PDA

View Full Version : The Ben Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

fansince'76
04-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Yeah, I wanna hear Jim Brown's opinion on it. After all, he set such a great example of how to treat women in his day. :rofl:

Preacher
04-17-2010, 11:49 PM
I just skipped down to read Brown's statements.

Wow. Good for him. And I gotta say, it is impressive. Reminds me a lot of Bill Cosby, to be honest.

mesaSteeler
04-17-2010, 11:50 PM

Wow. Good for him. And I gotta say, it is impressive. Reminds me a lot of Bill Cosby, to be honest.

I was thinking the same thing.

MACH1
04-18-2010, 12:10 AM
I think we should get gerholdo's opinion on the matter. :chuckle:

fansince'76
04-18-2010, 12:11 AM
I think we should get gerholdo's opinion on the matter.

Has Oprah weighed in on this yet? it has no significance to pop culture as a whole until Oprah weighs in on it! :popcorn:

MACH1
04-18-2010, 12:15 AM
Just what we needed, another get rid of ben thread. :doh:

count down to the next one...3....2...1....

mesaSteeler
04-18-2010, 12:19 AM
What the decision comes down to is will Ben change or not?

If the Rooney's keep him and he pulls this crap again then he's gone and we would get nothing for him. In this scenario it makes sense to trade him now.

If the Rooney's keep him and he gets his act together then he might win another Super Bowl. In this scenario it makes sense to keep him.

It's a difficult decision.

If I were the Rooney's I'd hire an army of private investigators and go over every detail of the incidents. Then I'd get a few good police psychologists to analyze everything and Ben's reactions.

Then I'd simply ask them how likely is Ben to do something stupid again like this again?

No matter what decision the Rooney's make they will get blasted. If they keep him they will have to deal with charges of racism from tools like Barkley. If they let him go then some Steelers fans will blast them for it.

Another question that has been much discussed is what happens if they keep him and he plays badly due to all the pressure he is under. Is he worth keeping under those circumstances?

No matter what how the Rooney's decide I will be behind them and I will still be a Steelers fan even if the decision the Rooney's make does not turn out well.

MACH1
04-18-2010, 12:22 AM
I disagree...They usually take a statement from all parties that were at the scene and then they consider it during the investigation... This guys statement had to have some effect. As we all know, a cops opinion goes a long way in a case...

Problem is, are they going with they going with the 1st, 2nd or 3rd report from the "drunk bitch" :noidea:

mesaSteeler
04-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Rooney's call on Big Ben is too tough to call
Rooney has a difficult decision regarding Roethlisberger, but the best thing for a proud franchise might be to cut ties
Sunday, April 18, 2010
By Gene Collier, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10108/1051355-150.stm

As the CEO of an iconic family-run business, a business that happens to be the most successful single entity in the most successful league enterprise in the history of American sport, Art Rooney II has at his disposal a nuclear arsenal of brainpower.

He's got lawyers, accountants, communications experts, public relations wizards, marketing masters, spin doctors, head doctors, physicians, surgeons, internists, outurnists and a genealogy that represents little less than an intellectual Fort Knox of accumulated knowledge on the topic of how to run a professional football franchise.

But what he doesn't have, and what he really needs, is one of those little 5x7 index cards with "If This ..." on one side and "Then That ..." on the other. The kind coaches refer to when they can't remember whether it's better to go for one point or two at specific points relative the scoreboard's illuminated arithmetic.

No, Art II can't sit down at his desk overlooking an expanse of practice fields near the end of South Water Street and run his finger over a chart until he comes to "Super Bowl MVP wideout, alleged to have thrown a full glass at a female at 2:30 a.m., tweets that the fans don't cut his check and might want to consider offing themselves while he plans idly to 'wake and bake' despite previous drug violation," and then match it with the corresponding part of the chart, "trade him to the Jets for a fifth-round pick."

Decisions like what to do with a bonehead like Holmes, much less what to do with an evident serial misogynist All-Pro quarterback like Big Bad Ben Roethlisberger, are viciously complicated and aren't made a lick easier even by any of the expertise available to a third generation of Rooney stewardship.

The Steelers, in fact, could be led deftly into their NFL future by fourth and fifth generations of Rooneys without encountering a decision as difficult as the one Roethlisberger presents.

If they separate themselves from No. 7, they risk competitive irrelevance for an indeterminate period, during which some portion of their fan base might be irretrievably alienated. If they don't, they risk a turbulent future during which the face of the organization is better known for another exposed body part, all amid a climate where the franchise with the greatest percentage of female fans is likely to take a thunderous public relations hit. That portion of the season-ticket base with college-age daughters is already at risk.

You want to make that call?

Plenty of people do, and, as usual in the post-modern Era of the Loud, the middle ground has been abandoned. The afflicted either want nothing to do with the Steelers so long as 7 is whipping passes, or they accuse anyone who is the least bit uncomfortable with a 28-year-old quarterback who would follow a vulnerable, saloon-faced college girl into a bathroom of being psychotic to the point of failing to grasp the urgency of Any Given Sunday.

Before Holmes was traded, someone called the Subway Nightly Sports Call to complain that I'd used the term "baggage" in relation to the aforementioned bonehead.

"What baggage?" our guest wondered.

"Well, he was arrested twice before he even got the uniform on," I said.

"Hey," he said. "Your memory must be short-lived. These guys won us the Super Bowl. What does baggage have to do with anything?"

Sorry. The right question is, "What does the Super Bowl, or anyone's contribution to it, have to do with anything?" (Good statement, I completely agree. - mesa)

Not to quibble, but what have six Lombardi Trophies done for Pittsburgh? Have they saved a single manufacturing job? Have they arrested infant mortality? Have they erased the city's budget deficit? The goal is a productive, forward thinking, civil society around here, not the seasonal consolation prize of embarrassing the Cleveland Browns, when possible.

What the Steelers have done for much of the past 40 years is afforded their fans in the city and worldwide some sense of pride, nothing more and certainly nothing less, but pride is a little more complicated and a little more delicate than what can be described by the club's situation within the relatively silly politics of the AFC North.

Somebody's going to be very, um, unprideful, the next time the quarterback is implicated in this kind of creepy mess. He already has had to stand next to Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert and swear he wouldn't put himself in this position again, and within eight months, put himself in this position again.

Any guesses on how many times he did it without getting caught?

I wouldn't want to be in Art II's position, and, regardless of what he decides, he'll do it with more information and better instincts than I. But some NFL team is going to be judged as the enabler of the next boozy assault on a defenseless female, and a lot of people in this town would prefer it's not the Steelers.

The Steelers can and should get out from under this guy. They can keep Ben and assist in his attempted rehabilitation, but that's a bathroom I wouldn't walk into.

Gene Collier: gcollier@post-gazette.com. More articles by this author

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10108/1051355-150.stm#ixzz0lQWDjf8d

JSH6487
04-18-2010, 12:43 AM
The team needs to stand by Ben in this situation just like the Lakers did with Kobe...and Kobe was actually CHARGED. Ben has only been ACCUSED, and both accusations look very shaky. The only thing Ben can be without a doubt found guilty of is being dumb and being a pervert...neither should be enough to get rid of a Top 5 NFL QB and 2 time SB winner.

Stuff like this coming from OUR media makes me absolutely sick.

MACH1
04-18-2010, 12:46 AM
And yet another get ride of Ben thread.

Steeldude
04-18-2010, 12:58 AM
Yeah, I wanna hear Jim Brown's opinion on it. After all, he set such a great example of how to treat women in his day. :rofl:

exactly.

i wonder if barkley has anything to say about harrison's altercation with a woman. correct me if i am wrong, but isn't harrison black? oh those double-standards again :thumbsup:

Steeldude
04-18-2010, 01:03 AM
...Trade him to the Browns.

Why not? They need a quarterback. He's from Ohio. He'd be close enough that his detractors would still be able to keep a close on his every move.

And when Ben annihilates us twice a year, and Dennis Dixon has led us to a 6-10 record, we can all cheer Dennis' model behavior...

so you are saying it's impossible for the steelers to beat the browns because they would have BR? sounds like you are a fan of a single player, not the team as a whole.

Silverback92
04-18-2010, 01:12 AM
You lost me at "Jimmy Clausen".

Sam Bradford? Okay, now I'm listening.

casteeler
04-18-2010, 01:29 AM
how about ben pulls his head out of his a** and does his job... win#7

Gnutella
04-18-2010, 01:33 AM
If Ben Roethlisberger doesn't go, then some fans need to go.

PhantomJB93
04-18-2010, 01:36 AM
Ya, Im really kind of on the fence as well. Before all this he was my favorite player and I still believe he's top 5 in on-field QB performance. At the same time, we could deal without his arrogant off-field bs. I REALLY dont want to trade him, and I understand how hard it is to find a really good franchise QB, but if there's one QB in the past few years who looks to be a sure-fire quality franchise QB and who is worth taking this risk its Bradford, and if a fair deal comes along I say pull the trigger. I trust whatever the Rooney's do but Im sure they won't give him up for anything less than Bradford (Im saying this because Ive heard they're very high on Bradford already), but I would want more for Ben than just the #1 overall pick... my ideal *semi-realistic* trade would be Ben to the Rams for their #1 this year, #2 this year (first pick of the second round), and #1 next year. That would get us Bradford, Wilson/Thomas/OL at pick #18, and maybe Golden Tate at #33, PLUS two first rounders next year to address any blatant holes that open up in the 2010 season. Id be satisfied with that, and even if Bradford busted and Ben kept his level of play Id obviously be mad but wouldnt say they made the wrong decision in that situation.

steeldawg
04-18-2010, 02:11 AM
I think the Steelers should trade Ben for a draft pick. I'd like to see him traded for Jimmy Clausen. Ben is talented but I'm sure Clausen would have enough sense to avoid crazy *****s. To all you Roethlisberger apoligists, you have no shame!

You should apologize to steeler nation for suggesting we trade him for a draft pick and then use that draft pick to take jimmy claussen. :coffee:

TheRuneMeister
04-18-2010, 02:56 AM
I think the Steelers should trade Ben for a draft pick. I'd like to see him traded for Jimmy Clausen. Ben is talented but I'm sure Clausen would have enough sense to avoid crazy *****s. To all you Roethlisberger apoligists, you have no shame!
Jimmy friggin Clausen? This guy is the most overrated QB in the draft. Just because he played in a 'pro style' offense and is somewhat accurate, everyone is drooling over him. I'd take McCoy (or even the religious nut Tebow) over Clausen any day.(Bradford trade won't happen) At least there is some fight in them. Some leadership.

As for Ben...as an 'international' Steelers fan I only get the news and information I actively seek, so I haven't exactly been bombarded with news about Ben. Still, I am getting sick and tired of hearing about his escapades. I honestly think that a trade should be considered. I saw one interview that said it all. A mother was talking about how she could never let her daughter wear a #7 shirt again. That seems true to me. How can you in good conscience buy your children a Roethlisberger jersey after all this? Parents will have to explain to their children that they shouldn't look up to the franchise quarterback of their favorite football team because he is only one of the good guys when he is on the field.

I have loved watching Ben over the years, and he has provided some amazing memorable moments for Steelers fans, but I'd rather be proud to call myself a Steeler fan and loose a couple of extra games in the next few years, than be ashamed to be a Steelers fan and win them. Get a guy in there that truely appreciates what he has got. Being the starting quarterback for a sports team that is loved by fans world wide should not be taken as lightly as been has chosen to take it.

(btw. everyone is talking about how it would be ok as long as he changes...shouldn't he already have made the choice to change after the Nevada incident came to light? I would think so)

steve314
04-18-2010, 03:31 AM
Im kind of on the fence....

Keeping Ben=best for the team

Trading Ben=best for the organization

I mean you can win with a mediocre QB, Good O-Line, and Great defense.....Look at the Jets last season.

Unfortunately the Steelers don't have a great defense (as of last year). I hope they can upgrade the secondary, but no guarantees there.

ricardisimo
04-18-2010, 04:20 AM
I've been troubled by the very common suggestion that once guys strike it rich in the NFL or anywhere else, it is suddenly open season on them, and they are all getting targeted by these gold diggers.

It just doesn't happen. Most of the big names get through their careers unscathed, criminally speaking, as well as in terms of bad publicity. There are a few repeat offenders in this league (Pacman, Chris Henry et al.) that taint everyone around them, and Ben now appears to be one of them.

Also, why does this idea pop up only with regards to rape allegations? Why not Vick's dog ring? Was he targeted because he was rich? Or was he rather a true dipstick who deserved to go to jail? What about James Harrison's and Cedric Wilson's domestic battery charges? Were their partners trying to set them up? Or did they in fact commit heinous felonies and deserve punishment? It was the latter in all cases, and clearly so.

People need to ask themselves why they are so eager to jump to Ben's defense. Something else is going on, it seems to me.

P.S. - Why is Bradford "skinny"? He weighs the same as Tebow, and he's only an inch taller.

WH
04-18-2010, 06:21 AM
When something isn't turned into a race issue, then post it. Something becoming a race issues isn't news, it's standard.

BlastFurnace
04-18-2010, 06:36 AM
I thought Barkley's and Brown's words were right on target.

WeegiesWarriors
04-18-2010, 06:50 AM
All I can wonder is how many of the girls in JSH6487's signature (the "Drink Like a Champ" pic) did he rape, or force to have sex with that night. Did he unzip his pants that night and pull out his **** and chase one of them into a bathroom and lock the door behind him? That is his enduring legacy.

Galax Steeler
04-18-2010, 07:02 AM
Just what we needed, another get rid of ben thread. :doh:

count down to the next one...3....2...1....

Agreed this same stuff is getting old.

Edman
04-18-2010, 07:08 AM
I'm a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. Not a Ben Roethlisberger fan.

If he goes, tough shit. Let him become someone else's headache.

If he stays, too bad. He's still our headache.

XxKnightxX
04-18-2010, 07:08 AM
Yawn. Douchebag Fan of (inset team name); Your QB is a rapist

Me; so what we just blew the living hell out of your team
Douchebag: But your QB is a rapist,
Me; You still lost, your team sucks, you wish youu had our QB

Stone
04-18-2010, 07:38 AM
This is from the PPG this morning -- an article that actually gives an even-handed description of the investigation:

Documents from high-profile case against Steeler reveal questionable decisions, missteps, contradictions

Sunday, April 18, 2010

By Jonathan D. Silver, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
In the wee hours of March 5, as bars in Milledgeville, Ga. emptied for the night, three women approached a police officer parked downtown and said "something" had happened to their friend inside a nightclub -- something involving a "big time football player."
That understated conversation spawned a high-profile investigation of rape allegations against Ben Roethlisberger, one that was in the public eye for a month yet its inner workings were mostly hidden from public scrutiny until now.

New details gleaned from the case file reveal that the inquiry was, if nothing else, bumpy, contradictory and marked by dead ends -- no slam-dunk evidence, no DNA profile to compare with genetic material from the Steelers quarterback, and no coveted second interview with Mr. Roethlisberger after his initial statement to police in the incident's immediate aftermath.

Documents made available when the case was closed show some officers made questionable decisions in the investigation's early stages, such as not sequestering witnesses or securing the scene of the alleged crime -- a small, staff bathroom in the back of the Capital City nightclub.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation had occasional trouble contacting both the accuser and her lawyer, who did not return numerous calls from the agency.

And the alleged victim's family distrusted the Milledgeville Police Department so much that they warned the bureau's lead agent not to bring them to the woman's house when the agent went to swab her mouth for evidence samples.

An unsecured scene

About eight hours after the 20-year-old student at Georgia College and State University accused Mr. Roethlisberger of raping her in the restroom, a janitor scrubbed the sink, floor and toilet with Clorox and Pine-Sol.

To the chagrin of investigators, no one had told him not to. The only evidence collected from the bathroom did not yield useful results.

"In this type of case, usually your highest and best evidence is found on your victim. However, in an effort to be as thorough as possible, you always process the scene as well," said Tom Davis, special agent in charge of GBI's Milledgeville field office.

Attorney Alexander Lindsay, a former federal and state prosecutor in Western Pennsylvania, said GBI "worked the hell out of this case but it was muffed at the beginning" by Milledgeville police. Mr. Lindsay, who teaches law at the University of Pittsburgh, reviewed the case file, most of which was posted online by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

It is possible that DNA or other evidence of sexual contact could have been obtained from the bathroom.

"The bathroom was unsecured and washed with Pine-Sol. At that point, it was a factor in not only not having evidence, but a defense attorney was going to say the police botched the investigation," Mr. Lindsay said.

It was not until four hours after the bathroom was cleaned that the Milledgeville Police Department called in Agent Davis's investigators.

"Some agencies do wait to call, however we prefer to be called when the police respond and assess what they have," Agent Davis said. "The sooner the better for maximizing the potential for a successful investigation."

Milledgeville police Chief Woodrow W. Blue said a 12-hour wait was about normal before calling in state investigators. He said his department handles between three and six rapes a year, and Chief Blue said it was of no consequence that the bathroom had not been sealed off.

An officer's conduct

The woman's friends said she was shook up upon leaving Capital City.

According to one, Nicole Biancofiore, the alleged victim "did not want to report the incident to a random police officer," the case file shows.

Ms. Biancofiore called a friend, Baldwin County Sheriff's Deputy Shawn Tapley, to ask for advice. He told her to report to an officer downtown.

"Biancofiore also stated that [the woman] did not want to report it because she did not want people to know about the incident and was embarrassed by what had happened."

So the women approached Sgt. Willie Goddard. He, in turn, passed things along to the shift supervisor, Jerry Blash.

It was a fateful step.

Mr. Blash, who had been a police sergeant, resigned last week amid a furor over his conduct during the investigation.

It was Mr. Blash who had escorted Mr. Roethlisberger and his bar-hopping group of friends to Capital City. It was Mr. Blash who posed for a photograph with the quarterback early in the evening. And it was Mr. Blash who investigators say admitted in interviews that while in Capital City he said something like, "This bitch is drunk off her ass accusing Ben of assaulting her."

When he was first approached by the women, Mr. Blash told investigators, the alleged victim was "swaying and smelling of alcohol" and "talked 'all over the place.' " He also said she seemed "nonchalant."

"Blash stated that he asked [the woman] if Roethlisberger had raped her and she stated, 'No, I did not know what was going on,' because she was intoxicated so much. [The woman] told Blash that Roethlisberger did not force her but kept asking her."

Ten days later during a second interview, he told investigators that the woman said "Well, I'm not sure" when he asked if she and Mr. Roethlisberger had sex.

Those interviews are the only places where Mr. Blash's description of that conversation -- and the woman's denial of being raped -- is memorialized, according to Agent Davis.

"He did not put that in his original report, only in his interview. His original report was very brief," Agent Davis said.

All other accounts -- the accuser's two written statements and her friends' interviews with investigators -- consistently state that the woman claimed Mr. Roethlisberger forced sex on her.

Mr. Roethlisberger, through his attorneys, denies any illegal conduct.

At one point, the woman and Mr. Blash argued on the street with voices raised about whether he would take a report, according to her friends. She felt she was being told not to file one; Mr. Blash countered that he was not trying to dissuade her.

"Blash indicated that he did tell the victim that what she was saying to Blash was not making sense and told the victim that Roethlisberger's attorneys or any attorney would 'tear your story up' and 'you got to be more clear with me and fill in these blanks.' "

In his interview, Mr. Blash acknowledged his vexation.

"Blash was frustrated because the victim could barely stand, and that pissed Blash off," wrote GBI Special Agent Ryan Carmichael.

"The victim's friends got on Blash's nerves because he kept asking them were they back there with her, and they said no. The victim's friends were trying to tell what was going on more than the victim was, and the victim could not answer Blash's questions."

'A big problem'

Mr. Blash sent the woman to the city police department. He met with fellow officers, including Jason Lopez.

Officer Lopez recalled that as the bars were emptying, Mr. Blash asked him to get Capital City's manager to call.

About 10 minutes later, Officer Lopez said, Mr. Blash came up to him and said, "We've got a big problem. We've got a big problem. We've got a big problem."

Police headed into the nightclub. When they arrived, people in the Steeler's entourage were on the phone with lawyers, one officer reported. Most refused to give their names to police.

Mr. Roethlisberger was there along with several friends: off-duty Coraopolis police Officer Anthony J. Barravecchio, off-duty Pennsylvania State Trooper Edward J. Joyner, and Nima Zarrabi, marketing director for the California firm of the quarterback's agent, Ryan Tollner.

"Not this ... again," Officer Barravecchio said upon learning of the allegation, according to the GBI report.

"When Blash was talking with them, one of them said that he gets sick of this kind of 'BS,' and Blash said that he knows how it is and these kind of people deal with this type of thing all the time, but they still have to follow procedures."

Mr. Zarrabi told investigators that he saw Mr. Blash approach Trooper Joyner and tell him: "I know, I know, it's [BS]. I don't believe a word this girl was saying. She could barely stand up straight as she's telling me this, but she's making a serious claim we have to look into."

As Mr. Blash spoke with his colleagues and the off-duty Pennsylvania officers, he used profanity in connection with the accuser and discussed her being drunk, according to investigative reports.

They also chatted about things unrelated to the case, including Officer Barravecchio's watch.

Officer Richard Davidson described the conversation as casual and "light-hearted."

The woman's friends alleged that the two Pennsylvania police officers were involved in putting the woman and Mr. Roethlisberger together in a hallway leading to the bathroom and then preventing them from reaching her.

In their interviews, the men denied the accusations.

Trooper Joyner, who sought and obtained permission from his bosses in April 2005 for permission to work for Mr. Roethlisberger as a driver and assistant, has declined to comment on the case.

Pennsylvania State Police officials are examining the case file and reviewing Trooper Joyner's conduct.

"Upon completion of that review, appropriate action that is warranted will be taken," said Lt. Myra A. Taylor, a state police spokeswoman. She declined additional comment.

Officer Barravecchio's lawyer, Michael Santicola, said his client did nothing wrong and was sober throughout the evening.

"Walking into a bar is not a crime, and none of these guys committed any acts that were a crime," Mr. Santicola said. "The only crime that I've seen committed right now is the crime of this girl. She's underage, she's bombed out of her mind and she's in a bar she shouldn't be in."

Mr. Blash spoke briefly with Mr. Roethlisberger, outlined the allegations against him, and said the quarterback stated he told the woman to leave because she was too drunk.

Mr. Roethlisberger also told Mr. Blash she fell and hit her head. A medical examination did not substantiate that, the district attorney said last week.

According to Mr. Zarrabi, the quarterback told Mr. Blash that the girl's accusation was not true. Mr. Zarrabi told him to not say anything further. He called the firm's lawyer and handed the phone to Mr. Roethlisberger.

When Mr. Blash asked the quarterback for his address, Mr. Zarrabi intervened and handed the sergeant his business card.

One officer who was on the scene, Michael Clay, said Mr. Roethlisberger stated "that he would not give the girl the time of day and that he had ignored her. Clay stated that Roethlisberger appeared to feel or imply that the girl would only say what she alleged because he had ignored her friend and her friend had instigated her report."

While Mr. Blash was in Capital City, Officer Lopez interviewed the woman in a squad room at the station. He said she spoke with candor, but her speech was slurred and her eyes were red.

She told him something that officers found perplexing: the woman claimed that she and the 6-foot-5 Mr. Roethlisberger had sex while she was sitting on the toilet.

Part Two is below

Stone
04-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Part II

An interview sought

By the end of March 5, investigators had spoken with the alleged victim, her friends, a bouncer, the janitor, the club manager and several Milledgeville officers.

Rape kit tests were performed on the alleged victim, and swabs of evidence along with her underwear were sent to a lab for analysis.

On March 8, investigators and Mr. Roethlisberger's Atlanta attorney Edward T. M. Garland talked on a speakerphone. They tried to work out a trade.

GBI's Agent Davis asked Mr. Garland if he would make the quarterback and his friends who accompanied him in Milledgeville available for an interview.

Mr. Garland said he would with regard to the friends. As for Mr. Roethlisberger, he was "unsure."

Would the investigators provide details about the allegations against his client?

Agent Davis "advised Garland that if he would produce Roethlisberger for an interview, and that if District Attorney Fred Bright was present and in agreement, that SAC Davis would provide the basic details of the allegations against Roethlisberger."

Later in the day, Agent Davis told Mr. Garland that the DA agreed to the swap.

"Down here, lawyers very rarely let us talk with their clients but I was giving it my best shot," Agent Davis explained.

The next day, the records show, Mr. Bright told a gathering of top prosecutors and investigators that he had already given Mr. Garland the information he was seeking.

The interview with the quarterback was never granted.

"Bright only had one conversation with Garland that I am aware of through the course of the investigation and that was the one you mentioned. He basically gave him what the allegations were and that's all," Agent Davis said.

Mr. Garland gave investigators something else, though. He put them on notice that he knew of Mr. Blash's derogatory words about the accuser and that the sergeant had "stated that he did not believe her story."

Mr. Bright was "very concerned," Agent Davis reported, and asked that Mr. Blash be interviewed.

A leery accuser

Investigators were having other issues. The accuser could not be reached. Special Agent Monica Ling, the lead investigator, tried to reach her "numerous times" over the weekend of the alleged assault without success.

Lee Parks, the woman's lawyer, finally called on the evening of March 7. Agent Ling said she wanted to take swabs from inside the woman's cheeks.

Mr. Parks said his client and her family were leery. They thought Milledgeville police had leaked information about the woman to the media.

Within two hours of making a report, the woman told Agent Ling, the media was calling her cell phone

Mr. Parks added that the woman and her family were also upset that one of the Milledgeville detectives gave his private e-mail address to the family for sending pictures from the night of the incident. It was not clear why that bothered the family.

After obtaining evidence from the woman, the next step was to interview her. Agent Ling reported having trouble reaching Mr. Parks the next week. When they connected, the attorney told the agent that his client was in therapy and could not help.

"Parks stated he had spoken with [the woman's] therapist and they had decided at this point [she] would be reliving the incident again if she was interviewed now."

Agent Ling wrote that Mr. Parks told her it would be important to speak with his client before talking to Mr. Roethlisberger because she would "know the kind of language Roethlisberger used and exactly what happened."

A 'minute' sample

Several hours before Mr. Bright sat down March 9 with investigators, Agent Ling learned from the crime lab that only a "minute" amount of male DNA had been identified from the rape kit tests.

By March 11, Mr. Garland told investigators that his client's entourage would be available for interviews in the next few days. He was willing to make Mr. Roethlisberger available over the weekend to give a DNA sample.

Agent Ling obtained a search warrant the next day for the quarterback's DNA. The warrant was never executed, and authorities eventually rescinded the request for the sample from Mr. Roethlisberger.

Forensic evidence, it turned out, was scant. Although testing showed the presence of male human DNA from the woman, there was no way to match it to Mr. Roethlisberger or anyone else, according to Ted R. Staples, GBI's manager of forensic biology.

"It was an extremely small quantity of that, and there simply was not enough to generate a nuclear DNA profile from that male" Mr. Staples said. "We carried it forward and made an attempt [to obtain a DNA profile.] The only profile generated was that of the female."

Even with today's technology, the sample was so infinitesimal that nothing could be determined.

"Normally what we're looking for is about a nanogram of DNA, which is a billionth of a gram. A raisin weighs about a gram, so if you could cut a raisin into a billion pieces, we need one of those. So this particular result was far less than even a nanogram. There was something there. It just wasn't enough."

Mr. Staples said scientists could not discern the source of the DNA in the sample, whether it was from saliva, semen or something else.

On March 15, GBI Agent Carmichael also interviewed a member of the Milledgeville Police Explorers, a program for youth interested in law enforcement careers. According to the report, the youth repeated an account -- which was not substantiated by investigators -- that a 16-year-old friend's sister had told of driving Mr. Roethlisberger home while he was drunk and saying the quarterback initially wouldn't allow her to leave before he exposed himself and told her "she could do whatever she wants."

That woman also told of attending a party at Mr. Roethlisberger's home about a week later, saying he invited her to his room and stuck his hand up her skirt. She said she told her father, who "chose not to pursue the issue," according to the report. The woman did not wish to speak to investigators.

Mr. Garland declined to comment on that account, saying "We are not going to discuss the rumors or allegations. The district attorney has concluded there was no criminal conduct."

David Cornwell, another of Mr. Roethlisberger's attorneys, called it "hearsay at least twice removed."

"The fact that this was in the GBI file kind of confines its relevance to the prosecution's consideration of whether or not to charge Ben," he said. "The outcome speaks for itself."

A case closed

With no DNA, no video evidence and no eyewitness accounts, the investigation was dealt its final blow on April 2.

That afternoon, the alleged victim, her parents and her lawyers met with prosecutors and investigators at Mr. Parks' law firm in Atlanta.

Based on a previous conversation with one of the woman's lawyers, investigators had planned to interview the woman. But at the meeting, the message to investigators was unequivocal: the accuser did not want to go forward with the case.

Ten days later, Mr. Bright announced on live television that there would be no charges filed against Mr. Roethlisberger. His obstacle, he said, was not being able to prove that a crime was committed beyond a reasonable doubt. Whatever happened in the bathroom of Capital City, if anything, would remain a secret.

After a month of intense investigation that began with a conversation on a darkened street and ended in the glare of the national spotlight, the case was closed.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10108/1051441-66.stm (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10108/1051441-66.stm)

Galax Steeler
04-18-2010, 07:40 AM
Not another one.:doh:

SMR
04-18-2010, 07:43 AM
:coffee:

Stone
04-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Not another one.:doh:

You don't have to read it!

Galax Steeler
04-18-2010, 07:59 AM
You don't have to read it!

You are right I don't have to read it but I have read it already in 500 other posts on Ben with the same subject.

Kaeg
04-18-2010, 08:01 AM
I still don't understand the focus on the physical evidence. (Or lack thereof.) If he acknowledges contact, then wouldn't that make any physical evidence irrelevant? The whole world knows something happened. Shouldn't the focus be on consent at that point?

Stone
04-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Has Oprah weighed in on this yet? it has no significance to pop culture as a whole until Oprah weighs in on it! :popcorn:

No Oprah, but how about Whoopie?

Whoopie was on The View saying she wasn't going to condemn Ben. That she waited to hear all the facts, and then proceeded to tell the young ladies in the audience that they needed to act more responsibly. I saw it in a blurb online when they had Stephen A. Smith as a guest on their show talking about Ben, but I can't find it now.

plenewken
04-18-2010, 08:27 AM
A few things struck me when I read this article this morning is that the inconsistencies in the alleged victim's statements, were verbal, made immediately after the incident to the GA cop, which later resigned by the way.
He's the one who reported what she told him, nobody else.
Her 2 written statements appear to be fairly consistent.

I also noticed that all members of Ben's entourage initially refused to identify themselves to the cops.

I'm just saying .....................

Ricco Suavez
04-18-2010, 08:34 AM
I have gave this a lot of thought and I think it is time to be done with Ben and for the following reasons. First there was the motorcycle accident, sure nothing major illegal but he should not have put his self in that situation. Come on, he has got to realize he is the face of the franchise and cannot put his career in jeopardy. everyone knows or should know that riding a motorcycle without a helmet is potentially dangerous.

While I'm at it I think about all the players from the 70's that took steroids and endangered their lives. Hey I know it was not illegal but what does that matter the Steelers had to know since it was so rampart then. How could the team allow players to inject themselves with something without knowing the long term affects and risking their careers and quality of life at later dates. Oh well thats only one strike against the Steeler Organization.

Back to Ben. Then the scumbag gets accused of rape in Nevada. He knows better than to have sex with that woman. I mean she has shown no signs of mental instability, so what if she did not report a crime but waited to file a civil case for money, I am going to take her word as gospel. I for one cannot believe after some initial investigation Ben was not charged with some kind of crime.

While I'm at it I think about the Superbowl we "won" against Seattle. The Steelers took alot of hits about how they got all the breaks even national sports writers and anchors made remarks to that affect. The losing coach even made a public cry on TV how they could not beat the Steelers and the Referees too. Hey with that kind of evidence I do not know if the team I love deserves my support. But it was one instance and I'm sure if something w as wrong our Commish would of handled it professionally. Besides no charges were brought against the team.

Back to Ben . Now after the first two strikes the douche has the nerve to have another girl accuse him. I do not give a tinkers damn that it was investigated for weeks, I do not care they found the accuser 's testimony inconsistent, or lack of viable DNA. I do not care that they where only minutes away from police, that she had her own entourage that was very supportive of her and yet did not call 9-11. This is the last straw, he must be guilty cause everyone knows where "where there smoke there is fire". It is just a technicality that no formal charges or arrests have ever been made. Hey string him up as far as I am concerned.

While I'm at it I think about the last Supebowl the Steelers won. More accusations by other fans,sportscasters, internet bloggers on how we won another tainted title. I mean they have no real proof, their arguments are inconsistent , no real evidence, just a lot of public opinion. The Steelers do not have a problem winning without the referees help. Hey I not going to listen to people say that both games were similar and that its obvious we have issues winning fair.

Back to Ben. While I know we have no proof of Ben doing anything legally wrong, I am sure we would all agree that he is just not the kind of player we need leading this team. I mean so what he has quarterbacked this team to two tainted titles, youngest winning QB in Superbowl history, makes a habit of leading comebacks and has broken numerous team and NFL records. His morals are not mine or this Steeler team. Good bye Ben.

While I'm at it. What about other players that have played with the Steelers, just because some of them have been arrested for or charged for, rape, domestic violence, discharging a weapon,drug possession, public intoxication, urinating in public, surely none of these players finished their career with the team. I am sure that even though charges may have been dropped we would not tolerate any players shedding a bad light on this team. After all that is the Steeler way.

Before I get ripped for this let me say this was posted in the spirit of sarcasm. To show how ridiculous it is to judge someone or a team without evidence or cold hard facts. Accusations and innuendos are easy to throw at a person, a spin can be made on nearly any situation. Our organization is a great one, in my opinion the greatest, but we are not without skeletons in the closet. All i would ask is give Ben a chance to either prove all this is a series of unfortunate events or if he is the problem let him hang his self by his future actions. This will play out I just do not want the Rooneys to make a harsh decision based on public perception that could very well jeopardize this team for along time.

zulater
04-18-2010, 08:36 AM

How many woman has Jim Brown been accused of physically assualting? He's been convicted more than once hasn't he? And this is your beacon of light? :noidea:

I don't disagree with anything Jim Brown said, and I think he's done quite a bit of good in this world despite some prior domestic issues.

But I find it highly ironic that you'd see him comparable to Bill Cosby while you seem to have an uncharged Roethlisberger somewhere near the Attila the Hun category? :noidea:

LambertIsGod58
04-18-2010, 08:45 AM
They are not gonna trade him the Rooneys are not stupid.

I don't know what's more stupid......trading him or keepin him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-18-2010, 08:46 AM
I don't know what's more stupid......trading him or keepin him.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

zulater
04-18-2010, 08:57 AM
With no DNA, no video evidence and no eyewitness accounts, the investigation was dealt its final blow on April 2.

That afternoon, the alleged victim, her parents and her lawyers met with prosecutors and investigators at Mr. Parks' law firm in Atlanta.

Based on a previous conversation with one of the woman's lawyers, investigators had planned to interview the woman. But at the meeting, the message to investigators was unequivocal: the accuser did not want to go forward with the case.

Ten days later, Mr. Bright announced on live television that there would be no charges filed against Mr. Roethlisberger. His obstacle, he said, was not being able to prove that a crime was committed beyond a reasonable doubt. Whatever happened in the bathroom of Capital City, if anything, would remain a secret.

I still contend that true victims of rape have an obligation to woman everywhere to pursue criminal charges to the best of their ability against their alleged assailants. I understand how difficult this may be, but what might be more difficult is if their attacker victimizes other woman in the future, perhaps the level of the crime even escalating, then how do you think this girl would feel about herself for bailing out?

If she was in fact raped, I think she was poorly advised to not to pursue this case to the best of her ability. Even if the DA still chose not to go foward at least she could be satisfied with herself that she didn't take the easy way out and did what was right.

If she embellished or mispresented the events of that night then she was wise to not seek charges.

I don't think either scenario is more likely than the other.

Ricco Suavez
04-18-2010, 08:59 AM
A few things struck me when I read this article this morning is that the inconsistencies in the alleged victim's statements, were verbal, made immediately after the incident to the GA cop, which later resigned by the way.
He's the one who reported what she told him, nobody else.
Her 2 written statements appear to be fairly consistent.

I also noticed that all members of Ben's entourage initially refused to identify themselves to the cops.

I'm just saying .....................

No you are implying.......................................... ..............................:coffee:

SteelerEmpire
04-18-2010, 09:03 AM
This debate should not be about the race of Ben. If anything it should be about the culture of women that would set up a man for rape or sexual assault that will destroy his life and make him have to register as a sex offender the rest of it.

Anyway. As I was reading the article, I was thinking in the back of my mind how much this "Steelers" organization has done for black players and coaches in the league and on this team. Then I got to the comments from Jim Brown and he apparently was thinking the same...: the Steeler front office has gone out of its way to spacifically combat racism in the NFL. The Steeler executives deserve a reward, not chastisement.

70% of the players in the NFL are black. 4 of the 6 SB MVP's of the Steelers are black as well as the current head coach. It would be "the pinnacle of unawareness " for Goodell or the Steelers front office NOT to take into account the perspective of the African American community... but at the same time, they should give Ben the "right " discipline and not one based on public opinion. Weather that discipline be 0 or a multigame suspention.

I think in the future Goodell should not be so quick to suspend black or white players... as his totalitarian approach is what got us to this debate in the first place... Goodell should explain this situation... not anyone else...

Was not the cop that took the initial report black ??

With the NFL being the #1 viewed sport in the United States and the itchy trigger finger of Goodell, expect the players and employees to try to gain power while taking some from the commish... I can see that senario happening real soon...

Preacher
04-18-2010, 09:07 AM
How many woman has Jim Brown been accused of physically assualting? He's been convicted more than once hasn't he? And this is your beacon of light? :noidea:

I don't disagree with anything Jim Brown said, and I think he's done quite a bit of good in this world despite some prior domestic issues.

But I find it highly ironic that you'd see him comparable to Bill Cosby while you seem to have an uncharged Roethlisberger somewhere near the Attila the Hun category? :noidea:

Talk about looking for a witch-hunt.

I was speaking ONLY of his comments regarding race. To read anything else into what I was saying is simply to read your own bias into my comments.

plenewken
04-18-2010, 09:10 AM
No you are implying.......................................... ..............................:coffee:

No, I'm noticing.

wdsteel
04-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Back to Ricco.. you put some time in this and think you did a nice job jabbing that stick around but but the last SB win cant recall or didnt see what call was made or wasnt called on us or for us..
While im at it.. some of you say they are gold digger's and after a quick payday on the 2 time 100m steeler's QB.. now it's mostly where he goe's but why did we not see anything like this for the other top 5 QB's in the game.Next year are we gona see Drew in the paper's and say yes its all about gold digger's or Damn its another Ben...
Back to other QB's....No one wanted E.Manning after giants win?or Tom Brady (Man or Woman :sofunny: )..Drew has a year to get hit..what about all the other high Paid non QB's that dont get charged or put themself in wrong time wrong place.. alot of them do..Others just break things piss where ever get shot or shoot themself.
Back to he she..It's she said he said but both say same thing so it did happen now who changed the 1st half of the story now for Ben this is 2nd lawsuit that has someone changing the 1st half but the other is some what Nutty but he still still went into his room with her for a good time.The 3rd was droped before coming out so no worries on that.
Back to Ben...hope this smack in the face REALY hurts him to he wakes up and quits his high flying party life and thinks before acting...not that hes wrong or right..but WAAKE UP!
Back to sorry... what better way to say im sorry to the steeler's....
another SB win :thumbsup:
:tt: :tt03:

Ricco Suavez
04-18-2010, 09:40 AM
This was done in the spirit of being sarcastic or even a parody. if you did not hear of any plays in the last Superbowl that were spinned on by other fans then you were the only Steeler fan that i have heard of that did not. As far as putting a spin for or against either of the parties involved in this I believe it has happened often , I just want people to give an innocent man the benefit of the doubt until hard prove comes forth. So far nothing is concrete against Ben just conflicting reports that did not warrant a charge being leveled against him. Remember in the past aggressive DA's charged a college lacrosse team and a high profile NBA player and had egg on their face later.

NEPAsteeler
04-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Ugh. :doh:

SteelerEmpire
04-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Article:

While commissioner Roger Goodell, Pittsburgh Steelers chairman Dan Rooney and team president Art Rooney II mull appropriate discipline for QB Ben Roethlisberger following continued off-field troubles in violation of the league's code of conduct, Fox NFL Sunday pregame analyst Jimmy Johnson told USA TODAY on Friday he wouldn't trade the embattled quarterback.

"I would suspend him, I would discipline him,'' the former Dallas Cowboys and Miami Dolphins head coach said. "You don't trade away a Ben Roethlisberger, unless you want to start back from scratch again.''

Johnson said the two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback deserves a strong disciplinary message based on salacious details disclosed from more than 500 pages of police documents by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette under the Georgia Open Records Act. A district attorney announced Monday in Milledgeville, Ga., that Roethlisberger would not face charges due to a lack of evidence that the quarterback sexually assaulted a 20-year-old Georgia college student.

The 28-year-old quarterback denied committing any criminal action.

"Reading some of the reports today, he's obviously made some very poor decisions,'' Johnson said. "Obviously, he has to be penalized because he's made some poor decisions and he's embarrassed the Steelers and he's embarrassed the NFL.

"I wouldn't trade him. Quarterbacks are too hard to find." --

LINK: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/04/jimmy-johnson-steelers-should-suspend-but-not-trade-ben-roethlisberger/1

millwalldavey
04-18-2010, 09:50 AM
I can see people trying to spin this... it all happened at the same inopportune time.

Alas, much easier to get a team to take one contract over the other. That's really it.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Finally some logic out of the NFL.
Well Said Jimmy.

With that said and the countless Rooney articles that are out there, I'm getting a bad feeling they may trade him.

HanSteelers
04-18-2010, 09:56 AM
took the words right out of my mouth jimmy

I hope that we don't trade him everyday
and i dont think we are going to

Ricco Suavez
04-18-2010, 09:57 AM
My sentiments exactly. Send a message that he is going to have to remove his self from these type situation. I am guessing 2-4 game suspension. A trade unless a really sweet one would be a knee jerk reaction based more than anything on public opinion.

steeldawg
04-18-2010, 10:02 AM
wow lol i didnt even read the last paragraph till after i typed a page long post ripping your post.

steeldawg
04-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Good job jimmy of not piling on and being truthful about this situation.

MasterOfPuppets
04-18-2010, 10:13 AM

Wow. Good for him. And I gotta say, it is impressive. Reminds me a lot of Bill Cosby, to be honest. :toofunny: .... yep..what a great man he is... thats equivalent to a herion addict telling an alcholic he should stop drinking.

But for all Brown's good deeds and athletic prowess, there appears to be a dark side to him as well. He has been frequently accused of violent crimes, primarily toward women.

An 18-year-old accused Brown of forcing her to have sex after giving her whisky, but a jury found him innocent of assault and battery in the 10-day trial in 1965. He was accused of throwing his girlfriend from a balcony in 1968, but when the 22-year-old woman refused to name Brown as her assailant, the charge of assault with intent to murder was dropped. He was fined $300 for resisting a deputy.

Brown was acquitted of assaulting a man after a traffic accident in 1969. He was fined $500 and spent a day in jail after beating up a golfing partner in 1978. He was charged with rape, sexual battery and assault in 1985, but the charges were dropped when the 33-year-old woman gave inconsistent testimony.

The next year, he was arrested for allegedly beating his fiancée after accusing her of flirting. He spent three hours in jail, but three days later the 21-year-old woman said she didn't want to prosecute.

In October 1999, Brown was convicted in Los Angeles of smashing the window of his 25-year-old wife Monique's car, but was acquitted of making terrorist threats against her. The judge sentenced him to three years' probation, stripped him of his driver's license for a year, fined him $1,700 to be paid to a battered woman's shelter and a domestic abuse fund, and ordered him to attend special counseling for domestic batterers.

When Brown refused counseling, he was given a six-month sentence. He was released from jail in Ventura County (California) in July 2002 after serving less than four months.
http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/Brown_Jim.html

wdsteel
04-18-2010, 10:16 AM
was not trying to rip you or your post but just addind a few things and after Sb i didnt pay any mind to other non steeler fans lol so if they ripped last few plays oh well..i take the win was not I or the steelers that did or didnt make calls or did they:rofl:

but i saw the sarcasm part..

steeldawg
04-18-2010, 10:16 AM
:toofunny: .... yep..what a great man he is...

http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/Brown_Jim.html

And he is regarded as one of the great men of the nfl. :noidea:

Stanley
04-18-2010, 10:17 AM
First, I take everything that Dan Le Batard says or writes with a grain of salt.
Le Batard constantly panders to the race card.

Second, Charles Barkley is a loudmouth blowhard who constantly plays the race card.

Having said that, if I were the NFL Commissioner, I would come down extra hard on Roethlisberger.
That way, the next time a Black player gets into trouble, the race hustlers can't say that he was treated more harshly than the White player.

I know that's not fair, but Big Ben has nobody to blame but himself.

steeldawg
04-18-2010, 10:20 AM
First, I take everything that Dan Le Batard says or writes with a grain of salt.
Le Batard constantly panders to the race card.

Second, Charles Barkley is a loudmouth blowhard who constantly plays the race card.

Having said that, if I were the NFL Commissioner, I would come down extra hard on Roethlisberger.
That way, the next time a Black player gets into trouble, the race hustlers can't say that he was treated more harshly than the White player.

I know that's not fair, but Big Ben has nobody to blame but himself.

coming down extra hard on roethlisberger cause hes white is racist in itself. Not implying yor racist sir just pointing that out. :wave:

steeldawg
04-18-2010, 10:22 AM
I can appreciaciate the sarcasm you can really see how ridiculous some of the things are that folks are arguing about.

Kratos
04-18-2010, 10:27 AM
I think what really shook people up was the seemingly choreographic nature of the situation. Some people were upset about it, but it wasn't till the report that one of the bodyguards lead her down a hallway and sat her there to wait for Ben that people really started to take it to heart. That seems shady as f#@&.

Even if all he did back in this hallway with her is compliment her Hello Kitty T-shirt, that maneuver made this seem much worse in the court of public opinion. It just gives the impression that they may do this kind of thing all the time. Like it was a professional hit. Like Ben said before they got there, "When the chick is finally drunk enough, I'll signal you, you take here to a isolated area, then I'll swoop in and nail her." I'm not saying that's what I think he did, but that whole sequence of events made me think of that, and I'm sure it put that impression into a lot of other peoples heads.

I'll just say this, if it was indeed choreographed in that way, I would never be comfortable cheering for him again. But, of course we'll never find that out. And that's the real shame about it, you'll never know for sure. So, you'll always have doubts about him.

Ricco Suavez
04-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Hey I understand. I just want fair treatment for Ben. Like I posted earlier if this is a pattern it will resurface again and eventually he will be charged and/or convicted. But I would rather have "I told you so " thrown in my face than make another possible wrong against a presumed innocent man.

MasterOfPuppets
04-18-2010, 10:29 AM
coming down extra hard on roethlisberger cause hes white is racist in itself. Not implying yor racist sir just pointing that out. :wave:

and denying a qualified white person a job in order to hire an unqualified minority for the same job just to fill a quota is also racist ... oh wait...thats called affirmative action or something like that...:noidea:

vasteeler
04-18-2010, 10:32 AM
they are not going to trade him

wdsteel
04-18-2010, 10:34 AM
white/black/red/purple should not mater..If Goodell was black and Vick and Pacman was white. and Ben black
the outcome of each case would be the same..close your eyes and we are all the same..
I think ben is Guilty of putting himself into this mess and thats it...that is an opinion from someone that only read about the case and has no matter in the outcome of it just like anyone else other then the 2 parties.
read this and think what color am I ..does it matter or do you say im white? or am i black?
dont mater what i am just what you think i typ on here :)

steeldawg
04-18-2010, 10:48 AM
You would think players would be lobbying for a lesser suspension for ben giving the fact he has not been charged or arrested. Reason being if the commish comes down hard on ben then players in the future are going to recieve the same fate. So really going forward in the nfl its not enough to be innocent its to be lucky enough to not have allegations made. This is not a racial issue ben is getting suspended but now people dont think hes being suspended fast enough. the reason goodell is waiting till after the draft is because hes protecting the nfl's image , he wants to let it die down and let the draft take some light off of this situation. The draft is on of the most watched events on tv so the last thing goodell wants is that to be littered with ben talk.

Stanley
04-18-2010, 11:16 AM

I agree. If we lived in a perfect world, race wouldn't be a factor.
But I'm talking about reality.

If I were the Commissioner, I would say to myself: If I go light on Roethlisberger (2 - 4game suspension) and six months from now a Black player commits an even worse offense, I will be pressured to give him a light punishment even if his action deserves a more serious punishment.

If I were the Commissioner, I would be thinking 8 or 10 game suspension.

BTW - I think that the Commish was far too lenient on Vick. Suspending Vick for 3 exibition games was a farce. It wasn't even a slap on the wrist. it was more like a kiss on the wrist. Isn't it ironic that the same race hustlers who defended Vick, are now howling for Big Ben's head.

:mallet:

Merchant
04-18-2010, 11:20 AM
they are not going to trade him

Keep your fingers crossed.

steelerohio
04-18-2010, 11:23 AM
It would be really ridiculous to rade BB. He's too good and teams have a hard time findng a QB that will help them win games... I mean, look at the Clowns over the past ten years...

stillers4me
04-18-2010, 11:34 AM

Spot on.

Gnutella
04-18-2010, 11:36 AM
I can't help but notice how the alleged victim's friends were the one who pushed the issue.

Prok
04-18-2010, 11:39 AM
"Wishful words of wisdom: Let it be."

(did i get lyrics right ?)

steelpride12
04-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Well at least someone can speak the truth.

WH
04-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Jimmy Johnson definately knows tolerance if there is another coach that's had to have tolerance. I doubt, however, that the Rooney's really give two poo's what Jimmy Johnson thinks on the matter.

Ben better have a decent season, or their going to pin his butt to a wall.

why?

His talent and position on the team are the only two things keeping the Rooney's from getting rid of him.

WH
04-18-2010, 11:54 AM
BTW - I think that the Commish was far too lenient on Vick. Suspending Vick for 3 exibition games was a farce. It wasn't even a slap on the wrist. it was more like a kiss on the wrist. Isn't it ironic that the same race hustlers who defended Vick, are now howling for Big Ben's head.

Vick got suspended for the first two weeks of the regular season also and was available by week 3
http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2009/09/03/Goodell-reduces-Vicks-suspension/UPI-40591252022322/

That weak suspension for something he was accused, arrested, tried, and convicted for? Ben shouldn't be given more than 1 game. And when Goodell is telling the media this, he should use Vick's light punishment as an example.

wdsteel
04-18-2010, 11:57 AM
we nned better OL for the season and even better OL to follow him offseason :)

mikegrimey
04-18-2010, 12:00 PM
The minute Ben mounts another amazing comeback drive to give us a win half of his detractors will be going gaga over him again, that goes for the media too.

SteelerEmpire
04-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Vick got suspended for the first two weeks of the regular season also and was available by week 3
http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2009/09/03/Goodell-reduces-Vicks-suspension/UPI-40591252022322/

That weak suspension for something he was accused, arrested, tried, and convicted for? Ben shouldn't be given more than 1 game. And when Goodell is telling the media this, he should use Vick's light punishment as an example.

Yea. Vick lied about his involvement, went to the Pen., got out, and only got a 2 game suspention... Ben was never even arrested.

I think Ben needs to call Tony Dungy and work with him so he can get out of this...

SteelerEmpire
04-18-2010, 12:25 PM

The truth will set you free... :thumbsup:

stb_steeler
04-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Will the saga ever end......:banging:

TheRuneMeister
04-18-2010, 12:32 PM
To be honest, I'll be rooting for the Steelers as I always do, but not for Ben personally...if that is even possible. I could take his somewhat arrogant attitude, but so much has happened this past year that I simply won't know exactly how I will feel about him once the season starts.

xbroughneck
04-18-2010, 12:33 PM
Agreed.

Hell... Unless he gets convicted of something we shouldn't even be talking about trading.

Suspensions, fines, and getting help. THAT's what the Steelers organization needs to do.

The Steelers aren't EVER going to get equal value, and the odds of them getting themselves another QB that will get them to the super bowl within the next 25 years (that's a long time people) are very slim.

I remember WHY the Steelers didn't win a SB until they got Ben (and in case you guys forgot...Neil O'Donnell was the LOSING QB).

He has that school yard, will to win intangible that not every QB has. It's something that Manning doesn't even have. The ability to make something out of nothing and get positive results.

HELP the guy, but NO WAY DO WE TRADE HIM.

Cliff Stoudt
Mark Malone
Bubby Brister
Kordell Stewart
Mike Tomzak
Tommy Maddox
Jim Miller

Uhm...no thanks. I'll take our current QB.

stb_steeler
04-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Herm Edwards also stated on ESPN, he thinks the Steelers wont trade Ben either. Thats others opinions not Rooney's. Like the statement says, he's not convicted of anything, just poor judgment.

xbroughneck
04-18-2010, 12:36 PM
His talent and position on the team are the only two things keeping the Rooney's from getting rid of him.

Agreed. Plus the fact that I have a hard time believing any other QB could be successful...

1) Running Arians offense scheme (Dixon has been in it for awhile)
2) surviving behind that offensive line running that scheme (we'll see if Dixon can take the hits Ben takes)

stb_steeler
04-18-2010, 12:41 PM
"Wishful words of wisdom: Let it be."

(did i get lyrics right ?)

Yes, says Paul and Ringo! :jammin:

steeltheone
04-18-2010, 12:43 PM
The only jersey i wore on sundays was BB. This year i will not. I hope he gets soundly booed at Heinz..

WH
04-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Let's hire Shawn Michael's to kick some sense into Ben. It worked against Pittsburgh star Kurt Angle Wo9flYTRKmg

TheRuneMeister
04-18-2010, 01:55 PM
Yea. Vick lied about his involvement, went to the Pen., got out, and only got a 2 game suspention
The NFL suspended him indefinitely back in 2007, and he spent 2 years out of the league...PLUS the 2 games in the 2009 season. That's a 34 reg. season game suspension if you are counting...

tony hipchest
04-18-2010, 02:00 PM
we need to draft Jim Tebow.

SMR
04-18-2010, 02:33 PM
While we're all at it, the Rooneys need to fire Tomlin and then themselves.

Stone
04-18-2010, 02:35 PM
The Steelers will not trade Ben Roethlisberger as long as he "toes the straight and narrow," a Steelers source tells ESPN's Len Pasquarelli.

Pasquarelli says he trusts the source implicitly. The Steelers know it would be impossible to get equal value for Big Ben, so this shouldn't come as a surprise. Pasquarelli goes on to say that coach Mike Tomlin likes Dennis Dixon, but "he's hardly ready" to turn the team over to the the developing backup. Roethlisberger is expected at Steelers practice on Monday.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=1181&line=171579&spln=1

SMR
04-18-2010, 02:53 PM
we nned better OL for the season and even better OL to follow him offseason :)

yeah....cool idea.
:chuckle:

steeldawg
04-18-2010, 02:55 PM
I've been troubled by the very common suggestion that once guys strike it rich in the NFL or anywhere else, it is suddenly open season on them, and they are all getting targeted by these gold diggers.

It just doesn't happen. Most of the big names get through their careers unscathed, criminally speaking, as well as in terms of bad publicity. There are a few repeat offenders in this league (Pacman, Chris Henry et al.) that taint everyone around them, and Ben now appears to be one of them.

Also, why does this idea pop up only with regards to rape allegations? Why not Vick's dog ring? Was he targeted because he was rich? Or was he rather a true dipstick who deserved to go to jail? What about James Harrison's and Cedric Wilson's domestic battery charges? Were their partners trying to set them up? Or did they in fact commit heinous felonies and deserve punishment? It was the latter in all cases, and clearly so.

People need to ask themselves why they are so eager to jump to Ben's defense. Something else is going on, it seems to me.

P.S. - Why is Bradford "skinny"? He weighs the same as Tebow, and he's only an inch taller.

well but in any of those cases players where arrested with charges brought against them and mike vick was busted by the feds! the feds! yes he took a dog fighting plea but the case they had against him was much bigger than that. And harrison and wilson got nowhere near the bad press roethlisberger received so im not really seeing your point obviously ben will be suspended im not sure what else you want to happen?

steeldawg
04-18-2010, 03:04 PM
The NFL suspended him indefinitely back in 2007, and he spent 2 years out of the league...PLUS the 2 games in the 2009 season. That's a 34 reg. season game suspension if you are counting...

but it was not handed down by the league he was out of the league for 2 years cause he was in the pen. so a 2 game suspension aint so bad and im not saying it shouldve been more im just saying you cant look at his prison sentence as a league suspension.

ricardisimo
04-18-2010, 03:22 PM
It looks a bit more like this "leak" was a purposeful hint to Roethlisberger to get his shit together. I'm not really sure how trading him to another team, where he would get paid just as much money, and maybe even have a decent line to boot, would be an incentive for Ben to straighten up. Still, maybe even just the peer pressure from his boys when he gets to camp might be enough for him to think about at least a 12-step for the drinking and maybe some sort of counseling for what we can all agree is at least a groping problem.

theplatypus
04-18-2010, 03:25 PM
I swear, sometimes it seems that the setting sun causes cries of racism.

JSH6487
04-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Well there's hardly any real racism anymore so they have to cry and make stuff up about everything and anything. Always gotta play the victim card.

TheRuneMeister
04-18-2010, 03:33 PM
but it was not handed down by the league he was out of the league for 2 years cause he was in the pen. so a 2 game suspension aint so bad and im not saying it shouldve been more im just saying you cant look at his prison sentence as a league suspension.
Well, thats just not correct. Just because they did not put a timeframe on the suspension it doesn't mean that it wasn't ongoing. It certainly was. You geographical location shouldn't determine whether or not the suspension 'counts'. That would mean that if Ben left Pitt during his suspension he would not be in a location where he could play, thus the suspension was not in effect. Makes no sense.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-18-2010, 03:51 PM
It was a joke...geesh.

You couldn't be FURTHER from the truth of what I feel about this franchise. Nice try, though...

ricardisimo
04-18-2010, 03:52 PM
well but in any of those cases players where arrested with charges brought against them and mike vick was busted by the feds! the feds! yes he took a dog fighting plea but the case they had against him was much bigger than that. And harrison and wilson got nowhere near the bad press roethlisberger received so im not really seeing your point obviously ben will be suspended im not sure what else you want to happen?

I was referring mostly to the idea that women who bring rape allegations are "just looking to cash in", or some such nonsense. It's an unspeakably misogynistic reduction to... well, I'd say absurdity, but it seems uglier than that.

My point was, charges or no charges, is every accusation against a big-name player just an attempt to "cash in"? No, clearly not. That only seems to happen with rape charges. I'm not sure of the psychology behind that, or why anyone would even think that fake rape charges are some kind of growth industry, but... whatever.

wiz1120
04-18-2010, 03:52 PM

A lot of people that look they are defending Ben are actually just sitting and waiting for everything to come out. For all we know, these could all be lies. But they could also be 100% true. So why judge Ben before we know anything?

People keep saying that he should have never put himself in these situations, whether the girls are lying or not. For all of you people who are saying this, hypothetically, if these girls came out and said everything was a complete lie tomorrow, you would still want him traded because he put himself in this situation. Are you kidding me???

All Steeler fans should be playing the wait and see game instead of taking sides based on a drunk girls account of a night and a civil suit filed a year after it happened.

JSH6487
04-18-2010, 04:01 PM

I'm eager to jump to defend whatever is going to give the Steelers the best chance to win, and that is obviously with Ben in the lineup. Why do you and a lot of others keep trying to have everyone else play DA. It's not my job to try and figure out if he did it or not. The DA made his decision not to charge based on lack of evidence. Case over.

And now that the case is over and Ben hasn't been charged, all this trade/suspension talk is ridiculous. Trade him for what? For having bad morals? Give me a break. If you want everyone gone who has bad morals there wouldn't even be a league.

polamalubeast
04-18-2010, 04:18 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/380551-ben-rothlisberger-debate-must-be-put-to-rest?source=rss_teams_Pittsburgh_Steelers

Ben Roethlisberger Debate Must Be Put To Rest
by Tom Shelley Correspondent Written on April 18, 2010
Karl Walter/Getty Images Dear, Steelers fans, Steelers haters, NFC lovers, AFC lovers, young, old, male, and female,

It's time to put the Ben Roethlisberger debate to rest.

The allegations against Ben Roethlisberger are the biggest headline to hit the NFL since Michael Vick was found to have led an underground dog fighting ring three years ago.

The end result is that no charges were filed because of a lack of evidence and because the accuser decided to drop the case. Whether Roethlisberger faces suspension or any other punishment will not be known until after the NFL Draft, which has transitioned to a new three-day format and will start this Thursday evening.

However, the debate of whether Roethlisberger committed any crime or deserves punishment still rages on. And it could become a debate the likes of which haven't been seen since the O.J. Simpson trial.

There are hundreds of articles taking one side or the other being published daily, followed by thousands of comments either affirming or detesting the articles' point of view.

Some of these comments are informative and truly are in the spirit of debate.

Some are not.

On either side of the debate there are hundreds of comments containing racism, hate speech, foul language, sexism, and sometimes just pure hatred.

A case involving rape or sexual assault is extremely controversial and hits close to home emotionally for many, which is part of the reason why so many people have had such emotional responses.

However, debating the validity of the results of the investigation is like debating religion. Everyone will believe what they will and seldom will someone on the opposite side actually see things from the other's point of view, regardless of facts that either present.

So here's a proposition: Can we just agree to disagree?

Regardless of what any of us think, it will not change the outcome of the investigation, nor impact the decision of Roger Goodell and the Steelers organization.

This time of year should be about free agency, the Draft and teams' schedules for next year, not about fighting one another about morals and the validity of a criminal investigation.

I ask, no, plead NFL nation to get back to football. Depending on talks this season, we may not have football in 2011. Wouldn't you rather enjoy this season rather than spend the whole time debating something we can't impact?

SMR
04-18-2010, 04:28 PM
:thumbsup:

Now moving on....... :coffee:

stb_steeler
04-18-2010, 05:10 PM
I cheer for a lot of athlethes that I don't admire as a person. I have no problem cheering Ben on. I won't boo him.

Same here, i for one have not givin up on Ben. I believe in giving a person his chance to change and if Ben can show that he's capable of doing that, then great for him. Could ya imagine if Ben was traded today and we end up with losing seasons for the next 3-4 years what they gonna say then....hmmm. The best thing we as fans can do is show our support, after all forgiving some one for their faults is one of the best ways to help them change. I could see it the guy was convicted of the so called charges, but we arent seeing anything but he said she said shit. And the whole problem with most of this is the Freaking Media wanting the biggest story in NFL anyhow. :thumbsup:

Godfather
04-18-2010, 05:21 PM
I think what really shook people up was the seemingly choreographic nature of the situation. Some people were upset about it, but it wasn't till the report that one of the bodyguards lead her down a hallway and sat her there to wait for Ben that people really started to take it to heart. That seems shady as f#@&.

Even if all he did back in this hallway with her is compliment her Hello Kitty T-shirt, that maneuver made this seem much worse in the court of public opinion. It just gives the impression that they may do this kind of thing all the time. Like it was a professional hit. Like Ben said before they got there, "When the chick is finally drunk enough, I'll signal you, you take here to a isolated area, then I'll swoop in and nail her." I'm not saying that's what I think he did, but that whole sequence of events made me think of that, and I'm sure it put that impression into a lot of other peoples heads.

I'll just say this, if it was indeed choreographed in that way, I would never be comfortable cheering for him again. But, of course we'll never find that out. And that's the real shame about it, you'll never know for sure. So, you'll always have doubts about him.

I think what bothers fans the most here is that there's no smoking gun like there was with McNutty. The accuser didn't send out a long trail of self-incriminating emails. All we have to hang our hat on is the lack of DNA.

BlastFurnace
04-18-2010, 05:24 PM
You know what....suspend him for 8 games and then just take him out in the middle of Pittsburgh and just execute him. I think that may satisfy those who are so hung up on race.

I am so sick and tired of hearing about this. First and foremost the fault of this is Ben's for putting himself in this predicament. Additionally, I blame Goodell and the Rooney's for prolonging this and not announcing his suspension right now. I know it's sacreligious to blame the Rooney's for anything...but that is how I feel. If you want to make a statement to society, then DO IT! Don't stand on a freaking podium with a long face and tell us how disapointed you are in Ben. WE ALREADY KNOW THAT!!! Get it over with. Make it a suspension for the ages. Make it count!

For those in society that are obsessed with making things equal in their own eyes...Give the people what they want. Don't tell us that you want to focus on the draft. If you don't know who or what you want in the draft 1 week prior to drafting...it's going to be a disaster anyway.

All I know is that the next person....and there will be a "next" NFL player...who does this...better get the exact same treatment and have as many people in the media obsessing over it.

stillers4me
04-18-2010, 05:31 PM
:applaudit:

steelerdude15
04-18-2010, 05:32 PM
It's about time a writer figured this out.

stillers4me
04-18-2010, 05:32 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Smileys/N1butbutHL.gif

robzombie813
04-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Trouble is, that is easier said than done. I mean, this has been in the thoughts and on the tongues of just about everyone in Steeler Nation for about a month now.

I, for one, would love to see this shown to the door and kicked unceremoniously out, but, that just isn't going to happen. I don't think we will hear the end of this until after the draft, and dare I say, maybe even longer?

stillers4me
04-18-2010, 05:40 PM
I will still cheer Ben. At this time, he is our QB and when he is on the field each Sunday he's doing his job and has my support. The success of the whole team depends on him so it would be stupid to wish him nothing but success for him. I hope with all my heart that he can go the next few years without any more incidents and accusations and tries to show the Steelers nation and the Pittsburgh community that he realizes what a butthole he's been liviing and acting like and moves heaven and earth to make amends. ( A Superbowl win wouldn't be a bad idea, either).

I will say that neither myself or my husband will be wearing any Ben gear in the near future, simply because we live in Cinci and take enough of that shit without going into this territory, too. I will stick with my Troy jersey and Russ just picked up a Lambert one and the end of the season. We both own Ben jerseys and future use will have to be earned by the big guy.

Prok
04-18-2010, 05:43 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Smileys/N1butbutHL.gif

LOL

I agree. It's time for us to end this crap and move on.

:tt:

Godfather
04-18-2010, 05:44 PM
I agree. If we lived in a perfect world, race wouldn't be a factor.
But I'm talking about reality.

If I were the Commissioner, I would say to myself: If I go light on Roethlisberger (2 - 4game suspension) and six months from now a Black player commits an even worse offense, I will be pressured to give him a light punishment even if his action deserves a more serious punishment.

If I were the Commissioner, I would be thinking 8 or 10 game suspension.

If I were commissioner, I'd leave the question of guilt or innocence to the legal system. No arrest = no league discipline. Criminal conviction = suspension depending on the severity of the incident and the rap sheet.

steeltheone
04-18-2010, 05:49 PM
We will hear about this all season from other fans......

stillers4me
04-18-2010, 05:56 PM
We will hear about this all season from other fans......

The commentators will never shut up about. Plan on watching the games with the sound off. :coffee:

BlastFurnace
04-18-2010, 06:01 PM
The commentators will never shut up about. Plan on watching the games with the sound off. :coffee:

I usually watch the game and listen to Hillgrove. For the most part, I cannot stand the NFL commentators. The only one's I like are the one's on Fox...mainly because of Jimmy and Terry.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
04-18-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm eager to jump to defend whatever is going to give the Steelers the best chance to win, and that is obviously with Ben in the lineup. Why do you and a lot of others keep trying to have everyone else play DA. It's not my job to try and figure out if he did it or not. The DA made his decision not to charge based on lack of evidence. Case over.

And now that the case is over and Ben hasn't been charged, all this trade/suspension talk is ridiculous. Trade him for what? For having bad morals? Give me a break. If you want everyone gone who has bad morals there wouldn't even be a league.

Very true. The mere idea of even thinking of trading Ben is COMPLETELY INSANE. How can he control accusations that don't have enough merit to result in a charge? Where were these people asking for Bettis to be traded back in the day?

kmsteelerwr15
04-18-2010, 07:32 PM
If only it were that easy :coffee:

zulater
04-18-2010, 07:39 PM
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0810042kobe5.html

Damn Colin

You love Koby, but you seem to have forgot he choked this poor girl while forcibly having intercourse with her.

Or at least that's what a witness statement claims from an accuser that never had to undergo cross examination. Who knows, maybe after a vigorous cross she might have been singing a different tune? But I guess we'll never know will we? Maybe Kobe was a monster that night, maybe not? He wrote a big enough check so that we never had to find out.

Now fast foward to the present. Anything recent in the news put you in mind of this? You know, maybe a certain quarterback that you managed to put in the same sentence as Jeffrey Dahmer on Fridays show.

Witness statements from the accuser while powerful aren't always 100 percent reliable. Only one side of the story is getting out.

Think about it.

Above is the contents of an e-mail I just sent off to Colin Cowherd.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Go Ben

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Could have kept it short and said. Ben did not do anything. Girl falsely accuses QB. Girl should spend several years in jail!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
04-18-2010, 07:56 PM
His conduct was not good by all accounts. There are enough witnesses and all have similar descriptions of Ben's behavior. Whether or not he raped anyone is not clear, but what is clear is Ben is a classless douche bag.

This guy is a friggen moron... He's a scum bag and he's getting what he deserves.

Dont care about Bens actions as a douche bag! The complaint was Rape! He didnt rape her. She also gave several different reports, none of which matched her two friends (who both gave different reports)....
She should be tried and conviceted? Placed in jail!:chuckle:

St33lersguy
04-18-2010, 08:00 PM
I would go with what the girl herself said

Edman
04-18-2010, 08:24 PM
What will happen to the offense this year?

We have an ancient Hines, Wallace, Battle, and El at WR. Oh, and theres that Lima Bean.

Will the Steelers stop flirting with an inferior version of Greatest Show on Turf or maybe instill some balance on Offense for once? I should be more concerned about the Defense, though.

Psyychoward86
04-18-2010, 08:28 PM
The latter is what i was thinking. Im willing to bet that losing Santo could be a blessing in disguise. Dont forget that we throw tons of balls at heath miller, Rashard, and moore also!

polamalubeast
04-18-2010, 08:30 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-roethlisbergersuspension041810

Sources: Big Ben suspension expected by Tuesday

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports
19 minutes ago

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is expected to suspend Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger(notes) on Monday or Tuesday as a result of the recent sexual assault investigation in Milledgeville, Ga., multiple sources have indicated to Yahoo! Sports.

Though the Ocmulgee Circuit District Attorney announced last Monday that Roethlisberger wouldn’t be charged in the case, sources close to the quarterback said he is unlikely to fight the punishment.

Roethlisberger, who apologized following last week’s announcement for the negative attention the incident garnered, would prefer to put the matter to rest as quickly as possible, three sources close to him said.

“Ben understands where this is going and he knows there’s punishment he’ll have to take,” one of the aforementioned sources close to Roethlisberger said. “He knows how much this hurt the team and the league. He wants to make this right.”

While NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said he has been given no timetable for a decision, the question remains whether Goodell will keep the suspension to one or two games or make it four games or longer. It is also unknown whether the Steelers will levy an additional penalty upon Roethlisberger of if a punishment will be factored into the league’s suspension. Over the weekend, two league sources said Goodell was growing angrier by the day as more information from the investigation became public.

The investigation has included statements from witnesses in the case that a bodyguard in Roethlisberger’s entourage blocked other people from going to find Roethlisberger and the woman in a bathroom in the bar where the incident took place.

While the investigation details damaging evidence against the accuser as well and includes a statement by the woman that she didn’t want to press charges against Roethlisberger, it is clear that Roethlisberger is losing in the court of public opinion.

“After you read the file and you listen to the player, the only conclusion you can come to is that what he did is unbelievably stupid,” one of the league sources said. “How could he have really thought this was a good idea?”

This is the second straight offseason in which Roethlisberger has faced sexual misconduct allegations. A Nevada casino worker last July accused Roethlisberger of raping her in 2008. No criminal charges were filed in that case and the civil suit, which includes counter damages, is still ongoing.

The aftermath of the Roethlisberger investigation stands to dampen an eventful week for the NFL. The league will announce the 2010 NFL schedule on Tuesday and the 75th draft begins in primetime on Thursday.

The Duke
04-18-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm not too worried honestly

I doubt we'll have another 4000 yard passer and two 1000 yard receivers this year since they've clearly stated they are going to be more balanced

Rashard showed he was an excellent pass catcher last year, and will only get better. Him, plus moore, heath, ward, wallace, el, sweed....What more do you need?

yeah, you should worry more about the defense

wiz1120
04-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Why do that the week of the NFL draft? doesn't make any sense to take away from that with all the Roethlisberger talk

steeldawg
04-18-2010, 08:49 PM
well ward did have 95 catches last year he's not exactly rolling around in wheelchair out there

JSH6487
04-18-2010, 08:55 PM
This is setting a new precedent in the NFL that you can be suspended without being arrested or charged but only ACCUSED and it is absolutely RIDICULOUS.

Like Doyel from CBS said in his article...

"I live in Cincinnati. I see the occasional Cincinnati Bengal out at a bar. If I accused any of them of punching me in the face, could I get them suspended?

Hey, Commissioner. Carson Palmer and Chad Ochocinco decked me -- get 'em!"

KeiselPower99
04-18-2010, 08:56 PM
I dont agree with the things Ben have done or the situations he has put himself into but he is a grown man that has to deal with his own decisions. On the football field and being the Steelers QB I want him to do the best out there. In that case GO BEN GO!!!

Nadroj 20
04-18-2010, 08:59 PM
I thought this was suppose to be after the draft? Why are they changing it now?

Nadroj 20
04-18-2010, 09:00 PM
I think the offense will be fine....im not worried until i see something on the field that worries me...until then we dont worry

steeldawg
04-18-2010, 09:01 PM
I would go with what the girl herself said

Lol except she gave two different statements also.

43Hitman
04-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Here is an interesting blog entry. I found it very succinct, but take it for what its worth.

The Media Lynching of Ben Roethlisberger

[This post is now updated to include the Post Gazette's "botched investigation" story. I've just downloaded the investigation files, and will update the documentary sources for the claims later in the day. Today’s Post Gazette story once again presents a slanted picture.]

The media is lynching Roethlisberger. The reporting isn't factual; it's an ideological and contrived marshalling of events. People are printing the stuff that supports their bias or that has shock value. Here are the documented facts:

CHRONOLOGY:

1. The DA indicated that both parties were exchanging sexual comments toward each other (that he would not repeat in public, because of their graphic nature). He said, "it was a two-way street ... -- him to her, her to him -- [it was] of a sexual nature." (DA press conference, PART-4, at 7:35, http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/index.html [also at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apBOClZNRzY]).

2. The accuser and her sorority sisters were wearing stickers that "had 'DTF' written on the bottom of the name tag ... [which] stood for 'down to ****.'" (See Page 4 of 6 of police report, exhibit 16. http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2010/0415101roethlisberger15.html)

3. The accuser also said to Willie Colon, "You know my nickname?" -- and then answered by saying "DTF." When Colon asked what that meant, the accuser replied , "Down to ****." (See Colon's police statement here: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2010/0416103willie2.html)

4. The accuser "repeatedly attempted to get Roethlisberger's attention, including pinching him" ... and pestering Willie Colon to talk to Ben for them. (See Colon's police statement: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2010/0416103willie2.html)

5. The accuser was heavily intoxicated. [numerous sources].

6. The accuser was led down a hall toward a bathroom. (DA News Conference, PART-1, at 3:10. http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/index.html [also at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liHs6C7ajzg]).

7. There was a stool outside the bathroom. The club manager, Duncan, told police that he saw "a young lady sitting outside of the stool, talking to Ben." (Duncan's Statement is quoted by CNN here: http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/04/16/roethlisberger.incident/index.html)

8. The accuser was sitting on the stool talking with Ben for a little while. Duncan says, "... at last glance the [accuser] was still sitting outside the bathroom talking to Ben. That was the last I noticed of the situation." (Duncan's Statement is quoted by CNN here: http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/04/16/roethlisberger.incident/index.html)

9. The bathroom had cramped quarters -- less than 5 foot wide single-commode bathroom. (DA News Conference, PART-1 http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/index.html [also at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liHs6C7ajzg])

10. According to a police statement: "Roethlisberger explained to Aurila that nothing had happened and that Roethlisberger was in the back with a girl and they were "messing around." Roethlsberger then explained that the girl slipped and he helped her up and then came back out. Aurila stated that he took "messing around" to mean" kissing, whatever. ... Roethlisberger indicated to Aurila that the girl had slipped and that he had helped her up and once Roethlisberger had helped her up he told the girl that they were not going to continue. ... During the conversation, Aurila described Roethlisberger's demeanor as angry and shocked that this [the accusation] was happening." (Police report, pg. 5 of 7, http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2010/0415101roethlisberger19.html)

11. The accuser had a "superficial laceration" in the genital area, described by DA [and medical authorities] as consistent with having sex. (Or slipping while having it?). (DA press conference, PART-1 at 3:50. http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/index.html [also at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liHs6C7ajzg]).

12. THE SORORITY SISTERS STARTED THE INITIAL COMMOTION. They felt the accuser was too drunk to be fraternizing with Roethlisberger. So they acted based upon that judgment. The facts are:

(A) The sorority sisters complained to the club manager that Ben and accuser were together in the locked bathroom. (citation forthcoming)

(B) The sorority sisters are the ones who complained to police and said it was a "rape." From the DA conference: "The Sorority Sisters were doing the talking [making the accusation]." (See DA press conference, PART-2, starts 2:42 and key part at about 3:10 and 4:00: http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/index.html [also at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaRGdYizw7g]) (See also, DA interview, PART-3, 10:20 http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/index.html [also at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PsdE_KudoY]).

(C) The officer at the scene was perturbed by the fact that the sisters were doing the talking. Post-Gazette: "The victim's friends got on Blash's Nerves because he kept asking them were they back there with her, and they said no. The victim's friends were trying to tell what was going on more than the victim was, and the victim could not answer Blash's questions."

13. THE ACCUSER HERSELF WAS UNCERTAIN ABOUT THE MATTER. When the officer on the spot said "I need to talk to the alleged victim, not [the sorority sisters]," he asked the accuser if Roethlisberger had raped her. She said:

(A). "No." (DA news conference; PART 2, starts 2:42, key point: about 4:10: http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/index.html [also at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaRGdYizw7g])

(B) When asked if the two had sex, she said "well, I'm not sure." (DA interview, PART 2, starts 2:42, key point: about 4:20: http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/index.html [also at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaRGdYizw7g]).

[This statement was taken by the Officer Blash, who said she seemed inebriated, incoherent, "nonchalant." Blash's original version of this events has the accuser saying that Roethlisberger "did not force her but kept asking her." Ten days later he told GBI investigators that the woman said "well I’m not sure." The gist of both statements are of an ambiguous encounter]

(C) “While Mr. Blash was in Capital City, Officer Lopez interviewed the woman in a squad room at the station. … She told him something that officers found perplexing: the woman claimed that she and the 6-foot-5 Mr. Roethlisberger had sex while she was sitting on the toilet.” (Post Gazette)

(D) The accuser gave a statement that night to police that said, "They met us at the Brick and called us a 'tease.' .... His body guards took him back to the rooms in 1 bathroom. I said, 'I don't know if this is a good idea,' and he said, "it's ok.' He had sex with me ... ." (See Police report: March 4th. http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2010/0415101roethlisberger3.html)

(E) At the hospital that night, she said "a boy kinda raped me." (DA press conference, PART-2 at 6:00. http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/index.html [also at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaRGdYizw7g]).

13. THE ACCUSER'S NEXT-DAY STATEMENT OFFERED A CHANGED STORY. The next day, this is what the accuser said:

(A). "His bodyguard came and took my arm and said come with me, he escorted me into a side door/hallway, and sat me on a stool. He left and Ben came back with his penis out of his pants. I told him it wasn't OK, no, we don't need to do this and I proceeded to get up and try to leave. I went to the first door I saw, which happened to be a bathroom. He followed me into the bathroom and shut the door behind him. I still said no, this is not OK, and he then had sex with me. He said it was OK. He then left without saying anything." (See DA press conference, PART-2 5:25. http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/index.html [also at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaRGdYizw7g]).(See also, CNN account of accuser's statement: http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/04/16/roethlisberger.incident/?hpt=Sbin).

[Note several things. 1. This latest version of events suggested that Ben is commencing activities OUTSIDE the bathroom. This contradicts the eyewitness claims that: (a) she was seen talking with Ben at the stool outside the bathroom for a period of time (See bar manager's statement); and (b) that no evidence of sex outside the bathroom exists. No one in the VIP area of any entourage or any body guard saw anything like that. (See: DA CONFERENCE, PART-3, starting at 8:30. http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/index.html [also at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PsdE_KudoY]).
Finally, note that this new version of events selectively fixes the accuser's earlier statements. It fixes the rape-denial and equivocation she expressed about the encounter while retaining other things as accurate (e.g., "he said it was okay."). In other words, what helps her is retained, and what doesn't is not.

14. THE ACCUSER BACKED OFF SOON AFTERWARD. Soon after giving the next-day statement, the accuser began frustrating police. She did the following:

(A) From the Post Gazette: The Georgia Bureau of Investigation had trouble contacting "both the accuser and her lawyer, who did not return numerous calls from the agency" ... "Special Agent Monica Ling, the lead investigator, tried to reach the accuser 'numerous times' over the weekend of the alleged assault without success. Lee Parks, the woman's lawyer, finally called on the evening of March 7. Agent Ling said she wanted to take swabs from inside the woman's cheeks. Agent Ling reported having trouble reaching Mr. Parks the next week," and was eventually told the accuser could not help at this time.

(B) On March 17th, through her attorney's letter, the accuser says she doesn't want to go forward with it.

(C) When investigators had met with the woman, they were told unequivocally that the accuser did not want to go forward with the case. (soruce: Post Gazette)

[One should note that the vast majority of civil plaintiffs would want criminal cases going on concurrently. Any lawyer will tell you that a civil plaintiff is helped by a criminal case going first. One must assume that the accuser's reluctance here indicates one of two things: (a) the civil matter was already on a quick course of settlement; or (b) depositions and other matters may have rendered the next-day's position problematic. It is true that media frenzy and privacy are good reasons not to pursue things. But is this true if you have been wronged and can receive a major damage award? Or is it true if you have a drunken encounter and regret it? How many people get raped by millionaires and don't want to pursue even a civil case? And how many want to pursue one without pursuing a criminal case (the former helps the latter)?].

13. Both the DA and the police believe not only that there was not enough proof to win their case, but that THERE WAS NOT EVEN PROBABLE CAUSE TO ARREST. Think about that. Law enforcement officials think that the sorority-girls version of events isn't even worthy of an arrest. (See DA News Conference, PART-1 12:00. http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/video/index.html [also at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liHs6C7ajzg]).

Will anyone out there listen? People have every right to be disgusted with Roethlisberger for things like buying shots for girls, wanting a gigolo lifestyle and engaging in drunken and risky sex with strangers. But they DON'T have ANY right to be disgusted with body guards dragging people back to rooms, with sex against a person's will, with "she reported it quickly," and that, "he exposed himself and she ran away, accidentally to a bathroom."

The press is smearing Roethlisberger. Can we please make sure that, if we abuse him, it is for the FACTUAL THINGS and not a public lynching?

Some people have argued that drunken sex is, by definition, "rape." This isn't true. This confuses "consent" in law with "capacity." Consent is merely an act of volition (will); it doesn't require an intelligent choice. Having a drunken escapade that you later regret doesn't mean that you "didn't consent." If drunken sex was outlawed, both parties to the escapade could claim to be "raped," because any of the touchings that either person performed could be said to be "not consented to" (because of alcohol). So the issue is not that drunk people are forbidden from having sex; the issue is whether one of the drunken parties is being forced to have it, against his or her wishes AT THAT TIME.

Also, we can't be too patriarchal here. We can't apply what academics call a "gender construction." You have two people here being sexual with each other throughout the night and both are impairing their judgments with alcohol. The night ends with an encounter that appears to have been ambiguous and was regretted. That's what a prudent look at the facts shows. And it is perfectly permissible to criticize either Roethlisberger or anyone else for having an ambiguous encounter with a stranger when both he and the stranger were suffering from impaired judgments after a night of sexual flirting. But what is NOT okay is to lynch Roethlisberger and call him a "rapist," when the facts supporting that allegation are not even worthy enough for an accusation under the law (probable cause).

And what may be worse is the media showing only the accuser's day-after (second) accusation, and not its surrounding difficulties. I wonder how many in America know right now that the accusation began with sorority sisters who objected to a drunken encounter, not with the accuser herself? Or that, even in the hospital, the accuser could not say the matter was clearly against her wishes at the time. How many today on the A.M. talk radio take the accuser's second-day version as "the accusation" rather than as a significant derogation of what all the evidence that night suggested?

Here's my point. I have no problem with criticizing Roethlisberger for numerous things. I have no problem if the league goes after him just for having drunken and reckless encounters with strangers. My only concern is that they go after him on the FACTS -- not on this yellow journalism stuff. Stop the witch hunt, please.

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.

http://ludwig.squarespace.com/politics-journal/2010/4/15/the-media-lynching-of-ben-roethlisberger.html

BlastFurnace
04-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Get it over with. We all know he is going to be suspended. No time like the present.

steelerdave1969
04-18-2010, 09:08 PM
I think I will go with what Mr Rooney said during his press conference that he expects the decision to be made sometime the week after the draft.

whatdoiknow
04-18-2010, 09:10 PM
As much as I suport Ben, and as much as I say that first Nevada incident was complete BS, and that Ben was doing nothing wrong as it goes to any drinking or anything. But still, there was a civil suit, and Ben maybe should not have placed himself into that surroundings. And definitely should not have had whatever sexual contact, even if it's agreed upon like Ben saud...in a Public Bathroom. But with that said, I still say Ben should not get anything more than Marshall got. And he only got two games, reduced to one game. But if it's like 4 games, or more, then I will be mad as hell, and will forever hold Goodell, and Art Rooney as Hypocrites.

steelerdave1969
04-18-2010, 09:13 PM
well ward did have 95 catches last year he's not exactly rolling around in wheelchair out there

Nice point Dawg, I agree whole heartedly. I think the Steelers will find out just exactly what they have in Mike Wallace and remind you I definitely like the young man but things usually change a little in WR's 2nd season and now the pressure more than likely as the starter across from once mentioned Ancient One.. what a joke, Hines Ward is still a great WR and like he has already mentioned He didnt have a step to lose in his speed, I love Hines myself. As far as our defense, I think they will be fine with the return of Troy Polomalu and season of experience from DE Ziggy Hood giving some depth at DE and also the return of DE Aaron Smith, alot of folks seem to be forgetting just how important he was to our defense.

Stanley
04-18-2010, 09:18 PM
I think I will go with what Mr Rooney said during his press conference that he expects the decision to be made sometime the week after the draft.

I thought that was the plan. Not to make a decision until after the draft.
This latest rumor sounds like just that; a rumor.

:noidea:

BlastFurnace
04-18-2010, 09:21 PM
I am more worried about the defense. If we don't fix Gay's position this season, it will be more of the same.

I do believe that getting Foote back will reap benefits against the run though. I think he will play more than what we think.

My first pick in the draft would be one of these guys...whoever is available...Earl Thomas, Joe Haden, or Kyle Wilson. For some reason, I think it will be Wilson.

Losing Santonio on our offense...IMO...is huge. I was always a huge Santonio fan "On the Field". Guy plays fearless. I really don't think we could have signed him even if he did stay clean. He wants to get paid...really get paid and I don't think the Steelers were going to pay him. I think we are 3 deep at receiver. Battle has never really been that good and Limas may never succeed in the league. I would absolutely love to trade up in the 2nd round and get Golden Tate.

We have got to get someone in the draft that can help Mendenhall share the carries. He will get worn down if we don't. Not to mention, if he gets hurt, we need someone to pick up the slack. I think Moore can fill in, but I don't think he is an every game starter. If the team had any interest in Lagarrette Blount, I think it is gone now with the recent off the field issues. I doubt the Steelers will take a chance on a perceived bad character guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see Toby Gerhardt end up with the Steelers in Round 3.

The quandry with this team is that they do need to address Hartwig's position. Pouncey would be a good choice too, but I think we have areas that need to be addressed before his.

To me though, the season depends on how long we lose Ben for. 4 games or more and we are in trouble.

Godfather
04-18-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm not too worried. We have plenty of depth at WR. Dixon is a capable QB if it comes to that.

On defense, we have Troy and Aaron Smith back. That will solve most of our problems, which will also allow us to put Limas in the game with a lead of 10 points or more and let him build his confidence in low-pressure situations. We didn't have that luxury with our defense last year.

T&B fan
04-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Why do that the week of the NFL draft? doesn't make any sense to take away from that with all the Roethlisberger talk

I thought this was suppose to be after the draft? Why are they changing it now?

IMO get it out before the draft and then let the draft take over the talk and the hole ben thing gos away ..hope anyway

steelerohio
04-18-2010, 09:35 PM
I agree... let's just move on and look forward to the season...

Steel Warrior
04-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Who the f**k is Roger that he can suspend someone for "accusations"? When did this guy get this kind of power that he's now the morals God of anybody that plays in the NFL? And if I'm Ben, and the Rooney's go that same route, I'm holding out from any camps and they can trade me, period.

JSH6487
04-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Who the f**k is Roger that he can suspend someone for "accusations"? When did this guy get this kind of power that he's now the morals God of anybody that plays in the NFL? And if I'm Ben, and the Rooney's go that same route, I'm holding out from any camps and they can trade me, period.

I agree...Ben should be the one that wants out of Pittsburgh, not the other way around. The backlash from our own fans, our own media, and the Steeler organization towards him over nothing but accusations are ridiculous.

XxKnightxX
04-18-2010, 09:56 PM

Well put it this way my friend, the NFL has a personal CONDUCT policy, not a personal CONVICTION or INDICTMENT policy. You are disciplined upon your conduct and how it affects the image of the league and of your respective team. It doesnt matter that he was just accused and not charged, his ACTIONS, and his CHOICES AND JUDGEMENT, were seen as detrimental conduct to the leauge. No excuses you are a public figure and the Commish is your pappy and if you make a boo boo you get time out (to put it in laymans terms). Ben was not guilty of raping or pinksocking a girl, but he is sure as hell guilty of having very poor judgement to be trying to party with sorority sisters out of all people. So yeah I dont think Pacman Jones has resolved all of his court cases so hes still innocent till proven guilty and look at the suspension hes gotten. Now if Ben doesnt get suspended wouldnt that be seen as profiling on either end?

Im wayyy over this crap man seriously. Just hand out the damn friggin suspension, let him serve it, and regardless whos under center ill still cheer my Pittsburgh Steelers. Ill see ya in August at the meadowlands boys:tt::tt:

JackHammer
04-18-2010, 09:59 PM
I hate to break it to everyone, but it's not gonna rest for at least one season IMHO. It sucks, but that's the reality of it.

HometownGal
04-18-2010, 10:06 PM
A-freakin' MEN. :applaudit:

Whatever the decisions by Goodell and the Steelers FO, it is out of our hands and life will go on - - really.

HometownGal
04-18-2010, 10:08 PM
“Ben understands where this is going and he knows there’s punishment he’ll have to take,” one of the aforementioned sources close to Roethlisberger said. “He knows how much this hurt the team and the league. He wants to make this right.”

Good - then act like an adult instead of a teenager on a testosterone high and keep Mr. Happy in your pants.

Actions speak louder than words.

HometownGal
04-18-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm hoping the Steelers shore up the OL somehow via the draft so that our running attack can be more potent. As for the passing game - as long as Ben can keep the head on his shoulders in the game and not get a stiffy from seeing a couple of college girls in the stands, we should be just fine. :thumbsup: :chuckle:

We're fine at wideout and we have Secret Agent #83 in the mix as well. :tt02:

cloppbeast
04-18-2010, 10:13 PM
If the team had any interest in Lagarrette Blount, I think it is gone now with the recent off the field issues.

Was there something recent, because I only know of him punching the BS player?

HometownGal
04-18-2010, 10:14 PM
As I've said, the disloyal, fraudulent, fair weather fans call for his dismissal now, but in 4 months, they'll be cheering his name like no tomorrow.

QFT. :applaudit:

Hope they don't trip and scrape their chinny chin chins on their way back onto the bandwagon.

JackHammer
04-18-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm not even worried about Ben getting traded because I don't think the Steelers are dumb enough to do it.

mesaSteeler
04-18-2010, 10:29 PM
Good - then act like an adult instead of a teenager on a testosterone high and keep Mr. Happy in your pants.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit:

Well said.

steelreserve
04-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Well, if he's going to get suspended anyway, I'd rather find out before the draft than after it. That way if it turns out to be something ridiculous like 8 games, we can come up with a better plan. Maybe we're OK with Dixon, or maybe we find a way to bring in a veteran as a stand-in if it's a long one.

whatdoiknow
04-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Well put it this way my friend, the NFL has a personal CONDUCT policy, not a personal CONVICTION or INDICTMENT policy. You are disciplined upon your conduct and how it affects the image of the league and of your respective team. It doesnt matter that he was just accused and not charged, his ACTIONS, and his CHOICES AND JUDGEMENT, were seen as detrimental conduct to the leauge. No excuses you are a public figure and the Commish is your pappy and if you make a boo boo you get time out (to put it in laymans terms). Ben was not guilty of raping or pinksocking a girl, but he is sure as hell guilty of having very poor judgement to be trying to party with sorority sisters out of all people. So yeah I dont think Pacman Jones has resolved all of his court cases so hes still innocent till proven guilty and look at the suspension hes gotten. Now if Ben doesnt get suspended wouldnt that be seen as profiling on either end?

Im wayyy over this crap man seriously. Just hand out the damn friggin suspension, let him serve it, and regardless whos under center ill still cheer my Pittsburgh Steelers. Ill see ya in August at the meadowlands boys:tt::tt:

Okay, does that " Person conduct " policy apply to teams that ILLEGALLY Video teams practice sessions, and very well be responsible for winning against our OWN Steelers in a AFC Championship game ? Does that Policy cover NFL Head coaches who knowingly cheat on their wives, and bring attention on the league through the papers ? Or does it cover someone like James Harrison who without a doubt beat up
the Mother of his own child ? Cause all those example DID happen, as well as many more, and yet NO SUSPENSIONS were ever given. Can you say " Cherry-picking " ?

If that's too hard,,,try " HYPOCRITE " And then picture Roger Goodell, and The Rooney family.

cloppbeast
04-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Okay, does that " Person conduct " policy apply to teams that ILLEGALLY Video teams practice sessions, and very well be responsible for winning against our OWN Steelers in a AFC Championship game ? Does that Policy cover NFL Head coaches who knowingly cheat on their wives, and bring attention on the league through the papers ? Or does it cover someone like James Harrison who without a doubt beat up
the Mother of his own child ? Cause all those example DID happen, as well as many more, and yet NO SUSPENSIONS were ever given. Can you say " Cherry-picking " ?

If that's too hard,,,try " HYPOCRITE " And then picture Roger Goodell, and The Rooney family.

Well, I don't know that videoing another team's practice is illegal, but nevertheless, we're talking about the personal conduct policy for players - not a franchise. The Patriots were punished though, they had to give up a first round draft choice. They were also fined.

I don't believe the NFL is cherry picking, Goodell is just reasonably concerned about the NFL's image. Not too many people even knew or cared about Harrison beating up his baby's mamma, so it really didn't effect (or affect, I always get those confused) the NFL's image. When you have a high-caliber player like Ben walking into a bathroom with his genitals out of his pants and generally behaving like a genuine moron, with all the media attention surrounding the situation, Goodell has to do something about it. Also, when you consider his no-nonsense approach with players like Chad Johnson, er, Ochocinco, "Pacman" Jones, and Micheal Vick, all black players, Goodell would be flirting with a racial controversy.

rich4eagle
04-18-2010, 10:57 PM
The Steelers never had a franchise championship QB since Terry Bradshaw and had a lot of great teams since then. Those teams always fell short because in the end game at the end of a season the QB must make plays to win championships.

Ben makes plays and is a championship QB

There are not many

The record of Super Bowl winners makes that evident

Trading him like Jimmy Johnson said would be Stupid.............

but stupid has been done many many times in most things including sports and more important things as well

lets hope we keep Ben and he corrects his behavior and we win more Bowls...........because he can get it done

whatdoiknow
04-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Well, I don't know that videoing another team's practice is illegal, but nevertheless, we're talking about the personal conduct policy for players - not a franchise. The Patriots were punished though, they had to give up a first round draft choice. They were also fined.

I don't believe the NFL is cherry picking, Goodell is just reasonably concerned about the NFL's image. Not too many people even knew or cared about Harrison beating up his baby's mamma, so it really didn't effect (or affect, I always get those confused) the NFL's image. When you have a high-caliber player like Ben walking into a bathroom with his genitals out of his pants and generally behaving like a genuine moron, with all the media attention surrounding the situation, Goodell has to do something about it. Also, when you consider his no-nonsense approach with players like Chad Johnson, er, Ochocinco, "Pacman" Jones, and Micheal Vick, all black players, Goodell would be flirting with a racial controversy.

Your points make no sense. First on Harrison, you're telling me that beating on a WOMAN is NOT a violation of the conduct code ? If not, then what the F was Brandon Marshall suspended for ? And even if Goodell didn't suspend, the Rooney's should have if they had the courage of their convictions. They say that they hold themselves up and above the other teams in the league. That's why Santonio was suspended a game by them, and not the league. So I guess finding a little weed in Santonio's car is worse than Harrison hitting his lady ? And BTW, there IS a rule about video taping teams practices,,,It's " Black letter " Law in the NFL's rulebook. And anyone who saw that Steelers/Patriots playoff game will tell you that when we were on Offense, at times it looked like the Pats KNEW what play was coming,,,and guess what...they did. Doing what Belichick did is the SAME thing as gambling, or fixing a game. It is the most EGREGIOUS act that can happen as it goes to making the league look bad.

But Goodell has his head so far up Belichick's and the Pats BUTT that no way were their going to be any suspensions. And a fine, and a loss of a draft pick, especially when the Pats had 3 that year in round 1 alone is BS!!

Goodell is a Hypocrite. And the Rooney's are major A-HOLES and Hypocrites.
And that is a undeniable fact!

JSH6487
04-18-2010, 10:59 PM

This is exactly right. It baffles me how James Harrison can actually be arrested for beating up the mother of his child, not get any suspension, and now throw the book at Ben for only being accused. Doesn't make sense at all and is extreme hypocrisy by Goodell and the Rooneys.

Preacher
04-18-2010, 11:13 PM
I can't help but notice how the alleged victim's friends were the one who pushed the issue.

They normally are in rape cases.

cloppbeast
04-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Your points make no sense. First on Harrison, you're telling me that beating on a WOMAN is NOT a violation of the conduct code ?

No, I'm not saying that. It does violate the conduct policy, no doubt.

First, though, let's consider the purpose of the conduct policy: to uphold the league's image. As I've said, not many people knew about Harrison's indecent outside of Pittsburgh - so there could be no hit to the NFL's image as a result. In fact, bringing it up would have brought it to light which may have been worse. So as far as Goodell is concerned, why even bring it up? It was better just to let the situation pass rather than bring attention to it. Ben's situation is a little different. Goodell has no choice but to act, especially considering how he's treated other players in the past.

If not, then what the F was Brandon Marshall suspended for ?

I'm not really sure, but it probably had to do with drugs. Again, Marshall is a big time player and the issue was probably all over the news.

And BTW, there IS a rule about video taping teams practices,,,It's " Black letter " Law in the NFL's rulebook.

Well, maybe I'm being ticky-tacky here, but you said video-taping practice was illegal, which it is not. It's only prohibited by the NFL. For that reason, the Patriots were punished.

Goodell is a Hypocrite. And the Rooney's are major A-HOLES and Hypocrites.
And that is a undeniable fact!

Actually, by definition, that's an opinion.

Preacher
04-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Could have kept it short and said. Ben did not do anything. Girl falsely accuses QB. Girl should spend several years in jail!

Did you even read the article? Didn't think so.

Keep it short..

The police screwed up and didn't secure the crime scene until AFTER it was cleaned. The Sargent was out escorting and posing with Ben that night. That sargaent actually lied, saying that the woman first said she wasn't raped, and then later, he said she said she didn't know (which again aligns with typical rape victims, as they blame themselves).

Once again, we don't know what happened in the bathroom. But ignorant statements that the woman falsely accused... when the VERY ARTICLE BEGINNING THIS THREAD speaks pretty damnably against not the women, but THE POLICE, is completely unwarranted.

mesaSteeler
04-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Report: Steelers Won't Trade Roethlisberger
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/04/18/espn-steelers-wont-trade-roethlisberger/
4/18/2010 7:54 PM ET By JJ Cooper

Ben RoethlisbergerESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli is a Pittsburgh native who still keeps close tabs on his hometown. So when he says that the Steelers won't trade Ben Roetlisberger, there's some reason to believe that he knows what he's taking about.

There have been plenty of rumors this week that the Steelers were at least open to trading their franchise quarterback -- the rumors seemed to begin with a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette beat writer Ed Bouchette's post over at the paper's pay site PG Plus. The initial speculation was that the Steelers may be talking to the Rams about a swap of Roethlisberger for the No. 1 pick (and more) which would then be used to draft quarterback Sam Bradford.

Pasquarelli says it won't happen for a couple of reasons:

1) The Steelers are going to give Roethlisberger a chance to prove he can straighten up -- after all it's better to rehabilitate the franchise quarterback you have rather than try to develop another one.

2) The Steelers aren't ready to turn the team over to third-year quarterback Dennis Dixon -- no matter how much Mike Tomlin and the rest of the coaching staff may like him.

Well, one thing appears relatively certain. If there is any truth to the rumors of a Roethlisberger trade it would have to happen quickly. If the Steelers don't swing a trade by Thursday, it's hard to imagine any scenario where Pittsburgh would trade Roethlisberger for 2011/2012 draft picks. Trading away your franchise quarterback in any scenario seems hard to fathom, but trading away him with no immediate help in return seems to be the height of craziness (then again, trading away your best wide receiver for a fifth-round pick also seems insane).

One other thing is worth noting. In any normal year, there would be no rumors of a Roethlisberger trade. The salary cap implications of trading a franchise quarterback in the third year of an eight-year, $102 million contract would make any kind of trade unthinkable. But since there is no salary cap this year, the Steelers could trade him with no cap worries.

If it was a normal capped year, nearly $19 million of Roethlisberger's $25.2 million signing bonus would immediately be applied to the Steelers' salary cap.

The money is another reason a trade to the Rams is unlikely. If the Steelers' traded Roethlisberger, his new team would be getting a quarterback with six more years under contract. But the Steelers would get nothing back from the $25 million in bonuses they've paid out to Roethlisberger. If they then turned around and drafted Sam Bradford, they'd be looking at spending $40-45 million guaranteed on Bradford including another massive signing bonus. For a team that is not usually flush with cash, signing another massive check to a quarterback may seem less than appealing.

Preacher
04-18-2010, 11:24 PM

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit:

Well said.

:rofl::rofl:

:thumbsup:

Preacher
04-18-2010, 11:26 PM
I agree...Ben should be the one that wants out of Pittsburgh, not the other way around. The backlash from our own fans, our own media, and the Steeler organization towards him over nothing but accusations are ridiculous.

You're forgetting one thing. Ben KNOWS whether he just got lucky and didn't get convicted or not.

Therefore, it just may be, that Ben is thanking his lucky stars that this is ALL he is having to deal with.

I find it amazing that people keep forgetting the other very possible side of the equation.

Preacher
04-18-2010, 11:34 PM
You know what....suspend him for 8 games and then just take him out in the middle of Pittsburgh and just execute him. I think that may satisfy those who are so hung up on race.

I am so sick and tired of hearing about this. First and foremost the fault of this is Ben's for putting himself in this predicament.

Absolutely, and I am glad that other people recognize this.

Additionally, I blame Goodell and the Rooney's for prolonging this and not announcing his suspension right now. I know it's sacreligious to blame the Rooney's for anything...but that is how I feel. If you want to make a statement to society, then DO IT! Don't stand on a freaking podium with a long face and tell us how disapointed you are in Ben. WE ALREADY KNOW THAT!!! Get it over with. Make it a suspension for the ages. Make it count!

After thinking about this for a few seconds, I gotta say, you are absolutely right. I can understand not wanting to rush to judgment. However, there is NO REASON it should take that long. Furthermore, I think the Rooney's would have been MUCH better served stating that Ben would be suspended for X amount of games, regardless of what the league does, to run in conjunction with whatever the league decides. That way, the Rooneys look like they are in the lead, and not just going along with the league.

All I know is that the next person....and there will be a "next" NFL player...who does this...better get the exact same treatment and have as many people in the media obsessing over it.
Yes, but only to the point that it would have to be their second time in against the same charges. That IS a big difference.

mesaSteeler
04-18-2010, 11:34 PM
'Big Ben' could lose millions via suspension
April, 18, 2010
Apr 18

By James Walker

Embattled Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger likely will be suspended at the start of the 2010 season--and the move could cost him millions.

According to his contract, Roethlisberger has a base salary of $8.05 million this upcoming season. Therefore, it would cost "Big Ben" $473,529 -- or one-seventeenth of his salary -- for every game he is forced to sit. Players are paid by the league in 17 increments.

In addition, Roethlisberger also could lose a small percentage of his $25.2 million signing bonus if the Steelers choose to pursue it. In 2008 Roethlisberger signed an eight-year, $102 million contract with the Steelers that remains the largest deal in franchise history.

But since then Roethlisberger has faced two sexual assault allegations in less than a year. The most recent allegation, in Milledgeville, Ga., has caught the attention of the Steelers and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Roethlisberger wasn't charged but is expected to be suspended for violating the league's personal conduct policy. Missing two games would cost the star quarterback $947,058 this season, four games would deduct approximately $1.894 million, and an eight-game suspension would slice Roethlisberger's 2010 salary by just over $3.788 million.

(3.788 million, well maybe that will teach him to get a room next time. Of course not even that would stop a rape investigation and possible conviction. Remember Mike Tyson? Ben has to clean up his act. - mesa)

Da Steeler Soprano
04-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Finally something that actually makes sense!

mwittman5
04-18-2010, 11:42 PM
just speculation on my part, but could it be he steelers have found someone to trade him to and they want to see what his suspension is before the draft when the trade would be made

cloppbeast
04-18-2010, 11:43 PM
just speculation on my part, but could it be he steelers have found someone to trade him to and they want to see what his suspension is before the draft when the trade would be made

One could only hope

ricardisimo
04-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Very true. The mere idea of even thinking of trading Ben is COMPLETELY INSANE. How can he control accusations that don't have enough merit to result in a charge? Where were these people asking for Bettis to be traded back in the day?

How - or even whether to discipline Ben is a separate issue. I find it exceedingly odd to the point of disturbing that people who remember their basic jurisprudence with regards to Ben (that he is, indeed, innocent until proven guilty) are almost without exception also far too quick to pass judgment upon the women in these cases. And the cases appear to be growing by the day at this point.

Some truly ugly sentiments have been tossed around on these boards against these women for either just plain bad reasons, or else criminally misogynistic ones.

Borski
04-19-2010, 12:00 AM
I hope we keep Ben and I'm sure we will, but I do think a suspension of around 4 games will hopefully straiten him out a bit and he realizes he can't do stuff like that. He shouldn't have put himself into a situation like that in the first place.

Pittsky
04-19-2010, 12:06 AM
that's some expensive bar p***y....what a moron.

JSH6487
04-19-2010, 12:12 AM
Since the league is now suspending players based on only accusations, lets have everyone accuse Tom Brady of assault the week before we play the Patriots! Goodell would have to suspend him right?

polamalubeast
04-19-2010, 12:30 AM
The contract for the No. 1 overall pick will likely be staggering. Bradford's contract is expected to pay him an average of $13 million a season with roughly $50 million in guaranteed money. These figures are based on the past two drafts, when Matt Ryan and Matthew Stafford were the first quarterbacks picked.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5101290&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-19-2010, 01:02 AM
For those who want Ben to go down in flames, well, this doesn't help their cause.

I am (once again) not condoning Ben's behavior. But this woman was obviously drunk off her ass and, as an adult, she should be held accountable for her foolishness.

Preach... I know you want Ben's last name changed to "Rapistburger" but in your efforts to defame him, it appears you keep coming up short. You might want to *believe* he's a rapist, but that's a serious charge to make and you need facts to back that up. They just aren't there.

You've got an arrogant QB... Idol worshiping police officers (off and on duty)... And a woman who wants something that she knows she can't have. Throw in alcohol and that's a losing proposition... But let's just leave this story at that...

cloppbeast
04-19-2010, 01:22 AM
We don't know Ben's side of the story. And when we find that out, how do we take sides in a he said she said thing? How can you possibly side with someone on a case like this.

Here's the thing: Ben already said in his statement he will not discuss the details of this situation. We're never going to hear Ben's side of the story. He himself hasn't even denied the allegation, only through his lawyers. He did say, though, quite curiously, the prosecutors came to the right decision - that the didn't have the evidence. I would have liked him to hear him say, like he said in the McNulty case, "I didn't do this". He obviously did something though, because he apologized for the negative publicity. If he didn't do anything wrong and the allegations were completely false, the publicity would be solely the fault of the lying accuser, not his; therefore he would have nothing to apologize for.

If Ben behaved like a responsible, non-sexual predator that evening, then it would certainly benefit him to tell his side of the story, because the witness testimonies show him as a complete slime-ball. I suspect Ben's side won't make him look any better, so he'll use the perceived unreliability of the accuser to his advantage. We'll be left saying, "Well, we only have one side, so we can't pass judgment." IMO, this is Ben's PR strategy. I say, until Ben tells what happened, we should just trust the witness testimonies as we have no other knowledge of the happenings.

One interesting facet to this whole situation is the conduct of the police officers, which may have been Ben's and the Steeler's saving grace. No DNA was found at the crime scene because the cops forget to caution off the bathroom where the alleged rape took place. One police officer, who escorted Ben to the bar and had his pic taken with him, is now under investigation for his handling of the accuser's original allegation. In fact, the only inconsistency in the accuser's testimony came from the report filed by this police officer. Both hand-written witness reports filled out by the accuser are consistent.

As a team and an organization, they stood by his side throughout the entire process. Bryant even went to trial!!!

They probably believed Bryant was innocent, I don't know if the Steelers believe Ben. Plus, the whole situation surrounding Ben's ordeal, even if sex were consensual, is worthy of punishment. I believe Kobe fornicated with his accuser in a hotel room, not in a public bathroom on a toilet while body guards watched the door.

SteelerEmpire
04-19-2010, 01:45 AM
Cool stuff... LINK: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1004/ben.roethlisberger.rare.photos/content.1.html

steelreserve
04-19-2010, 02:24 AM
Wow, you can almost see the progression taking place. Reminds me of another series I've seen.

http://poetry.rotten.com/spiral/

http://poetry.rotten.com/spiral/downward-spiral.jpg

steelreserve
04-19-2010, 02:49 AM
The contract for the No. 1 overall pick will likely be staggering. Bradford's contract is expected to pay him an average of $13 million a season with roughly $50 million in guaranteed money. These figures are based on the past two drafts, when Matt Ryan and Matthew Stafford were the first quarterbacks picked.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5101290&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

What are we paying Ben again? $102 million over 8 years? That's what ... about $13 million a year? Oh, no, we could never afford that, since we're already paying a guy the same amount and would theoretically be trading him away and signing someone else for the exact same salary. The math is just crazy.

* Note 1: This does not mean I advocate trading away Ben Roethlisberger. It is purely to point out the epic fail of the "OMG Salary Cap" argument that supposes we could not afford to pay another top QB.

*Note 2: This does not mean I think Sam Bradford is the greatest QB ever and we should trade Ben to draft him. Bradford is going to suck the fattest dick since Jeff George because he's already seriously injured and his shoulder is going to fall apart. I wouldn't spend $10 or a 7th-round pick on the guy. He just happens to be the guy who is thrust into the #1 pick/$10M salary role and the OMG Great White Hype role.

*Note 3: Normally, I would say it's sad that I have to make these qualifications in advance because people on this board are so quick to jump down your throat for saying anything other than "the team is fine and I trust the front office." But I think that this piled on top of the shitty 2009 season have been a much-needed dose of STFU in that respect. Not that I'm happy about it, but welcome back to reality.

steelreserve
04-19-2010, 02:54 AM
OMG, suspending him 2 games would cost him 1% of his salary. I'm willing to bet that's less than he's spending on lawyers in the first place.

Preacher
04-19-2010, 03:08 AM
For those who want Ben to go down in flames, well, this doesn't help their cause.

I am (once again) not condoning Ben's behavior. But this woman was obviously drunk off her ass and, as an adult, she should be held accountable for her foolishness.

Preach... I know you want Ben's last name changed to "Rapistburger" but in your efforts to defame him, it appears you keep coming up short. You might want to *believe* he's a rapist, but that's a serious charge to make and you need facts to back that up. They just aren't there.

Don't be ignorant. I am actually offended at what you said (I bolded it) because no where on this board will you see me saying anything like that. Either deal with the actual arguments that are given, or let it alone. But please do not put words in my mouth. I never, not once, said he raped, or intimated that I believe he did. Please, try to find where I said I knew, or that I thought he did.

Now, back to the article at hand.

The fact of the matter is, this article states that the police completely screwed up.

It does not prove nor disprove Ben's innocence.

However, in people's zeal to make all things Ben be roses, they completely ignore the actual meat of the article, which is the fact that the police completely blew this investigation in the first few hours, primarily because a Sargent that was hanging out with Ben, taking pictures with him, etc., told two different stories about what the woman said nor did he secure the crime scene. Or did you miss all of that in the article?

Galax Steeler
04-19-2010, 03:30 AM
Since the league is now suspending players based on only accusations, lets have everyone accuse Tom Brady of assault the week before we play the Patriots! Goodell would have to suspend him right?

I would rather Brady play when we play the Patriots so we can make him eat the dirt the whole game.

Galax Steeler
04-19-2010, 03:35 AM
I was hoping they would wait till after the draft but if they go ahead and do it then the draft will give us some positive stuff for a change.

Galax Steeler
04-19-2010, 03:37 AM
Was there something recent, because I only know of him punching the BS player?

That is the only one that I know of to.:noidea:

BritishSteel
04-19-2010, 04:15 AM
The Draft starts Thursday. Short of some out-of-the-blue trade scenario, the media focus will move from Roethlisberger to Bradford/Suh and endless coverage of Tebow.

I hope.

Galax Steeler
04-19-2010, 04:22 AM
With Ben getting a suspension coming up hopefully we will have a soft schedule starting off this year so it won't be so hard on Dixon.

BritishSteel
04-19-2010, 04:27 AM
Dump the bad news before the draft, have a day on Tuesday where the media is full of it (like it hasn't been for the last week), move on and by Thursday it'll all be draft-talk. I can see the logic in getting it done before the draft. Helps the Steelers out too, because if they know what suspension is coming, at least they can plan for it in the draft if it turns out to be a monster suspension.

I suppose the one thing against it is that oif if does turn out to be a long suspension, we might end up spending the first two days of the draft listening to rumour after rumour about trade scenarios, but that might well happen anyway.

If it helps move the media onto some other subject (and the Board), then that's got to be a good thing.

zulater
04-19-2010, 05:12 AM
I doubt the Steelers will go after a portion of Ben's signing bonus over what's happened so far, or at least what's known to date. In other words if another bombshell that's already in the pipes, but isn't yet known about explodes, then yes the Steelers could act upon getting signing bonus money back. But I think it's the Steelers intention to get this behind them and judge Ben based on future action.

As far as money Ben will lose, I think it will be more substantial than any of us could guess when it's all said and done. Between lawyer fees, possible settlement payoffs, loss of sponsors ( I'm sure Dick's is done with him, and find that a bit ironic :chuckle:) and I believe the players get a healthy portion of licensed products that bear their number of image. In other words, less #7 Steeler jerseys, t-shirts, bobbleheads will get sold, less money in Roethlisberger's pocket.

Put it this way, Ben probably wont be turning down any future Pro Bowl invites (if they come) because he'll be needing the check. :toofunny:

I know , a bit of an exxaggeration, but regardless somehow you get the feeling that Ben's one of those guys who's going to be broke within a decade of his playing carreer being over. Or at least i do. :noidea:

steeldawg
04-19-2010, 05:30 AM
Dump the bad news before the draft, have a day on Tuesday where the media is full of it (like it hasn't been for the last week), move on and by Thursday it'll all be draft-talk. I can see the logic in getting it done before the draft. Helps the Steelers out too, because if they know what suspension is coming, at least they can plan for it in the draft if it turns out to be a monster suspension.

I suppose the one thing against it is that oif if does turn out to be a long suspension, we might end up spending the first two days of the draft listening to rumour after rumour about trade scenarios, but that might well happen anyway.

If it helps move the media onto some other subject (and the Board), then that's got to be a good thing.

Well under the bargaining agreement i believe the max he can get is 4 games

Kindjunior
04-19-2010, 05:41 AM
It is part of his legacy now whether we like it or not. Not only will you hear about it all season, you will hear it any time he is referred to after he retires.

HometownGal
04-19-2010, 05:55 AM
Good. Maybe he'll get his act together and instead of acting like an asshole when he gets the horn, he'll spend his money more wisely and rent a few porns, stay home and choke the chicken to his heart's (and Mr. Happy's) content.

HometownGal
04-19-2010, 05:57 AM
"Reading some of the reports today, he's obviously made some very poor decisions,'' Johnson said. "Obviously, he has to be penalized because he's made some poor decisions and he's embarrassed the Steelers and he's embarrassed the NFL.

"I wouldn't trade him. Quarterbacks are too hard to find." --

Bravo JJ. :applaudit: :hatsoff:

zulater
04-19-2010, 06:05 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_676995.html

A glossary to help you understand Big Ben Roethlisberger

Put yourself in Big Ben's place.

As distasteful as it might be, try to see the world through Ben Roethlisberger's eyes for a moment. That exercise is necessary to better understand how the Steelers quarterback could have disgraced himself so thoroughly.

Roethlisberger escaped criminal charges in connection with his recent repugnant conduct toward an inebriated 20-year-old coed in a Georgia nightclub, but the stain he sports from that inappropriate bathroom encounter might never fade.

To better understand Roethlisberger's actions, you have to consider his mindset. You have to realize that he obviously sees things far differently than most people — even seemingly ordinary terminology.

As distasteful as it might be, you have to assemble a Big Ben glossary.

• Apology (noun): An insincere expression of regret people often are ordered to make by their bosses, after the boss yelled at them all day for things that aren't even their fault.

• Bimbo (noun): A term of playful endearment for a member of the fairer sex.

• Blame (noun): A frequent bimbo pastime of finding fault with someone after they sober up.

• Bodyguard (noun): An off-duty police officer or officers hired to make one's bimbos feel safe and secure. (e.g. "Don't worry about your girlfriends interrupting our time alone, honey. My bodyguards will keep them away.")

• Chivalry (noun): A display of gallantry toward women. (e.g. "That bimbo was so wasted after doing all of those tequila shots that I thought she might fall and hit her head. So in an act of chivalry, I followed her into the bathroom to make sure she was OK.")

• Contrition (noun): An arithmetic operation, much like addition and subtraction.

• Haircut (noun): A high-risk invasive procedure that, because of its danger, should be attempted only in anticipation of meeting with the National Football League commissioner.

• Lawyer (noun): A really, really good guy who is paid a lot of money to keep all the crazy bimbos from taking advantage of people.

• Predator (noun): A member of Nashville's National Hockey League team. This word has no other meanings.

• Shaving (verb): A complex and dangerous exercise in which whiskers are forcefully cut and removed from the face and neck with a razor; like a haircut, this should be attempted immediately prior to a confirmed meeting with the NFL commissioner.

• Shots (noun): Small samples of alcoholic beverages, such as tequila, usually offered as signs of affection and devotion to members of the fairer sex; often distributed rapidly in multiple doses by VIP lounge bartenders.

• Suspension: (noun): A temporary and not necessarily unpleasant period in which one's pursuit of entertaining activities is uninterrupted by occupational obligations. (e.g. "Since I can't play today because of my suspension, anyone want to go down to McFadden's with me and troll for bimbos? Drinks are on me!")

Didn't know where to put this so I put it here, since this thread put's thing in a humorous perspective. :noidea:

:chuckle:

WH
04-19-2010, 06:05 AM
Yes, but only to the point that it would have to be their second time in against the same accusations. That IS a big difference.

fixed that for ya.

HometownGal
04-19-2010, 06:11 AM
fixed that for ya.

Good job! :drink:

I'm with the rest of you here. Stop poosie-footing around and hand down whatever punishment to Ben that you deem proper so that everyone can move on and we can actually look forward to the upcoming season without these clouds of doom hanging over it.

zulater
04-19-2010, 06:14 AM
It is part of his legacy now whether we like it or not. Not only will you hear about it all season, you will hear it any time he is referred to after he retires.

Like Koby?

Go to The Smoking Gun website, read the witness statement against Koby, in it Koby comes off way worse than Ben, and remember Koby bought himself out of that mess, so it's sort of hard to pretend it was all made up.

Anyway it's almost as if it never happened by the way Koby's currently thought of and treated by an adoring public and press.

Time can heal a lot, providing Ben starts cleaning up his act and quits making the news for the wrong reasons.

HometownGal
04-19-2010, 06:18 AM
How - or even whether to discipline Ben is a separate issue. I find it exceedingly odd to the point of disturbing that people who remember their basic jurisprudence with regards to Ben (that he is, indeed, innocent until proven guilty) are almost without exception also far too quick to pass judgment upon the women in these cases. And the cases appear to be growing by the day at this point.

Some truly ugly sentiments have been tossed around on these boards against these women for either just plain bad reasons, or else criminally misogynistic ones.

Considering all of the facts that have been presented thus far and the behaviors of these women (with emphasis on the behavior of the chickie-poo in Milledgeville that night), I don't feel that those of us who have come down hard (excuse the pun :chuckle:) on these "women" are off base. We pretty much all have acknowledged that Ben acted like a jackass and though no criminal charges were filed in any of these matters, he should be disciplined by the NFL and/or the Rooneys for tarnishing their reputations with his reckless conduct.

Venom
04-19-2010, 06:35 AM
In a perfect world , if Big Ben is suspended for lets say 2 games , lets hope and pray we play the Browns in week 1 and the Raiders in week 2 ( wait a second , didn't we lose to them last year ) ?:mad:

steelerohio
04-19-2010, 06:38 AM
My attitude is sooner the better... just get it done and over with...

BritishSteel
04-19-2010, 06:46 AM
Well under the bargaining agreement i believe the max he can get is 4 games

Of course - forgot that. Given that's the case, even better to get done, dusted and buried under Draft news.

Steelers>NFL
04-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Who cares how much money he lose! I only care about him being son stupid for putting himself and the Steelers in this position. Now that pisses me off!

Steelers>NFL
04-19-2010, 07:01 AM
Suspend his a$$ so we can move on!
Tired of all the bad publicity he brings to the Steelers organization!!!!
The sight of him just pi$$es me off!

BritishSteel
04-19-2010, 07:04 AM
What are we paying Ben again? $102 million over 8 years? That's what ... about $13 million a year? Oh, no, we could never afford that, since we're already paying a guy the same amount and would theoretically be trading him away and signing someone else for the exact same salary. The math is just crazy.

* Note 1: This does not mean I advocate trading away Ben Roethlisberger. It is purely to point out the epic fail of the "OMG Salary Cap" argument that supposes we could not afford to pay another top QB.

I agree - though it depends on what trade value is placed on him - I've seen articles suggesting that the Rams would have to offer pick 1 this Draft and their first rounder next year for Ben - on the basis that the Rams don't have a Lazarus season this year, even with Ben at the helm, that may well still be a top 10 pick next year. That's 2 first round top ten pick salaries we have to find over the next two years (assuming we don't crap out this season and go 5-11!).

If the offer was this year's first round pick and that's it, then it's just a matter of swapping the Rams likely contract for Bradford (which as you've pointed out is likely to be in the same ballpark as what we're paying Roethlisberger) for Roethlisbergers, and that's likely to be OK. It also assumes that we take Bradford with that pick - we might not - we might look at a different position with it and take a veteran QB for a season or two with a view to seeing how Dixon does with more time on the pitch. In the scenario I suggested, it gives us another year to look at our wages situation and who knows where we'll be in terms of the negotiations then.

And as Steelreserve said, this isn't a post advocating trading Ben, just a look at how trade value affects our potential future Cap situation, should we have a cap again.

Ricco Suavez
04-19-2010, 07:12 AM
Goodell and the league has their own team of lawyers, with that in mind I believe they will talk to The Steelers and Ben and will have worked out a suspension that will seem fair but not excessive. Ben will quietly accept his suspension and will not appeal. If on the other hand Goodell hammers Ben then the Union will get involved, and believe me they will. They do not want a precedent where a player (white or otherwise) being suspended without so much as a charge and/or a arrest made. With Ben not having so much as a speeding ticket on his record (his lawyers statement not mine) it would be hard to justify a long suspension based on opinion or assumption.

Ricco Suavez
04-19-2010, 07:15 AM
BTW I also believe that even if Ben is accused again, even if wrongly accused and charges are not brought, the Steelers will either trade him or outright release him.

mesaSteeler
04-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Old rules don’t apply in Roethlisberger case
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-reimer-column-roethlisberger-20100419,0,6888138,print.column

Steelers QB’s sex scandal lifts the veil on an out-of-control bar culture few in the older generation can understand

Susan Reimer

April 19, 2010

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is in trouble, and that smirk you see on the faces of Baltimore Ravens fans is schadenfreude: a word that means "taking pleasure in the misfortune of others."

Mr. Roethlisberger is waiting to hear if he will be suspended for conduct unbecoming a National Football League star, and Ravens fans are thinking Steeler games without Mr. Roethlisberger are Steelers' losses in a hotly contested AFC North football rivalry between the two teams.

Big Ben was celebrating his 28th birthday in a Georgia college town last month, and he got tangled up, according to officials, in a "dingy" bar bathroom with a "highly intoxicated," 20-year-old college student who filed a sexual assault complaint against him — and then asked the authorities not to pursue it.

Georgia authorities declined to indict Mr. Roethlisberger without more evidence of a crime. The quarterback held a press conference, apologized to fans and teammates (but not to the young woman), promised to do better. But Pittsburgh fans are so disgusted with his behavior that many want him gone for tarnishing the Rooney family name and the franchise they hold so dear.

And what I see here is a kind of modern family drama in which the grown-ups are absolutely clueless about the lives their kids are leading in bars late at night and can't respond with anything but anger when confronted with the ugly side of being a drunk 20-something.

That Mr. Roethlisberger celebrated his birthday bar-hopping with a bunch of buddies and buying shots for the women they encountered is not uncommon these days, whether you are a Super Bowl-winning quarterback or not.

That a crude game of grabbing ensued with the sorority girls in the bar is also not a surprise. After all, the young woman in question was wearing a DTF ("Down to F---") pin, which signaled her willingness to have sex, whether she really meant it or not. But this is a hook-up culture where people looking for sex don't really need pins to identify each other.

That she was reportedly too drunk to be sure what happened next is pretty common, too. If Mr. Roethlisberger was just some frat boy, it might have ended there.

But he is Ben Roethlisberger and the feeding frenzy continued until she declared that she didn't want to pursue the matter anymore. Next up? Her name and photograph will almost certainly appear on the Internet, and other women will come forward with stories of Mr. Roethlisberger's crude behavior.

Faithful readers know I am a Steelers fan, but I am no fan of the courting dance of drunken 20-somethings, and that's what this was, $100 million football contracts notwithstanding.

When does it become rape? The rules have changed so fast and to such a degree that the law and the older generation are without a clue, and it has become tougher to assign blame, much less criminal charges, which in Georgia come with a minimum 25 years in prison.

Remember when "No" meant "No," even if she had said "Yes" 10 times before or 10 minutes before? That doesn't work if both parties are so drunk they might not be able to identify each other the next day, let alone remember whether permission was granted the night before.

Remember when a woman's character or sexual history was not relevant? But what does a "DTF" button say?

These days, sex with a professional athlete pretty much guarantees a woman a payday, in child support or civil damages. Mr. Roethlisberger is in fact facing just such a civil suit filed by a Las Vegas hotel worker a year after she says he raped her. The suit was filed four months after he signed a new, $102 million contract with the Steelers.

But I don't get the sense that this latest girl was gold digging. The young woman had been bar-hopping with Mr. Roethlisberger's crew that night, trading shots and, according to witnesses, sexual banter.

No. I think there was something different going on here. Drunk was going on here and, girlfriend, if you get that drunk you bear some responsibility for what happens next, whether you get your purse stolen or you get roughed up in a dingy bar bathroom. And police reports suggest that the accuser was nearly incapacitated.

Mr. Roethlisberger acted like an animal, according to the standards held by the NFL, the grown-ups, and Pittsburgh fans. They all want him punished for behavior they've never witnessed and don't want to believe happens out there late at night in bars between some of their children.

There is no excuse for that behavior, but there is an explanation.

It was drunk out that night.

Susan Reimer's column appears Mondays. Susan.Reimer@baltsun.com. Twitter.com/susanreimer.

Copyright © 2010, The Baltimore Sun

(I'm sure someone will say it's not fair to go after Big Ben since he was apparently doing what others of his generation do. However life is not fair and he is 28 not 18. Consider that better and younger men who don't have 105 million dollar contracts are dying in Afghanistan right now so he can behave like an fool.

Not that I excuse the equally bad behavior of the young woman. She wants to behave like a drunken sl*t but and a Ho but does but want not take the responsibility for it. Once again actions have consequences.

Actually I hope Roger Goodell and the Rooney's read this article - mesa)

plenewken
04-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Here's the thing: Ben already said in his statement he will not discuss the details of this situation. We're never going to hear Ben's side of the story. He himself hasn't even denied the allegation, only through his lawyers. He did say, though, quite curiously, the prosecutors came to the right decision - that the didn't have the evidence. I would have liked him to hear him say, like he said in the McNulty case, "I didn't do this". He obviously did something though, because he apologized for the negative publicity. If he didn't do anything wrong and the allegations were completely false, the publicity would be solely the fault of the lying accuser, not his; therefore he would have nothing to apologize for.

If Ben behaved like a responsible, non-sexual predator that evening, then it would certainly benefit him to tell his side of the story, because the witness testimonies show him as a complete slime-ball. I suspect Ben's side won't make him look any better, so he'll use the perceived unreliability of the accuser to his advantage. We'll be left saying, "Well, we only have one side, so we can't pass judgment." IMO, this is Ben's PR strategy. I say, until Ben tells what happened, we should just trust the witness testimonies as we have no other knowledge of the happenings.

One interesting facet to this whole situation is the conduct of the police officers, which may have been Ben's and the Steeler's saving grace. No DNA was found at the crime scene because the cops forget to caution off the bathroom where the alleged rape took place. One police officer, who escorted Ben to the bar and had his pic taken with him, is now under investigation for his handling of the accuser's original allegation. In fact, the only inconsistency in the accuser's testimony came from the report filed by this police officer. Both hand-written witness reports filled out by the accuser are consistent.

My thoughts exactly.

msafford
04-19-2010, 07:51 AM
That is the only one that I know of to.:noidea:

I imagine he's referring to our own players and their off-field issues, as opposed to Blount's.

FantasyMan
04-19-2010, 08:06 AM
QFT. :applaudit:

Hope they don't trip and scrape their chinny chin chins on their way back onto the bandwagon.

Not a chance. We're not the Raiders, although a lot of you in this thread sound like their fans. It matters who wears Black and Gold and Ben doesn't deserve to.

TheWarDen86
04-19-2010, 08:08 AM
If Ben goes, I go..

See, now I want him to get traded.

:coffee:

Curtain_of_Steel
04-19-2010, 08:09 AM
Technically is the Steelers were to trade him, other teams would want to know the ramifications of the suspension. Therefore putting them out before the draft is just.

whatdoiknow
04-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Mike & Mike's show said that the decision will be nade today, so that it won't dominate the news the day the schedule is released, or on Thursday when the 1st round of the draft is on. I got news for all of you.....it's gonna dominate regardless cause during the draft, someone is gonna chime in with a secret Ben Trade rumor. Or does the suspension possibly mean the Steelers are souring on Ben, and might select a QB kinda early in the draft, ect. So I don't care when it comes out, they still will talk about it. I just wanna see how long it is if a suspension does happen. Cause anything more than 2 games, and really it should only be 1 game if you think about it,,anything more, and Ben should contest it.

But lets just hear it already.

Texasteel
04-19-2010, 08:24 AM

They probably believed Bryant was innocent, I don't know if the Steelers believe Ben. Plus, the whole situation surrounding Ben's ordeal, even if sex were consensual, is worthy of punishment. I believe Kobe fornicated with his accuser in a hotel room, not in a public bathroom on a toilet while body guards watched the door.

It is not unusual for an accused to let his lawyer speak for him, in fact I think it to be the reasonable and sensible thing to do, and the path I would probably take in his position. I thought Ben was apologizing for the embarrassment that all this has caused the organization and nothing more. Ben does not owe us and explanation or "his side of the story". I believe the DA got his side of the story and that is the only one that needed it. One thing I got was the feeling that the DA would have loved nothing more than to be able to prosecute Ben. I think that if he had had anything at all to go on, he would have been pushed the case.

Each of us will believe what we believe, some of us only because that is what we want to, but just because I haven't head "Ben's side of the story" from his own lips doesn't mean I will believer hers has to be true. Ben did in-fact deny this allegation, even if it was through his attorney

Steelers>NFL
04-19-2010, 08:36 AM
The only jersey i wore on sundays was BB. This year i will not. I hope he gets soundly booed at Heinz..
I never ever considered getting a BB jersey. Hines and Polomalu is what I have.
As well as Ron Woodson and Lynn Swann. All real class act.
BB - never was or will be class act.

Steelers>NFL
04-19-2010, 08:45 AM
2 games suspensing already!!! Let's move on...

Stanley
04-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Adam Schefter said on Twitter that the decision will not be announced today,

WH
04-19-2010, 09:09 AM
I think by waiting Goodell is screwing over the Rooney's a little. If they handed out a suspension or whatever and the Rooney's would want to trade him, teams could factor that suspension into their offer. By waiting until after the draft I don't think any teams would take the risk of taking him on and then finding out he's gone for 8 games.

So unless a team is completely desperate, Ben isn't going anywhere, at least on draft day.

desertsteel
04-19-2010, 09:22 AM
As I've said, the disloyal, fraudulent, fair weather fans call for his dismissal now, but in 4 months, they'll be cheering his name like no tomorrow.

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!! :tt04:

Dude, I've been a hardcore Steelers fan for 40 years and I won't be cheering his name.... ever again. Period.

lamberts-lost-tooth
04-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Roethlisberger will accept disciplinary action if not 'too harsh'
4/19/2010

Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will accept disciplinary action by the NFL or the Steelers without fighting the penalty if he and his advisers do not consider the discipline "too harsh," a source familiar with the situation said Monday.

That disciplinary action perhaps could be announced in the coming days. The source close to the deliberations said he believes an announcement could be made Wednesday.

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/5490/Roethlisberger-will-accept-disciplinary-action-if-not--too-harsh-/Default.aspx

Florida_Steelers_Fan
04-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Don't be ignorant. I am actually offended at what you said (I bolded it) because no where on this board will you see me saying anything like that. Either deal with the actual arguments that are given, or let it alone. But please do not put words in my mouth. I never, not once, said he raped, or intimated that I believe he did. Please, try to find where I said I knew, or that I thought he did.

Now, back to the article at hand.

The fact of the matter is, this article states that the police completely screwed up.

It does not prove nor disprove Ben's innocence.

However, in people's zeal to make all things Ben be roses, they completely ignore the actual meat of the article, which is the fact that the police completely blew this investigation in the first few hours, primarily because a Sargent that was hanging out with Ben, taking pictures with him, etc., told two different stories about what the woman said nor did he secure the crime scene. Or did you miss all of that in the article?

But you have been the largest proponent on this forum, standing in as both his judge and jury...you've sentenced him in your own mind and you've freely shared that here in numerous threads. I guess I wouldn't be so hard to single out a particular poster, but you have made your profession known (which I HIGHLY respect). I would have thought that you, of all people, would sit back and be objective regarding the facts, not your feelings...

There is a difference between what is and what you want it to be...

I'm not a Ben fanboy, but I will sit in judgment of him either. If the reports were to come out, oh say a year down the road, that some of these things were possibly distorted by these women, then what would you say then?

That's why it is totally unfair to jump the gun either way... Ben might actually be guilty of stupidity, but innocent of any wrongdoing. You don't want to seem to acknowledge that...

4xSBChamps
04-19-2010, 09:38 AM
Dude, I've been a hardcore Steelers fan for 40 years and I won't be cheering his name.... ever again. Period.

+ tax

Bng_Hevn
04-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Does he have a choice? If that were the case, only accepting it if "you" think it is not too harsh, wouldn't everyone play that card?

His arrogance is getting worse it seems.

4xSBChamps
04-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Does he have a choice?

Somebody is paying WAY-too-much attention

:drink:

kirklandrules
04-19-2010, 09:54 AM
I would be shocked if they trade him. My thought is they will suspend/fine him (4 games) and send him to Tiger camp to learn to keep his hands to himself. This is all about image and they need to clean his image so he comes out looking like a saint. BB should spend some of that lawyer money on a good PR rep and get his image cleaned up. They need to take pictures of him hugging his grandma, walking into church, spoon feeding starving children in Africa so people can think of him as something other than just a slimy man*****.

For their part, the Steelers can come out and say they are going to save his non-football future by punishing him and sending him to therapy. Make those statements like "this is bigger than football ... this is about life. We have a lost young man that needs this help and we're going to see that he gets it.".

MACH1
04-19-2010, 09:56 AM
It's called an appeal people, not arrogance.

Stanley
04-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Adam Schefter is now saying that sources tell him that the decision on Big Ben might be announced Wednesday.

Bng_Hevn
04-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Here's a scenario no one is talking about.

The Steelers trade Ben. (Highly Unlikely) They do this to save the damaged reputation of the franchise.

A couple of years later, the two girls decide to do what Kobe's accusor did, which is admitting she lied. (This is highly likely). The Steelers organization quickly becomes the laughing stock of the league.

For the sake of the Steelers, I hope they realize all the possible ramifications of trading their best player since the 70's.

If the Rams offered their 1st this year and 1st next year, you'd be crazy not to take it.

Ben is 28 and a hairs breath away from being retired by concussions. You have to weigh everything in the decision.

Reason not to trade Ben
1) He has helped the team to two SBs
2) He is pretty much a clutch player
3) Players look up to him as a legit leader

Reason to trade Ben
1) He is 28 and although he "could" play for another ten years, he may end up retiring earlier due to concussons
2) Off the field shannanigans - if you're a Rooney
3) Two first rounders would be difficult to resist

Playing devils advocate, let's say the Rams offered their first this year and next, which for arguments sake is a top ten. let's say the Rooneys want to keep Ben and give him a chance to work out his immaturity and therefore turn down the trade offer.

Let's say in the next 2 or 3 years Ben suffers enough concussions to retire him early. How do you think the Rooneys would look in regard to being a laughing stock of the NFL?

I'd say that Ben retiring and the girls coming forth to admit they lied have equal probability, especially considering the girl in GA was more than likely paid off.

I say if two high firsts are offered, they take it.

Curtain_of_Steel
04-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Well depending what it is, BB does have a good argument that he was not convicted. I think he could live with 2 games max, 4 he appeals it. Rightfully so.

Prok
04-19-2010, 10:08 AM
2 games suspensing already!!! Let's move on...

Agreed. I'm hoping it's only 2 games with appeal to 1 game.

:tt:

SteelGhost
04-19-2010, 10:15 AM
I don't like Johnson, but I have to admit he's right this time .... :thumbsup:

Stanley
04-19-2010, 10:23 AM
If it is true that the Commissioner plans to announce his decision on Roethlisberger Wednesday, that leads me to suspect that the Steelers are considering trading Big Ben for a high draft choice.

If the NFL/Steelers waited until after the draft to announce BR's suspension, other teams would be reluctant to barter for him.

FantasyMan
04-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Suspend his a$$ so we can move on!
Tired of all the bad publicity he brings to the Steelers organization!!!!
The sight of him just pi$$es me off!

:applaudit:

PalmerSteel
04-19-2010, 10:37 AM
i wouldnt be shocked at all to see it get done in next couple of days. i also wouldnt be shocked at all if the steelers FO requested it this way so they can at least listen to what kind of offers they would get for Ben, including other players and draft picks. i doubt they would, but ya never know, they may get an unbelievable offer for him, say a decent vet qb and the next 2 years first round draft picks or something?

plenewken
04-19-2010, 10:38 AM
I would have no problem whatsoever if Ben had a different GF every week, heck, even every other day.
I have a big problem with Ben making the headlines, 2 years in a row, being accused of sexually assaulting random women under sordid circumstances and I have an even bigger problem when his complete innocence can't be established.
No wrongdoing, you said?
The wrongdoing is, at a minimum, to put himself in these situations twice and this, in itself, is creepy enough to make me dislike the guy as a person.

pete74
04-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Does he have a choice? If that were the case, only accepting it if "you" think it is not too harsh, wouldn't everyone play that card?

He can always appeal.

Stanley
04-19-2010, 10:54 AM
i wouldnt be shocked at all to see it get done in next couple of days. i also wouldnt be shocked at all if the steelers FO requested it this way so they can at least listen to what kind of offers they would get for Ben, including other players and draft picks. i doubt they would, but ya never know, they may get an unbelievable offer for him, say a decent vet qb and the next 2 years first round draft picks or something?

If the Steelers are considering shopping Big Ben around, that leads me to think that his suspension will be light (2 - 4 games).
If the Commish suspends BR for 6 or 8 games, the Steelers will have hard time making a deal.
:popcorn:

vasteeler
04-19-2010, 10:55 AM
if they trade ben then they had better trade harrison and skippy as well and im sure there are a few others that are not sqeeky clean

SteelersJW
04-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Hey, that was back when Ben wasn't a Fat Bastard!

memphissteelergirl
04-19-2010, 11:25 AM
My attitude is sooner the better... just get it done and over with...

You and me both, friend! :doh:

GodfatherofSoul
04-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Wow, what more can you say? This pretty much nailed it.

wdsteel
04-19-2010, 12:14 PM
just joking now but see he got some tips from Tiger...not good :)

zulater
04-19-2010, 12:29 PM

He has a right to appeal just as any other player in the league does and I'm glad he's getting it out there that he wont roll over if the league is excessive in it's punishement .

It's without precedent for the league to suspend a player who's never been so much as arrested or charged with illegal activity. So Ben would be within his rights to protest any form of punishment and engage the Union to fight it out all the way to the nearest appallete court. The fact that he's basically saying he'll accept reasonable punishment without appeal should come as welcome news to Goodell who's pushing the limits of his power to it's farthest tether. Conversly this news from Ben will probably be met with some trepidation by the union who will now have to wonder exactly how far Goodell can go in legislating morals to their rank and file?

Yes I know with Ben we have a unique situation, and I can understand why the league feels they have to take action against him. But Ben has rights too, and while his poor decisions deserve consequences the league needs to play fair, it can't succumb to the lynch mob mentality so evident in the press and overplay it's hand in it's punishment of Ben.

Ben should accept no more than a two game suspension without appealing it in my opinion, but I'm guessing that he and his representation are probably drawing the line at 4.

Regardless this gentle salvo from Ben's camp was a smart move in my opinion and might influence Goodell's decision from swaying to excess.

LambertIsGod58
04-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Please let me know. I haven't heard one person come to Ben's defense. Not one teammate, not a friend or family member. I wonder why that is? The answer is simple. He's not a well liked person. Doesn't mean he's guilty of anything. But I look at it like this. There are roughly 1700 players in the NFL. Ben is the only one I know of to be accused TWICE. One cop has already resigned due to this case and another facing termination. I SO hope the Rooney's can shop him. I for one want nothing more than to see Ben gone. Two rings or not. I'd rather suffer with the likes of Korell again before I have someone of Ben's character behind center. Just remember all of you that have your opinions about Ray Lewis.....and for the legal trouble he went through years ago. Even though he was only charged with obstruction. I hope Ben has played his last game as the Quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Cowboysfan
04-19-2010, 12:33 PM
A glossary to help you understand Big Ben Roethlisberger

By Eric Heyl, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, April 18, 2010

Put yourself in Big Ben's place.

As distasteful as it might be, try to see the world through Ben Roethlisberger's eyes for a moment. That exercise is necessary to better understand how the Steelers quarterback could have disgraced himself so thoroughly.

Roethlisberger escaped criminal charges in connection with his recent repugnant conduct toward an inebriated 20-year-old coed in a Georgia nightclub, but the stain he sports from that inappropriate bathroom encounter might never fade.

To better understand Roethlisberger's actions, you have to consider his mindset. You have to realize that he obviously sees things far differently than most people — even seemingly ordinary terminology.

As distasteful as it might be, you have to assemble a Big Ben glossary.

• Apology (noun): An insincere expression of regret people often are ordered to make by their bosses, after the boss yelled at them all day for things that aren't even their fault.

• Bimbo (noun): A term of playful endearment for a member of the fairer sex.

• Blame (noun): A frequent bimbo pastime of finding fault with someone after they sober up.

• Bodyguard (noun): An off-duty police officer or officers hired to make one's bimbos feel safe and secure. (e.g. "Don't worry about your girlfriends interrupting our time alone, honey. My bodyguards will keep them away.")

• Chivalry (noun): A display of gallantry toward women. (e.g. "That bimbo was so wasted after doing all of those tequila shots that I thought she might fall and hit her head. So in an act of chivalry, I followed her into the bathroom to make sure she was OK.")

• Contrition (noun): An arithmetic operation, much like addition and subtraction.

• Haircut (noun): A high-risk invasive procedure that, because of its danger, should be attempted only in anticipation of meeting with the National Football League commissioner.

• Lawyer (noun): A really, really good guy who is paid a lot of money to keep all the crazy bimbos from taking advantage of people.

• Predator (noun): A member of Nashville's National Hockey League team. This word has no other meanings.

• Shaving (verb): A complex and dangerous exercise in which whiskers are forcefully cut and removed from the face and neck with a razor; like a haircut, this should be attempted immediately prior to a confirmed meeting with the NFL commissioner.

• Shots (noun): Small samples of alcoholic beverages, such as tequila, usually offered as signs of affection and devotion to members of the fairer sex; often distributed rapidly in multiple doses by VIP lounge bartenders.

• Suspension: (noun): A temporary and not necessarily unpleasant period in which one's pursuit of entertaining activities is uninterrupted by occupational obligations. (e.g. "Since I can't play today because of my suspension, anyone want to go down to McFadden's with me and troll for bimbos? Drinks are on me!")

Stone
04-19-2010, 12:36 PM
I thought it was funny that Bouchette wrote in a quick column a little while ago that:

"Coach Mike Tomlin did speak with his players this morning and said there will be 'zero tolerance' toward off-field issues."

And yet when Tomlin was just asked during the press conference on NFL Network about what saying that to his team, he laughed and replied, "I never said anything like that! Someone is pulling your leg!".

You can't believe anything you read in the newspapers!