com/files/photos/53adaf494dc89efL.jpg

June 15, 2009 - Arizona Cardinals tight end Ben Patrick has been suspended for four games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4261608

supa_fly_steeler
04-13-2010, 06:34 AM
with the holmes trade

everyone thinks the world is coming to the end

HometownGal
04-13-2010, 06:47 AM
It's a done deal - Santo is gone, the Steelers FO feels it got the best deal out there for him and believe it or not - life really does go on. :banging:

wdsteel
04-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Miami..Ravens,Bills.Panthers,Bears,Bengals,Broncos ,Chiefs,PatsRams,Seattle,bucs,AND
you mean Al Davis didnt call?

when jets called and said i give yopu a 5th FO said thats the best we have right now...bye bye Tone.
they were not looking to get value they were looking to punish 1 of the off-field messes

wdsteel
04-13-2010, 07:05 AM
Wallace is gona be a star here and dont forget about Logan who they wanted to fine ways to use last year.Well this year you will see him more when we goto 4-5 wide witch i hope is not alot..we just need to teach Mendy to quit spinning around and go.

BritishSteel
04-13-2010, 07:09 AM
It's Done. Clearly the Steelers wanted rid as rapidly as possible and got the best deal they could given they probably had to disclose the potential 4 game suspension, the well-know discipline issues and the determination to get everything done and dusted as fast as possible. In scenarios like these, the bargaining power is with the recieving team, otherwise the FO might have hung on until Day 1 of the draft to see what chaos that generated in the hope of picking up a better offer either this year or next.

The die is cast - no-one else screws up. No-one.

WeegiesWarriors
04-13-2010, 07:16 AM
All you people crying about this trade are too caught up in the NBA and MLB trades that go on. Trades in the NFL all but vanished when the current CBA (or I guess the previous one). Once in a while you get a Jay Cutler kind of trade, but for the most part blockbuster deals don't happen. The draft is wayyyy too important to teams to trade high draft picks for off-field basket cases. Holmes is just one 53. Much less of an impact than in baseball or basketball.

Plus try and look at the Jets' leverage. They likely knew a 4 game suspension was coming, and Holmes is in the final year of his contract. There is no guarantee he'd re-sign with the Jets, so they probably came at the angle that they might only have him for 12 games. They weren't going to give up prime picks on a person that isn't reliable off the field, and whom they are only guaranteed to have available for 12 games. Also, if reports are saying that Steelers were prepared to cut Holmes then I guarantee that the rest of the NFL knew that too.

Texasteel
04-13-2010, 07:32 AM
It seems like damned if you do, and damned if you don't. I am sure that the Steelers didn't turn down a 2rd round pick from another team for a Jets 5th rounder. Some of the same people whining about the trade are the people that where whining about the direction to players seem to be going into just a few days ago. I also think that the fact that the FO what'd to get this done quickly may tell us something about the upcoming draft.

wiz1120
04-13-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm confident that we have good enough recievers in place here to make a run. I don't doubt that for a second, I was just confused by how quickly they did it.

They must have really wanted to get rid of Mr. 420