PDA

View Full Version : Steelers ponder suspension of Roethlisberger

mesaSteeler
04-13-2010, 12:09 AM
Steelers ponder suspension of Roethlisberger
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10103/1049923-66.stm

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger expressed "gratitude" Monday that he was not charged with sexual assault in Georgia and sorrow for causing "disappointment and negative attention."

But his troubles might not be over. Sources have told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the Steelers are considering a suspension of their 28-year-old quarterback -- if National Football League commissioner Roger Goodell does not beat them to the punch -- even though prosecutors in Georgia announced the investigation and case against him have been dropped.

Steelers President Art Rooney II was described as "furious" by some after watching a news conference from Milledgeville, Ga., Monday afternoon that detailed in graphic terms some of Mr. Roethlisberger's escapades with a drunken 20-year-old woman. Mr. Rooney later issued a statement that the organization will consider the "next steps in this process" after consulting with Mr. Goodell. Mr. Rooney said the commissioner will meet with Mr. Roethlisberger in the next few days.

The quarterback spoke publicly for the first time since the incident with the college student in the bathroom of a club in the Georgia college town. At the Steelers South Side practice facility, reporters and photographers gathered at 7 p.m. behind a roped-off area in the locker room, where Mr. Roethlisberger, dressed in a long-sleeved maroon Nike button-down shirt and gray slacks with his blond hair slicked back, stood behind a podium and read a statement:

"I'd like to begin by expressing gratitude for the thorough investigation process in Georgia and the prosecutor's decision not to bring charges. I know without a doubt it is the right conclusion. I don't intend to discuss any details related to the events in Georgia. I am happy to put this behind me and move forward.

"I am truly sorry for the disappointment and negative attention I have brought to my family, my teammates and coaches, the Rooneys and the NFL. I understand that the opportunities I have been blessed with are a privilege, and that much is expected of me as the quarterback of Pittsburgh Steelers. I absolutely want to be the leader this team deserves, valued in the community and a role model to kids. I have much work to do to earn this trust, and I am committed to improving and showing everyone my true values.

"I am excited to get back to work with my teammates, and I am more determined than ever to have a great season. I intend to make my family, friends and the Steeler Nation proud on all fronts."

Mr. Roethlisberger took no questions from the gathered media of about 50. It was the second time in nine months he had read a statement from a podium at the Steelers facility in response to a sexual assault claim by a woman. However, while coach Mike Tomlin and personnel head Kevin Colbert stood in the front of the room in obvious support of their quarterback while he faced the media last summer, Mr. Roethlisberger stood alone Monday. He was sued last year by a woman in Nevada who claims he sexually assaulted her. He was not criminally charged in that case.

While Fredric D. Bright, the district attorney of the Ocmulgee Judicial Circuit in Georgia, said he will not prosecute this case, he revealed some graphic details of what happened the night of March 4 and early morning hours of March 5 in a Milledgeville, Ga., nightclub.

"We are not condoning Mr. Roethlisberger's actions that night," Mr. Bright said at a news conference. "But we do not prosecute morals, we prosecute crimes."

The NFL and the Steelers, however, can punish the quarterback based on the league's conduct policy and a team's possible claim to conduct detrimental to the ballclub. One of the possible issues is Mr. Bright's conclusion that Mr. Roethlisberger could have been cited for providing alcohol to a minor.

Multiple Steelers sources indicated that Mr. Rooney is considering various types of punishment for his quarterback, including suspension from a game or games in 2010. It's also possible the NFL could take that decision out of Mr. Rooney's hands by issuing a suspension under the league's conduct policy.

In his statement, Mr. Rooney said:

"During the past few weeks I have met with Ben on a number of occasions, not only to discuss this incident but also to discuss his commitment to making sure something like this never happens again.

"The Pittsburgh Steelers take the conduct of players and staff very seriously. Ben will now have to work hard to earn back the respect and trust of Steelers fans, and to live up to the leadership responsibilities we all expect of him."

Some of the raw details of the incident last month might only strengthen the case against him by the league and the Steelers.

Mr. Bright said he could not pursue the case because he did not believe he could prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

The NFL and/or the Steelers, however, do not need such proof.

Mr. Goodell, during the NFL meetings in Orlando, Fla., last month, said, "We are concerned that Ben continues to put himself in this position." An NFL spokesman said the commissioner would have no further comment but would meet with Mr. Roethlisberger soon. Mr. Goodell also can require that Mr. Roethlisberger undergo counseling.

Mr. Bright said what others -- including Mr. Rooney and Mr. Goodell -- might want to tell Mr. Roethlisberger these days. Mr. Bright said if it were his son, he would tell him to "grow up."

"Come on, you're supposed to stand for something," Mr. Bright said.

"You need to be a role model for your team, your city, the NFL. You can do better."

Mr. Bright concluded that, "I hope that he's learned something from this, I really do."
For more on the Steelers, read Ed Bouchette on the Steelers at www.post-gazette.com/plus. Ed Bouchette: ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10103/1049923-66.stm#ixzz0kxCXILpV

bozz723
04-13-2010, 12:46 AM
This is such a joke. suspend him for what? This is asinine.

Preacher
04-13-2010, 03:43 AM
Excellent. I say sit him for six games. Let him get his head on straight.

Seriously, he lures a drunk child, excuse me, 20 year old girl into a 5x5 bathroom, works his "magic" to get around the first "no" so that she, in a drunken stupor agrees... all the while having a SEXUAL PREDATOR TYPE CASE HANGING OVER YOUR HEAD ALREADY.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is stupid no matter how you slice it.

If the Steelers want to protect their 100 million dollar investment, they need to do it NOW. Suspend him. Let him get his head on straight and realize he is NOT bigger than the team, nor bigger than the game. Its not about legality, it is about PERCEPTION. PERIOD.

And may I suggest, Ben shuts up and listens to the only other QB to walk a similar path in Pittsburgh. Hey Ben, he knows just how fast that crowd can turn on you.

Galax Steeler
04-13-2010, 04:14 AM
I don't see where he should be suspended if he had been found guilty of his charges then I would say yes. I realize that he shouldn't put himself in those types of situations but he has a life to live. We can't keep him bottled up in Pittsburgh. Though I do agree that he should watch what he does and where he goes. He has done nothing wrong here and should not be suspended.

Gnutella
04-13-2010, 04:20 AM
Before the D.A.'s press conference, I believed that Roethlisberger shouldn't be suspended if no charges were filed against him, but I changed my mind after hearing some of the tawdry evidence. Sit his ass for no fewer than four games. He could use the extra time off to learn how to be a respectful and respectable person.

pancake
04-13-2010, 04:24 AM
I don't see where he should be suspended if he had been found guilty of his charges then I would say yes. I realize that he shouldn't put himself in those types of situations but he has a life to live. We can't keep him bottled up in Pittsburgh. Though I do agree that he should watch what he does and where he goes. He has done nothing wrong here and should not be suspended.

He wouldn't have been suspended if he had been found guilty, he would be in prison. Rape is a felony in all states.

My guess he will get 2 games and if the players union gets involved, it will be reduced to one, just like B. Marshall had last year.

Galax Steeler
04-13-2010, 04:27 AM
He wouldn't have been suspended if he had been found guilty, he would be in prison. Rape is a felony in all states.

My guess he will get 2 games and if the players union gets involved, it will be reduced to one, just like B. Marshall had last year.

You are correct I should have worded it a little different. I just don't see where he should be suspended if a crime wasn't comited.

steeltheone
04-13-2010, 04:42 AM
He needs to be sat for a minimum of 4 games....In the end,this might help him in the long run.

pete74
04-13-2010, 04:45 AM
he will probably get a 2 game suspension. it really sucks because every game will mean alot in a tight afc north division but oh well. if he isnt suspended i would be happy but surprised. in the nfl you dont have to be found guilty to be suspended and personally i wouldnt disagree with a 2 game ban in this case

zulater
04-13-2010, 05:15 AM
He should be suspended two games just for that ugly ass mullet he was sporting yesterday! :horror:

Seriously after reading Rooney's reaction would it surprise anyone if Ben ends up being traded to Buffalo or somewhere in the next couple weeks? I honestly think a fresh start might be neccessary, it just seems as if too much ill will lingers in Pittsburgh for him to continue on with the Steelers.

HometownGal
04-13-2010, 05:39 AM
As I always say - I'll let the Rooneys decide what the appropriate action should be in this case and support it. I don't believe they will trade or release him at this point, but if he gets himself into hot water again with his egomania and lack of poor judgment, I think he'll be out of Pittsburgh on his chubby little cheeks. My guess is that he gets a 2-4 game suspension from the Steelers. As to what Goodell will do - that's a crapshoot.

zulater
04-13-2010, 06:04 AM
There's absolutely no precedent for Ben to be suspended by the team or the league. As Golic keeps asking on Mike and Mike, find me the case where someone got suspended for less? You can't because it hasn't happened.

But I'm convinced Ben will be suspended by either the league or team, mostly because he's white and the pressure will be too great for them not to take action against him.

Steelers>NFL
04-13-2010, 07:03 AM
I think he does deserve 2 games suspension at most.

fat4jc
04-13-2010, 07:11 AM

Seriously, he lures a drunk child, excuse me, 20 year old girl into a 5x5 bathroom, works his "magic" to get around the first "no" so that she, in a drunken stupor agrees... all the while having a SEXUAL PREDATOR TYPE CASE HANGING OVER YOUR HEAD ALREADY.

If the Steelers want to protect their 100 million dollar investment, they need to do it NOW. Suspend him. Let him get his head on straight and realize he is NOT bigger than the team, nor bigger than the game. Its not about legality, it is about PERCEPTION. PERIOD.

And may I suggest, Ben shuts up and listens to the only other QB to walk a similar path in Pittsburgh. Hey Ben, he knows just how fast that crowd can turn on you.

Well said. I think (and hope) the team suspends him for 2-3 games. I'd rather see the Steelers do this than Goddell. It's kinda like spanking your child vs. having someone else do it for you. I just hope Goddell isn't in the spanking mood too.

wdsteel
04-13-2010, 07:30 AM
The other nfc north teams are sending their fans to try and ban him from the league.

mesaSteeler
04-13-2010, 07:31 AM
As I always say - I'll let the Rooneys decide what the appropriate action should be in this case and support it. I don't believe they will trade or release him at this point, but if he gets himself into hot water again with his egomania and lack of poor judgment, I think he'll be out of Pittsburgh on his chubby little cheeks. My guess is that he gets a 2-4 game suspension from the Steelers. As to what Goodell will do - that's a crapshoot.

I agree completely. Ben is on his last strike. I do believe he will be suspended by either the Rooney's or by Goodell but not by both. I suspect it will be the Rooneys, with a wink and a nod from Goodell. If Ben screws up again (the choice of words is deliberate) then the Goodell will suspend him.

mesaSteeler
04-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Seriously, he lures a drunk child, excuse me, 20 year old girl into a 5x5 bathroom, works his "magic" to get around the first "no" so that she, in a drunken stupor agrees... all the while having a SEXUAL PREDATOR TYPE CASE HANGING OVER YOUR HEAD ALREADY. - Preacher

I agree with this as well. This is a very UGLY incident. At least take her to a hotel room. That Ben felt entitled to do this is a very bad sign as to where his head is at. I would not be surprised if he is forced into counseling.

ysgi
04-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Ah, suspend him for what? What did he do wrong?

Preacher made up a story and you all are following it as if he was there. Maybe PREACHER is the guilty party. Seems more sensible than suspending Ben.

-ysgi

Shoes
04-13-2010, 09:12 AM

I agree, it should be the Rooneys call and I think it will be. I do think it will be at least 2 games.

ysgi
04-13-2010, 09:12 AM
- Preacher

I agree with this as well. This is a very UGLY incident. At least take her to a hotel room. That Ben felt entitled to do this is a very bad sign as to where his head is at. I would not be surprised if he is forced into counseling.

If Preacher can make SH*T up to paint a picture, then so can I.

College girls getting drunk:
Hey there's Ben Roethlisberger. God he's hot.
No he's not. But I'd let him do me for a million bux.
Well he does have a ludicrous case already hanging over his head - I bet you could get him to pay you off if you wrongly accused him of SA.
OK. I'll see if he wants to help me with my math homework in that little 5x5 room over there then I'll pretend that he assulted me and we will go to Miami for spring break.
OK.

Gimme a break, preacher

-ysgi

ysgi
04-13-2010, 09:13 AM
- Preacher

Thank you counselor. Now shut the f up.

DoubleSh0t
04-13-2010, 09:13 AM

Agreed. I also think if the Steelers take action in the form of a suspension, Goodell will let the situation go. I can't see the Steelers suspending Ben for 2 games, and then the NFL coming down and saying nope, we need 2 more games. As much as I dislike Goodell, I think he has respect enough for the Rooney's to trust in their decision on punishment.

The Steelers will not and should not trade him, it just doesn't make sense.

fansince'76
04-13-2010, 09:14 AM

Best cool it, buddy.

vasteeler
04-13-2010, 10:55 AM

while i agree with a lot of what you say

do not come in here and tell people to "shut the f up
what a childish thing to do

if i were a mod you would have been banned

Curtain_of_Steel
04-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Wow got to love the "holier than though" attitude from some.

1) First off no charges, DA could not even figure out if there ever was a crime
2) Girl didn't want to press charges
3) Girl was underaged, did BB even know it? all this made up shit here.
4) First girl in tahoe, has been defined as a freaking nut who wanted BB babies enough said there. with IM's etc stating it. Unlikely she is going to win anything. therefore he dated a whack job. His fault? We all date whackjobs, some of us marry them, lol

Does he have a problem? Probably just like all of us.lol However is it drinking? Is it sex? Is it a 28 year old super star attitude?
Of which, which is a crime? None, zero, zippo

All you guys calling for a suspension will be the first whiners when we miss the playoffs. Than who will you blame? BB?
Give him community service, instead of partying, your working it off.If the NFL suspends him he cuold easily appeal it and probably win, Rooneys suspend him, he could argue and be raded to the Raiders, lol.

There is no doubt he needs to put himself in better positions. But putting your self in those positions is still no crime. Growing up? Sure, crime? No. Just think first!. But it would be wrong to suspend him for being stupid.

steelreserve
04-13-2010, 11:17 AM
Honestly, if he does get suspended, I hope we start 4-0 and Dixon throws for 300 yards a game just to prove we can win with or without Ben. Then everybody could shut the hell up about this because it'd be mostly irrelevant.

Actually, check that, we'd probably hear even more clucking about it because then there'd be a QB controversy. Well, that's better than this junk.

steelreserve
04-13-2010, 11:18 AM
All you guys calling for a suspension will be the first whiners when we miss the playoffs. Than who will you blame? BB?

Actually, I think that's exactly what people will do.

memphissteelergirl
04-13-2010, 11:25 AM

Check yourself...seriously. You're not making a good case for yourself. You just sound like a ranting idiot.

coffeecup
04-13-2010, 11:55 AM
If Preacher can make SH*T up to paint a picture, then so can I.

College girls getting drunk:
Hey there's Ben Roethlisberger. God he's hot.
No he's not. But I'd let him do me for a million bux.
Well he does have a ludicrous case already hanging over his head - I bet you could get him to pay you off if you wrongly accused him of SA.
OK. I'll see if he wants to help me with my math homework in that little 5x5 room over there then I'll pretend that he assulted me and we will go to Miami for spring break.
OK.

Gimme a break, preacher

-ysgiRoethisberger thinking:
Young women really want me.
I'm a great QB.
We can get drunk and go in a 5 x 5 "dingy"(word used by the DA) bathroom and have sex.
This will be fun.
No one will care.

Roethlisberger forgets:
He has a sexual assault case already hanging over his head.
He is an NFL QB, not a high school or college one.
He is 28, not 18.
He has millions of dollars.
Her name. ( According to the DA, Ben didn't remember her name but remembered her when she was described to him so he forgot or never knew, her name.)
Because he is a NFL QB, 28, and has millions, it's news.
Young women will still want him, even if they aren't drunk, (but it's best if he would remember their names.)

He acts as if he was a college QB without millions, and 18-22. The DA said it right "Grow Up"

Steely McSmash
04-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Alternate take here:

Can we agree on this:

He did buy an underage girl shots and nail her in the toilet while she was completely hammered.

IMO someone who is completely hammered cannot really give consent and if you have have a brain and some decent moral fiber you wouldn't accept her consent in the first place. If you already have a physical relationship with the person it's different but with this is a stranger.

I realize it's a whole different level of debate. Some people do this all the time. Some would characterize it as rape even (not legally obviously). To me it makes him a dirtbag.

Can it really be that hard for BB to score? does he enjoy the hunt of the drunken co-ed? maybe he'd also enjoy hunting a horse in a barn?

It's certainly character un-becoming of a role model and I'd like the Steelers to sit him a couple before Goodell says squat.

stlrtruck
04-13-2010, 12:27 PM
He should be suspended two games just for that ugly ass mullet he was sporting yesterday! :horror:

So does that mean

2 games for ugly arse mullet
1 game for stupidity
1 game for not being a patriot*
1 game for conduct unbecoming

Total of 5 games?

Dino 6 Rings
04-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Depending on what Goodell does, will determine what the Rooney's do.

I figure, 2 games, will be the suspension for next year, and a fine. If Goodell doesn't impose that penalty, the Rooney's will. Bottom line, they will show that they will not tolerate any garbage going forward.

Holmes is Gone, Ben will be fined and suspended by the league or the team.

Reed had better get his head out of his arse as well. And the entire team needs to refocus on the Field and be ready for the season and cut out the crap.

The Rooneys will cut the entire roster (minus Troy cause he's a time traveling space alien from another dimension and he decides where he wants to play) and restart the entire thing over if they have to prove a point.

They have 6 Trophies, they can afford a couple down years to rebuild. They aren't in the "win it now" mentality, they are in the Be a Great Franchise Mentality.

That's the Difference.

Fire Haley
04-13-2010, 12:48 PM
I just heard a shocker.

Florio was on the Dan Patrick show and he said the commish doesn't have a legal foot to stand on to suspend Ben - no charges or arrests ever happened - it would set a bad precendent to suspend Ben for mere accusations. All the rest of NFL suspensions have followed CRIMINAL charges.

stlrtruck
04-13-2010, 02:11 PM
I just heard a shocker.

Florio was on the Dan Patrick show and he said the commish doesn't have a legal foot to stand on to suspend Ben - no charges or arrests ever happened - it would set a bad precendent to suspend Ben for mere accusations. All the rest of NFL suspensions have followed CRIMINAL charges.

Dan Patrick has been out of sports so long, he has forgotten who holds the golden key. The NFL has a conduct policy for all players to follow at all times. Pacman Jones was never charged for his incidents but he was still suspended.

Commissioner Good Deal can very well suspend and fine Ben for his stoopid actions in GA. There really is nothing that the players union or any other legal beagle can do because the conduct policy is written, imho, vaguely so that the commish can interpret to meet his non-patriots* suspending desires.

Fire Haley
04-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Hey - Big Ben got a haircut

rolling in to meet the commish

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2010/04/13/0413-roethlisberger2-tmz-video-credit.jpg

I think he should shave a cross into the side of his head - works for picking up chicks at the church picnics too

steeltheone
04-13-2010, 02:27 PM
2 games atleast....Please

Prok
04-13-2010, 02:32 PM

Seriously after reading Rooney's reaction would it surprise anyone if Ben ends up being traded to Buffalo or somewhere in the next couple weeks? I honestly think a fresh start might be neccessary, it just seems as if too much ill will lingers in Pittsburgh for him to continue on with the Steelers.

I would be extremely saddened if that were the case. People of all walks of life make mistakes. And i doubt any of us has not had lapses of judgement in our lives. It's important to remember he commited no crime. Bad judgement is not a crime in his case. He deserves the same right that all of us do to be able to overcome and learn from mistakes.

xbroughneck
04-13-2010, 02:45 PM
I would be extremely saddened if that were the case. People of all walks of life make mistakes. And i doubt any of us has not had lapses of judgement in our lives. It's important to remember he commited no crime. Bad judgement is not a crime in his case. He deserves the same right that all of us do to be able to overcome and learn from mistakes.

I agree.

If my son makes a mistake in judgement I'll punish him, and hope he learns from the experience.

I want to keep Ben, but if he got a 4 game suspension I would think it justified. He didn't have to commit a crime to get suspended. Hell, if he were caught spitting in a child's face it's not a crime, but you can bet your sweet ass he'd get suspended for that.

She was a grown woman (not a girl), yes...but the conduct of Big Ben, based on the NFL conduct clause which is open for interpretation, warrants a suspension, and I think 4 games would be enough to shut up a the rest of the league.

We'll see how well Arians offense runs without Ben improvising on the field.

Prok
04-13-2010, 03:02 PM
I agree.

If my son makes a mistake in judgement I'll punish him, and hope he learns from the experience.

I want to keep Ben, but if he got a 4 game suspension I would think it justified. He didn't have to commit a crime to get suspended. Hell, if he were caught spitting in a child's face it's not a crime, but you can bet your sweet ass he'd get suspended for that.

She was a grown woman (not a girl), yes...but the conduct of Big Ben, based on the NFL conduct clause which is open for interpretation, warrants a suspension, and I think 4 games would be enough to shut up a the rest of the league.

Yeah i have been thinking 4 game suspension for a couple weeks now. i originally thought a game or two.

I think the DA revealed so much yesterday to make a point to Ben. And unfortunately, it served dual purpose of fueling sensationalism fires.

I kinda suspected the DA would have some tough words for Ben in the original thread and ppl told me otherwise.

So i think probably a 4 game suspension will happen. What sucks is that it's probably gonna hurt us fans the most as the team will suffer without our franchise QB. It may be selfish of me but thats the way i see it. I'm all about the team doing well and finding a way for Ben to improve at same time.

Prok
04-13-2010, 03:04 PM
And BTW, Arians play-calling weakness WILL be exposed without Ben. Ya can quote me on that.

xbroughneck
04-13-2010, 03:07 PM
What sucks is that it's probably gonna hurt us fans the most as the team will suffer without our franchise QB. It may be selfish of me but thats the way i see it. I'm all about the team doing well and finding a way for Ben to improve at same time.

The team will suffer, but lets hope that the team is good enough to win with a QB that isn't as good as he. They did it Ben's first year when he wasn't as good as he is now. Let's hope the team will be talented enough to, if there is a 4 game suspension, the team can still go 3-1, or worst case scenario 2-2.

If that happens the Steelers can still have a successful season.

plenewken
04-13-2010, 03:23 PM
The team will suffer, but lets hope that the team is good enough to win with a QB that isn't as good as he. They did it Ben's first year when he wasn't as good as he is now. Let's hope the team will be talented enough to, if there is a 4 game suspension, the team can still go 3-1, or worst case scenario 2-2.

If that happens the Steelers can still have a successful season.

Well, the Steelers won their 5th Lombardi with Ben having the lowest QB rating in Superbowl history. He had a putrid 22.6 rating. Second lowest ever was Elway with 51.9

O'Donnell took the Steelers to the Superbowl and he was far from being a superstar QB. His rating against Dallas, with 2 killer INT, was much higher than Ben's against Seattle.

I won't lose sleep over Ben being suspended for a few games, not even if Ben is traded.

Preacher
04-13-2010, 03:43 PM

I do hope however, that Goodell is in communication with the Steelers. If the Rooney's decide to suspend him, then Goodell needs to support the Rooneys, instead of saying "Well, we were going to do it anyways."

Preacher
04-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Alternate take here:

Can we agree on this:

He did buy an underage girl shots and nail her in the toilet while she was completely hammered.

IMO someone who is completely hammered cannot really give consent and if you have have a brain and some decent moral fiber you wouldn't accept her consent in the first place. If you already have a physical relationship with the person it's different but with this is a stranger.

I realize it's a whole different level of debate. Some people do this all the time. Some would characterize it as rape even (not legally obviously). To me it makes him a dirtbag.

Can it really be that hard for BB to score? does he enjoy the hunt of the drunken co-ed? maybe he'd also enjoy hunting a horse in a barn?

It's certainly character un-becoming of a role model and I'd like the Steelers to sit him a couple before Goodell says squat.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

steelreserve
04-13-2010, 03:51 PM
And BTW, Arians play-calling weakness WILL be exposed without Ben. Ya can quote me on that.

You mean like they already were in the ultra-conservative Baltimore game last year? Granted, he only had a few days to prepare, but you've got to do better than that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-13-2010, 03:51 PM

Yeah, I think Goodell will give him 2 games for the mullet and another 2 for "conduct detrimental to the league".

4 games from the sideline might be enough to make him realize that he needs to re-evaluate his "morals" before they become "crimes" ........and he ends up rooming with Plaxico in the Michael Vick suite. :headshake:

zulater
04-13-2010, 05:36 PM
I agree.

Not to be argumentative, but spitting in someone's face can bring about assualt charges. It's been prosecuted more than once. :hatsoff:

zulater
04-13-2010, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I think Goodell will give him 2 games for the mullet and another 2 for "conduct detrimental to the league".

4 games from the sideline might be enough to make him realize that he needs to re-evaluate his "morals" before they become "crimes" ........and he ends up rooming with Plaxico in the Michael Vick suite. :headshake:

I think the mullet was detrimental to the league and all human life. :flap:

zulater
04-13-2010, 05:40 PM
I do hope however, that Goodell is in communication with the Steelers. If the Rooney's decide to suspend him, then Goodell needs to support the Rooneys, instead of saying "Well, we were going to do it anyways."

If he's suspended I think it will probably come from the team, the same as Santonio was in 2008. And he wont lose any game checks, therefore the union wont be able to intervene if they felt so inclined.

In fact if this happens and Ben has any sense whatsover he'll donate those checks in full to a good charity

arge5809
04-13-2010, 06:17 PM

:iagree: Finally some words of wisdom!! :iagree:

arge5809
04-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Alternate take here:

Can we agree on this:

I realize it's a whole different level of debate. Some people do this all the time. Some would characterize it as rape even (not legally obviously Oh but it can be in PA considered a Rape!; and that word was mentioned by the DA in Georgia several times during the press conference). To me it makes him a dirtbag.

:iagree: Again more words of wisdom! :applaudit:

86WARD
04-13-2010, 08:07 PM
He can't be responsible for buying an underage girl shots if she is in the bar. That is the bars responsibility, so you can throw that out the window.

86WARD
04-13-2010, 08:11 PM
The suspension should come from the Steelers and backed by the league. It would be a real good thing for the Steelers if it went down this way. It would be difficult for the League to justify the suspension because there is no precedent for something like this and the code of conduct violation wouldn't apply here because there was no conviction or legal trial. If Goodell wanted to be consistent with his policies, he would have to institute a new policy so it would mesh with the reasoning behind Ben's suspension. (See Pacman's suspension.) Goodell could suspend Ben, but there would be no consistency.

The suspension should come from the Steelers and Ben should accept it with honor...

zulater
04-13-2010, 08:11 PM
He can't be responsible for buying an underage girl shots if she is in the bar. That is the bars responsibility, so you can throw that out the window.

Yep, it would have been different if he had taken her into his bus and gave her achohol, he probably could have been criminally prosecuted and would have been no doubt.

But it's not a bar patron's job to card other customers that have been admitted to whatever place they're patronizing at the time. To expect as much is beyond ridiculous. :doh:

86WARD
04-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Could you imagine?

"Hey baby, can I buy you a drink?"

"sure."

"Can I see you ID?"

OneForTheToe
04-13-2010, 09:02 PM
The suspension should come from the Steelers and backed by the league. It would be a real good thing for the Steelers if it went down this way. It would be difficult for the League to justify the suspension because there is no precedent for something like this and the code of conduct violation wouldn't apply here because there was no conviction or legal trial. If Goodell wanted to be consistent with his policies, he would have to institute a new policy so it would mesh with the reasoning behind Ben's suspension. (See Pacman's suspension.) Goodell could suspend Ben, but there would be no consistency.

The suspension should come from the Steelers and Ben should accept it with honor...

If the suspension comes from the team I think the max is four games.

Steely McSmash
04-13-2010, 10:42 PM

I think this might have been an 18+ deal so she should have had a big X on her hand. unless she had a fake. anyone know?

Good point though:tt04:

mesaSteeler
04-13-2010, 10:50 PM

Hmmm, I smell the stink of a whining little TROLL throwing a tantrum and having a childish accident. Make sure you change your panties now that you've soiled them.

Now where is that ignore function?

Ah there it is!

Bye Bye Troll.

I'm sure you will be banned soon.

zulater
04-13-2010, 10:51 PM
I think this might have been an 18+ deal so she should have had a big X on her hand. unless she had a fake. anyone know?

Good point though:tt04:

It's been established she presented a fake ID at the door and was being served as if she was over 21 as a result.

Not Ben's responsibility or his fault.

truesteelerfan
04-14-2010, 10:24 AM
No crime should equal NO SUSPENSION. Being stupid, and immature while not becoming a Steeler player- does not justify a league suspension IMO...Maybe the team could suspend him for being stupid....but not the league. His being ACCUSED is not in the same leauge as people being CHAREGED, or CONVICTED.

Anybody can be charged for anything at anytime....

Who wants to volunteer to go to Baltimore, Dallas, or New England and find their star QB in a bar?

vasteeler
04-14-2010, 10:40 AM
i know i have said this before but what would he be suspended for
and i dont want to hear "conduct policy"

Atranox
04-14-2010, 11:03 AM

I don't know....maybe buying an underaged girls shots, following her into the girl's bathroom, ****ing her, and then getting accused of rape for the second time?

Do I think he raped her? Probably not. We'll never know. There was strong evidence for it, but there was also quite a lot that goes against it. Either way, he's not guilty, but he's still an absolute moron for putting himself in poor situations.

vasteeler
04-14-2010, 01:17 PM
I don't know....maybe buying an underaged girls shots, following her into the girl's bathroom, ****ing her, and then getting accused of rape for the second time?

Do I think he raped her? Probably not. We'll never know. There was strong evidence for it, but there was also quite a lot that goes against it. Either way, he's not guilty, but he's still an absolute moron for putting himself in poor situations.

so he should be suspended for being a moron and putting himself in a poor situation

sounds susspension worthy to me :bs:

pete74
04-14-2010, 01:22 PM

You don't want to hear it but that's exactly what it is

whatdoiknow
04-14-2010, 01:44 PM
Everyone who is not a steeler fan says Roger Goodell MUST Suspend Ben from the league for some amount of time. And for not being arrested, or convicted. But because of the Moral conduct rule. And how Ben has made the NFL Look bad. I find it funny, with NO proof of any wrongdoing, the Commish may suspend Ben. But yet, the Patriots absolutely DID Tape other teams practices which is a DIRECT Violation of the Leagues OWN Rule Book, e.g....Cheating. And yet, can someone out there please tell me how many games was
Bill Belichick suspended for ? Or how many games Tom Brady was suspended for when he KNEW about all this when it was going on ? Or how about any of the other Patriots players ? And yet that violation is WAY more egregious than anything Ben was accused of..( And not proven )...but the Pats Incident WAS proven. And yet I seem to remember ole Roger did absolutely SQUAT about that.

Irony huh...it's a funny thing!

LVSteelersfan
04-14-2010, 01:46 PM
What makes you all think Dixon will be the backup QB? The way the Steelers do things, I highly expect that Charlie Batch will be under center if Ben gets suspended. Batch was not available last year when Dixon played. JMHO on the matter. Ben is just a dumb jerk who doesn't have the brains to stay out of stupid situations. College bars are for college kids, not millionaire athletes. Stay away.

whatdoiknow
04-14-2010, 01:52 PM
What makes you all think Dixon will be the backup QB? The way the Steelers do things, I highly expect that Charlie Batch will be under center if Ben gets suspended. Batch was not available last year when Dixon played. JMHO on the matter. Ben is just a dumb jerk who doesn't have the brains to stay out of stupid situations. College bars are for college kids, not millionaire athletes. Stay away.

There is no such thing as a " College Bar " 21 is the legal drinking age in the WHOLE United States. And 90 % of ALL College student are UNDER the age of 21.
So there is no such thing as a college Bar...( Doh! )

Gnutella
04-14-2010, 02:21 PM
So nobody here thinks that ****ing a drunk girl in a public bathroom is wrong?

harts
04-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Steeler Fan for 31 years here!
I think Ben Should be suspended by Goodell but already by the Steelers ESPECIALLY if you gonna tell Santonio to kick rocks for a 5th rounder

stlrtruck
04-14-2010, 02:50 PM
There is no such thing as a " College Bar " 21 is the legal drinking age in the WHOLE United States. And 90 % of ALL College student are UNDER the age of 21.
So there is no such thing as a college Bar...( Doh! )

Actually there are some military bases that lower the drinking age to 18. I'm just sayin' :drink:

vasteeler
04-14-2010, 04:19 PM

nope , so he ****ed a drunk girl in a public bathroom,so what. Now if he did it against her will , thats a different story.

Preacher
04-14-2010, 04:21 PM
so he should be suspended for being a moron and putting himself in a poor situation

sounds susspension worthy to me :bs:

Yep. He absolutely should be.

After all, If you were on a business trip and did that, and brought bad PR down on your company, do you REALLY think you would stay employed there?

I sure wouldn't.

vasteeler
04-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Steeler Fan for 31 years here!
I think Ben Should be suspended by Goodell but already by the Steelers ESPECIALLY if you gonna tell Santonio to kick rocks for a 5th rounder

santos been arrested more than once.i dont think ben has

vasteeler
04-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Yep. He absolutely should be.

After all, If you were on a business trip and did that, and brought bad PR down on your company, do you REALLY think you would stay employed there?

I sure wouldn't.

he wasnt on a business trip. Its not really fair to compare the two

Preacher
04-14-2010, 05:26 PM
he wasnt on a business trip. Its not really fair to compare the two

At that level, you ARE the business. EVERYTHING he does is business. The fact he had a VIP lounge was BASED on his business pursuits of football. His popularity is based on his business pursuits.

He CANT go anywhere without it being business.

Like or not, that is the reality.

BehindSteelCurtain
04-14-2010, 05:39 PM
I think he should be suspended by the team......somewhere between 1-4 games.

whatdoiknow
04-14-2010, 05:49 PM
I love Ben. And even though having agreed upon sexual contact in a public venue IS a crime..( Indecent Expossure )...it is no different than the charge that Jeff Reed got. And certainly not as serious as hitting a woman, or a DUI. If I were Ben, and the Steelers suspend him, I would sue Dan Rooney for 100 million dollars for sexual harrassment, wrongful termenation of his job..( Even if it's only a temporary )..and being
singled out for punishment that his other teammates were not, ect.

And you know what ? Rooney would deserve it, and Ben would easily win the case as well.
So If I were the Organazation, I would tread lightly.

Psyychoward86
04-14-2010, 05:53 PM

way to pull that out of your ass :coffee:

Preacher
04-14-2010, 06:26 PM
I love Ben. And even though having agreed upon sexual contact in a public venue IS a crime..( Indecent Expossure )...it is no different than the charge that Jeff Reed got. And certainly not as serious as hitting a woman, or a DUI. If I were Ben, and the Steelers suspend him, I would sue Dan Rooney for 100 million dollars for sexual harrassment, wrongful termenation of his job..( Even if it's only a temporary )..and being
singled out for punishment that his other teammates were not, ect.

And you know what ? Rooney would deserve it, and Ben would easily win the case as well.
So If I were the Organazation, I would tread lightly.

Um, Sexual harassment would be the Rooneys doing something or saying something sexual to Ben. Sorry, that hasn't happened.
Wrongful termination is only termination if he is actually fired. Furthermore, they have a contract by which the Rooneys can choose to cut the player at anytime REGARDLESS of the reason, or choose to not player a player at ANY TIME REGARDLESS of the reason.

Singled out?

Holmes was let go and before that, suspended for a game.
Peezy was cut simply because of his mouth.
Dookie was let go for his off field antics.
As was a start RB about a decade and a half ago.

No, I don't think "singled out" is quite the term you were looking for.

Last time I looked, the OWNERS controlled the team and the players PLAYED for the owners. If the owners choose to not have Ben on teh team, or to play without him for a time, that is COMPLETELY the owners choice.

austinfrench76
04-14-2010, 06:31 PM
I don't think he should be suspended for bad judgement. He is an idiot, for sure, but that's not a crime. Put himself into a bad position and I can't stand another athlete standing in front of a podium reading a statement that was written by a PR firm. If he was charged, suspend him, but he wasnt so dont. I'm just sayin...