PDA

View Full Version : The Ben Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15

JCPsteelers
04-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Oh thank god we have our resident pro football scout on hand to chime in with his 2 cents which, really, amount to bullshit.

What you did was look at the 1 game versus Baltimore. You saw a bad completion % and Viola! we've got accuracy problems. Never mind that he was over 60% in college and 67% in his senior year. Coming into the NFL it is true that he had to work on accuracy and was inconsistent. But, from what I have read, he is improving in these areas. I'm not ready is claim he "isn't very accurate" after 1 game vs a good defense.

Would you like to elaborate on the "limited upside".

Here, this will help to to make more of those CLASSIC posts that you are used too.
http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo89/steve_in_washington/jump_to_conclusions.jpg

I'm sure Kordell worked on his accuracy too.. How did that work out again?

YOu are either accurate or you are not.. You can improve a bit but if you aren't accurate to begin with chances are you aren't going to be ever great at it.. To be a playoff type QB in this league on a consistent basis you have to be ACCURATE PASSING THE BALL.. But hey you want to read the articles about how Dixon is doing this and doing that and that he's going to be a great QB be my guest.. When he's gone from the team after his rookie contract is over and we have another "Dennis Dixon" type drafted in 2011 hopefully you'll join reality and won't buy into non-hype of mediocre QB's..

Signed Steelers North California Pro Scout

JCPSTEELERS..

JCPsteelers
04-22-2010, 01:00 AM
Another clown who falsely assumes Dennis Dixon is a run 1st pass 2nd QB.. He ran the ball 3 times vs the Ravens, and one of them was a designed run (the TD). So how is he considered a run first QB? You can't bring up college stats because they are totally useless. YOU ARE JUST TALKING OUT OF YOUR ASS.

The comparisons to Troy Smith and Pat White are unfair too. Troy Smith is way undersized for the NFL and Pat White came from a gimmick offense and was way more of a run first QB then Dixon.

Also your "history" of there never being a good running QB in the NFL, did you forget Randall Cunningham?

How many playoff games did Randall Cunningham win again?

steelerdude15
04-22-2010, 01:01 AM
Goodell can suck me.

JSH6487
04-22-2010, 01:02 AM
Seriously, I'm now hoping Dixon actually does start the first 4 games so after he throws for 37% maybe we won't have to hear this idiotic talk.

Some people would still think he's the next Randall Cunningham though.

Petesburgh66
04-22-2010, 01:04 AM
Re-visit the Stewart years = no thanks. Just keep Ben.

steelerdude15
04-22-2010, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
Ben's been railroaded, probably right out of Pittsburgh, and I for one am pissed!
Bullshit.

If Ben finds his way out of the Burgh, it's because of his own doing.

No, you can easily drive out of the city... just saying. :chuckle:

JCPsteelers
04-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Seriously, I'm now hoping Dixon actually does start the first 4 games so after he throws for 37% maybe we won't have to hear this idiotic talk.

I don't and neither does the Steelers coaching staff.. Tomlin will start Leftwich to begin the season..

But even if he did and he flopped miserably, Dixon people will make excuses for DD that he is young and that he didn't get enough time because Ben took too many snaps in training camp so Dixon was rusty, blah,blah,blah.

zulater
04-22-2010, 01:07 AM
I don't deny him anything. Try again.

Answer me this though - do you think the Rooney's are that dumb to consider trading away a top five quarterback without knowing that something was seriously wrong with him? With having access to Roethlisberger on a daily basis, they know more about him then us all and they might have reached a point that they can no longer deny what type of person he is.

Or perhaps they're just succumbing to public perception that Ben's guilty of an egrecious crime, the sort of crime there can be no forgiveness for if one's presumed guilty?

I think they're taking the easy way out. I think Goodell poisened the waters and they're being reactionary.

We got our years out of him, lets' get some value and be rid of the head ache. Who cares if he's innocent, the perception is that he's a sexual predator. Bye bye Ben.

I was predicting a two game suspension, but I'm thinking perhaps that meeting with Goodell went down with Ben possibly coming across as c0cky and arrogant, and without contrition, which seems to fit into the gazillion stories of him characterizing him in that same manner and therefore a stronger suspension.

Well maybe that's because he knows the truth paints a far different picture than what Goodell wants to believe. Wouldn't you get defensive if you were being castigated by lies and innuendo that you knew for a fact were blatantly false? Maybe he thinks Goodell had an agenda going in and he was there to be dictated to rather to be listened to and heard out for his side of the story.

And I also see the Rooney's seeing that same person. You can't win with that, on or off the field.

Well they seem to have won on the field just fine with him so far. Too bad though that's probably going to happen somehere else now.

Petesburgh66
04-22-2010, 01:09 AM
Interesting read. Just adds to my opinion of a six game suspension being too harsh. Only thing he's "guilty" of is having sex with a drunk chick, and buying drinks for some girls (at a BAR) who he didn't know were underage.

Agreed.

And yet the coach of the team behind the whole Spygate gets a zero game suspension for ruining the integrity of the game. Glad to see where Goddell's priorities are.

zulater
04-22-2010, 01:13 AM
No, you can easily drive out of the city... just saying. :chuckle:

And you can kiss my ass too!

I never threatened to withdraw my support for the Steelers. But I can damn well say it if I feel an innocent man is being wronged due to being convicted in the court of public opinion with no recourse for appeal.

Big7BenHOF
04-22-2010, 01:15 AM
I DOUBT this is true ... but who knows?

http://nflspinzone.com/2010/04/22/ben-roethlisberger-to-oakland-raiders-a-done-deal/

Steeldude
So...Terry Bradshaw was the only QB who can help the Steelers....well, considering it took another 25 years...YEAH. BECAUSE WE KNOW BEN WORKS ON THIS TEAM.

How successful were the Steelers BEFORE Terry Bradshaw? Not very.

Ben is even more important to this Steeler offense than Terry was to the offenses of the 70s.

He's not bigger than the team, but he's x2 bigger than anyone else on the team. Period. You think Troy was important last year? Ben is 2x as important.

The Rooneys should only trade him if he messes up again.

then you are saying the steelers should sell the team if they trade BR. after all, you just can't win without BR, right?

Cmdurand21

Some people would still think he's the next Randall Cunningham though.

Well.. I hope that doesn't happen because I would rather have the Steelers do well then to win a pathetic internet argument, but I guess we're different people...

If you are right though, I will gladly tell you that you were right all along. But all you are really doing is guessing. That is it. It maybe an educated guess, but a guess none the less. We can't just decided that he's going to be shit. The Steelers obviously think the kid is alright or they wouldn't be posturing so much against Ben. Let's give him a chance, we really have to since Ben will be suspended.

What you really should be hoping for is that Dixon does pretty well for himself, maybe we come out of the suspension 4-2 or something. We go with Roethlisberger the rest of the year, and he's clearly a better QB, so not to create controversy. Then we trade Dixon next year for a 2-3 round pick or god forbid a 1st rounder.

Can't we at least agree on that?

JSH6487
Steelers should sign Rod Rutherford while they're at it...he did throw for 37 TDS with a 60% completion percentage his senior year. I mean geez, those are killer college stats...why isn't he an all pro NFL QB by now?

The Duke
04-22-2010, 01:16 AM
And the criticism on dixon starts even before the season begins....

Is dixon the new ben?

WH
04-22-2010, 01:16 AM
its unfortunate to see our team figureheads being turned into corporate bitches, who now walk around on eggshells in the presense of der fuhrer.

The Commish is rolling in his grave.

steelerdude15
04-22-2010, 01:17 AM
And you can kiss my ass too!

I never threatened to withdraw my support for the Steelers. But I can damn well say it if I feel an innocent man is being wronged due to being convicted in the court of public opinion with no recourse for appeal.
Hey hey hey now, I was only screwing around. I'm in the same boat as you are... well car if you want to be exact. :chuckle: If Ben is traded or if Ben stays, I will still love the Steelers without a doubt, I would be upset and think it's a bad move, but I would still love the Steelers. People are making this out to be too much, he's innocent, there's no doubt about it. A six game suspension is too much, but there's nothing we can do. We can only watch and see as things unfold.

Cmdurand21
04-22-2010, 01:18 AM
I don't and neither does the Steelers coaching staff.. Tomlin will start Leftwich to begin the season..

i doubt it. I think Leftwich is a security blanket if Dixon bombs.
But even if he did and he flopped miserably, Dixon people will make excuses for DD that he is young and that he didn't get enough time because Ben took too many snaps in training camp so Dixon was rusty, blah,blah,blah.

I doubt it.

LambertIsGod58
04-22-2010, 01:19 AM
I dont hate Ben. I am however dissapointed in him. I think the majority of fans probably feel the same way.

That being said I have to admit that I have a sense of pride in the Rooneys attention to principle. Ben is a "part" that is not bigger than the "whole". To be honest...I would rather suffer a period of adjustment without Ben...then to be dissapoointed in a persona that I have always associated with the Steelers organization.

If Ben stays...He needs to get it together.
If he goes...well...I am a bigger fan of the Steelers than I am a fan of Ben.

Others can have their opinions and I respect that...this is just the way I feel.

Couldn't have said it any better myself!

Shea
04-22-2010, 01:20 AM
Or perhaps they're just succumbing to public perception that Ben's guilty of an egrecious crime, the sort of crime there can be no forgiveness for if one's presumed guilty?

I think they're taking the easy way out

C'mon Zu ......

They don't succumb to public perception and never have.

They wouldn't shoot themselves in the ass to loose a QB like Ben without knowing something we all don't.

Your lack of confidence in the Rooney's intelligence and morals is telling.

ricksteelers55
And you've yet to respond Vincent to the multiple times I've called you out for being a HUGE hypocrite for bad mouthing Ben with a James Harrison banner as your sig. Again, an actual arrest for slapping around his gf is not as big as deal as only being accused of sexual assault like Ben was? Please enlighten me.

Only ????? The fact that he received that kind of bad attention is too much.You are a freakin rolemodel for young kids.We pay you millions of dollars so please dont start with this whole...he wins games and is a winner kind of crap.If some people in here are willing to keep criminals and bums on the field only to have a trophy or wins,then I suggest they start rooting for the Raiders,Bengals or Cowboys because I dont want to see my team filled with knucleheads and if it means also getting rid of James Harrison than so be it.

I'm tired of all that crap.Do you guys think that it's impossible to get another franchise QB ? We wanted to run the ball more this year...then guess what we will get exactly what we wanted.We might not win a lombardi as soon as we thought but we will be competitive and get a franchise QB to replace Ben in the meantime I'm sure.

And if some people are going to quit being Steelers fans only because we trade Roethlisberger,then maybe they werent Steelers fans but more of Roethlisberger's fans.

I have nothing against him,I'm not better than he his,If I would have been in his situation I'm sure that I would have been worst,but unfortunately we cant accept that our athletes are acting like that.The day we start accepting that kind of behavior is the day we will lose our identity.

zulater

http://nflspinzone.com/2010/04/22/ben-roethlisberger-to-oakland-raiders-a-done-deal/

I could live with that. My first preference would be to keep Ben, but I think the waters are too poisened to go foward. So at least with this we address a genuine need with a great player and we can address the qb position in the draft.

WH
04-22-2010, 01:26 AM

they made a deal with the devil himself

JSH6487
04-22-2010, 01:26 AM
If the Steelers are indeed going to keep Ben...do we really need 3 QB's on top of Ben for 4 games if the Steelers were that confident in Dennis Dixon? Batch was already the security blanket. I just don't think they are all that confident in Dixon and I don't blame them at all.

JCPsteelers
04-22-2010, 01:28 AM
[QUOTE]I'm tired of all that crap.Do you guys think that it's impossible to get another franchise QB ?

Yes. We were fortunate to even get Big Ben at where we did and it was only because their were 2 other outstanding QB's in that draft..

We wanted to run the ball more this year...then guess what we will get exactly what we wanted.

No, only the fans living in the 70's want to run the ball for 3 yards each play and punt 10 times a game.. I want to throw the ball with a Top 5 QB and use all those weapons we have to score..

zulater
C'mon Zu ......

They don't succumb to public perception and never have.

They wouldn't shoot themselves in the ass to loose a QB like Ben without knowing something we all don't.

Your lack of confidence in the Rooney's intelligence and morals is telling.

I've got great respect for the Rooney's, but sometimes even exceptional people start to buy into their own bullshit. and that's always dangerous. I think the Steelers have painted themselves into the proverbial corner with this whole higher standards nonsense. As has been pointed out before the Steelers of the 70's weren't all choir boys, the original Art Rooney made much of his money from illegal jukeboxes etc...

fred
Steelers shouldn't trade Ben....yet. Have him serve his suspension BUT he needs to realize that a 3rd strike and he's gone........why even put yourself in that situation that he did?! C'mon, you're getting paid all that "$" and whether he did it or not......he's a target for people who want to make money or get in the news..........He
is our QB but he needs to represent the Steelers! Football is a business......gotta have that Steeler Pride!

fansince'76
I'm tired of all that crap.Do you guys think that it's impossible to get another franchise QB ?

No, but it's not as easy as just plugging QB "X" in and picking right up where you left off like a lot of people here seem to think it is either. Living in Broncos country, I've had a front row seat in watching the Broncos try in vain for over a decade to replace a franchise QB and winning a grand total of one playoff game in the meantime. Never mind our own drought of 2+ decades between franchise QBs from 1983 to 2004.

JCPsteelers
04-22-2010, 01:30 AM
If the Steelers are indeed going to keep Ben...do we really need 3 QB's on top of Ben for 4 games if the Steelers were that confident in Dennis Dixon? Batch was already the security blanket. I just don't think they are all that confident in Dixon and I don't blame them at all.

Exactly.. You don't trade for Leftwich and give him a contract extension and believe he's going to be the backup to some guy named Dennis Dixon..

JSH6487
04-22-2010, 01:31 AM
Only ????? The fact that he received that kind of bad attention is too much.You are a freakin rolemodel for young kids.We pay you millions of dollars so please dont start with this whole...he wins games and is a winner kind of crap.If some people in here are willing to keep criminals and bums on the field only to have a trophy or wins,then I suggest they start rooting for the Raiders,Bengals or Cowboys because I dont want to see my team filled with knucleheads and if it means also getting rid of James Harrison than so be it.

I'm tired of all that crap.Do you guys think that it's impossible to get another franchise QB ? We wanted to run the ball more this year...then guess what we will get exactly what we wanted.We might not win a lombardi as soon as we thought but we will be competitive and get a franchise QB to replace Ben in the meantime I'm sure.

And if some people are going to quit being Steelers fans only because we trade Roethlisberger,then maybe they werent Steelers fans but more of Roethlisberger's fans.

I have nothing against him,I'm not better than he his,If I would have been in his situation I'm sure that I would have been worst,but unfortunately we cant accept that our athletes are acting like that.The day we start accepting that kind of behavior is the day we will lose our identity.

I've had this argument too many times on here and am not going to get into it again. They're football players, not teachers or politicians. I could careless what their morals are...as long as they aren't charged criminally and continue to play well on the field I welcome any thug or bum or however you want to put it on the Steelers.

Cmdurand21
04-22-2010, 01:31 AM

Batch is suited to hold a clipboard and that it.

zulater
04-22-2010, 01:32 AM
Hey hey hey now, I was only screwing around. I'm in the same boat as you are... well car if you want to be exact. :chuckle: If Ben is traded or if Ben stays, I will still love the Steelers without a doubt, I would be upset and think it's a bad move, but I would still love the Steelers. People are making this out to be too much, he's innocent, there's no doubt about it. A six game suspension is too much, but there's nothing we can do. We can only watch and see as things unfold.

Sorry, I might be a little overtired I spent about 5 hours going over the GBI report page by page, and I'm a little bleary eyed and reactive at the moment.

:chuckle::drink:

WH
04-22-2010, 01:33 AM
MM Wrote
The mob is fickle.

Steelers ownership and management need to remember that.

Reports say Ben Roethlisberger will be suspended for a minimum of four games, six games max. [UPDATE: IT'S OFFICIAL.] Another report says the Steelers are actively trying to trade Roethlisberger for a top 10 pick in tomorrow's NFL draft.

Dumping Roethlisberger might placate the masses now.

But when the Steelers are 1-5 in October, Yinzer Nation will be chanting Ben's name at Heinz Field. There will be discontent in the team's locker room. Players in the last few years of their primes will be upset to see them wasted. Ben's teammates have no problem with him. Quotes filtering out of OTAs confirm that.

The mob is fickle. The Roethlisberger "scandal" is temporary. 5-11 is permanent, Missing the playoffs is permanent, How long will it be until the Steelers get another quarterback like Roethlisberger? Is perceived honor and tradition really worth skipping over sanctimonious and self-righteous and going all the way to STUPID?

If the Steelers trade Ben, what will they have accomplished? The domestic abuser will still be rostered, along with the accused gang-raper and the one-man crime wave of drunk and disorderly. Precisely what example will the Steelers have set?

Roethlisberger's suspension is too severe. He wasn't charged with anything. What happens if he's wrongly accused again? Does he have to live like a hermit?

The punishment is meant to placate the mob. It doesn't fit the crime, because no crime was committed. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell can play God, making up the rules as he goes along, because the NFL players' union is weak.

Goodell seems intent on making Roethlisberger jump through hoops to earn an early return. The suspension will be "only" four games if Ben fulfills certain obligations. If I'm Roethlisberger, I'd say, "I'm going to Vegas. See you in six games." No charges. No crime. Go to counseling? Counseling for WHAT?

If you're a Roethlisberger fan, the villain in all this is Fred Bright, the district attorney in Georgia who didn't have enough evidence or guts to prosecute, but pronounced Ben guilty anyway. The release of the case's sleazy details further rallied the mob against Roethlisberger and reportedly turned the Rooney family against Ben.

This is so crooked, it's losing my interest. Especially considering how Sidney Crosby played last night.

zulater
04-22-2010, 01:36 AM
MM Wrote:applaudit:

vindrow
04-22-2010, 01:37 AM
Then there are these reports:

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraider...d-die-quietly/
Roethlisberger-to-Raiders story should die quietly By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, April 21st, 2010 at 10:29 pm in Oakland Raiders.
Spent the last few hours going to and from San Francisco for a “Chronicle Live” appearance. The buzz (probably a poor choice of words in this case) was about Ben Roethlisberger.

Would the Raiders deal the No. 8 pick to get him? How could they not?
Setting aside for a moment my own feelings on the matter, the guess here is this story will end up much like the one involving Donovan McNabb.
No, Roethlisberger won’t be joining McNabb with the Redskins. But like McNabb, Roethlisberger won’t be in Oakland.
Colleague Steve Corkran reports the Raiders did their “due diligence” and inquired about Roethlisberger, although no formal offer was made.
The Raiders aren’t interested in surrendering the No. 8 pick and the Steelers, even as disgusted as they are with Roethlisberger, aren’t going to have a fire sale.

story links to here: http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_14932481

Raiders add defense via trade for Jaguars' GrovesBy Steve Corkran
Oakland Tribune
Posted: 04/21/2010 07:50:20 PM PDT
Updated: 04/21/2010 10:06:57 PM PDT

By Steve Corkran
The Raiders traded a fifth-round draft pick to the Jacksonville Jaguars for defensive end Quentin Groves on Wednesday.
Groves, 25, played in all 32 games for the Jaguars during his two seasons there as a converted linebacker. He had 2.5 sacks his rookie season but none last season despite starting seven games.
The Raiders confirmed the move on their website and listed him as a linebacker. That portends the Raiders using a 3-4 defensive alignment this season more than they did last season under defensive coordinator John Marshall.
Jacksonville receives the fifth-rounder (No. 158) that the Raiders acquired from the New England Patriots in a trade for defensive end Derrick Burgess last August.
The Jaguars took Groves in the second round of the 2008 draft out of Auburn.
In other news, a Raiders employee confirmed the team contacted the Pittsburgh Steelers about suspended quarterback Ben Roethlisberger but didn't make an offer. The employee added the Raiders are unwilling to trade today's No. 8 overall pick for Roethlisberger and that the Steelers aren't interested in throwing in the No. 18 pick to sweeten the deal.

LambertIsGod58
04-22-2010, 01:38 AM
Has nothing to do with anything...but way to not answer my question hypocrite.

I think Ben is innocent, therefore my sig is just a joke. There is no doubt Harrison was NOT innocent. He admitted that he slapped around the mother of his child, but you act like that is no big deal when you go on your rants trash talking Ben for accusations with a James Harrison banner as your sig.

Come on hypocrite...respond to this without jumping around it.

I'm glad sexual assault is a "joke" to you. But I knew that all along.

vindrow
04-22-2010, 01:39 AM
And more:

http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraider...d-die-quietly/
Roethlisberger-to-Raiders story should die quietly By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, April 21st, 2010 at 10:29 pm in Oakland Raiders.
Spent the last few hours going to and from San Francisco for a “Chronicle Live” appearance. The buzz (probably a poor choice of words in this case) was about Ben Roethlisberger.

Would the Raiders deal the No. 8 pick to get him? How could they not?
Setting aside for a moment my own feelings on the matter, the guess here is this story will end up much like the one involving Donovan McNabb.
No, Roethlisberger won’t be joining McNabb with the Redskins. But like McNabb, Roethlisberger won’t be in Oakland.
Colleague Steve Corkran reports the Raiders did their “due diligence” and inquired about Roethlisberger, although no formal offer was made.
The Raiders aren’t interested in surrendering the No. 8 pick and the Steelers, even as disgusted as they are with Roethlisberger, aren’t going to have a fire sale.

story links to here: http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_14932481

Raiders add defense via trade for Jaguars' GrovesBy Steve Corkran
Oakland Tribune
Posted: 04/21/2010 07:50:20 PM PDT
Updated: 04/21/2010 10:06:57 PM PDT

By Steve Corkran
The Raiders traded a fifth-round draft pick to the Jacksonville Jaguars for defensive end Quentin Groves on Wednesday.
Groves, 25, played in all 32 games for the Jaguars during his two seasons there as a converted linebacker. He had 2.5 sacks his rookie season but none last season despite starting seven games.
The Raiders confirmed the move on their website and listed him as a linebacker. That portends the Raiders using a 3-4 defensive alignment this season more than they did last season under defensive coordinator John Marshall.
Jacksonville receives the fifth-rounder (No. 158) that the Raiders acquired from the New England Patriots in a trade for defensive end Derrick Burgess last August.
The Jaguars took Groves in the second round of the 2008 draft out of Auburn.
In other news, a Raiders employee confirmed the team contacted the Pittsburgh Steelers about suspended quarterback Ben Roethlisberger but didn't make an offer. The employee added the Raiders are unwilling to trade today's No. 8 overall pick for Roethlisberger and that the Steelers aren't interested in throwing in the No. 18 pick to sweeten the deal.

JCPsteelers
04-22-2010, 01:40 AM
n other news, a Raiders employee confirmed the team contacted the Pittsburgh Steelers about suspended quarterback Ben Roethlisberger but didn't make an offer. The employee added the Raiders are unwilling to trade today's No. 8 overall pick for Roethlisberger and that the Steelers aren't interested in throwing in the No. 18 pick to sweeten the deal

Stupid Al... :chuckle: He probably was hoping Jarmarcus and Bey would be enough for Big Ben..

fansince'76
04-22-2010, 01:44 AM
MM Wrote

The mob is fickle.

Steelers ownership and management need to remember that.

Reports say Ben Roethlisberger will be suspended for a minimum of four games, six games max. [UPDATE: IT'S OFFICIAL.] Another report says the Steelers are actively trying to trade Roethlisberger for a top 10 pick in tomorrow's NFL draft.

Dumping Roethlisberger might placate the masses now.

But when the Steelers are 1-5 in October, Yinzer Nation will be chanting Ben's name at Heinz Field. There will be discontent in the team's locker room. Players in the last few years of their primes will be upset to see them wasted. Ben's teammates have no problem with him. Quotes filtering out of OTAs confirm that.

The mob is fickle. The Roethlisberger "scandal" is temporary. 5-11 is permanent, Missing the playoffs is permanent, How long will it be until the Steelers get another quarterback like Roethlisberger? Is perceived honor and tradition really worth skipping over sanctimonious and self-righteous and going all the way to STUPID?

If the Steelers trade Ben, what will they have accomplished? The domestic abuser will still be rostered, along with the accused gang-raper and the one-man crime wave of drunk and disorderly. Precisely what example will the Steelers have set?

Roethlisberger's suspension is too severe. He wasn't charged with anything. What happens if he's wrongly accused again? Does he have to live like a hermit?

The punishment is meant to placate the mob. It doesn't fit the crime, because no crime was committed. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell can play God, making up the rules as he goes along, because the NFL players' union is weak.

Goodell seems intent on making Roethlisberger jump through hoops to earn an early return. The suspension will be "only" four games if Ben fulfills certain obligations. If I'm Roethlisberger, I'd say, "I'm going to Vegas. See you in six games." No charges. No crime. Go to counseling? Counseling for WHAT?

If you're a Roethlisberger fan, the villain in all this is Fred Bright, the district attorney in Georgia who didn't have enough evidence or guts to prosecute, but pronounced Ben guilty anyway. The release of the case's sleazy details further rallied the mob against Roethlisberger and reportedly turned the Rooney family against Ben.

This is so crooked, it's losing my interest. Especially considering how Sidney Crosby played last night.

Sickens me to say it, but for once, I agree with pretty much everything fatboy has to say, particularly in regards to the shameful "judge, jury and public executioner for mass consumption" performance of that so-called DA. I think I need to go take a long hot shower now.

JSH6487
04-22-2010, 01:47 AM
The joke is to make light of people like you who want Ben crucified for only accusations. I think you'll get your wish though...my gut tells me Ben will be traded before or during the draft 2morrow.

JSH6487
04-22-2010, 01:51 AM
If the Steelers trade Ben...it would be even worse than Al Davis drafting Jamarcus 1st overall and Bey as high as he did. The Rooney's IMO would surpass Al Davis and become the dumbest owners in the league.

lambertlunaticfan
04-22-2010, 01:53 AM
I hate to say it but i hope they do trade him.I think he has put a downer on the steelers history by doing this.And i know (even though he does not care) i have lost respect for him.Even if he did not do this last one.What the hell is he doing in a college bar.Does he really have that fragile of a ego that he needs to go to a kids bar and act like a big shot.I mean you don't hear or see tom brady hanging out in a college bar.There is no reason to me that he should have been there in the first place.And if you are not there you can not be accused of something.You don't put yourself in that situation when you are the quarterback of the steelers.You are better than that.I am sorry but yes you are not a normal person,you held to a different standard.

fansince'76
04-22-2010, 01:55 AM
well i guess that was closer to the truth than reed insisting mcnabb will be the eagles starting qb in 2010...:noidea:

Oh, you mean the same article you obviously selectively read passages from where Reid also stated pretty clearly that they were actively entertaining offers for McNabb? :noidea:

JSH6487
04-22-2010, 01:56 AM
Always been a fan of Double M for telling it like it is. That was absolutely a GREAT read.

lambertlunaticfan
04-22-2010, 01:58 AM
Is that photo real? Because if it really is,what a damn shame.Yeah theres a quarterback you can proud of.What a joke this guy has become.I loved ben and stood by him but this is too much for me.Like i said in my other post.He should not be a college bar trying to scroe on college chicks.I mean guilty of it or not.And i would like to believe he would not be that stubid to have really assulted this girl.I mean your the quarterback of the steelers do you really need to force girls to do things with you.But he sure is guilty of letting down this once proud francise.Again to me i am sure alot of people still love and admire him.And thats alright,i just am having a hard time with it right now.As i do not understand his thinking of being in a college bar and putting himself in that situation.Maybe he should join the jersey shore cast.As he really should be called the situation.The joke is to make light of people like you who want Ben crucified for only accusations. I think you'll get your wish though...my gut tells me Ben will be traded before or during the draft 2morrow.

Mags87
04-22-2010, 02:03 AM
Ben has had 2 serious allegations of sexual assault. One is questionable, but two? Ben also surrounds himself around 20 year old drunken college girls and obviously can't control himself

He was at a bar for crying out loud! how is he supposed to know that a group of underage girls were gonna walk into the bar and drink booze that he's paying for? is he supposed to stop and say "Wait girls, let me see some ID before i give you these" thats the bars responsibility not his. when i go to a bar, i assume everyone there is of age. i do this because of the multiple checks that i need to go through to get into bars where i live. usually a club like this has a doorman and bouncers on top of the bartender to verify age. there are instances where i couldnt tell you confidently if a girl was 16 or 26 and im a 22 year old college kid! how is he to know that this group is around 20? he could have thought that they were 28 like him for all we know.

cant control himself my ass. it was his 28th birthday party and he thought he found some tail. turns out she had some spiteful friends and now his career is irreparably damaged while a little 20 year old girl who was DTF is sitting in anonymity in Georgia. :mad::mad::mad:

SteelPride1207
04-22-2010, 02:10 AM
Let me start by saying this. I have alot of respect for the great franchise that the Rooney's have maintained with the Pittsburgh Steelers and although I am about to be very critical in the rest of my post...my criticism is in how they are handling this particular situation with Ben R.

With that being said....

How can the Rooney's take the "high moral ground" and talk about responsibility Ben has to the Steelers organization when they did NOTHING to stand behind and support him even after the case was dropped because there was NO reliable evidence...?

How can the Rooney's sit on their collective butts and do nothing while the media completely avalanced Ben's side of the story (and the police reports) while HIGHLIGHTING and promoting as FACT the inconsistent version given by a "habitually drunk sororiety girl open to getting DTF" that night...?

How can the Rooney's have Jeff Reed, James Harrison, etc on the roster and not expect people to laugh at them when they talk about the integrity of the team as a reason Ben must be punished...?

The Rooney's support of Roger Goodell's excessive punishment is laughable.

Ben goes out with his buddies on his birthday, club hops, drinks, picks up a girl and has sex. DAMN...the guy definately needs jail time, at the very least, a six game suspension...because God knows us lifelong Steeler fans would definately stay away from alcohol, picking up girls, and having sex.

And God knows...none of us ever stepped foot into a college bar, drank with some hot sororiety girl and have it lead directly to sex.

Truth is...Ben did nothing wrong that night...if you are talking about the STANDARD RITUAL of getting laid in most colleges. His mistake was placing himself as a QB of the Steelers in a position where THIS GARBAGE could happen.

At what point though...does making a bone-headed SOCIALLY & LEGALLY ACCEPTABLE act deserve a six game suspension...?

The fact that the Rooney's bought into the SAME media hype that common Steeler fans bought into....clearly shows extremely poor and unfair judgement. If Ben was guilty of poor judgement that night....the Rooney's and all Steeler fans calling for his punishment is 10x as guilty of poor judgement now.

Had the Rooney's had real integrity in this case...they would have demanded that ALL THE FACTS of the case came out...and that ALL THE FACTS appeared in the papers. Instead...they took the coward's road by easily succumbing to public pressure that was amped up by biased reporting, sensationalized journalism, and their own hypocritical ethics.

JSH6487
04-22-2010, 02:15 AM
Let me start by saying this. I have alot of respect for the great franchise that the Rooney's have maintained with the Pittsburgh Steelers and although I am about to be very critical in the rest of my post...my criticism is in how they are handling this particular situation with Ben R.

With that being said....

How can the Rooney's take the "high moral ground" and talk about responsibility Ben has to the Steelers organization when they did NOTHING to stand behind and support him even after the case was dropped because there was NO reliable evidence...?

How can the Rooney's sit on their collective butts and do nothing while the media completely avalanced Ben's side of the story (and the police reports) while HIGHLIGHTING and promoting as FACT the inconsistent version given by a "habitually drunk sororiety girl open to getting DTF" that night...?

How can the Rooney's have Jeff Reed, James Harrison, etc on the roster and not expect people to laugh at them when they talk about the integrity of the team as a reason Ben must be punished...?

Ben goes out with his buddies on his birthday, club hops, drinks, picks up a girl and has sex. DAMN...the guy definately needs jail time, at the very least, a six game suspension...because God knows us lifelong Steeler fans would definately stay away from alcohol, picking up girls, and having sex.

And God knows...none of us ever stepped foot into a college bar, drank with some hot sororiety girl and have it lead directly to sex.

Truth is...Ben did nothing wrong that night...if you are talking about the STANDARD RITUAL of getting laid in most colleges. His mistake was placing himself as a QB of the Steelers in a position where THIS GARBAGE could happen.

At what point though...does making a bone-headed SOCIALLY & LEGALLY ACCEPTABLE act deserve a six game suspension...? Especially when co-workers like Vick, etc were actually charged with crimes and receive less?

The fact that the Rooney's bought into the SAME media hype that common Steeler fans bought into....clearly shows extremely poor and unfair judgement.

If Ben was guilty of poor judgement that night....the Rooney's and all Steeler fans calling for his punishment is 10x as guilty of poor judgement now.

Right there with you brother. It pisses me off so much and I have lost all respect for the Rooney's. So much that it will be very hard to continue to support this team if Ben is dealt.

Jaquila
04-22-2010, 02:16 AM
yeah, trading kinky sex with girls for sex with boys would at least net him the Pope as an ally

QFT!!

I Hate it when athletes and celebrities **** up and then say they accept God and Jesus as their savior... LIE!!!

JSH6487
04-22-2010, 02:19 AM
Read the stuff I posted from Mark Madden. He points out the fact that Charlie Batch was accused of a gang rape in 2000...and the Rooney's actually traded FOR him soon after. (Actually don't remember if it was a trade or if he just signed as a FA, same thing though)

WH
04-22-2010, 02:22 AM
What sucks about Madden is that he could make the wildest, most assinine predictions and they will somehow come true.

SteelPride1207
04-22-2010, 02:22 AM
This incident and the pathetic way it has been handled by the Rooney's is nowhere near enough to push me away from the only NFL team I have supported the past 26years (since I was 15 years old).

What it does do however...is continue to support the understood fact that owners, like players, are more than capable of making bad judgements.

The Rooney's really blew it and...the hypocrisy and cowardice in which they blew it... by accepting this punishment of Ben (and subsequently the team)...is nauseating.

I just hope our team rallies together and wins those first four games.

LambertIsGod58
04-22-2010, 02:33 AM
Read the stuff I posted from Mark Madden. He points out the fact that Charlie Batch was accused of a gang rape in 2000...and the Rooney's actually traded FOR him soon after. (Actually don't remember if it was a trade or if he just signed as a FA, same thing though)

Was Batch accused of rape twice? Because the way I recall everything happening the first time, The Rooney's never said one word to Ben about it. They pretty much blew it off. Hence, no suspension. This is the second accusation. And from what I've heard, the NFL did an extensive investigation of Ben. Including interviewing as many people as possible that Ben has been associated with since becoming the face of the franchise. And enough negative things were said that Goodell made counseling mandatory as part of the punishment.

shinoff2183
04-22-2010, 02:34 AM
Im sorry, but how is ben left out to dry. From the media to the owners and or fans. Ive heard alot worse about the team from the 70's and even worse about some of todays players. Example ray lewis . We trade ben as a pittsburgh fan I hope he is traded to a afc team and said team beats us in the afc conference game.

This whole trade ben thing is just stupid. As a fan I hope we lose if this happens. Lastly please dont call me out I was 14 and pit played dallas in the super bowl, we lost and I teared up. I am not a bandwagoner just a pissed off fan.

JCPsteelers
04-22-2010, 02:42 AM
Im sorry, but how the **** is ben left out to dry. From the media to the ****ing owners and or fans. Ive heard alot worse about the team from the 70's and even worse about some of todays players. Example ray lewis . We trade ben as a pittsburgh fan I hope he is traded to a afc team and said team beats us in the afc conference game.

This whole trade ben thing is just stupid. As a fan I hope we lose if this happens. Lastly please dont call me out I was 14 and pit played dallas in the super bowl, we lost and I teared up. I am not a bandwagoner just a pissed off fan.

I feel you but it doesn't look like he is going to be traded so we should have no worries.

JSH6487
04-22-2010, 02:46 AM
As long as they all are BS, like I believe both cases are...I don't care how many times Ben is ACCUSED. Anyone can make an accusation...and ones toward successful professional athletes really aren't all that uncommon. Another accusation would surely destroy Ben, so what's stopping another bimbo with a DTF badge from making a false accusation to try and collect? And of course to the biased media, Ben would already be found guilty and put on death row if this were to happen again

Charlie Batch himself said it best after his incident...
"These accusations are just another example of how success in sports makes someone a target."

SteelPride1207
04-22-2010, 02:54 AM
Was Batch accused of rape twice? Because the way I recall everything happening the first time, The Rooney's never said one word to Ben about it. They pretty much blew it off. Hence, no suspension. This is the second accusation. And from what I've heard, the NFL did an extensive investigation of Ben. Including interviewing as many people as possible that Ben has been associated with since becoming the face of the franchise. And enough negative things were said that Goodell made counseling mandatory as part of the punishment.

The best thing about the suspension is the rehabilitation. I think Ben needs it...but this post is mainly about the lack of support, hypocrisy, and cowardice of the Rooney's in this situation.

Also...hard for me to give Roger Goodell the benefit of the doubt regarding his desire to hold the starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers to a high level of integrity after the stunt Goodell pulled by destroying the tapes that provided the necessary evidence to wipe out the Patriot's Superbowl years.

Does anyone really think that Jolly Roger destroying those damning Patriot tapes had nothing to do with the Patriots owner (Robert Kraft) being Goodell's biggest supporter in getting the Commissioners job...?

Roger Goodell is a con artist and the last person who should be preaching about ethics, integrity, etc.,

Pittsburgh43
04-22-2010, 02:58 AM
Hope you're right, bud! Only 15.5 hours until the draft.

lambertlunaticfan
04-22-2010, 03:11 AM
I am sorry but i don't speak text.What does "DTF" mean?..I am just a old guy and come from the days when we used complete words.Now everything even sports teams are shorten like that.The pens and playing the sens.See back in my days it would be the penguins are playing the senators.Buts thats a whole new thread.Let me start by saying this. I have alot of respect for the great franchise that the Rooney's have maintained with the Pittsburgh Steelers and although I am about to be very critical in the rest of my post...my criticism is in how they are handling this particular situation with Ben R.

With that being said....

At what point though...does making a bone-headed SOCIALLY & LEGALLY ACCEPTABLE act deserve a six game suspension...?

The fact that the Rooney's bought into the SAME media hype that common Steeler fans bought into....clearly shows extremely poor and unfair judgement. If Ben was guilty of poor judgement that night....the Rooney's and all Steeler fans calling for his punishment is 10x as guilty of poor judgement now.

Had the Rooney's had real integrity in this case...they would have demanded that ALL THE FACTS of the case came out...and that ALL THE FACTS appeared in the papers. Instead...they took the coward's road by easily succumbing to public pressure that was amped up by biased reporting, sensationalized journalism, and their own hypocritical ethics.

lambertlunaticfan
04-22-2010, 03:16 AM
I am sorry and i am not calling you out.But i also was a kid of almost the same age as you during that game.And have been a steelers fan since the days on lambert.And i don't ever recall terry bradshaw being accused of rape and then being accused of sexual assult.But then he proberly never felt the need to be in a college bar either.And you can not compare this to other players have done on other teams.Its about this team and this francise and its storied history.And when the steelers trade away holmes for nothing.Well then trade away ben for doing nothing then.Kind of a double standard going on here.

shinoff2183
04-22-2010, 03:18 AM
How many people out there, ya think are hoping we have a franchise QB after the draft?

lambertlunaticfan
04-22-2010, 03:19 AM
Thanks,i did not know what it ment.I was trying to figure it out and got the last word right.Is there any photos of her wearing that.Thanks for helping out this grandpa and not ripping on me for not knowing.I know i should get with the times.The drunk bimbo who accused Ben was wearing a name badge that said DTF on it. DTF means Down to F*ck. You probably didn't even hear of this because it's one of the many things the media conveniently left out in a lot of reports trying to crucify Ben.

JSH6487
04-22-2010, 03:25 AM
Thanks,i did not know what it ment.I was trying to figure it out and got the last word right.Is there any photos of her wearing that.Thanks for helping out this grandpa and not ripping on me for not knowing.I know i should get with the times.

No problem and don't worry about not knowing this one...DTF isn't one of the common abbreviations your regular joe uses. Not many people including myself knew what it meant at first. It is strictly for dumb college drunken bimbos like the one who accused Ben.

Galax Steeler
04-22-2010, 03:28 AM
I don't know why we would talk to Cleveland about a trade. It sounds screwed up to me however I do fell like he will be traded come draft time.

Galax Steeler
04-22-2010, 03:30 AM
Brett Favre.

Brett Favre.Brett Favre :rocket:

Galax Steeler
04-22-2010, 03:32 AM
How many people out there, ya think are hoping we have a franchise QB after the draft?

I am not saying trade Ben but my gut feeling is he will be dealt come draft time.

Galax Steeler
04-22-2010, 03:37 AM
I will stand behind there decision, I will be glad when all of this is over whatever the decision is.

illmatic
04-22-2010, 03:51 AM
Is that photo real? Because if it really is,what a damn shame.

Sadly, it's real. I've seen it being posted all over the place since Ben came into the league.

Anyway, part of me hopes he does get traded. It might be time to just rebuild and see what happens. But it's probably not the best thing to do at this point.

Steel Duck
04-22-2010, 03:57 AM
OMFG I can't believe the sh*t I am reading here!!!!! My husband told me to stay away.......I should have listened!

illmatic
04-22-2010, 04:07 AM
You guys are thinking too highly of Ben. Do you really think he can recover after all this and go back to being a top QB in the league? After 6 games of suspension??? One Hines Ward comment last season threw him off his game for over a month, what do you think a suspension will do.
Not to mention the fact that our team is a laughingstock now with our 2-time Super Bowl winning QB being accused of rape not once but twice. The Steelers have always been one of the most respected franchises in all of sports but Ben makes us look bad. Ben might be done for good

pancake
04-22-2010, 04:08 AM
Thanks,i did not know what it ment.I was trying to figure it out and got the last word right.Is there any photos of her wearing that.Thanks for helping out this grandpa and not ripping on me for not knowing.I know i should get with the times.

I haven't seen any picture of the girl, so no picture of the name tag. It was in the investigation report.

pancake
04-22-2010, 04:12 AM
Ben can not practice while he is suspended.

steelerdave1969
04-22-2010, 04:28 AM
Thats what I have heard as well Pancake. He can do none of the volluntary workouts or anything if I understood correctly which really hurts this team with or without Ben for 4 or 6 games. I really think the 6 games is rediculous myself. Michael Vick did time in prison for goodness sakes. Ben at the least sounds like he will get 4 games and that is 2 more than a man that just spent 2 years in prison got . . Just doesnt make much sense to me.

Preacher
04-22-2010, 04:32 AM
Not to mention missing out on an all-time great in '83 who was a bus ride across town.... :banging:

LOL, too true. Matter of fact, wasn't that Rooney's logic? "Hey, we missed out on Marino, we are NOT going to miss out on Roethlisberger?"

WH
04-22-2010, 04:40 AM
You guys are thinking too highly of Ben. Do you really think he can recover after all this and go back to being a top QB in the league? After 6 games of suspension??? One Hines Ward comment last season threw him off his game for over a month, what do you think a suspension will do.
Not to mention the fact that our team is a laughingstock now with our 2-time Super Bowl winning QB being accused of rape not once but twice. The Steelers have always been one of the most respected franchises in all of sports but Ben makes us look bad. Ben might be done for good
:coffee:

but they have a woman beater, alledged gang raper, and a drunken lunatic on their team......

it's a lose lose. Trade Ben, your the team that traded away the franchise QB over accusations. Keep Ben, you have an alledged, although very gentle, rapist on your team.

I hope he comes back from his suspension and the Steelers win the Super Bowl. And during his post game speech he says ''hey Roger, :upyours:''

steelerdave1969
04-22-2010, 04:41 AM
Why? Because in this league, it is easier to rebuild with the run game than it is with the pass game. We already have a front line that can run block, especially when they are told to line up and simply drive on the guy (or pulling Kemo). We still have the leagues best blocking WR and we're getting back ARE, who knows the Steelers mentality when it comes to WR's and blocking.

Preacher, I dont disagree with ya much my friend, but with this statement about our running game the past 2 seasons I can't agree. They have not been able to run when the game was on the line in the 4th quarter since Bettis left it seems like. The Offensive line is ok and Max Starks has proven to be a very viable RT. Now in my opinion if the Steelers are to get back to a good/better running team they have to fix this offensive line first and foremost.
When was the last time the Steelers lined up in the 4th quarter with a 10 point lead and Just Run The Ball Right Down Someone's Throats with a 15 play 8 minute drive to seal a win? Not since Bettis was he I bet . . . :thumbsup:

pete74
04-22-2010, 04:41 AM
there is a definate possibility he will be traded today. our only hope is that nobody is willing to offer what we want because of his suspension and bad press he brings. i just cant see how you only get one 1st round pick for a QB signed for 6 years that has 2 super bowl rings when Cutler got 2 1st rounders. i would much rather have Ben on the team then an extra 1st round pick

steelerdave1969
04-22-2010, 04:48 AM
I don't know why we would talk to Cleveland about a trade. It sounds screwed up to me however I do fell like he will be traded come draft time.

Agreed Galax about the Browns. That would be the 2nd stupid move by the Steelers in this offseason. Have owners lost their minds trading the star QB's to Division Rival Teams? I say that if your gonna trade your star QB then get him the heck out of the Conference or send him to the Raiders which seems like the destination for Ben to me. I am not one of those that wants Ben gone though. I want him here and proving that he can get his life straightened out and bring us home some more Championships known as Super Bowls in the NFL. :thumbsup:

HometownGal
04-22-2010, 05:07 AM
The best thing about the suspension is the rehabilitation. I think Ben needs it...but this post is mainly about the lack of support, hypocrisy, and cowardice of the Rooney's in this situation.

Also...hard for me to give Roger Goodell the benefit of the doubt regarding his desire to hold the starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers to a high level of integrity after the stunt Goodell pulled by destroying the tapes that provided the necessary evidence to wipe out the Patriot's Superbowl years.

Does anyone really think that Jolly Roger destroying those damning Patriot tapes had nothing to do with the Patriots owner (Robert Kraft) being Goodell's biggest supporter in getting the Commissioners job...?

Roger Goodell is a con artist and the last person who should be preaching about ethics, integrity, etc.,

^^ Spot on. :applaudit:

I agree - the behavioral counseling is the best thing to come out of this, as this hopefully will benefit our beleagured QB and help him to turn his life around.

Acerinox
04-22-2010, 05:10 AM
Can you get counselling against terminal stupidity?

Duh... Maybe I could get me some of dat!

solardave
04-22-2010, 05:30 AM

Like I said in another post it's real easy to sit back and say the Rooney's are this or that without reading the police report. The statement by the DA was "not enough to convict beyond a reasonable doubt." That doesn't mean he DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG!!!
This is a problem today, We think if we don't get caught we didn't do anything wrong. No matter who gets hurt. Back when Batch was signed the Com was not such an asshole so we didn't have a definitive conduct policy.I don't know the details of what happened with Batch so I won't say any more there.
Over 500 pages in a report we'll never see so how do we know for sure. Plus all the interviews with people that know Ben caused this. If They trade Ben today I'll be disappointed but it won't change how I fell about the Rooney's and this team. I DIDN'T PUT HIM IN THIS SITUATION AND NEITHER DID THE ROONEY FAMILY!!!

steeldawg
04-22-2010, 05:30 AM
Schefter said we are shopping him and calling teams but bouchette said we are not shopping him and teams are calling us. Espn likes to spin their info to make it seem juicy. I cant tell you how many times i saw 'breaking news in the roelithsberger case" and then i watch and they tell me the same we already knew.

RoethlisBURGHer
04-22-2010, 05:31 AM
Actually, he is banned for team activities until he visits the mental health doctors for his behavior analysis. Once he completes that; he can take part in mini-camps, OTA's, team meetings, strength and conditioning sessions, and training camp.

I would go with option #2 so we can carry three quarterbacks on the roster. Like Preacher said, by the bye week we know who gets released to make room for Ben on the 53. He would be allowed to put in his own individual work outside of the team facility, so he can still meet up with receivers somewhere and throw passes as they run routes. He will also have most of not all of the OTA's and mini-camps under his belt....not to mention training camp and preseason games. So it's not like he's going to come in without throwing a pass to a receiver since April.

Rick5895
04-22-2010, 05:33 AM
As long as they all are BS, like I believe both cases are...I don't care how many times Ben is ACCUSED. Anyone can make an accusation...and ones toward successful professional athletes really aren't all that uncommon. Another accusation would surely destroy Ben, so what's stopping another bimbo with a DTF badge from making a false accusation to try and collect? And of course to the biased media, Ben would already be found guilty and put on death row if this were to happen again

Charlie Batch himself said it best after his incident...
"These accusations are just another example of how success in sports makes someone a target."

I admire your passion for standing up and behind BB. I think the NFL and Steelers F.O. have a little more insight to this than we all do on here. I believe players and teammates were spoken to, they looked at the investigation that was done, and they all spoke to Ben, which we were not privy to. Ben said he would accept any punishment the league gave, that makes me wonder if Ben actually did something he shouldn't have. I also think that Ben has lost the locker room here and this may be a way of starting to re-gain the respect of his teammates.

The first allegation was and is a gold digger, the Rooneys supported Ben there. This one is a bit different and this also start to show a pattern. In my expereience, (25 years in law enforcement) The more accusations he gets against him, the more likely hood charges will be filed and the more likely he will be found guilty. The D.A here didn't think he could win a conviction, but there will be some that try if it happens again. All Ben has done here is make himself a bigger target for not only women but also for police departments and D.A's.
YOu are correct, that sports and being famous make people bigger targets, but in todays electronic world of video recorders and camera hones , the internet etc, why would an athlete put himself in the position Ben did especially with another allegation hanging over his head.

There is a helluva lot more to this whole incident than we forum guys and women will ever know.

WH
04-22-2010, 05:34 AM
^^ Spot on. :applaudit:

I agree - the behavioral counseling is the best thing to come out of this, as this hopefully will benefit our beleagured QB and help him to turn his life around.

As long as Ben doesn't think he did anything wrong, all the counseling in the world isn't going to help.

solardave
04-22-2010, 05:36 AM
The drunk bimbo who accused Ben was wearing a name badge that said DTF on it. You probably didn't even hear of this because it's one of the many things the media conveniently left out in a lot of reports trying to crucify Ben.

Yeah well I have a T-shirt with one of those fake name tags that says

Hello My name is "Heywood Jablome" but you better believe if a man tried to take me up on it we'd be fightin'. NO MEANS NO!!

I was raised to respect women. No matter what stage of the game you're in if she says stop you stop.

Kindjunior
04-22-2010, 05:37 AM
Its too bad we traded Tone to the Jets, a package of the two of them to the Rams would have got the deal done I bet. I respect the Rooney's choice to dump players that behave badly, I just wish they'd trade em to the NFC.:doh:

HometownGal
04-22-2010, 05:39 AM
As long as Ben doesn't think he did anything wrong, all the counseling in the world isn't going to help.

We don't have a crystal ball to predict whether Ben will or will not realize that this pattern of behavior is detrimental not only to himself, but his team. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt here and hope that this counseling will help him get his act together sooner rather than later.

SouthTexasSteel
04-22-2010, 05:55 AM
I'm a 6' 5" 240lb 2 time SB winning QB from the Pittsburgh Steelers, locked in a 100 million plus contract with millions already in the bank, and the best I can do is a 20 year old drunk off her ass college chick with a DTF button. With critical thinking skilz like that, it makes you wonder how many open receivers he missed while scrambling around in the backfield wondering where his next piece of ass was coming from....

Think about it.... dude should be banging a Hollywood retread like J Lo, Jennifer Aniston, Kim Kardashian, Jessica Simpson or some other chick that can't stay in a relationship longer than a Steelers training camp, and who also have their own money and fame!!!!

In other words, don't park your expensive car in the ghetto where someone can hate on it, when you could park in a gated community where it can be protected!!! Just sayin'!!!! :wink02:

zulater
04-22-2010, 05:58 AM
Like I said in another post it's real easy to sit back and say the Rooney's are this or that without reading the police report. The statement by the DA was "not enough to convict beyond a reasonable doubt." That doesn't mean he DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG!!!
This is a problem today, We think if we don't get caught we didn't do anything wrong. No matter who gets hurt. Back when Batch was signed the Com was not such an asshole so we didn't have a definitive conduct policy.I don't know the details of what happened with Batch so I won't say any more there.
Over 500 pages in a report we'll never see so how do we know for sure. Plus all the interviews with people that know Ben caused this. If They trade Ben today I'll be disappointed but it won't change how I fell about the Rooney's and this team. I DIDN'T PUT HIM IN THIS SITUATION AND NEITHER DID THE ROONEY FAMILY!!!

You want to see the 530+ pages GBI report, go The smoking Gun website, they're all there. I'm about halfway through. Anyway , before rushing to judgement on Ben you should do the same yourself. It's fairly obvious to anyone who sees the entire story why charges weren't filed and never will be regardless of whether missy wants to press foward or not. There was no case, the evidence that is being trotted out to the public to destroy a man is full of contradictions and inconsistentcies.

The lynching of Ben by the media and Goodell is shamefull, and I'm dissapointed that the Steelers are marching in lockstep with the mob. At some point they need to bring up the fact that there was a good reason that charges were never brought forth. Ben deserves the presumption of innocence. :mad:

NEWstevo
04-22-2010, 06:04 AM
I agree this is all BS and I do not agree with the suspension. The DA said it was a "he said, she said" issue but media and fans have only been pounding away the "she said" part.

I am looking forward to Ben coming back after the bye week.

Steeldude
04-22-2010, 06:04 AM
have any of you rooney bashers took the time to realize that the rooneys know more about what went on than we do?

for example, what if BR confessed to the rooneys that he did expose his genitals to the female; is that kind of conduct to be tolerated?

seems to me that the people against the roooneys are 20 years and younger. the future looks scary for society.

Steeldude
04-22-2010, 06:06 AM
With critical thinking skilz like that, it makes you wonder how many open receivers he missed while scrambling around in the backfield wondering where his next piece of ass was coming from

lmao

zulater
04-22-2010, 06:06 AM
We don't have a crystal ball to predict whether Ben will or will not realize that this pattern of behavior is detrimental not only to himself, but his team. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt here and hope that this counseling will help him get his act together sooner rather than later.

Does it ever occur to people that maybe he didn't do anything that wrong? He said he didn't have intercourse with the girl, the DNA evidence supports that probability. So a guy on his birthday maybe takes a girl that's followed him around from one bar to another, and been coming on to him all night to a secluded area of the club, maybe makes a move, sees she's too drunk to bother with and get back to the party. Sinner!! Devil!

God it's all so stupid. :banging:

Steeldude
04-22-2010, 06:08 AM
If they trade Ben, I might just become a Raider fan

well it appears you aren't a fan of the steelers, but rather a fan of a single player.

zulater
04-22-2010, 06:09 AM
:coffee:

but they have a woman beater, alledged gang raper, and a drunken lunatic on their team......

it's a lose lose. Trade Ben, your the team that traded away the franchise QB over accusations. Keep Ben, you have an alledged, although very gentle, rapist on your team.

I hope he comes back from his suspension and the Steelers win the Super Bowl. And during his post game speech he says ''hey Roger, :upyours:''

:toofunny:

That's a candidate for my next signature there.

:chuckle::flap:

desertsteel
04-22-2010, 06:09 AM
Stupid thread is stupid

WH
04-22-2010, 06:13 AM

I can't agree more. I just hope what you said happens.

BlastFurnace
04-22-2010, 06:15 AM
Thankfully, this trade isn't going to happen guys (from the Raiders). The Steelers are being offered nothing but a lowball offer...such as a 2nd Round pick.

docsteel
04-22-2010, 06:15 AM
Been a Steelers fan since I was a little kid in the 70's.Gotta tell you if they trade Ben I might have to just give up on them.This whole team was made for Ben.We have no running game.I'm not willing to sit and watch us become the Browns.

zulater
04-22-2010, 06:16 AM
Stupid thread is stupid

I think denying a person who wasn't so much as charged with a crime the presumption of innocence is not only stupid but dangerous. If the DA really beleived Ben guilty of criminal conduct he should have charged him even if the case wasn't a slam dunk. It happens all the time, usually if the case is marginal the DA will press their advantage the best they can with the idea of getting a plea to a lesser offense, but they don't drop the cae entirely if they think a man guilty! :banging:

Steel_Bus_24
04-22-2010, 06:23 AM
This stuff has just been way too public, and I do blame the Rooneys for that

No need to talk to the media the way they have.......release a statement and handle your damm business privately

I love the Steelers and what the Rooneys have done but I will not say they're doing the right thing in regards to handling Bens problems

The negative fans are usually the loudest and most active in getting their point across, IMO the way the Rooneyes/Goodell have reacted to all this sensationalism has only made the media hungrier to poke and prod for something more sensational

the escalation this has risen to is just absurd

It just creates a circus that is bound to rub someone on the team the wrong way....

NEWstevo
04-22-2010, 06:24 AM
Great read... it said EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Texasteel
04-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Does it ever occur to people that maybe he didn't do anything that wrong? He said he didn't have intercourse with the girl, the DNA evidence supports that probability. So a guy on his birthday maybe takes a girl that's followed him around from one bar to another, and been coming on to him all night to a secluded area of the club, maybe makes a move, sees she's too drunk to bother with and get back to the party. Sinner!! Devil!

God it's all so stupid. :banging:

I think what most people are worried about is a pattern of behaver that seems to put him at risk. This is not the first time he has been in this situation, and some think he should have known better. You have made this type of statement yourself if I remember correctly.

After looking at what he knows about the case, including an interview with Ben, the commissioner made his decision, and he must be worried about this also. I think everyone knows how I feel about the commissioner, but he is closer to the situation than I am, and the team seems to back his decision, so I will have to trust them, and hope for the best with the rest of us.

It is what it is, and people are concurred. I think that is natural and normal.

Kaeg
04-22-2010, 06:31 AM
My theory is this: They are publicizing a possible trade to accomplish two things: 1) Light a fire under Ben's @$$ to let him know they"re tired of it. 2) Appeasing the public to also show the same thing so there isn't any uproar about letting him off easy.
It's just a guess and really I'm hoping that's what it is.

Rick5895
04-22-2010, 06:48 AM
Been a Steelers fan since I was a little kid in the 70's.Gotta tell you if they trade Ben I might have to just give up on them.This whole team was made for Ben.We have no running game.I'm not willing to sit and watch us become the Browns.

WOW!!!!!! Been a fan that long and give up on them if they trade the QB. I have been a fan since the early 70's and bleed black and gold during the NFL season, (most of the rest of the year aswell, LOL). Although I respect your right to your opinion, you are not a true fan if you would switch alliances because a trade was made here. No one player is above the TEAM and this team will survive and be a playoff , if not, super bowl contender with or without Ben.
The browns we will never be, sorry, but I rarely comment on this type of thing, but recently the amount of bad wagon fans here wanting quit cheering for then Steelers if a trade is made, is very frustrating.
:tt04:

mesaSteeler
04-22-2010, 07:00 AM
Witnesses to Roethlisberger incident detail heavy drinking
Thursday, April 22, 2010
By Jonathan D. Silver, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Gene J. /Associated Presshttp://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10112/1052419-455.stm

No. 7 was finally sacked by the one player he could not escape: himself.

Renowned on the field for being able to scramble from his opponent's clutches, Ben Roethlisberger was unable off the field to avoid the consequences of a potent mix of alcohol, women and questionable conduct.

Numerous female witnesses to Mr. Roethlisberger's night of heavy partying in Milledgeville, Ga., last month described unflattering behavior by the quarterback that included providing alcohol to underage students, calling them "bitches" and making a vulgar, sexual remark to several women.

A Georgia district attorney declined last week to prosecute Mr. Roethlisberger on allegations that he raped a 20-year-old woman inside a nightclub bathroom while bar-hopping with friends near his off-season home.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell nevertheless on Wednesday issued a provisional six-game suspension for violating the league's personal conduct policy.

He said the quarterback "contributed to the irresponsible consumption of alcohol by purchasing [or facilitating the purchase of] alcoholic beverages for underage college students, at least some of whom were likely already intoxicated."

"There is no question that the excessive consumption of alcohol that evening put the students and yourself at risk," the commissioner said in a letter to Mr. Roethlisberger outlining the suspension.

"The Personal Conduct Policy also states that discipline is appropriate for conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players. By any measure, your conduct satisfies that standard."

Mr. Roethlisberger and his friends, including Steelers tackle Willie Colon, visited a half-dozen bars March 4-5, attracting attention as soon as they hit downtown Milledgeville, home to Georgia College & State University.

Student Victoria Garofalo told the Georgia Bureau of Investigation that at one bar called The Brick she told Mr. Colon she was underage -- something confirmed by the player during his own interview.

"Colon stated that he was flirting with Garofalo until he found out that she was 19 years old," the report said.

She also said she told him that two friends -- the accuser and a woman named Ann Marie Lubatti -- who later drank at the Capital City nightclub, the site of the alleged assault, were 20.

"According to Garofalo, Roethlisberger was standing next to the group while this conversation took place. Someone else in the group, who Garofalo could not identify, stated, 'I'm 15' in a joking manner, which Roethlisberger responded [to] with a comment.

"Garofalo was not certain exactly what Roethlisberger said, however, knew that he commented on that statement. As a result, Garofalo was certain that Roethlisberger heard the conversation regarding their ages and that both he and Colon were clear on how old the girls were."

At one point Mr. Roethlisberger discussed a sexually provocative name tag the accuser was wearing that she had gotten during a birthday party earlier in the evening.

Several witnesses said the name tag prompted Mr. Roethlisberger to state crudely that he enjoys having sex with women.

At one point during the evening, a bartender at The Brick said a student and co-worker named Aliesha Scholten asked Mr. Roethlisberger if he wanted to go back to their sorority house.

"Hell no," Mr. Roethlisberger is said to have responded. "That's a lawsuit waiting to happen."

It could not be determined with certainty from reading the witness statements whether Mr. Roethlisberger personally bought or directly handed any of the underage women a drink, and students gave conflicting accounts.

Off-duty Pennsylvania State Trooper Edward J. Joyner, one of Mr. Roethlisberger's friends who also worked as an assistant, paid the tab at Capital City with $160 in cash.

A friend of the accuser, Nicole Biancofiore -- underage herself and with a fake ID -- told investigators that "she does know that Ben Roethlisberger bought her friend, [the alleged victim], drinks all night but does not know what kind of drinks they were.

"Biancofiore stated that she knows that Roethlisberger purchased drinks for many underage girls at all three bars in downtown Milledgeville."

Another underage woman, Kelly Colsson, said the quarterback bought her a drink, though he did not know she was a minor.

Even as women crowded around Mr. Roethlisberger, the quarterback's entourage -- including Trooper Joyner and off-duty Coraopolis police Officer Anthony J. Barravecchio -- tried to ensure that no one snapped photos of Mr. Roethlisberger with alcohol.

"Joyner stated that he made sure that none of the girls taking a photograph with Roethlisberger had any alcohol in the photos. He stated that alcohol in the photographs would not look good for Roethlisberger's image."

Ms. Garofalo said "the bodyguards were deleting photos from people's phones that depicted Roethlisberger drinking."

Avery Lane, a friend of Mr. Roethlisberger, also lent a hand.

"Avery Lane assisted in helping make sure that Roethlisberger was not holding any drinks in any of the photos. The group generally does that so that there are no crazy public photos floating around," according to his interview with investigators.

At Capital City, Mr. Roethlisberger and his friends took over a back room where only women were allowed to enter.

Elizabeth Brooks told investigators that Mr. Roethlisberger bought at least two rounds of shots for the women in the VIP section.

"Brooks noted that Roethlisberger asked the girls what shots they wanted him to order. When the shots arrived, girls were taking them off the bar and passing them back into the crowd," a report said.

Ms. Brooks left the area when Mr. Roethlisberger allegedly said something that offended one of her friends, Kylie Wilmer.

"This was in response to a comment that Roethlisberger made when he purchased a round of shots for the girls in the VIP room. Roethlisberger stated, 'All my bitches, take some shots,' however Brooks stated that he said it in a 'party way.'

"Wilmer became upset at the comment and stated, 'Who does he think he is' and stormed out of the VIP area."

Caitin Smith, another student, described how Mr. Roethlisberger "bought alcohol shots in mass amounts and left them on the bar for anyone to take."
Jonathan D. Silver: jsilver@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1962.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10112/1052419-455.stm#ixzz0lpUOOEvy

Ricco Suavez
04-22-2010, 07:00 AM
I agree with this post in a manner. I thought two scenarios when I first read the Steelers where trying to trade Ben. First, and this one really worries me , is that the Rooneys know something that we do not. That this is not an isolated cases and it is just a matter of time til Ben does it again. Now this is just conjure but you have got to think something is there. Second scenario is this is a scare tactic like the poster says, which if true then the Rooneys left Ben out to dry with no support at all. This tactic could backfire and they lose what influence they have with him now.

WH
04-22-2010, 07:01 AM
Been saying this for weeks. Starkey stole my thoughts. GET OUT OF MY HEAD.

Ricco Suavez
04-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Around 8:40 EST

mesaSteeler
04-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Settlement offer pulled in Tahoe Roethlisberger case
Thursday, April 22, 2010
By Dan Majors, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10112/1052459-455.stm

The attorney for a woman who filed a civil lawsuit claiming Ben Roethlisberger sexually assaulted her in a Nevada resort hotel in 2008 said Wednesday that a previous offer to settle the case is no longer on the table.

"The deadline for that has passed," said Calvin R.X. Dunlap, the Reno, Nev., attorney representing a 32-year-old woman who was a VIP host at Harrah's Lake Tahoe. The woman filed her case in August 2009.

In September, Mr. Dunlap offered to drop the lawsuit if Mr. Roethlisberger admitted assaulting the plaintiff, wrote a letter of apology, and made a $100,000 donation to a Reno group that aids abused women.

William D. Cornwell Sr., a representative of Mr. Roethlisberger, rejected the offer, calling it "bizarre" and "a destructive farce."

Mr. Cornwell could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

The lawsuit remains in limbo while the Nevada Supreme Court considers a change-of-venue appeal by Mr. Roethlisberger's attorneys seeking to move the case from Reno, where it was filed, to Lake Tahoe, where the incident is alleged to have occurred.

Also in September, Mr. Roethlisberger's attorneys asked that his accuser be required to undergo a psychiatric examination. Mr. Dunlap responded with a filing that included a section saying that if a physical or psychiatric examination of his client is allowed, "a reciprocal examination" of Mr. Roethlisberger should be mandated. He also said in the motion that he would seek phone records, Internet communications, and names of any women who claimed improper sexual conduct by the quarterback.

In handing down his suspension Wednesday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Mr. Roethlisberger "must undergo a comprehensive behavioral evaluation by medical professionals."

Mr. Dunlap, who traveled to Milledgeville, Ga., earlier this month as part of his investigation into the case, would not comment on whether he would pursue the results of that evaluation.

"The sanctions imposed by Commissioner Goodell are the business of the NFL, however, the behavior of Mr. Roethlisberger in Tahoe, in Georgia, in Las Vegas and elsewhere will be part of the business of our lawsuit," Mr. Dunlap said Wednesday.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10112/1052459-455.stm#ixzz0lpVEaf2e

mesaSteeler
04-22-2010, 07:06 AM
WOW!!!!!! Been a fan that long and give up on them if they trade the QB. I have been a fan since the early 70's and bleed black and gold during the NFL season, (most of the rest of the year aswell, LOL). Although I respect your right to your opinion, you are not a true fan if you would switch alliances because a trade was made here. No one player is above the TEAM and this team will survive and be a playoff , if not, super bowl contender with or without Ben.
The browns we will never be, sorry, but I rarely comment on this type of thing, but recently the amount of bad wagon fans here wanting quit cheering for then Steelers if a trade is made, is very frustrating.
:tt04:
:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit:

Well said sir! I've been a fan since I saw my first Steelers game in the mid 1960's. For all of you who young infant newbies who do not like the way the Rooney's do business then go find another team.

VTsteel
04-22-2010, 07:06 AM
Seriously, If we trade away a proven commodity (such as Ben) for anything less than three 1st rounders - I would think we got screwed. Most likely our team will be worse off without Ben - The chances that one or even two first round QB's match up to Ben's accomplishments are very slim.

Franchise QB's do not grow on trees. We scored BIG time when we plucked Ben on Draft Day. Letting him go over ACCUSATIONS would be absurd.

I do agree Ben needs to be more responsible and carry himself like the face of our great franchise . . . But you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

pete74
04-22-2010, 07:12 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-report_raiders_wont_trade_no_8_for_big_ben_html-2010422

delhess
04-22-2010, 07:12 AM
My theory is this: They are publicizing a possible trade to accomplish two things: 1) Light a fire under Ben's @$$ to let him know they"re tired of it. 2) Appeasing the public to also show the same thing so there isn't any uproar about letting him off easy.
It's just a guess and really I'm hoping that's what it is.

3) see what he is worth

delhess
04-22-2010, 07:15 AM
wow, i have now heard everything!!!!

pete74
04-22-2010, 07:19 AM
I'm going to be one mad mother F'er if we trade ben for a mid to late 1st rounder. Denver got two 1st rounders for Cutler and he sucks. Ben won 2 super bowls and has a 91 carear QB rating

Ricco Suavez
04-22-2010, 07:22 AM
I will support Ben until something concrete is brought against him. What is bad is that now with a second accusation and suspension from the league the first Bimbo has a good chance of winning a civil suit and then the domino effect will take over. This incident in GA will be brought up in a civil matter. Any female who has ever had a chance to interact with Ben can fabricate a story and bring civil suit.

As far as the Rooneys they could very well know something we do not so I will not burn on them yet. But I will say that just because a person is accused twice does not make him any more guilty than a person accused once. Anybody remember the case of the accused rapist that like eight women ID'ed from a police lineup and it turned out he was innocent. Turns out another guy with the same build and look was the rapist. Now I did not say there is Ben look-a-like out there, but it just shows that multiple accusations does not mean guilt. I have read the 500 plus page report and I will call it like I see it and that is there was a very flimsy case for sexual assault.

plenewken
04-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Seriously, If we trade away a proven commodity (such as Ben) for anything less than three 1st rounders - I would think we got screwed.

Pass around what you're smoking, dude. Ben will NOT command three 1st rounders. Not in a million years. And the reason is he's not worth them.
Heck he might not even command two first rounders. We'll see what the offers are today, but several football analysts believe that 2 first rounders is about as high as it could get and several believe that he's worth less, considering the suspension and uncertainty regarding his future, mostly psychologically and physically.
What matters is not what he's done for us, it's what he can do in the future for another team.
By the way, I think (and I hope) the Steelers will keep him.

mesaSteeler
04-22-2010, 07:24 AM
have any of you rooney bashers took the time to realize that the rooneys know more about what went on than we do?

for example, what if BR confessed to the rooneys that he did expose his genitals to the female; is that kind of conduct to be tolerated?

seems to me that the people against the roooneys are 20 years and younger. the future looks scary for society.

You are absolutely correct. The future does look scary.

Steelers17
04-22-2010, 07:27 AM
[/B]

Fron NBC Sports:
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36705265/ns/sports-nfl/

delhess
04-22-2010, 07:28 AM
it smells of desperation. i hope they don't settle for whatever they can get

Steel_12
04-22-2010, 07:30 AM
My only question,l where was his suspension? Not even one game.

How is it allegations can now violate personal conduct code?

Seems a little "Salem, Massachusetts" to me.

Dude...different commish!

mesaSteeler
04-22-2010, 07:30 AM
well it appears you aren't a fan of the steelers, but rather a fan of a single player.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

Steel_Bus_24
04-22-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm going to be one mad mother F'er if we trade ben for a mid to late 1st rounder. Denver got two 1st rounders for Cutler and he sucks. Ben won 2 super bowls and has a 91 carear QB rating

ugh....I don't even want to think about how Mad/sad Ill be if:

A: We trade Ben even for a blockbuster deal

B: We get bs value on top of trading him

C. Ben screws up again

Ricco Suavez
04-22-2010, 07:32 AM
The Rooneys if they really wanted to get rid of Ben have hurt their chances in the way they are going about this. The Rooneys are not the only smart people in the league, by shopping their star QB almost immediately after the suspension raises all sorts of questions about what other baggage could be in Ben's closet. If they all sincerely fed up with this, then they have lowered Ben's value by appearing anxious to trade. Other teams will be leery of this. If on the other hand this is just a ploy to set Ben straight then it could work or backfire by alienating Ben even more. Time will tell.

Steel_12
04-22-2010, 07:34 AM
Big Ben pays for wrong-headed decisions
Jason Whitlock

Listening to the naive and dishonest media discussion about the latest sexual assault allegation leveled at Ben Roethlisberger, you'd think Usher (and maybe Rick Pitino) was the only other American who wants to make "love in this club."

No wonder NFL commissioner Roger Goodell had such a difficult time ruling on how long to suspend the Pittsburgh quarterback. On Wednesday, Goodell banned Roethlisberger for six games.

It's a fair suspension. Unfortunately, PacBen's transgressions have never been put in proper perspective for the public.

Tiger Woods life coach Herm Edwards declared that Big Ben's "moral compass" is out of whack. Moralizing, shallow newspaper and Internet columnists blasted the 28-year-old Roethlisberger for fishing in a college bar with the oldest lure in the book (alcohol).

And race-baiting simpletons wanted to keep a racial scorecard on how Goodell and the Steelers handled PacBen as opposed to Pacman Jones and kicked-to-the-curb Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes.

A lifetime ban for Big Ben wouldn't have cleaned up the stench of Donte Stallworth's DUI manslaughter, Michael Vick's Bad Newz Kennel, Plaxico Burress' gun conviction, Rae Carruth's baby-mama murder, Pacman's strip-club wilding ... should I carry on?

Now that we know the penalty, let's discuss PacBen in something resembling proper context. There is no doubt Roethlisberger is an idiot worthy of suspension. What I've yet to hear or read is a fair justification for why he deserved punishment.

When the Georgia police released the details of the notes it took during its investigation of Roethlisberger, the media cherry-picked and repeated the alleged "eyewitness" accounts as though they were as unimpeachable as a video replay.

According to the "witnesses," Roethlisberger's bodyguards dragged the accuser to the bathroom, blocked the entrance into the bathroom and Roethlisberger approached the accuser with his penis exposed.

Once these accounts were introduced as "evidence" into the court of public opinion, broadcasters and pundits had all the ammo they needed to convict Ben as "disgusting" and call for Goodell to take swift and hard action.

It was completely irresponsible. Statements made by drunken sorority girls are not facts. Statements made by sober sorority girls about an evening spent bar-hopping and drinking are not facts.

Late last week I received an e-mail from a former sorority president and current advisor to a sorority. She warned me that the media were being foolish for believing the allegations of drunken 20-somethings. She explained what she'd witnessed firsthand as a student and what she now deals with as an advisor.

Some young women use alcohol as an excuse to be sexually aggressive at fraternity houses and nightclubs and then quickly concoct a story of sexual assault when confronted by their disapproving peers. Most of these allegations never make it to police headquarters. The allegations are too sketchy and the accuser's immediate jury of peers reject them.

"I don't believe a bunch of hammered sorority girls in this situation," the former sorority president wrote. "I've seen too much bad behavior amongst them. It's all about having fun and then making sure you're not held accountable and your reputation is still good."

Big Ben's accuser was allegedly wearing a name tag that read DTF -- "down to f---." She engaged in a lewd and highly flirtatious conversation with Roethlisberger.

It's 2010 not 1910. Women vote, drive cars and knock boots at their own discretion. The popular R&B singer Usher makes songs targeted at women. His 2008 smash hit "Love in this Club" was most popular with women. Getting busy in the bathroom or getting a special "bottle service" at a VIP table are nowhere near as rare as joining the "mile high club."

If you read the police accounts, the accuser's sorority sisters drove this case. If Ben's bodyguards dragged the accuser to the bathroom, you could make the argument that her sorority sisters dragged her to the police.

Her initial story to the police was weak at best and made absolutely no sense at worst.

The case was so flimsy that Big Ben was never even arrested. Once she sobered up, the accuser didn't even cooperate with the police.

Let me repeat: PacBen is a freaking idiot who deserved to be suspended. Off the field, he thinks with the wrong head. In pursuit of a wham-bam, he's twice -- that we know of -- placed himself in a vulnerable position.

But the ugly truth is Ben isn't all that different from a lot of guys and girls who use alcohol as their aphrodisiac of choice. Any woman who has belonged to a prominent sorority has heard the lecture about safety rules to follow when entering a male fraternity house for a mixer/party.

"Don't drink the punch. It might be laced with a roofie."

"Don't go anywhere in the house alone."

The rules are reminders that no matter how nice the guy might sound there's a damn good chance he's looking for one-night-stand sex or trying to set up a train. Some of the women are looking for the exact same thing.

So why did Ben deserve suspension?

As Terry Bradshaw eloquently and appropriately explained, Ben doesn't know who he is and what position he holds. He's a millionaire franchise quarterback, an ambassador for the Steelers and the city of Pittsburgh.

He's not Usher, a rock-star sex symbol. NFL players, particularly high-profile quarterbacks, don't get to make "love in this club." That kind of behavior is way too high risk for someone under Ben's spotlight.

PacBen is no different from Pacman. They run with dumb posses. I don't know Goodell's reasoning for the length of Ben's suspension. But the commissioner should've hammered Ben for his "security" staff. Allegedly, Ben's bodyguards kept the bathroom safe from intruders while Ben attempted to or did make "love in this club."

Think about it. Ben basically hired men to hand him KY Jelly and condoms and stand guard while he had public sex. His instructions should've been this:

"Guys, if I get liquored up tonight and try to bang one of these girls, tackle me, drag me to the car, take me to my hotel, guard the door and make sure no one gets into the room with me while I'm drunk."

The accuser's sorority sisters were smarter and more mature than Ben's "bodyguards."

That should've served as the basis of Goodell's suspension.

We don't have a clue about whether the alleged bathroom sex between two drunken idiots was consensual. And we have even less knowledge about how Ben's "moral compass" compares to Herm's, Ben's peers, Goodell's or the broadcasters/pundits morally hyperventilating because Ben likes pretty young thangs.

What we know is Ben is clueless about how he should conduct himself given his position of responsibility.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/why-big-ben-really-deserved-the-suspension

Blah Jason Whitlock is a clown!

Steelers>NFL
04-22-2010, 07:37 AM
Oakland is smart for a change. WOW!
Looks like we are stuck with BB.

delhess
04-22-2010, 07:38 AM
The Rooneys if they really wanted to get rid of Ben have hurt their chances in the way they are going about this. The Rooneys are not the only smart people in the league, by shopping their star QB almost immediately after the suspension raises all sorts of questions about what other baggage could be in Ben's closet. If they all sincerely fed up with this, then they have lowered Ben's value by appearing anxious to trade. Other teams will be leery of this. If on the other hand this is just a ploy to set Ben straight then it could work or backfire by alienating Ben even more. Time will tell.

i disagree. i think it is simply that they are out of time. they had to have the suspension announced before they traded him, and they have to trade him before the draft so they can manage their draft picks. the simply have no time to get a deal done, they had no choice but to put the word out.

Steelers>NFL
04-22-2010, 07:39 AM
[/B]

Maybe they are 28 and under. Dumba$$es like Big Ben.
Young people today want everything handed to them on a silver plate.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-22-2010, 07:45 AM
I like this move by her as I think it drastically helps Ben.

1) He was not settling anyway, so who cares that she pulled it.
2) Bens counter suit I believe is still on going?
3) Ben will no doubt have to take the stand
4) Her defence will surely use the NFL as proof of guilt
5) Ben's lawyers will totally blast the NFL and their anti trust rules and holyier than though attitude as not being realy world worthy when it comes to these things. Where as Ben can't say anything now to blast anyone, he surely under oath can without repercussions either.

WH
04-22-2010, 07:47 AM

Stuck? Stuck?! STUCK!? With a 2 time SB champion QB? Stuck?! Are you kidding me?

:banging::banging:

Curtain_of_Steel
04-22-2010, 07:48 AM
The PA should challenge it. We do think they would be scared to take on the NFL? In case you haven't noticed they do it all the time.

This ruling by goodell states we will do anything we want, under the conduct policy. WE NFL not you determines conduct unbecoming. What does conduct unbecoming mean? Is there a 1,000 point no do list?

This is like the patriot act where you can be arrested for jay walking.

mikegrimey
04-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Thank goodness the Raiders passed, outside of Jacksonville, that eliminates almost every possibly taker in the top 10.

I'm dreadiing that we'll trade Ben and get stuck in QB limbo for years to come again. I think the guy is too good not to get a last chance to get himself together. On the field he's never been a question mark, if we can weather the first 4 games without him, we got a real chance of making some noise this year.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Good, between the Stains and the Raiders those were 2 jerseys I didn't want to wear anywhere, lol.

I want SF boths 1's if he goes anywhere. Seattles boths 1's would be nice too. I just dont see the steelers eating all of bens signing bonus than paying out some huge signing bonus to someone else. Makes no sense at all, and that is unsteeler like and we all know it.

Besides that he doesn't deserve to go any places else other than here. Hopefully the PA appeals this and gets it down to 2 which is still 2 to much.

truesteelerfan
04-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Seriously, If we trade away a proven commodity (such as Ben) for anything less than three 1st rounders - I would think we got screwed. Most likely our team will be worse off without Ben - The chances that one or even two first round QB's match up to Ben's accomplishments are very slim.

Franchise QB's do not grow on trees. We scored BIG time when we plucked Ben on Draft Day. Letting him go over ACCUSATIONS would be absurd.

I do agree Ben needs to be more responsible and carry himself like the face of our great franchise . . . But you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Perfectly said. He's the best qb we've had in a quarter century. Lots of Steeler fans on this board never saw Bradshaw play- and some people on here are in support of trading Ben...I just don't understand it.

As far as we know, he did nothing wrong.....Don't all Steeler fans LIKE winning? Cause if we trade Ben, get used to losing. To steal someone else's line on here on a thread...One player doesn't make a team, but losing one can break it.

slippy
04-22-2010, 08:01 AM
we'll see how much thanks he gets when there is no football next year!

Ricco Suavez
04-22-2010, 08:01 AM
i disagree. i think it is simply that they are out of time. they had to have the suspension announced before they traded him, and they have to trade him before the draft so they can manage their draft picks. the simply have no time to get a deal done, they had no choice but to put the word out.

I in a way agree with this , but the lack of time contributes to this appearing to be a trade of "desperation". Anytime someone feels that a time line is involved, and in this case a team appearing to want to unload a troubled star it will be hard to get top value.

ARKIESTEEL
04-22-2010, 08:03 AM
If Ben is our QB next year GREAT, if we have that kid Timmy off Southpark as our QB I will still be throwing on my Steelers gear ever Sunday and watching the game. I hope as much as I can hope that we keep Ben so we dont have to go back thru the how many ever QB's we had between Ben and Terry B............Ben screwed up ok lets get past it, we all have made mistakes in our lives and we have not lost 6 weeks of work over it.

To throw away ones team over one player to me says a lot about the person that would do it........................take that however you like

SteelerEmpire
04-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Well. The damage has been done. No use in Bit***g and complaining anymore. The Steelers (it appears) have been actively seeking to trade Ben and he's got a 6 game (possibly more, maybe less) suspension. Perhaps he can help his public image... and maybe get a reduction of his suspension... by using Tony Dungy as a mentor ? I don't know....
Damage done, now its clean up time.

pete74
04-22-2010, 08:08 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=tsn-raidersnotinterested

Jacksonville and the Bills don't want him either

truesteelerfan
04-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Good article! So is the commissioner King? How do we get rid of him?

pete74
04-22-2010, 08:10 AM
Good, between the Stains and the Raiders those were 2 jerseys I didn't want to wear anywhere, lol.

I want SF boths 1's if he goes anywhere. Seattles boths 1's would be nice too. I just dont see the steelers eating all of bens signing bonus than paying out some huge signing bonus to someone else. Makes no sense at all, and that is unsteeler like and we all know it.

Besides that he doesn't deserve to go any places else other than here. Hopefully the PA appeals this and gets it down to 2 which is still 2 to much.

Nobody will trade two 1st rounders for him, hell nobody wants to trade 1 top 10 pick for him

SteelerEmpire
04-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Ben should secretly hire some private investigators and investigate Goodell's a$$... I just know he's got something going on... people like that usually do.

isunormalil
04-22-2010, 08:17 AM

I would imagine Ben will get the hint after this suspension. I am not sure he is guilty of anything but terrible judgement. if he hasn't learned his lesson by now...then he should be shipped out the next violation...regardless of the violation.

Oakland is stupid. They should take Ben and run. There is a reason teams will lose year in and out. They will not get a qb with the stature of Ben with that 8th pick. I guess there is a reason they draft in the top 10 every year!

isunormalil
04-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Nobody will trade two 1st rounders for him, hell nobody wants to trade 1 top 10 pick for him

I bet in 2 more years they will. We win another SB...and they all would come calling.

SteelerFanInStl
04-22-2010, 08:20 AM
If Ben gets traded then Arians needs to go also. Without Ben we have no choice but to go to a run heavy offense which Arians isn't capable of. We don't have a QB on the roster that's capable of replacing Ben in Arians offense. The Ben trade would have to be followed by an OL and CB in the first 2 rounds of the draft and we also would need to draft a power RB and a FB. I'm not bashing Arians but he just doesn't fit without Ben.

SteelerFanInStl
04-22-2010, 08:23 AM
You know why? Because the Steelers aren't really shopping him.

fansince'76
04-22-2010, 08:26 AM

This. I can't wait until tonight's picks are made so this ridiculous BS can be put to bed.

Steel_Bus_24
04-22-2010, 08:27 AM
yeah again this is just horrible management by our FO right now

It really looks like because we've never had to deal with this sort of stuff before....we're just panicking

plenewken
04-22-2010, 08:27 AM

I agree. They won't let him go. The whole offensive team and offensive strategy is build around him.

Steelers>NFL
04-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Stuck? Stuck?! STUCK!? With a 2 time SB champion QB? Stuck?! Are you kidding me?

Dude, I am being sarcastic... :sofunny:

Dino 6 Rings
04-22-2010, 08:29 AM

I agree 100% its all about proving a point to Ben that they are unhappy. They won't really get rid of him. Not really.

By the way, Oakland and Al Davis will NEVER do anything that it feels would benefit the Steelers in anyway...he's hated us since 1972...figure it out.

Fire Haley
04-22-2010, 08:29 AM
The Rooney's are dumping Ben on the side of the road, he'll have to find his own way back.

Steelers signal Roethlisberger's on his own

PITTSBURGH (AP) — Ben Roethlisberger is on his own this time.

The Pittsburgh Steelers stood behind their quarterback when he wrecked his motorcycle while riding helmet-less in 2006, tsk-tsking his immaturity yet eagerly welcoming him to training camp a month later.

Coach Mike Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert lined up with Roethlisberger last year at a news conference when he angrily denied assaulting a Nevada hotel employee. The look in their eyes said: Ben's still our guy.

Nobody is standing with Roethlisberger now.

His teammates are publicly supporting him but, of course, that's what teammates do. But if Roethlisberger anticipated one of the most image-protective franchises in pro sports treating his six-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy as routine business, he got a surprise.

The Steelers are mad. They're out of patience. They're so determined to put Roethlisberger's off-field problems behind them, they spent time Wednesday weighing whether they'd trade their two-time Super Bowl winner if they got the right offer.

If Roethlisberger's pending behavioral evaluation and the knowledge he can't play until October don't scare him straight, the Steelers reason, perhaps the thought of being traded to a last-place team will do it.

"I agree and support the decision the commissioner made, the discipline for Ben Roethlisberger," Steelers president Art Rooney II said. "I commented last week that discipline was appropriate in this case and we were prepared to impose discipline if the commissioner felt it appropriate to go that way."

If Roethlisberger wants to go on playing, Rooney said, he must do it the NFL's way. The Steelers' way, too.

Because of the terms of the suspension, the Steelers might not see Roethlisberger again until training camp.

Rooney's dad, Steelers chairman Dan Rooney, remains in town, too. The U.S. ambassador to Ireland and one of the NFL's most influential owners has been stuck in town because of the volcanic eruption in Iceland. The Roethlisberger crisis also might have persuaded him to stick around.

When news of Roethlisberger's suspension was flashed on the PNC Park scoreboard during the Brewers-Pirates game Wednesday night, many fans in the crowd cheered.

"I think if Ben has shown anything, it's that he's able to recover whenever he has been faced with adversity," safety Troy Polamalu said. "Everything is not always peachy. Not everybody has that unblemished image. If he has that repentance, the way he is going to have to have it to continue to live his life, this will be the great example of that."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iP-BtJ3bxItDKyPsjvLXI5B8KfmAD9F7R3E00

ysgi
04-22-2010, 08:31 AM

You are in the middle of the state. Feel free to break free of the BB chains and become a Philly fan. PLEASE.

-ysgi

***FREE BEN***

Steelers>NFL
04-22-2010, 08:31 AM
I agree 100% its all about proving a point to Ben that they are unhappy. They won't really get rid of him. Not really.

By the way, Oakland and Al Davis will NEVER do anything that it feels would benefit the Steelers in anyway...he's hated us since 1972...figure it out.
How does a threat to trade him prove a point? He will still get paid one way or the other. Wether it is the Steelers, Raiders or Browns. I really do not think he cares where he really plays.

fansince'76
04-22-2010, 08:32 AM
This stuff has just been way too public, and I do blame the Rooneys for that

No need to talk to the media the way they have.......release a statement and handle your damm business privately

I love the Steelers and what the Rooneys have done but I will not say they're doing the right thing in regards to handling Bens problems

The negative fans are usually the loudest and most active in getting their point across, IMO the way the Rooneyes/Goodell have reacted to all this sensationalism has only made the media hungrier to poke and prod for something more sensational

the escalation this has risen to is just absurd

It just creates a circus that is bound to rub someone on the team the wrong way....

More like the media running with bullshit unsubstantiated rumors and the gullible masses swallowing it unquestioningly and coming back for seconds.

Steelers>NFL
04-22-2010, 08:34 AM
You are in the middle of the state. Feel free to break free of the BB chains and become a Philly fan. PLEASE.

We don't need your kind. Never did - Never will.

-ysgi

***FREE BEN***

I've been a Steeler fan since the mid 70z, thick and thru. I am not going anywhere.
With or without BB. The Steelers were here before him, and they will be here long after he is gone (with his ego and problems). I am just on the fence about him here or gone. This does not make me any less a fan than last year when they won the SB.
:tt04: :tt04: :tt04:
So screw you jabroni...

ysgi
04-22-2010, 08:35 AM
I disagree. He WANTS to be a steeler - unless the fanbase turns on him. But no one WANTS to be a brownie.

-ysgi

**FREE BEN***

drucifer
04-22-2010, 08:37 AM
The best help Ben could possibly receive comes from the Lord God Almighty.

Dino 6 Rings
04-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Its all about Public Relations.

"Hey, we are mad at the guy too, which is why we are looking to trade him"

behind the scenes "get your butt in shape, we aren't trading a 2 time winning SB champion QB, we just need the fans to think we'd be willing to so we can still sell jerseys"

That's all it is. Nothing more.

Ben will need to conduct himself in a more mature manner, yes, the broad was literally wearing a tag that read Down to Fck. But a smart starting QB of an NFL Team, doesn't tag that broad, he dates someone else that is just as high profile as he is. A smart starting QB of an NFL Team doesn't bang college chicks. Not unless she is also the starting center for her College Basketball team and is heading to the WNBA, or is a Golf Pro, or is an Olympic Swimmer. Something, anything other than some dirty tramp in a bar in Georgia. Seriously. That's what he's being punished for...Poor Judgement. That's it.

ysgi
04-22-2010, 08:38 AM
I've been a Steeler fan since the mid 70z, thick and thru. I am not going anywhere.
With or without BB. The Steelers were here before him, and they will be here long after he is gone (with his ego and problems). I am just on the fence about him here or gone. This does not make me any less a fan than last year when they won the SB.
:tt04: :tt04: :tt04:
So screw you jabroni...

So what did he do that is keeping you 'on the fence'
Be specific. Dont tell me 'he keeps putting himself in these stupid situations'. Thats not an answer. Thats a cop-out. But thats all I really expect from you.

-ysgi

***FREE BEN***

Dino 6 Rings
04-22-2010, 08:42 AM
You want the Rooney's to change? Change the People of Pittsburgh's attitude. I was up in the Burgh for 5 days last week, and the local radio was Killing Ben, out of 10 callers, 8 trashed the guy, mothers with kids saying they wouldn't let the kids wear his Jersey...blah blah blah...you want the Rooneys to change their perception, start calling in the same shows with Pro Ben statements. It has to be done, once the locals stop throwing the guy out with the bath water, then the Rooneys will pull back as well.

Right now, they are attempting to reflect what they believe are the feelings of the Local Steelers Fans. I heard it for 5 days, non-stop. it was pretty ridiculous. Nothing but trashing the guy. call up the same shows and bring up the DTF Tag, bring up the Twitter and Facebook accounts being torn down off the internet because they likely showed a pattern of behavior from this group of chicks. Bring up that Ben was with TWO cops, wasn't doing anything wrong legally, just made a bad judgement call and sure, he was probably a little buzzed, but it was also reported the girls followed him from bar to bar and she even pinched him to get his attention.

jeremiah1484
04-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Let me put it like this Ben Roethlisberger is a mid twenty year old man who has made millions of dollars who is single and likes to party. With that said what broke ass college ****ty woman who was already sneaking into bars and deceiving people about her age would not deceive people about what really happened. Sounds like money in the bank to me poor me I am 20 years old at a bar I dont drink like that and then I was to drunk and he took advantage of me. I would believe it if someone told me Obama was white before I would believe this trick.You show me an underage girl in a bar and I will show you a girl who likes to party and maybe be a little lose with her virginity.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Tony Dungy?

If I recall he couldn't control his own house, what makes this guy walk on water? Next someone will say perhaps Andy Reid can help.

Steelers>NFL
04-22-2010, 08:47 AM
So what did he do that is keeping you 'on the fence'
Be specific. Dont tell me 'he keeps putting himself in these stupid situations'. Thats not an answer. Thats a cop-out. But thats all I really expect from you.

-ysgi

***FREE BEN***

:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::b lah:

Vincent
04-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Has nothing to do with anything...but way to not answer my question hypocrite.

Your sig "has nothing to do with anything", but mine is an affront to all mankind. Right? Can you possibly see that mine has nothing more to do with anything than I like Silverback and the graphic? Am I on the stand for something here? I haven't had my evaluation. I demand my rights.

I think Ben is innocent, therefore my sig is just a joke.

In my own hypocritical way, I can see the humor in that.

There is no doubt Harrison was NOT innocent. He admitted that he slapped around the mother of his child...

Who said Silverback was innocent? I expressed my regret at his behavior at that time as well. As nearly as I can determine, all is well at the Silverback ranch and with the Steelers. Baby Mamma is at home with Junior. The team gave him a huge contract. Perhaps I'm blinded by hypocrisy, but I fail to see the hypocrisy.

...but you act like that is no big deal when you go on your rants trash talking Ben for accusations...

First, I don't rant. I usually think, then post. Second, in all I have said about Ben I have commented on his behavior and how it has damaged himself, his family, the team, and this city. That is my opinion based on my observations. If I were to have commented otherwise, then I would be a hypocrite. Do you follow?

Come on hypocrite...respond to this without jumping around it.

Some might view your posture as provocative, even taunting. I don't though. Its consistent with your signature.

Have I been direct enough for you?

Let me now ask you a question. The vehemence of your ought against my comments, in light of the behavior you defend, seems, well, hypocritical. I expressed my opinion. That's what we do here. Is that some sort of "offense"?

xXTheSteelKingsXx
04-22-2010, 08:50 AM
A bit off topic but did anyone see the trick you can do with Bradford's name?

S A M B R A D F O R D= BADD FOR RAMS or BAD FOR D RAMS

Thought it was kind of funny.

SteelerFanInStl
04-22-2010, 08:52 AM
This. I can't wait until tonight's picks are made so this ridiculous BS can be put to bed.

Yep, you and me both. I'm so tired of this crap.

ysgi
04-22-2010, 08:53 AM
This is an Employee/Employer issue, nothing to due with the constitutional freedom issue you speak of. Its simple, Ben got $102 million contract to play football and adhere to the clauses in his contract. One of which has to do with personal conduct or "morality". He violated their agreement, and now hes recieving punishment. He admitted he would accept whatever ruling the NFL rendered. If this is remotely questionable, you can bet the players union will be all over it. My bet is they don't touch it with a10' pole.

Thanks for half proving my point. Tell me where Ben broke that personal conduct policy. Seriously, WHAT DID HE DO? Rape - No. Sexual Assult - No. Drink in a bar - YES. Maybe, MAYBE have sex with an ADULT - yes/no - DOESNT MATTER. ITS NOT WRONG. And the DA told ya so.

I don't even really like the guy, but in my book HE HASN'T done ANYTHING wrong.

-ysgi

***FREE BEN***

04-22-2010, 08:53 AM
It couldn't hurt. It helped Mike Vick get his 6 game suspension reduced to 2 games last season ( I know different circumstances). Also Dungy was drafted by the Steelers, and got his professional coaching career started with the Steelers, for what it is worth. Anything that shows contrition will only help Ben's cause in the long run.

SteelKid212
04-22-2010, 08:55 AM
I am not saying trade Ben but my gut feeling is he will be dealt come draft time.

i have that saaaame gut feeling galax......... :uhh:

Dino 6 Rings
04-22-2010, 08:55 AM
No, I don't hope he's traded. I hope he keeps his nose clean, donates his first 2 playing checks to a local charity in Pittsburgh, like a Childrens Shelter (can never go wrong when donating to kids) and keeps his chin up and lives up to the expectations of being a QB in the spot light.

As far as I'm concerned, what we have is Bad Decision Making. One Crazy "I want Ben's baby" Girl, and one drunken Sorrority "Down To Fck" Girl who's friends freaked out.

That's it.

Indo
04-22-2010, 08:57 AM

FINALLY!

The voice of reason!

In Art II's own words:

"Ben has rejoined the team and participating in our offseason conditioning program. We allowed Ben to do this after being convinced that he was sincerely contrite for his actions as well as having Ben's assurance that he's firmly committed to working every day to regain the trust and respect of this organization and Steelers fans. After imposing an appropriate level of discipline, and outlining the steps we feel will be necessary to be a successful player and person, we intend to allow Ben the opportunity to prove to us that he's the teammate and citizen we all know he's capable of being. And we hope the entire Steelers community will allow Ben the opportunity to prove to them that he deserves their trust and respect."

Does anybody REALLY think that Art II would say he was gonna give Ben a chance to prove himself and then, less than 2 weeks later, shop Ben around?
The Rooneys are trying to Save Face by appearing to want to shop Ben around. They won't Lose Face by going against a statement made in a very public (press conference) setting and leave themselves open to even more media scrutiny.

Ben WILL NOT be traded
write it down again

+NuBbS+
04-22-2010, 08:58 AM

i agree. and personally i dont think it will be for a top 10 pick either. it might be for some type of packaged deal.

Steelers>NFL
04-22-2010, 09:02 AM
FINALLY!

The voice of reason!

In Art II's own words:

"Ben has rejoined the team and participating in our offseason conditioning program. We allowed Ben to do this after being convinced that he was sincerely contrite for his actions as well as having Ben's assurance that he's firmly committed to working every day to regain the trust and respect of this organization and Steelers fans. After imposing an appropriate level of discipline, and outlining the steps we feel will be necessary to be a successful player and person, we intend to allow Ben the opportunity to prove to us that he's the teammate and citizen we all know he's capable of being. And we hope the entire Steelers community will allow Ben the opportunity to prove to them that he deserves their trust and respect."

Does anybody REALLY think that Art II would say he was gonna give Ben a chance to prove himself and then, less than 2 weeks later, shop Ben around?
The Rooneys are trying to Save Face by appearing to want to shop Ben around. They won't Lose Face by going against a statement made in a very public (press conference) setting and leave themselves open to even more media scrutiny.

Ben WILL NOT be traded
write it down again

He has a lot of "proving" to do...
And he claims he wants to be a role model. LOL!

Fire Haley
04-22-2010, 09:04 AM
I would totally kick him in the nuts.

Form a line - tap and move up.

SteelKid212
04-22-2010, 09:06 AM
ben can only help his case by listening to Roger Goddell Allmighty. :doh:

Vincent
04-22-2010, 09:07 AM
I could careless what their morals are...as long as they aren't charged criminally and continue to play well on the field I welcome any thug or bum or however you want to put it on the Steelers.

Well that certainly passes my hypocrisy test. And its consistent with your signature.

So you're OK with Silverback then, I take it. Not that I'm suggesting he's a thug or a bum.

I've had this argument too many times on here and am not going to get into it again.

That's a clever technique. I'm going to use that if I ever chose to deflect.

stlrtruck
04-22-2010, 09:11 AM
IF Ben leaves, then see you later! No one player is above the team....EVER!

stlrtruck
04-22-2010, 09:12 AM
If I was a player in the NFL I would be scared to death to just drink a beer as long as Goodell is in power... Man, I would hate working in an environment like that... they would HAVE to pay me millions to do that...

I'd be scared to step out of the locker room to go to my car without security around me.

Steeldude
04-22-2010, 09:12 AM
Do we honestly think that Byron Leftwhich is going to get us anywhere?

who is saying leftwich is the answer? he is most likely a stop-gap if they do indeed trade BR.

MACH1
04-22-2010, 09:14 AM
No, but it's not as easy as just plugging QB "X" in and picking right up where you left off like a lot of people here seem to think it is either. Living in Broncos country, I've had a front row seat in watching the Broncos try in vain for over a decade to replace a franchise QB and winning a grand total of one playoff game in the meantime. Never mind our own drought of 2+ decades between franchise QBs from 1983 to 2004.

What are you talking about? We can plug in the 3rd stringer that can't beat out an old man for the #2 spot and win it all. :rolleyes:

stlrtruck
04-22-2010, 09:14 AM
Not bad, not great. Tebow won't be there in the 3rd round, he will go late ! or very early 2.

Trade to Oakland for their number 1 and AS... Trade out of 8 to 12 gain another 2. Take Haden, as he will not last. Take Pouncey at 18. Use the the 2 you just acquired and a 5 to move up to take Tebow. With your 2, your take Gerhardt from Stanford. Next pick is a WR.

Ok back to reality, they better not trade Ben.

Yes sir :iagree:

Steeldude
04-22-2010, 09:16 AM
I've had this argument too many times on here and am not going to get into it again.

you just registered this april. why do i get the feeling this is a previously banned member?

Steel_Bus_24
04-22-2010, 09:16 AM
I'll want to take a baseball bat to a couch or something if we're that stupid and trade away possibly the next decade

I'll be beyond furious

pete74
04-22-2010, 09:19 AM
It's not a question of whether you belive there shopping him or not because they are. They are definatly listening to trade offers for him. Odds are nobody will ever want to pay what he is worth and therfor will hopefully be back with us after his suspension but that's not gurenteed

Stu Pidasso
04-22-2010, 09:19 AM
It just shows the NFL has a stricter code for sexual abuse than the Vatican

I LOL'd. Post of the week.

Shoes
04-22-2010, 09:24 AM
....your right about that!

Godfather
04-22-2010, 09:24 AM
So...Al Davis thinks Darius Heyward Bey is worth a high first rounder, but Big Ben isn't?

fansince'76
04-22-2010, 09:26 AM
It's not a question of whether you belive there shopping him or not because they are.

Why? Because Schefter says so? Other teams contacting the Steelers instead of the other way around to see if they can get a sweetheart deal for Ben like the Jets got with Holmes (they won't) is not equivalent to the Steelers "shopping him around."

stlrtruck
04-22-2010, 09:27 AM
What's sad is that I've got to wait from now until after the draft to determine if Ben is going to be traded or not?

This is ridiculous. These knee jerk reactions are the reason Goodell has too much dang power in the NFL. While Ben's actions/choices aren't ones I would make, this is the time that the team, players, and fans need to stand behind him.

It's even more sad that as a fan we stand behind our players when they are out winning Super Bowls but at a moments notice of trouble we are willing to throw them under a bus.

stlrtruck
04-22-2010, 09:28 AM
NO NO NO NO NO NO....

Did I say NO

I do not want to spend the next 5-10 years waiting for another franchise QB while teams like baltimore and cincinnati continue forward with their improvements.

stlrtruck
04-22-2010, 09:30 AM
I say keep him on the roster. Less opportunity for him to do something 'stoopid' during the suspension.

Steel_Bus_24
04-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Why? Because Schefter says so? Other teams contacting the Steelers instead of the other way around to see if they can get a sweetheart deal for Ben like the Jets got with Holmes (they won't) is not equivalent to the Steelers "shopping him around."

on ESPN First Take the raiders affiliate said the Steelers contacted them

FWIW

stlrtruck
04-22-2010, 09:31 AM
I know in my college days I did the same thing (without the sexual contact in the bathroom). I guess the difference is that I don't make 10 million a year!

Prok
04-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Form a line - tap and move up.

LOL

stlrtruck
04-22-2010, 09:34 AM
I guess giving him an opportunity to prove that he's a man of his words is no longer a good thing here?

I mean what ever happen to someone saying they are sorry, and moving forward to prove it. Can you really determine in a few hours that a man is sincere about his words without giving him time to put them in to action?

fansince'76
04-22-2010, 09:35 AM
on ESPN First Take the raiders affiliate said the Steelers contacted them

FWIW

http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_14932481

FWIW.

Steel_Bus_24
04-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Ben just loves Chappelle's Show

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/mickyme/im-rick-james-bitch.png

MACH1
04-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Imagine that, heavy drinking and partying in a bar.

Underage girls in a bar is ben's fault how?

SteelCityMom
04-22-2010, 09:37 AM
I'm 42 and life long Steelers fan.

I probably won't turn my Steelers card in over that trade but I damn sure would be VERY disappointed with Art II.

It just sets a BAD example that we can basically throw away players and choose not to help them improve on mistakes IMO.

I'm with you on this. I also am very disappointed with the suspension (and the Rooneys quick acceptance of it) as well. I think it sets a dangerous precedent for future NFL suspensions. And I can't imagine they have any kind of rock solid proof that Ben did something grossly illegal (meaning beyond maybe having sex in a bathroom). I think if they did there would still be criminal charges.

I may not like Ben the person right now, and am at times conflicted about what he may or may not have done, but I just don't like where this whole situation is going. Maybe it'll help all NFL players to keep their noses a little cleaner, but all it's gonna take now is some chick throwing around accusations to get a player suspended and possibly traded.

I wonder if I could find out what hotel the Patriots stay at and apply for a job there?

04-22-2010, 09:38 AM
I sort of fall in the middle here. I do not see myself as part of the lynchmob, armed with pitchforks, trying to run Ben out of town, but I also don't think you can sit there and say he did nothing wrong.

The way I see it is the Rooney family made a major investment in Ben, gave him $100 million+ contract, and made him the face of the franchise. If you are Ben, you do not repay them by acting like a drunk ass frat boy trying to flunk his way out of school. Say what you want about his accusers, they have some blame in this too (the whole furnishing alcohol thing is BS if you ask me), but no matter how you slice it, you can not excuse Ben for putting himself in the position he put himself in. Just absolutely no excuse. You are the face of one of, if not the most, prominant professional sports franchises in the entire world. YOU NEED TO ACT LIKE IT.
You do not go slumming in college bars.

The one thing that I've heard through this whole ordeal that continues to resonate with me, is the DA in Georgia telling Ben to grow up. He is 100% right. You're not in college anymore Ben, it is time you start acting like a MAN, and grow the hell up.

As much as I hate both Derek Jeter, and Tom Brady (both like Ben, multi-millionaire faces of thier respective franchises) you don't see them trolling college bars for college girls. It is beneath them. Ben should take a page from their books, and act like someone who is befitting of the investment the Rooney's made in him. It is now or never for Ben, either grow up now, or party yourself out of the league.

As for the 6 game suspension, it will not be 6 games. Either Ben will get his act together, and it will be a 4 game suspension, or he won't, and he will be suspended indefinately, thus surely ending his career with the Steelers.

SteelKid212
04-22-2010, 09:38 AM
What's sad is that I've got to wait from now until after the draft to determine if Ben is going to be traded or not?

It's even more sad that as a fan we stand behind our players when they are out winning Super Bowls but at a moments notice of trouble we are willing to throw them under a bus.

problem here is bens troubles arent at a moments notice.....

this is the SECOND time in two seasons hes been accused of the same thing.
and its not like he is getting accused for no big deal. Its freakin SEXUAL ASSULT,
its a big deal the first time around, but the second is too much.

i stood behind ben the first time around, we all make mistakes ya know, sh** happens.
but AGAIN!?? like he just doesnt care bout the consequences.... and that doesnt earn my respect.

so as much as I DO want him to stay, if he is traded or gone, i wouldnt be surprised, and i would totally understand.

its not ben first anymore, never was. its TEAM FIRST.

OVSteeler
04-22-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm dreadiing that we'll trade Ben and get stuck in QB limbo for years to come again. I think the guy is too good not to get a last chance to get himself together. On the field he's never been a question mark, if we can weather the first 4 games without him, we got a real chance of making some noise this year.

This post pretty much wraps up ALL my thoughts into one. Sure, I hate his off-field behavior. But I love what the guy's done for us on the field ! "QB limbo" is where we were for years before him and I don't ever want to go back there, and all THREE of his backups put together can't do what one BEN can do.
PLEASE, GROW UP, Ben ! We NEED you, but we can't put up with your bullshit any more !

Steel_Bus_24
04-22-2010, 09:39 AM
http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders/ci_14932481

FWIW.

who knows what the hell is going:screwy:

I just wish it wasn't:banging:

Curtain_of_Steel
04-22-2010, 09:40 AM
So the raiders inferred the 18 pick and BB to move up 10 spots? Did Santonio send Davis some of his stash?

delhess
04-22-2010, 09:41 AM
i don't understand why they would threaten a trade and not be serious. doesn't this just add to the problems in the team, support of ben as a steeler, etc? i don't know for sure what's going on, but it's gonna be a lot more clear in the next 24 hrs. maybe.

stlrtruck
04-22-2010, 09:43 AM
I am amazed by the number of people on this board that seem to have blind faith behind Ben. You have the right to your opinion of course, but if this was a Bengal (pick one), Raven (Ray Lewis), Cowboy (Newton, Irvin,etc..) or a player from some other team your opinions would be drastically different (obviously).

Bottom line is, AGAIN Ben has put another season in jeopardy because of his irresponsible actions (1st motorcycle accident no helmet and his questionable decisions with women).

The difference is that these guys were either guilty of a crime or made a plea to avoid jail time, etc. and Ben was accused.

Indo
04-22-2010, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by Indo
FINALLY!

The voice of reason!

In Art II's own words:

Ben WILL NOT be traded
write it down again

He has a lot of "proving" to do...
And he claims he wants to be a role model. LOL!

He does. No doubt about that

But I don't think the Rooneys would say that they are going to give him a chance and then get rid of him 2 weeks later

stlrtruck
04-22-2010, 09:47 AM
And of course not one of the NFL Owners will bring this type of mentality to the next meeting. They have given God-ell too much power and now the owners and the players union can do nothing - at least until the lockout and subsequent new league setup by the players and owners, eliminating the NFL.

I know far-fetched but it could have teeth if the owners and players union grew a pair!

Prok
04-22-2010, 09:49 AM

Count me in. And our franchise QB should be the one we already have.

Hint: 6'5 and 241 pounds (although many suspect he's heavier).

:tt:

SteelGhost
04-22-2010, 09:50 AM

+1 :drink:

Buzz05
04-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Draft Tebow and have God's Quarterback be a life coach for Ben.

stlrtruck
04-22-2010, 09:51 AM

Who would have thunk it? But then again, maybe them not buying in to the trade, is really just something that the Steelers benefit from in the future. Say SB #7

I know it's a helluva player to be STUCK with!

04-22-2010, 09:51 AM
First, who the hell is Corey Holliday? ( I remember Charles Johnson, Ernie Mills, Andre Hastings, Yancy Thigpen, and sometimes Kordell Stewart, but no Corey Holliday)

Second, I pray to God, the Steelers do not trade Ben. If they do seriously consider it, I do not even pick up the phone for less than two 1st's and a 2nd. I'll be crushed if they trade him for pennies on the dollar ( a 2nd, as some in the media have suggested).

But that said, not matter what, I will always root for the Steelers. If you say otherwise, then you truely are not a fan, and have no idea of what it truely means to be a fan. You live with your team through think and thin, not just when times are good. Otherwise you are just a bandwagon hopper.

BlastFurnace
04-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Good. I hope no-one offers anything of value.

He's a Steeler and I'll cheer for him as long as he is one.

cloppbeast
04-22-2010, 09:55 AM
This is just a further indication of how stupid Al Davis is.

SteelGhost
04-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Count me in. And our franchise QB should be the one we already have.

Hint: 6'5 and 241 pounds (although many suspect he's heavier).

:tt:

I'm with you Prok :thumbsup:

VTsteel
04-22-2010, 09:59 AM
Ben will NOT command three 1st rounders. Not in a million years. And the reason is he's not worth them. .

I respectfully disagree. Ben is the best thing to happen to the QB position for the Steelers since 1970. He is definitely worth it (IMO).

I would venture a guess that even if we got three 1st round choices and spent each on a QB . . . None of the three would measure up to Ben. Ben is a rare commodity and letting him go would be a HUGE mistake.

Prok
04-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Perfectly said. He's the best qb we've had in a quarter century. Lots of Steeler fans on this board never saw Bradshaw play- and some people on here are in support of trading Ben...I just don't understand it.

As far as we know, he did nothing wrong.....Don't all Steeler fans LIKE winning? Cause if we trade Ben, get used to losing. To steal someone else's line on here on a thread...One player doesn't make a team, but losing one can break it.

True dat. I know it's not nice to BA bash but IMO if we lose Ben BA goes from average idiot to MONUMENTAL idiot.

LOL

colescott1
04-22-2010, 10:07 AM
this is the SECOND time in two seasons hes been accused of the same thing.
and its not like he is getting accused for no big deal. Its freakin SEXUAL ASSULT,
its a big deal the first time around, but the second is too much.

I can only hope you're not ACCUSED of anything in your life that is not proven.

No charges. Not enough evidence. But surely, a multi million dollar QB can't be innocent, and the girls full of it. CERTAINLY, he's an animal, even if there is no evidence to prove it, right?

Question... how much money is bet on in the NFL? Would it be worth it to some big betting industry now, to, I don't know...pay off some chicks to yell "Assult" when none occured, if it changes the landscape of the NFL and either increases or decreases a teams chance of winning?

I find it humorous that GOD-ell, when staring the NE patriots in the face, with evidence of illegal taping..... they simply get a pittance of a fine and a draft pick.

Let somebody ACCUSE a player now, with no evidence, and its multi game suspensions.

Welcome to the new WWF.

zulater
04-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Ben is guilty of boorish, loutish behaviour, let's start suspending every NFL player from now on that can be proven guilty of the same.

GodfatherofSoul
04-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Let's start drug testing the front office and handing out suspensions to *them* as well! Wasn't Jerry Jones drunken tirade just as worthy of a fine? Oh no, punishment is only for The Help.

BlastFurnace
04-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Ron Cook - "Don't trade Ben"

Put emotions aside and stop Roethlisberger trade talk
Thursday, April 22, 2010

I wanted so badly to hear Steelers president Art Rooney II put an end to all of the troubling speculation Wednesday. "We are not looking to trade Ben Roethlisberger. He is our quarterback now and will be our quarterback in the future. We won two Super Bowls with him. We plan on winning more with him."

Instead, I got this from him:

"We can't answer questions about trades."

Please tell me the Steelers aren't looking to move Roethlisberger.

Let me clarify that point.

Unless the Steelers know something deep, dark and dirty about Roethlisberger that goes beyond his problems in Georgia or unless they are convinced he is incorrigible as a human being and will embarrass the organization again with his abhorrent behavior, they would be crazy to trade him.

The Steelers are in the business of winning games, just like any other professional sports team. Roethlisberger, as a franchise quarterback, gives them their best chance. You want to get rid of him?

That's easy to say in April. Get back to me in December when the Steelers are 4-10. Get back to me in December 2011, when they are 5-9. Get back to me after they have gone years and years searching for that next great quarterback who can win for them.

Spare me the argument that you would rather the Steelers lose than keep Roethlisberger. I won't tell you that you aren't entitled to your feelings. I'll just say that I believe you are in the minority. The majority of fans want to see their team win with good guys. If they can't have that, they'll settle for their team winning.

Rooney II has to get that.

He has to know that time, a few terrific performances by Roethlisberger next season and a lot of Steelers' victories will ease the public's perception of the quarterback and his team.

Don't underestimate the importance of time.

The wounds Roethlisberger has caused are still fresh and oozing. We just learned April 12 that he wasn't going to be charged in the Georgia sexual assault. We just learned Wednesday that he must serve a conditional six-game suspension handed down by the NFL.

It's an emotional time.

Certainly, it isn't the time for the Steelers to make a decision that could have an impact on their franchise for years.

I'm suggesting the situation might seem a little different in September.

A little less dire.

That isn't to condone Roethlisberger's actions in Georgia. Far from it. A 28-year-old man hanging out at a college bar at 2 a.m.? Buying shots of alcohol for underage patrons? Ending up in a dingy bathroom with an intoxicated 20-year-old girl?

If stupid, immature behavior were against the law, they could lock Roethlisberger up and throw away the key.

That's why his suspension -- presumably, it will be reduced to four games if he behaves himself -- is fair. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has every right to protect his league's brand. Roethlisberger badly tarnished it and must be punished.

But the Steelers trading him?

No.

That's not necessarily going to restore the organization's good name. It might be a little too late for that because of the beating that good name has taken the past few years. The organization that says it's "above and beyond" its NFL peers when it comes to player conduct -- coach Mike Tomlin's assessment last month -- put its franchise tag on kicker Jeff Reed after he had two off-the-field incidents in eight months. It gave linebacker James Harrison a six-year, $51,175,000 contract after he was involved in a domestic-abuse incident. It didn't trade wide receiver Santonio Holmes until after he had his fourth episode involving police intervention, made a series of offensive tweets on Twitter and was suspended for four games for violating the NFL's substance-abuse program.

Trading Roethlisberger isn't going to restore the Steelers' image.

They've proved they are no different than any other team that wants to win.

All trading Roethlisberger would do is weaken the Steelers from a competitive standpoint. Where is the good in that?

It's not as if Roethlisberger can't be rehabilitated. People love a comeback story, don't they? It's nice to think this suspension will force him to grow up in a hurry. If he can't see that he must change his ways when he looks in his mirror, he should be able to see it when he looks at the faces of his teammates.

How can he look any of those guys in the eye? When they play their first four regular-season games, he won't be there with them. He won't be there for them. They must try to get by with Byron Leftwich, Dennis Dixon or Charlie Batch at quarterback.

It's hard to imagine a worse feeling for any athlete than the feeling he has let his buddies down.

If that doesn't scare Roethlisberger straight, nothing will.

Here's hoping the Steelers give him one more chance to prove himself.

Here's hoping they don't trade him.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10112...#ixzz0louNudEQ

SteelGhost
04-22-2010, 10:17 AM
HELL NO ! :coffee:

WH
04-22-2010, 10:19 AM
Dude, I am being sarcastic... :sofunny:

Ohhhh, ok. sorry then. My Sarcast-o-meter is a little off with all the absurd things that have been said lately.

zulater
04-22-2010, 10:21 AM
McNulty is an attention seeking ***** who couldn't handle it when Ben had no interest in a continued relationship.

Why would anyone be surprised that they come out with this lame attempt to draw the spotlight towards themselves again?

SteelCityMom
04-22-2010, 10:25 AM

No he wasn't...but if you have ever read the details of the case he was involved in, it's a wonder why the Steelers ever signed someone that was dragged through a 2 month long police investigation concerning a gang rape. It wasn't say, a civil suit filed an entire year after the alleged incident and a story with more holes in it than a whiffle ball.

Reading the details of the case, it's a wonder why Batch and the other players involved were never dragged through the mud like BR has been. NFL is full of double standards, and the way I'm feeling right now, the Steelers are no exception.

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/sports/2001/12/21/2001-12-21_dedric__batch__2_others_accu.html

I know Batch is a very respected member of the community now, but I really doubt many people know anything about this. I wonder what they would say about him and the Rooney's signing him shortly after if they did.

Fire Haley
04-22-2010, 10:25 AM
I watched it - not much a lawyer wouldn't say to get his client a more lenient deal.

Goodell first wanted an indefinite suspension, then a 8-10 susoension, then 4-6 while lawyer wanted 2.

Even better, Herm Edwards was on later - all over the Rooney's ass - basically calling them bad parents for even thinking about trading Ben.."The team is a FAMILY , so if your son gets a DUI you don't send him off to adoption... you work with him to change his behavior .. "

On ESPN's First Take - the theme at the top of the show was ALL trading Ben. It ain't over yet.

SteelKid212
04-22-2010, 10:27 AM
I can only hope you're not ACCUSED of anything in your life that is not proven.

No charges. Not enough evidence. But surely, a multi million dollar QB can't be innocent, and the girls full of it. CERTAINLY, he's an animal, even if there is no evidence to prove it, right?

Question... how much money is bet on in the NFL? Would it be worth it to some big betting industry now, to, I don't know...pay off some chicks to yell "Assult" when none occured, if it changes the landscape of the NFL and either increases or decreases a teams chance of winning?

I find it humorous that GOD-ell, when staring the NE patriots in the face, with evidence of illegal taping..... they simply get a pittance of a fine and a draft pick.

Let somebody ACCUSE a player now, with no evidence, and its multi game suspensions.

Welcome to the new WWF.

you gotta understand there are standards and expectations that have to be met in the NFL. you wanna say the NFL is unfair? Godell is unfair? by all means go for it. i totally agree with you.

but the fact of the matter is... and my point is... YOU CANT GET YOURSELF IN ANY SITUATIONS THAT CAN GET YOU IN TROUBLE OFF THE FIELD IF YOURE AN NFL PLAYER!. i mean, if it happens once, sure we understand were all human, and no ones perfect, but dammit if you keep doin the same crap over and over, gets old quick, REAL QUICK ESPECIALLY in pittsburgh.

so what if ur accused and its not proven! if its an accusation on a normal person like you and i, yes... congratulations you're innocent!

but if its on a 100 million dollar QB who just happens to be the face of the most storied franchise in NFL history, where bad conduct isnt tolerated, well, thats another story....

behaving off the field is part of the deal if youre a pittsburgh steeler, if you create off field distractions, you can hurt your team. maybe not directly, but still.

so get the point! and if you dont want to accept the fact that you HAVE TO handle yourself responsibly off the field, GUILTY OR NOT, you shouldnt be a Steeler.

zulater
04-22-2010, 10:28 AM
You want the Rooney's to change? Change the People of Pittsburgh's attitude. I was up in the Burgh for 5 days last week, and the local radio was Killing Ben, out of 10 callers, 8 trashed the guy, mothers with kids saying they wouldn't let the kids wear his Jersey...blah blah blah...you want the Rooneys to change their perception, start calling in the same shows with Pro Ben statements. It has to be done, once the locals stop throwing the guy out with the bath water, then the Rooneys will pull back as well.

Right now, they are attempting to reflect what they believe are the feelings of the Local Steelers Fans. I heard it for 5 days, non-stop. it was pretty ridiculous. Nothing but trashing the guy. call up the same shows and bring up the DTF Tag, bring up the Twitter and Facebook accounts being torn down off the internet because they likely showed a pattern of behavior from this group of chicks. Bring up that Ben was with TWO cops, wasn't doing anything wrong legally, just made a bad judgement call and sure, he was probably a little buzzed, but it was also reported the girls followed him from bar to bar and she even pinched him to get his attention.

Good post.

SteelMember
04-22-2010, 10:34 AM
no.

but the court of public opinion sure doesn't make it look good.

plenewken
04-22-2010, 10:40 AM
I respectfully disagree. Ben is the best thing to happen to the QB position for the Steelers since 1970. He is definitely worth it (IMO).

I would venture a guess that even if we got three 1st round choices and spent each on a QB . . . None of the three would measure up to Ben. Ben is a rare commodity and letting him go would be a HUGE mistake.

The value YOU, as a fan, place in Ben is not the value other teams would place in him. Being the best thing that happened to the Steelers doesn't mean squat for another team.
Can he make an impact somewhere else? Sure.
How much of an impact? Nobody can tell.
Is he worth 3 first round picks? No. It's a lot of money considering the price of a 1st round pick and the fact that lots of things can happen in 3 seasons.

This being said, I agree with you that it could be a huge mistake to let him go, especially for only 1 first round. I base my reasoning on the proverbial "one bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush" and nothing else.
Keep in mind that when we picked Ben, nobody was certain that he would turn out to be the huge impact player he became. If I'm not mistaken, there were more pro-Rivers than pro-Ben within the Steelers' organization. Shows you that the draft is far from being a science.
Brady was a 6th rounder, you know, and like it or not, Brady is widely considered a better QB than Ben, and it's also my opinion.

zulater
04-22-2010, 10:40 AM
I watched it - not much a lawyer wouldn't say to get his client a more lenient deal.

Goodell first wanted an indefinite suspension, then a 8-10 susoension, then 4-6 while lawyer wanted 2.

Even better, Herm Edwards was on later - all over the Rooney's ass - basically calling them bad parents for even thinking about trading Ben.."The team is a FAMILY , so if your son gets a DUI you don't send him off to adoption... you work with him to change his behavior .. "

On ESPN's First Take - the theme at the top of the show was ALL trading Ben. It ain't over yet.

The Steelers need to find a happy middle ground somewhere between the enablers they've been towards Ben since Cowher walked out the door and the current we don't know you approach they seem to have adopted for the moment.

At some point they need to let the public know that Ben is being punished for poor decision making not rape. And that they have examined the full GBI report carefully and have concluded to their satisfaction that charges weren't warranted. I think this sort of statement coming from the Steelers would go a long way towards people giving Ben a second chance.

Right now I think 75% of the population think that Ben got away with rape. That's a sad shame because the evidence, and I mean all of it, not just selected inflammatory pieces, virtually prove Ben innocent of criminal conduct.

Like I said before Bright would have filed charges if he believed Ben guilty even if he didn't neccessarily have a winning hand. The vast majority of such cases( disputable evidence) are plead down to a lesser charge because neither side wants to gamble their case on a jury verdict. I repeat there were no charges because there was no good evidence that a criminal offense occured.

SteelCityMom
04-22-2010, 10:41 AM
He wanted an indefinite suspension? For an accusation. You have to be effing kidding me. That's beyond ridiculous.

There's a lot of players out there who better start getting real nervous about even looking at a girl the wrong way.

caseydog
I became a Steelers fan almost forty years ago, as a young boy. My early years as a Steelers fan were the Bradshaw years, the Steel Curtain years, the Franco Harris and Lynn Swann and four Superbowl years.

I remained a fan through all those years without a Super Bowl win. I was a loyal fan when the Steelers finished in last place with a 5-11 season. I was a fan when they lost a Superbowl they could have won, if not for four intercepted passes.

Art Rooney is one of the reasons I am such a diehard Steelers fan. He built more than just an NFL franchise, he built an institution. There are pro football players, and then there are Steelers. Excellence is not a goal, it is a requirement when you are a Steeler. That's the reason the Steelers have six Lombardy trophies, seven Conference Championships, and have hosted ten conference championship games -- those are all NFL records.

And they did most of that without Ben.

So, yes, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Vincent
The drunk bimbo who accused Ben was wearing a name badge that said DTF on it.

I'll bet her Mom was upset about that. She probably got grounded.

drucifer
OP is a troll...HELLO?!?

With all these replies to his post, he has a big steamy cup full of win. Yay us!

EDIT:

Of course he shouldn't be traded, don't be ridiculous.

Steelers17
04-22-2010, 10:45 AM
McNulty is an attention seeking ***** who couldn't handle it when Ben had no interest in a continued relationship.

Why would anyone be surprised that they come out with this lame attempt to draw the spotlight towards themselves again?

The price of gas to settle the McNaulty litigation has geometrically increased post the recent developments. We are all entitled to personal opinions but in the end the more objective one’s proclamations, the closer to the ultimate reality of resolution they will become. :tt03:

7SteelGal43
No.

And here's something I'm curious about. It would seem that more people on this board DO NOT want Ben traded then DO want Ben traded. So where is this "60% want him traded" coming from ?

steelerchad
I was wondering if anyone thinks that Colts player who was accused of sexual assault has embarrassed the league and his team. I guess he probably did, but since he's not a star player the media could care less. So much so, I can't even remember the guys name right now. He's just flying under the radar for the same offense. The media has blown this up to a fireball and I actually feel sorry for all involved at this point. I do know things can get twisted and accounts can get recollected differently by different people, especially when alot of alcohol is involved.

I'm at the point that I just want it to be over, for us to keep our franchise QB, and hope he becomes a better person for all of this mess. I understand both sides, it's a difficult situation. I don't think you throw away a guy for this.

BlastFurnace

Nice post Dino. Ben has problems and deserves to be punished, but this girl with her DTF shirt, Bar Hopping Twice the Legal Limit of Alcohol in her system..has her morals in the toilet as well.

zulater
04-22-2010, 10:46 AM
No, I don't hope he's traded. I hope he keeps his nose clean, donates his first 2 playing checks to a local charity in Pittsburgh, like a Childrens Shelter (can never go wrong when donating to kids) and keeps his chin up and lives up to the expectations of being a QB in the spot light.

As far as I'm concerned, what we have is Bad Decision Making. One Crazy "I want Ben's baby" Girl, and one drunken Sorrority "Down To Fck" Girl who's friends freaked out.

That's it.

Damn you have a succinct way of putting things dino. :thumbsup:

BlastFurnace
04-22-2010, 10:46 AM
I'll bet her Mom was upset about that. She probably got grounded.

If that was my daughter and found out she's walking around with a DTF button or shirt on, she would be more than grounded.

vasteeler
04-22-2010, 10:47 AM
The value YOU, as a fan, place in Ben is not the value other teams would place in him. Being the best thing that happened to the Steelers doesn't mean squat for another team.
Can he make an impact somewhere else? Sure.
How much of an impact? Nobody can tell.
Is he worth 3 first round picks? No. It's a lot of money considering the price of a 1st round pick and the fact that lots of things can happen in 3 seasons.

This being said, I agree with you that it could be a huge mistake to let him go, especially for only 1 first round. I base my reasoning on the proverbial "one bird in the hand is better than 2 in the bush" and nothing else.
Keep in mind that when we picked Ben, nobody was certain that he would turn out to be the huge impact player he became. If I'm not mistaken, there were more pro-Rivers than pro-Ben within the Steelers' organization. Shows you that the draft is far from being a science.
Brady was a 6th rounder, you know, and like it or not, Brady is widely considered a better QB than Ben, and it's also my opinion.

while brady may be a better qb ben is a better football player. ill take the better football player every time

7SteelGal43
04-22-2010, 10:49 AM

That's it.

Dino, after that little gem, you oughta change your name to BINGO !!!! :chuckle:

VTsteel
04-22-2010, 10:51 AM
NO!

BlastFurnace
04-22-2010, 10:53 AM
No.

And here's something I'm curious about. It would seem that more people on this board DO NOT want Ben traded then DO want Ben traded. So where is this "60% want him traded" coming from ?

I wouldn't be surprised if people are voting who aren't even football fans. From everything I have heard and read, no way is it 60% that want him gone.

Some people in the big media outlets....such as ESPN....are feeding this monster like crazy.

Sharkissle29
04-22-2010, 10:53 AM
ABSOLUTELY NOT