View Full Version : Steelers or NFL must suspend Roethlisberger

mesaSteeler
04-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Steelers or NFL must suspend Roethlisberger
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Matt Freed/Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10103/1049930-66.stm

The NFL suspended former Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes Monday for the first four games of the 2010 season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be lucky if he doesn't get just as much time off from the NFL or from the Rooneys for violating the sensibilities of decent people everywhere.

If Roethlisberger isn't suspended for at least two games for his despicable behavior in Milledgeville, Ga., last month, there is no justice in the NFL.

Roethlisberger appears to get that, at least. It didn't take him long to swing into damage-control mode. He made his first public appearance at Steelers headquarters Monday night and read a brief statement to the media, saying he is "truly sorry" for the negative attention he brought to the team and the league. He acknowledged he has "much work" to do to win back the trust of Steelers management, his coaches and teammates and the fans. He pledged to make all concerned "proud on all fronts."

The statement was predictable.

Too bad it didn't seem to contain much contrition.

You have to wonder what Roethlisberger sees when he looks in the mirror every morning. Here's guessing he doesn't see a 28-year-old lout who needs to grow up in a hurry and become a respectable human being. If that's the case, he's lying to himself.

Funny, "grow up" is exactly the advice Georgia district attorney Fred Bright gave Roethlisberger when he announced Monday he was not charging him in the sexual assault case involving a 20-year-old college student March 5 at a Milledgeville club because of a lack of enough evidence to get a conviction and because the alleged victim didn't want to pursue the case.

Never have two more appropriate words been uttered about anyone.

They are worth repeating:

"Grow up."

Bright portrayed Roethlisberger as a real creep during his news conference. He said Roethlisberger "provided shots of alcohol" for the alleged underaged victim and her friends. He also said Roethlisberger invited the "highly intoxicated" alleged victim into the club's VIP area and later followed her into a small bathroom.

"Significant questions about what had occurred [after that] persist," Bright said.

The only way Roethlisberger could have looked worse Monday is if Bright had filed criminal charges against him.

"We are not condoning Mr. Roethlisberger's actions that night," Bright said. "But we do not prosecute morals. We prosecute crimes."

The NFL has no such limitations. Nor do the Steelers. It is up to one or the other to do the right thing and suspend Roethlisberger for at least two games. His immature, reprehensible behavior has done great harm to the league's brand and to the Steelers' reputation.

Saying "sorry" isn't enough.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is scheduled to meet with Roethlisberger this week. There is tremendous pressure on Goodell -- some of it racial pressure -- to take a tough position with Roethlisberger. The commissioner has earned something of a reputation for being a hanging judge in his disciplinary dealings with black players such as Michael Vick and Adam "Pac-Man" Jones. He has to know how it would look if he turns soft with a star, two-time Super Bowl-winning, white quarterback, who, clearly, has violated the league's Personal Conduct Policy.

Certainly, the league's black players will be watching closely how Goodell handles the Roethlisberger situation.

There also is pressure on the Steelers -- again, some of it racial -- to come down hard on Roethlisberger. There's no disputing that the team was tough with Holmes, a black wide receiver. A former No. 1 pick and the MVP of the Steelers' win in Super Bowl XLIII, Holmes was traded Sunday night to the New York Jets for a fifth-round draft choice. It's obvious the Steelers had tired of his equally loutish off-the-field behavior, which included four incidents involving police intervention since he was drafted in 2006, some absurd tweets on his Twitter account recently and the four-game suspension. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette reported the team was so disgusted with Holmes that it would have released him if it hadn't found a trade partner.

Certainly, the Steelers' black players will be watching closely how management handles the Roethlisberger situation.

Steelers president Art Rooney II released a statement Monday saying the team would wait until Goodell has his meeting with Roethlisberger to determine "the next steps in this process."

The next step is a suspension for Roethlisberger.

That can be the only step.

Bright put it best in his "grow-up" lecture to Roethlisberger.

"Come on, you're supposed to stand for something. You need to be a role model for your team, your city, the NFL. You can do better."
Ron Cook: rcook@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10103/1049930-66.stm#ixzz0kx9W2NiT

JackHammer
04-13-2010, 01:06 AM
He has to know how it would look if he turns soft with a star, two-time Super Bowl-winning, white quarterback, who, clearly, has violated the league's Personal Conduct Policy.[/B]

NFL Personal Conduct Policy as per ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2798214)

Everyone read that and tell me how Ben "cleary" violated the policy. I'm thinkin Ron Ron should do his homework.

Merchant
04-13-2010, 01:07 AM
Suspended for what? He didn't do anything wrong. He was just unfortunate to have a drunk college chick try and take advantage of him. Holmes got suspended because of the drug thing.

But in a worst-case scenario, I'm glad we have Dixon and Batch.

The Duke
04-13-2010, 01:46 AM
He has to know how it would look if he turns soft with a star, two-time Super Bowl-winning, white quarterback, who, clearly, has violated the league's Personal Conduct Policy.

So much wong about this sentence

Like jackhammer said, how exactly did he "clearly" violate the policy. And, why does everything have to be turned to a racial issue?

bozz723
04-13-2010, 01:49 AM
suspended for living his life and drinking? Yea ok Ron. He did nothing wrong, he shouldn't be suspended. Is everyone ****ing nuts?

Steeldude
04-13-2010, 01:55 AM
ron cook is being controversial to get readers. this was a weak attempt at it.

steelerdude15
04-13-2010, 02:26 AM
Is everyone ****ing nuts?
Yes, apparently so. I still believe there shouldn't be a suspension based upon the information that we know at this point. Now, during the D.A.'s press conference, he said that there was blood coming from the genital area... who knows, if something happened, it could have been too rough. There is a world of possibilities, we may never know what happened in that bathroom. I'm glad that he is legally cleared, which is the most important part. I'm pretty sure Ben will face consequences from both the NFL and the Steelers. The one thing that makes me sick is the fact about the body guard lead the accuser down in the bathroom and stood outside while the "meeting" happened. There are plenty of inconsistencies in her story, she was drinking, she was seen in other photos in other bars, and her stories were changing every time she was interviewed. Maybe she realized she made a mistake trying to accuse of something that didn't happen or maybe she was too intoxicated to realized what had happened. I don't know... I for one am already tired and frustrated about hearing this over and over and over. It's getting just as annoying as the Tiger Woods story got for me. I just hope that the Pens can do really good in the playoffs... that's all I'm hoping for.

JEFF4i
04-13-2010, 03:45 AM
Blood or not we don't even know if Ben banged her. There's no proof.

He'll probably face punishment, but it isn't nearly as clear as some would make it out to be.

SteelerFanInStl
04-13-2010, 09:00 AM
More idiotic ramblings. Just like the other article where Amani Toomer says that Ben should be suspended for 8 games! even though he's never been arrested and never been charged with a crime.

pete74
04-13-2010, 09:04 AM
suspended for living his life and drinking? Yea ok Ron. He did nothing wrong, he shouldn't be suspended. Is everyone ****ing nuts?

he most definatlu can be. read over the nfl code of conduct you you'll understand. i hope he isnt suspended but i wouldnt be surprised if he gets a 1-2 game suspension today after meeting with comish and if not the steelers may still hand it out

ysgi
04-13-2010, 09:18 AM
They had better not start handing out suspensions for being legal. Ron Cook is a bum trying to drum up readers to keep his lousy job.

Goddel better not suspend Ben. And if he does, or the Rooney's, for that matter, we should rise up and give them hell. If they do its political. There is a minor (very minor) group of people calling for Ben's head. and if this will appease them, then they might do it. But they SHOULDN'T.

If they do, Ben should SUE the accuser for his missed PAY. She started all this crap then decided that she couldn't remember if anything bad happened. We've all seen 20 yr olds and how they act - especially drunk. can you say DRAMA.

Unfortunately, everyone seems to be capitalizing off of Ben. This chick, the DA, Goddel. Anyone that can get their name in the paper an extra time is looking to crucify Ben for their own advancement. Thats just plain WRONG. Now who's getting raped?

-ysgi

SteelMember
04-13-2010, 09:26 AM
IF ben ends up with a suspension, I'm hoping it will be at the hands of the Steelers and Mr. Rooney.

The fact that Roger may do it because he feels pressure is bs to me.

LamarrWoodleysFade
04-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Man, some of you all are clearly showing how biased you are. Ben SHOULD be suspended, and that's that.

Why is the girl still being brought up in a discussion about HIS behavior? That is done. He's not going to be charged. We are now talking about HIS actions and HIS behavior, which have not been model for a Leauge who prides it's self on image...

fansince'76
04-13-2010, 09:33 AM
Goddel better not suspend Ben. And if he does, or the Rooney's, for that matter, we should rise up and give them hell.

How? By bitching about it on a message board? :chuckle:

I'm all for a suspension, provided it's handed down by the Rooneys and if it'll shut the holier-than-thou, self-righteous bashers the hell up once and for all.

pete74
04-13-2010, 09:37 AM
i hope we dont suspend him but i would bet its coming. there going to have to make an example out of him or alot of other players are going to complain. i just hope its only for a game or 2

Steel_12
04-13-2010, 09:38 AM
He should be suspended and the Commish should feel pressure. Goodell made it this way and he has to live with the precendent he set. If he doesn't take action against Ben, the black players could boycott and we all know how big of a percentage black players are in the NFL...of course, that's a worst-case scenerio.

Everything is racial...if you haven't figured that out by now, what have you been doing all of your life!?

NEPAsteeler
04-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Bottom line is that Ben continues to put himself into situations that do nothing but get him into trouble. I definitely believe that he needs some sort of punishment to hopefully get him to wise the hell up.

SteelMember
04-13-2010, 09:39 AM
if it'll shut the holier-than-thou, self-righteous bashers the hell up once and for all.

It won't, because whatever they hand down won't be enough.

If he gets 1 game, it should have been 2.
If he gets 2 games, it should have been 4.

When the hell did he make it rain, then shoot the place up?

memphissteelergirl
04-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Man, some of you all are clearly showing how biased you are. Ben SHOULD be suspended, and that's that.

Why is the girl still being brought up in a discussion about HIS behavior? That is done. He's not going to be charged. We are now talking about HIS actions and HIS behavior, which have not been model for a Leauge who prides it's self on image...

Agreed. The Rooneys and/or the league have to send the message that they are not willing to let Ben skate for his off field behavior. Please understand...I know that Ben is a young man who likes to go out and have fun, and I have no problem with him doing so. But he has to remember that he represents a reputable sports franchise as well as an entire league. And I'm sorry a 28 year old man has NO business trolling a bar where (possibly underaged) college co-eds hang out. Period.

I'm no fan of Goodell by any stretch of the imagination, but I would have no problem with him putting the hammer down on Ben. After all, what's it gonna look like if the Rooneys are willing to let Ben get by with his mess and yet willing to trade Santo? Yes, I know Holmes violated the league drug policy, but it's all about perception, folks.

Shoes
04-13-2010, 09:43 AM

I'm all for a suspension, provided it's handed down by the Rooneys and if it'll shut the holier-than-thou, self-righteous bashers the hell up once and for all.

I agree, it should be the Rooneys call.

ysgi
04-13-2010, 09:48 AM

I just emailed Goddell and let him know how the REAL world thinks. We can't sit by and let Ben get assulted for nothing.

Why should he be suspended to appease those 'headline readers'. People that barely followed the case. Spewing off crap about this being a MORAL league and all. Well its nice to see they bought into all that. Wow, if I could go thru life so oblivious - it would be easy.

I don't want a suspension PERIOD. There is no reason for it. If its illegal, then by all means. But if its legal, live your life. Wear a helmet or not, have unprotected sex. who the hell are WE to tell this man how to live. AGAIN... HE OWES US NOTHING.
What would YOU say to HIM if he told you to take a WEEK's PAY and throw it away for being ACCUSED then CLEARED. You would tell him to P*ss-up-a-rope.

-ysgi

ysgi
04-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Agreed. The Rooneys and/or the league have to send the message that they are not willing to let Ben skate for his off field behavior. Please understand...I know that Ben is a young man who likes to go out and have fun, and I have no problem with him doing so. But he has to remember that he represents a reputable sports franchise as well as an entire league. And I'm sorry a 28 year old man has NO business trolling a bar where (possibly underaged) college co-eds hang out. Period.

I'm no fan of Goodell by any stretch of the imagination, but I would have no problem with him putting the hammer down on Ben. After all, what's it gonna look like if the Rooneys are willing to let Ben get by with his mess and yet willing to trade Santo? Yes, I know Holmes violated the league drug policy, but it's all about perception, folks.

Exactly who is responsible for making sure this chick is of age? Ben ???
He turned 28. It was his birthday. Are you saying bars are for 21 to 25 year olds only? Who are you to make that call? Is it illegal to go to a bar is you are 28?? Oh man am I in trouble.
He should be getting an apology from you rather than a pointed finger.

Again - What did he do wrong? I missed that part.

-ysgi

Steel_12
04-13-2010, 09:55 AM
I just emailed Goddell and let him know how the REAL world thinks. We can't sit by and let Ben get assulted for nothing.

Why should he be suspended to appease those 'headline readers'. People that barely followed the case. Spewing off crap about this being a MORAL league and all. Well its nice to see they bought into all that. Wow, if I could go thru life so oblivious - it would be easy.

I don't want a suspension PERIOD. There is no reason for it. If its illegal, then by all means. But if its legal, live your life. Wear a helmet or not, have unprotected sex. who the hell are WE to tell this man how to live. AGAIN... HE OWES US NOTHING.
What would YOU say to HIM if he told you to take a WEEK's PAY and throw it away for being ACCUSED then CLEARED. You would tell him to P*ss-up-a-rope.

-ysgi

That's all well and good but the NFL is a business. Like Memphis Steeler Girl said, it's about perception. Why would you take the chance to lose fans or employees for the sake of one individual who clearly violates the NFL conduct policy? Let's not be homers...

ysgi
04-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Im not a homer. I dont even really like the guy as a QB. But right-is-right and wrong-is-wrong.

So what did Ben do wrong?

Well he, um, he should, um, he didn't need to go, um ..... Well, I don't know. - Thats a good question.

Have you ever been to a pre-game tailgate. Most of those yinzers CLEARLY violate a conduct policy.
Going to a bar and NOT getting arrested after being questioned by police, does not violate any policy in my book.

Gnutella
04-13-2010, 10:03 AM

He embarrassed himself, the team and the league -- and the fans and the city by extension. That's what he did wrong.

LamarrWoodleysFade
04-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Im not a homer. I dont even really like the guy as a QB. But right-is-right and wrong-is-wrong.

Well he, um, he should, um, he didn't need to go, um ..... Well, I don't know. - Thats a good question.

Have you ever been to a pre-game tailgate. Most of those yinzers CLEARLY violate a conduct policy.
Going to a bar and NOT getting arrested after being questioned by police, does not violate any policy in my book.

You obviously don't get it. Him going to a young, college bar and making an ass of himself is noting compared to fans tailgating.

He is one of the faces of the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAUGE. This is not the AFL or UFL or some bullshit ass minor league. He represents YOUR Pittsburgh Steelers, and while you might not feel like he didn't do anything wrong, the Commish and the Rooneys think otherwise, and he did.

This isn't about him raping a girl or not, this is about him putting himself in that position AGAIN after being accused of the crime once already. That, sorry to say, isn't model behavior. It's STUIPD as hell and he needs a wake up call. I don't want him to be suspended, but if it meant that he would get his act together and learn that this opportunity he has shouldn't taken for granted, I'm all for it...

memphissteelergirl
04-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Exactly who is responsible for making sure this chick is of age? Ben ???
He turned 28. It was his birthday. Are you saying bars are for 21 to 25 year olds only? Who are you to make that call? Is it illegal to go to a bar is you are 28?? Oh man am I in trouble.
He should be getting an apology from you rather than a pointed finger.

Again - What did he do wrong? I missed that part.

-ysgi

Seriously...you need a Valium or something. Calm the hell down.

Again, I have no problem with Ben going out with his friends to have a good time, but at 28 and given his public status (not to mention after the alledged incident in Nevada), he should have used more discretion and more sense. And don't give me that "boys will be boys" BS! And just for the record, I think "Ms. Thing" as I will call the so-called victim (as I do not know her real name) bears as much responsibility in this mess as Ben does. She made the choice to drink herself dumb and go in that restroom, true enough. She did something stupid and she didn't want to take responsibility for it, so she cried rape at the insistence of her dimwit friends, apparently. But again, Ben should not have even put himself in that situation to make it even APPEAR that he took advantage of her.

I don't owe Ben an apology. As a 30-plus year fan of this team he owed me one, and he gave one yesterday. Fine, he apologized. But respect is earned, and IMO he's going to have to work overtime to earn mine back. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'm not perfect, and I don't profess to be, so please....don't try to paint as some holier-than-thou prude. You don't know me, aiight? But I do try to live my life within the bounds of the law and all around human decency. I don't think it's too much to ask that the face of the pro football team I have loved since I was a girl do the same.

Dino 6 Rings
04-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Ben followed a clearly drunk girl that was lead by a bodyguard into a private bathroom and had his way with her. She was "the drunk girl" at the party.

I don't know about you other Men in this forum, but me and my friends, always circled the wagons around the Drunk Girl and protected her from the "frat guys" that would try to manipulate the situation and take advantage of her intoxicated state. We would protect the "drunk girl" and always keep an eye on her and always be sure she never was used or abused in her awful state of mind.

Ben did NOT do that. Ben took advantage of the "drunk girl" at the party. Was it assault? was it rape? most likely no, it wasn't "rape" but it was immature, and down right not Manly to take advantage of a drunk girl in a VIP Bathroom of a club at 2am in the morning. Pathetic.

Be a Man, get some real action, go date a real woman that already has an established life and carreer. Stop chasing the "drunk girl" at the party. Next time, She might have a brother watching and then, when he smashes your knees in with a baseball bat, where will you be Ben?

Dino 6 Rings
04-13-2010, 11:03 AM
In my opinion, 2 Game suspension and a $100,000 fine.

That's fair. and sends a clear message.

Steelers>NFL
04-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Ben followed a clearly drunk girl that was lead by a bodyguard into a private bathroom and had his way with her. She was "the drunk girl" at the party.

I don't know about you other Men in this forum, but me and my friends, always circled the wagons around the Drunk Girl and protected her from the "frat guys" that would try to manipulate the situation and take advantage of her intoxicated state. We would protect the "drunk girl" and always keep an eye on her and always be sure she never was used or abused in her awful state of mind.

Ben did NOT do that. Ben took advantage of the "drunk girl" at the party. Was it assault? was it rape? most likely no, it wasn't "rape" but it was immature, and down right not Manly to take advantage of a drunk girl in a VIP Bathroom of a club at 2am in the morning. Pathetic.

Be a Man, get some real action, go date a real woman that already has an established life and carreer. Stop chasing the "drunk girl" at the party. Next time, She might have a brother watching and then, when he smashes your knees in with a baseball bat, where will you be Ben?
Bradshaw said it best when he said Ben was NOT a good looking man.
So this explains why he did what he did. Women come to him because of his fame and celebrity status. And he used and abuse his celebrity power on a drunk women.
Either he needs to turn gay :sofunny:, or find a woman and get married :noidea:.

Steelers>NFL
04-13-2010, 11:14 AM
In my opinion, 2 Game suspension and a $100,000 fine.

That's fair. and sends a clear message.
2 games was exaclty my thought as well. Fine would not hurt either.

kittenfantastico76
04-13-2010, 11:16 AM
I wish we could save all this drama for more important things like the upcoming season or maybe even Raven's games but ... this is the hand that Ben has been dealt.

I'm a HUGE fan of Ben's but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in his behavior. It just doesn't look good. I'm not saying he did do anything wrong (since the case is dismissed) but I'm not saying he DIDN'T do anything wrong either. This is the 2nd accusation in a small amount of time. Sure people get drunk and there are misunderstandings but in his line of work he has a reputation to uphold AND a company to think about. I'm sure if I went out to a club, got messed up and got into this kind of trouble my company would have plenty to say about it, hell I might even get fired. Ben isn't above anyone else on earth or in the franchise, that's the bottom line. He should have to do something to make-up for his actions.

As a woman you have no idea how hard this has been on me - he's my favorite QB - the thought of having to give up my respect for him has been questioned every time. Each time I've taken the stand of - it ain't over until the fat lady sings. Thankfully this came out on the high side of things but being his 2nd stand with this type of behavior there's only so many times I can say "Oh it's just a money crazy girl trying to mess with him." I hope that makes sense. I'm happy he's had all of this dropped, but I agree he does need to GROW UP! He may only be 28 but last time I checked that was an ADULT age.

He has a high profile life, people are going to talk, people are going to observe. And it's not just going to be about him about about the entire group of people who are related and involved with the Steelers.

What I don't agree with completely right now is the whole racial tone taken with this article. That makes me so angry. I don't care if Ben is white, black, purple yada yada yada - they need to look at what he's been accused of, how he's handled it and behaved and go from there. I don't put him in the same circle as Michael Vick, they were accused of 2 different things - although both are things I'm passionate about bringing to an end (animal abuse and domestic/sexual/etc abuse to women)... needless to say I don't care if Michael Vick was a white man, I'd still come down as hard on him as I would on a man or woman of any other race.

*hates when the race card is tossed up* I hope that this is all handled professionally, and to the fullest extent needed in Ben's circumstances, not being compared to others.

I think that Ben needs to man-up, take whatever comes his way and then get over this and get his A$$ on the field and get ready for the 2010 season.

Enough with the clubs guys... seriously.

P.S. I meant to say... I'm happy that Ben was not charged in the past events. It makes me feel a lot better not only about him but about the whole situation - what I think he needs to be held accountable for is tarnishing the Steelers franchise's integrity and their overall worth with his actions. And if that means shedding some "Tebow tears" I'm ok with that ;) just kidding.

Michael Keller
04-13-2010, 11:33 AM
I watch more and more people in sports , in politics and life in general saying such irrelevant statements such as "the black players (people)are going to be watching this situation" . Comments like Toomer are clearly racism in reverse. Enough of this.

From what i know, I think the following.:
Ben has a problem with authority period. That is why he doesn"t like Ken Whisenhutt , seemed to struggle with Bill Cowhernot giving his the independence he wanted,

Ben has a problem Drinking . He doesn't know when to stop. Thus Ben needs to be strongly disciplinned , meaning suspended a number of games perhaps 2 to 4 games . Provide Ben with serious consistent substance abuse counseling and counseling in general.

Ben has much to offer not only the Steelers but the community in general and he is young enough to achieven greatnesss and to be a prime example of Growing Up and being a leader everybody he mentioned in his press conference can be proud of , especially yoiung people.

It is not about keeping black people happy . That is bullshit is irrelevant and possibly racist in of itself. It is about responsbility and good behavior and Ben clearly needs to be guided and guided very strongly. He is actually in a great place in his life because he has much to offer.

Perhaps he should meet with Tony Dungy. IMy racism is washing away.

vasteeler
04-13-2010, 11:40 AM
i guess its just me but i dont think he needs any suspension....he did nothing wrong everybodys so quick to judge him . what he does in his private life is none of our business . now if he commited a crime then its a different story.i dont buy into this " he put himself in this position" bull crap. he could be just walking down the street and some tramp says he touched her. i guess it would be his fault for walking down the street :noidea:

Steel_12
04-13-2010, 11:44 AM
I watch more and more people in sports , in politics and life in general saying such irrelevant statements such as "the black players (people)are going to be watching this situation" . Comments like Toomer are clearly racism in reverse. Enough of this.

From what i know, I think the following.:
Ben has a problem with authority period. That is why he doesn"t like Ken Whisenhutt , seemed to struggle with Bill Cowhernot giving his the independence he wanted,

Ben has a problem Drinking . He doesn't know when to stop. Thus Ben needs to be strongly disciplinned , meaning suspended a number of games perhaps 2 to 4 games . Provide Ben with serious consistent substance abuse counseling and counseling in general.

Ben has much to offer not only the Steelers but the community in general and he is young enough to achieven greatnesss and to be a prime example of Growing Up and being a leader everybody he mentioned in his press conference can be proud of , especially yoiung people.

It is not about keeping black people happy . That is bullshit is irrelevant and possibly racist in of itself. It is about responsbility and good behavior and Ben clearly needs to be guided and guided very strongly. He is actually in a great place in his life because he has much to offer.

Perhaps he should meet with Tony Dungy. IMy racism is washing away.

Racism will never go away. Black players should be watching how this unfolds because of how Goodell handled Pacman. You can say what you want to say but if he doesn't suspend Ben for a considerable amount of time, it will look like he only comes down hard on black players.

And you're right, it isn't about keeping black people happy but it is about keeping your employees happy and black players make up the greater percentage in the NFL. Goodell might be a hard-ass but he isn't stupid.

Gnutella
04-13-2010, 11:45 AM
i guess its just me but i dont think he needs any suspension....he did nothing wrong everybodys so quick to judge him . what he does in his private life is none of our business . now if he commited a crime then its a different story.i dont buy into this " he put himself in this position" bull crap. he could be just walking down the street and some tramp says he touched her. i guess it would be his fault for walking down the street :noidea:

Embarrassing himself, the Pittsburgh Steelers and his family name is doing plenty wrong, regardless of whether or not a crime was committed.

When I was younger, if I embarrassed my parents, I got my ass beat -- and I didn't necessarily have to commit a crime to embarrass them either.

vasteeler
04-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Embarrassing himself, the Pittsburgh Steelers and his family name is doing plenty wrong, regardless of whether or not a crime was committed.

When I was younger, if I embarrassed my parents, I got my ass beat -- and I didn't necessarily have to commit a crime to embarrass them either.

i guess we will have to agree to disagree. i personally dont see how having a tramp acuse you of somthing you did not do be an embarassment.So the guy likes having sex with of age women

Gnutella
04-13-2010, 11:54 AM
i guess we will have to agree to disagree. i personally dont see how having a tramp acuse you of somthing you did not do be an embarassment.So the guy likes having sex with of age women

The devil is in the details.

whatdoiknow
04-13-2010, 11:56 AM

Sir, although I do agree with you that Ben was some what dumb for even ALLOWING a situation where another woman could claim another Assault. But how can you say Ben deserves punishment like a suspension when he was exhonerated ? I mean you say Ben Embarrassed the Steelers Organazation as such. But, didn't Harrison embarrass the team when he slapped around his wife ?...did he get suspended ?
And last time I checked, peeing not once, but TWICE outside in public, and being drunk on his butt might be considered " Embarrassing " for the Steelers,,but yet,,,did Jeff Reed get suspended ? Or for that matter even criticized my the steelers media ?

And I can name, Oh about 20 other steeler players who have done simular things, and even worse things then Ben did,,and never was there a suspension. I mean we dog out Tiger Woods for being a hypocrite cause he is screwing everything around when he traded vows with his wife. And all those people say if Tiger wanted to go out and have sex with all those women, then he should not have gotten married. But then Ben, a just turned 28 SINGLE guy goes out to have fun,,,has NEVER been caught, or even accused of driving drunk. And goes out to have fun, and maybe meet some young Hot ladies, and he has sex with them, and they cry " RAPE ",,and all of a sudden BEN is the Bad guy ? When not a single bit of proof was ever brought forward.

And for that, Ben should get suspended,,,but it's okay if James Harrison throws around his wife, and yet he can start that following Sunday....whatever dude:noidea:

Tooquickrich
04-13-2010, 12:18 PM

/agree. Why is a 28 year old MAN trolling for college girls? If it was Tom Brady you all would be calling him a pervert. Just because charges weren't filed doesn't mean a crime wasn't committed.

Oh, and as for the personal conduct policy, yes it does apply. Ben has had 2 different incidents of the same kind of "dubious" behavior. As the NFL sees it being a dumbass is punishable under the policy.

When all rookies come into the NFL they have MANDATORY classes that deal with being in the NFL and not getting into these kinds of situations (as well as how to save and invest their earnings, how to deal with the fame, ect.).

I don't want Ben suspended, but I don't see any other way of the NFL to handle this.

on a side note about Ben partying........that's cool, he's more than earned it. Go hit the Bunny Ranch if you want to get laid, don't go out and get some underage girl drunk..........lol.

Michael Keller
04-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Racism will never go away. Black players should be watching how this unfolds because of how Goodell handled Pacman. You can say what you want to say but if he doesn't suspend Ben for a considerable amount of time, it will look like he only comes down hard on black players.

And you're right, it isn't about keeping black people happy but it is about keeping your employees happy and black players make up the greater percentage in the NFL. Goodell might be a hard-ass but he isn't stupid.

While I still respectfully disagree with keeping black employees happy it is at best a secondary concern. The exclusive focus should be on what can be done to guide and instruct a young man who apparently can not handle the freedom of the off season and the wealth he possess. My point is simple make decisions based upon the issues and the person directly involved and not trying to keep any group of people pacified. Quite frankly I do not think Goodel is going to consider for one moment what the black players will think. I also think most of the black players on the Steelers do not want Ben suspended.

I think Ron Cook's article is unecessary and he should have focused on what is it going to take te teach Ben to "grow up> Ther is a pattern here is Ben;'s life. It needs to be modified signifcantly . Discipline and consequences can have value for a person upon whom they are placed . It has nothing to do with appeasement..

Ben is not to be punished per se but to be effectively made aware that he must make some positive changes. He does not need to think for one moment iif action is taken that they did this to me to keep black players happy. I think Ben is hard headed (in some ways that makes him the great athlete he is) and he has to get the message cloud and clear. Again this guy could be one of the great ones but change is very hard for some people and from what I have observed Ben could be hard to reach. Thats my, point focus on what is best for Ben in the long run.